New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Omnomnomicon (3.5 Food System)

Reading this thread makes me want to make a Factotum/Totemist, mixing and matching recipes with soulmelds, as many of these recipes come over to me as temporary soulmelds.

I'll need to read a bit more of the recipes to get a feel for them and where they sit power-wise, though I'm also now imagining an Exemplar specializing in Cooking. Ooo, the possibilities!
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaragosKitsune View Post
    How about (drawing from an earlier post) Metaconsumption.
    That sounds pretty good, actually. A little clinical, but it'll work for now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Reading this thread makes me want to make a Factotum/Totemist, mixing and matching recipes with soulmelds, as many of these recipes come over to me as temporary soulmelds.

I'll need to read a bit more of the recipes to get a feel for them and where they sit power-wise, though I'm also now imagining an Exemplar specializing in Cooking. Ooo, the possibilities!
    Well, they do have some similarities with soulmelds. Big difference is that these don't actually take up magic items slots, tho.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, Recipe critiques!

Bitter Venom Shake seems like it should serve more than one, especially with the bigger critters, so possibly be a function of size of critter taken from? Also, Wis to the save DC is strange, unless it's supposed to be the Chef's Wis, I suppose. Otherwise, if it's based on the eater, I'd make it Con-based.

Boiled Claws and Candied Carapace both seem like they should provide more servings. The claws is liable to serve 2, at least. (Chuul claws are huge and probably have a good amount of meat in 'em!) The Candied Carapace probably has a similar thing to the Shake for cooked critter size to serving ratio.

Blinking Breast is way too uber for 2nd level. Free blink for the next hour, whenever you want it? I'd take that in a heart beat! If it was just the Dim Door, that'd be on par with the Blink Shirt, which a 2nd level Totemist can do but the Blink as well should push this up to a Rank 7 or 8 recipe.

There should be of an Ankheg's Stomach to serve 2, I'd say.

Assassin Wine's Blindsight should probably be an Augment, not automatic, as that's kinda too awesome once again.

Bullete Claws are kinda weak currently, as you could claws much earlier than this. If you got pounce on top of that, rather than having to jump kick to get the extra 2, that probably would strengthen it up significantly.

Behir Brisket is really situational. I'd give a minor Lightning Breath effect to replace or in addition to the claws.

The rest seems otherwise pretty on-par. I await further recipes and/or other material.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #154

Alright, Recipe critiques!

Bitter Venom Shake seems like it should serve more than one, especially with the bigger critters, so possibly be a function of size of critter taken from? Also, Wis to the save DC is strange, unless it's supposed to be the Chef's Wis, I suppose. Otherwise, if it's based on the eater, I'd make it Con-based.

Boiled Claws and Candied Carapace both seem like they should provide more servings. The claws is liable to serve 2, at least. (Chuul claws are huge and probably have a good amount of meat in 'em!) The Candied Carapace probably has a similar thing to the Shake for cooked critter size to serving ratio.

Blinking Breast is way too uber for 2nd level. Free blink for the next hour, whenever you want it? I'd take that in a heart beat! If it was just the Dim Door, that'd be on par with the Blink Shirt, which a 2nd level Totemist can do but the Blink as well should push this up to a Rank 7 or 8 recipe.

There should be of an Ankheg's Stomach to serve 2, I'd say.

Assassin Wine's Blindsight should probably be an Augment, not automatic, as that's kinda too awesome once again.

Bullete Claws are kinda weak currently, as you could claws much earlier than this. If you got pounce on top of that, rather than having to jump kick to get the extra 2, that probably would strengthen it up significantly.

Behir Brisket is really situational. I'd give a minor Lightning Breath effect to replace or in addition to the claws.

The rest seems otherwise pretty on-par. I await further recipes and/or other material.
    firstly: You get an internets for being the first one to really review the dishes. *hands over internets*

Bitter Venom: Yes, it's supposed to be the cook's Wis. As for multiple servings, You do have a point. I'm not sure how I would produce such a table.

Boiled Claws/Candied Carapace: I could probably make it two servings, but the whole servings based on size thing is slightly awkward. I mean, the claws off a small scorpion would probably serve two halflings, but it would be a pretty small meal for a human.

Blinking Breast: If I moved it down to just the dim door, would that work?

Ankeg Stomach: Why two? If there's only one stomach, why would it make two meals? You have to keep aesthetics in mind. If you cut the stomach in half, you just have two piles of blah.

Assasin Wine: Okay, I'll do something about it.

Behir Brisket: There's a different dish that gives you the breath weapon. The Brisket seemed to me like it would be too powerful, if anything, especially in a grapple build. (Which is quite possible with the system as it stands)

Bulette claws: I'm aware the jumping is awkward, but I'm not sure how else to do it. I can't make it pounce, since the bulette certainly can't do that, and there would have to be some way to make the extra feet get up. Perhaps just give it two claws and two rakes? It could use the rakes in a grapple or use them if it gets pounce some other way.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-11-10 at 05:42 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    firstly: You get an internets for being the first one to really review the dishes. *hands over internets*
    Yays!

Bitter Venom: Yes, it's supposed to be the cook's Wis. As for multiple servings, You do have a point. I'm not sure how I would produce such a table.
    Something along the lines of 1 serving for medium or smaller, 2 for large, 4 huge, 8 gargantuan, 16 colossal? Venom glands aren't that big, usually, but bigger things have bigger glands and so on.

Boiled Claws/Candied Carapace: I could probably make it two servings, but the whole servings based on size thing is slightly awkward. I mean, the claws off a small scorpion would probably serve two halflings, but it would be a pretty small meal for a human.
    Is each meal intended to be filling, though? I'm imagining something similar to the above for the Shake for the carapace but the claws, since there's 2, should provide 2 meals, depending on the size of crustacean you get 'em from.

Blinking Breast: If I moved it down to just the dim door, would that work?
    Yeah, that'd work. Possibly make the Blink a higher recipe, like eating its heart or something.

Ankeg Stomach: Why two? If there's only one stomach, why would it make two meals? You have to keep aesthetics in mind. If you cut the stomach in half, you just have two piles of blah.
    Ankheg's are Large, so one Medium character eating their stomach is gonna be quite a bit, I'd imagine. I mean, look at haggis: sheep are medium sized and there's probably enough for at least feeding a human, so I'd assume there'd be more than enough of an Ankheg's stomach to feed more than 1 human.

Behir Brisket: There's a different dish that gives you the breath weapon. The Brisket seemed to me like it would be too powerful, if anything, especially in a grapple build. (Which is quite possible with the system as it stands)
    You could make it a little more appealing, like a grapple bonus, as the rake is the least bit of what makes Behirs awesome in a grapple. It's the Improved Grab and Constrict. The rakes are gravy.

Bulette claws: I'm aware the jumping is awkward, but I'm not sure how else to do it. I can't make it pounce, since the bulette certainly can't do that, and there would have to be some way to make the extra feet get up. Perhaps just give it two claws and two rakes? It could use the rakes in a grapple or use them if it gets pounce some other way.
    Yeah, the claws and rakes work. I suppose I was thinking of the soulmeld, which gives a Claw Pounce, which is why I suggested it.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #156

Something along the lines of 1 serving for medium or smaller, 2 for large, 4 huge, 8 gargantuan, 16 colossal? Venom glands aren't that big, usually, but bigger things have bigger glands and so on.

Hmm, I dunno. I mean, this wouldn't apply to every dish, and I really don't like the idea of coming up with table to fit each dish that applies to critters of more than one size.

Is each meal intended to be filling, though? I'm imagining something similar to the above for the Shake for the carapace but the claws, since there's 2, should provide 2 meals, depending on the size of crustacean you get 'em from.

Well, not filling, but it should be a noticable meal.

Yeah, that'd work. Possibly make the Blink a higher recipe, like eating its heart or something.

Maybe that would work.

Ankheg's are Large, so one Medium character eating their stomach is gonna be quite a bit, I'd imagine. I mean, look at haggis: sheep are medium sized and there's probably enough for at least feeding a human, so I'd assume there'd be more than enough of an Ankheg's stomach to feed more than 1 human.

True, I suppose.

You could make it a little more appealing, like a grapple bonus, as the rake is the least bit of what makes Behirs awesome in a grapple. It's the Improved Grab and Constrict. The rakes are gravy.

Trust me, there are going to be PLENTY of grapple-boosting dishes. Tentacle Roast/Constrictor Strips, Seared Paw, Behir Brisket, Primal Breast, Bulette Claws... throw all of them on one character, and you will have a BEAST.

Yeah, the claws and rakes work. I suppose I was thinking of the soulmeld, which gives a Claw Pounce, which is why I suggested it.

Well, you can get pounce of cat's paw already. I'm trying to avoid overlap.
    Replied in bold.

Also, new batch of Dishes!

Choker Breast
    Spoiler
    Show
    Choker Breast
    Minimum Ranks: 5
    Cut: Breast/Bacon
    Servings: 1
    Cook DC: 18
    Augment: Yes
    Ingredient Creatures: Choker

This dish, carved from the chest of a choker, is small and round, and sits on a bed of lettuce. Lightly seared, this cut is then drizzled with a sticky-sweet sauce. It has a remarkably smooth texture and it‘s incredibly tender, practically falling apart under the knife.

The eater of a Choker breast is almost unnaturally quick. He gains a +4 bonus on initiative checks and reflex saves.

Augment:
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, you gain an additional +2 on initiative and reflex saves.

Chuul Tail
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chuul Tail
    Minimum Ranks: 10
    Cut: Brisket/Rump
    Servings: 4
    Cook DC: 26
    Augment: No
    Ingredient Creatures: Chuul

This dish is boiled first, then cracked down the middle and served on a platter, much like a lobster‘s tail. However, where a lobster tail serves one, this large dish takes the place as the centerpeice, serving as many as four hungry warriors.

The eater of this dish gains a swim speed equal to their base land speed, and can breathe underwater.

Climber Claws
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climber Claws
    Minimum Ranks: 4
    Cut: Fingers
    Cook DC: 16
    Ingredient Creatures: Choker, Lizard, Shocker Lizard

This dish takes the form of a severed talon, most often from a lizard-like creature. Cooked until crispy over an open flame, this dish is not much for volume, but it has a satisfying crunch to it. The taste is something of an acquired one.

The eater of this dish gains a climb speed of 20 feet.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC, your climb speed increases by 5 feet.

Constrictor Strips
    Spoiler
    Show
    Constrictor Strips
    Cut: Arms
    Servings: 2
    Ingredient Creatures: Snake (Constrictor)

This dish is made up of the flaky, almost fish-like strips carved out of the sides of a constrictor. Despite the flaky texture, the taste is rather unusual, vaguely like pork, but somewhat quieter. The strips are usually deep-fried, though connoisseurs tend to prefer them without the breading and oils.

The eater of this dish gains a +2 bonus to grapple checks. In addition, the eater can constrict a grappled opponent with a successful grapple check, dealing 1d4+1.5 x str damage.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC, you gain another +1 bonus to grapple checks. For every 10 points, the constriction damage increases as though the eater were one size larger.

Crumbled Wing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crumbled Wing
    Cut: Shoulder
    Ingredient Creatures: Giant Bee, Giant Praying Mantic, Giant Wasp,

The fragile, gossamer wings of a flying insect are a beautiful thing. This dish is prepared by shattering the stiff wings and sprinkling them over a bed of chopped up apples and baked, melting the sugary wings over the tart apples. Best served warm.

The eater of this dish gains a fly speed of 20 feet with average maneuverability

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the fly speed increases by 5 feet. For every 10 points, the maneuverability improves by one step.

Also, I had the idea for a combat style feat. Fork and Knife Style. Trident in one hand and a sword of some sort in the other. If you hit with the trident, you gain a bonus to attacks with the sword, to represent holding them in place with the trident.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, new batch of Dishes!

Choker Breast
    Spoiler
    Show
    Choker Breast
    Ingredient Creatures: Choker

This dish, carved from the chest of a choker, is small and round, and sits on a bed of lettuce. Lightly seared, this cut is then drizzled with a sticky-sweet sauce. It has a remarkably smooth texture and it‘s incredibly tender, practically falling apart under the knife.

The eater of a Choker breast is almost unnaturally quick. He gains a +4 bonus on initiative checks and reflex saves.

Augment:
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, you gain an additional +2 on initiative and reflex saves.
    That's pretty sweet, not overpowering but still very tasty.

Chuul Tail
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chuul Tail
    Minimum Ranks: 10
    Cook DC: 26
    Augment: No
    Ingredient Creatures: Chuul

This dish is boiled first, then cracked down the middle and served on a platter, much like a lobster‘s tail. However, where a lobster tail serves one, this large dish takes the place as the centerpeice, serving as many as four hungry warriors.

The eater of this dish gains a swim speed equal to their base land speed, and can breathe underwater.
    Seems alright.

Climber Claws
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climber Claws
    Cut: Fingers
    Ingredient Creatures: Choker, Lizard, Shocker Lizard

This dish takes the form of a severed talon, most often from a lizard-like creature. Cooked until crispy over an open flame, this dish is not much for volume, but it has a satisfying crunch to it. The taste is something of an acquired one.

The eater of this dish gains a climb speed of 20 feet.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC, your climb speed increases by 5 feet.
    More Ape Strips. Yay, I guess.

Constrictor Strips
    Spoiler
    Show
    Constrictor Strips
    Cut: Arms
    Ingredient Creatures: Snake (Constrictor)

This dish is made up of the flaky, almost fish-like strips carved out of the sides of a constrictor. Despite the flaky texture, the taste is rather unusual, vaguely like pork, but somewhat quieter. The strips are usually deep-fried, though connoisseurs tend to prefer them without the breading and oils.

The eater of this dish gains a +2 bonus to grapple checks. In addition, the eater can constrict a grappled opponent with a successful grapple check, dealing 1d4+1.5 x str damage.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC, you gain another +1 bonus to grapple checks. For every 10 points, the constriction damage increases as though the eater were one size larger.
    Yowza, that's pretty kick ass.

Crumbled Wing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crumbled Wing
    Cut: Shoulder
    Ingredient Creatures: Giant Bee, Giant Praying Mantic, Giant Wasp,

The fragile, gossamer wings of a flying insect are a beautiful thing. This dish is prepared by shattering the stiff wings and sprinkling them over a bed of chopped up apples and baked, melting the sugary wings over the tart apples. Best served warm.

The eater of this dish gains a fly speed of 20 feet with average maneuverability

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the fly speed increases by 5 feet. For every 10 points, the maneuverability improves by one step.
    Low level flight, while powerful, this seems okay, since it's slow and low manueverability.

Also, I had the idea for a combat style feat. Fork and Knife Style. Trident in one hand and a sword of some sort in the other. If you hit with the trident, you gain a bonus to attacks with the sword, to represent holding them in place with the trident.
    You could just as easily make them Flat-footed against the sword strike, honestly. The Knife part could also be a dagger-like weapon, too.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #158

I like it when people review my stuff.

Climber Claws: Actually, I was looking over it and I think I might just remove the ape strips entirely and give monkeys the climber claws dish.

Constrictor Strips: Too kick ass?

Crumbled Wing: I'm a little worried about this one, honestly. I mean, most classes don't get flight at all until, like, 5th or 6th, and here I'm giving it away at 1st.

Fork and Knife: Yeah, that would work, and it would probably be more useful that way, too. I was thinking anything along the dagger-short sword-long sword line would be good for the knife.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-11-12 at 07:11 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Constrictor Strips: Too kick ass?
    I was looking primarily at the Augment, really, as it keeps its effectiveness as you advance.

Crumbled Wing: I'm a little worried about this one, honestly. I mean, most classes don't get flight at all until, like, 5th or 6th, and here I'm giving it away at 1st.
    Not quite true, as Druids have Master Air and Bards, Sorcerers and Wizards have Swift Fly as 2nd level spells, so 3rd level. Hell, Alter Self can get you flight via becoming an Avariel. That said, perhaps upping it to 6 ranks/3rd level wouldn't be that out and out wrong. Maybe even 7 ranks, so you're a level after the casters, if it bothers you.

Fork and Knife: Yeah, that would work, and it would probably be more useful that way, too. I was thinking anything along the dagger-short sword-long sword line would be good for the knife.
    More uses of the Trident is always good. Plus, short sword makes fine sense.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #160

I was looking primarily at the Augment, really, as it keeps its effectiveness as you advance.

Ahh, good. I was worried.

Not quite true, as Druids have Master Air and Bards, Sorcerers and Wizards have Swift Fly as 2nd level spells, so 3rd level. Hell, Alter Self can get you flight via becoming an Avariel. That said, perhaps upping it to 6 ranks/3rd level wouldn't be that out and out wrong. Maybe even 7 ranks, so you're a level after the casters, if it bothers you.

Master Air? I don't think I've heard of that one.
    As for upping the skill requirement, I dunno. I was basing all the dish levels off the ingredient's CR. It would be the simplest solution, though.

More uses of the Trident is always good. Plus, short sword makes fine sense.

Trident doesn't get enough love. It's pretty good as a weapon for underwater.
    I'm boldly responding!
    ...Yeah, that was terrible.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Air is in the Spell Compendium, it's a rounds/level fly spell that's Druid only. It's pretty nice, actually.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #162

Master Air is in the Spell Compendium, it's a rounds/level fly spell that's Druid only. It's pretty nice, actually.
    That IS quite a nice spell.

I'll just bump it up to 6 required ranks as call it even.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163

Sorry for the long pause. Work begins once more I'm still puzzling over how to do the classes. I'm still thinking predator would be martial, Gourmand a buffer/healer/support character, and then we'll have a third, a mage of some sort. Probably half-caster, only going up to 6th level slots or something like that.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Fork and Knive? Is this Toriko popping in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Fork and Knive? Is this Toriko popping in?
    Maaaaybe.
    Also, I wanted something to make use of tridents. I like tridents. I think it fits the battle-fork thing Quina had in FF IX.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Maaaaybe.
    Also, I wanted something to make use of tridents. I like tridents. I think it fits the battle-fork thing Quina had in FF IX.
    I like Trident's too. *looks at Avatar*

Never had the book that introduced Combat-Style feats, but it sure seems like it would fit any potential settings that would come out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I like Trident's too. *looks at Avatar*

Never had the book that introduced Combat-Style feats, but it sure seems like it would fit any potential settings that would come out of this.
    Well, they're in a couple of the 'complete' books and a few of the 'races of' books. Complete Warrior has a whole lot of them. Some of them are terrible, but the majority are quite nice.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

So, thinking on how to work with the predator, the idea of using ToB has arisen. So, now, I see two options. One, accept the currently available disciplines and make the class's special abilities work to flesh the class out as the predator. Two, create a discipline based on bite attacks and savage hunger. Or, three, combine the two, and create a discipline based on cooking and work the class abilities to focus it on predation. Suggestions?

Also, has anyone come up with a way to price ingredients so they scale properly?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

You may find this handy: Food and Calories

Cannibalise it and integrate as much as you want of it. I'd rather it get used as part of this (extensive, and frankly excellent) system than it only get used by me in games I run.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-11-19 at 09:29 AM.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    You may find this handy: Food and Calories

Cannibalise it and integrate as much as you want of it. I'd rather it get used as part of this (extensive, and frankly excellent) system than it only get used by me in games I run.
    I think it's interesting, but it looks like a lot of book-keeping on an already complicated system.

As an aside, I'd hardly call this extensive, just yet.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

Behold! I present another four dishes for your review. I'm most concerned about destrachan lung and Delver Steak. I'm worried the starting damage is wrong and that they don't scale properly. They are relatively high-level dishes, but I was trying to err on the side of caution. Also, delver steak tastes terrible, but I'm not sure about it. Shouldn't higher-level monsters produce more delicious and desirable meats? But then, there's got to be things that just taste nasty.

Dark Bacon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Bacon
    Ingredient Creatures: Cloaker

This dish is composed of strips of meat taken from the back of a cloaker. The meat resembles bacon, but it‘s black with pale white ribbons running through it‘s length. The dish tastes almost exactly like regular bacon, though eating it does turn your tongue black.

The eater of this dish gains limited control over shadows, gaining a +4 bonus to hide checks and a 20% miss chance while in areas of shadowy illumination.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, you gain an additional +2 to hide checks.

Delver Steak
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name
    Minimum Ranks: 12
    Cook DC: 30
    Ingredient Creatures: Delver

This dish is a truly massive steak cut from a delver. The meat is tough and chewey, and it has an unpleasantly sour flavor to it. The delver‘s acidic slime must be washed off and the steak must be soaked in vinegar before it can finally be grilled. It is generally considered to be more work that It’s worth, but some connoisseurs have a taste for the unique flavor.

The eater of this dish produces an acidic slime from their skin, specifically from their hands. If the eater hits an opponent with a slam, claw, or melee touch attack, he deposits a patch of the mucous-like sticky slime. This slime deals damage when initially applied, then additional damage each round after that for two rounds. To organic creatures or wooden objects, this acidic slime deals 1d6 damage. To metallic creatures or objects, this slime deals 2d8 damage. To stony creatures, objects, or structures, this slime deals 4d10 damage. The slime can be washed off with a pint of water or a weak acid, like vinegar. The victim’s armor and clothing dissolve immediately unless he succeeds on a reflex save (DC 10+eater’s con +½ eater’s HD). Similarly, a creature attacking the eater with natural weapons must make a reflex save of the same DC or take damage from the eater’s slime.

Augment:
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, the acid damage increases by 1d6 for organic creatures, 2d8 for metallic creatures or objects, or 4d10 for stony creatures, objects, or structures.

Destrachan Lungs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Destrachan Lungs
    Minimum Ranks: 11
    Cook DC: 28
    Ingredient Creatures: Destrachan

This dish is composed of the purplish lung of a Destrachan stuffed with breading and spices, then roasted slowly. The lung-meat is stringy and tough, but the spices and the long roasting help to make it soft enough to be palatable. It‘s got a surprisingly deep flavor, which the spices really help to bring out. The odd part is once the lungs are fully cooked, the web of veins crisscrossing the center of the lung tighten and stiffen, forming a web within the lung.

The eater of this dish gains a sonic scream attack that can be used as a standard action. This attack forms a cone 60 feet long, and all creatures within it are entitled to a reflex save (DC 10+Eater‘s Con +½ eater‘s HD) for half damage. The eater chooses flesh, nerves or material when using this attack. Choosing flesh, the attack deals 2d6 sonic damage to all creatures within the cone. If the eater chooses nerves, this attack deals 4d6 nonlethal damage to all living creatures within the cone. If the eater chooses material, he may choose glass, metal, stone, or wood, and this attack deals 2d6 sonic damage to all objects made of that material within. the cone.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the sonic damage dealt by the flesh and material attacks increases by 1d6 and the damage dealt by the nerves attack increases by 2d6.

Digester Haggis
    Spoiler
    Show
    digester Haggis
    Minimum Ranks:9
    Cook DC: 25
    Ingredient Creatures: Digester

This dish consists of the stomach of a digester, emptied out and then stuffed with a number of it‘s other organs, finely minced and mixed with root vegetables and a number of spices. Despite how unappetizing it sounds, it has a delicious savory flavor, though some complain of heartburn afterwards.

The eater gains the ability to spew acid from their mouth as a standard action, dealing 4d8 acid damage to all creatures in a 30-foot cone. After using this ability, the eater must wait 1d4 rounds before he can use it again.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, this attack deals an additional 1d8 acid damage.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Behold! I present another four dishes for your review. I'm most concerned about destrachan lung and Delver Steak. I'm worried the starting damage is wrong and that they don't scale properly. They are relatively high-level dishes, but I was trying to err on the side of caution. Also, delver steak tastes terrible, but I'm not sure about it. Shouldn't higher-level monsters produce more delicious and desirable meats? But then, there's got to be things that just taste nasty.
    Depends on how much realness you want for this. If you want it to be very CRPG, where +CR = +Loot, then yes, higher level stuff should taste better. Otherwise, somethings are probably gonna remain gross regardless of how many herbs and spices you try to make it decent.

Another school of thought I've seen on how consumables' flavor scales with power is that the weakest stuff have flavors like Peppermint and Lemon, while the more powerful tends to burn as they go down from the sheer power contained. Just depends on your take, really.

Dark Bacon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Bacon

This dish is composed of strips of meat taken from the back of a cloaker. The meat resembles bacon, but it‘s black with pale white ribbons running through it‘s length. The dish tastes almost exactly like regular bacon, though eating it does turn your tongue black.

The eater of this dish gains limited control over shadows, gaining a +4 bonus to hide checks and a 20% miss chance while in areas of shadowy illumination.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, you gain an additional +2 to hide checks.
    Not quite sure how a Cloaker is a beginner recipe, given they're CR 5, but regardless, the recipe seems at the right power level. Low level concealment does give me nightmares of playing the Shackled City Adventure Path, though that could just be how it was played and not be a reflection of the power that has.

Delver Steak
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name
    Minimum Ranks: 12
    Cook DC: 30
    Ingredient Creatures: Delver

This dish is a truly massive steak cut from a delver. The meat is tough and chewey, and it has an unpleasantly sour flavor to it. The delver‘s acidic slime must be washed off and the steak must be soaked in vinegar before it can finally be grilled. It is generally considered to be more work that It’s worth, but some connoisseurs have a taste for the unique flavor.

The eater of this dish produces an acidic slime from their skin, specifically from their hands. If the eater hits an opponent with a slam, claw, or melee touch attack, he deposits a patch of the mucous-like sticky slime. This slime deals damage when initially applied, then additional damage each round after that for two rounds. To organic creatures or wooden objects, this acidic slime deals 1d6 damage. To metallic creatures or objects, this slime deals 2d8 damage. To stony creatures, objects, or structures, this slime deals 4d10 damage. The slime can be washed off with a pint of water or a weak acid, like vinegar. The victim’s armor and clothing dissolve immediately unless he succeeds on a reflex save (DC 10+eater’s con +½ eater’s HD). Similarly, a creature attacking the eater with natural weapons must make a reflex save of the same DC or take damage from the eater’s slime.

Augment:
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, the acid damage increases by 1d6 for organic creatures, 2d8 for metallic creatures or objects, or 4d10 for stony creatures, objects, or structures.
    Delver Steak's Big Bolded Name never got changed from the placeholder, first things. Otherwise, seems par for the course and remains fairly relevant with the Augments, though dropping the Augment jumps to 5 would probably be better.

Destrachan Lungs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Destrachan Lungs
    Minimum Ranks: 11
    Cook DC: 28
    Ingredient Creatures: Destrachan

This dish is composed of the purplish lung of a Destrachan stuffed with breading and spices, then roasted slowly. The lung-meat is stringy and tough, but the spices and the long roasting help to make it soft enough to be palatable. It‘s got a surprisingly deep flavor, which the spices really help to bring out. The odd part is once the lungs are fully cooked, the web of veins crisscrossing the center of the lung tighten and stiffen, forming a web within the lung.

The eater of this dish gains a sonic scream attack that can be used as a standard action. This attack forms a cone 60 feet long, and all creatures within it are entitled to a reflex save (DC 10+Eater‘s Con +½ eater‘s HD) for half damage. The eater chooses flesh, nerves or material when using this attack. Choosing flesh, the attack deals 2d6 sonic damage to all creatures within the cone. If the eater chooses nerves, this attack deals 4d6 nonlethal damage to all living creatures within the cone. If the eater chooses material, he may choose glass, metal, stone, or wood, and this attack deals 2d6 sonic damage to all objects made of that material within. the cone.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the sonic damage dealt by the flesh and material attacks increases by 1d6 and the damage dealt by the nerves attack increases by 2d6.
    Seems right on to me.

Digester Haggis
    Spoiler
    Show
    digester Haggis
    Minimum Ranks:9
    Cook DC: 25
    Ingredient Creatures: Digester

This dish consists of the stomach of a digester, emptied out and then stuffed with a number of it‘s other organs, finely minced and mixed with root vegetables and a number of spices. Despite how unappetizing it sounds, it has a delicious savory flavor, though some complain of heartburn afterwards.

The eater gains the ability to spew acid from their mouth as a standard action, dealing 4d8 acid damage to all creatures in a 30-foot cone. After using this ability, the eater must wait 1d4 rounds before he can use it again.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, this attack deals an additional 1d8 acid damage.
    Missed the capitalization on the Big Bold Name for Digester. Otherwise good.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #173

Depends on how much realness you want for this. If you want it to be very CRPG, where +CR = +Loot, then yes, higher level stuff should taste better. Otherwise, somethings are probably gonna remain gross regardless of how many herbs and spices you try to make it decent.

Another school of thought I've seen on how consumables' flavor scales with power is that the weakest stuff have flavors like Peppermint and Lemon, while the more powerful tends to burn as they go down from the sheer power contained. Just depends on your take, really.
    Well, there is a rarity factor to consider. Rich people are willing to spend a lot of money to make themselves feel rich. If that happens to involve eating tarrasque cookies, or the most expensive dish on the market they can get their fat little hands on, then so be it.

I DO like the latter idea, though that would beg the question why anyone would be bothering to cook them in the first place if no matter what you do to them, they hurt to eat.

Not quite sure how a Cloaker is a beginner recipe, given they're CR 5, but regardless, the recipe seems at the right power level. Low level concealment does give me nightmares of playing the Shackled City Adventure Path, though that could just be how it was played and not be a reflection of the power that has.
    They are? I think I woulda noticed something like... Huh. so They are. I kinda nerfed the crap out of it, honestly, because I thought it would be too powerful as a 1st-level dish. I shall go remodel the dish to a higher power level.

Delver Steak's Big Bolded Name never got changed from the placeholder, first things. Otherwise, seems par for the course and remains fairly relevant with the Augments, though dropping the Augment jumps to 5 would probably be better.
    How did I miss that? Gah. Fixed.
    As for the augments, I was worried about how fast it scales for constructs, so I think I just over-reacted. Looking at it rationally, I agree. I will go fix.

Seems right on to me.
    I was trying to keep the damage die low since sonic's a rather powerful energy type.

Missed the capitalization on the Big Bold Name for Digester. Otherwise good.
    Fixed.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

New batch, including the fixed version of dark bacon!

Also, I was thinking about the earlier suggestion of a 'culinary' bonus type. I'm not sure if I should go edit in the culinary bonus to each entry, or if I should just put a catch-all at the top of the list.

Dark Bacon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Bacon
    Minimum Ranks: 8
    Cook DC: 23

The eater of this dish gains limited control over shadows, gaining a +6 bonus to hide checks. In addition, you can bend the shadows slightly. This ability can be used as a swift action while in any area of shadowy illumination to duplicate the effects of a mirror image spell, a blur spell, or a silent image spell. These effects only last until the start of your next turn, though you may use another swift action to keep the effect going.

Augment:

Dragon Lung
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dragon Lung
    Ingredient Creatures: Dragons, Half-Dragons, Dragon Turtle, Chimera

Dragon lung is a common luxury dish, very popular among the aristocrats, often viewed as a status symbol. Dragon lung recipies vary, but the most commonly prepared method is to poach the lung, before pouring wine into it and frying it with fresh vegetables and a light sauce. Dragon lung is rich and flavorful, the exact flavor varying slightly by the variety of dragon used. Red, gold, and brass lungs have a somewhat spicy flavor to them. Black, green, and copper lungs have a bit of a citrus hint to them. Blue and bronze lungs have a somewhat metallic flavor. White and silver lungs are almost sweet. The older the dragon used, the more rich and complex the taste, and the more noticeable the subtleties.

The eater of this dish can breathe out a breath weapon as a standard action. This takes the form of a 30-foot cone or a 60-foot line (chosen by the eater with each breath) that deals 2d6 fire, cold, electricity, or acid damage (See Table) with a reflex save (DC 10+eater’s Con +½ eater’s HD) for half damage. After using this ability, the eater must wait 1d4 rounds before he can use it again.

{table=head]Dragon Type|Shape|Energy
    Black|Line|Acid
    Blue|Line|Electricity
    Green|Cone|Acid
    Red|Cone|Fire
    White|Cone|Cold
    Brass|Line|Fire
    Bronze|Line|Electricity
    Copper|Line|Acid
    Gold|Cone|Fire
    Silver|Cone|Cold
    [/table]

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the damage increases by 2d6.

Drake Eyes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drake Eyes
    Minimum Ranks:4
    Cut:Head
    Servings:1
    Cook DC:16
    Ingredient Creatures: Dragons, Pseudodragon

This dish is made of a dragon‘s eyes. The eyes are usually boiled, and often breaded for the weak of stomach. Some of the larger dragon eyes can be served sliced up into breaded rings and dipped in the fluid of the eye. The eyes are actually rather bland, but creative use of spices in the breading can help bring flavor to it.

The eater of the drake eye gains blindsense out to 20 feet.

Augment:
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, the range of the blindsense increases by 10 feet.

Drumstick
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drumstick
    Cut: Thigh
    Ingredient Creatures: Eagle, Hawk, Owl, Giant Owl, Giant Eagle, Roc, Stirge, Yrthak

It‘s said that a ranger-colonel was the first to perfect this recipe. The drumstick is breaded with a special blend of common herbs and spices that can be gathered in almost any forest. The exact combination is a secret, but most aspiring chef figure out their own imitation of the famous dish.

The eater of the drumstick gains a +2 bonus to dexterity.

Augment:
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, the dexterity bonus increases by 2.

Dryad Tongue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dryad Tongue
    Minimum Ranks: 6
    Cut: Head
    Cook DC: 20
    Ingredient Creatures:

This dish is often considered to be a delicacy, but only by those with somewhat loose morals. The tongue is usually grilled, then chopped into thin slices. It‘s not a lot of food, but it‘s flavor is a strange and quite pleasant combination of the sweetness of fresh fruit and the texture of meat.

The eater of this dish gains the ability to speak with plants, as though under a speak with plants spell, and can use entangle as a spell-like ability at-will. The eater also gains a +4 bonus to bluff, and diplomacy checks.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the bonus to bluff and diplomacy increases by +2.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

New recipes look all good to me, though Dryad Tongue is missing its Ingredient Creature entry, namely Dryad.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

You forgot the elves. They're a dwarf's favorite light snack!

27. - Top - End - #177

New recipes look all good to me, though Dryad Tongue is missing its Ingredient Creature entry, namely Dryad.
    *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    You forgot the elves. They're a dwarf's favorite light snack!
    We're gettin' there. That will be the anthropophage's whole schtick.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do you have a system for weight gain given how many characters are going to get fat going after these buffs?
    Custom Avatar by Ceika
    Spoiler: Me as a Character... and Planeswalker
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-17
    But I'd definitely multi-class Druid with those stats.

Spoiler: My D&D 5E Homebrews
    Show

Rolling for PC Stats = Always a stupid idea.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I like that these dishes give you a huge magical benefit, but they should probably be limited effects rather than permanent effects. I'd say that the effects would wear off in 24 hours.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I like that these dishes give you a huge magical benefit, but they should probably be limited effects rather than permanent effects. I'd say that the effects would wear off in 24 hours.

Debby
    They last an hour right now, I think, so hardly permanent.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!