New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Omnomnomicon (3.5 Food System)

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    They last an hour right now, I think, so hardly permanent.
    They last 1-3 hours for non-cooks, the duration based on ranks. Cooks will be getting class features that make their dishes last longer, first only if the cook consumes them himself, then there will be ones that allow them to persist them on others.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, but what about the calories, man?!
    Custom Avatar by Ceika
    Spoiler: Me as a Character... and Planeswalker
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-17
    But I'd definitely multi-class Druid with those stats.

Spoiler: My D&D 5E Homebrews
    Show

Rolling for PC Stats = Always a stupid idea.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Princess View Post
    Yes, but what about the calories, man?!
    Actually, I was going to try to develop a system of 'bulk points'. It's hard to model long-term weigh gain, though. I was thinking it would be bonuses to stability, maybe some DR, maybe, eventually, powerful build.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Actually, I was going to try to develop a system of 'bulk points'. It's hard to model long-term weigh gain, though. I was thinking it would be bonuses to stability, maybe some DR, maybe, eventually, powerful build.
    Powerfully Built? More like Pudgilly Built!
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

All I can say after reading all this (as someone who was once a professional chef) is," Get in mah bellah!"

6. - Top - End - #186

Powerfully Built? More like Pudgilly Built!
    i might have to actually make that. No plus-sized weapons, but you still have all the weight of a larger critter and can thus throw it around more effectively.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

I would add:
    Cakes that make you grow and water that makes you shrink.
    Dinosaur Egg Omelette.
    Special Dwarven Drinks that increase CON and STR.
    A system for getting drunk.
    Elf kabobs (I play DF).

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

They last an hour right now, I think, so hardly permanent.
    Thanks, I missed that earlier.

One more thing: There's the Deformity (Obese) [Vile] Feat from Book of Vile Darkness (page 48-49) that could be used.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-02 at 10:32 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Thanks, I missed that earlier.

One more thing: There's the Deformity (Obese) [Vile] Feat from Book of Vile Darkness (page 48-49) that could be used.

Debby
    I might take the bonus v. poison, but I'm leaving the rest of that feat alone.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190

By public demand, I continue my labors! Three new dishes!

Spoiler
    Show
    Eagle Eye Bites
    Minimum Ranks: 4
    Cut: Head
    Servings: 1
    Cook DC: 16
    Augment: Yes
    Ingredient Creatures: Eagle, Hawk, Griffon, Hippogryph, Roc, Manticore

These are the eyes of an eagle, served plain or breaded, often fried. Despite the numerous eye dishes that are about, these dishes are still rarely served.

The eater of this dish gains a +4 bonus to spot checks.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the bonus to spot checks increases by 2.

Ear Sandwich
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ear Sandwiches
    Ingredient Creatures: Destrachan, Bat, Dire Bat, Darkmantle

The sandwich can be prepared with any number of combinations of breaks, cheeses, spreads, and other filliers, but the main ingredient remains the same, a pair of severed ears sandwiched between two slices of warm bread. The dish has a soft flavor that is relatively easy to lose track of, considering the chewing involved.

The eater can use sound and vibration to determine the location of enemies, gaining blindsense out to 30 feet and a +4 bonus to listen checks.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the listen bonus increases by two.
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, the range of your blindsense increases by five feet.

Eye Kebab
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eye Kebab
    Minimum Ranks: 7
    Servings: 4
    Cook DC: 21
    Ingredient Creatures: Beholder

This dish is composed of the eyestalk of a beholder, severed, and skewered on a stake, then roasted over an open flame. The meat is stringy and tough, with a deep richness to it once you overcome the chewing.
    The eater of this dish can fire a pair of energy beams from their eyes. With a standard action, the eater can make a ranged touch attack against any creature within 60 feet. The eater can make a second ranged touch attack with the same range against either the same target or a second target within a 90-degree arc of the first target.. These attacks deal 2d6 damage each.

Augment:
    For every five points you bea the DC by, the damage of these attacks increases by 1d6.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191

In case that wasn't enough for you, have another batch!

Fade Wrap
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fade Wrap
    Minimum Ranks: 7
    Cut: Shoulder
    Cook DC: 21
    Augment: No
    Ingredient Creatures: Pixie

This dish is relatively simple to prepare, though it requires a steady hand to do so. Basically, the cook cuts three foot-long strips from the back of a pixie, one on either side of the wings and one between them, taking a half-inch of meat with them. The strips are then fried and rolled, with the skin out, into a trio of small, spiral rolls, then held together with short wooden skewers and served. The dish is generally only favored by the evil, though it‘s power can sometimes lure others.

The eater of the fade wrap can spend a swift action to turn himself and his possessions invisible, as with the invisibility spell, for one round. As long as he continues to spend swift actions, the effect can last indefinitely, though attacking or casting a spell still dispels the invisibility until he spends another swift action to go invisible once more.

Feeler Sizzle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feeler Sizzle
    Minimum Ranks: 6
    Cut: Fingers
    Servings: 2
    Cook DC: 20
    Augment: No
    Ingredient Creatures: Rust Monster

This dish is made from the feeler of a rust monster. The preparation method is quite interesting. The feeler is first laid out and sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Then, the feeler is held over heat. The feeler curls inward as it is exposed to heat, forming a tight, spiraled ball. Overall, eating the dish is the most usual part of the meal, as the coiled feeler makes it difficult to properly bite into. It is not particularly filling, and it has a slightly coppery aftertaste, but it‘s rather sweet.

The eater of this dish can instantly rust any metallic object he touches. By making a melee touch attack, unarmed strike, or claw attack against a metallic object or creature, the target is affected as though targeted by a rusting grasp spell, although magic items may be affected by it as well. Magic items made of metal may make a reflex save (DC 10+½ cook’s level+con) to escape destruction.

Fey Skin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fey Skin
    Cut: Brisket/Rump
    Ingredient Creatures: Dryad, Nymph, Satyr, Sprites

This dish is composed of the skin peeled off a fey, usually rolled up with some light spices and fried until slightly crispy on the outside.

The eater of this dish gains DR 1/Cold Iron.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the DR granted increases by one point.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Eagle Eye Bites and Ear Sandwiches seem appropriate, though I wonder about whether Darkmantles actually have ears or not. Also, I don't know what 'breaks' are for in Sandwiches, though I assume that's supposed to be 'breads'.

Eye Kebabs seem way low in ranks, consider Beholders are CR 13. If this also applies to Beholderkin, I could see maybe using an Eyeball or a Spectator, but otherwise, yeah, it needs pumping up to compare.

Fade Wrap would probably work better as Faux-Ghost Step, as at-will Swift Invisibility is all well and good but even Pixies get permanent Greater Invis, so let's make it semi-worthwhile with your constant flickering in and out of sight.

Feeler Sizzle feels powerful, though Rust Monsters always felt a bit unbalancing to me. It's probably alright, though.

Fey Skin seems spot on, though I see piles of skinned Grigs littering some evil chef's lair now.

A thought occurs to me that Profession(Cook) should provide a synergy bonus to the Cooking skill and perhaps vise versa, as they're based on similar techniques and being trained in one probably carries over well to the other.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

I DID IT!

I CAME UP WITH A SYSTEM FOR INTOXICATION LEVELS!!!

it effects
    Lungs for Smoking
    Liver For Drinking
    Stomach for over eating
    and Heart.

i assume people are intrested so heres how it goes.....

effetively your organ recives 1d2 HD per HD your character has, so a 10th level character will have 10d2 + CON SCORE!! (thats right score) the heart has 1D3

this gives you how much damage those organs can take from smoking, drinking, eating, etc

taking damage works the same as in combat......
    you take a shot of dwarven ale, you take damage to your liver, no save, or you could save for half damage depending on DM the full write up is more detailed.

anyways effectively when you reach 0 you cannot do no more without passing out from intoxication

if you decide to do more than this you black out if some how you get to -10 hp on your organs you need immediate medical treatment, via healing magic or technology or something else. in d20 modern this would call for an Amublence to be called and your stomach pumped.

now if you go OVER -10 hp on your organs you then carry the damage over to your heart.

if your character is a constant smoker or drinker over the space of 6 months game time you constantly loose points every 6 months to your organ HP, this than leads to heart disease, liver failure, possibly even cancer.

another nice little niche for people is this.....

for every 4 points of damage taken to an organ (depending on the organ)
    PC's take -2 on everything, so after 8 points of drinking i would loose a circumstantial -4 to int, wis & cha

Bonuses are at Dm's Dis-gression for example being drunk makes you stronger or more able to take a hit etc.

thats my system though, watch out Elan, tummy aches are VERY REAL!

feed back is always appriciated

Itous
    a most exellent thank you to RPGsr4me for the brilliant avatars

14. - Top - End - #194

Eagle Eye Bites and Ear Sandwiches seem appropriate, though I wonder about whether Darkmantles actually have ears or not. Also, I don't know what 'breaks' are for in Sandwiches, though I assume that's supposed to be 'breads'.

Eye Kebabs seem way low in ranks, consider Beholders are CR 13. If this also applies to Beholderkin, I could see maybe using an Eyeball or a Spectator, but otherwise, yeah, it needs pumping up to compare.

Fade Wrap would probably work better as Faux-Ghost Step, as at-will Swift Invisibility is all well and good but even Pixies get permanent Greater Invis, so let's make it semi-worthwhile with your constant flickering in and out of sight.

Feeler Sizzle feels powerful, though Rust Monsters always felt a bit unbalancing to me. It's probably alright, though.

Fey Skin seems spot on, though I see piles of skinned Grigs littering some evil chef's lair now.

A thought occurs to me that Profession(Cook) should provide a synergy bonus to the Cooking skill and perhaps vise versa, as they're based on similar techniques and being trained in one probably carries over well to the other.
    I shall go fix the typo in the sandviches.

I was including beholderkin in there, yes.

You mean the ethereal ghost step? I could just make it invisibility usable as a swift action, so you don't have to keep spending actions on it. still, greater invisibility is a 4th level spell, not available until 7th level. I think it would be a little much to grant it that early.

Well, rusting grasp is a fourth-level spell, and it doesn't affect magic items. It very well might be too strong. Though, honestly, I always thought it was a crappy 4th level spell.

Yeah, that's not a creepy image at all...

That's true, I think I'll just go add a line in there.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    You mean the ethereal ghost step? I could just make it invisibility usable as a swift action, so you don't have to keep spending actions on it. still, greater invisibility is a 4th level spell, not available until 7th level. I think it would be a little much to grant it that early.
    That's the upgrade, the 2nd level Ninja ability is effectively Greater Invisibility for 1 round as a swift action, as it doesn't have the attack disabling clause listed with it.

Well, rusting grasp is a fourth-level spell, and it doesn't affect magic items. It very well might be too strong. Though, honestly, I always thought it was a crappy 4th level spell.
    Well, this is also the same time Mountain Hammer becomes available, which isn't limited to just metal things, so I guess it ain't so bad.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

16. - Top - End - #196

That's the upgrade, the 2nd level Ninja ability is effectively Greater Invisibility for 1 round as a swift action, as it doesn't have the attack disabling clause listed with it.

Well, this is also the same time Mountain Hammer becomes available, which isn't limited to just metal things, so I guess it ain't so bad.
    I see. I guess I'll give that a shot, though I'm still uneasy. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

True enough. I shall leave it as-is, then.

I'm working on another batch of dishes for y'all. I'm annoyed at being unable to work on the classes, but I think once the dish list is complete, I'll be able to set the power level for them properly.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Then... how much longer until the dish list is done? Or how many more dishes are you aiming for?

Edit: Just realized it's listed alphabetically...
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2010-12-14 at 07:44 PM.
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    Then... how much longer until the dish list is done? Or how many more dishes are you aiming for?

Edit: Just realized it's listed alphabetically...
    Yeah, there's definitely a lot still to be done.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I would like to note, if it has not already been noted, that the organ within a true dragon that produces elemental energy, mentioned earlier, is called the Draconis Fundamentum and resides near the heart. this was published in the Draconomicon for those of you that have it.
    I am new to the forum and do not know the intricacies of the system.
    ...please don't hurt me...

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Estea View Post
    I would like to note, if it has not already been noted, that the organ within a true dragon that produces elemental energy, mentioned earlier, is called the Draconis Fundamentum and resides near the heart. this was published in the Draconomicon for those of you that have it.
    Well, I could include that in the fluff for the Dragon Lung dish, but yeah, I already knew that.

Just so the rest of you know, this project IS on the list for a revival. However, I want to finish my campaign setting first, at the very minimum. Maybe the trolls, too.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I love that someone posted on this, because I would have never found this, and this is just too freaking awesome to miss. Also, I'll Help you out with the next dish, cause I think I know what to do for most of it.

Fin Soup
    Minimum Ranks: ???
    Cut: Breast/Bacon
    Servings: ???
    Cook DC: ???
    Ingredient Creatures: Dragon Turtle, Kraken, Sea Cat, Manta Ray, Porpoise, Shark, Whale

Fin Soup: The fin itself tasteless but has an amazing ability to bring out and enhance the flavor of other foods cooked with it, and many people enjoy it for the texture is has. Generally this dish is prepared by boiling the fin in a rich, flavorful broth for some time make the cartilaginous fin more tender.

Fin soup allows the eater to swim with the ease of a fish. It gains a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform a special action or avoid a hazard. The creature always can choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered when swimming. Such a creature can use the run action while swimming, provided that it swims in a straight line.

Augment:
    For every 5 points the cook beats the DC by, the granted swim speed increases by 5 feet.
    Last edited by Helinon; 2011-03-03 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    I want to cast Magic Missile at the darkness.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Helinon View Post
    I love that someone posted on this, because I would have never found this, and this is just too freaking awesome to miss. Also, I'll Help you out with the next dish, cause I think I know what to do for most of it.
    I'm glad you're liking what I have so far! I fiddled with the wording a bit and posted up your dish.

Well, since this is apparently popular again, I suppose I could start it back up, but I'd be juggling it with my homebrew setting.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sorry for necroing, but I'm really interested in creating a cook character and I was wondering if you plan on expanding this further, or perhaps you made a few more dishes that you simply forgot to add here?

24. - Top - End - #204

Unfortunately, I haven't done much of anything with the omnomnomicon since the thread died out. I've been quite busy with my Crossroads project. the most work I've done with the system is co-opting it for a bard rework that's not done yet. However, I do intend to give this project a third try sometime, once the Crossroads project's complete.

Edit; I just realized this is the old thread. There is a somewhat-updated version Here.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2014-02-07 at 02:07 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show