New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 4 (4 Times The Mayhem!)

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Not just for you, for everyone. Sorry. (Also, please don't quote images. It eats up bandwith.)
    D'aaawww.
    Sorry, forgot to snip the image. It's fixed now.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sorcerer's get Familiars?

I just like his general... feel, I guess? He seems like a rougish, in the persona not class sense, sort of magic-weilder, and I love the whole "light a cigarette with magic" thing.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post

I just like his general... feel, I guess? He seems like a rougish, in the persona not class sense, sort of magic-weilder, and I love the whole "light a cigarette with magic" thing.
    Poor poor sorcerers, they only class feature (casting not whistanding) is to obtain a familiar
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #694
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post

Yeah, I like that about him too. And yes, sorcerers get familiars.

The reason I'm posting him is that if there's an Aequar game in the future, I'm playing as him.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The design for Demetri is awesome, and making his familiar an albino as well was a nice touch.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

Mouse! :D

And here was me thinking that my guess on the team name was a long shot.
    At dusk, I will think of you...

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

He is AWESOME!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I like that about him too. And yes, sorcerers get familiars.

The reason I'm posting him is that if there's an Aequar game in the future, I'm playing as him.
    Wouldn't you be DM, since you created Aequar?
    -Xavez
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-09-26 at 02:55 PM.
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

9. - Top - End - #699

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Wouldn't you be DM, since you created Aequar?
    -Xavez
    No, I don't know the DnD rules well enough to be a DM. I'll play and make sure that the Aequar rules are followed though.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

Great update, great team name and great character design & concept!
    And I don't remember seeing Lloyd that mad before...
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Poor poor sorcerers, they only class feature (casting not whistanding) is to obtain a familiar
    now i'm wondering why Xylon dosent have one o.0 but thats offtopic.

albino dude looks badarse
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

I seem to remember hearing he killed it or something.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio d Bard View Post
    Great update, great team name and great character design & concept!
    And I don't remember seeing Lloyd that mad before...
    He's probably experienced it firsthand before.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    He's probably experienced it firsthand before.
    I think so...
    It doesn't need the book part, but just burning people would be enough.
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

15. - Top - End - #705

No, I don't know the DnD rules well enough to be a DM. I'll play and make sure that the Aequar rules are followed though.
    Well there's only one way you get better...

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    now i'm wondering why Xylon dosent have one o.0 but thats offtopic.
    I think the leading theory is that he got rid of it for an ACF to make his metamagic better.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Would you want me to DM?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

17. - Top - End - #707

Once I submit my Cornell application AND get to a certain part of the story, I'll post the homebrew.

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Would you want me to DM?
    Hey I already claimed DM, I just can't do anything till I get a homebrew setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Once I submit my Cornell application AND get to a certain part of the story, I'll post the homebrew.
    Can we at least know how far away this part of the story is?

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Can we at least know how far away this part of the story is?
    Uhm, very soon. It starts about 4ish strips from now and ends about 10ish strips from now. So, sometime late next month or early November.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Uhm, very soon. It starts about 4ish strips from now and ends about 10ish strips from now. So, sometime late next month or early November.
    Great!

Can't wait for the details!

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

Coffee --
    All right, as I promised way too many times, I finally found a chance to sit down and organize my thoughts on that story fragment about Alistair and Melata.

First: it's very good. Powerful narrative, memorable characters -- a week after reading this fragment of only a few paragraphs, Alistair remains in my mind as a vivid character who I look forward to hating in future stories. So do the unnamed chain-smoking albino, and doomed, brilliant Melata, even though we met both of them only second-hand.

There are some things I think could make it even more powerful. Because of Alistair's respect for Melata, it could be a surprise to the reader that they were enemies, and an even more jarring surprise to know that he killed her. You might think of leaving these points ambiguous through most of the story, then letting them crash down on the reader near the end. (Of course, if the fragment were part of a larger story, the reader might already know these things in which case my advice wouldn't apply.)

I'm spoilering this next section for length…and I also want to make it clear that I'm not trying to tell you how to write your story. It's going to read as a point-by-point critique, but only because this is the best way I know to lay out the ideas I'm suggesting,not because I think I could have done a better job on the story!

To throw out some ideas, though…what if you kept all your story elements, but arranged them like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Alistair arrives at the grave with his noodles, eats his share of them. Have him a little less snarky toward Melata, a little more respectful: perhaps he 'gazes' at the marble rather than 'smirking', maybe leaves off the "Well" at the start of his sentence. Having him start off respectful and nostalgic will give away less to the reader.

He thinks about how ghosts never respond, then about how he buried her here where she could see his victory (this second element is one you introduced later, but it would go well here.) No indication yet that she won't want to see his victory. He's acting a little cold, not sorrowful or emotional, but let the reader classify him as "friend or lover who is too proud to express his grief" rather than "enemy". The "especially hers" part sounds like it refers to his loneliness, rather than her hatred of him.

Since he's already thinking of his eventual victory, it's easy to make the transition to thinking about the chain-smoking albino, and about the incompetent opposition from Loki. Reader starts to realize Alisair is a villain, and assumes Melata is one too, since we still think they're allies.

Alistair reflects about the only foe who was ever a true threat to him. Don't make it clear that it's Melata; if she has a title, use that instead of her name, and use it sparingly so the reader doesn't catch on that you're hiding something. Even pronouns, so the reader doesn't know his enemy is a woman, might be good -- again if it doesn't make it too obvious that you're writing around something.

Describe the final fight between them, much as you do now. But now you use female pronouns freely, and you mention the noodles on the table; the sharp reader remembers the half-eaten noodles from the beginning of the story. (In fact, in the flashback scene, you might mention "her noodles" rather than just "the noodles"; if the ones in the flashback belong to him, then all the reader picks up is that Alistair likes noodles.)

Then he looks at the tombstone again, reads the words he carved, and you bring the whole thing together; make it clear now that his enemy in the flashback is the one whose grave he is visiting. If you used a title to refer to Melata before, have it carved here next to her name. Return to the idea that she is placed here to witness the new world he's building, but this time make it clear that she will hate this, and he is gloating. You can still emphasize the respect he feels for her rather than the sarcasm; you don't need to go voerboard to make the readers hate Alistair right now, because they will anyway.

Have him leave the noodles for her. This was the most powerful moment in the story already; it might be even more so if the reader has just realized both that Melata is a hero who deserves better than this, and that the noodles were her favorite, not Alistair's. Still, the gesture indicates he might be capable of remorse, and maybe the reader softens their attitude toward Alistair a little.

And then, just when Alistair is coming across as the honorable bad guy, let him show as much snark to Melata as you want: yes, he respects her, but he also hates her and wants to gloat. At which point, if you're trying to make the reader love to hate Alistair, you have almost certainly succeeded.

Anyway, if any of these suggestions are useful to you I'm glad; if they don't work as part of the larger story, then no worries. Thanks for a memorable read, and I can't wait to see these characters again in the sequel. (I predict I'll be following your work as long as you keep publishing it. Hell, I might even that obnoxious old-timer fan who brags at book-signings, "I used to read Coffee's stuff way before she was famous.")
    Last edited by mucat; 2010-09-27 at 02:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

'Kay Coffee. Thanks to your thread in the Friendly Banter section, I looked at this thread and got hooked. I will be lurking here now.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

24. - Top - End - #714

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Coffee --
    All right, as I promised way too many times, I finally found a chance to sit down and organize my thoughts on that story fragment about Alistair and Melata.

First: it's very good. Powerful narrative, memorable characters -- a week after reading this fragment of only a few paragraphs, Alistair remains in my mind as a vivid character who I look forward to hating in future stories. So do the unnamed chain-smoking albino, and doomed, brilliant Melata, even though we met both of them only second-hand.

There are some things I think could make it even more powerful. Because of Alistair's respect for Melata, it could be a surprise to the reader that they were enemies, and an even more jarring surprise to know that he killed her. You might think of leaving these points ambiguous through most of the story, then letting them crash down on the reader near the end. (Of course, if the fragment were part of a larger story, the reader might already know these things in which case my advice wouldn't apply.)

I'm spoilering this next section for length…and I also want to make it clear that I'm not trying to tell you how to write your story. It's going to read as a point-by-point critique, but only because this is the best way I know to lay out the ideas I'm suggesting,not because I think I could have done a better job on the story!

To throw out some ideas, though…what if you kept all your story elements, but arranged them like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Alistair arrives at the grave with his noodles, eats his share of them. Have him a little less snarky toward Melata, a little more respectful: perhaps he 'gazes' at the marble rather than 'smirking', maybe leaves off the "Well" at the start of his sentence. Having him start off respectful and nostalgic will give away less to the reader.

He thinks about how ghosts never respond, then about how he buried her here where she could see his victory (this second element is one you introduced later, but it would go well here.) No indication yet that she won't want to see his victory. He's acting a little cold, not sorrowful or emotional, but let the reader classify him as "friend or lover who is too proud to express his grief" rather than "enemy". The "especially hers" part sounds like it refers to his loneliness, rather than her hatred of him.

Since he's already thinking of his eventual victory, it's easy to make the transition to thinking about the chain-smoking albino, and about the incompetent opposition from Loki. Reader starts to realize Alisair is a villain, and assumes Melata is one too, since we still think they're allies.

Alistair reflects about the only foe who was ever a true threat to him. Don't make it clear that it's Melata; if she has a title, use that instead of her name, and use it sparingly so the reader doesn't catch on that you're hiding something. Even pronouns, so the reader doesn't know his enemy is a woman, might be good -- again if it doesn't make it too obvious that you're writing around something.

Describe the final fight between them, much as you do now. But now you use female pronouns freely, and you mention the noodles on the table; the sharp reader remembers the half-eaten noodles from the beginning of the story. (In fact, in the flashback scene, you might mention "her noodles" rather than just "the noodles"; if the ones in the flashback belong to him, then all the reader picks up is that Alistair likes noodles.)

Then he looks at the tombstone again, reads the words he carved, and you bring the whole thing together; make it clear now that his enemy in the flashback is the one whose grave he is visiting. If you used a title to refer to Melata before, have it carved here next to her name. Return to the idea that she is placed here to witness the new world he's building, but this time make it clear that she will hate this, and he is gloating. You can still emphasize the respect he feels for her rather than the sarcasm; you don't need to go voerboard to make the readers hate Alistair right now, because they will anyway.

Have him leave the noodles for her. This was the most powerful moment in the story already; it might be even more so if the reader has just realized both that Melata is a hero who deserves better than this, and that the noodles were her favorite, not Alistair's. Still, the gesture indicates he might be capable of remorse, and maybe the reader softens their attitude toward Alistair a little.

And then, just when Alistair is coming across as the honorable bad guy, let him show as much snark to Melata as you want: yes, he respects her, but he also hates her and wants to gloat. At which point, if you're trying to make the reader love to hate Alistair, you have almost certainly succeeded.

Anyway, if any of these suggestions are useful to you I'm glad; if they don't work as part of the larger story, then no worries. Thanks for a memorable read, and I can't wait to see these characters again in the sequel. (I predict I'll be following your work as long as you keep publishing it. Hell, I might even that obnoxious old-timer fan who brags at book-signings, "I used to read Coffee's stuff way before she was famous.")
    Wow. Thank you, Mucat. I always love to hear your analyses and critiques. I'm actually going to use this story in my creative writing class, so I'll probably use these pieces of advice, but this describes an actual scene in the comic, and the format there's going to be a bit different.

And I'm going to have to sell shirts out of my dorm room now, won't I. (But I don't know now to trademark and copyright my stuff...)

Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    'Kay Coffee. Thanks to your thread in the Friendly Banter section, I looked at this thread and got hooked. I will be lurking here now.
    Thank you Roc Ness!

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you Roc Ness!
    You're welcome.

*Looks at thread title*

Four times.

EDIT: Hey Coffee, could I ask a question? In one of the earlier comics (just after Matt and Janine go all pervert on the other two) what is that green box thing Radic has Matt put away?
    Last edited by Roc Ness; 2010-09-27 at 08:01 AM.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

Giving out legal advice on here isn't a good idea.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Giving out legal advice on here isn't a good idea.
    Not allowed then? I'll take it out.

And just because without the original post being removed makes this look weird, I wasn't actually suggesting anything, just stating what copyright law says.
    Last edited by Jjeinn-tae; 2010-09-27 at 02:05 PM.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

Fan doodle.

Why so serious, Lloyd?

(Someone kicked a puppy.)
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2010-09-27 at 04:19 PM.
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    Hey Coffee, could I ask a question? In one of the earlier comics (just after Matt and Janine go all pervert on the other two)...
    Now that narrows it down.
    Last edited by mucat; 2010-09-27 at 05:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Now that narrows it down.
    There's actually very few where they both go pervert in one comic. =P
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig