New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 4 (4 Times The Mayhem!)

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Exactly how much of a workaholic are you?

Also, you are not supposed to work on the Sabbath! Bad Coffee!
    Coffee steals the motivation from the rest of us, I'm sure of it!

That or she's a devout geek, makes all of us a little obsessed with our projects (Though Coffee is astounding at it)

Sabbath? Doesn't that mean 'counsel' or something?

That's a holiday?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 4 (4 Times The Mayhem!)

Sabbath is the Jewish day of rest, Keveak.

Sorry, I'll get to typing up commentary on the comics I've not commented on shortly.
    At dusk, I will think of you...

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think it's a rule of Judaism where you're not supposed to work on Saturday or Sunday (it supposedly varies based on how you worship) because it reflects that God rested on the day after He created everything.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

1. Saturday. 2. Get off the religious topics! 2. Allan! I was wondering where you were!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Ok then Off to criticize again! God I feel Like I should kill myself right now, I have no right to insert my own crappy opinions into your work

If a character has a Dark back story that does not change his current sueness. Just honestly I just kinda find loyd (The paladin right?) kinda a perfect boy. Just I hope you reveal some messed up stuff about him, like for example that he is living in denial, he doesn't accept what he reads and is lying through his teeth. All he wants is to slaughter all the Goblins for XP but his messed up psyche prevents him from doing so. If you havent guessed yet I love psychopaths in denial as characters, Vash, Zim, and Ran from Detective Connan (Oh come on she is).

Although I like the lighthearted tone of the comic and there seems to be better stuff abrewin just cut it off with the people gasping at prospects. And by god If I had the focus you had I would soo be the next wonderchild in terms of the arts. I just can never focus and that is what kills me.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Personally, doing a 180 on personality and making Lloyd secretly evil (or maybe like Dexter Morgan) would be kind of hard to pull off. Wouldn't he have fallen at some point?

As long as Lloyd isn't carrying the entire party on his back while people all but worship him, I think he can avoid being a Gary Stu.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2010-09-04 at 04:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

You have every right to criticise; but I believe you're wrong.

Lloyd is not a sue. Sues are, by definition, perfect. Someone who is perfect has no bad backstory. What's more, Lloyd has actual backstory and isn't loved automatically by everyone.

Plus, every comedy needs a straight guy.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #248

Trust me on this one. Lloyd is far from perfect. For one thing, we already know that he has some serious skeletons in his closet.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 4 (4 Times The Mayhem!)

Quote Originally Posted by Allan A. Aokage View Post
    Sabbath is the Jewish day of rest, Keveak.

Sorry, I'll get to typing up commentary on the comics I've not commented on shortly.
    Ah, I didn't know that, I have yet to be taught about any religion but Buddhism. My school was weird

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    1. Saturday. 2. Get off the religious topics! 2. Allan! I was wondering where you were!
    1. Huzzah! 2. OK-Dokay
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Personally, doing a 180 and making Lloyd secretly evil (or maybe like Dexter Morgan) would be kind of hard to pull off. Wouldn't he have fallen at some point?
    Technically, someone who's evil but who continually challenges his nature to do the right thing wouldn't fall. If anything, he has more merit than the guy who was born with perfect morals.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    You have every right to criticise; but I believe you're wrong.

Lloyd is not a sue. Sues are, by definition, perfect. Someone who is perfect has no bad backstory. What's more, Lloyd has actual backstory and isn't loved automatically by everyone.

Plus, every comedy needs a straight guy.
    Your right. Its not as much loyd as much as everybody constantly gasping around him. Just cut back on that and you get yourself some mighty fine comedy.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    Technically, someone who's evil but who continually challenges his nature to do the right thing wouldn't fall. If anything, he has more merit than the guy who was born with perfect morals.
    yea, in fact that sounds like a good character to write about: someone who knows everything he wants to do is wrong and selfish, and has to resist to giving into temptation at every possible moment because he knows that wouldn't be right. In fact I'm stealing that idea thank you very much.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, being perfect is not the criteria for being a Mary Sue. Rather, it has to do with how the author treats the character. If Lloyd never made a mistake and is lauded above everyone else, and whatever he says goes, no questions asked, and the plot revolves around him at all times, then he'd be Marty Stu worthy of being killed with fire. Although it's hard to like a character with no flaws, lack of flaws alone does not a Mary Sue make.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by SpekterofDavid View Post
    Your right. Its not as much loyd as much as everybody constantly gasping around him. Just cut back on that and you get yourself some mighty fine comedy.
    This isn't just comedy. I've got a story to tell here. And what do you mean by "Gasping around him?"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Can a topic really be locked for informing someone of something on a relatively religious note?

Sues are, by definition, perfect.
    Enhhh, not really. The classical "Mary Sue" is indeed flawless, but a problem arises with certain denizens of the Internet hurling it around as a catch-all term for "I don't like this character and this is a massive flaw with it." And besides which, a well-written Mary Sue is a lot better than a poorly-written character of any other breed; you could be as complex as my intelligence is shallow (which is to say, very) and still be a horrible character.

Which is why you can have "super-flawed Sues", "villainous Sues" and so on; the term's become so decayed due to it being used as a mud-hurling technique for a character you don't like that you may as well say that "your character breathes", for almost all characters can be interpreted into Sue-ism.

Lloyd could still, hypothetically speaking, be a Sue; I don't support this viewpoint, but the term is dreadfully bogged down. If this interpretation causes irritation, then part of the problem could be Lloyd's portrayal. Of course, I have little doubt that Lloyd will be shown screwing up a few times, which should remove any Sue scruples from passing commentators.

Anyway, comments on what happened since I stopped replying... that'd be #76, I think.

#76 - A humorous reference and there's some nice development of the Matt/Radic dynamic.

#77 - I'm unfamiliar with the Mark of Justice, so I'm presuming it's a magical charm that gives surveillance of the user/prevents them from committing Evil acts? Since if it's the latter, I can understand the reluctance of the former bandit to accept it.

#78 - Oh, idiotic obedience to the letter of the law, how I have disdain for thee.

#79 - It's nice to see more reinforcement of the paladin population at large distancing themselves from the Kago variant, although it begs the question why they keep the title when it is stained with stigma from Kago.

#80 - I quite dislike the retort of "Not fallen = liked by Astrid." It's clever, yes, but it only means something if the rules are concrete/Astrid is a strict deity. She could frown at it, but think that it isn't enough to lose a follower over; while not quite blasphemy, then at least something of a bee in Astrid's godly bonnet. Of course, one could say that Astrid wants her followers to embrace knowledge, but it's quite clear from Janine's reaction that this isn't common knowledge among her followers, and could still be blasphemy according to the church's law. However, this assumes that Astrid isn't divinely dictating her laws to the church, which is quite possible in a world such as this. I'll stop here before I get into a flaming row with myself over what Astrid may or may not want.

#81 - Quite clearly a lead-in to a subsequent strip. The third panel seems to be quite the oddity, so I shall enjoy reading more on who/what is Quark at a later point.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

This isn't just comedy. I've got a story to tell here. And what do you mean by "Gasping around him?"
    You know, everybody but the misunderstood "Goblins/ Dragons/ Orcs" are always saying stuff like "Gasp, Goblins/ evil Religion/ Dragons are evil! How can you not be evil!" When all the standard evil dnd races are actually simply misunderstood and everybody just goes around stereotypically harassing them, then its annoying. If their very nature is good, how can they be constantly viewed evil (i know the answer to that but its so old and tired)? How about having Orcs wandering the street as normal as dwarves?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    yea, in fact that sounds like a good character to write about: someone who knows everything he wants to do is wrong and selfish, and has to resist to giving into temptation at every possible moment because he knows that wouldn't be right. In fact I'm stealing that idea thank you very much.
    ... Aw man
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

If something has a good nature, people don't always see it as good.

For an example within the work, see elves. They're mostly seen as haughty friends of nature, yet this is untrue; it's simply a stereotype. The "evil races" are much the same; perhaps, in the past, they were entirely evil. Or perhaps they used to be a big menace (e.g. banditry for, ahem, "teh lulz") and society shunned them. Not just the bandits, all of them. And people don't change "just because" - if their grandfather hates orcs, why shouldn't they?

There are real-life examples for this, but I've given to understand that the real world is a no-no on this forum.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Allan A. Aokage View Post
    If something has a good nature, people don't always see it as good.

For an example within the work, see elves. They're mostly seen as haughty friends of nature, yet this is untrue; it's simply a stereotype. The "evil races" are much the same; perhaps, in the past, they were entirely evil. Or perhaps they used to be a big menace (e.g. banditry for, ahem, "teh lulz") and society shunned them. Not just the bandits, all of them. And people don't change "just because" - if their grandfather hates orcs, why shouldn't they?

There are real-life examples for this, but I've given to understand that the real world is a no-no on this forum.
    Yep. And we'll see more of an explanation in the next couple of comics.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Sues are, by definition, perfect. Someone who is perfect has no bad backstory.
    *twitch, twitch*

I... take it you have never read some of the Mary Sue fanfictions I have. The ones where Mary has an OMIGOSHHORRIBLEPAST and was ABUSED AS A CHILD and MUST BE COMFORTED ASAP NAKED KTHNX.

A Mary Sue is someone who the story revolves around, and their flaws are merely excuses to be fawned upon by everyone else; a tragic and horribly dark backstory is the BEST flaw to have because it allows you - er, your completely original character to get sympathy and be beloved by everyone while still having an excuse for acting like a jerk because TRAGIC PAST DON'T JUDGE ME.

...On a related note, I highly doubt that Lloyd is a Sue of any stripe or form.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Wrong kind of bad;
    That's an ANGSTY backstory. Common. XD

Lloyd's is a bad backstory-he did bad things. (Supposedly)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd pay to see Lloyd go TRAGIC PAST DON'T JUDGE ME on someone though.

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *twitch, twitch*

I... take it you have never read some of the Mary Sue fanfictions I have. The ones where Mary has an OMIGOSHHORRIBLEPAST and was ABUSED AS A CHILD and MUST BE COMFORTED ASAP NAKED KTHNX.

A Mary Sue is someone who the story revolves around, and their flaws are merely excuses to be fawned upon by everyone else; a tragic and horribly dark backstory is the BEST flaw to have because it allows you - er, your completely original character to get sympathy and be beloved by everyone while still having an excuse for acting like a jerk because TRAGIC PAST DON'T JUDGE ME.

...On a related note, I highly doubt that Lloyd is a Sue of any stripe or form.
    Ugh, I hate those. And thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    I'd pay to see Lloyd go TRAGIC PAST DON'T JUDGE ME on someone though.
    Please, not even if he were drunk.

Lloyd would probably be a brooding drunk. Matt and Serrin would stand on the bar table and sing a rousing rendition of "The Hedgehog Song" together.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-09-04 at 09:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Janine acts drunk 24/7 all the time, Tinder would destroy everything no matter what kind of drunk he was (dragon >.>) and Radic strikes me as an angry drunk.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-09-04 at 09:22 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lloyd would probably be a brooding drunk. Matt and Serrin would stand on the bar table and sing a rousing rendition of "The Hedgehog Song" together.
    What's the Hedgehog Song?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

What's the Hedgehog Song?
    I also wonder this. We can haz lyrics plx? Kthnxbai!
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Chameon just PMed me some information on it. Let's just say it describes the circumstances under which one could do something...unnatural with a bewildering variety of animals (except for the hedgehog). The lyrics are a little vulgar for this board, but you could find them easily with a Google search.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Well I guess thats my view of it. It may not be yours so I guess this this comic is not for me, sorry. I could proceed to explain my opinion, but its just that, an opinion. It may not be yours and apparently is not intended for the audience.
    Last edited by SpekterofDavid; 2010-09-05 at 05:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Hedgehog Song is from Discworld by Terry Pratchett. Its just a very vulgar song for drunks.
    Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
    This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.
    Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
    Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I also wonder this. We can haz lyrics plx? Kthnxbai!
    Chameon just PMed me some information on it. Let's just say it describes the circumstances under which one could do something...unnatural with a bewildering variety of animals (except for the hedgehog). The lyrics are a little vulgar for this board, but you could find them easily with a Google search.
    Quote Originally Posted by HypoSoc View Post
    The Hedgehog Song is from Discworld by Terry Pratchett. Its just a very vulgar song for drunks.
    Yeah, I'd be in trouble if I posted it in full. As to how these two would know the song and why they would sing it? Well, Serrin can be a lot naughtier than she is (Let's just say that if they had to catch a unicorn, it would have to be Radic), and Matt is Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by SpekterofDavid View Post
    Well I guess thats my view of it. It may not be yours so I guess this this comic is not for me, sorry. I could proceed to explain my opinion, but its just that, an opinion. It may not be yours and apparently is not intended for the audience.
    Hm?
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-09-05 at 07:09 AM.