New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Drolyt20: Spells and Saving Throws

It is my belief that one of the biggest mistakes in 3rd edition was the creation of offensive spells that don't allow saves. For example spells that make ranged touch attacks (Scorching Ray) or require skill checks (Grease) or work given a certain condition (Power Word Spells). Do you agree with me that all such offensive spells should either be removed or reworked to allow saves?

Over the next couple days I'm going to be modifying all the spells here so that spellcasters can no longer ignore defenses. If you would like to help me the best thing is to post your thoughts on whether this is a good idea and to point out SRD spells that have this problem so I can target them quickly and efficiently.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Drolyt20: Spells and Saving Throws

The ray spell that requires a touch attack is a pretty deeply ingrained 3.5tradition, one I'd be shy about breaking. How about converting such spells to require a regular ranged attack, instead of a ranged touch attack? Most monsters have dramatically better AC than touch AC, and it's easier for gear-dependent and buff-dependent NPCs to improve their AC than their touch AC.

Watcha think?
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Drolyt20: Spells and Saving Throws

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    The ray spell that requires a touch attack is a pretty deeply ingrained 3.5tradition, one I'd be shy about breaking. How about converting such spells to require a regular ranged attack, instead of a ranged touch attack? Most monsters have dramatically better AC than touch AC, and it's easier for gear-dependent and buff-dependent NPCs to improve their AC than their touch AC.

Watcha think?
    Unless you rule that for this purpose such spells use caster level as attack bonus and casting stat instead of dex those attacks will never hit. Even then they will rarely hit. I think converting over to Reflex is a better solution, largely because it is simpler. I might waver if others agree with you, but I don't have any intentions of leaving rules as they are for the sake of tradition only. Drolyt20 will be a D&D like game, but it won't be D&D.