New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What does "optimization" mean to you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    The problem is, in any given game system, there are a finite number of optimal solutions to a given problem. D&D is very much one of those games. I see the same solutions being offered to things all the time, especially in the Playground. Tome of Battle being a very common one. But even ignoring that, the same spells and feat combos get reiterated all the time.
    This is true. There's a few reasons for this...but mostly, it's just really, really hard to memorize everything in 3.5. There's just a lot there. I guarantee there are awesome combos nobody has found yet, simply because they require some ridiculously obscure mixing from wildly different sources and use unusual steps along the way.

And of course, there's always the easy answer. I'm frequently guilty of lazily linking to an existing guide or quoting stock answers when people ask for build advice. Give 'em the easy paths to power first.

I don't know how muh of that is simply recieved wisdom, the RPG equivalent to net decking, and how much is just the fact that these things work. Whatever the reason, there really aren't that many builds around that are proven.
    Well, there's a lot of builds...but there's a limit to how many builds can be well known. And to how many builds one person can reasonably play at a time. Personally, if Im involved in over 2 campaigns at once, my schedule gets too stretched. While I can play around with optimization a fair bit in theory, my actual playtime is limited, and when I get it, I like to play one character for lengthy periods of time.

And the fact that they are called builds is proof enough that these concepts aren't characters. They're thought excercises and equations, not something you'd really want to play out over 20 levels.
    A build is only a portion of a character. If the only aspects of your character are those written on your sheet, you're probably not roleplaying much or at all. This is logical, as most builds don't enforce a single character concept. Keeping the optimization related to just the build is a GOOD thing. Imagine if it were strictly mechanically superior to be say, chaotic neutral, and to kill a baby every week. Optimization then WOULD be terrible for roleplaying. Best to preserve seperation.

However, you are correct in that many builds only consider the final goal, not the process of getting there. While it might be fun to have ultimate power after 19 levels of suck, that probably isn't a great build for most situations.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    And the fact that they are called builds is proof enough that these concepts aren't characters. They're thought excercises and equations, not something you'd really want to play out over 20 levels.
    Of course builds aren't characters! That's like saying leaves aren't a tree. A build is just the mechanical aspect of the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Wisely said...but I disagree with your second part. Infinite loops are somewhat different in nature than other forms of optimization, and if there's one thing people can agree is purely TO, not PO, it's infinite loops.
    What, you mean you wouldn't actually play a character that can provoke infinite Attacks of Opportunity per round?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

No, because that would meant taking infinite critical hits.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by esrz22 View Post
    No, because that would meant taking infinite critical hits.
    Only if you find someone who can make infinite attacks of opportunity. Is there a way to do that?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

5. - Top - End - #275

...point. But there surely is!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Wisely said...but I disagree with your second part. Infinite loops are somewhat different in nature than other forms of optimization, and if there's one thing people can agree is purely TO, not PO, it's infinite loops.
    But they're within the rules. The same arguments apply. The reason that people don't play them is a combination of convention ("loops are bad, even if legal") and gentleperson's agreement ("they'd completely break the game, making it pointless").

Those are exactly the same reasons people avoid lesser levels of optimization. The only difference is where the boundaries are set. The limits you placed are arbitrary - perhaps universal, or nearly so, but still arbitrary.

I'm not saying "all optimization = Pun-Pun," just to be clear. Merely that every group *has* these limitations, the only question is where they exist for a particular play group.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Only if you find someone who can make infinite attacks of opportunity. Is there a way to do that?
    Infinite dexterity?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Infinite dexterity?
    As far as I know, even Pun-Pun can only achieve insanely high ability scores, but not truly infinite.

Anyway, I had to double-check and I don't think the method (atavist 10 + Psionic Meditation) I was thinking for generating infinite AoO would work.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279

That'd do it.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    As far as I know, even Pun-Pun can only achieve insanely high ability scores, but not truly infinite.

Anyway, I had to double-check and I don't think the method (atavist 10 + Psionic Meditation) I was thinking for generating infinite AoO would work.
    Technically he can achieve infinite scores, but it would take an infinite amount of castings to do so.

11. - Top - End - #281

Optimization for me is making the best character I can with in the part of the story I'll be filling. So I do as much as I can without sacrificing story elements.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

Technically he can achieve infinite scores, but it would take an infinite amount of castings to do so.
    Can Pun-Pun do that?

I mean, an infinite number of castings require an infinite amount of time. I don't know how long the generic D&D universe is supposed to last, but... well, does the D&D universe have the time? Or is there a way for Pun-Pun to extend the time of the universe.

...I have a bad feeling I just opened the floodgates to a line of thought best left undisturbed. Kind of like "ancient evil trapped in the earth". Probably eats the flesh and only the flesh off still living babies.
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Umael View Post
    Can Pun-Pun do that?

I mean, an infinite number of castings require an infinite amount of time. I don't know how long the generic D&D universe is supposed to last, but... well, does the D&D universe have the time? Or is there a way for Pun-Pun to extend the time of the universe.

...I have a bad feeling I just opened the floodgates to a line of thought best left undisturbed. Kind of like "ancient evil trapped in the earth". Probably eats the flesh and only the flesh off still living babies.
    Pun Pun can ascend in approximately 2 rounds, or maybe it was 3? I don't remember.

Whatever it was, it wasn't even close to 10 rounds.

14. - Top - End - #284

I'm pretty sure somebody made an actual infinite loop for him at one point.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Umael View Post
    Can Pun-Pun do that?

Yeah, you really don't want to know the answer to that. People will start discussing the difference between arbitrarily high stats and actually infinite stats, which leads to discussion on different orders of infinity. It's better for your sanity to never contemplate such things.

Rest assured that Pun Puns stats are whatever Pun Pun wants them to be.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wow, 10 pages about optimization before someone PunPun's the thread. Impressive.

17. - Top - End - #287

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Yeah, you really don't want to know the answer to that. People will start discussing the difference between arbitrarily high stats and actually infinite stats, which leads to discussion on different orders of infinity. It's better for your sanity to never contemplate such things.
    It's true, even after an infinite number of castings you'd still be left with merely a countably infinite stat. You'd need to find a way to pull off Cantor's trick to get an uncountably infinite stat. Even worse, is the time required, to get a singularity in finite time you'd want something of the form xn+1=A x2n, perhaps with clones . . .
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

I am glad Pun-Pun was invented, as it is the ultimate, endgame example of brinkmanship in 3.5. Now that we know it can be done, there is no need to do so. Optimisation is dead, long live optimisation.
    Now we can get back to just playing the game. A given amount of optimisation is required in a given campaign. And that amount varies from campaign to campaign, DM to DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I am glad Pun-Pun was invented, as it is the ultimate, endgame example of brinkmanship in 3.5. Now that we know it can be done, there is no need to do so. Optimisation is dead, long live optimisation.
    Now we can get back to just playing the game. A given amount of optimisation is required in a given campaign. And that amount varies from campaign to campaign, DM to DM.
    w00t! ANOTHER nail hit square on the head!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by a_humble_lich View Post
    It's true, even after an infinite number of castings you'd still be left with merely a countably infinite stat. You'd need to find a way to pull off Cantor's trick to get an uncountably infinite stat. Even worse, is the time required, to get a singularity in finite time you'd want something of the form xn+1=A x2n, perhaps with clones . . .
    The brokenness of Pun Pun is not just his ability scores. He has every ability ever published, and any ability he can come up with that isn't published.

Even without infinite ability scores, Pun Pun may grant himself something silly like:

Pun Pun Wins (Ex): Any action that would be harmful in any way to Pun Pun immediately fails. Pun Pun is unable to be damaged in any capacity, whether it be hit point damage, level loss, ability score damage, etc. Anything that would negatively impact Pun Pun immediately fails. Pun Pun may not be targeted by any attack, be it melee, ranged, spell, spell-like ability, supernatural ability, extraordinary ability, or any other form of attack.

21. - Top - End - #291

dsmiles, did you contribute anything to this thread other than quoting other posts and saying "^ this"?

Speaking of which, ^ this. As liquid says, Pun-Pun's arbitrarily high stats are not themselves his power, but a mere side effect of his actual power, which is nothing more than getting Manipulate Form on a PC. Manipulate Form is the core of Pun-Pun. Everything else comes from there.

Spoiler
    Show

<Flickerdart> So theoretically the master vampire can control three bonused dire weasels, who in turn each control five sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> The sub-weasels can each control two other sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> It's like a pyramid scheme, except the payoff is bleeding to death!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    OTOH, he's the ultimate excuse for munchkins. "Hey, I'm not a munchkin. I mean, it's not like I tried to get away with playing Pun-Pun!"

Kinda like "Kim-Jong Il's not too crazy. I mean, sure, he's a little off his rocker, but he's no Hitler."

23. - Top - End - #293

Pun-Pun is an exercise in putting DM tools into player hands. Manipulate Form is pretty much an abilityified form of DM Fiat. Unfortunately, it's within the rules, and so...

24. - Top - End - #294

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    OTOH, he's the ultimate excuse for munchkins. "Hey, I'm not a munchkin. I mean, it's not like I tried to get away with playing Pun-Pun!"

Kinda like "Kim-Jong Il's not too crazy. I mean, sure, he's a little off his rocker, but he's no Hitler."
    Oh good, now we've PunPunned and Godwin'ed the thread. This is going great places.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Oh good, now we've PunPunned and Godwin'ed the thread. This is going great places.
    We've also had… (spoilered for length):
    Spoiler
    Show
    • ToB
    • reflavouring vs. canned flavour
    • a passing mention of stormwind
    • roleplaying your character's mental scores
    • D&D vs. other systems
    • ramming chtulhu with a boat (always a winner)
    • AD&D nostalgia
    • kobolds
    • PF druid changes
    • guisarme-guisarme-guisarme-glaive-nosepicks
    • edition warz
    • disney movie references
    • personal antimagic fields
    • cheese
    • suel arcanamachs
    • monks
    • George Carlin
    • M:tG
    • PO/TO
    • grievous bodily harm with obscure sourcebooks
    • binders
    • Neverwinter Nights
    • Errol Flynn
    • Bob the Plumber's cousin Jack the Sorcerer
    • Metal Gear Solid

…and many others.

"Going places" doesn't begin to describe this thread.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296

I'm not seeing any Monty Python. Can't be D&D without some Python!

Or is that just D&D sessions?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Bugbear in the Playground

As the contributor of Pun-Pun to the thread, and thus the indirect contributor of Godwin to the thread, I have to say... thanks, Glyphstone. You just made me feel guilty.

...hug?

(Hey, we hadn't taken this thread to group therapy yet.)
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I like pie.

Cake eaters are evil.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

And I would say " No, you're not Pun-Pun, but you're still breaking this world in ways I don't like." The stinkiest Gouda for me is abusing the granularity of the rules, such as Free Action abuse.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-08-28 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #300

I like pie.

Cake eaters are evil.
    That's because they eat lies.

(Chalk up a Portal reference to the list now.)