New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Gotham: Year One

Selina Kyle

Oh sh- is about as far as Selina's train of thought gets before the loud sound of shattering glass spurs her to action, springing off the roof like a bullet from a gun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Selina can make a running long jump 20 feet by taking 10 on an acrobatics check, and will do so if that's sufficient to get to the roof of the warehouse from the roof that she's on. If not, she'll instead jump down off the roof she's on, slow-falling for no damage, and head for the warehouse entrance.

She attempts to end her movement in a shadow or behind an object so that she'll have cover or concealment, but her Stealth result falls to 21 for this round, since she's moving full speed no matter what.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

The Warehouse

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[14]
    (1d20)[5]

Selina lurks in the shadows, as Bolton picks up Chill, only needing to use one of his hands to do so.

"Who are you?" the crime boss gasps out. "You can't...do...this...to me..."

Chill isn't out of shape; far from it, but he requires leverage to effectively struggle against Bolton, and he is sadly lacking in it.

However, Bolton has made one error in his takedown. Namely, stealth. Chill's associate, wearing a less sharp suit, but sporting a Wayne Entreprises name badge, is still present. And he's furiously dialing.

Ra's Al-Ghul

"I know not the medical term for it. It is...something to do with the heart. I know not why she did not fight it, either. She accepted her death. I do not. What is it your poet said? Rage, rage, against the dying of the light."

He looks confused at Katherine's mention of a "them."

"Them? I forget English word...not adults...not children...something."

He takes up Katherine's cell, and is already dialing his number when the old-fashioned, rotary-style phone on his desk begins ringing.

"Salam?"

Katherine hears a few urgent-sounding words. Ra's hangs up.

"I apologize, Detective. But there is a break-in at the warehouse."
    Last edited by industrious; 2010-11-29 at 12:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Selina Kyle

Selina grimaces as the scene in front of her matches her expectations, watching from the safety of the broken skylight. This fool is going to get himself killed - or worse, arrested - unless he gets the hell out of here quick.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"As good as it can sound my dear detective." replies Luigi, somewhat tired of remembering all that data.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lyle Bolton

Too late, the vigilante realizes that he should have subdued the other man on his way down. He only excuse is that he had been worried about killing the man with the extra force that would have been generated by the fall. In any case, he had certainly exchanged stealth for speed. Chill's stuttered declaration brings a smile to his face. The mobster was scared, out of his element, off balance and confused. It was only going to get worse. He doesn't answer the man's question, or make any sort of reply at all. He simply pulls Chill to his side and clutches him there while reaching behind himself and hitting the automated winch. There is a slight, mechanical whirr as the hardy little machine causes the two of them to rise steadily into the air, towards the shattered glass teeth of the gaping skylight. As he ascends with his captured prey, he becomes aware that the other man is speaking into a phone. No matter. Once he reaches the roof, there will be no stopping him.

Chill is as good as caught.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lyle's using the Grapple Gun to return to the roof of the warehouse with Chill in his possession.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2010-11-29 at 09:23 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396

Walker
    Suddenly calm, Walker says, "I'm thirsty. Very thirsty." He had a plan-and, God willing as always, he would come out of it in multiple pieces that would become one living piece.
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

7. - Top - End - #397

RedWizardGuy

"I'm gonna have to ask you a lot more about this 'Them', Mr Al-Ghul." Katherine enuciates the capitialization perfectly. "I'm not gonna let you get away with vauge shi-"

The phone rings and Katherine is cut of, frowning as he comes back to her attention and mentions the warehouse. She motions him to sit back down, sharply, as her mind tries to remember if there was another warehouse somewhere that was connected to this man. "Buddy, this is a possible murder investigation, suspision of it at the very least. You're not going anywhere until the doctor comes and gives me an all clear verdict at least, and that's the most forgiving I can possibly do.".

The cop shifts into the standard obsinate stance of bulldogs and policemen everywhere. "You keep on mentioning this Them. C'om, I've got all day waiting around to hear who they are. There's gotta be a lead here somewhere."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Ra's Al-Ghul

"What them? There is no them. I forget English word for one not like us, but not child either. The one between. Younger than man or woman. Older than boy or girl."

Oh. Teenager. Well, that was embarrassing.

Holding Cells

"Tough. Dinner isn't for another few hours."

He starts walking away again, humming as he does so.

The Warehouse

The winch goes up, and Bolton is back on the roof. Where he can see, not twenty feet away, another lithe figure.

Renee Montoya

"Call me dear, and I break a finger. Only one person gets to call me that."

She motions for Luigi to put his hands out, recuffs him.

"I've got to fill out paperwork for releasing you into my custody at the end of the day. Until then, I'll have to take you back into the holding cells."
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Selina Kyle

Selina freezes as the man carrying Chill unexpectedly appears on the roof again. Today was simply not her lucky day. Well, if her cover was already blown...

Growling, she stands up and addresses the man. "What do you think you're doing?"

10. - Top - End - #400

Lyle Bolton

He sees the figure before it speaks and when the black-clad interloper steps forward Lyle straightens his back and moves the still-conscious slightly behind him, one hand clamped like a vice on the gangster's wrist. When the figure steps out of the shadows, he realizes that it's a woman, about five nine, one-hundred and thirty-something pounds. Although the mask conceals her face, the black catsuit leaves little to the imagination. He quirks his head at her and then brings Chill back to the front. If she works for the mob, she wouldn't try anything if he's front and center. Not if she valued his safety, anyway.

Although it bothers his throat, he answers her with the same deep, gravely voice that he'd used to address Chill.

"Justice," he says.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    None, although if you need me to make more Grapple checks to maintain a hold on Chill, just say so. Truth be told, though, if he acts out and tries to get away, I'll probably just crack him over the head and knock him out.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2010-11-29 at 10:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Selina Kyle

Selina drew no weapon and made no blatantly aggressive move, but she stepped closer, leaned in close until her face was a few short inches from Chill's and delicately traced the mobster's jawline with one clawed finger, leaving a thin bloody scratch. "Joseph Chilton. It's an honor."

Drawing back to a less uncomfortable distance, she turns her attention back to Bolton - presumably, at least, since her eyes were obscured by an ivory white cat mask - and responds in a silkily venomous tone. "If you're planning on killing him, I'm afraid I can't let you do that. Since you blundered into my stakeout, this man is my only shot at picking up any information."
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-11-30 at 03:30 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402

RedWizardGuy

"Oh, thanks, Ra." Katherine mutters to herself as she sets down to wait for the doctor. "The word's 'teenager'. Thanks for getting my hopes up over a bloody nonexistent bloody clue."

"This warehouse-" This is another thought Katherine isn't sure why she#s saying, but she's bored so why not figure? "-it wouldn't happen to be on the south side of Gotham, wouldn't it? There's plenty of criminal stuff that goes down there, and since you're new to town you may not know that."

She heaves a sigh. "Been hearing a lot about your warehouses lately, haven't I?"
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2010-11-30 at 05:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"As you wish detective..."sated simply Luigi, as he was being handcuffed. He calmly walks to the holding cell.

14. - Top - End - #404

Lyle Bolton

So. She had a bone to pick with Chill, too. This was interesting, but irrelevant. Finders keepers, and he'd gotten here first. Chill would stay with him and no feline fatale was going to snatch him away, not when he was going to face true punishment for his many crimes for the first time in his miserable life. Bolton shakes his head and contemplates the woman's mask.

"No," he rasps.

He leaves it uncertain as to which question he's answering - will he kill the mobster, or will he let this cat woman interrogate Chill - for a reason. If Chill fears death, he will be less likely to aggravate the situation by trying to escape. With that in mind, he reaches to his belt with a free hand and claims a set of sturdy handcuffs, which he then moves to put on Chill. He jerks the mobster's hand behind his back and pushes it up towards his shoulder blades. He could easily break the arm.

The threat is clear.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to cuff Chill's hands behind his back. If he struggles, or tries to get away, that would be a problem, but hopefully he's scared enough of Bolton breaking his arm that he won't try anything desperate.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2010-11-30 at 01:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Selina Kyle

Selina manages to be surprisingly expressive, even through the mask - it was obvious, for example, that she was glaring daggers at the man holding Chill right now. She had not come out tonight just to watch someone else trample through a potential crime scene and leave her with nothing.

"Look, dear, I'm in a sour mood, and you're in a precarious position, so I suggest you be a little more cooperative. If you're after revenge or something, you can have him when I'm finished. But I'm not leaving empty-handed."

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Joe Chill

He's figured it out. Or at least, he thinks he has. Some of his customary arrogance and swagger returns, and

"You're some rival family, trying to kick Falcone out of business. Well that ain't going to happen. He's going to wipe you to the ground. Send the Smiler after you. And then, you'll all see. The drug trade's just getting started. You'll..."

There is a small sound, similar to a cough.

Spoiler
    Show

Bolton, roll a Toughness Save. DC 21. Lethal damage.

Ra's Al-Ghul

"No." He looks more than a little concerned.

"It is the one whose sale I am trying to delay."

Luigi

The gangster-turned-informant is led back into the holding cells, opposite Walker once more.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

17. - Top - End - #407

RedWizardGuy

"****." Mutters Katherine. "That one keeps on turning up like a goddamn penny. What's in it? What happened?"
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2010-11-30 at 05:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408

Lyle Bolton

He turns his attention from the woman and her whining about having to leave empty handed - because, really, there was no alternative to that eventuality - to Chill's inane bravado. He is considering the possibility of hurting the man to shut him up when he hears the sound, a soft exhalation of air, like a cough. His eyes widen and he twists, but not fast or far enough to make it out of the way.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember to take my Impervious Protection 2 into account.
    Toughness Save: (1d20+7)[15]

19. - Top - End - #409

Walker
    Walker sighs for a moment-expidiency was the course of action here. He'd survived enough shots and hits to know that He wouldn't let annything kill the Saint. "What about suicide attempts? If I commit a suicide attempt, do I get out of my cell?"
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cells

"Knock yourself out."

The man exits the cell. Gotham cops. They just don't care. At least, not about a homeless man with no connections.

The Warehouse

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+1)[19]

Even though his armor protects him from the worst of it, the force of the bullet still sends shockwaves through Lyle's skin. Cursing, neither Selina nor Bolton can see any hint that anyone is out there. Nothing, save the shot.

"What did I tell you?" Chill is looking far more confident now. Smug.

"The Smiler. He always comes through. Always."

Ra's Al-Ghul

"A meeting with one of Phalcone's associates, to give a good reason why I needed to delay the meeting. Apparently, one of my men was injured in some sort of abduction."

Ra's is dialing the police. The famously corrupt Gotham police. Of course, since Ra's has money, and therefore influence, they'll do whatever he asks.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

21. - Top - End - #411

Lyle Bolton

He grunts. A minor wound. The ballistic armor had kept it from penetrating very far, if at all. He'd have one nasty bruise, though, and he could tell already that the pain of it was going to make him clumsy, more likely to be hit again. He thinks, quickly. He can't stay here and make a stand against an invisible assailant. Even if he were to take out his binoculars and scan the area, that would just give the Smiler enough time to take another shot. He had to move.

With the press of a button, the remaining cord is spooled back into the grapple gun, the metal head hitting its base with a clank, ready to be fired again. He grasps Chill tightly around the waist and pulls the murderous scumbag far closer than he'd like - it's like holding something filthy and diseased, rotten to the core. He extends the arm holding the grapple gun and points it at a building equidistant from the warehouse and the Paddy Wagon. He glances at the cat woman.

"Go," he growls. And then, to Chill: "Struggle and I'll drop you."

The grapple explodes forth with a paft and latches on to the building. Soon after that, the automatic winch propels Bolton and his captured quarry upwards and onwards, towards the former's safety and the latter's impending incarceration.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume that Chill has been handcuffed, since I received no contradiction from you. I'm using the grapple gun's Super Movement: Swinging power to flee to the top of a nearby building. My plan is to then put the black bag on Chill's head and transfer him into the back of the Paddy Wagon for transport to the Slammer.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2010-12-01 at 01:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

The Warehouse

Chill struggles vainly against Bolton's restraints, cursing all the while. There is another cough. The crime lord twitches, then goes silent and limp. And Bolton's armor is now stained.

Selina is able to see that the shots are from the south; there is a cluster of apartments and offices in that general direction. Unfortunately, she can't tell which one the sniper is hiding behind.
    Last edited by industrious; 2010-12-01 at 02:06 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Selina Kyle

The sound of the shot sets off Selina's instincts (and a stream of mental profanity kept from emerging only by the strictest of mental discipline) and she instantly ducks, but it takes her a moment of staring at Bolton to realize exactly what happened. The first shot may have been aimed at Bolton, but she doubted that she'd be much better off in a minute.

Before she had time to react, the armored man was flying away on a grappling hook, carrying Chill with him. Selina can only snarl in frustration as she watches him vanish, but decides to try for a consolation prize.

With a sinuous flick of her wrist, a featureless gray capsule from Selina's belt strikes the ground and bursts into a puddle of goo that almost immediately begins evaporating into a cloud of thick black smoke. It's not acrid enough to impede breathing or sting the eyes, especially when filtered out by her mask, but visibility swiftly drops to almost zero.

Quiet as a ghost, she uses the cover to reach the warehouse's edge and hops off of it, landing in a neat roll. As quickly as possible without drawing attention, she races south toward the likeliest buildings and begins scaling one for a better view of the other rooftops and the surrounding area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Throwing down a smoke pellet, generating concealment, in order to hide before getting off the building. Taking 10 on stealth, -5 for moving full speed, gives a 21 result.

24. - Top - End - #414

RedWizardGuy

"That's what you get for mixing with his kind of scum, Ra." Katherine mutters, trying to figure out how this might fit or not fit into her own plans. Trying to show concern, she asks "Who was it? The abduction? If you tell me about it, there may be something I can do to help. I've been hearing a lot about this place somewhere along the lines."
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2010-12-01 at 05:50 AM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Luigi

The ex-mobster leans over the front bars of his cell again. "So, what's up? Something happened while I was gone?" he asks Walker, while he turns puzzled at what the cop said.

26. - Top - End - #416

Lyle Bolton

Bolton snarls when the mobster goes limp against him and warm blood splatters his body armor. Wasting no time, he reloads the grapple and fires again, swinging down from the rooftop to the parking lot below, landing next to the Paddy Wagon. As soon as black-booted feet touch solid ground, he has Chill laid flat and moves to check first for signs of breath, and then for a pulse, but stops when he sees the gaping wound in the mobster's forehead. It isn't as though Chill doesn't deserve to die from a sniper's bullet - the irony of it coming from the rifle of an ally makes it karmic - but his death has saved him from Earthly justice, which has made the entire thing, the days of planning, the risks, being shot, a complete waste of time.

After he determines the status of his quarry, he leaves the body on the hard ground of the parking lot and uses gloved fingers to close the man's eyes. Following that, he gets into the driver's seat and guns the van's powerful engine. He slams a fist against the reinforced dashboard and swears, angrily. Only after one has failed is their mind filled to the brim with alternate paths which, had they been taken, would have ensured success.

He puts the van into gear and speeds off into the night, heading back towards the Slammer.

He takes a circuitous route to throw off any followers.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm using Swinging again to get down from the roof to the Paddy Wagon, and then checking Chill for signs of life. Since he's about as dead as a person can be, I'm going to leave the corpse in the parking lot. Bolton's going to take a wacky route to get back to the Slammer. Is there a roll for that sort of thing? Driving, maybe, or Stealth?
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2010-12-01 at 02:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Ra's Al-Ghul

The man reaches inside a desk drawer, and pulls out a bottle of very fine whiskey.

"It was Yoseph Chill. Drink?"

Selina Kyle

The next roof she lands on his occupied. A tall, slim figure in a leather jacket, his face hidden behind a plain white mask. Without speaking a word, the man raises his pistol and fires off a pair of shots at the private eye.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Roll:(1d20+6)[14]
    DC 19 Toughness if it hits

Lock-Up

Eventually, Bolton returns to the Paddy Wagon. Someone is leaning on it, his face obscured by the shadows. Almost casually, he lifts the heavy pistol at his side, and fires at the vigilante.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[26]
    DC 17 Toughness if it hits.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

28. - Top - End - #418

Lyle Bolton

The corpse of the murdered mobster thuds to the ground - the gaping head wound leaking vital fluids onto the asphalt - when Bolton spots the shadowy assailant. He reaches for his nightstick as the assassin raises his gun. He manages to tear it free from his belt when the barrel erupts with flame and Bolton feels, for the second time tonight, what it's like to be shot. The range was too close for him to get out of the way, but he manages to take it in his armored chest; provided it didn't pierce the ceramic plating, he could survive.

As expected, his earlier wound causes him significant pain, and the already broken plate could be a dangerous vulnerability.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bullet definitely hits.
    Toughness save: (1d20+6)[11]

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

In her experiences with the criminal element, Selina had been shot at a fair number of times, and had learned a few important things. For one thing, guns were far harder to aim than most people thought. A human-sized target positioned to minimize its silhouette and moving irregularly was difficult to hit even at moderate range. That didn't mean people didn't get lucky, of course.

Another thing was, guns were less useful when someone was right in your face.

As soon as she heard the shots, Selina flung a set of bolos at the man with an angry hiss and pounced at him, determined to bring him down before he could kill her.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Selina's defense is 17, as long as she's not flat-footed. Her Favored Environment: Urban gives her +2 to attack. Using a set of bolos; Attack - (1d20+5)[10]. Reflex save to avoid being entangled, but I have no clue what the DC is supposed to be. And she'll move into melee with him.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Lyle Bolton

Bolton staggers back, as the round pierces straight through his armor. His vision goes blurry, and he can hear his heart beating in his chest. The nightsick clatters to the floor, as the man advances on him, holstering his gun. He then, reaches into his jacket, pulls out a switchblade, and slashes at Bolton's face.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[6], you lose all dodge bonuses, and have a -2 penalty.
    DC 20 Toughness save if it hits
    You are stunned for 1 round, so he gets another round of actions.

He follows it up with another wicked slice, this time aiming at Bolton's torso.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[12]
    DC 20 Toughness Save if it hits.

Selina Kyle

He ducks out of the way of the bolas, and dropping his gun, takes out a straight razor, slashing at Kyle as she advances on him.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[20]
    DC 20 Toughness Save if it hits/

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2