Attack: Claw +13 (2d6+10)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +13 (4d6+10)
    Space/Reach: 15ft./15ft.
    Special Attacks: Armored Body 1d4+7, Tail Sweep
    Special Qualities: Defensive Curl, DR 10/adamantine
    Saves: Fort +11, Reflex +8, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 4
    Skills: ?
    Feats: Track, Improved Natural Attack (claws), Awesome Blow(b)
    Environment: Warm temperate
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 13 – 16 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: -

A large, heavily armored quadruped slowly moves towards you, its scales shifting with each movement, providing a sturdy defense. It is brown in color, with its scales somewhat golden in the sunlight. As you approach it, it uses its long tail to stabilize it as it raises up onto its hind legs.

Dire pangolins are gigantic versions of the somewhat more common pangolin – a type of heavily armored ant-eater. Dire pangolins are even more heavily armored and can often go unimpeded by attempts to attack it.

Dire pangolins hunt mostly for monstrous ants, termites, and also consume bark.

Combat
    Dire pangolins are passive creatures that would rather avoid any conflict if possible. When forced to fight, they strike with strong claws. When injured, a dire pangolin rolls into a curled form and attempts to flee. During combat, a dire pangolin constantly flexes its skin muscles, which causes its armored scales to move – damaging any melee combatants who strike at it.

Armored Body (ex):
    A dire pangolin is covered entirely entirely with a thick and sharp suit of armor; this armor is similar to, but stronger than, the material of human hair or nails. During combat, a pangolin flexes its skin's muscles, causing the armor plates to wiggle. Enemies who strike a dire pangolin in melee range take 1d4 plus the pangolin's strength modifier in slashing damage with each attack they make.

Defensive Curl (ex): A dire pangolin at less than two thirds of its HP will curl up tightly into a ball as a move action, attempting to use its heavy hide as an escape mechanism. While curled, a dire pangolin cannot attack or even see, although it does not gain the penalties associated with blindness; while curled, a pangolin's natural armor class increases by +10 and the pangolin's move speed doubles.

Tail Sweep (Ex): A dire pangolin who is currently flanked does not take the normal -4 attack penalty when using the Awesome Blow feat.

What does everyone think?
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2010-08-26 at 08:43 AM.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dire Pangolin

How about using its tongue as a way to trip? Decreased damage from slashing or piercing weapons, increased from bludgeoning weapons? Some sort of tail thwack against flanking enemies? Could use a little more practical flavor.

Always did like those little guys though, they look like a fantasy creature by default already.
    Last edited by Venardhi; 2010-08-25 at 09:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I think you implied this ability:

No mercy for the cowards(SU): For unknown reasons, any humanoid that tries to run away from the pangolin yelling "ahh" or similar cowardice phrases fails and has to actually run towards the pangolin for the remainder of the action (see picture)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Hee, I've liked pangolins ever since I saw a drawing of them wearing top hats.

Also, would make a fun mount.

Tongue tripping sounds cool. Possibly also grappling. Int 1 probably precludes disarming.

The Awesome Blow feat seems all right for the tail sweep idea. Maybe instead of introducing facing rules for the creature, give the following:

Tail Sweep (Ex): A dire pangolin who is currently flanked does not take the normal -4 attack penalty when using the Awesome Blow feat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    The Awesome Blow feat seems all right for the tail sweep idea. Maybe instead of introducing facing rules for the creature, give the following:

I like this - I'll add that in.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

You gotta love pangolins. Now we need a Pangolin monster PC class.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

For skills, you could just put in the standbys for animals: Listen, Spot, and Survival. Fill in any extra skill points with Climb. You should have fifteen (15) skill ranks to spend, so I'd go something like (not counting bonuses from ability scores) this: Climb 2 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Spot 4 ranks, Survival 5 ranks. Do what you like with that, though. Don't forget that a Climb speed grants a +8 bonus to Climb checks, as well.

With 12 HD, this should have a base attack bonus of +9, not +8.

Average hit points should be 90, not 84 (12 x 4.5 + 36 = 90).

Put low-light vision under its special qualities.

The Armor Class row should read like this: "Armor Class 26 (-2 size, +18 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 26"

If you like, add a colon after Armor Class, as well. Sources differ on that.

Bonus feats should be denoted as such with superscripts, which are made like this: [sup]B[/sup]
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-09-01 at 11:26 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This would go great with my tanning mechanic (flaying beasts and turning them into armor)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Dire pangolins hunt mostly for monstrous ants, termites, and also consume bark.
    I need one for my Druid, He has a problem with giant ants.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet