New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VIII: "You're Gonna have To Face It, You're Addicted To Ma

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    You're already sitting on 3070 points. You want to pay even more than that to get Grenades?
    Guardsmen get frag grenades by default, wich can hurt AV10.

In fact, take a Master of the Forge. Take six Ironclads. Give them all dual Heavy Flamers. Make sure to put all your Troops in Rhinos and sit them at the back of the table all game. Just have your Ironclads run riot.
    Now now, who the hell brings that army to the table by default? You're using schrodinger's list as well!

Ok, you cannot kill perhaps one-two units of the enemy against your average army. They can't contest everything however. Frag grenades can take care of light vehicles, everything else is kinda overrun by bayonets/flaslights.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop VIII: "You're Gonna have To Face It, You're Addicted To Ma

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Guardsmen get frag grenades by default, wich can hurt AV10.
    Barely.

Now now, who the hell brings that army to the table by default? You're using schrodinger's list as well!
    I know of two such people who play with six Dreadnoughts. I'll see if I can remember the one with Ironclads. And then theory it out for you.

Master of the Forge - 230 Points
    Conversion Beamer
    x5 Servitors: x2 Plasma Cannons

x6 Ironclads, with Heavy Flamers in Drop Pods.
    185 x 6 = 925.

x4 Tactical Squads (x6) in Drop Pods
    141 x 4 = 564 Points

x3 Locator Beacons, somewhere. 30 Points.

Total: 1749.

Obviously, this only just over half of 3070 Points. This is the list. Not Schrodinger's List, because it exists. And, as-is, against the army, as-is, it will still win or draw every single game.

They can't contest everything however. Frag grenades can take care of light vehicles, everything else is kinda overrun by bayonets/flaslights.
    Maximum 5 Objectives, 6 Dreadnoughts. I believe I can contest everything.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-09-23 at 05:28 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

The game is objective-based? Get your Ironclads onto the objective. Contest everything.
    Um... How exactly they're going to punch through the IG to reach objectives in the IG's side of the table? Even with 180 cm wide table, IG can easily form four rank deep cordon using recruits alone.

If IGs commander knows what he is doing, he will be the only one contesting everything

You're changing the list again. And if you're doing that with Guard, you're doing it wrong.
    Um, since when giving extra weapon to Sergeant who is in the squad by default (so, there are what, 30 sergeants in the troop squads alone) is changing the list?

Or Deep Strike somewhere in your own Deployment Zone.
    The only option that does not end in loss, and even then, Drop Pods are a net waste of points.

And, even then you have to pray you roll the reserves before your remaining forces are overwhelmed or any available spot is flooded

The list is;
    Creed and Command
    Command
    (x6) Infantry Platoon; x5 Infantry Squads (Combined), x50 Conscripts
    Um, the guy that is needed to give all your units (with the right placement) Stubborn, Czenkow, is an option for an unit that must be taken for this list.

And he is a logical choice when you have that many Conscripts anyway.

...Creed was not originally in the list, but, if you want to dish out x12 FRF!SRF! Orders per turn - like the exercise that we're doing - then he needs to be there.
    Eh, instead of getting Creed & Kell for 12 orders, you can get Czenkow and Al-Rahem and it would be cheaper.

Plus, Creed can give his units Fearless as well.

As everyone knows Schrodinger's List can beat everything.
    Except Schroedinger's (oe in German transcription) List is more of a case of adding extra units, not the logical wargear to units you must take anyway. Even if we kept this to a minimum point cost, replacing Creed & Kell with two mentioned above would still grant points for a few minor upgrades.

By the way, was there something in Third Ed about damaging vehicles on 2x sixes?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

4. - Top - End - #754

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    By the way, was there something in Third Ed about damaging vehicles on 2x sixes?
    Dunno about 3e, but back in Rogue Trader there was a rule that if you possibly couldn't suceed on a roll to wound/hit/penetrate, you could suceed if you rolled two sixs in a row.

Cheesegear:
    Even if there's super iroclad fans out there, they pack them all with double flamers?
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-09-23 at 05:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Um... How exactly they're going to punch through the IG to reach objectives in the IG's side of the table? Even with 180 cm wide table, IG can easily form four rank deep cordon using recruits alone.
    Movement?

Um, since when giving extra weapon to Sergeant who is in the squad by default (so, there are what, 30 sergeants in the troop squads alone) is changing the list?
    I never give my Sergeants extra weapons. Nobody who plays Infantry Guard does. Even so, you're still adding more points.

And he is a logical choice when you have that many Conscripts anyway.
    Logic? In 40K?
    Anyway, he was not part of the original list.

Eh, instead of getting Creed & Kell for 12 orders, you can get Czenkow and Al-Rahem and it would be cheaper.
    Nobody is taking Kell. He's fairly crap.

The excercise is as follows, nothing else;
    600 Lasguns, with FRF!SRF! will beat anything in the game. You need Creed for the exercise. If you don't have Creed, you're doing something that we weren't talking about. If you're not using FRF!SRF! on every single unit as much as possible, you're not doing what we're talking about.

There may be 'better' things (there definitely is, what kind of rube takes Conscripts over Heavy Weapons?). But, that's not the point. The point is, here is a list, that can beat 'everything'.

Hang on, no it can't. Exercise over.

Yeah. I read the thread. You were given an answer.

Cheesegear: Even if there's super iroclad fans out there, they pack them all with double flamers?
    My friends do. Dual Heavy Flamers are the best setup on an Ironclad for not that many points. There's really no reason not to.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-09-23 at 05:44 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #756
    Firbolg in the Playground

Apparently I have to quote myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    No.

The Imperial Guard Armoured Company list had a special rule that said if you rolled a 6 to penetrate but still failed, you could get a glancing hit if you rolled a second 6.

This rule only applied to one varient army list.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Troll in the Playground

I read the thread. You were given an answer.
    I was asking you, specifically, as Oslecamo mentioned 2nd Ed, and CS only had one variant list.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Apparently I have to quote myself now.
    Eh, I did a bit of goggling and such a rule is mentioned elsewhere. There's even a comic about it:

Spoiler
    Show
    I did this little 3 pager featuring Mr. Culexus' Cultist and /tg/ home brew chapter Angry Marine as sort of a fun way to try to figure out the page layouts and art style for the project title is drawn from the old 3rd edition rule where the most powerful tank in the game could be taken out fairly easily just by rolling a large number of dice, this almost always assured a 1 and 6 chance (or 1 in 3 chance, i think 5 counted too) of destroying the vehicle. "great shot kid! that was 1 in 3" just doesn't sound as epic as 1 in a million.
    And the actual links:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs47/f/20...eyvegasICS.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs47/f/20...eyvegasICS.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs48/f/20...eyvegasICS.jpg

So, if I'm wrong, I'm not the only one wrong :P
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

8. - Top - End - #758

Blood Angels Captain - 100 points

5 tactical marines- 90 points

5 tactical marines- 90 points

10 deathcompany - 200 points

Deathcompany dreadnought in lucius pattern drop pod - 175 points
    x2

furioso dreadnoughts in lucius pattern drop pod - 175 points
    x3

995 points. You win/draw any game.

(just make sure that at least 2 of them have blood fists, otherwise a triple ironclas army will surprise you with their chainfists)

Except knowing my luck if I tried that then 5 hammernators would wipe out all my dreadnoughts. So it would be a draw.

Or you opponent could just choose to put his entire army into reserve and then its just a matter of who gets lucky as your armies come in like treacle.

Stupid guard list

Spoiler
    Show

HQ
    Company Command Squad
    Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet
    110 points

Company Command Squad
    Master of Ordnance
    80 points

Troops
    Infantry Platoon
    Command Squad and 2 Infantry squads, vannila
    130 points

50 conscripts (a waste, they'll only run away without a lord commissar)
    200 points

Veteran Squad
    3 melta guns
    100 points

Veteran Squad
    3 melta guns
    100 points

Veteran Squad
    3 melta guns
    100 points

Fast Attack
    Vendetta
    130 points

Vendetta
    130 points

Vendetta
    130 points

Heavy Support
    2 Basilisks
    250 points

2 Basilisks
    250 points

2 Medusa
    bastion breacher shells
    280 points

total: 1990 points

Just wanted to do something stupid that wasn't infantry guard.

So, if I'm wrong, I'm not the only one wrong :P
    Wrong memes are pretty common. Such as the Creed ones that imply he's granting Bane Blade's infiltrate rather than scout.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-09-23 at 06:44 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Eh, I did a bit of goggling and such a rule is mentioned elsewhere. There's even a comic about it:
    No. The comic is not conducive to your argument. The comic is actually talking about the rule where Glancing Hits could destroy vehicles. So, yeah, I guess if you rolled a 6 to Glance, then a 6 for damage, you would destroy a vehicle.

Necrons used to be one of the best armies in the game when 6s on the Glancing Hit table could destroy vehicles.

Also, citing *chan to back up your argument, is also not a good idea.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-09-23 at 06:45 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #760
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

*Pulls out his dusty copy of the 3rd Edition rule book*

Okay children, it's story time. Back when the world was simple, and the rulebook which cost $70 was worth paying for because it had almost complete codecies in the book, including wargear.

We had a far more vicious vehicle destruction system, where glancing, penetrating and Ordanance hits had their own tables to roll on, there was no precedent in the main rules for being able to destroy any vehicles with a weapon that did not cause a glancing or penetrating hit.

However, we pull up another chapter, Chapter Approved that is, which may have, repeay may have, used a rules variant for fighting against mechanised forces, it suggested a house rule for armies who were not prepared, gain the "lucky hit" rule, whereby a roll of a 6 to hit, and a 6 to penetrate caused a glancing hit. I'll try and track it down, I found my copies of Chapter Approved 2003 and 2004, I think it was in the 2002 edition.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

11. - Top - End - #761
    Dwarf in the Playground

Melee? Well, characters with power fists/weapons. Multiple ones in squads with 50+ wounds. Except for SW cheese, no one can bring more than 10-20 wounds in an unit, meaning IG will grind them even with 4:1 loss ratio.
    Well... no not just space wolves. Blood angel dread lists will wipe the floor with this as well (and so you know I play one, so yes people do play this list ) Furioso's and Death company dreads with dual blood talons can effectively never finish killing something, considering for each wound caused they get another attack and against guardsmen its not hard to keep going.. Whilst personal in game experience has shown me that they will eventually stop, against guard this usually doesn't happen until the 20 wound mark.

12. - Top - End - #762

Griffon

*Raises a hand* I have.

....Well, alright, I kind of lie. 1x Venerable, 2x Ironclad and 3x Basic Dreadnoughts have been used a couple of times, though. So sue me, because I didn't have the right models at the time!

Cheesegear:[/B]Even if there's super iroclad fans out there, they pack them all with double flamers?
    As I said above I haven't.... but I sure would, given the chance. I take my army theme very seriously, but even with that in mind I still try to make it competitive, and Flamers are the way forward.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #763

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    However, we pull up another chapter, Chapter Approved that is, which may have, repeay may have, used a rules variant for fighting against mechanised forces, it suggested a house rule for armies who were not prepared, gain the "lucky hit" rule, whereby a roll of a 6 to hit, and a 6 to penetrate caused a glancing hit. I'll try and track it down, I found my copies of Chapter Approved 2003 and 2004, I think it was in the 2002 edition.
    Yeah, that was what I was talking about.

Its definately in "the second book of the astronomicon", the one with SoB (from before the inqusition codexes) and rules for the metal 2nd edition Necron models (from before the plastic necrons and codex came out).

14. - Top - End - #764

This may seem like a stupid question, but I was talking to the guy at the local game store (who's also the TO for any 40k tournaments the store runs) and he said that since Vulkan's special ability doesn't specify combi-meltas, they don't benefit from it.

Now I've checked Vulkan's rule, the armoury entry for combi weapons and the FAQ and I can't find anything that would prove him wrong. Is this a case of moronic RAW or is there something I can show him to change his mind (considering most of the tournaments I'll be playing in will be at that store and with him as the TO, you can see why I might want to get him to change his interpretation).
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    Now I've checked Vulkan's rule, the armoury entry for combi weapons and the FAQ and I can't find anything that would prove him wrong. Is this a case of moronic RAW...
    It's a case of moronic RAW. Its generally accepted that Vulkan and Combi-Meltas do work, but, if he's the TO, then that's how it is and there's nothing you can do about it.

Besides, there aren't too many reasons to give anyone Combi-Meltas anyway. With the singular exception of Sternguard. And, if you do it right, they don't get any benefit from Vulkan anyway.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-09-24 at 08:15 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

It's a case of moronic RAW. Its generally accepted that Vulkan and Combi-Meltas do work, but, if he's the TO, then that's how it is and there's nothing you can do about it.
    Codex: Spees Mareens, page 97: Combi-Weapons are bolters [...] housing another weapon, [...] meltagun. Next paragraph mentions where you can find their profiles and how you fire them (one at a time). There, it's explicitly stated that's two weapons in one, and one happens to have precise name needed for Vulkan's bonus. No gimmicks required.

Incidentally, RAWdiots managed to bar one weapon from receiving Vulkan's bonus, that is, ironically, his own Gauntlet of the Forge, as it's not a heavy flamer, it merely fires like one.

Besides, there aren't too many reasons to give anyone Combi-Meltas anyway. With the singular exception of Sternguard. And, if you do it right, they don't get any benefit from Vulkan anyway.
    Sooo... what you need to do 'right' with S. to make twin-linking not-benefit, eh?

I'm very curious, as with Vulkan/Kantor Sternguard are the best source of units benefiting from TL weapons

Also, citing *chan to back up your argument, is also not a good idea.
    I don't see any mention of *chan in there, merely a note he borrowed one character to make a point with an actual rule.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Colossus in the Playground

Wasn't there an FAQ that said some weapons not on the list are still close enough to count for Vulkan's ability?

Like Incinerators, from Grey Knights.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Aieeeee!!!!!

Necron Tomb Stalker, from teh Frog Wurld.

Also, Grot Mega Tank.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Aieeeee!!!!!

Also, Grot Mega Tank.
    Sweet. Too bad I don't play Necrons (yet).
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-09-24 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #770
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Wasn't there an FAQ that said some weapons not on the list are still close enough to count for Vulkan's ability?

Like Incinerators, from Grey Knights.
    You're thinking of the rule for the Avatar, which the FAQ says also includes Incinerators and Inferno Pistols. There's nothing that extends Vulkan's Chapter Tactics beyond what's listed in his entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Aieeeee!!!!!

It's not nearly as bad as the Caestus Assault Ram, but that seems like a steal for it's points. To see a model that sexy on the board though, I'd put up with it.

Edit: Eh, on second thought it is closer to a Trygon in ability than I first thought.
    Last edited by Tren; 2010-09-24 at 10:10 AM.

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    Edit: Eh, on second thought it is closer to a Trygon in ability than I first thought.
    Trygons aren't t7. That can be a big differance.

They're also not immune to freakin' poisoned weapons, making them a monstrous creature that's specifically invulnerable to things supposed to counter it.

It also gets double the charging bonus and hit and run.

Will still go down to krak missiles and lascannons though.

I had a battle against a friend of mine who used to collect Blood Angels in 2nd/early 3rd edition but mostly just bought whatever was cool and didnt actually own a rulebook. Finding that his random collection of models was actually somehow a legal 2000 point army, I decided to use my terrible tyranid army against him.

His army:

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ
    Dante
    Command squad with plasma gun, power axe and chapter banner

Elites
    Brother Corbulo

6 Terminators with heavy flamer

Chaplain

Troops
    9 deathcompany with a plasma pistol, chainwords and bolt guns
    Landraider with hunter killer and storm bolter

5 scouts with bolt pistols,

Fast Attack
    Baal Predator with assault cannon and heavy flamer sponsons

Baal Predator with Flamestorm cannon (actually a helhound he wouldn't be able to use otherwise)

Heavy Support
    Dreadnought with heavy flamer and assault cannon

Spoiler
    Show
    We roll pitched battle annihilation, which makes it kind of easy for him and also means that he actually might be able to win.

He wins for who goes first and lets me go first so I can remind him how to play a turn.

I put my raveners on one side and the rest of my army; Old One Eye, a Hive Tyrant, a zoanthrope and 2 units of warriors behind a unit of termagaunts on the other side. 1 unit of genestealers outflank and the other two infiltrate.

He puts his flamestorm baal and his dread on one side opposite my raveners, his termanators and corbulo in the center and his other baal, command squad and land raider (with chaplain and death company) up against the bulk of my force.

Then he manages to win for infiltrators and puts his scouts in the middle on top of a building, meaning the genestealers I sent to support the raveners had to infiltrate inside my deployment zone. The other unit deployed just in front of the termagaunts.

Turn 1

I'm tyranids, I can't do much more than charge forwards. I fire a few heavy weapons, but only manage to kill a scout with a warrior's venom cannon. Feel no pain ensures that my warrior's barbed strangler and tyrant's venom cannon bounce off.

Dante sees the massive horde of genestealers in front of him and lets the deathcompany out of the dark adamantine box he was hiding them in. Together they charge forwards and wipe out the genestealers with the help of supporting fire from a baal predator.

The land raider, which didn't have to move, fires all its guns at the zoanthrope and vapourises it.

The termanators and dreadnought head forwards and shoot at the raveners, who suffer but a single wound due to cover. A baal speeds towards the genestealers supporting the raveners but doesn't get enough range to kill more than 1.

Turn 2
    I roll a success for my reserves and a unit of genestealers outflank straight into his deathcompany. A unit of tyranid warriors armed with bonesword and lashwhip join the fray and together the deathcompany are butchered, leaving the chaplain by himself.

The termagaunts charge at Dante and manage to tie him up despite only two models surviving. (I forgot that Dante has hit and run so couldn't tell my opponent this)

However I forget to charge my genestealers into that baal or use my raverners, leaving them vulnerable.

There's not much Dante can do with two termagaunts tying him up and there's nothing the chaplain can do with three warriors and 16 genestealers mobbing him. There's also not much a baal predator can do when everyone nearby is in combat, so it fires its assault cannon into old one eye and deals a single wound. However its cousin baal is able to roast 7 genestealers and the dreadnought manages to kill another 3 with its flamer and assault cannon.

The land raider remembers that its role is to kill big things, not wimpy things with giant brains, and nukes old one eye with its lascannons and hunter killer.

Corbulo leads his termanator brethren against the raveners and while he fluffs his attacks, a light poke from a power first turns out to be all it takes to kill a ravener. In the rest of the combat phase Dante finishes off the gaunts and consolidates backwards while the chaplain manages to survive on one wound, despite not killing a single enemy. The dreadnought finds itself just in range of the genestealers and charges in, only to miss with all its attacks and get torn apart by the broodlord, killing two genestealers in the explosion.

Turn 3.
    My Hive tyrant isn't in range of the land raider and my warriors and genestealers are all locked in combat with a chaplain, so I send him after the baal predator, knowing he can almost certainly take it down. This however leaves Dante unoccupied.

My few surviving genestealers on the other side of the board charge the other baal as they should have last turn and bring it down.

My rending claw and devourer warriors, who were previously taking pot shots at scouts find that they have termantors on their doorstep. Knowing they need serious luck to win, they charge anyway and are butchered taking a single terminator with them.

Finally I manage to kill that chaplain, but its possibly too late as my hardest hitting units have spent a turn tied up.

Dante finds himself faced with the unpleasant option of charging his command squad into 16 genestealers or 3 lash whip and bonesword warriors. Undaunted, he flies over the genestealers and fires his inferno pistol (missing before Corbulo's reroll retcons reality), killing one.

Corbulo and the termanators find themselves with nothing to kill, so they head towards Dante and his command squad.

The land raider fires its lascannons, but only manages to wound the hive tyrant once, its hunter killer already spent.

Dante charges, the lash whips tying his warriors up and allowing the tyranids to cut down everyone but him and his standard bearer. Thankfully for him he is able to deal the 4 wounds necessary to kill the remaining two warriors (the chaplain did deal 2 wounds to them already at one point or another). Rolling a 4 to consolidate, Dante and his comrade manage to climb up a nearby ladder and plant their banner on the high groundl.

Turn 4
    I find myself with nothing but a Hive tyrant and two units of genestealers left, while he has a land raider, corbulo, dante and a full unit of termanators (plus 2 scouts, but they're hiding). I figure that as long as I can kill Dante and the land raider this turn I'll be safe before his termanotors catch up to my main force.

The Hive Tyrant charges forwards with his bone sword and manages to penetrate the land raider three times, rolling a 5 on the damage table with all of them. The small unit of 3 genestealer straglers with their brood lord charge the termanators and are able to kill one before dying.

16 Genestealers charge at Dante, but due to the difficult terrain only 4 get on to the high ground and only 6 are able to attack. Dante and the honour guard manage to kill 4 before Dante suffers a wound and the brave standard bearer is dragged down to his death. I then roll an 11 for my break test, and Dante, with his even initiative, manages to roll a 6 to catch me while I roll a 1, butchering my entire squad as they try to climb up to eat him.

Dante now found himself alone, with a hive tyrant between him and his nearest allies. Nether the less, his jump pack was enough to join his brother corbulo and the first company veterans.

Turn 5.

All I now had was my Hive tyrant. I had a decent chance of killing all his termantors in one turn and a decent chance of killing a pair of S4 to 5 special characters, but I couldn't do both.

I also turned out to be out of assault range, so all I could to was move into his charge range, hit him with paroxysm and watch my venom cannon bounce off ceramite.

The blood angels charged, right into my lash whip. The Hive tyrant swung its bonesword around itself and cut three terminators down. But the remaining termantor swung its fist into the tyrant's chitinous bulk and caused 2 wounds.

Turn 6.
    It would only take 1 wound to kill my Hive Tyrant, but if I could only kill that termanator I had a decent change of surviving against a S4 power weapon and a S5 rending weapon. Either way a 6 would kill me. I decided to throw an attack against each of my three assailants and mananged to cut down the termanator a wound dante. Dante's will was enough to force his old body to withstand the bonesword's deadly power, and he passed his leadership check to not die.

In the end, Dante rolled his impressive number of attacks against my Hive Tyrant and rolled the single necessary 6 required. At last, the tyrant fell down dead and Dante and Corbulo found themselves the sole surviving people on the battlefield save for the 2 scouts who had failed to do anything the whole game, never getting down from the top floor of their building.

So yeah, my tyranid army truly sucks.

Though we did then find out that I should have had a trygon and he should have had lemartes, so it was more of a 1750 point game.

If we get to play a game again he'll probably borrow my Blood Angels troop choices do he can have a proper army.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2010-09-24 at 04:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There, it's explicitly stated that's two weapons in one, and one happens to have precise name needed for Vulkan's bonus. No gimmicks required.
    No. No it isn't. RAW, you're firing the Combi-Weapon every time. You're explicitly firing 'the Bolter, or the secondary weapon.' At no point, in the rules section of the weapon, does it say "This fires as/like a Meltagun."

Even in the example, it says that 'a Combi-Plasma can, of course, Rapid Fire." So, apparently, when you fire 'the secondary weapon' on a Combi-Melta, you're not firing a Meltagun, you're firing 'the secondary weapon on a Combi-Melta'.

I can see why RAW, a TO would disallow it. But it would make him very, very unpopular. Not that it matters because Combi-Meltas are kind of crap with one, singular exception, which don't need Twin-Linking anyway.

You take Vulkan for fixing Multi-Meltas and Flamers, and for stacking Heavy Flamers. Thunder Hammers, Meltaguns (and Combi-Meltas) are not what Vulkan is for.

Incidentally, RAWdiots managed to bar one weapon from receiving Vulkan's bonus, that is, ironically, his own Gauntlet of the Forge, as it's not a heavy flamer, it merely fires like one.
    Actually, if you swap your rulings for these two, you're correct. Because the rules explicitly say "It fires as a Heavy Flamer." it would therefore, fire as if it were a Heavy Flamer and be subject to Vulkan's ruling.

Sooo... what you need to do 'right' with S. to make twin-linking not-benefit, eh?
    Volume.

I'm very curious, as with Vulkan/Kantor Sternguard are the best source of units benefiting from TL weapons
    If you can't kill something with 8 Combi-Meltas (or more), making them Twin-Linked isn't going to help. Like Vulkan with Hammernators. It's one of the greatest sources of overkill (inefficiency, waste of points, etc.) in the entire game. Vulkanators are better off with Lightning Claws, with one or two Hammers thrown in 'just because'.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-09-25 at 02:38 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Some real Dark Eldar news and its all drool worthy
    Spoiler
    Show

love the wraithbone sword and the slaneeshy look to him.

was hoping this was a picture of a wych but even more interestingly the pic is named Lelith so my favorite girl is back and looking better than ever

now I love this model because it holds to the same lines body wise as the old models but looks so very nice without a goofy head and the rifle is fantastic

thought this was a mandrake at first but it is the new wych model it seems I shall have to reserve my judgment on the wyches until I can see a whole unit.

The big guys themeselves look great but I don't like that new weapon but for the rest of the model I can suck it up

I love this reaver and how it looks more in line with a corrupted version of the eldar jetbike as opposed to a whole new creation

my least favorite model spoiled thus far and thats becuase the sail in the middle is just so weird and out of place. I really want to get my hands on the kit to see if I want to convert to the new raiders or just scavenge some parts to modify my current ones
    ---------------------

Overall my pocket is seeming lighter as I know GW has struck a direct line to my wallet yet again
    Check out my horrible homebrews

24. - Top - End - #774
    Dwarf in the Playground

Speaking of Dark Eldar, I have a match against a Dark Eldar player in a couple of days. I've never really fought Dark Eldar. Again, I'll be using Vanilla marines, and it will be a 500 point battle. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Awesome avatar and siggy by Kwarkpudding

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

At the same time, i have a couple of questions regarding fighting hordes of orcs, what targets should i make it my priority to kill first?

Regarding Tyranids, as i understand there i should focus down the synapse creatures first?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Wytch unit. Box of ten, six female:

Reavers:

New Raider:

Harlequins are in the codex too. Advance Orders start on the 5th of October.

We've also got upcoming from Forge World:

Phantom Titan

Land Raider Achilles - multi-melta sponsons and rotary cannon thunderfire cannon (!) in the hull

New Aspect Warriors

Some seriously cool eldar tanks that aren't based on the Falcon hull!

By Fraggle on Warsser:
    Hi all. I know it's not de related but whilst I'm waiting for the fw seminar thought I post what I chatted to will Hayes and Warwick about IA11. In addition to the vehicles seen there will be new aspect warriors but this will be addressed in the seminar. Warwick did say that they are looking at doing cadian upgrade kits for winter fighting ( boots, gloves, face protection and googles) and also tank upgrade kits (air intakes, snow ploughs etc) These will be to go with the plastic cadian kits but he did say that vahallens may be looked at in the future in the same way as elysians. One last think is that the space wolves will be a whole great company. He wouldn't say which one but did confirm the lord was going to be modelled and ruled out a couple. It was hinted that it may be a mounted model..... The deathwolf perhaps
    By Philbrad2
    OK just left the FW seminar

IA11 definitely SW/Cadians/Elysians vs Eldar.

New aspect for the Eldar - Shadow spectres, think jumpacks with mini prism cannons which can combine beams for added firepower. Models are stunning.

Nothing on the Wolves it wil be a ice planet set and there will be cold weather IG stuff.

More to follow.

Lots and lots of pics here. More here as well.

edit: FW Ironclads:

Last edited by Zorg; 2010-09-26 at 10:04 AM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

27. - Top - End - #777

Wow, those dark eldar look great. Now I don't know what my next project will have to be...

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

You have made my day Zorg thanks for the great photos I would kill for a glance at that codex. Also HArlequins in the codex make me happy for fluff reasons

I much prefer the rest of those wyches to the one I posted
    Check out my horrible homebrews

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Harlequins are in the codex too. Advance Orders start on the 5th of October.
    Aaaaargg! are those degenerate bastards getting harlequins as well?

Oh well, i am a bit confused about the propper use for them anyway, Banshee's seems to be better at killing marines, and scorpions seems to be better against orcs.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

30. - Top - End - #780

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh well, i am a bit confused about the propper use for them anyway, Banshee's seems to be better at killing marines, and scorpions seems to be better against orcs.
    That's what I've been saying for months. They don't have as many Power Weapons as Banshees, they have less attacks than Scorpions, they're slower than Shining Spears and their Invulnerable Save isn't as good as a Seer Council.
    The only reason that you would take Harlequins over any of those other options, is if you were dedicated unto death to your thematic Harlequin army. I couldn't care less is Eldar can or can't have them any more.

As for the Dark Eldar models: very nice, but that paint scheme in the first set is awful. I've never believed that all evil models have to be painted BLACKBLACKANDMOREBLACK, but those wishy-washy pastel highlights certainly don't strike fear into my heart like they should

Also, loving the sound of a new Aspect style. How they differ thematically from Warp Spiders except just being 'better' (all Aspect Warriors embody one 'side' of the War God's armoury, remember) I'm not too sure, but I expect I'll be having lots of them none the less.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation