New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Energized Soul [3.5 Feat]

Elemental Soul
    Prerequisites: Mind Blade or Mind Arrow ability.
    Benefit: By using a Standard action to focus, you may change your Mind Blade or Mind Arrow to deal Fire, Cold, Electricity, Sonic or Acid damage. To change the damage to a different element or back to it's normal damage type requires a second standard action.
    Normal: Mind Blades and Mind Arrows deal weapon damage.

Polarised Soul
    Prerequisites: Elemental Soul.
    Benefit: When using the Elemental Soul feat, you may choose to deal negative or positive energy damage. (Damage dealt in this way always deals damage, regardless of whether the target is normally healed by negative or positive energy. Negative energy weaponised like this causes pure destruction, while positive energy causes an overload of life energy.)
    Normal: The Elemental Soul feat only allows you to deal elemental damage.

I don't know how good these are. I hear the Soulknife is Bad, but the Soulbow is better, so I'm not sure just whether this is overstrong.
    Also, I thought they were force effects. Good thing I checked.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-08-27 at 11:24 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Energized Soul [3.5 Feat]

"Never heals" is a sticking point. The ability to permanently deplete hit point totals is too strong for a two-feat chain available at level 1.

Alternatives might include:
    • Damage can only be recovered through magical healing. (weak)
    • Damage can only be recovered through magical healing, and even magical healing requires a caster level check. (stronger)
    • Damage can only be recovered through mundane healing. (strongest)
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    "Never heals" is a sticking point. The ability to permanently deplete hit point totals is too strong for a two-feat chain available at level 1.

• Damage can only be recovered through magical healing, and even magical healing requires a caster level check. (stronger)
    I think she means that damage dealt with it cannot restore HP to anything, regardless of its state of life or unlife.

Am I right?
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post

I am pretty sure the intent is "It doesn't heal living guys if you hit them with positive energy damage and doesn't heal undead if you hit with negative (though they may be immune)", not "This damage is permanent and irreversible."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yeahyeah, that's what I meant. I'll word it more obviously.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Yeahyeah, that's what I meant. I'll word it more obviously.
    Question: What about immunity to negative energy? It is possible to get this immunity; does this bypass that, or not? I would assume not.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It does not, and nor would the positive variety bypass positive energy immunity.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

It's cool then. Honestly, this a really mild benefit for a 2-feat investment. I'd suggest you roll them both into a single feat and have the positive/negative benefit "unlock" when the character acquires a slightly higher-level class feature or a set amount of base attack bonus.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Something like, elemental as normal, positive/negative at +6, maybe force at +11?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd roll them into one, then perhaps add a feat that makes your arrow ignore x amount of energy resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, is the soul___ THAT bad? XD

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's bad enough that the Soulbow considered significantly better than the Soulknife, usually requires one of either the "Bow Trick" or the "Multi-armed trick," to be good at what it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think rolling it into one feat is the way to go. There are enough Soul-knife fixes on this board... this works well in combination with most of them I would think, and that is good enough for me.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.