New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy spends a good deal of the inital parts of the trek growiling a tirade about picking fights in the Underdark (directed mostly at Thokk, Darius, and Aeroz), but eventually settles down into quiet brooding. He offers what he know in directing the party, but when the time comes to flip a coin, he does so fervently, and always with a muttered thanks to the 'Helping Hand', but makes a point of not explaining further.

---

When news comes of the lights and voices, he speaks up quickly, "If we can get close enough, I can prolly tell ya if it's undercommon or not." He flexes an arm, though, the metallic raspings of his armor serving a reminder that getting close isn't as easy as it sounds, "If."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Once the high-strung rogue has recovered from the shock of being surrounded by 'giant bugs', she apologizes to Lumpy for using him as a jumping-off point. "I'm just so used to climbing when I'm being cha... er, in danger. I guess my instincts took over. Anyway, I'm really sorry about that." Lissa explains that she 'had an unfortunate experience' with giant insects in the past, and the formians resembled insects quite a bit.

The gnome almost fades into the darkness around the party, in her dark gray armor and cloak. Lissa doesn't seem bothered by the tight quarters- probably because five feet is a perfectly fine height for a ceiling when you're only a bit over three feet tall yourself. She holds her loaded crossbow in both hands, edging along the right-hand wall. Only the faintest whisper of leather and cloth on rock, the soft sound of breathing, tell where she is.

(OOC: Lissa's being stealthy, so roll for Hide and Move Silently.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, whatever we shall find, Ill be sure to KILL"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lissa and Aeroz squeeze past the other members of the party and silently advance to the end of the tunnel, which opens onto a terrace overlooking a large multi-tiered chamber.

The chamber appears to be a shallow sinkhole perhaps 200 feet across, with concentric terraces ringing a central sunken area that is roughly 30 feet in diameter. About a dozen openings are scattered all around the walls at various levels. Each terrace is roughly 5 ft high and 20 ft wide. It would be easy to jump up or down from terrace to terrace. The vertical distance from the highest terrace to the lowest is only probably about 20 feet.

Crawling out onto the ledge, Lissa and Aeroz peek over the edge, down onto a sinister scene. A flat stone in the middle of the central area serves as a crude altar of sorts. Everburning braziers at the four corners of the altar cast a gory reddish glow over the central area, leaving deep shadows over the periphery of the chamber.

Eight drow warriors, dressed in black leather, form a ring around the altar, facing outward, with crossbows aimed upward. They scan the periphery of the chamber with military precision while two other drow chain a half-naked humanoid to the stone by his ankles and wrists. Lissa and Aeroz keep their heads down and are not spotted by the drow.

When the drow are finished, they leave the chamber silently, backing out cautiously with their crossbows covering the other entrances as they exit.

Once the drow have left, Lissa and Aeroz retrieve the others. Soon the entire party is lying face down on the ledge, peering down onto the humanoid chained to the slab of stone ...

There is an old folk belief that every person on the surface has a counterpart in the Underdark. Perhaps there is more to the old wives' tale than you thought because, even though the humanoid lying stretched out on the stone has the silver hair and ebony skin of a drow, he otherwise looks an awful lot like Miles (your guide from Ingdal's Arm to Velprintalar). Even from across the room, the resemblance is striking ...

The chained drow bleeds from a number of small cuts and burns. Apparently he has been tortured. His eyes are closed and his lips move as if praying ...

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Pulling out longbow, noching an arrow, and letting it fly aimed at the Drows Forehead, Coup de Grace if possible*

"Death to all Drow"

*Turning to the others*

"He was drow, enough of a reason for me to kill him, lads. By the looks of it, he is better off me killing him then whatever they are going to do to him"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa whirls around and glares at Thokk as the arrow goes whizzing by. "You stone-headed fool!", she hisses in an irate whisper. "Think! If we rescued him, he just might be grateful enough to guide us! Baravar knows we could use a native guide! Sure, he's a member of an evil race, but that's what we've got Sedryn for." The gnome points a gray-gloved finger at the cleric. "For all we know, the fellow down there is getting tortured for not being evil. At the very least, we should have our resident cleric make sure... if the drow lives." Lissa shakes her head and turns away. "Dwarves. Gods, give me strength."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Have some foresight will you Lissa? All drow are treacherous feinds. He's better off if we kill him. Besides, we need to get to those assasins, get the Kris back, give it to Baran and be on our happy way. I dont like having a wanted sign with my face on it. Wottworte's dead, and I'm not going to risk anyone else."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

8. - Top - End - #158

When Thokk nocks his arrow, Sedryn slams a gauntleted hand into Thokk's arm, spoiling his aim. The arrow soars off toward the far side of the cavern, clattering away into the darkness.

"What in the Hells (Lathander forgive my language!) do you think you're doing, dwarf?" he hisses angrily.

"You would murder a helpless, unarmed man in distress simply based on the color of his skin and hair and call yourself a 'hero'?

"I have known dwarves in my day and generally found them to be as stout of heart as they were brave in combat. You on the other hand are nothing but a bloodthirsty coward. You are a disgrace to your clan and I am ashamed to walk with you!"

Sedryn spits on the ground.

9. - Top - End - #159

Fizahn, gnome:

"It doesn't matter if he's a drow! A guide's a guide and we could use one to speed up your recovery of the kris you talk about and our confrontation with Sethra! Even if he is evil, we saved his life, and with enough of a guard on him and an advance scout we could avoid any traps he tried to lead us into! Lissa has a point with Sedryn being able to tell if he's evil! And thank you Sedryn for spoiling Thokk's already lousy aim! But now that we're known, we have to act quickly!"
    Fizahn jumps down from his vantage point, and starts scrambling to where the drow captive is.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:12 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

10. - Top - End - #160

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Sedryn. They chose to worship a demon because they wanted power. They built portals to the abyss to go to their goddess. They are evil Sedryn, and they are deceitful. You cant trust them" Seeing Fizhan's determination, Aeroz sighs, draws his rapier and follows the gnome.

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc snorts derisively at Aeroz, "Foresight? Yer slowly starving ta death in inhospitable ground NOW, and all ya can think about is MAYBE not dying on some executioner's block down the road? And SHE ain't showing foresight? Compared ta who? You? That's moronic."

Lumpy begins working his way down the terraces, towards the drow, though his heavy armor and flat-footedness keep him behind the others

12. - Top - End - #162

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Show some appreciation buddy. We coild have left you with those grimlocks. Now, if you are gonna be part of this little troupe, I suggest you keep your attitude in check."

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163

Elthan II

*Elthan shrugs his shoulders and heads down with the other two to help the captive.*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

14. - Top - End - #164

Lizadrkin Druid

The lizardkin walked unhurriedly from the ant-giants as he realised they were not pursuing. Deciding he'd never see ants in the same way again. He watched them for a while more before following the fast-moving party, wondering if he'd encounter them again.

On the long trek that followed, he followed at the end serving as rearguard, his darkvision allowing him to not be dependant on the corrupt enchantments that lit the way for the pinkskins. He continuously watched out for any foes and signs of pursuit from behind. On occasion the pinkskin magic-user who offered to aid him in pinkspeech dropped back to talk to him. He learned that he was an incredible distance away from the hunting grounds and only the knowledge that Sethra was close kept him focussed and willing to remain in this deep subterranean realm.

When the other spotted a light ahead and went off to scout ahead. He squatted and re-arranged his backpack. Wrapping and storing the strange plant-bits in bits of cloth, examining them. (OOC: DR, lemme know if i should just toss it or if i can figure out what their uses are. thanks)

He was interrupted by the return of the scouts and the party crept to a ledge and peered over at a figure tied to a rock below.

He hisses softly in disgust as they began to argue in typical pinkskin custom. Peering over to study the creature further..
    So that is the creture they call 'dr-ow'..

In shape and size it looks just like a pinkskin but it's hide and hair are different in color..
    A black variety of pinkskin.. a blackskin..

As the others discuss to kill it or save it, the growling of his stomach serves to remind him of his hunger.
    ...mmm... How does blackskin taste like?
    Turning back to look at the others, he shakes his head deciding that the other pinkskins simply would be frightened.
    As the others trudge off to the blackskin, he shakes his head and rises from his squat.

One more pinkskin to mind...
    This promises to be a long..long hunt
    It falls to me then to discover what the pinkskin was tied up and left for
    He remains at the terrace and begins to study the cavern carefully, drawing a barbed dart and holding it ready.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa smiles up at Sedryn. "Thank you, Sedryn." Aeroz receives an exasperated look as the party starts climbing down. "Oh yeah, all drow are evil, just like all elves are paragons of virtue and all half-orcs are unthinking brutes?" Lissa snorts expressively. "Really, Aeroz. Take a look at your current company. I traveled with a half-orc for a long time, and I learned a lot about generalizations from her. She was a bloody good warrior, and more honest than a lot of 'civilized' folk I've met. Bit rough around the edges, sure, but a good person to have on your side all the same." She pauses, gauging a tricky jump, then continues once she's on the next ledge. "The detect evil spell is a useful thing. If the drow comes up evil, I'll happily shoot him. But until we know for sure, it's just plain foolish to throw away a potential ally."

16. - Top - End - #166

Achkby, Halfling

"Be careful!" Achkby shouts in a hoarse whisper. "Even though the other drow have retreated, it could still be a trap!"

He shakes his head, and starts awkwardly clambering down the terraces. "This is insane. Bloody dwarves and their racism," he mutters under his breath.

He stops half of the way down, with his sling drawn, and looks around for anything unfriendly.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

17. - Top - End - #167

Darius

Darius keeps quiet, after his strange fury he seems tired and worn out. Damn it all to hell... I acted like an idiot, as usual... I could've gotten even more people killed... and for what? Glory, honor, something like that? Doesn't even exist if you ask me... I'm staying out of this arguement.

Darius holds his bow loosely in his left hand, grinding his teeth as he follows the party slowly.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy rolls his eyes, though he seems otherwise more than content to ignore Aeroz. He does spare Lissa a glance, "I'd be real careful letting past experience color yer view'a half-orcs." He leaves it at that, focusing on clearing the ledges, a fairly difficult task for a flat-footed orc in full-plate.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

The rogue replies in a cheerful voice, her eyes on the stone before her as she examines it for traps."Oh, I'm always careful. I don't really trust anyone, you know. Well, possibly my dog, but he's not here right now." Lissa winks at Lumpy and skips across the checked ground, humming a bawdy drinking song. Either she's incredibly confident or insane... possibly both. It's hard to tell with the mercurial gnome.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc murmers softly in response, reflexively, "Good eating, dog."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Linda follows the group, quite relieved at having escaped the Formians. She probably is more relieved at having escaped a confrontation than having escape a gruesome fate.
    Not being the swift and silent type, she tries to stay at the back of the group so as not to alert anyone to their presence but when the discussion about wether to kill the drow begins, she steps forth:

Wanton killing is only murder Thokk. Even if you do kill an evil being, it is always an evil act. Try to kill only when other methods of resolving the problem would be impossible. I for one would welcome a guide out of this place-and I'd would like to heal this man just to hear his story. If his words do not suffice after we've done so you can do whatever you want with him but I will not have a part in killing a helpless man nor will I allow one to be slain without a fair chance of explaining himself.
    Now, I posess some healing magic. I can go heal him if you sneaky types search out for traps around him.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lad, I will forgive ye once for hitting me, but that is the last time, next time you do that I will split you in two. Drow are evil, in my life I have slain more drow intent on destorying my clan and sacrifing them to dark gods then years you have lived! If anything, they are going to kill this dark one and sacrifce him. If we could take him with us with the garuntee we would get caught, I MIGHT follow that, lad, just because it would quash their plans and I would be able to 'interrogate' this one here. Being that that is NOT the case, he is better off dead. Belive me, that is as much compassion I can offer for his kind. Now, if you cannot offer me a plan, I will cleanly and painlessly end his life. What do you have, lad?"

23. - Top - End - #173

"My plan is to defend those incapable of defending themselves and to help those in need," Sedryn replies. "If this offends you, dwarf, it is no concern of mine."

Lissa and Fizahn scramble down to the stone altar with quick, surefooted leaps. Aeroz follows with his rapier drawn.

The lizardman stays where he is, overlooking the entire cavern from his vantage point. Achkby stands on one of the middle platforms, scanning the area defensively as well. Seeing this, Elthan I readies his crossbow and also takes up a tactical position on one of the high terraces.

The others slowly make their way down the ledges toward the central area. Lumpy, in particular, finds the footing treacherous.

The drow continues to lie still, eyes closed as if he is unaware of his surroundings. His lips move silently. On visual inspection, the manacles and chains binding him to the rock appear to be conventional. Black stains on the rock testify to the fact that the altar has been used previously and often.

The three rogues stand back from the altar as Sedryn casts detect evil. Sedryn closes his eyes, murmuring a prayer to Lathander, then opens his eyes ...

"ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!"

Sedryn clutches his temples and collapses to the ground, writhing in agony. "So ... much ... evil ... So ... close ..." he gasps.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, and that evil is the DROW. And you have now wasted my time."

*takes defense stance, Draws bow and readies to attack if something should appear*

25. - Top - End - #175

Elthan II

*Elthan walks over to the drow.*
    I doubt that a single dorw could eminate an evil arua powerfull enough to blind a priest. Most likely its this area. I can imagine the arua a temple of evil would give off.
    If this one is evil, lets see what evil has to say.

"Excuse me, Sir. Drow, but are you awake? I would like to inquer as to how you arrived in such a position."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

26. - Top - End - #176

Fizahn, gnome:

"Well of course a drow altar is going to be evil, we should have thought of that! We should move him first before trying again.! Let's get to it Lissa." Fizahn produces some lock picks from a package in his backpack and starts examining the manacles. After justifying that it would be harmless to unlock them, he sticks the lock pick in and begins fiddling with them. "Someone might want to check his wounds and make sure it's safe to move him." Fizahn continues working at the lock, by his hurried motions, you can tell he's eager to be out of here.

OOC: Search and pick lock. Not taking 20.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:14 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

27. - Top - End - #177

Lizardkin druid
    Hearing a cry, the druid looks down to see a pinkskin, one of the strangers collapsing just after casting a spell..

Semuanya.. Now.I'm needed to revive him with my herbs

He furrows his brow in thought..
    But first..

He recites the words of a simple prayer to the balance to see the auras of magic around him.

OOC: Cast detect magic in a cone and concentrate. Scan the cavern and altar. Move if not in range of opposite walls altar. Can i examine the ceiling as well?
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

"Sedryn!", Lissa exclaims. "Oh no! Are you all right? Stupid question, Lissa, he just screamed in pain, of course he's not all right. Um, just hang in there and we'll get out of here as soon as we can, okay?" With a concerned look and a pat on the cleric's armored shoulder (now that he's on the ground, she can actually reach his shoulder for once), Lissa gets out her own set of lockpicks and goes to help Fizahn with the manacles. "Yeah, you're right, Fizahn. This accursed altar is probably soaked in evil." She wrinkles her nose at the bloodstains, nimble fingers still working at a lock. "Not to mention other things. Yecch. This place reeks."

(OOC: Assist Fizahn with the search and open lock checks.)

29. - Top - End - #179

Achkby, Halfling

Achkby remains above the rest of the party, surveying as much of the room as he can. Occasionally, he glances uneasily over his shoulder to see if anyone is sneaking up beind him, but tries to keep watching outwards.
    He watches uneasily as Sedryn casts the spell, and shivers as he watches the man crumple. He nervously puts his sling back on his belt, and once again pulls his wand out.

"Keep me covered, Elthan," he calls quietly to the first of the twins.

As he watches the other smallfolk work at the altar, a thought drifts across his mind, At the very least, we probably shouldn't kill the Drow in this place. It would be best to get him away from a place so close to the evil Gods of the Underdark...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #180
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra rolls her eyes at Thokk's overt racism. "The Mulhorandi murdered my family," she tells him, "But that doesn't give me the right to kill them on sight, nor does it make them all evil. Stay there and pout if you want, but I'm going to go help."

She hops down from the ledge and walks over towards Sedryn and tries to help him stay standing.
    And then they made me their cheif.