New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Lissa

Lissa stifles a yawn, alternately peering into the darkness and looking around the circle of sleeping lumps from where she sits. Her crossbow rests on her lap, loaded and ready. I hate sentry duty. It's always so boring, and yet you REALLY don't want anything interesting to happen, because anything interesting on sentry duty is usually trouble. She shifts around a bit, being careful to make as little noise as possible. Think I'll go over the Illusory Creed in my head. Who knows, maybe Baravar will favor me. We surely need all the help we can get! And if nothing else, trying to remember it correctly will keep me awake.

Several stanzas of the holy verse later, Lissa notices that her companion is getting restless. "Hey, Linda. You look like something's bothering you. What's wrong?", Lissa asks quietly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

"It's just that I've been thinking about how we ended up here, and something really bothers me about ..."

Her quiet words are interrupted by another clatter of stones.

Linda straightens up, clutching her quarterstaff, while Lissa grabs her crossbow. Both peer into the darkness warily.

"Should we wake the others?" whispers Linda.

Suddenly, two giant spiders drop down onto Linda from above, tearing at her robes. Linda screams and scrambles backward, avoiding their pincers as they attempt to drag her away.

OOC: Combat summary ...

Surprise round
    Spider drops onto Linda and misses with an 8 (4 + 4). Spider drops onto Linda and hits with a natural 20, confirming critical with a 12 (8 + 4) for 7 damage. Linda fails fortitude save with an 11 (8 + 3) and takes 1 point of STR damage.

Initiative
    spiders 22 (19 + 3)
    Linda 18 (14 + 4)
    Lissa 6 (3 + 3)

Round 1
    Spider attempts grapple with a 17. Opposed grapple check: Linda 18 (16 + 2) vs 14 (13 + 1). Spider attempts grapple with an 11. Opposed grapple check: Linda 12 (10 + 2) vs 19 (18 + 1). Linda takes 2 damage and is grappled.

Linda (grappling) attempts to escape: 8 (6 + 2) vs 5 (4 + 1). Succeeds. Fort save succeeds with an 18.

Current HP
    Linda: 16 (25 - 9) (1 point STR damage)

3. - Top - End - #453
    Orc in the Playground

*Assuming Thokk hears the noise*

Thokk

"GET. OFF. THE LASS!"

*Thokk charges the spider grappling Linda*

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"EEEEEEEEEE!!!" If anyone wasn't awake before, they certainly are now. Lissa's reflexes kick in while her mind is still screaming in terror; she brings up her loaded crossbow, aims and shoots at the nearest spider.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz

The quick and nimble elf jumps to his feet. He goes for his rapier and two daggers. He puts one in his teeth and rushes towards his gnomish face diving companion.

[OOC: WOOO, I'm going pirate style on this spider's ass!!]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

6. - Top - End - #456
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy rolls over again, ready to yell at all the disturbances (and quite possibly to beat the tar out of whoever woke him up), but the sound and chaos of fighting clears the anger from his face. Grasping for his flail, he staggers up to his feet and lurches toward the others, having neither the time for or luxury of armor.

7. - Top - End - #457

Lizardkin Druid
    The shrill scream dispels the dream just as he looked at his hand. Rolling protectively onto the human hatchling to rest over her in all fours, the lizardman surveys the scene as he stands over Sheyra with her between his legs.

The sight of his packmate, the witch being dragged away by two giant spiders does little to improve his sour mood.

The fury builds at the thought of losing another packmate.
    ...NO!..Not even one more..
    The only thing that compelled him from rushing to the witch's aid was the need to remain over the key to protect her. In-mid-snarl, he begins casting the spell which would trap the interlopers in twisting verdant growth.

OOC: Entangle. Linda and the spiders avoid others if possible. Ready against attack afterwards.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

8. - Top - End - #458

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby jumps from sleep as he hears Lissa's scream, and sits bolt upright in his bedroll, arms flung out to either side. "WaHA!"
    His groggy mind has trouble getting a grip on the situation, but after a moment he gathers his mental faculties enough to cast a spell and send a bolt of acid at the spider next to Lissa, as he hasn't a clear shot at the one holding Linda.

[OOC]Casting Melf's Acid Arrow. Sorry I haven't the time for a more colorful post.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #459
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Companion

With the sounds of activity and combat, Trinark snaps out of his meditation. He quickly jumps to his feet, going into a defensive crouch.

He quickly glances around him for something to use as a weapon...

[OOC: DR, Trinark is looking for something he could use as a weapon, preferably a "simple" weapon like a club.]

10. - Top - End - #460

[OOC: I have a spare dagger and a heavy mace you could use. Unfortunatley, said mace is a keepsake from Sedryn, so Aeroz would not let you touch the thing]

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

11. - Top - End - #461

The dark cave opening seems to erupt into movement as a swarm of giant spiders attacks. Each spider is the size of a man, with a dozen beady eyes and fangs dripping with venom ...

Screaming, Lissa fires her crossbow point blank into the nearest spider only to be overcome by two other spiders that knock her to the ground and begin dragging her away.

Thokk charges to the attack, but is hit by a sticky stream of webbing. Linda is also webbed, but she manages to kick her way backward away from the pair of spiders chasing her. Aeroz and Lumpy manage to dodge the streams of spider silk sent their way.

As the lizardman chants, giant fungal rhizomes punch their way up out of the rocky ground, entangling Linda's spiders, but also catching Thokk and Linda in their grasp.

Achkby blasts one of the entangled spiders with an acid arrow. The trapped spider wriggles in agony as the acid burns through its carapace.

Strands of webbing fly everywhere, obscuring vision and sealing off the entrance to the cave. Lissa can't be seen behind the layers of webbing, but her screams are clearly audible as spiders drag her away.

Everyone is on his or her feet except for Hajih who continues to snore, blissfully unaware of the chaos around him ...

OOC: Combat craziness summarized ...

Initiative
    Thokk 26
    spiders 22
    Trinark 18
    Linda 18
    lizardman 11
    Lumpy 10
    Aeroz 8
    Achkby 8
    Elthans 8
    Sheyra 7
    Darius 7
    Fizahn 6

Round 1 (cont)
    Lissa shoots the nearest spider, hitting with an 18 (10 + 8) for 6 damage.

Round 2
    Thokk stands up and moves next to spider.

Spider entangles Thokk with a 20.
    Spider entangles Linda with a 12.
    Spider misses Aeroz with a 5.
    Spider misses Lumpy with a 5.
    Spider webs cave opening.

Spider attempts grapple with Lissa hitting with a 16. Opposed grapple checks: spider 17 (16 + 1) vs 14 (16 - 2). Lissa is grappled.

Spider joins grapple with Lissa. Opposed grapple checks: spider 20 (19 + 1) vs 11 (13 - 2). Lissa is grappled.

Linda takes 5 ft step to disengage from spider and stands up.

Lizardman stands and entangles Thokk, Linda, and two spiders.

Achkby stands and casts Melf's acid arrow at a spider, hitting for 5 damage this round.

All other characters stand and move.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

The gnome's screams increase in volume and shrillness as the giant spiders grab her.

"EEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Wriggling desperately, Lissa attempts to escape their many-legged embrace. Preferably before one of them lands a bite.

(OOC: Escape Artist check, please.)

13. - Top - End - #463

Lissa manages to wriggle free of the spiders' embrace. Rolling to her feet, she finds herself cut off from the rest of her companions by sheets of sticky webbing.

About a half dozen giant black spiders regard Lissa with curiosity. Their mandibles click together softly as venom drips to the pebbly ground.

Lissa shifts her grip on her discharged crossbow so that she is holding it like a club ...

OOC: Escape artist check: Lissa 23 (20 + 3) vs spiders 5 and 2! Blech!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

'GET OFF THE LITTLE LASSIE!'

*Thokk tries to muscle his way out of the webbing and roots and come to Lissa's side, but also hacking at at spider that dares to come close to him*

15. - Top - End - #465
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Against all odds, Lumpy manages to weave through the shot webbing, be it by the rage of being woken up, blind luck, or some combination of the two. Acutely aware of his lack of armor, his flail sets up a whirling defense ass he moves to strike on of the spiders within the cave.

He calls out, sparing a wave torwards the blocked entrance "Someone do something about that damned webbing!" before roaring a challenge to any spiders still inside, as if daring them to strike his unarmored form.

(OOC: Full expertise, drop AB to +6, AC up to 14, move up to the nearest spider and start swinging.)

16. - Top - End - #466
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra looks moderately annoyed at the lizardman for insisting on standing over her. Not paying attention to the entangling spell, she runs over to the nearest spider and attempts to drive her fist into its head.
    And then they made me their cheif.

17. - Top - End - #467

Fizahn:

Fizahn quickly draws his "short sword" and runs to the web barrier blocking Lissa from view. He looks for a way he can squeeze through it, but readies his short sword to slash through it.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:36 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #468

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Still sitting in his bedroll, Achkby leans over to his pack and pulls out his scroll cases. He slings them over his shoulders before returning to the fight.

"Can anybody get through to Lissa?" he cries.

Looking back at the mess in front of him, he picks out the spiders he has the best shot at, and then takes aim at one threatening Elthan I, Aeroz, or Darius. Then he casts a spell full of sharp gestures and long draconic syllables, sending a bolt of acid towards the monstrous insectoid.

[OOC]Casting Melf's Acid Arrow, aimed at any spider not engaged in combat, but hopefully near one of those three named companions (or himself). If no spider fulfills those requirements, then the spider he has the best shot at.
    Hey, DR... do you add Halfling thrown-weapon bonuses to these sort of spells, or is that different? I've always assumed it is, but never really thought about it that much...
    Assuming not... +6 to hit.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

19. - Top - End - #469

Elthan II

*Elthan has got up, like everyone else. He strides out to the others. He looks niether as his usually calm nor apathetic self, but instead a fire rages in his eyes. A fire raised from the incesent annoyances of bugs that trailed after them wherever he went. Nothing but malice shines in his eyes for the arachnids before him. He brims over with necromatic energy.*

*He raises a finger at the spider nearest Lissa and shouts out the verbal componets to his spell.*

(OOC: I've decided that Elthan now has utter contempt for bugs. Casting Ray of Enfeeblement on the spider nearest Lissa. and is it possible to do an intimidate check as well?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

20. - Top - End - #470

Aeroz

Aeroz moves towards another spider, seeing as the others are taking care of Lissa's. The elf thrusts his rapier at the spider hoping to hit a vital spot.

[OOC: Rapier +7, 1d6+1 damage +1d6 sneak attack (if applicable). AC 18 (dodge), HP 23]

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471

Darius

"Oh I'll do something about the goddamn webbing alright!" Darius says, launching two flaming arrows at the webbing, preffering to catch it on fire as well as have the arrow fly through it into a spider.

"Let it burn!!!"

Yeeehaw!

((DR, please tell me we are just hallucinating this.))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Having squirmed free, Lissa chokes for a moment upon seeing no less than six of her worst nightmares come to life in front of her. Again, her hair-trigger thief's reflexes come into play. Shifting the empty crossbow to her left hand, Lissa flicks her right forearm in a peculiar motion. A dagger shoots out of a concealed sheath and into her hand. "There's a vukdommin half-dozen spiders back here, people!", Lissa yells.

Gods, I hope they get here fast! Trying not to turn her back on the spiders, Lissa starts sawing at the webs with her dagger.

(OOC: It's the amazing slippery gnome! :D Draw concealed dagger and start attacking the webs with it. Oh yeah, and the italicized word was an extremely nasty Gnomish swear word. Tsk tsk, Lissa!)

23. - Top - End - #473
    Halfling in the Playground

Return of the Drider Gnome Tormentor

There is a muffled scrape and rattle of falling stones from above, and suddenly a dark shape skitters down the cliffside and flanks Lissa, thrusting it's face into the light. Immediately recognizeable as the claw drider from before, it now sports an eyepatch and a crude type of hide armor that was once the carapace of a Formian. The scars from the last battle are still visible on the massive arachnid-hybrid's thorax and ulnar regions. It hisses at her:

Snarly Undercommon: You're MINE, Gnome! Give up now and I'll save you... for dessert. Hah, underdark joke! We don't eat little things like you for dessert.

[...]

We eat them for DINNER!

The Drider charges and attempts to grapple her into submission, assisted by the monstrous spiders. Once she is subdued, the spiders will swarm all over her, spraying webbing until she is nicely bundled up, and all will immediately retreat into the shadows, some of the spiders refreshing the cave webbing first.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Return of Vengeful Skull Drider

Another clatter and scrape latter and the formian pieces covered drider's companion was down there next to it. A critical eye surveyed the webbing that was being diced to pieces before it turned back to the hated gnome and its partner. Seeing it rush over to help the spiders it turned back to the entrance and looked for any large rocks.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #475
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Companion

Lacking any better choices, Trinark resigns himself to using the crossbow. Fearing making things worse by way of "friendly fire", he grasps the crossbow with both hands. (Using the crossbow as a "club")

[OOC: Trinark will attempt to take advantage of any tactical combat bonus, such as flanking etc.]

Another fine mess...

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Still entangled in the spiderweb and struggling against the sticky strands, Linda attempts to cast a spell-one that would bring light in the cave-and possibly blind these dark-dwelling enemies.
    That's it! It is the last time we rest in a big cavern we cannot securely guard.
    She's clearly as irritated as the rest of the group at this sudden attack.

OOC: Attempt to cast Light.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Switching to nearest Drider, and hitting any spiders that get in the way*

"SIN AGAINST MORADIN"

28. - Top - End - #478

Thokk, partially immobilized by the lizardman's spell, nevertheless cleaves the nearest spider in half.

Lumpy reaches over the spidery webbing and the fungal tendrils in order to smash Linda's other spider, flattening it.

Despite being entangled, Linda manages to cast light onto the end of her quarterstaff, illuminating the cave interior and revealing that gauzy sheets of webbing seal the cave off from the outside and from Lissa.

Lissa's shouting reassures everyone that she is still alive, but then she screams once again and her voice becomes suddenly muffled.

Achkby burns another spider with acid, while Elthan weakens yet another spider just as Aeroz shoots it with his crossbow.

Sheyra slides forward and finishes off one of the spiders with a focused blow to the head, which caves in like an overripe melon.

"We have to get to Lissa!" shouts Fizahn, who slashes away at the thick webbing with his blade. Darius is more successful shooting the webbing with two flaming arrows, which tear through as if the webs were mere tissue paper. A narrow passage is created through the webbing, connecting the interior of the cave to the beach outside.

OOC: Combat summary ...

Thokk crits with a natural 19 and a 16 (8 + 8) for a whopping 27 points of damage.

Linda casts light, easily making her concentration check with a 23 (13 + 10).

Lumpy hits a spider with a 19 (13 + 6) for 16 damage.

Achkby hits a spider with an acid arrow with a natural 17, for 4 points of damage.

Elthan hits a spider with a ray of enfeeblement with a natural 16, for 6 points of strength damage. Aeroz hits the same spider with a 22 (15 + 7) for 3 points of damage. Sheyra finishes off the spider with a 15 for 5 points of damage.

Fizahn attacks the webbing doing 1 (6 - 5) point of damage. Darius fires two flaming arrows into the webbing, which burn a 5' x 10' passage through the webs.

The last remaining spider within the cave misses Lumpy with a 5.

The six spiders outside the cave attack Lissa. Lissa's AoO hits one of the spiders for 4 points of damage. She is grappled by 3 of the 6 spiders. One of the six spiders webs her.

The driders carry her away ...

Summary

Three spiders killed within the cave. One spider (injured) remains. Thokk and Linda are entangled.

Outside the cave, six spiders (one injured) have captured Lissa. The skull and claw driders carry her away.

A narrow passage has been burned through the sheets of webbing allowing passage to the outside.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"MRRRRRRMPH!" One can't really see Lissa's expression through the webbing, but from the muffled sounds coming out, she is pissed. The cocoon heaves as the gnome inside tries to get out.

Baravar, if you love me, if I've served you well at all, let me get out of this alive! And let me kill the first drider slowly while the second watches! Or let one of my companions do it, they've been hurt by the driders too.

(OOC: Another Escape Artist check... maybe I'll get lucky with another 20! Baravar is a rather vengeful god, so Lissa's prayer would probably appeal to him. ;) )

30. - Top - End - #480

Fizahn:

"LISSA!" Fizahn quickly Moves through the opening pursuing Lissa and the driders. He is waving his "short sword" madly and running as fast as his legs can take him.

OOC: Whatever checks applicable for getting through the webbing, and charge them if I can.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:38 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.