New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Yes, Fro, but my sacrifice has enabled us to carry on with another party member!

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby stalks into the chamber with the rest of the weary party, but doesn't rest until the space has been declared safe.
    It can hurt to be too vigilant, but I'm not to that point yet. A little longer down here, though, and I might go insane. There's no sky. No weather.

"Well, I guess we're here for a few hours. Shall we set watches?" he asks in a tired voice.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drow Prisoner

Upon having his hands bound, the Drow potests quietly but resigns himself to his new "captors". When the group finds this new resting place, he once again asks (in Undercommon) to be released. When he isn't released, he once again, asks for some water explaining he hasn't had anything to drink in over two "days". In an effort to persuade, he offers to help the group avoid the dangers of the Underdark.

[OOC: I am going to assume you haven't given me anything unless your post explicitly says so.]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

"Yeah, that'd be a good idea. I'll take first with someone else." Darius says. He will head to his room and wait for the others to go to bed. He will kneel on the floor, looking up at the ceiling. If only I could see the sky... Clasping his hands together, he will pray to Tyr. Then he will head out into the hallway (central cave) and watch the entrance.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ill take whatever watch lads, the Darkness doesnt bother me at all, I can see just fine!"

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Having finished her prayer, Lissa picks up her crossbow and exits the alcove for the central cavern. "I guess I'll take first watch with you, Darius. That way I can sleep the rest of the 'night' without being interrupted." She glances curiously over at the drow. "Oh, it looks like our guest is awake. Anyone understand what he's saying?" Cleaning her nails with a dagger, the gnome considers the bound drow. The spark of curiosity animates her face. "You know, I bet they have reptilians down here. Wonder if our drow can speak Draconic?"

"Drow, do you understand this language?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

"Someone else can sleep first. I ain't putting down fer a bit." Lumpy drops his pack, as before seeming unwilling to bed for the night until he's had a good run of the place. After a last short tour of the cave system, he settles near the drow, leaning against the wall.

"None of them understand a word you're saying, you know." His expression seems vaguely amused for a change, perhaps that he knows something no one else does. He stands in place for a while, scanning the dark intently, but finally growls a soft sigh of exasperation. Bending over his pack, he detaches a waterskin. Perhaps he recalls his own thirst, from only a day or two earlier, or perhaps he's simply tired of listening to the drow ask for it. The tone of his undercommon changes, from a slow drawl, to something clipped and brusque, as if he's trying to play off the gesture as something besides altruism, "Alright, tip you damned head back and quit yapping."

When (or if) the drow complies, Lumpy pours him some water, drinks some himself, then tosses the skin back towards his things. He settles back against the wall, perhaps trying to look more brooding than usual. Eventually, he plls out his recently aquired gem, playing with it a little, as if hoping it's function will someow discern itself, waiting for the others to wake so he can sleep.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drow Prisoner

When he hears Draconic from the small one, he briefly turns away from the Half-Orc. Responding in Draconic, "Yes, Miss, I do."

The Drow eagerly tips his head back and gulps down the water. To (Lumpy), "My thanks for the water, I won't forget it."

Very awkwardly, the Drow do his best to pull Sedryn's blanket around his shoulders...or at least cover part of himself. When the activity dies down, he murmurs to (Lumpy), "Your group is quite a sight. I am ready to answer your questions, if it will get me closer to freedom."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The stout orc shrugs, his armor raspinig against the rock behind him, "It might, but I'm not making any promises. I don't control this rabble any more than you." Letting that settle in, Lumpy continues, asking a few questions, and giving him time to offer a response to each, "What in Faerun did you do to end up as spider bait? Any idea where in the Hell we are? Or where the Glimmersea is?"

9. - Top - End - #279

"Well, everyone seems rather eager to take first watch, but we need some people to take other watches. I suggest this: Lissa and Darius take first watch, Lumpy and Aeroz take second watch, Sedryn and Elthan the first take third, Thokk and Elthan the second take fourth, Linda and Fizahn take fifth, and... and, well, I guess Ssah... er, the lizardfolk and I take the last watch."
    He looks a bit uneasy for a moment as he finishes up, but then nods curtly.
    That'll be an interesting night.

"I gues each watch would be a little less than two 'hours' long..."
    He looks around for any objections.

((Simu post...))
    Hearing Lumpy talk on through his planning, Achkby says sharply, "And Lumpy, I think it would be best to question him in a language that more of us can understand."
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, Ill be spending my time 'watching' our Drow over hear and sharpening my sword just for him..."

*Goes over to the Drow*

*Says in Dwarf, Abyssal, and Gnome*
    "Ach, I didnt think we should save yer, being an evil creature of darkness. Should ye make a single wrong move, ill behead ye. If you dont, perhaps I wont. Sound like a good deal?"

11. - Top - End - #281

Hajih shrugs at being left out of the watch rotation. He retreats into a secluded cave and takes several long swigs from his nearly empty cask of ale.

Meanwhile, Elthan I and Achkby sit down off to the side of the main cave. Their conversation (as usual for them) turns to dragons and the draconic.

Sedryn face darkens when he sees Thokk threatening the drow. Though Sedryn can't understand Thokk's words, the dwarf's tone is clear enough.

Sedryn shoves Thokk aside. "Leave him alone, dwarf! He's half-naked and his hands are bound. What possible threat could he be? I will watch the drow. I wouldn't want to have us all wake up to find his throat slit!"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Rolling her eyes at the incipient quarrel between Thokk and Sedryn, Lissa walks over to the drow and helps him cover himself more effectively with the blanket. "There, that looks a bit better. I'd offer my spare cloak, but somehow I don't think it would fit very well." She smiles, but doesn't put down her crossbow. "Not many of us understand your language, but most here do speak Draconic. So, it would help if you would repeat your replies to Lumpy here-" she gestures to the half-orc- "in Draconic. Oh, I'm Lissa, by the way."

13. - Top - End - #283

Lizardkin Druid
    Dismayed that they would have to leave the sacrificial rock intact, he walks away vowing to become more attuned to the balance so he could destroy altars like them once and for all.

His march to the series of caves is silent and he does not pay attention to the new addition. He does note that his hands are tied and he is treated as a captive.

By the balance, do pinkskins EAT blackskins?...I think not.
    On arriving at their destination, he continues to refill the waterskins he can. Once the watch rotation is determined. He stalks off to forage for food and other useful materials in the growth and the cave.
    I wonder if some form of berry grows here below the surface. A spell of mine could turn them into meals

OOC: He will make a few quick rounds to forage and later specifically identify the fungi he's already carrying before sleeping until his watch
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drow Prisoner

[OOC: I have no idea which languages each characters speak other than the ones already used.]

He shrugs at the dwarf with a look of confusion, but seems to understand the ending when he hefts his weapon.

To Lissa in Draconic: "Thank you Miss for your help. Could you spare a bite from your rations? I haven't had anything to eat in many days. My name is Trinark, and I appreciate your kindness. It isn't something often found down here." (Trinark is pronounced like "grin" with a T, and "arc" like the boat)

Trinark repeats this in both Draconic and Undercommon: "Lumpy, I do have a rough idea where we are. I am able and willing to help you find the Glimmersea if it will help secure my freedom. I understand your suspicions because of my race. I can only offer that I am outcast from my kind, which is why I was left as food for the Driders."

[OOC2: If Lumpy speaks Draconic, prehaps we can use that instead of Undercommon?]

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lass, I warned ye, keep yer hands off or you will be lacking them. I was merely telling him if he tries anything at all, he will be killed. As he is the prisioner, we are honor bound to keep him alive, which I will abide by. However, should he try anything to run or escape or attack, his life is forfiet. If you dont like my ways, too bad lass. I follow the rules that are the good of the whole, and which puts the clan at the least amount of danger. Its called Duty lass."

EDIT: I was talking about Sedryn, not Lissa. S is the one actually touching Thokk, and he is not liking her "Holier Then Thou" attitude at all

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Shaking his flask, Hajih curses loudly and comes out of his 'room' picking up one of the small fungi, he looks to see if it is the same fungus as he found earlier. Seeing the drow is in the main cavern along with several others, he goes over to investigate.
    Speaking quietly to the drow, he asks "So, do you speak common at all?"
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

17. - Top - End - #287

Sedryn steps between Lissa and Thokk. "Back off, dwarf!" Anger burns in his eyes. One of the Elthans jumps in to intervene before the confrontation escalates into actual violence.

Meanwhile, a great tragedy has occurred - Hajih has run out of ale! Slightly tipsy and a bit irritated, Hajih stumbles out of his cave and speaks softly to the drow. Trinark's blank look confirms that he has no understanding of the common tongue used on the surface.

The lizardman circles the caves, exploring each nook and cranny as well as sniffing the fungi. The dried herbs and fungi the lizardman has been carrying appear to be edible, if unpalatable. Most of the group sticks with the ever-dwindling rations.

The hours pass uneventfully. The party takes turns covering the only entrance in pairs. While one group is on guard duty, the others rest or meditate. Sleep has been coming easier in the Underdark for each of you, though the more sensitive of you have been plagued by bad dreams of late ...

OOC: XP to be distributed in the OOC thread shortly ...

18. - Top - End - #288

Dammit, I tried to include everybody in that watch rotation, I can't believe I forgot Haji. Oh well, at least no one's complained.

Achkby continues on in his hushed conversation with Elthan for quite a while, mostly ignoring the debate over the prisoner.

I tried to sort out a balanced watch schedule, and that's my contribution for the night. I hope that Aeroz and Lumpy's feelings about him cancel each other out...
    It might have been good to put Haji in thre somewhere, but he has been useless so far, and I don't really want to trust him on this. I don't like Lumpy's manner, but at least he's proven to be competent.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*In a Corner Praying*

"O Soulfather, creater of all Dwafen kind, please watch over me, and keep my clan in the glow of yer forge. Give me the power of the hammer striking the forge to smite mine enemies. Amen"

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc respinds to Trinark's offer of guiding them in exchange for freedom with an indistinct shrug, "Mebbe." From his manner though, all of the goings on in Draconic seem to be as meaningless to him as undercommon is to everyone else.

As he did the night before, Lumpy makes an effort to clean himself before he rests, finally stripping his armor and sleeping until his watch. During his watch, he wanders a bit, playing with his stone and scanning all of the passages warily He seems to avoid talking further with trinark as a rule.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Though she looks interested in what Trinark has to say, Lissa is also looking rather tired. She covers a yawn. "Not a problem, Trinark... at least not for me. Watch out for the dwarf, he's got a serious problem with you. He tries anything, yell and somebody will come knock some sense into that granite dwarven skull." The rogue rolls her eyes. "Dwarves... Anyway, this language is starting to tangle my tongue. Get some sleep and we'll talk tomorrow." With that, she smiles at the bound drow again, checks his bonds to make sure they're secure, and takes up a watchpost near one of the main entrances. Once her watch is over, Lissa wakes up her replacement, strips off her armor, and collapses into her bedroll. Gnomish snores soon sound from the alcove where she's sleeping.

The next morning, though, it doesn't look as though Lissa has slept very well. Even after a wash-up and meal, she has dark circles under her eyes... which is odd, since the gnome hasn't had trouble sleeping in the Underdark before now...

22. - Top - End - #292

Fizahn:

Fizahn merely watches as everyone goes about their business. He takes no part in the interrogation of the drow. He looks at Achkby when he announces the guarding order. Moving over to the halfling and talking in a whisper he says, "The problem with coming up with the order yourself is that you can't leave yourself out or they'll get mad at you. Next time, let's let those big old brutes do it themselves and we'll likely get left out as being small and 'useless.' Saving the ending spot for yourself at any rate, good call." Fizahn retires to his "bedroom" slightly before everyone else. He is soon sound asleep.

The first guard notices that Fizahn's good sleep didn't last so long as they here a lot of noise from his chamber. On the second watch, Fizahn comes out sweating, but when he sees Lumpy and Aeroz, he mutters something about not being able to tell the time while he sleeps and goes back to bed. He begins sleeping again fitfully, but when the watches change, they notice he is turning quite a bit. He comes out again during the beginning of the fourth watch, and gives the same explanation to Thokk and Elthan that he gave to Lumpy and Aeroz. It is obvious to Linda that he is irritated during the fifth watch, but if she tries to bring it up he avoids her. When he wakes Achkby for the final watch, he doesn't appear to be happy to get back to bed and offers to take Achkby's watch. In the morning, he ends up looking rather poorly rested.

OOC: Just don't pay attention for 2 days and everything speeds up! I guess I kinda cemented the guard order there, and will have to edit this if any random monsters appear. Sorry about the post being extra long also.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:20 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Linda
    The white haired sorceress eyes the drow carefully-interest as well as pity in her eyes. It would seem that Linda has compassion to spare for all though such emotions don't come up very often with her. She sits down and sleeps as the others watch then, when it is her time to stand watch along with a few others, she closes in on the drow prisoner, adressing him in draconic:

Are you in the mood for some conversation? We would like some information-as I'm sure my friends have already told you. Do not mind the dwarf-he's very set in his ways and sees the world in black and white though deep down he has a good heart. You just have to gain his trust-our trust. Why were you tied up and left as Drider food? What confuses me is that driders are supposed to be failures while you were tied in an altar as a sacrifice.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Prisoner

Trinark responds to Linda in Draconic, "I don't exactly know how I came to be chained to "that slab". What I do know is that I had been tortured at length by a group of loyal worshipers of Lolth. I had and have been on the run for quite some time. Suffice it to say that I don't hold the same opinion of the world that most Drow do. I am familiar with similar Drow rituals of sacrificing criminals to Driders as a particularly harsh and insulting punishment. I am grateful to have escaped that end. I am willing to cooperate, in return for my freedom."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Linda
    The sorceress does not appear to drop her worried look at this though she smiles at the drow.
    And what does that mean exactly? Your statement of a different worldview could be taken as being good as opposed to evil-like most of your race or it might have other meanings. You might mean that you're a worshipper of Vhaeraun, Kiaranshalee or some other ghastly deity that opposes Lolth and thus the priestesses of Lolth sought to punish you.

As you can see, without further info, such a statement is far from reassuring.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

26. - Top - End - #296

Elthan II

*Elthan, unable to sleep at first, stayed up a bit with the first watch, thogu appeared to be contemplating the collective groups next move.*
    *He goes to sleep and when he comes out he does not look as thoug he recieved much sleep. In face, he has been awake for the last few hours simply lying in 'bed' for everyone else to get up. He appears more divulged in thought than he was the night before.*

What does it mean? How does the dream apply, and is it what will truely happen, or a for-shadowing of things that might. If only I was a bit wiser.

*As he is seen more by the groups he perks up slightly to mask his true feelings.*
    "I think we might be getting close to the surface, I keep feeling breezes from the outside. Perhaps it is only a wanting thought, but its nice to imagine. How far from the surface do you think we are Thokk?"

I wonder if Elthan also had the dream? Perhaps I should seek the Lizards wisdom upon it... So many paths, so many to leave un-traveled.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, lads, that was a wonderful sleep, dont you agree? I havnt felt this rested in ages! Tis good to be underground again!"

28. - Top - End - #298

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

After taking his watch, Aeroz stays up, considering that he has had enough sleep for one "night". After taking a swig from his waterskin, he goes to see the drow. He sees Linda talking to him, and a thought appears in his head.

I was always taught to hate drow. They were always treacherous, vile and dangerous. Lissa, the mages and Sedryn seem to have a different oppinion though. Are they being mislead by this dark elf or do they actually have a point in trusting his word.

Aeroz approaches the drow

"So, drow, I didn't get your name there."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

29. - Top - End - #299

Achkby wakes after the best sleep he's had in a long time, and quickly meditates, gathering in all of the Arcane power that he can hold.

Then he goes out into the main cave to join the lizardfolk for his watch.

I hope he's in a good mood... and that the blasted Drow hasn't gotten away or been killed, though I suppose Fiz would have mentioned that.

"Hello," he says tentatively in the lizardfolk's native tongue.
    "Erm... sleep well?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

In stark contrast to the cheerful, well-rested Thokk and Achkby, Lissa is yawning throughout the morning meal. She seems a bit edgy and irritable, which is unusual; normally Lissa is disgustingly perky when she's not fighting or fatigued. Noticing Fizahn's similar demeanor, she walks over to him. "Morning, Fizahn. You look like you got about as much sleep as I did. Something happen on your watch?"

Should I mention the dream to anyone? It could be important... but I don't really know these people all that well. They might well laugh it off, or worse, think I'm lying. It just seemed so real...