New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Lissa, rogue

Lissa is now blushing fiercely, creating a rather odd effect with her natural olive complexion. She quickly puts the crossbow away. "I'm SO sorry! Honest! I thought for sure... okay, I'll just shut up now." Looking completely mortified, the gnome goes back to rearguard.

Well, THAT definitely qualifies as one of my all-time most spectacular screwups. Nice job, Lissa. Now that you've cried 'wolf', even if you do discover Sethra's victim nobody will believe you! Oh, and you've alienated one of the only other girls here as well, who happens to be a good person. Really nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

(OOC:After Lumpy's thoughts on undercommon being common down here)

Darius

"Well, he won't be able to live down here much longer with the drow chasing him, so I suggest someone who knows his language teach him." Darius says with a shrug.

Watching Lissa accuse Sheyra he seems ready to jump in but holds back at the sight of the lizardman. He waits patiently while Achkby casts his spell.

Waste o' time, waste o' time, waste o 'time.

Darius will head behind Lissa as rearguard. "That wasn't the wisest of actions back there... but I suppose I understand how you feel." Darius says with a sigh.

There is no way in hell I'm letting her take the rearguard, that was completely insane.

Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arriving at the Glimmersea is strangely anti-climactic. The passageway opens onto a shale beach, and there it is ...

Dark water stretches away as far as the eye can see. Small waves crash onto the rocky shore creating phosphorescent foam. Luminescent crystals in the soaring, vaulted ceiling create the illusion of a vast field of stars above, which is reflected in the black Sea below, so that when you stare out toward the horizon, it is as almost as if you are adrift in an endless night sky. The effect is mildly disorienting.

The gentle glow from the sea foam and the "stars" above allow even unassisted human eyes, dark adapted after days or weeks of travel through the Underdark, to see somewhat. The level of light is probably as low as that in a moonless night up on the surface, but to your weary party, the absence of total darkness is surprisingly refreshing.

Rounded black stones crunch underfoot as you spread out along the shoreline. It stretches to your left and to your right seemingly indefinitely. A cliff rises up behind you, punctuated at irregular intervals with caves or tunnel entrances, much like the one the party just exited from.

The end of the "day" has arrived. Trinark, Hajih, and Lumpy scout out some shelter, choosing a large cave that appears to be above the markings representing high tide. The cave opening is wide, but difficult to access, making it fairly easily defensible.

Water is plentiful, but the last of the rations are consumed, including the dried mushrooms. Perhaps more concerning is the prospect of another "night" in which a hidden threat might manifest itself ...

4. - Top - End - #394
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy keeps himself typically seperate from the accusations, taking neither side. He does seem rather irritated by the holdup, but keeps his tongue up until the suggestions come that he give up his gem, "Yeah, right.. I knocked it out fair and square. I keep it"

He pauses, musing for a moment, "Incidently, anyone recognize the word 'kryzyklyk'? It might be important." He repaeats the question in undercommon for Trinark, but as usual, he refrains from elaborating further.

5. - Top - End - #395

As soon as the word leaves Lumpy's lips, a ripple of force expands outward, encompassing the entire party.

Lissa, Fizahn, Achkby, Hajih, and Lumpy himself are unaffected. Everyone else collapses to the ground clutching their ears in agony.

As they stagger to their feet, Thokk, Darius, the lizardman, and Linda seem disoriented. Thokk begins to run away down the shore towards the water. Linda gropes for her staff, then charges at Lumpy, eyes wild with horror. Darius and the lizardman babble incoherently.

Sheyra, Trinark, the Elthans, and Aeroz shake their heads in confusion. They've been deafened by the softly spoken word ...

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa stays quiet during the trek to the Glimmersea and subsequent campsite setup, only commenting once on how lovely the Glimmersea is. She sets up her bedroll near Trinark's. Of everyone here, I think he's probably least likely to hold a grudge. Kind of ironic... the dark elf is the only non-murder suspect, and the only person who will probably tolerate my company after that little fiasco earlier. Glancing toward Achkby, Lissa winces. And what must Achkby think? He really is nice, and intelligent, and handsome... and I made a total fool of myself in front of him. She sighs and digs out her waterskins and slender pouch of rations. No use sobbing over a collapsed tunnel. I just have to keep digging and move on.

Turning to Trinark, the gnome offers one of her small waterskins. "Hey Trinark, want some water? I know it's not much for a tall-folk, but it's better than nothing." She glances at the sparkling Glimmersea. "There's an awful lot of water there, but is it safe to drink?"

Just as she gets done talking, Lumpy utters what seems to be (quite literally) the magic word. Lissa looks on in confusion and horror as what seems like half the party go berserk. "What in the Nine Hells... Thokk! Get back here, you fool! You'll drown in that armor! Somebody catch him, I'm not strong enough to restrain a dwarf!" Stepping up to Darius, she yanks on his cloak until he bends over, then proceeds to slap the babbling man in the face. "Stop that! We need you!"

(EDIT: Simulpost. :-/ )

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc looks rather shocked himself, but manages a faint smirk, "Well that's.. handy"

His expression does darken into a scowl as half the party seems to lose their mind, "Sorta.. up until they kill me anyway"

He sets into motion, muttering "Guess this needs fixing now.."

(OOC: Well, crap. Lumpy will try and trip Linda if she gets in range, but refrain from followup attacks (so as to not actually hurt her), and then try to chase thokk down.)

8. - Top - End - #398

Fizahn:

Fizahn is quit the rest of the way to the Glimmersea. He spends the time as rearguard with Lissa and Darius. Once they get to the Glimmersea, he looks at it confused. How are we going to cross it, if that's even what we want to do? He begins setting up his bedroll when Lumpy utters the weird word. He stands up and looks at the confusion for a brief second. "I don't think you should ever say that again! Lumpy go after Thokk! I'll try to stop Lissa! Achkby if you have any spells that could help me use them!" Fizahn immediately rushes at Linda and springs onto her, trying to hold her down.

OOC: Grapple -1... Damn...
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:33 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

9. - Top - End - #399

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz grasps his ears in confusion. He sees peoples lips moving, but he cant hear what they are saying.

[OOC: When I was a child, I had a fever. My hand felt just like two balloons. I am so sorry, I had to do that. If any of you do get that, you get a cookie. Incidentally, this is the third weird thing that has happened to Aeroz. First filth fever, then petrification, and now deafening. The abuse keeps coming and coming.]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

10. - Top - End - #400
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra yells ridiculously loudly, "Whatever that was, don't do it again!" She is holding her head like something just exploded inside of it.
    And then they made me their cheif.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Companion

Trinark spends a few moments leaning against the wall and trying to clear his head. Hoping the effect, like many, is only temporary. He looks around to see how the rest of the group is doing. When he sees Linda charging Lumpy, he staggers in that direction to see if he can assist.

12. - Top - End - #402

Elthan II

*Elthan runs up and helps Errikin hold down Linda.*

Well, looks like lumpy found the command word. Once this is over though, I dont imagine he'll be speaking any words.

(OOC: I believe I have +1 to grapple.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

13. - Top - End - #403

Sorry, I've been gone, I've been in a workshop these last two days. I thought I'd have time to post Friday after classes & before I went,m but it turned out it was starting earlier than I epected.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby does not take part in the accusations, but obligingly scans everyone else for magic at Lissa's request. He shakes his head a bit at her sudden spurt of paranoia, but says nothing.
    We all have our quirks, I suppose. She's normally really nice, too, but I guess... well, these are hard times.

[hr]
    He remains silent as they pad along through the dark, lost in his own thoughts.
    We're destroying ourselves down here... if not each other. We had better find some way out of here soon...

[hr]
    As Lumpy says the odd word, Achkby calmly answers him, "No."
    Then, seeing his companions collapse. He stares around for a moment, bewildered.

Then, seeing four of the group in trouble and only half of everyone else unaffected, he comes to a quick decision.

I've got to do something! But what? These are my friends!

As everyone springs to restrain Linda, Achkby doges away from them, and spies Thokk, apparently set on self-destruction.
    "Thokk! Stop!"

Maybe I can slow him down. Though if my spell works and he gets to the water, he's in trouble.

He hurriedly begins a low chant, and makes some slow circular gestures. An undulating ray of dull burgundy energy springs from between his palms and quickly squirms through the air towards Thokk.

[OOC]Casting Ray of Enfeeblement. +5 to hit.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

14. - Top - End - #404

Linda swings wildly at Lumpy who neatly sidesteps and trips Linda with his foot. Fizahn and Elthan leap onto Linda, restraining her as best they can. She fights with maniacal energy, but Fizahn and Elthan manage to keep her from hurting herself as they pin her to the ground. Elthan, still deafened, loudly comments, "Well that was interesting!"

Meanwhile, Thokk is running for the Glimmersea as fast as his stubby little legs will take him. Achkby's ray strikes him in the back. Thokk stumbles, but continues to flee with as much speed as he can muster. Lumpy (seeing Linda safely restrained) sprints after him, hoping to catch the dwarf before he drowns himself.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"MUST GET AWAY FROM THE EVIL! THE EVIL WILL DESTROY USE ALL! QUICK, IF WE GET INTO THE PORTAL WE WILL BE SAFE

*Thokk is screecing in a cacaphony of all languages he knows, and a few he is making up*

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Darius seems oblivious to the slap, so Lissa lets him go. Looking around, she sees that the wild-eyed spellcaster has been restrained, but Thokk is still heading for the water, albeit at a slower speed. Lissa races after him as fast as her short legs will carry her.

Hope he doesn't just drag me into the water after him... maybe if I hit him behind the knees...

(OOC: If she can catch up with him, Lissa will try and help Lumpy stop Thokk, probably by tackling Thokk behind the knees. If Lumpy gets there first, she'll offer a helping hand and rope to tie him up until he regains his senses.)

17. - Top - End - #407

Thokk splashes ankle deep into the Sea, then turns around just in time to see Lumpy rushing for him. Eyes wild, Thokk takes a mighty swing with his fist (having left his sword on the ground back in the cave). Lumpy leans back and lets the haymaker fly past. I guess we'll have to do this the hard way, he thinks to himself.

The half-orc and dwarf circle each other in the shallow water.

"YOU WON'T TAKE ME ALIVE YOU MAGGOTY ORC!!!" screams Thokk, spittle flying ...

OOC: Thokk vs Lumpy, for bragging rights and 500 XP ...

Initiative
    Thokk: 24 (18 + 6)
    Lumpy: 6 (6 + 0)

Round 1
    Thokk misses with a 12 (4 + 5).

Current HP
    Thokk: 51 (deafened, confused, 6 STR damage)
    Lumpy: 31

18. - Top - End - #408
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc doesn't look entirely displeased at this turn of events, raising his arms defensively as he moves to approach to dwarf once more. he leaves his flail at his belt, this becoming a matter of pride. Besides, the others would probably get angry if he actually hurt the dwarf.

Abruptly, he sloshes forward, one leg shooting out, followed by a high hit, an attempt to knock the dwarf over.

(OOC: Lumpy will trade 1 BAB into expertise, and then try to step up and trip Thokk (and kick him if he goes down):

+7 to hit, +8 on the opposed str check)

19. - Top - End - #409

Lumpy closes in for the throw, but Thokk is as immovable as a block of granite. Lumpy pays for his rashness as Thokk's gauntleted fist smashes into his nose. The half-orc smells and tastes the metallic tang of blood as it begins to trickle down his upper lip ...

OOC: Combat summary ...

Lumpy attempts trip (no AoO) hitting with a 16 (9 + 7). Opposed STR checks: Thokk 23 (19 + 4) vs Lumpy 14 (6 + 4 + 4). Trip is unsuccessful. Opposed STR checks: Thokk 13 (9 + 4) vs Lumpy 23 (15 + 4 + 4). Thokk's countertrip is unsuccessful.

Round 2

Thokk hits with a natural 20 (confirmed critical with natural 19) for 5 points of damage.

Current HP
    Thokk: 51 (deafened, confused, 6 STR damage)
    Lumpy: 26 (31 - 5)

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc mutters a myriad of curses in orcish, his tongue flicking out briefly at the tasste of blood. After a moment, he drops his arms into a lower position, opting to just swing away at thook in a properly orcish fashion.

(OOC: Drop expertise, and just try and hit him, at +8

Edit: If it's not too late, I'd rather try tripping him again, but if you rather no take-backs, I'll try next round instead.)

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

'Moradin purple wobble goose bump fizz!'

OOC: Hrm, well this certainly is strange. Well, it will be fun if nothing else.

Just as a point of interest, doesnt Thokks gauntlet do 1d3+3 points of damage? So, He had to have done at least 8 points of damage to lumpy... Either way, I dont think Thokk is gonna be doing alot besides flailing around...

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa skids to a halt as Lumpy gets to Thokk first. She watches first in shock, then with a smirk. Dwarf vs. half-orc, this ought to be good! All I need now is some mead and roasted nuts. "Woo, go Lumpy! Smack that dwarf! So, bets anyone?" She looks back at the rest of the group. "Need any help with Linda there? I've got rope if you want to tie her up until the magic wears off."

(OOC: Sorry, SD, couldn't resist. :D )

23. - Top - End - #413

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz sits down and puts his pinky in his ear. If it hurts, then something is most definitely wrong. After doing so, he runs towards Thokk and Lumpy, rapier and main gauche drawn to try and break up the fight.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

24. - Top - End - #414
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra just stands in one place, looking bewildered until she sees the fight. She runs over to help, but Thokk's hard punch in Lumpy's face make her hesitate.
    And then they made me their cheif.

25. - Top - End - #415

Lumpy grabs Thokk by the shoulders and, kicking his feet out from under him, sends Thokk crashing into the surf. Lumpy kicks Thokk in the gut for good measure as he goes down.

Thokk tries to get up, but Lumpy keeps knocking him down into the Sea. For a moment, it looks like Lumpy is going to drown the dwarf, until Aeroz (his ears still ringing) gets in between them shouting, "BREAK IT UP! BREAK IT UP!"

The two combatants separate. Lumpy wipes his bloody nose while Thokk sits in the surf catching his breath.

Eventually, everyone comes to their senses, and hearing gradually returns to those who were deafened by the word of chaos.

[hr]
    It has been a crazy "day" and everyone is exhausted. The fatigue is tempered by uncertainty and fear however. With Sedryn's death fresh in everyone's mind, no one is eager to be the first to fall asleep ...

OOC: Combat summary ...

Lumpy attempts trip with an 18 (10 + 8). Opposed STR checks: Lumpy 22 (14 + 4 + 4) vs Thokk 12 (9 + 4). Thokk is tripped. Lumpy follows up with a melee attack, hitting with an 18 (10 + 8) for 6 (2 + 4) damage.

Round 3

Thokk gets up. Lumpy's AoO misses (natural 1). Thokk's attack misses (natural 1). Lumpy attempts trip with a 13 (5 + 8). Opposed STR checks: Lumpy 16 (8 + 4 + 4) vs Thokk 9 (5 + 4). Thokk is tripped. Lumpy follows up with a melee attack, missing with a natural 2.

Current HP
    Thokk: 45 (51 - 6) (deafened, confused, 6 STR damage)
    Lumpy: 26

26. - Top - End - #416

Lizardkin Druid

SEMUANYA!! what just happened...

The lizardman is sitting on the floor, a dull throbbing headache replacing the hazy cloud of confusion that had begun to clear.

Groaning softly he slumps against a wall and rests. His mind for a moment free from the worries of his tribe, Sethra and the little pinkskin youngling.

If the orckin ..ever.does that again....I will feed it...the.....

His thoughts fall apart as he drifts off.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

27. - Top - End - #417

Darius

"Aw, god dammit!" Darius swears, slamming his hand into the sand. "My head hurts..." he groans.

Lumpy you idiot...

He kicks around dust for a bit, then calls everyone to attention.
    "Okay, here's the sleeping plan... everyone get in a circle, fairly close together. Even you, anti-social lizardman. We won't be sleeping against the walls, but in the middle of this beach. I know being in the open seems unsafe, but if our enemies can't walk through walls we will have to take a few risks. Now, a member from each party will be awake at all times, watching from opposite ends of the circle.

Those on guard will make sure to watch eachother as well as all the party members. Watch one will go to Aeroz and Elthan. Watch two goes to Sheyra, and Elthan II. The third watch will be taken by Achkby and the Lizardman. The fourth by Lissa and Linda. The fifth by Fizahn and Lumpy. The sixth, Hajih and Thokk. The seventh, the drow and me. Yes, I know it's not the wisest of ideas, but I'm willing to give it a shot, either the drow takes a watch or someone else has to take two."

Darius walk past Aeroz with a quick whisper. "Keep a close eye on him."

((Yes, I know circles don't have ends, but Darius hasn't taken geometry.))
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Fighter

Blood still running down his face, Lumpy scowls, his farmhand's drawl buried beneath the brogue of a clogged nose, "Damned Dwarb brode my nobe."
    He snorts tremendously clearing a blockage of blood and pleghm in a graphic spray.

He makes his way out of the surf, attempting to realign his nose between gritted fangs and soft hisses of pain. However, since the oft-broken cartilage wasn't straight to begin with, all he ends up with when he is done, is yet another kink amidst his face. Despite this, when he sits down, he doesn't seem throughly displeased. He grunts noncommittally at the split of watches, still speaking a bit nasally, "Fine."

29. - Top - End - #419

Elthan looks at Darius in disbelief.

"Are you seriously suggesting that we sleep out here in the open? Our torches are probably visible for leagues in any direction. I have no doubt that those driders or worse would be drawn straight to us like moths to a flame. Even if we put out the lights and slept out on the beach in the dark, this would be a completely indefensibly location ...

"Those of you that want to sleep out here on the beach are welcome to, but I for one am joining the lizardman in the cave. Bogeyman or no bogeyman ..."

Elthan crunches off across the beach towards the cave.

30. - Top - End - #420

((I didn't know there was a cave!))

"Well to the cave it is... and no lights. Though I think the driders are the least of our problems."
    Currently Playing:
    OOC