New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Achkby, Halflfing Sorcerer

"No lights? You certainly are insane. Without lights, anything can sneak up on us. Because most of us can't see in the dark."
    He goes after Eltahn and the lizardman to the cave, shaking his head.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

2. - Top - End - #422

A compromise is struck and a single everburning torch is placed on the ground as the party gathers in the cliff cave.

The perimeter of the cave is examined in minute detail by Fizahn to be sure there will be no surprises (at least no conventional ones).

Thokk, Lumpy, and the lizardman occasionally peer out the opening of the cave into the darkness. It would be difficult for an enemy to sneak up on the cave, given the noise generated by walking on the pebbly beach.

[hr]
    There is one last surprise for the party. As everyone digs into their backpacks for the last of the rations, they discover cookies carefully wrapped in waxy paper at the bottom of the backpacks.

Thokk, Fizahn, and Linda find oatmeal cookies. The Elthans discover identical ginger snap cookies in their packs. The members of the other party discover chocolate chip cookies in their packs. The lizardman discovers an extremely unusual cookie in his pack - it appears to be two chocolate wafers with a sweet white creamy filling in between them.

There is no obvious explanation for the mysterious appearance of the cookies. Perhaps they were a side effect of the word of chaos spoken by Lumpy?

OOC: Cookies courtesy of Muzzleflash ...

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Reaching into his pack, Aeroz finds the cookie, and his mouth begins to water. He takes a chomp out of it and savours the taste of real food.

After finishing the morsel, Aeroz poses the question:

"What in the infinite layers of the abyss did you say Lumpy? Cause whatever it is, do not say it again. I've been infected with filth fever, petrified, polymorphed and forced to stay gods know how long in the underdark, and now I end up temporarily deaf. I dont know what else that damn word does, and I dont intend to find out."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

4. - Top - End - #424
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra looks thoroughly confused by the appearence of the cookie in her bag. Maybe it's the weeks in the Underdark, or maybe it's the cookies' sudden appearence, but she seems highly suspicious and holds up the sugary treat, unwilling to eat it.
    And then they made me their cheif.

5. - Top - End - #425

Aeroz finds the cookie delicious.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa squeals with delight upon discovering her cookie, gloom temporarily forgotten. "COOKIEEE! Great good gods, real food! But what's this brown stuff?" A tiny taste of one of the odd dark-brown bits proves them to be extremely unusual, but delicious like nothing Lissa has ever tasted. Humming a jaunty drinking song, Lissa pulls out a waterskin and savors her treat slowly, evidently having no qualms about eating a chaos-produced cookie. As she did before Lumpy's accidental gem activation, she offers Trinark some of her water.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*In Disbelif...*
    "Oatmeal? Ach, this be interestin....

OOC: Aww, fight didnt finish. O well, Thokk was as a slight disadvangate, its probally for the better.

Just a random note....
    I actually had a +1 to hit Lumpy, due to I hate Orcs. Wouldnt make any differnt, but o well

Good fight Drake

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Companion

Trinark observes the rest of the group munching away at their cookies. In a very deliberate fashion, Trinark lays out the cookies on the paper. He breaks each of the cookies into 4 equal quarters. He takes his time eating only 2 of the quarters, he then carefully rewraps the cookies and stores them carefully back in his backpack.

When he glaces up and sees the quizzical looks from the group, he explains in Draconic: "I have been in many situations before where this much food had to last me for a tenday or more. It has become second nature to conserve as much as possible."

9. - Top - End - #429

Darius

"These little things... they seems like tiny chips... apparently of processed cocoa beans... interesting... I think I'll call them chocolate chips. Delicious!" he says, shoving the entire thing into his mouth at once, spraying crumbs everywhere. Once he's done he picks up and eats the crumbs from the ground, taking a bit of sand in the process.

Darius my good man, you are a bloody genius.

((I think Darius slowly losing his sanity will be quite fun to roleplay... :)))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc flicks a glance at Aeroz, the sligtest bit of incredulity crossing his features, "Oh, sure, the word was-" He stops deliberately short, pausing a moment to let it settle in, "Ya sure ya wanna know?"

He seems pleased to find the cookie, but packs it away resolutely.

It'll be better in the morning, when I'm REALLY hungry.

11. - Top - End - #431

Lizardkin Druid
    Curiosity more than hunger prompts the druid to unwrap the waxy bundle. He is intrigued to find strange rations in the shape of perfect circles in them. He sniffs them only to find a strange new odour and on noting a thin white layer of paste inside, gingerly peels the black sides to reveal the white paste.

He then obeys the sudden compulsion to lick the paste.

The explosion on his tongue causes him to shiver uncontrollably and make unintelligble noises of clear enjoyment. He smiles beautifically at the others around him causing many shocked looks and a few of surprised amusement.

He stares sadly at the plain black husks before popping them into his mouth, enjoying the grainy sweet taste.
    .....mmmm...why do I feel that I should dip them into something first...?
    He keeps the rest for the morning.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

12. - Top - End - #432

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at his cookies suspiciously. There's no possible way these could be here short of magic. Could they be poisoned? As he's thinking about the cookies, he feels the sharp pangs of hunger. He finishes fishing the last of his rations out of his pack. I'll save them for a later time when I'm completely out of rations. Fizahn finishes eating and tries to argue or compromise his way into first or final watch before going to bed.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Seeing nothing happen to the others who eat their cookies, Sheyra shrugs and begins munching on hers. It tastes fantastic, especially after eating nothing but dried mushrooms for days.
    And then they made me their cheif.

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Durf
    Darius
    Those on guard will make sure to watch eachother as well as all the party members. Watch one will go to Aeroz and Elthan. Watch two goes to Sheyra, and Elthan II. The third watch will be taken by Achkby and the Lizardman. The fourth by Lissa and Linda. The fifth by Fizahn and Lumpy. The sixth, Hajih and Thokk. The seventh, the drow and me. Yes, I know it's not the wisest of ideas, but I'm willing to give it a shot, either the drow takes a watch or someone else has to take two."
    Fizahn switches watches with Trinark since Trinark and Lumpy are able to converse in Undercommon.

Aeroz and Elthan are first on watch. The others lie down in a circle around the softly glowing everburning torch and eventually fall asleep. Everyone seems to be avoiding the walls as much as possible just in case ...

Aeroz and Elthan don't have much to say to each other. Eventually they give up trying to make conversation and just stare out at the faintly glowing waves breaking on the shore. The dull roar of the Sea is hypnotic, and Elthan feels his eyelids growing heavy.

Toward the end of their watch, both Aeroz and Elthan prick up their ears. They've both heard some faint crunching on the rocks outside. They stare intently into the darkness, but are unable to see any movement ...

15. - Top - End - #435

(OOC: Npc Elthan or me Elthan?. I'll assume its me since they arn't talking that much.)

*Elthan peers curiosly at the cookie, contiplating where it may have manifested from. Shperes of chaos are not exactly known for spawing cookies. He conserves his for later, letting his Ioun stone's effect satisfy his hunger. He takes the first watch with Aeroz.*

*As the crumbling sound is heard, Elthan whispers to Aeroz.*
    "We should wake one of the others who can see in this darkness to identify objects for those less fortunate. I'd suggest a simple light spell if it would not give us away."
    "Go get one of our dark-adapted fellows. I'll stay here and shout if anything pops up."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

16. - Top - End - #436

Trinark is sitting crosslegged by the torch in light meditation. When he is gently nudged, he opens his pale blue eyes and follows Aeroz to the opening of the cave.

He peers out, noting a flicker of movement. Or was that just his imagination?

Another clatter can be heard from a different direction, but when the three of you look over that way, once again nothing can be seen.

Someone or something seems to be playing some kind of game ...

17. - Top - End - #437

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Now, I'm not one to trust drow, but I do need your knowledge of this place. Any ideas?" Aeroz whispers as he draws the two daggers hidden in his sleeves and hunches in a ready position.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Companion

Trinark barely whispers to Aeroz in Elven to wake Lumpy quietly. He then whispers to Elthan to watch from the left of the entrance to the center, while he watches from the right to the center. This is until Lumpy comes forward or until something happens outside the cave.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

(Assuming someone does wake him up)

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

The orc wakes, looking fairly annoyed at the disturbance, but he brings himself to alertness with fair alacrity, one hand grasping for his flail even as the other wipes crusted blood from his still tender nose. He heads over to the cave entrance, his brown eyes peering into the darkness beyond, "Yeah, yeah, what's the problem?"

To Trinark, "What's this all about?"

20. - Top - End - #440

Pretty much nothing happens for the rest of the shift. Lumpy, Aeroz, Trinark, and Elthan II stare into the darkness until their eyeballs hurt, but there are no further noises and no visible movement.

Yawning, Lumpy goes back to sleep. Elthan retires after reporting the noises to Elthan. Aeroz and Trinark slip into trances while Sheyra and the other Elthan take their places for the next watch.

It isn't more than a couple of hours into their shift when more scratching can be heard. A few tiny pebbles fall into the cave opening from above. Sheyra and Elthan are instantly alert ...

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

The snor-or-or-rk... snor-or-or-rk of a soundly sleeping Lissa has been serenading the watch... until now. The snores fall silent, and Elthan can see Lissa tossing and turning in her bedroll. Both of the watch can just hear her mumbling indistinctly. Then the mumbles turn into clearly spoken words for a few moments. "...spiders... aaaugh... off..."

Unfortunately, gnomes speak Gnomish in their sleep. The tone is distinctly unhappy, though.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

Thokk is sleeping quite comfortably, loving being 'underground.' For a dwarf, he seems to be snoring quite lightly, perhaps because he is in unfriendly terratory. He also seems to be talking in his sleep, something he always does but a little more distinct this time, instead of the usual curses and threats.

"Ach, how did......Eth.......That?.....Mages.....SNORT"

23. - Top - End - #443

Darius

Darius suddenly shoots upright from his sleeping bag, a flaming arrow notched to bow so fast it seems it has appeared out of nowhere.

"Why don't you die you bastards!? Die!"

His face is pale and sweating, and he looks from party member to party member, pointing his arrow at each one before a pebble lands near him.

You're getting crazy, boy... keep your head on your shoulders!

"What's going on? Who's up there?"
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

24. - Top - End - #444

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin's eyes snap open when Darius yells. They flicker into focus immediately and rest on Sheyra. He remains otherwise motionless and calmly takes in the agitation of the pinkskins.

He recognises the fear.
    The fear of the hunted
    His eyes shift back to the sleeping 'hoo-man' hatchling, recalling the words of his vision.
    Protect her...She is the key
    His clawed hands stiffened as he prepared to defend her.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

25. - Top - End - #445

Darius' outburst wakes up the rest of the party.

Elthan puts his finger to his lips, then points upward.

Faint scrabbling can be heard. Then all is silent again.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy starts, but by the time he's fully come to, the scrabbling is done. He glares around tiredly, already halfway up on his feet, flail in hand, then slumps back down onto his bedroll.

He rolls over, away from Darius, muttering, "I swear ta Shandakal, the next person ta wake me up before my shift is really gonna have ta worry about dying tonight. His blustering eventually trails back off into restless sleep.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"SPIDERS!" With a gasp, Lissa sits up, looking around wildly. "Oh... no spiders. 'S a dream. Good." With a yawn, she burrows back into her bedroll and closes her eyes. In a few minutes, the snores start again.

Sno-or-or-rk... sno-or-or-rk...

28. - Top - End - #448
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, what in the blazes was the point of that lad?

*Upon hearing the noise*

'Ach, I hear that. Let me take a look, I can see better in the dark then the lot of you'

29. - Top - End - #449

Achkby, Halflfing Sorcerer

Achkby rolls over in his sleep, smiling broadly.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #450

Thokk and the lizardman peer outside the cave. Even with their dark sensitive eyes, nothing is visible. The clattering noise stop. "Maybe they're gone?" suggests Sheyra ...

The remainder of the watch passes without incident.

The lizardman wakes up Achkby for the next shift, and both pass the next hour or so without any interruptions.

At the appropriate time, the lizardman and Achkby awaken Linda and Lissa for their shift, then head for their bedrolls.

More time passes, and both Linda and Lissa are feeling bored and drowsy with that fuzzy feeling you get when you are awoken in the middle of the night and forced to do nothing but sit in silence staring into darkness.

After an hour or so, Linda begins to fidget and look uncomfortable.