New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra's eyes snap open and she jumps out of Sedryn's arms. "What happened?" she says in a panic, "Who are these people?"
    And then they made me their cheif.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardkin Druid

The lizard initially tenses when Elthan II aproaches but on hearing his offer softens his expression slightly.

He wordlessly continues beside Fizahn as Elthan II falls back.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

3. - Top - End - #33

Darius

"We don't really know, but they're not Drow... By the way, thanks for your help back there, We're going to get you healed the second we can stop."
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra rubs her head and moans a little. "Thanks," she says to Darius, "I think I need a nap. These must be those people with the light, then."
    And then they made me their cheif.

5. - Top - End - #35

Darius

"Yeah, apparently they saw you in some sort of vision, but that's not really important right now, let's get moving."

Darius will walk next to Sheyra to make sure that she's alright.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Human Ranger

"Well i'm sure glad you folk are freindly" Tipping his hat at Linda he smiles and says "Name's Hajih by the way, your humble guide to underground vistas of all types."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy moves up towards the front, alongside the the Lizardkin, finally hanging his flail back at his belt. He peers ahead with an exhausted sort of half-alertness, obviously more comfortable in the dark, than further back where the torches are. If anything, he seems less interested in leading the way for the sake of the others of his 'party', and more for the sheer fact of covering ground quickly.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling

Hearing Haji advertising himself again, Achkby calls out from the middle of the group, "Don't let him guide you anywhere. We took him on, and he got us all lost and then himself captured"

He is supposed to be our guide... but he seems to consider himself just another wanderer now, and we seem satisfied that he doesn't have a clue where we are. Hmph.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa pats Sheyra's leg sympathetically. "We really need to get out of here, Sheyra. Just hang on for a bit more." The diminutive rogue looks up at Darius. "Oh, the lizardfolk understands Common, by the way. I guess he just prefers to speak his own language. I'm going to get moving now, considering that I've got shorter legs than most of you. If you hear a scream, you'll know there's something nasty up ahead!" Lissa grins impishly, draws her crossbow, beckons to the quartet of dancing lights, and sets off down the tunnel at a jog.

(OOC: The dancing lights hover slightly ahead of Lissa until the spell runs out, at which time she'll retrieve her everburning torch.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

10. - Top - End - #40

Everyone agrees that the best thing to do is to move on quickly before more trouble arrives. Setting aside any animosity, the groups realize that there is strength in numbers and that working together seems the most likely way to assume everyone's survival.

Introductions are made along the way, and Sedryn, cleric of Lathander, moves among the injured, healing what wounds he can. Sedryn himself is pale and quiet, not his usual robust self. Perhaps the days in darkness under the surface, away from the gaze of the morning sun, have been hard on him ...

Thokk, the lizardman, and Lumpy put aside their mutual dislike for each other and act as a vanguard, leading the way ahead of the party, putting their darkvision to good use.

Thokk says little, but whenever "demons" are mentioned, his eyes harden with pain and anger. Lumpy says even less. His story is yet to be told.

Aeroz, Fizahn, and Lissa take turns moving ahead or covering the rear of the party (and in large passages, the flanks). Their eyes peer carefully into the darkness to be sure the party is not ambushed from the sides or the rear. Each bears a crossbow, loaded and ready to fire.

Those meeting Aeroz for the first time can't help noticing the beads of sweat of his forehead, the dark circles under his eyes, and the greenish, waxy pallor of his cheeks. He does not seem to be in an elf's usual state of good health, but he offers no explanation and no one is bold enough to ask.

The humans (Darius, Linda, Sedryn, Sheyra and Hajih) along with the two Elthans and Achkby make up the main party. They stay close to the light sources (two everburning torches). Darius' bow is ready in case anyone or anything makes it through the first line.

Elthan is particularly interested in Sheyra. Who is she? Why would she appear in the portal? Does she know who Sarloc was? (She doesn't.) Hajih is quite talkative, but he assures Linda and the Elthans that they have not encountered anyone who might have been Sethra. On the other hand, he observes, if Sethra can take other people's forms, then it might be hard to recognize him, hmm?

Sedryn is close-lipped about exactly why he and Aeroz have led their companions into the Underdark. It would appear that there were three women (assassins, Aeroz says) who have stolen something of value. Aeroz and Sedryn have vowed to track them down and recover the artifact. Sheyra expresses some ambivalence on this issue. The women had previously proven to be kind and helpful, she confides. Perhaps there is more to the story, she hopes.

The newly enlarged party moves quickly through the tunnels undisturbed. Occasional scurrying noises retreating in the distance suggest that no creature wants to disturb such a large, well-armed party. And despite the size of the group, you leave almost no tracks on the hard, dry stone. You take a countless number of left forks, then right forks, then left forks, until everyone feels assured that any pursuit has been lost in the labyrinthine tunnels.

After what seems like hours (or possible even a day), the path widens then opens into an enormous chamber, perhaps 200 yards in diameter and four stories in height. Water drips from its domed ceiling, and on the floor grows a miniature forest of luminescent fungi. After some quick scouting, it appears that there are two other small exits to the chamber (in addition to the large opening you just entered through), but the stadium-sized cavern appears to be easily defensible.

The good news is that if everyone sleeps in shifts, it seems like everyone will be able to get a full "night's" rest. For some, this will be the first chance to really rest in a week or more.

The bad news is that the 14 of you are now completely out of water. The food ration situation is only slightly better. The possibility of dying from thirst or hunger is becoming as real a threat as an attack from the drow ...

11. - Top - End - #41

Lizardkin Druid

Staying on the flanks and guarding the packmates and strangers gave the lizardkin little chance to interact with the others or listen to the conversations but the need of rest and temporary unity was impressed upon him.

On finding that water and food was limited in both parties, he resolved to forage in the cavern, particularly in the fungi below.

I will find food and water for my packmates and if there is enough, share with these strangers

Looking around at his surroundings..
    We must be very deep in the mountain...FEH!..Sethra cannot outrun this hunter..

He leaves the others in a group and goes to forage by himself, mentally attuning to the difference in the balance around him.

OOC: memorise new spells and Survival and knowledge nature checks as necessary. Cast guidance for one roll
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

12. - Top - End - #42

Darius, Human Fighter

"Lizard. I'll come with you." Darius will ask around the party, collecting waterskins. He'll bury the very bottoms of the waterskins in the dirt where he finds dripping water, and he lets them slowly fill. "Achkby, I suppose you can clean the stuff once we have it, right?"

I wonder if those fungi are edible... better not...
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

13. - Top - End - #43

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"I wouldn't touch any of the plantlife around here. You dont have a clue what it is." Aeroz comments as he wipes the sweat off of his forehead "So Hajh. Any brilliant ideas now?"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

14. - Top - End - #44

"Shining mushrooms don't seem too appetizing." Darius says, then he leans over and whispers something into Aeroz's ear with a grin, "Wonder what lizard tastes like."
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

15. - Top - End - #45

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Pheasant actually. Dont ask why I know though." Aeroz kids as he jabs Darius slightly with his elbow.

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

16. - Top - End - #46

Darius

"Well, I sure would love to have a pheasant right about now." Darius says with a little chuckle, wandering off in search of dripping water.

It's lizard season, hehe.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, I would like to be back in my caves with my family, but thats not going to happen now laddie, is it? So shut up, do your work, and go hunt yourself if ye be so blasted hungry"

OOC: How much HP and STR does Thokk have left?

18. - Top - End - #48

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Temper temper Mr. Dwarf. The last thing we need is the drow to find us killing each other. And besides, arguing uses up energy, and you look like you need to spare yours." Aeroz comments as he coughs a little.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Darius

Darius truns around at the dwarf's comment. "Consider yourself lucky you even have a family, dwarf... and I wouldn't tell others to do their work if I were sitting around on my arse doing nothing."
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #50

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Durf
    Darius, Human Fighter

"Achkby, I suppose you can clean the stuff once we have it, right?"
    "I believe so, yes."

If only we were still above ground. I would still have Jari with me, and he had plenty of food and water on him, always...

"Does anyone have any other suggestions for food?" he says, completely ignoring the argument with the dwarf.

Idiots, all of them. We can't afford to be arguing about nothings now.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

21. - Top - End - #51

Elthan II

*Elthan II goes over to Sedryn.*
    "If I remember correctly, among a divine agents Orisons include a prayer to create water. I would suggest preparing that spell tonight."

*Elthan then retrives from his bag one of the trail rations he still has left.*

(OOC: I'm sorry, I just have too much experiance being a cleric to forget that they have that spell.
    And DR could you be a bit more specific on how much food we have left and how much we heal and such?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, be quiet ye little laddie. You need to bring yer own rations. I got mine with me, but I supose you dont have any. Pah! Typical Halfling runt."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa glares at the arguers as she pulls a bedroll out of her pack (which looks far too flat to have held any such thing) and starts unrolling it. "If you can't be civil, keep your traps shut. Or you just may regret it come morning!" The gnome's normal sparkling cheerfulness seems to have finally run out, under the pressure of fatigue, combat, thirst, lack of bathing and bickering allies. {Baravar help me, if they don't shut up soon I'm going to put bat guano in their bedrolls after they've gone to sleep. Idiots.} She flops down on the bedroll, takes a pouch marked 'FOOD' out of her pack, then stuffs it back in with a sigh. "Only make me thirstier without water to wash it down." Lissa sets about wriggling out of her studded leather armor, revealing a sweat-stained shirt and breeches underneath.

The gnome stacks her armor and weapons up neatly, then rolls over to face Fizahn. Curiosity, it seems, has overcome fatigue for the moment. "So, Fizahn, where does your family come from? I don't think I remember you from Hidden Vale..."

(OOC: Remove armor. Lissa's weapons are within reach, and she'll have her everburning torch nearby until she goes to sleep- at which time she'll either put it in her pack or give it to one of the sentries. She can take any of the watches.)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daring Rogue

After what seems like hours (or possible even a day), the path widens then opens into an enormous chamber, perhaps 200 yards in diameter and four stories in height. Water drips from its domed ceiling, and on the floor grows a miniature forest of luminescent fungi. After some quick scouting, it appears that there are two other small exits to the chamber (in addition to the large opening you just entered through), but the stadium-sized cavern appears to be easily defensible.

"Ach, ill just help myself to some water. Ye surface dwellers might not have the consitituion for it, but if the water if boiled it should be safe to drink for those of you with less eherm, stanima"

*Goes over to where the water is dripping down, takes a tiny sip to test the water, and then drink it*

OOC: +9 Fort save on any funky diseases or poisions in the water

25. - Top - End - #55

Fizahn, gnome:

As the group stops to rest, Fizahn reaches into his pack. With a groan, he empties his pack, hurriedly going through his possessions. With a dismayed look, he starts muttering to himself. "No tent! I must have left it with that stupid horse! And I don't have a pony anymore either! No paper either! Why did I leave my rope with that stupid horse! At least I've still got my torch, food, and bedroll!"

Angrily, Fizahn pulls out his bedroll and his blanket. When he gets it set up, he looks at Lissa removing her armor. "I wouldn't risk sleeping without armor in the Underdark."

As Lissa asks about his past, Fizahn shrugs. "I might have been there once, my family moved around a lot, because my father wasn't exactly a perfect role model. I've been to a lot of places I don't know the names of. I'm originally from a small hamlet, at least that's where I was born. I don't even remember it's name anymore, or know if it still exists."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:04 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #56

Achkby, Halfling

Achkby comes over to the other short people (:/) and pulls out his bedroll, too.

"I grew up in a tiny town as well," he tells them as he begins to remove his armor. "Though I lived in the one place my whole childhood, I wasn't there all that long. I left less than a year after I came of age." He smiles wanly, and starts piling pieces of armor into his pack.

Scratch that, I don't speak Gnomish.

Achkby drags his bedroll out of his pack, too, and starts taking off his armor. Then, he pulls out his necessities and starts piling the armor on stop.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*To Fizahn*
    "Ha, little laddie, you arnt the only one without their mount. I have some rope with me if ye need it, but I dont think ye will be wantin a tent. We are all in a cavern, so sleepin under the stars aint an issue, and if we get attacked, I for one want to be able to get up as soon as possible"

*To Lissa*
    "I actually think taking off the armor is a decent idea. If you are in heavy armor, like my plate, ye will be quite sore in the morn. Fizahn, however, is in his little light pansy armor, so it dont bother him a whole lot"

OOC: Hey, any water at all is water right now. If it is dripping one drop every 5 seconds, then I have 12 mL of water in a minute, which equals 1.2 liters in an hour and twenty minutes. That is from a single spot. If there are several little spots with water pouring forth, it would be a good idea to get as many flasks as possible under them to collect water.

28. - Top - End - #58

Lizardkin Druid
    Away from the others, the druid examines the flora and fauna of his surroundings. The chatter of the others a dim buzz in the background punctuated by the constant drip of water.

Crumbling, bits of bracket fungi and sniffing it in one claw, thoughts of Sethra are replaced by thoughts of his tribe and people. The recent dramatic events making the idyll of his life that was disturbed seemingly a lifetime ago.

How deep below the tower am I?

He studies his surroundings with fascination. Some types of plants looking familiar. at least from one of his master's etched hides. Others totally alien to him.

The footsteps of a nearing pinkskin(Darius) break his thoughts and cause him to continue.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih carefully examines some of the fungus, to tell whether it is edible or not before drawing a large jug out of his back. "We may not have any water left, but feel free to help your self to the ale.

(Knowledge Nature check at +1 or Knowledge Dungeoneering at +7 which ever is applicable for examining the fungus)
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa smacks her forehead as she watches the dwarf gather water from the dripping ceiling. "I must be tired! Why didn't I think of that?" As she rummages in her pack, she responds to Fizahn and Thokk. "I may be in light armor, but it's not exactly restful to sleep in all the same. Besides which, if anything goes bump in the night I fully intend to stand back and give it a shot with ol' Betsy here." Lissa pats the stock of her loaded crossbow fondly, then peers into the pack with a cross expression. "Darn, I was sure I had a pot in here! Must've left it with Patch. Oh well, time to improvise..."

Within a few minutes, the ingenious rogue has cobbled together a water-collector out of a waterproofed winter cloak and several rocks. The rocks hold the cloak oiled-side-up into sort of a large bowl, while more rocks are placed to anchor the fabric and prevent it from slipping. The whole apparatus has been set up under one of the more frequent drips.

Lissa smiles, dusts her hands off, then yawns. "Gods, I'm tired. I'll take third watch. Whoever's taking this watch can use my torch, if they don't have a light of their own." She gestures to the purple everburning torch propped up against her pack. "Sleep well, everyone. Wake me when it's my watch." With that, she burrows into her bedroll and closes her eyes.

(OOC: Whee, water collector! It's up to DR how much it collects, I guess. Lissa is now drifting off to dreamland.)