New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy takes the lead, speeding up a bit given the ease of following the trail. He mutters softly at Trinarks use of Draconic, all the hissing and growling meaning little to him, Going to have to pick that one up someday.

The lizardman's spell seems to have restored some of his vigor, but after a while, he starts grumbling, one leg dragging a bit behind. He unslings Lissa's bag, rooting around in it, looking for any potions she might have.

((OOC:I'm still assuming I have her bag, since no one said anything contrary when I picked it up. Since it's a Handy Haversack, the potions should present themselves pretty readily. Lumpy would probably drink at least two (hopefully putting him over 20, I don't want to fight driders with 12 HP)))

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby translates, and, struggling to keep up just behind Lumpy, asks, "Can we slow down a bit? You're losing us short folks."
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

Fizahn takes the spot directly behind Lumpy. He holds his everburning torch hig. Whenever Lumpy needs him to, he goes forward to inspect or unlock doors. All the time during the march, he keeps muttering barely audible to himself in gnomish.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

4. - Top - End - #574

Aeroz

Aeroz takes Lumpy's left flank and keeps an ever vigilant eye for any signs of Lissa, the driders or any traps that may have been set.

[OOC: Trapfinding, search +4]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

5. - Top - End - #575
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Companion

Trinark will fall to the back of the group and use his darkvision to scan behind them. He will shout out immediately if he sees any enemies.

Trinark will take the time to load and ready the light crossbow Darius gave him earlier.

I vow that if I get out of this alive...

6. - Top - End - #576

Lumpy and Aeroz take the lead with Fizahn and Achkby directly behind them. The others take up positions in the middle of the party with Trinark bringing up the rear, holding Elthan's crossbow loaded and ready.

The hallways seem to be forming an inward spiral. The occasional open (or broken down) door reveals only debris strewn rooms with shattered furniture and broken glass. In haste, the party spends no time searching those chambers.

The trail eventually ends in an elaborately decorated pair of iron doors. The panels of the door depict the usual - torture, living sacrifices, assassinations, etc. Lolth is prominently featured on many of the panels. Trinark mutters something to himself under his breath.

The doors have been left ever so slightly ajar. Fizahn estimates that the chamber represents the center of the geometric spiral.

It seems obvious that the driders must be holed up inside the chamber, presumably with Lissa. Thanks to the light and the noise of eight adventurers on the move, no doubt the driders are already aware of the party's presence and have prepared some kind of ambush.

Fizahn listens at the door, but there is only a dead silence. Anticipation hangs thick in the air ...

7. - Top - End - #577
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Companion

Trinark whispers to Lumpy in Undercommon, "Lumpy, please translate to the group for me."

"Let me go in to the room first. I am the most expendable of this group and I have a score to settle with these Driders. If there is a trap, which is likely, let me take the hit. I am willing to bet they are not expecting me to be the first one in the room."

Trinark glances from face to face, waiting for an answer.

8. - Top - End - #578

Achkby is a bit surprised to hear the drow's translated offer, but nods his head.
    A brave man. Or, as they say, a desperate one. Though even desperation wouldn't send me blindly into a cave of enormous spider-creatures. He isn't really blind, I suppose, but that's beside the point. No knowing what could be in there. Besides the kidnappers, of course.

"As selfish as it is, I don't object... unless someone has a better plan. And I think that you should probably try to talk in the language of the dragons... I doubt the spidery creatures know it, though they likely know yours."
    "I said no, unless someone has a better plan... And no, Thokk, all of us charging in would probably not be a better plan."

(Edited because Thokk's not actually with us...)
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #579
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The stout orc offers an indifferent sort of half shrug, translating for Trinark, then responding in kind, "Do what you please, it's skin off your back and not mine. I'm charging in there at some point either way, whether or not you plan on going in first. Just be ready to get out of my way is all."

He turns his attention to the others, "I've got me a scor ta settle and an eye ta collect either way, and I fully intend to. Let him go first if he wants, but I'm going in right after"

10. - Top - End - #580

Fizahn:

Fizahn stares at the door, worriedly. He continues listen as the discussion is going on, hoping to hear some reaction to the party's talking. He looks at the door for a few more seconds, wondering what he should do. He quietly sneaks over to the party and looks at them. "I don't see any other way to save Lissa. One of us is going to have to go in there. Trinark is the best choice because he's drow and can see. I'm another good choice, because I'm short and stealthy. The only problem with me going in is my torch."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:45 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

11. - Top - End - #581

Darius

"Then let the bodies hit the floor." Darius says with a grim smile. Standing behind Trinark he whips out his bow and waits for the door to open.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

12. - Top - End - #582

Trinark looks remarkably composed as he hefts Elthan's light crossbow and prepares to charge into the chamber alone.

Lumpy and Fizahn stand to either side of the doorway and pull the heavy iron doors open enough for the drow to slip through.

Almost immediately, there is the twang of Trinark firing his crossbow, then a hiss as the opening between the two doors is webbed.

The webbing is thick enough that no one is able to see or hear exactly what befalls Trinark ...

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy takes half a step back involuntarily, "Damn, good thing we sent him in first."

The squat orc shrugs, "Well, no sense giving them enough time ta eat him too." Stepping back, up he tries to grab a few handfuls of the webbing and tear at it.

((str check to try and burst through the webbing))

14. - Top - End - #584

Aeroz

"Wait. I have a better idea. Fizhan, would you be so kind as to light this pile of goo on fire with that torch of yours?"

Aeroz grip's Sedryn's holy symbol and prays silently to whatever deity may be listening that Lissa is safe and that he gets the Kris and shoves it in one of the assasin's faces for making his life so difficult.

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

15. - Top - End - #585

"Excellent plan, as long as Trinark isn't caught in the webs," says Achkby faintly.

"And while we're doing that... does anyone happen to have any way to heal a poor, injured halfling? I'm feeling a bit woozy..."

[OOC]My math finally caught up to me. 7/20 HP :-/[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #586

Aeroz

Aeroz reaches into his backpack and pulls out a slender vial with a tealish liquid in it.

"Here. I only have a few and I'm saving them for an emergency, but we need a mage, so here."

[OOC: Potion of CLW]

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #587

Achkby downs Aeroz's potion with gratitude, feeling immediately fortified for the battle ahead. Meanwhile, Linda casts mage armor on herself.

Fizahn's everburning torch generates no heat and is therefore unable to burn the webs, but Darius has a solution ...

"Stand back!" he commands, then he fires two burning arrows into the opening between the doors. With a FWOOM!, the webs are incinerated, leaving a dark and foreboding opening.

There are no sounds to indicate the fates of Trinark or Lissa ...

18. - Top - End - #588

Achkby, Halflfing Sorcerer

"Thank you. I owe you one."
    And you owe me 300 gold.

Achkby casts a simple spell for light, and directs the glowing balls into the chamber ahead. He raises up his lit wand for more light, as well.

[OOC]Dancing Lights[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

19. - Top - End - #589

Darius

"A good ol' fashion arrow'll do the trick for anything."

And kill anyone, don't get carried away. Why not? What's there to lose? Your sanity, for one. But maybe that's already gone. We'll just have to see.

Darius kicks the door open as hard as can, cackling.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #590

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks for a second at the opening. What happened to Trinark and Lissa? Fizahn strains his eyes into the darkness for a second more. I hope they're all right. He grabs his crossbow, and fires a shot off blindly into the opening. I really hope that doesn't hit them.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

21. - Top - End - #591

Fizahn fires a crossbow bolt into the dark chamber, then Darius kicks the doors with all of his might, slamming them shut with a BOOM! that echoes loudly.

Sheepishly, Darius reaches forward and pulls the doors open ...

[hr]
    Lumpy leads the charge into the chamber, followed by the remaining members of the party. All eight of you skid to a stop on a ledge just within the doors.

Achkby's dancing lights illuminate a giant cylindrical shaft, 120 ft in diameter. The shaft extends upward indefinitely into the darkness. The effect is dizzying and disorienting. The shaft also plunges downward at least 60 ft or so. Jagged rocks line the bottom of the shaft. Flashes of metal or occasional white bone down below reveal that the fall has been fatal for others before you.

Narrow stone bridges, approximately 5 ft wide, span the diameter of the shaft at irregular intervals above you, creating the illusion of a network of webbing filling the space within the shaft.

There is a suspended platform in the center of the chamber with some kind of intricately carved stone throne directly across from the iron doors. A 10 ft wide bridge leads across to the throne. Three other bridges extend from the throne to the left, right, and behind the throne. Essentially the throne is suspended on a horizontal cross of stone in the center of the vertical tunnel.

There is a dessicated corpse sitting on the throne. It is recognizable as a drow female, still wearing robes marking her of high station. A large dark-purple crystalline amulet glitters on her breast. Several other skeletons, less well preserved, lie scattered at the foot of the throne.

One drider stands on the bridge in front of the throne. It is holding Trinark, who has been disarmed and webbed, in front of him as a shield. Trinark is conscious, but looks weakened. The drider drags him toward the throne, keeping Trinark between itself and the party.

A second drider dangles from one of the narrow stone bridges 10 ft above you. He carries a small bundle in his arms, holding it threateningly over the rocks 70 ft below. The bundle wriggles as Lissa manages to work her mouth free of the webbing.

Lumpy and Darius stand shoulder to shoulder. Sheyra and Aeroz flank them to the left, while Fizahn and Elthan flank them to the right. The front six form a defensive semicircle, protecting Achkby and Linda standing behind them.

There is movement along the stone bridges above. Numerous monstrous spiders creep along the suspended stone "webs", jockeying for position.

OOC: Lissa and Trinark are conscious but weakened and webbed.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy Half-Orc Warrior

((OOC: Out of curiousity, which Drider is the claw drider? Lumpy's really got it out for that one))

The broad orc glances about rapidly, his darkvision drinking up the gist of the scene around him rapidly. He wrings his hands onthe haft his flail, evoking a satisfying squeal of a solid grip on the polished wood.

He spares a quick glance backwards, "Hope one'a ya's got a plan fer catching the gnome, I'm only good fer the spiders."

He begins to advance along the central bridge, towards the drider with Trinark, his throaty growl switching smoothly into bellowing undercommon, "If I were you, I'd be a lot less concerned about using him as a shield, and a lot more concerned about concentrating on fighting me." With a twist of his wrist, he rattles the chain on his flail, "It's up to you."

((OOC: The throne would be 60 ft in, right? If so, Lumpy will double-move 40 ft across the bridge. And this can't end good))

23. - Top - End - #593

Aeroz

"Lumpy, take this, put it on and say AXELAKA. It'll get you Airborn. If you can distract the drider holding Lissa, I got a plan. Just don't try to move sideways. It doesn't work too well."

Aeroz tosses the magic bracelet to Thokk. He also draws a strange sky blue vial.

"Darius. Fire at the thing holding Lissa and make sure that you hit every damn time. The rest of you try and get the drow free."

Aeroz drinks the liquid from the vial and begins to rise. Begins to slowly move under where the drider holding his friend happens to be.

[OOC: BWAHA!!! I knew that potion of fly would come into handy sometime!!!]

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594

Thokk's not with us, sadly...

Achkby makes a sudden motion toawrds the hanging Drider, but checks himself.
    What if it drops her?

Seeing others, though, move into action, he decides to aid the assault however he can. "We're ending it here," he announces grimly.

He begins a sibilant, draconic chant, making large, circular gestures with his small hands. A purple ray goes weaving off at the drider clutching the Drow. Easiest target...

[OOC]Ray of Enfeeblement @ Trinark's Drider. Ranged Touch @ +5[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

25. - Top - End - #595

Darius

Darius realizes his mistake a little too late, but enters with his head bowed in prayer. "...And though my enemies strive against me, Tyr guide my arrows straight and true."

He turns and nods to Aeroz before finishing his prayer.

"Amen."

Two flaming arrows tear through the darkness up towards the drider holding Lissa.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

26. - Top - End - #596

Lumpy catches the bracelet Aeroz tosses to him.

The claw drider backs up until it has reached the throne. It drops Trinark there and scuttles around to the back of the throne as Lumpy strides across the bridge. The drider ducks behind the stone throne as Achkby's ray narrowly misses him.

With soft thumps, two spiders drop in front of Lumpy while two others drop behind him, cutting him off from the rest of the party.

Lumpy is a blur spinning his body and whirling his flail as the spiders pounce viciously from all directions. Fangs pierce Lumpy's neck and arm, but he throws the spiders off before they can inject him with their venom.

[hr]
    Linda screams as she is webbed from behind. Turning, Sheyra sees a second spider dropping down behind the party. Without hesitation, she continues to turn, dropping her head as her heel spirals outward in a hooking motion, kicking the spider in midair and sending it spinning outward into empty space.

[hr]
    Darius misses with his first shot, but then adjusts his aim and strikes the skull drider with a flaming arrow. The drider is almost knocked off of the stone beam and drops Lissa who plummets, screaming, toward the rocks below.

Taking a running start, Aeroz tosses aside the empty vial, swallows the blue potion, and leaps into the void, attempting to catch Lissa as they both drop downward out of sight ...

OOC: Lumpy takes 7 damage. Skull drider takes 12 damage.

27. - Top - End - #597

Darius

"Thanks for getting rid of your cover, buddy!" Darius calls, mumbling a lightning quick prayer while launching another two.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

28. - Top - End - #598
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc's face contorts in primeival rage as the drider runs, drawing his flail up in a tighter defense, even as he tries to hamemr at one of the spider between him and the throne.

He roars again, his undercommon rapidly degrading into a furious rumble, "You damned coward! Get back out here!"

((Use expertise to put his AC up to 22, attack on of the spiders in front of him at +6))

29. - Top - End - #599
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra stays behind on the bridge to protect the casters from any more spiders.
    And then they made me their cheif.

30. - Top - End - #600

"Thanks, Sheyra" grunts Achkby from between gritted teeth as he sights down the end of his wand.

A few quick motions and a short phrase send two red orbs whirling from its end, weaving between spider legs before slamming into the one next to Lumpy's target.

The halfling shuffles over to Sheyra, and then glances around. He sees the hanging Drider suspended without Lissa, and then remember's Aeroz's flying dive... "NNoooooooo!" he screams in Halfling. He twists around wildly, hoping for something he can do to save Lissa, but can't find anything.
    His head slumps down for a moment, but then he looks up again, glaring at the two Driders. "You..."

[OOC]Discharge 1 Magic Missile for 2 missiles (1d4+1 each) aimed at the spider barring Lumpy's way which he does not attack (unless Achby goes first, then just pick one). Then he'll move next to Sheyra. What color would we be using for Halfling?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE