New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Lumpy Tichkeck, Half-Orc Warrior

Despite his obvious fatigue, Lumpy seems to have a difficult time settling down as the party stops. He circles the cavern a little, inspecting the exits, as well as the fungus, before finally trying to locate a water-drip of his own to settle down by. Untying a clay mug from his pack. he sets it up to collect water for himself. He'll try to forage some himself while the small-folk settle down to rest, as likely for the chance to keep an eye on things than for the chance to actually find some food.

The degree of seperation from the rest of his 'party' becomes more evident, as he seems to keep a wary eye on them as much as the exits.

(OOC Lumpy will join some of the others in trying to scrounge up something edible, with +7 Survival. He'll probably remove his armor and try to sleep some when the next shift comes up, since it looks to me like all the short-folk have already settled down)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Linda frowns when she realises there's hardly any food left but smiles when the others mention the lack of water.

I can create water myself-a few gallons of it actually. Bring your waterskins here and I'll fill them up. I am still worried about the food though-there is a clerical spell to create provisions of that kind but it is not within my powers.

Linda fills any waterskins the group brings her (up to 3 castings of create water) and then trails off to sleep, still tired from the battle with the Bebilith and less used than the others in long marches and prolonged fights.

Wake me up when it is my turn to stand guard-though I must say I am not a very competent one.

She unfolds her bedroll and lies down near the lights, dozing off after a short while...

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra drinks the last few drops from her waterskin, then hands it to Linda for refilling. "Thank you," she says once it's full, "I'd find a drip, but I don't know if my body could take another poisoning."

She sets up her bedroll and sits down on it. "I can take watch whenever we need it," she says.
    And then they made me their cheif.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach. ye be missing some good minerals in this water! Fortifies ye, and helps brew a potent ale"

*Sets out three flasks under the drips, and hads Liddia fill up his waterskin*

"Ach, I have a little energy left, Ill take the first watch and keep ye all safe"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

With the soft glow from the giant fungi and the steady, soothing dripping of water from the ceiling, the chamber is almost pleasant to be in. One by one, you take turns getting some much needed rest.

The untreated water dripping from the ceiling tastes metallic and vaguely sulfurous. Although Thokk appears to suffer no ill effects from drinking it, the rest of you wisely decide to stick with the pure, cool water that Linda provides.

Sedryn purifies the water collected by Lissa and Darius, which further replenishes the party's shared reservoir of drinking water.

The lizardman wanders into the fungus forest in the center of this vast cavern. As he moves deeper among the mushrooms, they become larger and larger until, by the time he reaches the center, he is able to stand fully erect under the softly glowing fungus canopy. There is a kind of alien beauty to the fungus forest. The lizardman sits down, closes his eyes, and meditates ...

Hajih takes a long draught of ale, then begins examining the glowing fungus carefully. Holding aloft a crumbled, softly glowing piece of mushroom, he pronounces the fungus safe to eat. He looks around expectantly to see if anyone is willing to put his judgement to the test ...

Elthan I and Achkby spend some time discussing arcana and dragon lore. When Achkby admires the black dragon scale Elthan I shows him, Elthan I gives it to him as a gift. "Please consider this a gesture of goodwill and friendship ..."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Getting Ready to Sleep, taking off the plate mail*

"Ach, ye all be pansies not drinkin the water. it will put hair on your chests, I tell ye!. Ah, it feels good to take off this plate. Methinks its the first time in a good week! Bah! I smell like a Orc! I gotta clean myself up a little..."

*Takes off armor, washes it and polishes it as he can with the water from the celing, cleans sword, mends what armor he can, and goes to sleep*

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Warrior

Lumpy finally tires of wandering the room, (and just plain tires in general), retrieving his little cup and moving closer to the others as the shift changes. He drinks the water quickly, before throwing down his pack and beginning the arduous process of dissassembling his armor. From the looks of it, this is probably very literally the first time it has come of in a week or more. Beneath all the plate, mail, and underpadding he is as stout and lopsided as he looked without it.

Finally unclothed, save for a simple pair of breeches, he settles down with a big chunk of soap from his pack, and does the best he can to clean off himself, as well as his armor and clothing. When he's finished what he can with the limited water of the drips, he hefts the soap aloft, "Any'a ya want some?" In a surprising act of generosity, he will break of a chunk for anyone who takes him up on it, before unrolling his bedroll, and falling asleep easily.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, that be the first time ive seen soap in a long while. And ye actually smell decent! A first time for everything, I guess. Glacen't Depeter to you, laddie

OOC: BTW, Green or Black is Common
    Blue is Dwarfen
    Orange will be Gnome
    Purple will be Undercommon
    Brown will be Terran
    Red will be goblin

9. - Top - End - #69

Achkby, Halfling

Achkby gratefully takes the water from Linda, but doesn't drink much. He uses his final casting of Prestidigitation to clean himself and his possessions before settling down. He considers offering to clean others, too, but quickly decided that it might be invasive.

He eventually moves his things over to Elthan I, and talks with him at length about their similar interests. He is honored to recieve the black scale, though he confesses that he admires the blues the most. "They have the whole skies as their dominon," he explains.
    He watches the lizardfolk remove his armor, and remarks, "You know, It's remarkable how similar some species still are to the dragons. You friend there is pretty draconic himself. It's sort of marvelous."

And I almost envy him.

After a while, the conversation wanders from the dragons to Arcana in general, and Achkby finally musters his courage to ask Elthan I the nature of the similarity between he and Elthan II.
    "So, how are you and the other Elthan so similar?" he inquires. "Ar eyou merely twins, or is there something more linking the two of you?"
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

"Sure." Darius says. "I could use a bit of soap."

Ooh, soap, quite the treat.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnomish rogue

Linda's offer of water awakens the half-asleep rogue, and she gratefully takes her waterskins to be filled. Now that she has water, Lissa takes out a bag of rations and sits on her bedroll to eat and drink. "Ahh... we are in your debt, Linda! It's so good not to be thirsty anymore!" Mindful of the still-limited water supply, Lissa is careful to drink sparingly.

"Good idea, Lumpy! A sponge bath is better than no bath. Thanks for the offer, but I've got my own soap." Lissa pulls a bar of pink soap and a rag out of her bag, and heads into the fungi to find a somewhat private spot to strip and wash, using as much of the drip-water on the floor and as little of the water in her waterskin as possible. She manages to wash her body, but Lissa's long hair is beyond the help of a sponge bath.

The gnome emerges freshly scrubbed and smelling of roses, except for her still-oily hair. "Much better! Now I won't stink up my bedroll. Sleep well, people. Wake me up for third watch." With that, Lissa settles into her bedroll once more... but she looks very interested in Achkby's question to the Elthans.

(OOC: I'm assuming that the water creation took place shortly after Lissa went to bed, so she wouldn't have fallen completely asleep yet. She won't fall asleep this time until one of the Elthans answers Achkby.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

12. - Top - End - #72

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"I'll take a bath after we get out of here. I prefer having drinking water to a clean smell. Besides, it gives me something else to look foreward to after we get out of this hellhole."

Aeroz passes the time by having casual conversations with the newcomers to the party, and by practicing his swordfighting technique. With all of the spare time, he has nothing better to do.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by HempRope
    After a while, the conversation wanders from the dragons to Arcana in general, and Achkby finally musters his courage to ask Elthan I the nature of the similarity between he and Elthan II.

"So, how are you and the other Elthan so similar?" he inquires. "Are you merely twins, or is there something more linking the two of you?"
    "I suppose that we are twins after a fashion. Actually, it might be more accurate to describe the other Elthan as my clone or my doppleganger. He was created by ancient magicks evoked by Linda's mentor, an old man named Oden Homm. I must say that no one, least of all myself, expected the magick to be so successful and durable!

"Sometimes, however, I must confess that I can not remember which of us was the original, so similar is the other Elthan to me in almost every way ..."

Once most of the party has had a chance to rest (and in some cases, bathe), it is time to take stock of the food and water situation.

When everyone's resources have been pooled (though Thokk grumbles about having to share), there are 20 days worth of standard rations plus 6 days worth of "little people" rations. These must be shared among 11 "large" and 3 "small" members of the party. With some stretching, the rations should last 2 to 3 more days.

Amongst the entire group, there are 10 full-sized waterskins, and 4 small waterskins. Thanks to Linda's magic and the various creative ways of collecting water proposed by the party members, all of the skins are full. With strict rationing, the water will likely last a maximum of two days.

The situation could be worse, however, and with the entire party well-rested, there is a general feeling of optimism that had been sorely missing for several days now.

The party is gearing back up, preparing to continue its search for the Glimmersea, trying to decide which of the two small passages to take. Both lead downwards, hopefully toward the Sea, but both seem equally nondescript otherwise.

Sedryn mentions how odd it was not to have been disturbed for such a long period of time. One would think that a life-sustaining oasis such as this one would be occupied by someone or something ...

No sooner are the words out of his mouth than a faint chittering reaches your ears. The noises seem to be coming from back the way you came, and they seem to be getting louder ...

14. - Top - End - #74

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz's sword and dagger flash out as he begins to look around the oaisis, trying to find anything that could be causing the noise. If he finds nothing immediatley, he will keep his eyes on entrance to the cavern.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy mutters a few choice curses in orcish, settling the last of his plate into place with a few metallic clicks. HIs unsavory utterings shift back to common after a bit, his voice no less harsh with rest, though he does seem to be in a much better mood, considering, "Right then.. time ta get moving." He rummages through his purse for a gold coin, glancing between the two 'exits', "Leave it ta Windrider."

With that, he flips the coin, catching it and squinting at the results. He then glances at one of the passages, indicating it with a wave of his arm, "That one."

He pauses only a moment longer, growling softly, "Thanks fer the Helping Hand.." before tossing the coin over his shoulder and heading in that direction.

(OOC: DR, if you'd rather flip a coin yourself, go for it. I put heads to left and tails to right, and came up with left. It certainly doesn't have to represent any influence from Shaundakal, Lumpy just likes to choose things randomly.)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnomish rogue

Fortunately, Lissa donned her gray studded leather immediately upon waking up, and has already packed her gear in preparation for travel. She lets loose with several pungent curses in Gnome, shoving her everburning torch into her belt and swinging her light crossbow into firing position. The rogue turns to cover the entrance that the chittering is coming from, then begins slowly moving backward. "I think that's our cue to get moving, folks."

(OOC: Draw loaded crossbow and move toward center of cavern. Cover chittering tunnel, if that's allowed while moving. [No, I don't have my PH handy.])

(OOC 2: Oops! Thanks, Erikkin. I fixed it.)

17. - Top - End - #77

Fizahn, gnome:

"Right, chance is good enough for me. This way everyone!" Fizahn shouts. Fizahn then imitates Lissa by sticking his torch into his belt, and pulls out his crossbow. He slowly follows Lumpy into the cave, watching for whatever is making the chittering noise.

OOC: Phasm, the chittering's coming from the big tunnel we came from, not either of the little tunnels, so there are two tunnels you could go through.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:06 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, lads, I dont think running be our best option right now! We are rested for the first time in a long while, and we can take out anything that comes our way. Lets take them all out!"

OOC: Defensive area guys, only one tunnel with baddies comming out of. Not that hard to have me and lumpy block off the entrance and everyone else sit in the back launching spells and arrows. As long as a healer is behind me and Lumpy healing often, we should be fine.

19. - Top - End - #79

Darius

Darius walks to Thokk's side, slightly behind him.

"You're right. Whatever that is, it can probably outrun us. Besides, I've been eager to make something in the Underdark into a pincushion for quite some time now." he says, unslinging his bow from his back.

Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #80

Lumpy, Lissa, and Fizahn make for the leftward exit to the cavern. Looking back, they see Thokk and Darius standing at the main entrance of the cavern (20 ft wide and high) preparing to make a stand.

Thokk stands behind his shield, with his bastard sword freshly polished and sharpened. Darius stands to Thokk's left and readies his bow; the tip of his arrow bursts into flame as he nocks it ...

Aeroz stands off to Thokk's right. His rapier and main-gauche are drawn and ready. Rest seems to have done the elf some good. He looks less peaked than he had previously.

The chittering noises continue to become louder and louder. By the sound of things, there might be a large number of creatures headed this way. Five? Fifteen? Five hundred? It's impossible to say ...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"HAHAHA! Today laddies, will be a good day for slaughter. Destorying my foes of the underdark, THAT is a true warriors way to die!"

"I prepare the alter for you!'

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Warrior

The squat orc turns, watching Thokk and the others set up to make a stand. He pauses, looking torn between making a clean break, and the prospect of fighting. Finally, he scowls, turning to rejoin the others. He offers Thokk a mild glare as he sidles up into position next to him, " I swear, if whatever that is ends up eating us all.. Hope the rest'a yer body's as thick as yer head."

Though he speaks harshly, his body language hardly mirrors his words, as he almost excitedly prepares for a fight. He unhooks his flail in a practiced, if graceless maneuver, raising it to ward his chest against whatever's coming.

I bet they walk on the ceiling, or fly, or something.

23. - Top - End - #83

Achkby, Halfling

The armored Achkby scampers across the cavern to seize his spear from beside his bedroll, and moves over to stand behing the warriors, staying a good twenty feet behind them.
    "I would flee, but I am here with you, friends. We shall triumph no matter what we face!" he cries.

Then he mutters grimly to Elthan I, "Well... if something too gruseome comes, I am gone, but I don't see that happening to day."

We must fight like dragons, with both strength and cunning.

"Hlal, grant me your favor and protection."

He casts a spell, and conjures a field of force to protect him.

"Are you well guarded?" he asks the Elthans, reflexively dropping back into Common as he levels his spear at the dark corridor.

[OOC]
    Casting Mage Armor.
    AC 18
    HP 14
    [/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

24. - Top - End - #84
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra sighs at the thought of battle, but drops into a fighting stance anyway.
    And then they made me their cheif.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnomish rogue

Seeing her companions make a stand, Lissa scowls darkly and heads back in their direction... though not too far. Just enough to get a clear shot into the large tunnel opening. She mutters to herself in her native language. {I am surrounded by idiots with more muscle than sense. Baravar, Callarduran, please shield and guide us, for we sorely need Your help!}

With that, Lissa ***** her crossbow and aims for the large corridor.

(OOC: Move to get a clear shot into the tunnel opening and cover it.)

26. - Top - End - #86

Fizahn, gnome:

"Damned fighters, always thinking with their muscle! Just because there's someone to fight, doesn't mean you have to fight them! They don't even know what it is! It could just be a stupid beast!" Fizahn mutters these things to Lissa, but angrily turns around to face the oncoming threat. Moving parallel to Lissa, he too arms his crossbow, and prepares to fire it.

OOC: Moving up with Lissa, and trying to find a spot where he can get a clear shot. Also readying a shoot action.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:07 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, little ones! I have plenty of sense, lass, I just choose not to use it! Whatever we are fighting, its in my domain. Twill be a worthy death, and an enjoyable one too!"

"LETS GET READY"

"If ye be greenskins, I suggest ye stop now!"

"If ye be anything that goes bump in the night, prepare to be destroyed!'

OOC: HAHA, I know alot! Purple is now abyssal, because undercommon and terran are no more, at least not right now. Maybe next level...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih reaches back and strokes the hawk resting on his backpack. "Tell me if you see anything" he whispers to the avian predator as it takes flight. Hajih flashes a smile to his new companions before swinging a large crossbow from its hook on his backpack.

I don't like where this is heading, not one bit

(One of Hajih's hawk's two tricks, it will make a noise if it spots anything)
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa double-takes as Thokk responds in her language. "Great good gods! You speak Gnome? How come you didn't say anything before?" She adds on to this in a low mutter. "And as far as I'm concerned, the only good way to die is in my sleep, as a rich old lady with lots of adoring great-grandchildren catering to my whims."

(OOC: OK, I'm succumbing to peer pressure ;)
    Purple = Common
    Orange = Gnome
    Red = Draconic
    I realized how much easier the color-coding makes following conversations between posts.)

(OOC 2: Draconic color changed to red, since somebody in the OOC thread made a good point about that being the first color used.)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: Just one thing...
    We may want to decide universally on a color per language. It will make things much easier to see. One color per language, and then regular black for actions and OOC comments. Right now it seems like we are all using Orange for Gnomish, we just need to define the others. I think it will help play alot.