New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Elthan II

*Elthan's snake crawls off his arm and makes his own way down with gracefull ease. Elthan looks down to see it curled up at he bottom.*

*Elthan takes the braclet from lumpy before he heads down.*

"Fizahn, Achkby, would you two like a ride down? I think we're light enough to all go down with it."

(OOC: saving the day, one pit-fall at a time. Seriously, if anyone failes more than one before, thiers not much chance of making it. Darn d4 hit-die..)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #902

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby gives Elthan a thin-lipped smile and nods quickly. "Yes. That sounds like an excellent idea. But, ah... let's stay close to the rope and the wall just in case."

Oh, Gods, here we go. Hlal grant me strength...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #903

When tied together, Lissa's hemp rope and Sheyra's silk rope dangle almost to the beach, but the last 20 feet or so require the use of the handholds alone.

Despite a few close calls, no one is badly injured. Only Djital totally loses his grip, falling just at the end of the climb. He is left temporarily winded but embarrassed more than injured.

When the last few members of the party float down, bringing the rope down with them, everyone takes a moment to repack their belongings and don any armor that had been removed.

The party crouches behind some large rocks at the base of the cliff, peering into the gloom. Despite the relative "brightness" of the "outdoors", it is still the Underdark after all. The everburning torches are stowed for the moment, so as not to attract any unwanted attention.

The semicircular cove is much larger at ground level than it had appeared from 100 feet above. There is at least 200 feet of open ground to cover before reaching the pier. Visible as a dark linear shadow against the glittering Sea of Starry Night, the pier appears to extend roughly a hundred feet into the water before ending in a simple dock - essentially a number of enormous boulders shaped and fitted so as to create an open 40 x 40 ft landing.

[hr]
    There are no lights or sounds that would suggest that a boat is moored at the dock. Rather than waiting out in the open, the party decides to stay hidden for the moment.

Hours pass and stomachs grumble. There is little to do but sit and wait and listen to the lapping waves of the Glimmersea. Eventually some of you doze off, while others keep watch for any sign of the ferry ...

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, now featured as avatar!

Once the party is (more or less) safely down and gathered at the end of the dock, Lissa conjures her quartet of dancing lights to better see any approaching vessels. As the group settles down to wait, the gnome sighs and fingers her new holy symbol. I can't put this off any more. If I do, there's a good chance I'll end up like Sedryn. She moves to a position where she can see everyone at once.

"All right, people. I've got a spell to cast... and hopefully it'll shed some light on certain events." Lissa's expression turns hard. "I'm finishing what Sedryn started." With that, she touches the medallion with one hand and begins chanting in Celestial. "Baravar, reveal any evil within my sight!"

OOC: Casting detect evil! Oh yeah, and she used her dancing lights racial ability before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

5. - Top - End - #905
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy sets up his own little spot to camp in, laying out his bedroll and setting down his pack. He leaves his armor off, wearing only his simply woven pants, belted by a short length of rope. The orc's thick form shows signs of building malnourishment ribs standing out more strongly, even beneath layers of muscle and scar. His face is tired and drawn, and despite the determined glint still hiding in his eye, there's little dispute he's growing tired of starving in the underdark.

For while he takes up Darius's sword, pacing out practice routines with the relatviely unfamiliar weapon, keeping silent but for the occasional grunt and the heavy *smack* of his bare feet against rocks. But spirit willing or not, he eventually lays the weapon down, saving what little strength he still has left.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

Fizahn stalks around the camp. He continually mutters to himself about the lack of food and loot lost because of the ooze. When he finds out that there isn't a ferry at the dock, he gets even angrier. He goes to the dock every hour to check for it. As Lissa announces that she's going to continue what Sedryn started, Fizahn morbidly mutters, "Hope it turns out better for you than it did for him..."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 08:09 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

7. - Top - End - #907

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"I'd be careful with those lights, Lissa," Achkby says slowly. "We might want to keep a low profile. No knowing what else might be around here."

He slinks wearily away from most of the party, and has a brief conversation with Elthan I. Then he closes his eyes, and eventually drifts off to sleep.

He floats up, above the rocks, and spreads his arms. He waves them once, and with a woosh climbs upward. And then it is not his arms that he flaps, but scaly black wings. He pumps them harder, and sails out above the Sea, twisting in circles to gain height. He cranes his neck back to see the little figures that are his friends huddled on the shore. He pauses for a moment, suspended in the air, and surveys the mighty cavern. The sky still stretches away above him, and he sees a little boat moving slowly on the far side of the sea.
    He dives down towards the water, skimming just above it, and there are many strange creatures lurking under its smooth surface. A black, reptilian reflection races along behind him in the water, until he reaches down with his fingers and sends sheets of water splashing off to the side as he drags them across the amorphous mirror beneath him.
    Then he twists away, up, and circles for height, making wide, sweeping arcs to climb towards the stars. He reaches the craggy rock of the ceiling, dotted with the occasional star, and pauses once again. The he dips a bit, and glides back up, strafing along just below the ceiling as fast as he can. His keen eyes pick out a fissure ahead, and he swoops up into it. The climb is hard, but there is a glow at the top that he can just barely make out.
    It gets brighter and brighter and brighter the higher he goes, and eventually he shoots up through the whole into the real world. And there is light.

Achkby smiles.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

8. - Top - End - #908

To be continued in The Sea of Starry Night II ...