New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Thokk

"TO THE FORGE WITH YOU!!!!"

*Thokk rushes into combat, charging and if possible, performing a diving charge off the terrace. Hoo-Rah, projectile Dwarf*

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Damn that darkness!" cries Achkby, enraged as the first Drider vanishes in shadows.

Seeing Lissa thrwo a Tanglefoot Bag, he yells down to her, "You can't web spiders, Lissa! It just won't work!"

Then, he begins a long, involved chanting of draconic phrases, that ends with a few harsh, crackling words. He flings his arm down, aimed at the visible Drider, and a bolt of electricity shoots down at it.

[OOC]Casting Melf's Acid Arrow, modified by Energy Substitution: Electricity. Ranged Touch attack @ +5[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #213

A shadowy mist appears, obscuring the "claw" drider and snuffing out the four braziers arranged around the altar, plunging the entire cavern into darkness. Only some indirect light from one of the tunnels provides a modicum of shadowy illumination.

In the chaos, Aeroz and Fizahn slip out from within the cloud of darkness. Both find themselves crouched under a small ledge about 30 ft from the altar.

Within the sphere of darkness, Sheyra tumbles toward the claw drider and (using instinct more than her eyes) delivers a rising kick into its midsection. Just in the nick of time, she rolls away, avoiding Lumpy, who swings wildly but manages to smash the drider with his flail. Sedryn's voice is audible as he chants a prayer to Lathander, calling on the Morning Lord to bless his allies.

Standing outside of the radius of the darkness effect, Elthan II casts a summoning spell, and in the twinkling of an eye, a mighty 3 ft tall orange-skinned goblin appears. The goblin waves its javelin menacingly.

Up on the higher terraces, the "skull" drider spots Lissa down below. Licking its lips, the drider scrambles toward the small gnome, only to be deflected by the lizardman who hisses as his claws scrape against the drider's tough carapace.

Thokk throws aside his bow and draws his sword as he charges the skull drider. With a flying leap, he chops at the drider who manages to take the blow on one of its spider-like legs.

With practiced grace, Darius nocks and fires a burning arrow at the skull drider. The arrow misses, but briefly illuminates the drider as it streaks past. Darius corrects his aim and sends his second arrow straight into the drider's back. The beast screams in rage and spins around, its legs scrabbling for purchase.

Achkby sends his own projectile at the drider, but the darkness spoils his aim and the electric bolt sizzles harmlessly off into the blackness.

Down below, Lissa winds up then hurls a tanglefoot bag at the skull drider and watches with satisfaction as the drider becomes covered in thick gooey strands that begin to harden almost immediately.

OOC: Combat summary ...

Claw drider creates darkness. There is shadowy illumination within the 20 ft radius of the spell-like effect, but those within the darkness can not be seen by those outside the effect. Due to the suppression of the braziers, there is only shadowy illumination in the rest of the cavern as well. Due to concealment, there is a 20% miss chance for all attacks.

Sheyra tumbles with a 29 (20+9) and hits with a 19 (15+4) for 9 (8+1) damage.

Lumpy hits with an 18 (8+10) for 13 (7+6) damage.

Aeroz and Fizahn successfully tumble out of the darkness.

Sedryn casts bless. Elthan II "summons" a goblin.

Skull drider moves 30 ft towards Lissa.

Lizardman misses with a 14 (11+3).

Darius misses with a 10 (2+8) but hits with a 23 (15+8) for 14 (8+4+2) damage.

Achkby's "electric" arrow would have hit with a 16 (11+5), but misses due to concealment.

Thokk charges and hits with a 28 (16+10+2) for 7 (1+6) damage.

Lissa hits the skull drider with the tanglefoot bag with a 13 (17 - 4 range penalty). The skull drider is entangled, but it makes its reflex save with a 20 (18+4 - 2 DEX penalty) and is not completely immobilized.

Current HP

Claw drider: 18 (40 - 9 - 13)
    Skull drider: 24 (45 - 14 - 7), entangled

Awaiting actions for skull drider, Linda, and Hajih ...

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius, Human Fighter

Darius cackles, notching another two flaming arrows and firing them at the same drider.

((Hehehe, round two!))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Drider

"Nasssty little creatures! Jussssst lay down and diesss! Right here and nowss!) This wasn't going well, it was hurt, couldn't move all that well now and worse yet, almost none of them were close enough to kill. Hateful eyes narrow more as it attempted to drop darkness down on itself, even still feeling the gooey mess of the tanglefoot bag glueing it to the floor.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the spider things approach, Linda is a bit slow to react. When she does though, she sidesteps to avoid the darkness and casts one of her newest spells-one she has never tried before. A burst of snow-something never seen in the Underdark except through the use of magic-strikes at the two driders. Her voice takes a harsh, menacing tone and appears to be more of a demon's roar than the language of a human.
    Go back to the nothingness that awaits you and your mistress!

OOC: Sinillock's Snowball Swarm, taking in both driders if possible but no party members. The red color is for Abyssal-I always wanted to quote Olorin ;D

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

7. - Top - End - #217

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz sheathes both his weapons and draws his crossbow. He begins to look for any sign of trouble, drow or drider. If he sees one, he will fire.

[OOC: Listen +2, Spot +2, Search +7; One thing does bug me though (No pun intended), why do driders talk like Gollum?
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE"

*Thokk hefts his sword again and swings away*

OOC: Wow, minimum damage. Thats pretty bad*

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa laughs triumphantly as her tanglefoot bag hits home. "Hahaha! Who's laughing now, freakshow?" Reaching into her handy haversack again, she comes up with an everburning torch this time and drops it on the ground next to her. The magical purple flame clearly illuminates the enraged, entangled drider. Lissa carefully aims her crossbow, grinning. "Try some of this on for size, spiderbreath!" TWANG!

(OOC: Retrieve everburning torch, drop it, and fire crossbow at the tangled drider.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

10. - Top - End - #220

Hajih stands frozen with fear, "Dr-dr-dr-iders!" he stutters over and over again ...

As Linda casts her spell, the air around the skull drider chills noticably as chunks of snow and ice swarm around the monster. Thokk and the lizardman are caught in the icy cold blast as well as the drider.

The drider crouches down and creates a field of darkness of its own. Simultaneously, the dancing lights in the tunnel go out leaving much of the cavern in total darkness.

When Lissa brings out her everburning torch, only shadowy forms can be seen within the two different areas of magical darkness.

OOC: Linda fails to overcome the drider's spell resistance with a 15 (10+5). Thokk takes 8 damage and the lizardman takes 11 damage from Linda's snowball swarm. The drider creates darkness, thus ending round 1.

11. - Top - End - #221

Elthan II

*Eltahn stands behind his goblin in the darkness and begins to cast a spell. He tries to find the largest figure in the in the room, reasoning that those should be the driders.*

(OOC: Ready to Cast Blindness at the largest creature he can see. If anything visibly has more than two legs, he's going for that.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

12. - Top - End - #222

I wish I had realised that I couldn't see, and had made that a Seeking Spell rather than an Electric one. :-/ That'll teach me to post before my foes.

"Dammit! I can't see any of them now! Infernal magics!

Then, he begins conjuring up more magic, but simpler this time, and merely hold it at the ready rather than shooting it down at his concealed foes. He grits his teeth, and mutters, "May Brandobaris lend me the fortune to strike..."

[OOC]Ready action to shoot a Lesser Sonic Orb, modified by 'Seeking Spell' at the first Drider that appears from the Darkness.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

13. - Top - End - #223

Fizahn, gnome:

Fizahn springs up from his crouch. He immediately grabs his dagger and torch. Seeing that the driders aren't near him, he drops back into his crouch, scanning the darkness restlessly.

OOC: Draw weapon and get torch. Fight defensively too.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra rolls out of the ball of darkness and waits for one of the driders to show itself.

Ready an action to attack.
    And then they made me their cheif.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

The orc growls triumphantly as his blow connects, and he prepares for a second. Vaguely, aware that someone else is fighting the drider, though it's difficult for him to tell who, he aims high, a warning gritted between his fangs, "If ya got less than eight legs, I'd duck."

[OOC: If the drider goes before him and moves, he'll try to pursue it as best he can instead, double-moving if he has to, or attacking if he doesn't.]

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

The gnome swears as another darkness spell dims the effect of her torch considerably. Well, I'd best take my chances and shoot anyway. Tanglefoot goo doesn't last all that long. Lissa squints into the darkness, sighting along her crossbow at the tangled drider, whispering a brief prayer to the gnomish gods of thievery and the Underdark. "Baravar, Callarduran, please guide my aim!" With that, she shoots.

17. - Top - End - #227

There is a clatter within the darkness around the altar as the braziers are knocked over. With alarming speed, the cloud of darkness makes a beeline toward Achkby, Elthan II, and Lissa, swallowing up Lissa's everburning torch. The cavern is plunged into total darkness.

Darius' and Lissa's missiles are already on their way toward the skull drider. They are unable to see whether they hit or not, but a satisfying hiss of pain suggests that at least one of them managed to wound the beast.

"Ach, it's trying to get away!" Thokk cries out as he and the lizardman slash blindly at the drider. Both manage to land blows (hopefully not on each other) but then their target seems to vanish as if the drider dissolved into thin air ...

Fizahn whips out his everburning torch, re-illuminating the central area. The claw drider is revealed as it crouches behind the altar. Lumpy leaps over the drow chained to the stone and smashes the drider with his flail.

As soon as Aeroz realizes that the claw drider is not in the darkness, he fires his crossbow at it but is disappointed when the bolt glances off of the altar instead. Elthan II also recognizes the drider's ruse and, turning his attention away from the darkness, casts a spell on the monster, blinding it.

OOC: Round 2 begins ...

Claw drider knocks over the braziers and throws the stone imbued with darkness toward Lissa, Elthan II, and Achkby, creating total darkness.

Darius misses twice. Lissa hits for 4 damage.

Skull drider levitates to the ceiling 20 ft away, triggering AOO from Thokk and the lizardman. Thokk hits for 9 damage. The lizardman hits for 4 damage.

Fizahn recovers his everburning torch. Aeroz misses with a 14. Lumpy hits with a 23 for 10 points of damage.

Elthan II blinds the claw drider, defeating its spell resistance with a 23.

Current HP

claw drider: 8 (18 - 10)
    skull drider: 7 (24 - 17)
    Thokk: 43 (51 - 8)
    lizardman: 16 (27 - 11)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa bends down within the cloud of darkness, feeling around for her torch. Everburning torch in hand (although nonfunctional at the moment), she races in the opposite direction from the darkness cloud's origin, hoping she's near an edge. Ooh, I hope that drider hasn't broken free of the tanglefoot yet! I'm a sitting duck in this magical darkness!

(OOC: Recover torch and beat feet! 5-foot step, if nothing else.)

19. - Top - End - #229

Lizardkin Druid
    The numbing chill was dissipating finally.
    Warmblooded fools..Semuanya..don't they know how badly cold affects us

The blind slash connected with something as the hairy pinkskin yelled that the prey was escaping.

Snarling in frustration and clenching his teeth to overcome the chill, Ssathiyaa draws his other barbed dart and flings it with all his strength

Blessed Balance take you!

OOC: Move action to draw dart and attack action to throw.Subsequently will climb up the terraces and leap for the drider. .. He's not letting it escape!My shield is slung across my back so My AC is lower by 2.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Random dwarfen curses, relating to telling the drider his mother was an orc and his father was a duguer"

*What else would Thokk do? He charges the Claw and intends to kill it*

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

With all of that confounding darkness cleared up, Lumpy presses on against the claw drider, seeming to take some degree of enjoyment in getting the chance to finish it before the dwarf closes in.

(OOC: Just keep hitting the thing until it stops moving. hopefully even it it tries to run, I can finish it with an AoO)

22. - Top - End - #232

[OOC]Two questions:
    1. Is Achkby in the new darkness (he's still up on the platforms on the walls)?
    2. Did Achkby launch his spell at the revelaed Drider?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

23. - Top - End - #233

Darius

Darius will fire another two flaming arrows at the revealed drider.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

24. - Top - End - #234

Elthan II

*In the darkness, Elthan moves his staff to parry any blow thrown at him.*

(OOC: Full defensive.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

25. - Top - End - #235

The claw drider shakes its head and blinks its eyes in a futile attempt to clear its vision as it scrambles backward until it collides with the ledge behind it.

It leans forward and flattens its arachnid body, squeezing backward into a crevice. As suddenly as it appeared, it is gone.

Lumpy chases after the drider, but opts against following the drider into the crevice.

Lissa retrieves her everburning torch, and in short order the cavern is secure. The two driders have been driven off with no significant injury to the party members (except for a minor "friendly fire" incident).

Elthan I checks on Hajih to make sure that he pulls himself together. Darius keeps an arrow nocked and scans the ceiling to be sure that no other surprises drop from above.

Everyone else stands down, but remains on guard for any additional "interruptions" while Fizahn and Lumpy return their attention to the captive drow who remains only semi-conscious.

26. - Top - End - #236

Lizardkin Druid

Dropping off the wall, the lizardkin snarls loudly. His ire clearly shown that the two aberrations had escaped.

Seeing the others about to free the fallen dr-ow, he shakes his battle-lust off and exclaims:

"Wait. The altar is tainted with magic. It must be cleansed!"
    He pushes past others to stand before the altar and study it

OOC: My druid's interested in finding out how to disable the pulsing altar. Not sure if my Det Magic is still active, Should last 10 rounds since casted. Maybe Elthan or Linda can study and disable it. Roll Knowledge: Nature if i need to
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

27. - Top - End - #237

"I don't like it," Achkby says loudly. He seems louder than he thought in the quiet that remains after the Driders' departure.
    "They could come back at any time..."
    He hunkers down on the platform he's been standing on, and looks all around the room, half hoping to find his foes, half hoping that they've gone.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

28. - Top - End - #238

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Achby, Linda, Elthan, Elthan? Could you scorch that crevace? It wont necessarily kill that thing, but it could severely injure him."

Aeroz keps his crossbow at ready. Hhe loads another bolt and aims at the crevace.

[OOC: Readying to fire at the drider if it rears it's head.]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"NOW do you understand why I said to kill the drow when we had a chance? By Moradins beard, ye are daft, lass"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

"You know, you don't HAVE to insult people with every sentence," Sheyra says in response, "And as far as I could tell, we were doing alright against those things." She walks towards the drow. "Besides, I don't think killing him would have stopped the driders from coming."
    And then they made me their cheif.