New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Elthan II

"Scorch the crevice? Do you think I'm just some fire-spouting maniac? It is already severly injured and is not likly to come back for a while. If we can collapse the way it went, we would must assuredly delay it if it where to follow us."

*Elthan walks over to the altar.*

"Lets get the man off of it and destroy it. I wouldn't like to think of anyone else being sacraficed here."

(OOC: I have a plan to collapse the crevice. If we put a crack above it, pour some water and use Chill Touch, we can erode it by ice-wedgeing causing it to collapse. Thokk can make a cut above it and then I can cast the spell. Can this be done DR?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Now that the battle-rush has worn off, Lissa starts shaking and sits down abruptly. "Aaaagh! Giant ants weren't enough, oh no no no. We had to get cursed giant spider-things right after! Ohhh, gods... what I wouldn't give for a drink right now!" She buries her face in her hands, and one can see her taking deep breaths. After a bit, the diminutive rogue gets up. Lissa still isn't looking very happy, but at least now she looks functional. She heads over to the altar. "Well, back to work."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lass, I had a tankard of ale back on me warhorse, and if I had it I would offer ye a mug. Alas, I do not know where 'Hammer went. I hope my horse is doing good."

*Sniff*

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

Darius whistles a little tune, scanning the area with his bow.

((OOC Ready action to attack anything that moves is a threatening way (the drow, returning driders, other stuff)))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

5. - Top - End - #245

Fizahn, gnome:

"Well Lissa, you know that spiders are arachnids, while ants are insects, so I'd say that you've got two different phobias instead of one." Fizahn shuts up as he sees Lissa glaring at him. Looking back down at the manacle, he searches for his dropped lock pick. Unable to find it, he withdraws another one from his kit and gets back to business.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:18 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Indeed, Lissa is glaring daggers at the other gnome. "They're creepy, they're crawly, they have far too many legs, and they're too big to be properly squished under a boot. Giant ants or giant spiders, they're all giant bugs to me!" She eventually finds her lockpick and turns to Thokk. "Thanks for the thought, Thokk. I worry about my riding dog, Patch, too... I wish he could've come." Sighing momentarily, she continues. "But he probably wouldn't like it here. I hope he's doing well back in Velprintalar." Lissa holds her torch high, scanning the cavern for any more signs of trouble.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Linda frowns again as she nears Thokk:
    Look, our worldviews are different but this does not mean we have to insult eachother. If most people here want to free the drow, we will do so. If most people here want to kill him, so be it-I will pose no further objections. But until we decide, stop whining and stand still so I can heal you. Whining never helped anyone and sure won't help in our situation.

OOC: Cure light wounds on Thokk and the Lizardman for 1d8+5 points of healing.
    [Edited out upon seeing DR's last post.]

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Thank ye lassie, I dont have anything against ye, ye are at least making some sense. They are just saying free the evil bugger without any reason."[/color]

9. - Top - End - #249

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler
    Quote Originally Posted by King_of_Griffins
    Elthan II
    "Scorch the crevice? Do you think I'm just some fire-spouting maniac? It is already severly injured and is not likly to come back for a while. If we can collapse the way it went, we would must assuredly delay it if it where to follow us."
    "Tell me, how do you know it wont come back? If we aren't gonna kill it, if you insist on taking the drow, take him, and lets get out of here. I really don't like this place at all, and I would like to be getting to Teflamm as soon as possible"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

10. - Top - End - #250

Elthan II

*Elthan turns to Aeroz.*

"Aeroz, it is not that I am suggesting that they will not come back, but that I that the best course of action is not to set the cavern alight. A fire spell with radius would torch us all, sucking up the air in the process leaving a vacumm of space without air chocking those not burned to death. If I may suggest, that if the crevice is not too high, Thokk may be able to simply cut the rock above it and cause it to cave-in on itself."

*He turns back to the prisoner and waits.*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

11. - Top - End - #251

Fizahn unshackles the drow, who continues to mumble deliriously. Sliding him off the altar, Sedryn begins to pray over his body, asking Lathander to begin to heal his wounds.

Elthan joins Elthan and the lizardman in examining the altar itself. The altar is a simple slab of stone, but as they stare at the altar, they begin to feel slightly dizzy. The stone seems to almost drink in the torchlight, leaving the flat slab as black as the Abyss.

Elthan argues against Elthan's idea of destroying the altar. "It would take too long and who knows what evil magic we might unleash if we tamper with it?"

Instead, the Elthans sacrifice a skin's worth of precious water, alternately pouring the water into a crack above the drider's crevice, then freezing it until the rock shatters with a thunderous crack, sealing that particular passage, at least for now.

That leaves at least 10 other passages to consider exiting from. The passage that the party entered through and the one the drow party exited from are ruled out. Hajih (who apologizes for freezing up in the battle) begins checking them out, looking for a promising exit.

The drow begins to come around ...

12. - Top - End - #252

Elthan II

*Elthan see's the drow come around.*
    *In Elvin*
    "Drow, do you know for what reason you where straped to that alter."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy Tichkeck, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy rattles his flail, clearly irritated about having lost 'his' drider as well, but he eventually returns to the altar, scraping the spiked heads of the weapon clean. He watches the rogues work at setting the drow free, though despite Thokk's assertions otherwise, he looks fully ready to brain the drow with his weapon should it try anything rash. If no one has any luck commicating with the drow, he tries to do so in undercommon.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drow Prisoner

The Drow lies on the floor of the cavern, still occasionally twitching. As Sedryn continues to pray over him, he begins to calm somewhat.

With his eyes still closed, he continues to murmur in Undercommon, "The path, follow the path...find the way out...always moving..."

He pulls his arms tight in to his chest, and begins to shiver. The fever that formerly possessed him seems to fade.

[OOC: I'm baaa-aaack! ;)]

15. - Top - End - #255

Sweet. Mad props to DR. (bonus XP, bonus XP, bonus XP...)

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby slowly descends the platforms onto the floor of the cavern. He is so preoccupied with jumping down and intermittently scanning the walls, that he doesn't notice the waking Drow at all. He joins the Elthans and the lizardfolk around the altar, and says in Draconic, "So... do we think that it's magical? It certainly looks to have some power, though it might just be a trick of the light..."
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Having come over to see the awakened drow (or at least, somewhat awakened drow), Lissa looks down at him with an expression of concern. He doesn't look too good, and this is after Sedryn's healing! Those kobold-spawn must have really worked him over. Aloud, she asks, "Do any of you tall-folk have a spare cloak? It's cold down here, and this guy still doesn't look all that healthy. And I don't know about you, but I want to get going. No telling when those spider-things will be back with all their friends." She shivers momentarily at the thought, then turns to the anti-drow contingent- Thokk, Lumpy and Aeroz, at the moment. "If you people really think this drow is a threat in his current condition, we can always tie his hands. But somebody who knows the local language had best explain what we're doing to him."

17. - Top - End - #257

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin is disappointed when the twin magic-users decide that it would take too long to do some thing about the stone.

Seeing them use up a waterskin prompts him to refill it it wordlessly with a simple spell that creates water to refill the skin and any others who may need it.

When the smallest pinkskin with a spear xomes beside him and asks if the altar is magical he replies,noticing his aversion to arcane magic was greater than his neutral feelings to pinkskins,
    "YESs! sSemuanya forgive me for not being more attuned to the balance. I cannot purify or destroy thiss rock. A sshaman could eassily bless ssome water and weaken it."
    He looks frustrated. He tries digging below the bottom of the stone testing the hardness of the ground.
    He looks at Achkby,"sSpear-wielder, is there ssome way we could collapse thiss cave ass we leave?"

"Ssethra did not ssend those unnatural things?"

His shoulders seem to sag with a returned weight.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy scowls half-heartedly at Lissa, "It's called being cautious. I thought ya knew all about it."

He shrugs afterr a moment, responding to the drow in kind. His undercommon seems more precise than his common, though he still lends a noticible slow drawl to his speech, "Yeah, yeah, a path. Great, swell. If I could offer you some advice, though? Drow who habitually ignore people aren't going to live a great deal longer, so get with it."

19. - Top - End - #259

Sedryn holds up a hand. "Patience, my friend. I have stabilized his vital signs, but he is still delirious. Give me a little bit more time." Sedryn continues to lay hands on the drow's chest. The scourge marks and bruises begin to noticably fade. The drow's gaze becomes more focused as his head clears ...

Meanwhile, Elthan notices something on the ground, near where the claw drider escaped. "Sir Lumpy, I believe that you may have hurt that drider more than you know!" He points out a small uncut gem lying on the ground. "I believe that you might have knocked one of the monster's eyes (well, a false eye at least) right out of its head!"

Elthan studies it with interest as it lies on the floor. "Hmm. It is definitely magical, but I can't seem to get a fix on the aura. It seems to be ever-changing. I sense abjuration, evocation, and enchantment all at once!"

Elthan picks up the gem to toss it at Lumpy, but as he does so, it appears to burn him on contact. Elthan gasps as he throws the gem, grabbing his arm immediately afterward and falling to one knee. The uncut black gem sails through the air. Lumpy catches it reflexively in one hand, looking at Elthan with curiosity. The gem causes Lumpy no harm.

OOC: bhdrake was right. Lumpy was denied an AOO that would have killed the drider. In the place of a dead drider, I offer this magic gem.

20. - Top - End - #260

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Seeing the passageway sealed, and the drow coming too, Aeroz shifts his attention over to the dark elf. He puts away his crossbow and switches to two of his daggers.

"So, are we gonna take him out of here before his sisters get back?"

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

21. - Top - End - #261

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby is a bt taken aback by the vehemence of the lizardfolk's response, and shies away from him a bit at first.
    But that's no way to behave. You have to assert yourself...
    But then he straightens up and moves closer to the druid.
    Semuyana must be his diety. I'd love to learn about him, but this is not the time.
    Then, trying to emulate the dialect of the first natural speaker of the tongue of the dragons that he as ever met, he slowly muses to the lizardfolk, "So you say that the altar is cursed? Hmmm... that's worth looking at.
    Give me a moment before I think about collapsing the cave... but I don't know if we want to... it might send the rest of this underground hell crashing down on our heads, too.
    But about this--
    " he finishes, gesturing to the altar.
    "Hmmm."

Then he casts a quick spell, uning himself to the other magics in the cavern.

[OOC]Detect Magic, if you please. :-/[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

22. - Top - End - #262

"Good morning... er... whatever the hell it is." Darius says to the drow in Common.

Why does everybody have to speak in all this damn gibberish, Speak Common or die! Darius jokes around in his head.

Darius turns to Sedryn. "I'll carry 'im if he won't get up. I suggest we leave this place as soon as possible. The altar is none of our concern."

(OOC: DR, how many cool twists are you gonna hurl into this game? It's so cool. By the way, is anyone a SOAD fan? If not, you probably won't get Darius' thoughts)
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Spotting Elthan's adventure with the magic gem- and the fact that Lumpy is unhurt by it- Lissa immediately trots over, an expression of great interest on her face. "Ooh, a magic gem! Wow, Lumpy, congratulations!" Interest quickly turns to wariness, though, as she notes the gem's black color... and remembers it's origin. "Um, if I were you, though, I'd have somebody check it for curses. It did come out of that dirty big spider-thing..." Her nose wrinkles at the memory, and she turns to watch the drow. "Let me know when you've got the message across to this guy that we're tying his hands. I've got a coil of rope in my pack that should do the job."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drow Prisoner

Upon receiving more healing, the Drow opens his eyes and sits up. Seeing a Half-Orc towering over him, he brings his hands up defensively.

"Hold! Hold!", he rasps in Undercommon. Noticing (Lumpy) brandishing a flail, he speaks quickly. "If you will stay your weapon, and give me some water I will answer your questions."

He quickly looks around him, noticing the rest of the group for the first time. Lolths own luck! From one captor to another...

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc squints at the gem for a while, then shrugs, something to be sorted out later. He growls a low response to Lissa, "I ain't no spider, but I wouldn't stick a cursed rock inta my eye if I were."

Stuffing the stone into his belt pouch, he glances back at the Drow, switching easily to undercommon, "Fair warning, they're tying you up. I'd keep the sudden moves to a minimum, or I might have to disassociate your head with the rest of your body. We'll work out the questioning bit later." Despite the obvious threat, he does lower his weapon slightly.

He waves his hand towards Lissa, "There, he's warned. All yers. He says he'll answer questions fer water, but we can walk and work that out all at once."

26. - Top - End - #266

Lizardkin Druid

Squatting just before the rock and digging around it, the druid feels a pang at the loss of what could have been a trail to his prey.

Once more this Sethra eludes me..

He pauses to look at Sheyra.

He will come..for this one..

His mind shifts to the lives at stake.

Semuanya.. hear my call.. let the people know the pinkskin are not their enemy... let them know their enemy is hunted..that their watcher has not deserted them
    He blinks as he realises he had stopped examining the rock and the flloor for physical weaknesses and continues to dig around, ignoring the others clustering around the blackskin. the drow.
    Run Sethra..run into the deepest caves..Death stalks you through me.
    The expression on his face is grim but a worry seems to be lifted.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

27. - Top - End - #267

Achkby and the lizardman continue to examine the altar closely. Both are able to perceive the invisible magical pulsations, but once the drow has been removed from the slab of darkstone, the pulsations gradually fade. They conclude that the radiation was some kind of automatic beacon to call the driders when a sacrifice was left on the altar.

Lissa cuts off a length of hemp rope and uses it to tie the drow's wrists together. Sedryn gently wraps a rough woolen blanket around the drow's shivering shoulders.

Sedryn looks tired, but he promises to evaluate the drow for the taint of evil after he has a chance to pray for more spells. "Come to think of it, there might be other evil souls in the party that ought to be unmasked," he says aloud with a significant look toward Thokk.

The party gears back up and moves out down one of the larger passages chosen by Hajih. After a forced march of several hours, the party decides to make camp for the "night".

Lumpy and Thokk have discovered a small network of interconnected caves that seem to be accessible only through a narrow crevice. They judge the complex to be easily defensible and relatively comfortable. The central cave is dry and about 40 ft in diameter. Small growths of luminescent fungi (much smaller than the "trees" in the formian fungus farm) provide gentle illumination.

About a half dozen other caves connect to the central cave and to each other. These "bedrooms" give your party a long awaited chance for some privacy during the rest period, along with meditation spaces for the spellcasters.

Water seems to be less of an issue now, with both Linda and the lizardman generously creating fresh water as needed. Rations are running a bit low, however. The party might have to turn to "hunting" in the Underdark as an alternative to starvation in another "day" or so ...

28. - Top - End - #268

"Heck, I could stay here a day or two." Darius says, throwing his pack to the floor of his "bedroom" and leaning back against the wall.

"Guys, anybody hungry? We might want to go for a hunt after we've rested, unless you got a way to make a magical steak...

Magical steak? The possibilites...
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #269

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz finds himself a nice corner and begins to meditate. He still keeps his armor on and a dagger at hand, just in case something unwelcome tries to visit, or the drow decides to "smite Faerie".

[OOC: Poor HempRope, having a peice of him cut off by a gnome. ;)]

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure, I'll come hunting," Lissa replies, rolling out her bedroll. "After I've slept for several hours! Gods, fighting really takes it out of a gnome." She flops down on the bedroll, alternately taking swigs of water from a waterskin and gnawing on a journey-biscuit. Rolling over to look at the lizardkin, she addresses him in his own language. "Thank you for using your powers to give us water, druid. It's much appreciated." Turning to face Linda, she smiles at the mage. "And thank you for keeping the waterskins filled, too. I don't think I'll ever take clean water for granted again!"

The rogue finishes her meal, then searches out an oblong, somewhat flat-topped stone. Hauling it back to the 'bedroom' she shares with one of the other women, Lissa proceeds to ink a pair of symbols onto the side and pray quietly in Gnome. One symbol looks like a dagger over a black cloak, the other is a ring with a star on it. During the prayer, she puts a pair of gold coins and two crossbow bolts on top of the stone.