New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Something to consider: Scale.

Continents are huge. if the PC's are on different continents they must basically teleport or fly super-fast between posts with one another, or the time between each post is months or weeks, but is kinda difficult to keep track on. Travel time is kind of a obtuse concept in ffrp when you need to consider what your PC were doing all that time.

The whole idea of a ffrp universe is that the PC's should be able to interact with one another so everyone should be relatively close. Like in the same country at the very least.

Sounds like you are considering a very high-powered world, the nexus started out as one too, before it eventually the power levels lowered as more people got interested in social interaction rather than combat.

Also something to consider, turn order. You gonna have it?
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-06-04 at 08:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Continents are huge. if the PC's are on different continents they must basically teleport or fly super-fast between posts with one another, or the time between each post is months or weeks, but is kinda difficult to keep track on. Travel time is kind of a obtuse concept in ffrp when you need to consider what your PC were doing all that time.

The whole idea of a ffrp universe is that the PC's should be able to interact with one another so everyone should be relatively close. Like in the same country at the very least.

Sounds like you are considering a very high-powered world, the nexus started out as one too, before it eventually the power levels lowered as more people got interested in social interaction rather than combat.

Uuuuugh, I don't know.

I can't really imagine a low-powered universe without being bored to death, I'd probably just it there as an excuse to not bother me with low fantasy stuff when I'm being high magic here and not bother with anything on that continent while being in that one nation.

never considered turn order, seems to slow things down in a medium for roleplay that is already relatively slow compared to usual roleplaying, and the roleplays I'm in already don't seem to follow it and they still get slow at times. I'm more concerned about people being active at all than them posting in order.

Edit: that and I'm not TRYING to be high powered. if I was shooting for what I consider high power, continents would be nothing. trust me. when I intentionally shoot for high power, it gets ridiculous. I just naturally seem to gravitate towards what people consider high power stuff without realizing.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2017-06-04 at 09:26 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I have an idea. We can do something like the Dragon Age universe and say that all of civilization is on one continent (just a really small one in our case).
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    I think I have an idea. We can do something like the Dragon Age universe and say that all of civilization is on one continent (just a really small one in our case).
    .....I'd be fine with that. I'm just not sure what to do since I seem to be the only one suggesting stuff. I wasn't even trying to make it high-powered and such, it just turned out that way in my attempts to make it interesting. not even sure what I would play yet, I'm kind of still figuring that out myself. leaning on my orc idea but maybe a priestess of that love goddess, but maybe a shadowfolk knight, I'll have to figure it out.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

I thought you had it figured out...
    the beast knight are intresting idea. Maybe they could be gathered in Orders, each with diffrent idealogy and even powers?
    For example, The Dragon Order- Militant beast knights, believe in raw force and power as answer to problems. Many of them, can turn into dragons but not neccarily.

The Meduse Order- they believe in manipulation and conspiracies to keep the safety of society- when ever they act in violence, they KILL, not fighting. Many of them can turn into medusas.

just an idea I had.
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

6. - Top - End - #1416

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    I thought you had it figured out...
    the beast knight are intresting idea. Maybe they could be gathered in Orders, each with diffrent idealogy and even powers?
    For example, The Dragon Order- Militant beast knights, believe in raw force and power as answer to problems. Many of them, can turn into dragons but not neccarily.

The Meduse Order- they believe in manipulation and conspiracies to keep the safety of society- when ever they act in violence, they KILL, not fighting. Many of them can turn into medusas.

just an idea I had.
    They're called gorgons.

It is a pet peeve, since if you can't tell by my avatar, one of my PC's is one...

Anyway, high power level is fine as long as you have high powered threats. However, I should note that high-powered characters, in my experience, are more difficult to challenge for a GM. The ability to fly, teleport, dispel magic, read minds, walk through walls, all make it very easy to just bypass any hindrance the GM puts in the PC's way.

It is pretty awesome when it works, but it takes more effort to get there.

In addition, don't roleplay armies. Or rather, large groups of people as they suffer from conversation of ninjutsu.
    When you start roleplaying more than one enemy in a post, even just two, you notice you can't keep as much effort on them. It works, but is slightly draining (in my opinion). However when you start reaching about five separate actions per round, they're basically just mooks. They get one attack and get killed by one attack as you don't want to keep them around just to be useless, since that is what mooks basically are in ffrp.

In fact, a old ffrp'er called Rebonack had a rule where the PC's could modmod the mooks however they wanted just to have them being killed in the most awesome way as possible. It was only the boss that really mattered, the mooks are just decoration. Whoever is controlling them often just don't feel too attached to what is essentially a faceless nobody who they constantly have to control in each post. It is difficult, if not impossible, to get invested in that sort of thing.

And that is not even counting the actual armies of hundreds if not thousands of people. Then they're just vague abstract entities that die by the dozen as soon as a PC sneeze at them, no matter how weak that PC is. If you try to RP them as actual people, you might have to spend far too much effort than it is actually worth on each post.

So I recommend trying to keep armies away from this new setting somehow.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-06-05 at 09:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. actually the Beast Knights don't really work as gorgons. their entire point is to play fighters who can turn big scary stuff that your normally can't play because they are too big to fit inside a house. a dragon? too big. a hydra? too big and dumb. cerberus? too big and dumb. giant whatever animal you can think of? too big. thats why you pick this, so that your default form is some small humanoid so that when a big monster shows up and BAM! you can be a big monster right back at them, and if your in a closed space, partial transformation and you can still have some of its power while still wielding a sword or something.

I'd rather just have normal gorgons and all the strengths and weaknesses they have as a mortal if magical race and how they deal with living in a world where anyone other than another gorgon turns to stone if they gaze into their eyes, which is far more interesting in my opinion.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

And that doesn't seem needlessly restrictive to you?
    What if they want to be a beast knight of something scary but not big? Like a Minotaur or a Phoenix? Or hell, maybe a satyr as a bard knight.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Firbolg in the Playground

They're called gorgons.
    You've got it all wrong; they turn into jellyfish.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

Great idea for a beast knight that i might do:

Turns into a rat

Sneaks up on the enemies

Stabs with knives and sneak attack
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    And that doesn't seem needlessly restrictive to you?
    What if they want to be a beast knight of something scary but not big? Like a Minotaur or a Phoenix? Or hell, maybe a satyr as a bard knight.
    Thats just the original idea. and minotaurs and satyrs aren't really beasts though, they're races, so they don't count as mythical beasts, you can just play a minotaur or a satyr, why do you need to transform INTO them? phoenix makes sense at least.

I guess your and Celitcbears ideas could work as something thats NOT a Beast Knight but works on similar principles for assassinations? because the entire idea of a Beast Knight is that they are a knight errant who turns into something big, because the original idea was "I want to play an arrancar but I don't want to eat souls or be evil, and I want to adapt it to a more general setting so that I'm more likely to play it." I didn't consider things this far, I was mostly thinking "hey cool giant monster fights" and thats what they're designed for, to be a warrior-type of person who then turn into something big when they have the space and the need. I guess some people probably took the magic and modified it for smaller subtler stuff but they wouldn't be Beast KNIGHTS, because its meant to refer to the warrior social class. a Beast Assassin is what you guys are thinking of.

that and my idea for limiting power: basically the lowest possible bar for what I consider high-powered is "can destroy a city in a single ultimate attack" so my idea for that, is for this setting to make it so that any spell that can destroy a city or above requires a big ritual and lots of preparation, like just tons of it, hours at least. anything below city destruction is the PC power level. anything above city destruction is the power level of various complicated rituals that can be easily disrupted, powerful villains and the mysterious workings of gods. there is a lot of cool powers and cool fights that can happen below city destruction level.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

So here's the idea for the fantasy world called... well I haven't heard a name for it yet. We'll figure it out later, but here's what we got:

1) All of the ideas from the original spoiler by Lord Raziere

2) The world's events takes place on one continent

3) Undead are tools, and not inherently evil (Though they are frowned upon)

4) The beast knights cannot designate their own forms, but can only mirror their opponents.

If I mistyped any of the ideas, or left one out entirely, then just post the discrepancy.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-06-08 at 12:40 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

No. they can designate their form, its just a Beast Knight is not an assassin. Like, the entire point is for you to designate your form, its just that your skills matter. sure you can be an assassin who uses a giant form or a knight who uses a little form, but others are going look at you weirdly, because a little form is more suited to an assassin who would be able to use such a form as stealth or disguise, because thats the main benefit of turning into another race. if you can turn into a minotaur, sure your a little stronger but the main benefit is that everyone thinks to look for a minotaur when you kill the important jerk noble and thus aren't looking for you in your normal form. Thus Morph Assassin, some probably choose birds, some choose cats for their cuteness, some choose things like Gorgons to kill them with instant petrification stares but of course actual Gorgons hate them for to turning their curse into an assassination weapon and giving them a bad reputation.

While a giant form is more suited to a warrior, because they will care less about being stealthy and more about taking on a big thing like a dragon, that y'know, can destroy more things, because warriors are supposed to protect people and if your a giant monster well you can shield people from a lot.

a mage who can mirror forms is something completely different from both of these things.

In short Beast Knight =/= Morph Assassin =/= Mirror Mage.

I mean sure you can mix and match these concepts, but some forms are just plain more useful for different situations and you only get one form.

Edit: anyways, as for name of the setting, maybe keep it simple and memorable. all the best fantasies keep it that way in my opinion. Since we have only one continent, how about we simply name it......Pangaea? after one of the past super-continents of old. simple, memorable and to the point.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2017-06-09 at 05:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm still interested, by the way. I'm strongly considering an orc Earth Mage, who can preferably still fight decently.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

sounds good! I was considering an orc fighter myself with some sort of magic, but I didn't know what. now at least I know it won't be earth magic, that narrows it down so as to not step your toes. though I might go with my Shadow Knight idea now. or my priest idea. or my noble lady idea. or gorgon idea.

or even something else. I've honestly built up a lot of fantasy character ideas and don't really know which one to pick. I might play all of them but give more focus to one over another depending on which on the situation.

and yeah, I'm sorry that my explanation for Beast Knights and Morph Assassins and such seems to be so confusing. never intended to close off character concepts.

so should I start the thread, or is there anything else for us to discuss? because there seems to be enough interest and we should probably clogging up the central thread at some point.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I am totally ready. Well, for the central thread. Still trying to center off a character concept.

Plus, I got one last idea that i wanted to add to the mix: Factions. Well, not factions but kingdoms. Two warring kingdoms. One on both ends of Pangaea. Of course, we could just say that there are a bunch of unaffiliated towns spread all across Pangaea, but two warring kingdoms is always a good place to start in fantasy.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

only two? its a continent man, there should be much more than that, but lets say there are two warring kingdoms within it as well as many other kingdoms not involved. a part of fantasy is a certain aspect of adventure and seeing different cultures, that and two warring nations on different ends of said continent doesn't make sense, given that there would be a bunch of stuff in between that wouldn't be involved and therefore would hate them both, it makes more sense for the two of them to be right next to each other and warring because warring nations unsurprisingly are about attacking the ones right next to them and not nations that are distant from them, that would simply be impractical to mount any war effort for given how long it would take and how supplies work in medieval times.

question is, what are they warring over? the reasons could be political like the nobles messed up the normal diplomatic methods of marriage and such something fierce, or it could be religious and the Church of Light that worships the angels could hate another religion because they want everyone to go the City of Heaven and heaven only allows saints, while the other nations religion is more animist and doesn't believe you need the City of Heaven to be happy in the afterlife? just ideas.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, you make great points. Let's say that Kingdom A's (we'll get to naming them later) king has recently died. His son / daughter, (insert name here) is extremely religious. Kingdom B on the other hand (whose location is practically right next door to A) has a monarch who takes close council with a Shadowfolk. This Shadowfolk sees the new king of A as a threat to his sweet gig of corruption, so he takes measures to try and assassinate him with demonic entities. Thankfully, A's ruler stems these foul would be assassins with his faith magic (he is extremely religious), and finds out that Kingdom B is behind these demonic attacks. He declares a war against them.

EDIT: Plus there's like enough Kingdoms who aren't related to this Conflict with enough names to get to letter E or F, but this is just my idea for A and B.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-06-09 at 07:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, sounds like a good quest for my Shadowfolk Knight to defeat this Shadowfolk and his corruption. to figure out and defeat him as a Shadow Knight would.

Edit: also, Fantasy ITP is up, should probably start talking about this there.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2017-06-09 at 09:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think Raziere posted the link,so here we go: LINK

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Orc in the Playground

So, anyone interested in a Free Form RPG of Transformers?

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Orc in the Playground

Hi all! I erm, wanted to do some Free Form roleplaying to get a feel for roleplay in an actual D&D game.

My character is a Murderous Human, so eh, caution is advised.

I want to seek a classic Fantasy RP akin to most D&D settings, if possible...

Let me know if you have one!

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Hi all! I erm, wanted to do some Free Form roleplaying to get a feel for roleplay in an actual D&D game.

My character is a Murderous Human, so eh, caution is advised.

I want to seek a classic Fantasy RP akin to most D&D settings, if possible...

Let me know if you have one!
    We just started to create a pure fantasy world (with Lord Raziere doing most of the work). Other than that, try anywhere in the Nexus, they have all of the genres.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-06-20 at 01:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Dwarf in the Playground

How to start my own game?

25. - Top - End - #1435

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    How to start my own game?
    Simply post a new thread with the name of your new ffrp game, a suggestion would be to name it "recruitment thread for X".

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

So....last call for anyone who cares for either General Fantasy or Naruto threads aside from me? because they're made and there and no one is posting there and if no one cares I'm just going to stop caring myself. Last call.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Titan in the Playground

I am stuck with my character sheet for naruto, and right now I am bit overwhelmed, but ~I do want to check the general fantasy
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

I definitely want the fantasy world to kick off.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Any way to delete my own threads?

30. - Top - End - #1440

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    Any way to delete my own threads?
    I wouldn't delete it so soon, even if you could. The only thing you can do is asking a mod to lock it though.