New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

From what I understand, most Battle Royale type games don't last long. Such things usually descend into dodge-fighting and bigger-gun syndrome.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

.....Huh.
    I'm going to have to establish a Lich here.
    Or maybe a dragon...

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drynwyn View Post
    .....Huh.
    I'm going to have to establish a Lich here.
    Or maybe a dragon...
    The nexus would probably be best for this one

I was planning on introducing a necromancer character. you know, to go with my new Avi. Maybe... he could be your apprentice?
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Pixie in the Playground

Considering how everyone who comes here seems to have a request for a fantasy character, we're in desperate need of a generic fantasy setting to place them in.
    MystaraITP, perhaps?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T.H. Everything View Post
    Considering how everyone who comes here seems to have a request for a fantasy character, we're in desperate need of a generic fantasy setting to place them in.
    MystaraITP, perhaps?
    Too specific, I'd advise against it. And Nexus already pretty much covers all things D&D.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Pixie in the Playground

But, as someone already said, Nexus has more than just fantasy characters. And anyway, Mystara is pretty generic. Vast world, lots of dungeons, once home to a high-tech civilization...that's about it.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Too specific, I'd advise against it. And Nexus already pretty much covers all things D&D.
    There is a MythositP, which covers fantasy-specific settings. It's not too specific- if we have BleachitP, then we could have a fantasy-specific setting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

There is a fantasy verse running right now... sort of.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-02-14 at 04:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realised that I have a specialized fantasy world which I made a wiki for, conveniently, from one of my comic worlds. It'd be interesting to see if maybe I could turn this into a thing, since there are already named locations, races and factions pre-established, but still lots of unestablished material. (And I'd be perfectly good for talking about things that would or wouldn't be in certain locations)

The only downside I can personally see, is that due to the nature of the world having a god-king, we'd either need to avoid him, or actually have someone play a godmoddy character, which could be troublesome. I mean, in the comic he originated from, he only fought one person at any point in time, and they're part of something that isn't even really present in the world as I would leave it for a freeform, largely because anyone actually playing the Fallen would be so vastly overpowered that it just wouldn't be fair. Plus there are only seven fallen canonically, 3 of which are confirmed dead, and the others whom are kept locked away in the Isolators tower...

ANYWAYS, I'd be interested in talking about it, as you see. It's kinda one of my favourite self-made settings, and I'd like to see how possible it would be to create a freeform off of it! Anyone interested in helping me out?

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, why not! It looks fun!
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

If enough people are interested, I'll invest in an OOC thread to discuss specifics and things that will need deciding!

So far I know that at least two people are interested.

12. - Top - End - #342

It's a nice setting and all.

I don't know though. I mean besides races what would differentiate it from any other setting here?

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Very low magic, for one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

There's only one pure fantasy setting, and it's very different, from it, from what I can see. Namely, the fact that there's very little traditional 'Magic', there's the dynamic with the God-King and rooting out heresy with the Isolators and such with inquisitions, the complete lack of humans, and the way that the races themselves treat one another... it's fairly different, and I'm sure we could find more ways to make it so.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2011-02-14 at 10:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345

Yeah I imagine you could find ways to differentiate it more from the existing settings. I'll grant you the low magic part is nice and diffferent.

Oh and the Celtois list to creating a FFRP realm. There are more questions too somewhere. But these are the main ones.

Quote Originally Posted by celtois View Post
    Universe Creation list:

Property of Celtois Corp ©

The W's

Who: What sort of characters do you want to see in your world.
    -Character creation sheet
    It never hurts to have one pre-designed for your universe
    -Special rules unique to your universe related to characters
    Are all characters Velociraptors? Is divine magic allowed, etc.
    -Feel, what sort of feel do you want with the characters is this a more serious universe where tragic characters would be welcomed or would you like more comedic characters to inhabit your new universe

Where: So what exactly is this world of yours?
    - Obviously where is is set? A small border kingdom in the middle of nowhere?A giant demiplane that is a huge gladiatorial arena, a space tricycle?
    -Is there a particular genre that it fits in? Or is it like the nexus a big wobbley blend of genres
    -On a broader level what are the basic understandings of the world and it's history.

When: When is this when is that, and so forth?
    -When is the time period, is this the age of steampunk. A primeval world, or somewhere in the future?
    -When is it in the course of history, is there anything important that happened before the current time period that the players aught to know.

How:
    -So just how are the characters involved in your story, or the world?
    -Why are they needed?
    -What are the characters going to be doing?

The meta game aspect

What:
    -What makes your universe stand out, how is it unique?
    Why would I choose your universe over on of the countless other ones.
    -What ooc assumptions are being made in your universe? Are there rules that all the characters are too follow. A storyteller or do all the stories originate from the players themselves.
    -Does your world have a story? If so what does the conclusion of it mean.

(As sick as I am of the shear ridiculous number of universes I do like to see them succeed so no problem.)

(P.S. this is by no means a complete list. It is however a list of important questions. One that will be expanded on. You by no means have to answer all the questions but I'd say if possible make sure to answer the OOC part )
    Oh and yeah read your whole wiki and it answers some of these questions. It's mainly just a plug for my buried list, and to encourage some more thought about how it fits into FFRP.
    Last edited by celtois; 2011-02-14 at 10:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Who: Obviously, the characters will be of the races presented. I might allow leeway for half-breeds (Except where Arkanites are concerned, since the horn-arrangements are such a very big part of their social status), but otherwise I expect those races to be used. The characters should be able to fit into a serious world – but that doesn’t mean they have to be serious, dark and brooding, only that they are realistic for the life they have lived. The only people with ‘Magical abilities’ would be the Sla’ati, the Abbadi and the Changelings. I’ll make a character sheet if ever I have an OOC thread. I kinda hope people will run characters past the OOC first, for obvious reasons.

Where: Obviously it’s Incarnon, the world outlined in the wiki link. If you expect me to compact all the history into one post, I can try, but it is by no means the full details.

Island ruled by a god-king (who does indeed seem to have tremendous powers), was victim of a long war with a foreign power due to him calling himself a god – though the war ended with a peace treaty after 20 years and a new ruler of said foreign peoples had been elected. Now the god-kings ‘Isolators’ help him to root out ‘heretics’ working against his rule.

The setting is essentially fantasy, but has the racial differences outlined in the wiki. All the information you’re asking for is there. Seriously. Notably, no humans at all.

When: The history has important events like the days of the fallen and the Moyen Wars, both outlined in the wiki. It’s fairly fantasy in tech-level, but it kinda takes influences from all periods of medieval history, as well as its own designs.

How:
    The characters can do what they want to do, obviously. This is a freeform.

That said, there are pre-established groups and factions, and I certainly don’t want anyone to actually succeed in undermining the God-King, should they choose to be some sort of crazy uber-heretic. That would throw the setting so far out of whack that it might be hard to really say it’s even the same setting.

THAT said, there are facts one might gleam about the history of the world that do exist in-canon that might shed interesting light on the God-king’s rule. They’re not listed in the wiki mostly because the wiki was intended to be a sort of ‘common knowledge’ thing, but I’d be willing to discuss them if we ever did get an OOC. No one should really be surprised, though, that the physical god king may not be entirely what he says he is.

The meta game aspect

What:
    Uniqueness mentioned above. Low magic, the races, the way the races interact, the fact that the god takes physical form to rule his people, the rooting out of heretics, the Isolator group of inquisitors who treat each other like family and fight in battle-pairs… just read the wiki.
    As for why you’d choose my universe? I can’t speak for you. I’d assume it was because you were interested.
    OOC assumptions? As mentioned, I’d kinda appreciate not toppling whole organizations or parts of the world I’ve already established. I was also kinda hoping we could establish any OOC stuff… in an OOC thread. It’s not all pre-decided yet! There’s room for contention, and discussion! The major OOC assumptions are the same as the rest of the subforum, I’d imagine.
    My world has a story up to this point in the history, and had more at one point, but the comic was discontinued. As such, that history still happens, but this FFRP would be assumed to be an alt-universe to that history, because I like giving people freedoms.
    The only thing I know for certain, is that the Moyens would develop gunpowder several years from this point in the history, but that probably won’t be important, as it would have taken many more years for it to reach across the sea to Incarnon.

There you go! This world is another one of my babies, but I really do want other people to enjoy it as much as I do. As I say above, I'm open to discussion, if enough people are interested - I just don't want to have it if we're not even going to make something of all this, y'know?
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2011-02-14 at 10:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347

The list is my pet project admittedly. So it's interesting to see it applied to another world.

Anyways it certainly sounds interesting. The questions were primarily to see if anyone else was interested, as I'm on the verge of temporary retirement due to stress. Otherwise I'd certainly consider jumping in.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

I take it from all the views and no replies that nobody else is interested?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry, but I have enough on my plate with the Nexus... I doubt I could spare the time and effort on another FFRPverse.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

I said I'm interested!
    I like the widdle dwarf things!
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

See, this illustrates the problem I have with trying to do non-nexus stuff on the FFRP section...

You really can't. Sure, there are the couple other things, like SWitP and BitP, but those have the advantage of being existing fandoms with large fanbases to back them up.

But the biggest hurdle for any other FFRP world in the FFRP section is the Nexus. The fact that nobody who plays the Nexus is willing to devote any time to anything else - that the Nexus dominates this section.

As far as I'm concerned, as much as I like the Nexus - this is a problem.

Also, Techno, you are one of two people. Two people does not a setting make.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you can make that three. it's not much, but I'm here
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, as much as I like the Nexus - this is a problem.
    The issue is that you're approaching a community that devotes significant time into roleplaying in a large and complex universe, and asking them to do it again.

Most people don't want that much roleplaying. They don't need that much roleplaying.

There's nothing wrong with you wanting to play out your setting, but approaching people who have already dedicated time and energy into a setting they enjoy and asking them to double that workload? Well... it's just not likely to work out.

So really, no, I don't think it is a problem that the FFRP community largely remains uninterested in new settings. There's nothing wrong with other ideas, and we're not trying to squash them- we personally just don't need or desire more. You're just reaching out to the wrong market.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

It is a problem, though.

You say I'm "Reaching out to the wrong market" - and yet I don't see any other FFRP sections on this forum. This section is not solely for one universe. This isn't the Nexus section.

I was under the impression that I might be able to introduce a setting here, and yet I'm being practically told that this isn't the place for it. Do you realise why this is a problem?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Bugbear in the Playground

I, personally, really like the idea of a Low-Magic setting. Sadly, I doubt it would work. This sub-forum is for all FFRP settings, yes, but most people post in the Nexus, and only the Nexus. If you look, most other settings have only a few people. It isn't that the Nexus is crushing other settings, it's simply that most people like the Nexus just fine, and aren't really interested in other settings, as they can play, let's say, a Dino-Riding Mad Scientist/Jedi in the Nexus, and there is no need to create a setting just for Dino-Riding Mad Scientist/Jedi.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Really, if this is going to be the case, I'm starting to wonder why I bother with this section.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

This is the right place, but there aren't many players that participate in more than one universe. If you look at the "Lynching" games or the Anime games, they tend to have completely different player bases.

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers. It might be the same problem as in structured, where the people designing games simply require more players than the player base supports.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

No, I do not. I see why you believe it to be a problem, but I disagree.

This section, and those games within it, are well established. The community is largely one, mostly unchanging group of people, who are all involved in one or more FFRP universes already. This is the section for FFRP universes... but that doesn't guarantee a new universe will take hold, because the community is one already involved in games that interest them.

I think you can agree with me that no one is obligated to join your game. Why should they be? So the next step is attempting to attract interest to your game. And with that in mind... addressing people already within FFRP games, which are largely the people who pay attention to this forum? Not the best idea. It's like walking up to people eating ice cream and trying to sell them ice cream, and then complaining that you're being put out of business because no one is going to buy your ice cream.

The point is, you're largely addressing the wrong people. No one here is obligated to join your setting, whether it is well set up or not, and what is more, the people you're addressing are already involved in things that interest them. And that's fine. That's good, even. It just means for you that even if you want to establish your setting here you shouldn't be looking for players here.

It's not that you can't establish a setting here, it's just that most people fail because they attempt to establish another setting here and rely on the people already here to have interest. That's just not going to work.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem is that newbies are immediately ushered to the Nexus, a setting which does, in fact, inadvertently crush new settings.

You can say it doesn't, but the fact is it does - it just doesn't intend to.

I'm incredibly disheartened to learn that after several attempts to spark interest in different settings (never making it past the "Anyone Interested" phase, in fact), that there is simply no room for something less... silly.

The Nexus, as a whole, is the entire kitchen sink of fantasy and sci-fi. There are many reasons why that might not be what a person wants, and yet there are practically no alternatives, so they are ushered to the Nexus. This is the wrong thing to do.

"There's nobody playing a setting focused on what I want to play, so I guess I have to go to the Nexus" just means that there is still no one playing what that person wants to play. This makes me sad, because it creates a cycle. What if I want to play in a low-powered world, where someone with nothing but a dagger is just as capable as anyone else, and not liable to be blown up by grenades and shot with lasers?

30. - Top - End - #360

The basic problem is the amount of time and effort required to RP in one particular universe. I've noted that since this sub-forum stopped being 'Town' and started being 'FFRP' the settings that have survived here are the ones that came in with a totally different player base.

Usually from the Media section of the forums.

I don't think that trying to create new universes is a bad idea. The only potential problem is finding the players, and more importantly the time, to get it to work.

Though if you want to get a new universe to work with players that have other settings they're already in running it like a Plot thread would probably be the way to go. Make it a self-contained story rather than the sprawling pit of madness that is the Nexus. By containing everything in one thread it should be easier for players to keep track of it and juggle time there with other places.

That's my suggestion! =3
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.