New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Hello people, I'm new here and I like to RP with people. I tend to either have a strong character who likes to kill things, or a fast character who is stealthy and generally an assassin. I am best in a fantasy-style RP. I generally start out with a thief/assassin in a well-populated city. Any suggestions? If not I shall make my own set within a world I just created a few weeks ago. I already have a map, quite good, which suprised me when I was done. PLZ HLP MEH PPLZ

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd check the first couple posts of this thread, which are loaded with info and stuffs.
    Stuffs! ^_^
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

3. - Top - End - #423
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

this is STUUUUUUUFS!!!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Mythos is a fantasy setting, but it's currently on Page 2
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Hi there, I'm interested in trying out FFRP, and I would like to try one of the following:

In a game with literary characters, to play the version of Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

In a cyberspace-type game, to play a Tron-like program (the avatar should be a dead giveaway).

OR

In a game full of whacked-out fantasy stuff, to play a perfectly ordinary young man or woman who has no idea who (s)he is, how (s)he got there, or why (s)he is wearing those strange clothes. Kind of like Kagome in InuYasha, including discovering (s)he is more powerful later on.

Suggestions?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello and welcome!

That last one is probably the easiest one to do. The first one is hard because... well it's hard to find literate and well versed characters in our literature in the various settings. I also believe there isn't a cyber-space setting really.

I myself would recommend the Nexus. Crossroads to everywhere and what not. Just remember to read the first few posts of this thread because there stuffed with information. Also read the opening posts in the various OOC threads because those are also quite useful.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

The third is NEXUS to a T, though be warned that NEXUS isn't limited to fantasy: it borrows a lot from sci-fi in particular (the governing faction of the largest city is possessed of some very high-tech weaponry) as well as other genres.

For pure Fantasy, there's also Mythos, which is on the second or third page or so.

The first two... no help there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, NEXUS sounds great. I was looking for more weirdness than fantasy, really.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah. Weirdness is a specialty of ours.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2011-04-26 at 09:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UserClone View Post
    In a game with literary characters, to play the version of Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
    LynchingITP uses literary characters, and undead usually exist in some form.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was awesome.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed it was. What threads am I meant to start with?

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say go for the Nexus OOC. it'll give you the low down on what you should do to start there
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    For pure Fantasy, there's also Mythos, which is on the second or third page or so.
    Oh right...Mythos. I might want to go ressurect the IC thread
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    DMZ
    Guest in the Playground

biggrin Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Hi there, I am DMZ

Since I am a numpt at any P&P rules since 2nd Ed(Damn you Baldur's Gate XD) I decided to come here and try some freeform.

I'm a sucker for the Forgotten Realms setting and love exploring it, though I never mind to play something out of the ordinary. I like mixes between old and modern(say, paladins with pistols and such) but still do prefer the magic/sword gameplay over the modern stuff.

My characters are usually slightly off, being undead, disproportionate or otherwise different. I never had complains about my characters being overpowered though, rather the opposite. Oh, and I love skeletons.

Any Forgotten Realms (2nd Ed stuff preferably, if with rules) games running or accepting?

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Hi there, I am DMZ

Since I am a numpt at any P&P rules since 2nd Ed(Damn you Baldur's Gate XD) I decided to come here and try some freeform.

I'm a sucker for the Forgotten Realms setting and love exploring it, though I never mind to play something out of the ordinary. I like mixes between old and modern(say, paladins with pistols and such) but still do prefer the magic/sword gameplay over the modern stuff.

My characters are usually slightly off, being undead, disproportionate or otherwise different. I never had complains about my characters being overpowered though, rather the opposite. Oh, and I love skeletons.

Any Forgotten Realms (2nd Ed stuff preferably, if with rules) games running or accepting?

This isn't a place for D&D games. If you want that, go to the pbp.

Of course, if you want to start one in FR, without D&D rules, you could run it yourself or ask someone else to start it.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey DMZ. I will recommend the Nexus. Of course that may be because it's my FFRP of choice. Also, it fits the mix of modern and fantasy well. As well as sci fi, Lovecraft, and pretty much anything else you can think of. Odd characters fit in very well. VERY well. Undead are, of course, accepted just fine. *peers at my own horde of vampires*

Whatever you choose, welcome to FFRP.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Mythos is an FFRP set in a Fantasy Setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    DMZ
    Guest in the Playground

Thank for the welcoming parteh :)

@Swiftmongoose
    It's strictly the FR that I like, not any rules in particular(though I feel familiar with -XX AC and some other stuff). The world is what i am interested in.

Mind me, but I see over a dozen nexus games, all of which seem to have started already. A search for Mythos returned nothing, so I can't say anything bout that.

So methinks there will need to be a new FR topic. I have little experience being any sort of GM(somebody will have to do, even though this is a no-gm forum) but I can say I'm a fair writer. Any of you have idea's as to whom might be interested in starting/joining a FR game derived from the 2nd FR world?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

There is only one Nexus game.

The various threads you see are location threads, which are free to jump into at any time, unless stated otherwise in the title or opening post.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

Darkcomet wrote this for the Nexus, and it may or may not be relevant to other freeform 'verses. I will be adding this to the OPs. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcomet View Post

Combat and Power Management
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tips for Headache-Free Combat

Power

Power levels amongst potential combatants vary wildly. Throwing high-power characters at lower-powered ones who don't stand a chance against them is generally disliked by the players of the lower-powered characters. While high-power characters' players may feel restricted, there are several things they could do to avoid this situation.

Scaling-A popular method for playing high-power characters smoothly is power scaling, or adjusting the power used according to the opponent's power level. To put it simply, just because you can kill everyone in the room in one shot DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD. Throwing high-power around whenever possible just annoys people, and should not be done.

Targeting-High-power characters can also target other high-power characters instead of lower-powered ones. This is fairly obvious.

Non-aggressiveness-Aggressive high-power characters often cause annoyance among other players. If they look for fights all the time, people will get tired of dealing with them, especially if they're powerful enough that they can't really be stopped. For example, this is pretty much why gods in the Nexus usually don't run around blasting everything they don't like. The players involved don't like fighting something they can't possibly stop. It feels pointless and wasteful.

In addition to these factors, raw power level alone shouldn't necessarily mean that lower-powered characters are guaranteed to lose. If the lower-powered characters can play sufficiently intelligently or epicly, that should be a factor in who wins the battle. Think of it as a 'boss fight' of sorts-if the extreme raw-power of the boss meant the heroes always lost, there wouldn't be much of a game to play, would there?

Besides that, there is another point to power management in combat.

Avoiding Escalation

Even when power levels are equal, when they're high, a common problem is escalation. This is when one side perpetually pulls out greater firepower when it isn't truly needed, making it seem like the player of said side is trying to force a win for them.

The other problem with this is, when two high-powered sides are fighting, this may force the other side to escalate to greater force as well. For example:

(C1=Combatant 1, C2=Combatant 2)

C1: So we're around equal, huh? Well guess what? I have a tank!
    C2: Well I have an army with anti-tank weapons!
    C1: Ah, but you forget that I have a swarm of giant monsters to eat your army!
    C2: I can crush your monsters with-

Okay, that's enough, guys, you can go home. The point is, when escalation occurs, it can make all players involved look rather unintelligent power-wavers.

It is much better to continue to play on equal terms rather than pull out gratuitous firepower. That way neither player is forced to look bad, and the combat scene is much better to participate in and to read. Remember the core idea of this guide: Just because you can do something extremely powerful does not mean you should.

PC Kills

Going so far as to try to outright kill another player's character can be controversial. Some are okay with it, others are not. It is usually best to ask the other player involved if they are okay with you seriously trying to kill off their character.

Trying to force character deaths on others who are not okay with them will often make the player trying to do so seem rather unpleasant, leading to OOC rifts between that can last for quite a long time. Dealing with these rifts is difficult, and often limits what players can do if they are, for example, trying to avoid another player's characters.

Losing

Losing in combat scenes is not always the horrible thing it seems like. Provided that the players involved aren't going for PC kills, it can lead to interesting roleplaying opportunities that can provide a nice change from simply stomping everything in sight all the time. At the same time, making these things work out can help to build respect among players.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest? A FR game doesn't exactly grab my interest. It's way too specific for FFRP on these forums.

Also, there's only one Nexus game, but it's over multiple threads, each on a different location.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Thank for the welcoming parteh :)

@Swiftmongoose
    It's strictly the FR that I like, not any rules in particular(though I feel familiar with -XX AC and some other stuff). The world is what i am interested in.

Mind me, but I see over a dozen nexus games, all of which seem to have started already. A search for Mythos returned nothing, so I can't say anything bout that.

So methinks there will need to be a new FR topic. I have little experience being any sort of GM(somebody will have to do, even though this is a no-gm forum) but I can say I'm a fair writer. Any of you have idea's as to whom might be interested in starting/joining a FR game derived from the 2nd FR world?
    The main thread for Mythos is called "The Kingdom of Xor". It might be on Page 2
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well well well, seems it has been a while since anyone has posted on this thread before, but I was actually looking to see if there was any interest in two Universe/game concepts I had.

First, Fairy Tail ITP. Based off the manga/anime.

Second, One Piece. Based off of THAT manga/anime.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    Well well well, seems it has been a while since anyone has posted on this thread before, but I was actually looking to see if there was any interest in two Universe/game concepts I had.

First, Fairy Tail ITP. Based off the manga/anime.

Second, One Piece. Based off of THAT manga/anime.
    One Piece wouldn't work so well, due to travel times involved.

Fairy Tail, however? DO WANT.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    One Piece wouldn't work so well, due to travel times involved.

Fairy Tail, however? DO WANT.
    Yeah thats what I thought.

Ahemmm... If we worked out Fairy Tail, then Leo would be MINE, ALL MINE!
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep in mind we'd have alternate characters.

...that said, I have an idea for a drunkard Poison Dragon Slayer who justifies her constant sake drinking with 'Alchohol's a poison, so it's valid! I'M NOT WRONG, DAMMIT!"

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

28. - Top - End - #448

Keep in mind we'd have alternate characters.

...that said, I have an idea for a drunkard Poison Dragon Slayer who justifies her constant sake drinking with 'Alchohol's a poison, so it's valid! I'M NOT WRONG, DAMMIT!"
    Yes, but I still want Leo, canon Leo or not.

I'd most certainly have a Celestial Wizard.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

True.

That said, we'd need more interest first...

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

30. - Top - End - #450

True.

That said, we'd need more interest first...
    Quite. Perhaps we should make a thread for interest... I feel like the majority of people who check the FFRP forum don't really check this thread.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show