New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

I propose a new supers rp, seeing as the general consensus is that the other is inactive. Interest?
    "One saving throw at a time."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderthought View Post
    I propose a new supers rp, seeing as the general consensus is that the other is inactive. Interest?
    See, I would agree to this, but the problem is we've had two super rps, and both have died relatively quickly. I don't really want to start another, just to see it fall.
    No offense to you, though.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

On the topic of supers, I may have a slightly broader concept that could work. Pitched the idea last night to one of the FFRP chats and it seemed to have a reasonable amount of interest, thus I'm tossing it out here as well.

A setting based in part on Urban Arcana.

For those unfamiliar, Urban Arcana is something of a hybrid fantasy/sci-fi genre in a modern environment. The X-Files meets Men in Black meets Buffy meets traditional folklore sorta deal.

The Average Joe/Jane is oblivious to the existence of the paranormal and fantastical apart from urban legends due to a combination of systematic cover-up and Disbelief. People tend to see what they want to see, and that's doubly true here. That's no ogre, that's just a really beefy bouncer. But that doesn't preclude something really overt from jarring them awake so to speak.

As far as supers go, a proper balance would need to be found between covert action and 'holy crap that guy just threw a bus!'

I don't really want to get into much detail beyond the skeleton of the system, mostly because I would much favor the nitty-gritty being hammered out by the community if there's interest in the idea.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    On the topic of supers, I may have a slightly broader concept that could work. Pitched the idea last night to one of the FFRP chats and it seemed to have a reasonable amount of interest, thus I'm tossing it out here as well.

For those unfamiliar, Urban Arcana is something of a hybrid fantasy/sci-fi genre in a modern environment. The X-Files meets Men in Black meets Buffy meets traditional folklore sorta deal.

The Average Joe/Jane is oblivious to the existence of the paranormal and fantastical apart from urban legends due to a combination of systematic cover-up and Disbelief. People tend to see what they want to see, and that's doubly true here. That's no ogre, that's just a really beefy bouncer. But that doesn't preclude something really overt from jarring them awake so to speak.

As far as supers go, a proper balance would need to be found between covert action and 'holy crap that guy just threw a bus!'

I don't really want to get into much detail beyond the skeleton of the system, mostly because I would much favor the nitty-gritty being hammered out by the community if there's interest in the idea.
    BibliographyITP was kind of like that, I guess. Though its collapse probably had more to do with the lack of information on the setting.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

I can see that idea being golden, especially in regard to supers, just due to how many plots it could generate. A governmental agency using supers to knock over dictatorships. A "supervillian" plot to wake up every person on earth. Id be happy to help hammer out the details.

6. - Top - End - #36

Just so long as none of the villains try to blow up the ocean or something, 's already been done before. Want to be original after all!

But yes, the setting makes for impressive variety in terms of possible antagonists. Evil organization using alien technology to sway public though mind-control broadcasts over TV. Cultists trying to wake up some primordial horror. Ghosts possessing key figures in the government. People seeking to purge the world of non-humans. And of course insane super-villains hatching totally impractical and overly complicated schemes. Lots of plots, lots of bad-guys to go around.

In terms of characters, both PCs and NPCs, I've got a general idea of what categories they would fall under.

Normal Joes: Standard humans, may or may not have any useful training. Generally their mind will glaze over fantastical happenings, though some are 'awakened' to the preternatural world. Usually by an encounter with a being that they simply can't ignore. Just because someone's normal doesn't mean they can't be bad-ass.

Supers: Ordinary humans with extraordinary abilities. They might have been born with them. Or maybe gained them through a freak accident with some gamma rays. Or maybe they found a tome of terrible arcane power. Or maybe they found some alien technology that has been adapted for their own use. Supers would probably be the most 'overt' of the various preternatural types, the most likely to be noticed by the public since they're still human. It'll be worth deciding where they'll fall in the public knowledge spectrum between Hellboy and Spiderman.

Paranormals: Ghosts, ghouls, vampires, extra-dimensional beings. The generally spooky sorts. I would imagine they would be much like ghosts are considered in RL. Some people think they exist, others don't. No real 'hard evidence' that they do.

Xenos: Aliens! Hi-tech, may have some preternatural abilities by human standards. Would probably disguise themselves by hiding inside the head of their robotic human body or some such. Think Men in Black.

Fables: Talking animals at the petting zoo, a leprechaun running the pawn-shop, tinker-elf fixing your laptop. Mythological beings hiding in plain sight. They would probably appear normal through a mix of Disbelief, shape-shifting, glamor, and mundane disguise. These guys would probably be the hardest for normal folks to spot what with magical appearance alteration and all.

On the subject of Fables I think it would be a decent idea, especially if snagging a critter out of folk-lore, to do some reading on it and find out how they were warded off. How you could recognize them. Things of that nature. Startle a disguised troll and you might catch a glimpse of her tail, things of that nature.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

I imagine superheros might be sort of an open secret. People might be willing to believe that some loon puts on a crazy costume and fights crime every other Saturday (seeing as it actually happened once, back in the 30's), but theyd probably be unwilling to believe he flew under his own power. they might rationalize it as him using a glider or a jetpack, or they might just think they were seeing things.

I also figure there might be a few agencies devoted to handling the various fantastical events elements. Sort of like the previously mentioned MIB; their job would be damage control. They discredit the rumors, explain the phenomena to the public, and generally keep the masses from having a panic attack.

Well, im down with it. What should we call it?

8. - Top - End - #38

Sort of a Batman situation in reverse. People can say he can fly, but he's using cables and gliders. People say Captain Fantastic can fly, but obviously he's just using a grappling hook. Just flying around all willy-nilly is physically impossible.

Disbelief would help to reinforce what the public believes to be true.

And of course there would have to be some kind of MIB equivalent! Very possibly with division dealing with different kinds of preternatural activity. You've got to have your ghost-busters after all.

As for a name...

Well, that's a good question I suppose. I think going with the name of the centerpiece city might be reasonable. We would just need to come up with said name =P

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

We could use Northport..it's an old setting for pulp adventure. With a few tweaks it could easily be brought into the 21st century. It's got plenty of different districts and local areas to make a good setting for just about any plot, and it's vague location of " somewhere on the coast" makes it just ambiguous enough to retain suspension of disbelief.

10. - Top - End - #40

HalfOrcPirate

Call me a hypocritte, but I'm intrigued. If I see more support, I'll be with it, 100%.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

I am, indeed, intrigued. I'm assuming that, unlike Modern Town Mk.II, this wouldn't be a sceneario where 'it's the future of Town/Nexus but magic has decayed to the point where overtly it looks just like our world', but, instead, a world entirely of its own.

I stilll might graft another branch onto the (Drow and Brass Dragon-descended) Russkij family tree for it though.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Expressing interest, sounds like it could be a lot of fun.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

13. - Top - End - #43

Yay, interested people!

Northport sounds good. Nothing like 'This totally isn't New York' cities to muck about in. I'm a bit hesitant to define too much of the landscape and location. If I've learned anything in FFRP it's that letting things develop organically is always wise. A few pre-set starting locations is nice, but leave the bulk of the players to fill in the gaps.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Sounds like a plan. Maybe just an outline of the city, and the various districts, but little on specific locations?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, you would defiantly have Downtown, Uptown areas. Downtown being the major business corporate world area, skyscrapers and what not. Uptown would be where all the rich people live. Then you have outlying suburban area and even further outlying farmland. Then you have the docks district and the slums and you have a whole city ready for all sorts of crazy stuff that people don't notice to have fun in.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #46

Well, it looks like there's a decent reaction to the concept so I figure I'll make an OOC in the morning and we and other potential players can begin to hammer out some details.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Disregard this, ill post it in the OOC later
    Last edited by Ponderthought; 2010-09-08 at 11:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Well, it looks like there's a decent reaction to the concept so I figure I'll make an OOC in the morning and we and other potential players can begin to hammer out some details.
    I'd like to participate.

It'll be epic.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

19. - Top - End - #49

I did rather like the urban arcana idea, and it would be rather easy to settle into a newly evolving world rather than trying to fit myself into something established. I'll get to brainstorming something that's non scifi.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am here representing several means at the moment it would seem.

First of all, I am here to say that Final Fantasy ITP is, currently, dead. There was interest, but, all of it simply died down quietly, we might try our hand at it again, sometime, with the world and the story, but at the moment, the thread is to be ignored, and not resurrected by anyone interested in joining.

Secondly, I am here about Horror ITP

A horror free form, based partially on the works of lovecraft, where humans gather in the sleepy fishing town of Innocence on England's northern coast, where a deep fog rolls in every night, and on occasion, you can hear something ancient, giving out a cry, or call or sigh, that rolls in across the waves. Many strange things have happened in Innocence, and more are to come.

The RP is alive and active, although it is, currently, kinda sleepy, since I temporarily lost my abillity to type proper and long posts in a cooking accident, but as you can tell, it is getting better, and there are players still there.

And thirdly, I would like to say that this strange world of superpowered beings and regular people is being oddly intriguing to me, and from the decriptions of it, it sounds like a slightly more regulated form of the Nexus though, I would suggest injecting a healthy dose of plot as well as some sort of character restrictions, otherwise, the place might eventually be merged into The Nexus.
    I'll top the bill, I'll earn the kill, I have to find the will to carry on, with the show, with the show.

(thanks Prime for awesum avatar, and thank you to all of the original BleachItP cast, it was great RP'ing with you)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neknoh View Post
    I am here representing several means at the moment it would seem.

First of all, I am here to say that Final Fantasy ITP is, currently, dead. There was interest, but, all of it simply died down quietly, we might try our hand at it again, sometime, with the world and the story, but at the moment, the thread is to be ignored, and not resurrected by anyone interested in joining.

Secondly, I am here about Horror ITP

A horror free form, based partially on the works of lovecraft, where humans gather in the sleepy fishing town of Innocence on England's northern coast, where a deep fog rolls in every night, and on occasion, you can hear something ancient, giving out a cry, or call or sigh, that rolls in across the waves. Many strange things have happened in Innocence, and more are to come.

The RP is alive and active, although it is, currently, kinda sleepy, since I temporarily lost my abillity to type proper and long posts in a cooking accident, but as you can tell, it is getting better, and there are players still there.

And thirdly, I would like to say that this strange world of superpowered beings and regular people is being oddly intriguing to me, and from the decriptions of it, it sounds like a slightly more regulated form of the Nexus though, I would suggest injecting a healthy dose of plot as well as some sort of character restrictions, otherwise, the place might eventually be merged into The Nexus.
    Were you the person behind that idea a while back about... Stardust City, was it? All degraded and gritty and corrupt... I liked that idea.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Neither Stardust nor Ravens got past the conceptual stage and into proper character creation and interaction though, I figure those two long since dead
    I'll top the bill, I'll earn the kill, I have to find the will to carry on, with the show, with the show.

(thanks Prime for awesum avatar, and thank you to all of the original BleachItP cast, it was great RP'ing with you)

23. - Top - End - #53

The intention is that it's quite separate from the Nexus and at the moment we're hard at work creating a number of organizations, both malevolent and benevolent, that will potentially serve as a driving focus for plot.

As for character restrictions, the idea is to provide plenty of options without allowing everything. The five different types of character, (Normal, Paranormal, Xeno, Super, Fable) covers a fairly wide amount of ground while still being limited in its scope.

One of the big selling points, I think, is that normal folks without any super-powers to speak of are meant to be real players in what's going on.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys, how about Marvelitp? A FFRP set in the Marvel universe where players take control the heroes and villains (But I already called dibs on Spiderman.)
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Finger's healed nicely, HorroITP will get some more love come tomorrow, and more active players are always welcome in there as well.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

cool Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Listen guys, perhaps maybe we could make a Marvel thread on here? Players take control of marvel heroes and villains (So you could play Spiderman, or Venom, or Wolverine, etc.)
    Perhaps we would have threads for the diffent groups (So there's a Fantastic Four thread, and an X-Men thread, etc.)
    Thoughts?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

27. - Top - End - #57

The intention is that it's quite separate from the Nexus and at the moment we're hard at work creating a number of organizations, both malevolent and benevolent, that will potentially serve as a driving focus for plot.
    And there's a good reason for separation. In Nexus Norms and Supes and everyone just interact. With NPitP, you interact with everyone, but only under disguises, and there's far more plawt.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi there, all! I'm very interested in joining FFRP. :)

Let's see, rping interests... I'm a fan of all sorts of fantasy and sci-fi (what a shock that I'm in this forum ). I would like to try playing steampunk, which I've never done before. Also, any kind of space opera sci fi game would be fun. Can anyone point me in a good direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by Betropper View Post
    “Hello, my fans, look at you, now back to me, now back at you, now back to me. Sadly, you aren't me, but if you stopped using lady's scented armor and switched to O-Spice, you could smell like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a battleground with the man you could smell like. What’s your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a fist. Look again, MY FIST IS NOW DIAMOND. Anything is possible when you smell like O-Chul and not a lady. I’m on a dragon.”

29. - Top - End - #59

Hiya! It's good to see some new blood. As far as I know, there isn't a dedicated universe for space opera style or steampunk roleplay. However, you may be interested in Northport. It's a wonderful mix of classic fantasy, some sci-fi, classic folk tales, super hero elements All wraped in a modern "this totally isn't New York" type city. You should take a look in the OOC thread when you get a chance. If you don't like it there, well the Nexus would probably be your next best bet... I hope you like it here.
    Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2010-09-16 at 10:10 PM.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJRC View Post
    Hiya! It's good to see some new blood. As far as I know, there isn't a dedicated universe for space opera style or steampunk roleplay. However, you may be interested in Northport. It's a wonderful mix of classic fantasy, some sci-fi, classic folk tales, super hero elements All wraped in a modern "this totally isn't New York" type city. You should take a look in the OOC thread when you get a chance. If you don't like it there, well the Nexus would probably be your next best bet... I hope you like it here.
    Thank you so much! And man, people on this forum are fast responders! Off I go to discover Northport...
    Quote Originally Posted by Betropper View Post
    “Hello, my fans, look at you, now back to me, now back at you, now back to me. Sadly, you aren't me, but if you stopped using lady's scented armor and switched to O-Spice, you could smell like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a battleground with the man you could smell like. What’s your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s a fist. Look again, MY FIST IS NOW DIAMOND. Anything is possible when you smell like O-Chul and not a lady. I’m on a dragon.”