New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    So where i introduce my charecter? in tavern or in OOC?
    trogs, the dancing fox, black dragon,or the sleeping goblin are all suitable.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think I kinda skipped this bit >n< I've already made a character for Nexus because its similar to one of the RP's I was in on another forum. Oh, by the way, my names Hipho HI. :D
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Howdy! Yay meet thw new Goblin employee. ^

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello, Hipho, Welcome to the FFRP Subforum. If you're looking to start out in the Nexus, I would suggest throwing your character into Trog's Tavern, as it's traditional, and I believe it's even active right now. if not, I'll throw a character your way. In the meantime, I'm going to look up some of those guideline threads I know we have around here and put the links in the Nexus OOC thread for you. If you've RP'd on a board like this before, you probably have the basic idea, but they're good to look over. Cheers!

Edit: I just realized those threads are actually the first few posts of this thread. Silly me! Do look them over, though. Thanks!
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2012-01-07 at 01:23 AM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

5. - Top - End - #695

GnomeWizardGuy

Well I read the first post and ignored the tradition, though I'll be posting in Trog's soon.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

6. - Top - End - #696
    Barbarian in the Playground

Disclaimer: I'm not actually very good with introductions.

I would usually skip the big introduction thread at the top of the forum and jump straight into the OOC/IC threads, but I feel that my three-year absence from the world of free-form roleplaying makes this a pretty good starting point.

Back before all my spare time was sucked into the void of academia, I used to play lots of D&D and even a bit of White Wolf. It was around the time when 4E released that I just didn't have the time for it anymore, and the friends I used to play with sort of drifted apart after deciding they didn't like the new rule set. Thanqol, who some of you may know, was among them and he went on to play Exalted and Mage. I would have followed him, but I didn't have the time to participate in anything he was running. Those were dark times indeed.

Anyway, while I'm open to posting virtually anywhere, there are a few particular pieces of inspiration that I feel reflect my overall style and probably provide a good bearing on where I should start:

Planescape. Oh how I love wrapping my head around the bizarre metaphysics of this setting. I tend to play a lot of Tieflings because of the time I spent working with Planescape. I know the LA+1 made this more than a bit mechanically unfavorable for my favorite class, the Wizard, but there was always the Lesser Planetouched option when a DM felt merciful, and they still made for some very interesting characters when he didn't.

Fullmetal Alchemist. I read the original manga but only watched the anime in bits and pieces. Watching the new one is still on my to-do list. I enjoy magic systems and the corresponding worldviews that obey their own internally consistent set of codified laws, which was epitomized by alchemy in FMA. It might just be that I've locked myself into this view from years of studying science, but I find magic without methodology and limitations to be a little uninteresting, like some kind of all-purpose plot sealant. It might even force us to break our willing suspension of disbelief if things start getting out of hand and people start trying to magic themselves out of every bad situation. I once toyed with the idea of a setting in which each arcane spellcaster had his own theory concerning the nature of magic and even though none could reach any sort of consensus on even the the most basic underlying principles, every wizard nonetheless got positive results from spellcasting within the context of his or her own worldview. Of course, this isn't appropriate for every setting. Sometimes, magic just needs to stay mysterious.

Silent Hill 2. I love horror. Not the Steven King kind of horror in which the protagonists get pursued by slobbering movie-monsters (sorry if my generalization insulted any Steven King fans here. If it makes you feel any better, I was obsessed with the Dark Tower series for a long time), but the horror of surreality. The horror of being alone in the dark with something that hates you. I feel that the more recent games have kind of drifted away from this ideal, but that's okay. I can always replay Silent Hill 2 when I start feeling nostalgic. Honorable mention goes to the Navidson Record portion of House of Leaves.

Neuromancer. Not really a stylistic influence, but this novel (including the two that came afterward) got me totally hooked on the cyberpunk genre. This and Deus Ex were even partly responsible for a one-off research gig I took designing a MEMS-based gasdynamic laser, which is kind of embarrassing to admit. If there are any cyberpunk threads in the FFRP forum, I'd love to see them.

Lovecraft I actually don't like the Cthulhu mythos very much. I think it undermines some of the central themes in Lovecraft's literature. What I really enjoy is the baroque writing style he was so fond of, and the brooding, candlelit settings in which his stories take place. Also, the countless spinoffs by other authors are really quite enjoyable. Especially Neil Gaiman's short story, A Study In Emerald. That one's held the top spot on my Favorite Short Stories Ever list for several years, and it gets bonus points also because I'm also a huge Sherlock Holmes fan.

Studio Ghibli Films. Majestic is the word that comes to mind when I think of films like Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Nausicaa. Spirits, traditions, exotic locales, lush, sweeping hills, winding roads and adventure. Also, moving soundtracks.

Algernon Blackwood also gets an honorable mention alongside Lovecraft. In fact, he's probably one of my favorite writers of all time.

<preemptive thanks for suggestions>
    Last edited by Marcivo; 2012-01-07 at 08:09 PM.
    To see the World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello! I'm kinda new, just thought to say hi, Hi!

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcivo View Post
    Fullmetal Alchemist. I read the original manga but only watched the anime in bits and pieces. Watching the new one is still on my to-do list. I enjoy magic systems and the corresponding worldviews that obey their own internally consistent set of codified laws, which was epitomized by alchemy in FMA. It might just be that I've locked myself into this view from years of studying science, but I find magic without methodology and limitations to be a little uninteresting, like some kind of all-purpose plot sealant. It might even force us to break our willing suspension of disbelief if things start getting out of hand and people start trying to magic themselves out of every bad situation. I once toyed with the idea of a setting in which each arcane spellcaster had his own theory concerning the nature of magic and even though none could reach any sort of consensus on even the the most basic underlying principles, every wizard nonetheless got positive results from spellcasting within the context of his or her own worldview. Of course, this isn't appropriate for every setting. Sometimes, magic just needs to stay mysterious.
    There actually is an FMA RP that was started not too long ago in this section. Unfortunately it didn't really take off and is now hovering on the edge of death, but it might be at least worth a look.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2012-01-07 at 08:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #699

Quote Originally Posted by singingnoodle View Post
    Hello! I'm kinda new, just thought to say hi, Hi!
    Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    There actually is an FMA RP that was started not too long ago in this section. Unfortunately it didn't really take off and is now hovering on the edge of death, but it might be at least worth a look.
    Thanks! Also, bookmarked! I'm probably going to spend the next few days lurking while I figure out where to post, but links like that are a great start.
    To see the World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour

10. - Top - End - #700

MindFlayer

Hello, I've been kicking about these forums for a month or two after a friend invited me on here to play on one of his roleplaying games. I am interested in the Nexus roleplay. Should I first post in the sign up thread, and then the OOC thread, to figure out which thread I start in?
    "1427. It is not a race to 0 SAN."
    From Things Mr Welch is not Allowed to Do In an RPG
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey! Just post here. Maybe say hello in OOC, then post in a tavern , Trogs maybe

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

The OoC thread is the place to drop in, say hello and ask for advice about where to start, yes. Nexus Character Directory is where you put your character's sheet. There's no sign-up process for Nexus, really.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #703

MindFlayer

Thanks for the advice. I'll post over in the Nexus OOC thread then.
    "1427. It is not a race to 0 SAN."
    From Things Mr Welch is not Allowed to Do In an RPG
    Haviar the Broken Wyrd
    Ixth From The Void

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, it seems the previous Bleach games are either dead, or as good as dead. With the stagnation (or lost interest towards) other roleplays I was part of, I think I have no choice but to do something about it.

So, in case there are any players interested in building our own Gotei 13 from scratch, please take a look at this thing.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

15. - Top - End - #705
    Halfling in the Playground

There is an Eragon FFRP mentioned, but none on the list. I might attempt to make my own, using my Eragon based D and D campaign as a basis. Would anyone be interested?
    Last edited by LibrarianHuntar; 2012-01-22 at 10:56 AM.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #706

Hi im the bard in the sleeping goblin. drop in for a good time!
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

Heyyo, I've been kicking around these forums for awhile, and I thought I'd try FFRP-ing with you dudes.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Heyyo, I've been kicking around these forums for awhile, and I thought I'd try FFRP-ing with you dudes.
    Greetings and welcome.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello! All!

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Hello! Quick, it's not too late, run while you still can! What has been read cannot be unread!
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

21. - Top - End - #711

Name of Universe: Angel Beats!
    Tag: [AB!]
    Description: Set in the universe of Angel Beats, where the high school campus resides. This is before the actual storyline, so the place is filled with Not-Yet-Dead Battlefront soldiers, and Angel's still here.
    Character limitations: No Guardskills for you. You get a simple schoolgoer with a small arms weapon. Largest weapon you can get is a sniper rifle.
    Founding player(s): PallElendro
    Other notes: Feel free to die. You'll end up in the infirmary anyway.
    Style: Action, Strategic, Anime
    What makes this different from other FFRPGs? It's a large school campus with dead people with guns and a lady with impressive powers as the anti-hero.
    Founding date: 1/27/2012 (late at night, too)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

22. - Top - End - #712

I don't get it...
    Do we play a character already in the anima/manga?
    Do we make a new character?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    I don't get it...
    Do we play a character already in the anima/manga?
    Do we make a new character?
    In the AnimeitPs, it's generally an alternate universe, where the rules of the setting are the same, but all the characters are Original Characters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #714
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm a long-time FFRPer, but never before really delved into the forum aspect. I'm a quick learner, though.

I've contemplated tossing my hat in with the Nexus crowd. I'm more for one-on-one playing, or at least smaller groups (3-4)...The huge group tends to get messy. If anyone is the same way, please feel free to PM me.

I have a demoness who I'm currently quite fond of playing. She's of my own creation and own world.

So hai! :::waves:::
    My avatar Saer made by the lovely, talented Gnomish Wanderer! Thank you!

I try to check OOC thread, but I'm not terribly loyal to it. Best way to get my attention is to PM me. Harass me, please!

KCDC

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello! Welcome to FFRP!

26. - Top - End - #716
    Pixie in the Playground

Whoo! I didn't know this forum had something like this.
    I've been doing statless freeform roleplays for years now, and I always love to give something new a try... I just have to select a character.

Ok. Got one. He's built for serious RP, a Son of Anubis who has the ability to speak with ghosts. He works as a mortician (wherever that would go in the setting), and is very protective of his friends (who happen to not be living.). He also doesn't believe in his father (since he doesn't know he's actually the son of a god)
    If you know what my name is from, you have good taste in literature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes
    Violence: If it doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    "STOP PEEING ON THE SACRED ALTAR OF DOOM!" (Me)

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello Jadevamp! If you want you can send a character to a tavern around here, there's Trogs, The Dancing Fox, The Sleeping Goblin, and The Black Dragon's Den. Just introduce a charater.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Greetings and welcome. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your stay here, please don't hesitate to bring them up.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok... so how do I join in? I think I'd like to start out in the dancing fox.
    If you know what my name is from, you have good taste in literature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes
    Violence: If it doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    "STOP PEEING ON THE SACRED ALTAR OF DOOM!" (Me)

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Just walk in, describe your character, and maybe approach someone to strike up a conversation.