New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: FFRP Central: All players start here!

I think that could be very interesting, Benson.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #932
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Hauh, would anyone be up for a wild west settlers type of FFRP?

We'd essentially be commoners/settlers trying to establish a small town in a hazardous location due to deposits of gold said to be in the area. Our characters would have to contend with all sorts of nasties that live on the outskirts of town. And other things like droughts, crops not doing so well, sickness, maybe marauders who conduct random raids on the tow. etc It would be like a town building game, wild west edition.

Along with supernatural occurrences to give it that Weird West vibe as well.
    That sounds good. I'd be happy to GM all the wacky stuff and ecological/agricultural disasters, unless you want to do that yourself. I'd probably run the town doctor for my character.
    Doctor Harald avatar by MethosH

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #933
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hello, new member here; I normally go by Imp. I'm hoping to join a universe in Free-form, but I'm not sure where I'd start. I usually enjoy settings of modern or post-modern realism, but I also have a thing for fantasy-style settings. Cyberpunk and steampunk elements are normally turn-offs for me, though, since dealing too heavily with technology (above the level of modern conveniences) tends to melt my brain. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should go(other than the Nexus, as I'm sure I'll be exploring that multiverse at some point or another)?

Also, a quick question: would I be allowed to introduce an existing character that I also use elsewhere, or is that off-limits?

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have much to offer for universe suggestions, as I'm purely a Nexus player. However, i don't think there should be many issues with using an old character, depending on the universe. In something like the Nexus, they can have come straight from the place they were in before. In other universes, that might not work as well, since it might contradict the established fluff. However, there's probably little problem with cutting the character in sans their backstory. Perhaps with an altered backstory to be similar in the important ways, but make it so it fits with the universe.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    I don't have much to offer for universe suggestions, as I'm purely a Nexus player. However, i don't think there should be many issues with using an old character, depending on the universe. In something like the Nexus, they can have come straight from the place they were in before. In other universes, that might not work as well, since it might contradict the established fluff. However, there's probably little problem with cutting the character in sans their backstory. Perhaps with an altered backstory to be similar in the important ways, but make it so it fits with the universe.
    Right, of course. I was mainly refering to the characters' general designs; I figured I would need to alter their histories to match their destination universe(s). Thanks for the reminder, though, and I appreciate your input on the matter.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

Wondering if anyone would be interested in an Avatar ITP! The question of what time period and all that can be dealt with once we know there are people interested overall.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi guys. I've decided to try out some freeform RP. Mostly because I am very bored, but also partly because I want to improve my own writing and roleplaying, and this seems like a somewhat decent way to do it.
    As a player, I'm not that particular when picking settings, although I slightly prefer fantasy to other things, mostly because I am more familiar to it. I also don't like settings that are too 'dark', and would like to keep to something lighter. Otherwise, I can work with pretty much anything.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I can't speak for any other settings here, but I play in the the Nexus myself and I'm always quick to recommend it. It's not strictly fantasy, being a mishmash of stuff from various settings, but there are a lot of fantasy elements there for certain. (I personally am a fantasy guy myself.) It's generally not too dark either, though individual plots that pop up might vary.

If you're interested, poke around the OP of the out of character thread to get more info, and if you want to join go ahead and introduce yourself in that same thread.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Orc in the Playground

I've been thinking about reviving Camp Half Blood.

Consider this post a way to gauge interest.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see myself being interested, provided there are sufficient others.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

11. - Top - End - #941
    Dwarf in the Playground

Count me in.

So looking forward to the next book...

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #942
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    I've been thinking about reviving Camp Half Blood.

Consider this post a way to gauge interest.
    I have not read the books, but I have read the brief synopsis of the second post of this thread. ((That's the same thing, right? )) I would appreciate it if someone gave a brief synopsis of what kind of roleplaying would occur in it. Would there be a lot of action? Romance? Dungeons? Mystery? Would it be generally more free-form (people come up with their own plots on the fly) or more plot-predestined (Plots are discussed entirely in OoC and are already planned out from the beginning)?
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2013-08-13 at 02:30 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    I have not read the books, but I have read the brief synopsis of the second post of this thread. ((That's the same thing, right? )) I would appreciate it if someone gave a brief synopsis of what kind of roleplaying would occur in it. Would there be a lot of action? Romance? Dungeons? Mystery? Would it be generally more free-form (people come up with their own plots on the fly) or more plot-predestined (Plots are discussed entirely in OoC and are already planned out from the beginning)?
    Assuming we stay true to the actual Percy Jackson books, it would be mainly action-adventure with a bit of magic and mystery. There would be room for romance subplots between individual characters, but nothing major. I think it would be fairly free-form, but you'd have to have four players to a scene, minimum, outside of the camp itself - quests are given in groups of three, plus a DM to play the monsters. We'd also need a dedicated in-camp DM for Chiron and Dionysius, plus the dryads, nymphs and monsters in the woods as well as the gods and miscellaneous beings on Olympus (although I'd be happy to take that role myself.)

Is that thorough enough?

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #944
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDM View Post
    Assuming we stay true to the actual Percy Jackson books, it would be mainly action-adventure with a bit of magic and mystery. There would be room for romance subplots between individual characters, but nothing major. I think it would be fairly free-form, but you'd have to have four players to a scene, minimum, outside of the camp itself - quests are given in groups of three, plus a DM to play the monsters. We'd also need a dedicated in-camp DM for Chiron and Dionysius, plus the dryads, nymphs and monsters in the woods as well as the gods and miscellaneous beings on Olympus (although I'd be happy to take that role myself.)

Is that thorough enough?
    Well, I'd have Felandria as one of the people running it, ideally.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, not so sure how that would work. Assuming you don't have her just portal in from another dimension (because that really wouldn't work in this case) the councilors are probably a better group for Fel. A senior staff position seems a bit high for someone in her twenties, particularly someone with a record of being a bit...loose.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

16. - Top - End - #946
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    Well, I'd have Felandria as one of the people running it, ideally.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Eh, not so sure how that would work. Assuming you don't have her just portal in from another dimension (because that really wouldn't work in this case) the councilors are probably a better group for Fel. A senior staff position seems a bit high for someone in her twenties, particularly someone with a record of being a bit...loose.
    Talking IC, there are no senior staff positions except Dionysius and Chiron. The councillors are the closest rank you can attain at Camp Half-Blood, and Felandria would, by default, be the councillor for the Zeus cabin because children of Zeus are so rare.

Talking OOC, which is not what was intended but I need to bring up anyway, we do need senior members of the CHB setting. I suggest Felandria (who brought up the whole resurrecting-CHB thing anyway), and myself, as I'm really good on Greek, Roman and Egyptian mythology etc.

I'd probably take on IC disputes on monsters, their powers, equipment of both monsters and heroes, and OOC disputes on what powers demigods can have. That would leave Fel with anything else OOC, camp NPCs and events etc.

Also - are we keeping it Greek only, or are we including Romans? Do we add the Egyptians as well? Are we resurrecting the old CHB or using it as a base for a new one? How much are we going to change? Should we find the old threads or just start new ones unaided?

And talking of threads - what settings will we need? I've got this list so far:

1. OOC (to be created at the start)
    2. Camp(s) (to be created at the start, depending on whether we decide to include or leave out Camp Jupiter and the 21st Nome)
    3. Questing (to be created at the first quest)
    4. Olympus (to be created at the first visit to Olympus)
    Last edited by GrandDM; 2013-08-14 at 10:18 AM.

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #947

Is that thorough enough?
    Yup - that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I could make a character for it. It might be fun.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Orc in the Playground

Talking IC, there are no senior staff positions except Dionysius and Chiron. The councillors are the closest rank you can attain at Camp Half-Blood, and Felandria would, by default, be the councillor for the Zeus cabin because children of Zeus are so rare.

Talking OOC, which is not what was intended but I need to bring up anyway, we do need senior members of the CHB setting. I suggest Felandria (who brought up the whole resurrecting-CHB thing anyway), and myself, as I'm really good on Greek, Roman and Egyptian mythology etc.

I'd probably take on IC disputes on monsters, their powers, equipment of both monsters and heroes, and OOC disputes on what powers demigods can have. That would leave Fel with anything else OOC, camp NPCs and events etc.

Also - are we keeping it Greek only, or are we including Romans? Do we add the Egyptians as well? Are we resurrecting the old CHB or using it as a base for a new one? How much are we going to change? Should we find the old threads or just start new ones unaided?

And talking of threads - what settings will we need? I've got this list so far:

1. OOC (to be created at the start)
    2. Camp(s) (to be created at the start, depending on whether we decide to include or leave out Camp Jupiter and the 21st Nome)
    3. Questing (to be created at the first quest)
    4. Olympus (to be created at the first visit to Olympus)
    I agree with all of this.

I'd say start new threads.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't. Why would you need so many threads? Nexus needs separate location threads because it's huge and has tons of players. With a game that will likely have less than ten and few PCs per player, you shouldn't need more than 1 IC thread for a while.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wouldn't. Why would you need so many threads? Nexus needs separate location threads because it's huge and has tons of players. With a game that will likely have less than ten and few PCs per player, you shouldn't need more than 1 IC thread for a while.
    I was trying to think ahead. I'm hoping it will get fairly popular, but fair point.

Also, I made threads!

OOC here
    IC here
    Character Directory here
    Last edited by GrandDM; 2013-08-15 at 05:07 AM.

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that? That's not cool. The whole point of the series is to be modern. More importantly, you don't get to just make big decisions like that without asking the other players, that's a BIG change. My interest just went from High to Zilch if you keep that.

Edit: plus, keeping the limit is not only oddly lore-breaking but OoC mean since Fel organizing it would mean that no one ever in this game can ever pick Zeus. Ever. Don't limit player choices when you could just ask then nicely to not be OP.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2013-08-15 at 05:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, that? That's not cool. The whole point of the series is to be modern. More importantly, you don't get to just make big decisions like that without asking the other players, that's a BIG change. My interest just went from High to Zilch if you keep that.

Edit: plus, keeping the limit is not only oddly lore-breaking but OoC mean since Fel organizing it would mean that no one ever in this game can ever pick Zeus. Ever. Don't limit player choices web you could just ask then nicely to not be OP.
    I actually agree with both of those points. I'll change that now. Not sure what I was thinking...

Then again, I probably wasn't.
    Last edited by GrandDM; 2013-08-15 at 05:43 AM.

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ettin in the Playground

Howdy all,

Wandered over to this site again, I've been to it before in the past to read the comics and surfed through the boards, but never actually made an account.

I've been freeform roleplaying in the playbypost areas of the WotC boards for years, so I may dabble in it here.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

24. - Top - End - #954

I've been thinking of starting up an RP in the Animorphs universe. Set in the future, maybe fifty years or so after the end of the final book. The Animorphs are historical figures now, household names. The Andalites, Hork-Bajir, morphed Taxxons, and humans have managed to stabilize their situation; the anti-alien terrorists have either all been killed or forced into hiding long ago.

And now humans have made an incredible breakthrough. Something that astounded the Andalite scientists and worried Andalite generals.

Humans managed to figure out how to create their own Escafil devices.

Now that they've perfected morphing technology, humankind has decided to launch another colony ship. Not a new concept, they've been doing such things for thirty years at least. But this colony ship, the Animorph, will be the first colony ship to be manned entirely by morph-capable species. Mostly humans, but with some Andalites and Hork-Bajir.

The RP would follow the ship as it makes its way through space and eventually, to an alien planet for colonization.

Anyone interested?
    I run the Five Gems campaign, where ponies, griffons, and changlings search for five mystical gems to unlock the vault to the mighty Crown of the Griffon King.
    IC thread

OOC thread

If you like DC, Marvel, and Worm, check out Invincible, wherein Emma Barnes triggers with the Kryptonian package.
    If you enjoy Self-Inserts, Worm, and/or Mistborn, check out Preservation.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Got a quick question about keeping up (and helping others keep up) with my Nexus character's plot. I hope this is the proper place to ask; I've looked around, and I haven't found any place more suitable for it.

I've noticed that posts relevant to my character and others interacting with him are scattered across multiple pages of his current location's thread (Outside XXXVI), mostly because there's quite a bit of activity there with other players and plots. I've considered making a kind of central log to keep track of relevant posts as his plot progresses, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I can think of three possible ways to manage these posts, each one having some benefits and drawbacks:

1. Make a new post in the Nexus Character Directory thread and add links to relevant posts via editing as they're made.
    2. Create a new FFRP thread dedicated to tracking my character's plot, using individual posts to keep track of related interactions.
    3. Use some kind of off-site hosting service (a la Google Docs) to keep a list of posts.

What would be the best course of action? If anyone has any suggestions for a solution outside these three options, I'd be happy to hear them, especially if examples are included.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you'd be the only person to do that, as far as I'm aware. Most of us just sift through and find the recent posts, but that only works if you're on frequently. I do think it might be worthwhile if you get more characters, depending on how good you are at keeping track of where they all are.

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

There are several options (but first I'll say that you'll get more responses if you post in the Nexus OOC thread since it's Nexus specific).

Most players just get used to working around other people's plots, but sometimes one or another thread will just get really busy. This especially happens when a 2 person roleplay is happening, as a pair of roleplayers on at the same time will fill up pages very quickly.

Any of the options you've suggested are fine for tracking links, if that's what you want to do, but that sounds like it could get really tedious in time - particularly if you used something off site. You might find it easier to move your plot to another thread and have the posts there.

You can use the Random Plots or Serious Plots thread - you'll still be sharing it with other plots, but it won't be as busy as the Outside thread. Or you can make your own thread called 'ImpSyndrome's Plots' where plots you manage will go. The disadvantage to your own thread is that it's unlikely people who aren't in the plot will read it (if that's important to you).
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    Got a quick question about keeping up (and helping others keep up) with my Nexus character's plot. I hope this is the proper place to ask; I've looked around, and I haven't found any place more suitable for it.

I've noticed that posts relevant to my character and others interacting with him are scattered across multiple pages of his current location's thread (Outside XXXVI), mostly because there's quite a bit of activity there with other players and plots. I've considered making a kind of central log to keep track of relevant posts as his plot progresses, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I can think of three possible ways to manage these posts, each one having some benefits and drawbacks:

1. Make a new post in the Nexus Character Directory thread and add links to relevant posts via editing as they're made.
    2. Create a new FFRP thread dedicated to tracking my character's plot, using individual posts to keep track of related interactions.
    3. Use some kind of off-site hosting service (a la Google Docs) to keep a list of posts.

What would be the best course of action? If anyone has any suggestions for a solution outside these three options, I'd be happy to hear them, especially if examples are included.
    I would recommend asking this kind of Nexus particular question int he Nexus OoC thread rather than here. Though i suppose this question could pertain to other games, since you are a Nexus player you'd be better off checking the thread more people will be looking at (aka the Nexus OoC).

As for your question, I will say you should definitely not make a new thread for it. The Nexus has quite a few threads already, adding more for something that could be tracked in a better way is just adding clutter.

And the Character Directory might be a bad idea too, as this is outside of its intended purpose and it's often going to be used by you alone.

So I think your third option is the best if you feel you need this. Using some external way of documenting it, like Google Docs as you suggested.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

First of all, let me say that I really appreciate the quick responses to my question. I really appreciate all the advice I've been offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    I would recommend asking this kind of Nexus particular question int he Nexus OoC thread rather than here. Though i suppose this question could pertain to other games, since you are a Nexus player you'd be better off checking the thread more people will be looking at (aka the Nexus OoC).
    I considered that, but despite my only character being played in the Nexus, my question was meant to establish some understanding of a general standard of conduct for any FFRP, not just the Nexus. Still, I'm glad you picked that out, because I sure could've used a better choice of words in my question.

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Or you can make your own thread called 'ImpSyndrome's Plots' where plots you manage will go. The disadvantage to your own thread is that it's unlikely people who aren't in the plot will read it (if that's important to you).
    That's not really a concern for me at the moment, but I was worried that it'd be rather pointless, considering that I have only one established character and that he's engaged in a single set of events right now.

I do think it might be worthwhile if you get more characters, depending on how good you are at keeping track of where they all are.
    Honestly, I'm not that good at it, and I hate having to go back six or seven pages just to get from one relevant post to another. Hopefully, this will help me keep track of things so my actions in-context can remain more coherent.

It sounds like my best bet will be to keep track of these posts off-site; I'll probably end up just making a list of URLs to relevant posts in a text document or something and breaking it out if I need to provide references or if I want to double-check previous actions or conversations. Thanks again for the advice; it's encouraging to see just how supportive this community is of its members, especially for a newbie like me.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Halfling in the Playground

There's also the Nexus Digest, where Reinholdt has been posting OoC updates about his variety of characters. You could use something like that.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show