New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

biggrin I Made A (Foxy) Thing!

I finally got my grubby little paws on a fox skin*, and made my first collar out of it. Judge away.

*Australian feral fox, wild-killed and a pest.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2013-06-24 at 11:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: I Made A (Foxy) Thing!

Very foxy indeed; I doubt Tectonic Robot and Gnomish Wanderer would approve.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

It looks great
    I do have a question though: is the blue thing-a-ma-jig glowing or are my sleepy eyes messing with me?

4. - Top - End - #4

Heh. It's the opalite. It has that weird effect. No, it's not actually glowing, but it does tend to look like it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Heh. It's the opalite. It has that weird effect. No, it's not actually glowing, but it does tend to look like it.
    Okay, making sure xD
    Either way, it adds to the overall awesomeness of it

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Cool! I can't help but wonder, though, if it could look even better with some form of rope or ribbon sewn onto the edges to frame it in. It's not granted that it actually would, though. Since the edges would be partially covered by fur, it could actually take away from the effect rather than add to it...

And is that a fox carved into the opalite, or did I just fail the Rorschach test big time? Yeah, I know that's not how the Rorschach test works, but shush.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally I don't like it. But then, I've always considered fur as best used to trim or line another garment or otherwise used in larger pieces. To me, it look so very strange for there to be a fur collar that isn't part of something else.
    Then again, this could all be because I'm boring and old fashioned when it comes to material selection.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Cool! I can't help but wonder, though, if it could look even better with some form of rope or ribbon sewn onto the edges to frame it in. It's not granted that it actually would, though. Since the edges would be partially covered by fur, it could actually take away from the effect rather than add to it...
    That would be tricky. Honestly not sure whether I could do it, but I'll consider trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    And is that a fox carved into the opalite, or did I just fail the Rorschach test big time? Yeah, I know that's not how the Rorschach test works, but shush.
    That is indeed what it is! I have another, smaller fox pendant - this one's obsidian, and vertical rather than horizontal like this one, and the shape of a sitting fox rather than a fox carved into the rectancle - which I prefer and wanted to use instead. The hole that's drilled into it, though, is done weird, on a right angle, so I can't get any cord through. I guess I'll work something out eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Then again, this could all be because I'm boring and old fashioned when it comes to material selection.
    Possibly Or maybe it just sucks *shrug* No one's offered to buy it yet, even for less than cost (for being my first attempt)...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... yeah, this needs to be part of something bigger. Fur is a accenting element. It doesn't stand on its own.

(Ie, what if you were to make this a full neck warmer?)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

10. - Top - End - #10

A full neckwarmer?
    I imagine it, btw, being worn with something like a corset, or something turtlenecked.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Something turtlenecked would certainly help, yeah. (A neckwarmer being pretty much just a cloth tube you pull over your head and arange around your neck for the colder days. Having a fur rim on that could work nicely.)

Meanwhile, I'm not into the gem at all. It's too big for its purpose. >_>

(But then again, gems and fur in general... I can't quite tell how those two go together in a nice way. Maybe a dreamcatcher type?)
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2013-06-26 at 02:01 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

12. - Top - End - #12

I agree with you on the pendant. Like I said, I have another, much smaller one I like more but I couldn't it it working for my practice piece.