New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: D&D Snippets

1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: D&D Snippets

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    I think more things should go crawling through your vents, you write good when you're freaked out
    haha. noooooooooooooooooo thank you.

I dislike being freaked out. I'm paranoid enough as it is...

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am horribly sad that my 'net wifey has nothing for my Glory snippet, the sequel to Steel Song T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #513
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heh, sorry about that, Lady Moreta, I tend to write vignettes in the middle, and, as such, tend not to account for people not knowing the fluff in question. As such, I do apologise. The run on sentence may very well need editing, but pretty much the whole thing is him thinking, and the bits in brackets are sort of asides, calculations he's just throwing off, because that's what a Warforged does instinctively.

Anyways, yeah, the Inspired are basically Quori possessed/dominated humans (both cases can be true, and the two are lumped together under the one banner) who are almost constantly trying to a) expand Riedra to encompass the world, and b) bring the plane of Dal Quor back into a coterminous state with Eberron, and thus bring about another invasion of the Quori, those freaky dream entities that make little sense. So the group is hired to stop a group of Inspired from destroying one of the artefacts keeping Dal Quor far away, plane wise.

Of course, the problem is, that, either way, Zhaum loses out on some knowledge... A deified concept he worships.

Will post some snippets while I can, but I has electricity problems, so I might not be able to post today. X-Com idea just isn't working out, so I might go back to my comfort zone of nWoD and other games I know well... although the idea of a HOL snippet just occurred to me, and the challenge of making it uniquely HOL, while still following the rules... it amuses me. Probably won't do it, but still...
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"
    - Darkpuppy, on Wizards in his DnD games.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

All The Kings Men IC (DEAD)
    All The Kings Men OOC (DEAD)

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I am horribly sad that my 'net wifey has nothing for my Glory snippet, the sequel to Steel Song T_T
    Give me that critique of my Lyra snippet you promised and I'll see

Quote Originally Posted by darkpuppy View Post
    Heh, sorry about that, Lady Moreta, I tend to write vignettes in the middle, and, as such, tend not to account for people not knowing the fluff in question. As such, I do apologise.
    Perhaps my wording wasn't quite right... It's not completely clear what's going on, regardless of how much/little is known by the reader about the setting. You're right, I don't know a huge amount about Eberron, but these are a person's thoughts. They should be clearer and more coherent than they are (and yes I realise that sometimes clear and coherent thought won't be in character, but here it's clear that your character is very erudite). It's a little hard to follow in places because the writing isn't making the thought patterns clear, not because I don't know much about the Eberron setting.

Quote Originally Posted by darkpuppy View Post
    The run on sentence may very well need editing, but pretty much the whole thing is him thinking, and the bits in brackets are sort of asides, calculations he's just throwing off, because that's what a Warforged does instinctively.
    It does, trust me. The first sentence I quote needs editing quite badly, because as I already said, it makes no sense. As far as I can tell, it isn't even a complete sentence. Knowing about the setting won't help anyone read it because it just doesn't make sense. And just because an entire snippet is someone thinking, that doesn't mean it needs to be full of run-on sentences. Most people think in complete or near-complete sentences. I imagine a warforged like this would be even more precise in how he thinks. I'll say the same thing I said to Teej a while ago - you use too many commas. Commas are good for brief punctuation, but they can easily be overused. If you want to depict long, rambling thoughts, break out the full arsenal of punctuations pauses. Use commas, semi-colons, dashes/hyphens (I can never remember which is which). You could even depict long rambling thoughts by using lots of short sentences. One sentence for each thought, then have the character berate themselves for letting their mind wander.

I realise the whole thing is him thinking and the brackets are just asides, I said that. My point was that it would be easier to read and flow better if they were in italics, rather than brackets. Brackets are designed for providing extra information that isn't vital but can still be helpful. This guy is simply thinking, the asides aren't vital or necessarily 'helpful' - in the sense that they don't add any sort of explanatory feature to the rest of his thoughts - they are, as we've both said, asides, little extra thoughts that have popped up in the course of his musings, but aren't in fact related to the main issue at hand.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this. You did a great job of getting into the warforged's head and showing his motivations and thoughts - and overall I did understand what it was he was thinking about and deciding. It just required a little bit of guess work on my part, that, considering how good and well-expounded the rest of the snippet was, I assumed the reader shouldn't have needed guess work at all - regardless of how well they knew the setting.

EDIT: Adding in another review!

Lord_Gareth:

Spoiler
    Show
    Fine net-hubby… here’s a review be aware, you’re only getting it because I’m at work, have nothing to do and I’m bored. And I don’t know why I’m bothering – besides “this is really fantastic” I don’t know what else to say!

So I’ll nitpick instead

One of them, a sorcerer or arcanist or whatever mortals call them, chanted and unleashed a wave of crashing thunder that deafened the Tanar'ri ranks, driving them back from the sheer sonic force of it, and their priest invoked the name of some wretched god of light and turned the front ranks of the demons into ash.
    This is a loooooong sentence. Not really a run-on sentence, since it makes perfect sense and does flow pretty well, but it’s rather long and I find myself running out of breath at the end of it. And yes, I know I’m reading it in my head, so how could I possibly run out of breath? I read as if I were reading aloud and I can tell I’d run out of breath by the end of this sentence. I would either break it into two, have the sorcerer’s actions in one and the priest in another. Or at the very least, I’d change that last comma (the one before you go into what the priest is doing) into a semi-colon. It gives the reader a bit of a pause, time to digest what they’ve just read, before going on.

I do have one question though – why did you give each speaker a different format? Italics, underline etc… it isn’t necessary and quite frankly, I find it really distracting. You shouldn’t need different formats to differentiate between speakers, if the story doesn’t make that clear itself, then it needs to be rewritten. Having said that, your story does make it clear who is speaking, which means I really don’t understand why you’ve done it.

"Gods damn it Francis, you aren't invincible like you think you are!"
    Don’t ask me why, because I’m not sure, but something bugs me about this sentence. I think it’s the word ‘like’ – but I can’t fathom why I find it so jarring. It’s a perfectly well-constructed sentence, even without the description of the woman speaking I can hear the desperation in it and the fear. And I don’t have any suggestion on how it could be re-worded it just – bugs me. I think it’s down to the usual meaning of the word – to enjoy, love, be happy with etc… it doesn’t seem to fit the desperation. I don’t know, now I’m just talking crap.

As for the rest – I adore Brintari - he’s out of his depth and happy to acknowledge it, but still stubbornly determined to stay and watch. I love his opinionated way of thinking/talking – the comments about demon stupidity, how fast Francis moved. You do a great job of showing us that this guy is a – well, a devil I’m guessing, but not-of-this-world in essence. His confusion about the ‘half-breed’, the way he keeps insisting that Francis couldn’t possibly have moved that fast.

Your descriptions, especially of the fighting ‘hurricane’, ‘like a god’, with the ‘white, white smile’ are excellent as always. You have a real gift for writing fight scenes, I’m quite jealous. And the way you characterise people in such a short space of time and words – it’s just brilliant. I love

"If there can be no victory," he whispered, clutching a dozen bleeding wounds, "then I will fight forever!"
    Just wonderful. I think this is my new favourite of yours.

There. Are you happy now? :-P
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2011-06-28 at 10:52 PM. Reason: adding another review

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

so my DM recently ordered a module
    the red claw or something or other.

I get to play Krunch in it.

snippets shall be coming aplenty then mwuahahahahahahahaha

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Yay! Someone posted! I had a couple of things I wanted to post, but didn't want to re-edit my last post because things tend not to get noticed when I do that and that makes me sad

Anyway, below is the backstory x2 of a character I made for a game that may or may not yet go ahead. It's a horror premise, and we were asked to make two backstories - one public and one private. I whipped up two first-person backstories and then a longer third person private version. I'm really looking to get impressions on what type of person she seems to be. I have an idea in my mind of what type of person she's meant to be, I'm curious as to whether or not I've succeeded.

So... Dena Sorbonne

First-Person Public Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am so sick of being thrown out of places. Villages, cities, towns, it doesn’t seem to matter they just throw me straight out. I am so sick of being misunderstood. This time I was genuinely trying to help. I’ll admit, sometimes my – enthusiasm gets the better of me. Is it so wrong to have a love for knowledge? Perhaps I should have been more careful. Okay, I’ll admit, I definitely should have been more careful. I didn’t mean to kill anyone! It was an accident! They ran me out. Just about killed me.

I wish they had. Now I have to live with the knowledge of what I’ve done. I won’t let that poor soul have died for nothing. I’ll practice more. I’ll learn more. There has to be some knowledge out there that will prevent this from ever happening again.

First-Person Private Backstory
    TBA

Third-Person Private Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dena was born and raised in the farming town of Dunaic. From the moment of her birth, suspicion arose directed at Dena. Her parents both shared the dark skin and eyes of everyone in the village. Through some genetic oddity, Dena’s skin was chalk-white and remained that way for the rest of her life. The only thing that prevented her being completely ostracised was the fact that her parents insisted that she was in no way illegitimate.

It was quite likely this that started Dena down her road. Knowing she was different from a young age, curiosity became her only companion. She was determined to understand why, if her parents were indeed her parents, she should look so different. The only physical feature she shared with either of her parents was the dark, blue-black hair she got from her mother.

Dena’s maternal grandfather had been a wizard and there were some few of his spell books and other research material in the house. As Dena got older, she began to read these books and discovered within herself an insatiable appetite for knowledge of the arcane. She was so voracious that she soon outstripped the information gathered within her grandfather’s notes and she began experimenting in order to learn more. After her parents caught her using her own blood in these experiments they insisted on some rules. It was decided that since Dena was so curious she could learn at the feet of the town mage and priests.

Dmane, the head priest, introduced her to the worship of XYZ, the god of knowledge. Dena however, found the concept of knowledge far more worthy of reverence and respect than any mere god. For surely, a god could only know that which fell within its own purview; even a god of knowledge could be limited. But she had no such constraints. Still, Dena found a waning enthusiasm fired by this new approach to learning and she devoured the tomes on magic and the working of spells.

Eventually however, she found that her curiosity and desire to know outstripped what people were willing to teach her. Frustrated by what she saw as a deliberate attempt to keep information from her, Dena resorted to thievery. She stole a few of the more obscure tomes from the town’s temple and the mage’s library and hid them at her parents’ home. From this point on, Dena’s fate was sealed.

Once the priests, the mage and her parents realised what she had done, the house was searched and the books were removed. At this point the townspeople started avoiding Dena, beginning to feel that her desire for knowledge was dangerous and that some information is simply too dangerous. Children were told to avoid her and some families moved out of the neighbourhood.

Dena saw all this as attempts to thwart her by people who simply didn’t understand her. She knew the townspeople had never really accepted her, even her skin colour was wrong. She became more and more frustrated and upset and withdrew into a shell, rarely leaving the house and instead muttering phrases and badly worded spells over and over in the hopes that something might happen.

And then something did happen. Someone came to her. At the time, Dena wasn’t sure what the creature was (and to tell the truth, she still isn’t positive). They came and offered her the knowledge she sought and the understanding she craved. More than that however, they seemed to understand Dena herself. For the first time, someone accepted her for who she was. And as a gift, they gave her the power to fire eldritch energy, as long as her will was strong enough to control it. For days the smell of sulphur lingered in the house as Dena practiced this new ability. And the experiments started again. A bit of blood here and there. A piece of the kitchen table carefully slivered off. A lock of her mother’s hair snipped while she slept. But soon it wasn’t enough; there wasn’t enough variety within her small family circle. Dena needed more.

Always aware that among the youngest of the townsfolk, she had a certain mystique that was appealing, Dena used it to her advantage. She was always very careful and indeed she had no wish to cause real hurt to anyone. The creature who had come to her had warned her of appearing overly enthusiastic at the thought of other’s pain – and indeed, he had said, pain was not the purpose. Pain was merely an unfortunate side affect. And so Dena was careful, wherever she hurt, she was sure to heal as well.

But rumours abound, especially in small towns, and it wasn’t long before people began to wonder where the small wounds on their children were coming from. It was however, difficult to prove Dena was behind it. Like all naughty children, they were reluctant to admit they had been breaking the rules and would come up with all sorts of stories to avoid admitting they had been with the lady they weren’t supposed to be around.

Dena never knew what the final straw was. She suspected someone spying on her, suspicious of her activities. Perhaps Dmane, perhaps the town mage, perhaps the town guard. The creature came back from time to time, to teach, to see what she had learned. Dena suspected someone had seen them together, for it wasn’t long after one of his visits that the town rose up together and threw her out.

It was the start of a trend. Dena walked until she found a caravan heading in the opposite direction. Careful to avoid any mention of her quest for knowledge and understanding, or of her growing arcane abilities, she took passage with them til she reached a new town. And then she began again. And again. Continuously unable to understand why no one seems to understand why knowledge is so important, Dena learns what she can, does what she can, and remains one step ahead of angry townsfolk when they decide they’ve had enough.

Eventually she learned to mask her true intentions. She began to tell others she sought knowledge to save lives. To make work easier, to make life better. When others say that some knowledge is too dangerous, she points out that there will always be those who seek knowledge in order to do harm. And sometimes, the only way to fight fire, is with fire. She seeks this information in order to protect and defend against those who would use it for more – nefarious purposes. And if she happens to gain a little extra measure of magic in the process – so much the better!

In truth, she is far more pragmatic than that. Dena avoids killing because it would make her a target. Besides, there is no point in spilling gallons of blood when only a pint is needed. She is very careful not to waste her resources.
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2011-07-15 at 01:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lady Moreta, the first two you posted are identical.

The concept sounds like a lot of fun, though! What is she? "Eldritch energy" sounds like a warlock, but it seems her abilities are far less limited.
    There are thousands of good reasons magic doesn't rule the world. They're called mages. - Slightly misquoted Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

... I'm a moron *facepalm*

uh-oh... phew... okay... just had a sudden horrible thought I'd posted the private backstory and sent the DM the public one. Nope, looks like I sent the DM the public one by mistake. The two are almost identical, just a few thoughts changed to show what she's really thinking.

And yes, she's a warlock - any extra abilities she seems to have are entirely the fault of me not knowing the class that well and struggling to write a character so very different from myself.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Intriguing...

I feel that I could actually sort-of relate to the character a bit.

I know something I personally struggled with for a long time was an insatiable curiosity. I wanted to know things, and the consequences of what it took to learn them be damned.

it's a wonderful and terrible experience.
    but I digress.

I'm tempted to start lurking on the pbp that this character is for. she sounds very interesting to observe.

...-takes a look at post-

well would ye look at that?
    I finally managed to review something again.

now if I can just get something of my own posted....

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Thank you

If the game ever gets going, I'll give you the link so you can read along

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

inspiration has struck....

coming soon: the high-flying adventures of guy-I-haven't-named-yet. and his fighter-bomber Wyvern mount!

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Prince Lelk and the Field of Holes

Hey everyone, time for yet another story of Lelk, the elf rogue prince.

this story's guests are:

Miley, the elf ranger
    Derek the tiefling cleric
    Tiny, the ogre barbarian npc, very stupid. (thats my nickname for it, cause I can't remember its real name, or the DM forgot to name it)

Some background info: this story is sort of here because of a previous story where Lelk was on his own without any other PCs, and almost died three times facing the same mine all three times, at the end he blew it up with dynamite.

Now it seems the blown up mine had gone crater-y and now there are various horrors digging up from the deeps, apparently they didn't like it when Lelk did that.

Lelk, Derek and Miley and Tiny had all been drafted into some force to fight the horrors digging out see?
    So we go ahead of the main force like proper PCs to investigate what we were facing. Along the way we smelled some horrid gas leaking from the ground.

Then we found what was digging out: a bunch of little flying things, now none
    of us in the party are exactly what these things are, I imagine them to be black spherical things with bat wings, a big toothy mouth and red eyes, Miley imagines them to be tiny flying fat dragons, and Derek imagined them to be big bees. To this day we are still unsure exactly what they are, the DM wa vague about it.
    however I called them "Mites" and the name stuck.

Anyways, we look at the Mites, they didn't seem to be doing anything threatening us but they are kinda horrors that could pose a threat in large numbers, I suggested that we burn them all, Miley and Derek said no, cause the horrid gas would catch fire and incinerate everyone in the field of holes including ourselves.
    So I then decided to simply catch one of them to study them. Derek and Miley agreed that this was more reasonable.

so we rustled up some nets, the first two attempts by me and Derek fail. Then Miley catches one- but imperfectly, the net acting more as lasso and not getting the Mites wings, thus causing it to flying about and drag Miley along with it. She comes close to falling into one of the holes, but makes her reflex save and doesn't.
    Meanwhile this lassoing gives me the idea to round up a bunch of Mites into a flying Mite-Raft. The DM shot down this idea since apparently Mites can't work together that well, so I instead opted to make a Mite-Mace, to capture one of the Mites in my net, then tear off its wings and use the Mite wrapped in the net as a mace-and-chain of course.
    I roll a 20 and 14, success, I got my Mite-Mace.

However Derek sees something bad happening, makes Tiny pick up Miley and starts running away. I follow them yelling why Derek and Tiny was kidnapping Miley. Then Tiny, Derek and Miley all fall into a hole, stuck.
    They soon get out of the hole, but now the Mites are swarming at us for some reason, maybe it because of Miley or because of me, I don't know.

Next thing I know, we are running from the Mite-Swarm, we get separate going in different ways around the holes, i jump over them, Miley goes around them, Derek goes some other place with tiny following him towards some hills.
    Me and Miley meet up, we go to Derek, along the way we see the main force engaging the Mite Swarm and despite killing the Mites 4 to 1, are losing cause the Mites keep appearing from the holes.

So on top of a hill, we decided to burn them all like I originally suggested.
    Miley takes out her bow, I my electric dagger, I put the dagger right under the arrow shaft and when the arrow is let loose the friction causes sparks to catch fire on the arrow shaft, the arrow goes into a hole, ignites a huge inferno, then proceeds to burn the entire Field of Holes, and the valley we came through, the Mite Swarm and the soldiers on our side fighting them
    Then an explosion happens and sonic boom sounds out for some reason.

Lelk thinks the sight glorious and dedicates a new song to it, the title: Explosive Hallelujah.

After that, we wait a few days to for the fires to die down, in that time Miley levels up and tames a pet eagle, and I call it "Polly", though thats not the eagles real name. We spend a few more days trying to find the camp we came from where a wizard council is held. I try to persuade the wizards to lend one of the wizards to help us investigate the holes further, just to make sure that we have killed everything, but I roll a 10, not persuasive enough, a little old man tries to stand up and protest but I start interrupting him over and over again, the others of the group calling what I'm doing "filibustering", keep myself talking so that the debate cannot be closed.
    While I filibuster, the other two members of my group go around taking wizards aside and asking them for help, eventually get one wizard to help us.

Then we go out into the now burnt Field of Holes to see if anything is left, but its getting dark.
    We go around searching, we do some discussion then we decide that we have to go into the holes to find out if anything is there.
    Then the ground starts crawling underneath us. I start singing the screaming song, Miley draws her bow, Derek starts edging away. I suggest we go down into the holes immediately thinking that the Field of Holes in some sort of giant mechanism or big beast's back that I burned, we did go but it was a dead end and we soon ran out of it.

Then a giant worm bursts out of one of the holes, it soars through the air and burrows again.
    I go up to one of the holes the worm bursts out of it, I grab one of Mileys arrows, leap on top of the worm, use the same trick to ignite the arrow like before, then throw it into the hole the worm would be diving into to incinerate it, face first.
    However it didn't work cause I didn't roll well, the gas in the holes for some reason was "stuck" and would ignite like when it was above ground. I then jump off the worm.

So then we decide to start running, we didn't go far before the worm came up again and decided to start attacking us.
    Miley shoots her bow at it, does some damage, Derek uses some cleric spell to daze it, I go up to it and sneak attack it, dealing more damage, however the worm soon starts thrashing around and I get critical'd, a whopping 21 points of damage, putting me down to 3 hp. I keep fighting.
    Miley does more damage with her bow, the ogre barbarian is still useless.
    Derek heals some of my damage- to 8 hp, not much better- but then gets knocked down to negatives, meaning the healer is out and we have limited turns to kill this thing.

So I sneak attack again, Miley shoots he bow again, Tiny deals a hit, then I finally finish it off with a normal attack with my electric dagger.

However, Derek was still in need of stabilizing.
    So first, Miley tries to heal him, her being the highest wis score and heal skill she fails.
    So then, I try to heal him with only a +1 Wis modifier. I fail.
    Then, Tiny the ogre barbarian, the stupidest guy in the world, with a -1 to this, rolls a 19 and succeeds.
    You read me right, a freaking stupid ogre barbarian healed him.

we of course gone back to camp, I start singing Explosive Hallelujah with a couple of lines about how I slayed a worm, Miley thinks that she did more damage and that she slay it, tries to thwack me with the flat of a sword blade for being an idiot, but gets such a bad roll, that she accidentally cuts me for 6 damage on the edge, putting me down to 2 hp, meaning if Derek hadn't healed me, I would be dead then.

Then we had a fight with some wolves while traveling, and I actually used my Mite-Mace and it was good.

At the end of the session, The DM ruled I get 500 exp for being stabbed for singing a song. There was also a lot of jokes about my character being suicidally overconfident during that session.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I forgot I hadn't mentioned how funny this is!

Love the story - it's wonderfully hilarious

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

best part of all- all these stories are true, I am not making any of this up.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    best part of all- all these stories are true, I am not making any of this up.
    Oh I believe you

I'm almost jealous that my games don't produce such entertaining absurdities

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Oh I believe you

I'm almost jealous that my games don't produce such entertaining absurdities
    well all it really required is some boldness and a good DM with a sense of humor. none of that would've ever really come about if we'd played it safe. but then again... it requires the "good dm with a sense of humor" part.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Guess what! I wrote something!

After about a month's hiatus for various reasons, our RL group finally got together yesterday and had a good old gaming session. It was awesome This little gem comes courtesy of my DM and the evil teleporting fog (we've been playing this game for almost three years and this is the first time we've ever been in a stereotypical D&D dungeon full of traps. It's - turning into a bit of a struggle).

Hang on Silver!
    or Teleport's Not Meant to Work That Way!

Spoiler
    Show
    “Don’t get hit by the coin,” Rifus spoke with a customary malicious glee that had both Nera and I indulging in our customary clip on the head – coordinated and entirely unintentional. As usual, Tanc managed to ignore him with customary dignity and stepped out onto the rickety bridge – though I couldn’t help but be amused to notice that he was casting his gaze around for the small copper coin that was teleporting madly around this fog-filled cavern.

As I watched Tanc make his cautious way across the kobold-constructed bridge, I marvelled again at how such a big man could be so graceful. And it wasn’t easy to be graceful while negotiating a wildly swaying bridge built by kobolds and presumably not designed to carry the weight of a man as big as Tanc. Still, there was a reason he always went first and this was it. If it held his weight, it would hold ours. That didn’t stop the three of us from holding tightly to the rope at our end, despite it being firmly anchored by a grappling hook.

Tanc stepped off the bridge at the other side and waved his free hand over his head – he was fine and anchoring the rope at the other end. I turned to the other two still on this side, but didn’t get a chance to ask the question before Nera was answering it,

“I’ll go next,” she said, “I want to see what type of dispelling affects this place has.” I gave her a blank look before remembering that her fly spell was still in affect. Technically, as long as I stayed close to her, which I had, it would affect me too. On the other hand...

“Have fun then,” I said with a wry smile. “No way am I tempting fate by having two of us out there at the same time.” She grinned at me with typical Nera over-confidence and, grasping the rope firmly in her hands, she floated out into the cavern. Not even Nera’s disregard for little things like personal safety could convince her it was a good idea to fly any higher than the barest degree above the swaying bridge. And it was just as well, because as soon as she moved forwards, the spell vanished and she landed with all the nimbleness of the cat she was on the bridge which wobbled horribly under her.

“Well, that answers that question,” Nera said cheerfully, grinning over her should at us as she clung tightly to the rope and made her way across the bridge. At the far side, Tanc reached out and grabbed her forearm, tugging her the last step off the bridge onto the ledge. With a sigh I turned to Rifus

“You go first,” he said – had today been deemed ‘Anticipate Silver Day’ and no one had thought to tell me? “I’m stronger than you, I’ll keep it anchored at this side. Besides, this way I can be on hand to save your ass.” He gave me a lecherous leer and I slapped him. Didn’t need a special day for that.

I stepped forwards and took up the rope in my hands, Nera waved cheerfully at me from the far side, clearly she didn’t consider this to be that tricky. And she had a point – if she could do it, then it should be easier for me – being shorter and lighter – more like one of the kobolds who had undoubtedly built this bridge in the first place. Sighing, I moved out on to the bridge.

Immediately I felt like I was riding a wild horse trying its best to throw me off. The bridge swung crazily about me. I inched forwards, clinging to the rope with a desperate strength. If only that was enough. I kept my eyes locked on Tanc and Nera and struggled forwards a couple more steps. My movements were jerky as I struggled to maintain my balance. I felt like I was balancing on a ball that wouldn’t stop bouncing and trying to walk it forwards with feet encased in lead. I stumbled over a broken wooden plank and felt the world spin around me. The bridge lurched up and down and up and down and I completely lost my balance. I felt the rope burn the palms of my hands and rip itself free from my grip as I plunged downwards towards the thickly swirling fog.

“Ahhhhhhh!” I screamed even as I made a desperate grab at the bridge itself and somehow managed to grab hold. It jerked me to a halt and I hung there, while Nera screamed somewhere to my left. Why was Nera screa- oh hell.

“Rifus get out there!” Tanc yelled across the cavern, staring upwards at my feet. I closed my eyes against vertigo and looked down – sure enough, I had fallen with my feet in the fog up to my ankles. And now they weren’t there any more. I swallowed hard.

“Hang on Silver! I’m coming!”

Instantly the bridge tried to rip itself out of my hands and I could hear nothing save a roaring in my ears. I was inside a whirlwind, that was the only possible explanation. Something, someone whipped past my head and I caught a brief glimpse of black cloak, it whipped up around my head and then was gone and the wind went with it. Somewhere over my head Nera was yelling at Rifus

“What the hell were you thinking?! You could have gotten yourself killed! You could have gotten Silver killed!” I couldn’t hear what Rifus said in response, the bridge was starting to wobble again and I was struggling to maintain my grip.

“Silver! Silver, let go!” I forced my eyes open and stared up at Tanc’s dark face underneath that silly hat of his. He had the rope tied around him and was balancing easily on the bridge. “Let go,” he repeated, “I’m right here, I’ll catch you.”

I don’t think he realises just how hard that is for me. To trust him. Screw it.

I let go.

There wasn’t time to think, not even time to scream, though the gods know I wanted to. I would have aimed for Tanc if I’d been able to see him, but the damn teleporting fog moved me so fast all I saw was a grey blur, then a dark blur, then I slammed into something solid that drove all the air from my lungs. I felt the bridge sway horribly as Tanc dropped to his knees, trusting in the rope to hold us both and keep us out of the fog, while he tightened his grip and held me close to him. He didn’t bother asking if I wanted to be put down, he didn’t bother waiting for the bridge stop swaying, he got right back to his feet and headed for safety as fast as the bridge could carry us.

Looks like I was wrong about how much weight it could hold.

I felt my feet touch solid ground and forced my eyes open. Funnily enough, having one’s feet teleported away from one’s body wasn’t a pleasant experience. Tanc was still behind me, but Nera and Rifus both stared anxiously at my face.

“I’m fine. I’m fine, let’s- let’s just go.
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2011-08-22 at 12:22 AM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Guess what! I wrote something!

After about a month's hiatus for various reasons, our RL group finally got together yesterday and had a good old gaming session. It was awesome This little gem comes courtesy of my DM and the evil teleporting fog (we've been playing this game for almost three years and this is the first time we've ever been in a stereotypical D&D dungeon full of traps. It's - turning into a bit of a struggle).

Hang on Silver!
    or Teleport's Not Meant to Work That Way!

Spoiler
    Show
    “Don’t get hit by the coin,” Rifus spoke with a customary malicious glee that had both Nera and I indulging in our customary clip on the head – coordinated and entirely unintentional. As usual, Tanc managed to ignore him with customary dignity and stepped out onto the rickety bridge – though I couldn’t help but be amused to notice that he was casting his gaze around for the small copper coin that was teleporting madly around this fog-filled cavern.

As I watched Tanc make his cautious way across the kobold-constructed bridge, I marvelled again at how such a big man could be so graceful. And it wasn’t easy to be graceful while negotiating a wildly swaying bridge built by kobolds and presumably not designed to carry the weight of a man as big as Tanc. Still, there was a reason he always went first and this was it. If it held his weight, it would hold ours. That didn’t stop the three of us from holding tightly to the rope at our end, despite it being firmly anchored by a grappling hook.

Tanc stepped off the bridge at the other side and waved his free hand over his head – he was fine and anchoring the rope at the other end. I turned to the other two still on this side, but didn’t get a chance to ask the question before Nera was answering it,

“I’ll go next,” she said, “I want to see what type of dispelling affects this place has.” I gave her a blank look before remembering that her fly spell was still in affect. Technically, as long as I stayed close to her, which I had, it would affect me too. On the other hand...

“Have fun then,” I said with a wry smile. “No way am I tempting fate by having two of us out there at the same time.” She grinned at me with typical Nera over-confidence and, grasping the rope firmly in her hands, she floated out into the cavern. Not even Nera’s disregard for little things like personal safety could convince her it was a good idea to fly any higher than the barest degree above the swaying bridge. And it was just as well, because as soon as she moved forwards, the spell vanished and she landed with all the nimbleness of the cat she was on the bridge which wobbled horribly under her.

“Well, that answers that question,” Nera said cheerfully, grinning over her should at us as she clung tightly to the rope and made her way across the bridge. At the far side, Tanc reached out and grabbed her forearm, tugging her the last step off the bridge onto the ledge. With a sigh I turned to Rifus

“You go first,” he said – had today been deemed ‘Anticipate Silver Day’ and no one had thought to tell me? “I’m stronger than you, I’ll keep it anchored at this side. Besides, this way I can be on hand to save your ass.” He gave me a lecherous leer and I slapped him. Didn’t need a special day for that.

I stepped forwards and took up the rope in my hands, Nera waved cheerfully at me from the far side, clearly she didn’t consider this to be that tricky. And she had a point – if she could do it, then it should be easier for me – being shorter and lighter – more like one of the kobolds who had undoubtedly built this bridge in the first place. Sighing, I moved out on to the bridge.

Immediately I felt like I was riding a wild horse trying its best to throw me off. The bridge swung crazily about me. I inched forwards, clinging to the rope with a desperate strength. If only that was enough. I kept my eyes locked on Tanc and Nera and struggled forwards a couple more steps. My movements were jerky as I struggled to maintain my balance. I felt like I was balancing on a ball that wouldn’t stop bouncing and trying to walk it forwards with feet encased in lead. I stumbled over a broken wooden plank and felt the world spin around me. The bridge lurched up and down and up and down and I completely lost my balance. I felt the rope burn the palms of my hands and rip itself free from my grip as I plunged downwards towards the thickly swirling fog.

“Ahhhhhhh!” I screamed even as I made a desperate grab at the bridge itself and somehow managed to grab hold. It jerked me to a halt and I hung there, while Nera screamed somewhere to my left. Why was Nera screa- oh hell.

“Rifus get out there!” Tanc yelled across the cavern, staring upwards at my feet. I closed my eyes against vertigo and looked down – sure enough, I had fallen with my feet in the fog up to my ankles. And now they weren’t there any more. I swallowed hard.

“Hang on Silver! I’m coming!”

Instantly the bridge tried to rip itself out of my hands and I could hear nothing save a roaring in my ears. I was inside a whirlwind, that was the only possible explanation. Something, someone whipped past my head and I caught a brief glimpse of black cloak, it whipped up around my head and then was gone and the wind went with it. Somewhere over my head Nera was yelling at Rifus

“What the hell were you thinking?! You could have gotten yourself killed! You could have gotten Silver killed!” I couldn’t hear what Rifus said in response, the bridge was starting to wobble again and I was struggling to maintain my grip.

“Silver! Silver, let go!” I forced my eyes open and stared up at Tanc’s dark face underneath that silly hat of his. He had the rope tied around him and was balancing easily on the bridge. “Let go,” he repeated, “I’m right here, I’ll catch you.”

I don’t think he realises just how hard that is for me. To trust him. Screw it.

I let go.

There wasn’t time to think, not even time to scream, though the gods know I wanted to. I would have aimed for Tanc if I’d been able to see him, but the damn teleporting fog moved me so fast all I saw was a grey blur, then a dark blur, then I slammed into something solid that drove all the air from my lungs. I felt the bridge sway horribly as Tanc dropped to his knees, trusting in the rope to hold us both and keep us out of the fog, while he tightened his grip and held me close to him. He didn’t bother asking if I wanted to be put down, he didn’t bother waiting for the bridge stop swaying, he got right back to his feet and headed for safety as fast as the bridge could carry us.

Looks like I was wrong about how much weight it could hold.

I felt my feet touch solid ground and forced my eyes open. Funnily enough, having one’s feet teleported away from one’s body wasn’t a pleasant experience. Tanc was still behind me, but Nera and Rifus both stared anxiously at my face.

“I’m fine. I’m fine, let’s- let’s just go.
    prepare for an uncharacteristically brief review.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like it. ^_^ it was funny. I loved the gibs-slap part. I chuckled.

I'm jealous your back to gaming IRL, my school group doesn't pick back up until sunday. and I'm DMing first.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Bugbear in the Playground

Right, I have a few.

Candlekeep
    or You said we were what?

From Garrett's point of view. Touchstone is a monk, and Jack is a rogue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's been a long day.

We had chosen to journey to the flooded ruins I originally came to this area to survey. It occurs to me that the pair that I first accompanied here are both dead...one at my hand, at that. A sobering thought.

We never entered, however. We instead found the place largely dug up by an army of dwarves...and the graveyard that a lich dwelled in had been dug up, as well. We weren't going to give up that easily, however. Jack said he had a plan. As it turns out, his plan was to claim we were scholars of Candlekeep. Candlekeep does not care for people who lie about that. But I'd come to far to back out, so I asked to see what artifacts they had gathered. The dwarven commander we were speaking to had a pair of guards show me to the fenced area they kept them in, so I looked through what was there. Most of it was beyond me to understand, but I recognized a spellbook belonging to a sea-elf sorcerer I had met here before. At that time, though, I saw that the commander Jack and Touchstone were speaking to had gotten angry. They ran for it, with guards chasing them.

I, however, was locked behind a fence. I told my familiar, Apple, to hide. I spend the next few hours being interrogated.

"What were you here to steal?"
    "Nothing."
    "What were you here to steal?"
    "Nothing."
    "WHAT WERE YOU HERE TO STEAL?"

Needless to say, it was a long couple of hours.

But imagine my surprise when I was rescued...We had met Randal Buckman, a wizard-thief, before. He had, to everyone's surprise (including his) been teleported into a battle between us and a vampire spawn. This time, he passed by the camp on his way home. He spoke to the commander, and turned me into a mist with a spell behind his back. I found myself with my allies...Touchstone had been berating Jack because, and I quote, "It's your fault the sorcerer is dead!" But now we're safe, but we have 3 new problems.
    First, the ruins are lost to us.
    Second, I still had the Corrath's spellbook from before...I meant to put it down, but I got a bit distracted. So, now that commander will be making it a point to find me.
    Last, Candlekeep will want to find all of us for similar reasons. Some days, it's not worth leaving town.

Yeah, the rogue's plan almost worked...until he rolled low...

Other (mis)adventures I'll write up soon.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    prepare for an uncharacteristically brief review.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like it. ^_^ it was funny. I loved the gibs-slap part. I chuckled.

I'm jealous your back to gaming IRL, my school group doesn't pick back up until sunday. and I'm DMing first.
    Thanks I wasn't really trying for funny, but Silver can't really help but be snarky. And what can I say? Snarky is funny

We usually do go on hiatus over summer, this was an unusual break for us, because Peregrine got a job and just didn't have the time or energy to plot up a session for us, then the next time we tried to get together, the other couple weren't able to come... finally all the stars aligned correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Right, I have a few.

Candlekeep
    or You said we were what?

From Garrett's point of view. Touchstone is a monk, and Jack is a rogue.

Yeah, the rogue's plan almost worked...until he rolled low...

Other (mis)adventures I'll write up soon.
    I enjoyed this The writing is nice and simple and gets the point across without wandering around. It's nice to read something that simply tells a story. And I am amused by the 'what were you here to steal?' "nothing" exchange. I can hear the exasperation in Garrett's voice

21. - Top - End - #531

The others I'll write soon are:

The Deck of Many Things
    or, Moradin save me!

Exonerated
    or, Still confused

22. - Top - End - #532
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm working on The Host of a Thousand Princes, Part Three, even now.

"Just trust me General, there's a certain way we do these things. If this is going to be my last day on Earth or off of it, I'm going to do it in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I'm working on The Host of a Thousand Princes, Part Three, even now.

"Just trust me General, there's a certain way we do these things. If this is going to be my last day on Earth or off of it, I'm going to do it in style."
    Gareth! *tacklehugs* You're alive!

Please note: I reviewed your last snippet like you wanted me to. And you still owe me a review of my Lyra one

Apparently not being a working stiff any more agrees with me... have another snippet from the weekend's session!

Enter the Iasavites
    Or Oh, You Know It's Going Down

Spoiler
    Show
    Dust in my eyes and a booming reverberating through my skull. I felt like I was listening to one of the massive drums Thror had been so fond of. No. I felt like I was inside one of them. The very stones themselves cracked and groaned, so many fingernails scraping down so much slate. The rumble of thunder – without the lightening – battered my eardrums, even as a hand appeared in my line of vision. Without a word, I took the hand and pulled myself back to my feet. Tanc’s grey eyes were concerned as he said – said something I couldn’t hear. I could guess though

“I’m okay” I said – lip reading, there was nothing like it. Terryn would be proud of me. “Just some ringing in my ears, that was too close for comfort.” I was suddenly extremely glad we’d all overruled Nera. She was running low on spells and had been insisting – since the time we’d waded through the kobold’s rubbish pit that we ought to rest. We’d all said that there wasn’t time – well, Tanc and I had said it. But it wasn’t until we’d managed to disarm the magical traps and found this hidden staircase that she’d finally accepted that the earthquakes weren’t part of the original traps but were in fact, being caused by the Iasavites. And so here we were, standing in a small group at the top of a hidden staircase, shaken and dusty from the biggest quake yet.

Now what?” Tanc sounded as close to exasperated as I’d ever heard him. I carefully rubbed the dust out of my eyes and lifted my head to see – nothing.

Well, not precisely nothing. There was fog. Thick, floor-to-ceiling fog. Black fog. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of black fog before, but I’ll bet you anything you like it’s not a good thing.

“Nera?” Wow, I sound as exasperated as Tanc. There was a weariness in my voice I hadn’t noticed until now. We’d spent all morning – though it felt more like all day – wading through this gods-forsaken dungeon, dodging traps, ducking traps, fleeing from traps. Negotiating with bloody stubborn kobolds. And now what? Oh yes, more traps.

“It’s fog.” Nera said simply.

“Yes Nera,” Tanc almost snapped the words, “we can see that. That’s not quite what Silver was asking I think.”

“Hey! don’t get me involved in this.”

“What else do you want me to do?” Nera retorted. “It’s fog. Magic fog – like everything else in this damn place. I can’t see anything else, the fog is blocking me – or something. I said we needed to rest. I asked you people again and again and you overruled me. It’s not my fault!”

“All right!” I interrupted before Tanc could say anything else. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Rifus’ head swivelling back and forth between them, his green eyes wide and a little nervous. Tanc was far and away the most level-headed of the group, if he was getting fed up, it wasn’t a good sign. “Nera, just – try and dispel it okay?” Snarling and swearing in her native language, Nera did exactly that. And again – nothing.

“Damn it!” She hissed, frustrated. “I can’t-”

What is that? The fog is moving? What is that coming out of the fog at me?!

“Aaaieeeeee!” I screamed and jerked backwards as a thin, bedraggled hand slithered silently out of the darkness and latched itself to me. A grip tighter than iron and colder than ice locked around my right arm.

All frustration forgotten, we started moving like the team we were. I fumbled with my left hand for the edge of my cloak even as I heard Nera try another dispel. The fog did nothing, but it lit up awfully pretty as Rifus’ eldritch blast slammed into the scabrous hand clinging to me.

“Be careful!” I yelled, even as I got hold of my cloak and swept it up and around, slicing through the skin. No blood, no smell, no nothing. “Undead!” I cried, staggering as another earthquake shattered the overall silence of the cavern. I swore under my breath in elven, we really didn’t need this right now.

“There are more of them!” Tanc yelled the warning over his shoulder at Rifus and Nera even as he grabbed the arm holding me and twisted in both hands. It worked. The whatever-it-was let go of me and went for him instead. It missed, Tanc simply dodged both blows and scowled as he moved in again.

In front of us four more had appeared out of the fog and lunged at our friends, a couple of yelps, a blast of wind and the fog ripped itself apart, tiny shreds flying around, reminding me of the odd black snakes we’d seen on the Plane of Shadows. It stayed that way long enough for me to see that Nera had destroyed all four with a well-cast spell, then the fog was all-encompassing again. Feeling thoroughly fed up by this point, I slashed once more at the final undead thing. Apparently I wasn’t the only one feeling annoyed by this, purple energy from Rifus hit at the same time and it fell in a dead – or is that re-dead, heap at my feet.

“Well,” I said, carefully stepping over the body, “that was entertaining.” Sarcasm. Was there any situation it wasn’t suitable for? I saw the humour, the laughter, in Tanc’s eyes as he glanced at me, before his expression turned serious again.

“There’s some sort of door up ahead. Some disturbance,” he said it so calmly. Then again, after what we’d already been through – was there any point in getting upset? Probably not.

The fog didn’t impede or hinder us as we all stepped right through it and up to the archway Tanc had noticed. Somehow we’d ended up in a line, the four of us, as we stepped through into what can only be described as a cavern. In front of us was a chamber – within it, standing massive and unmoving, were eight statues arranged in a huge square around a central point. Each one wore identical armour and matching implacable expressions. Each held an appropriately sized quarterstaff – it all seemed perfectly normal, as normal as eight gigantic dwarf statues in a dungeon we’d all assumed to have been built by a human can be... save one thing. Each staff was black and – wispy? Now that didn’t make sense.

“Any idea?” Tanc started, before he could finish, Rifus was already answering him.

“I’m too far away to tell about the staves,” he said. “But there’s magic right in front of us.” He started forwards, Nera reached out a hand and I grabbed her wrist

“Don’t bother” I said, shifting my weight as another dull rumble echoed around us. “He’ll never change and you might as well save your spells.” I gestured, an elegant dip of my head, towards the dark walls, “I suspect you’ll need them before long.” Nera sighed, but said nothing until,

“Rifus says his invisibility is gone, but he can still fly.” The three of us looked at each other and shrugged. In unison, we walked through. I felt absolutely nothing as I walked through the spot where Rifus had said there was magic. Nera gasped and I spun round, only to find her staring at Tanc. Damn he looked strange. The magic had apparently stripped him of his magical illusion – the one he maintained to keep him looking normal. Without it, he was – well, colourless. I twitched my shoulders slightly, trying not to let him see how uncomfortable it made me feel, Tanc was still Tanc after all.

Ahead of us, Rifus had zoomed ahead to investigate what appeared to be a hole in the wall. He knelt and peered through it, silent for a change. Without a word and with an expression that on any other face, I would have said was worry or concern; Rifus so rarely showed either emotion I wasn’t sure what to call it.

“There’s a bunch of workers out there,” he murmured, “humans, some kobolds and goblins. It’s dark, wherever they are,” he added, before Tanc could ask the question. Drawn by some odd curiosity of my own, I moved cautiously towards the hole, absentmindedly covering my eyes as dust fell from the ceiling above. I could hear the wisht-wisht-wisht sound Rifus made as he flew up towards the nearest statue to check the quarterstaff for magic.

“Agggh!” Three heads turned and three pairs of eyes stared anxiously until the young elf moved. His normal clothes were so dark when he stopped moving he was almost impossible to see. Now I saw him slide down to the bottom of the statue, holding his head in his hands. With a speed I still found astonishing, even after all this time, Tanc was by his side and kneeling next to our warlock. I waited in silent anxiety, keeping one eye on the workers beyond the hole, which slowly slowly, got bigger.

“The magic is overpowering,” Nera said quietly, coming up behind me, but stopping quite a few feet from the hole in the wall. “He’s going to check another one,” she added.

“He’s an idiot,” I muttered. “Doesn’t it work the same way as an overpowering sense of evil? He’s going to give himself a headache.” Still, even as I divided my attention between our soon-to-be unwelcome guests and the idiot warlock, I knew why he was doing it. There was only one Shadow Staff. Only one ultimate weapon wielded by the Shadow King. We had to know which one it was.

“Next one is the same,” Nera reported tersely, looking over her shoulder as Tanc quietly lifted Rifus back to his feet for the second time.

“Tell him to stop it.” I snapped. “We’re going to need him befo-”

CRACK

BOOM

WHAM

I was on my back, covered in dust and rubble. Rocks were falling on my head and getting in my hair, ears and eyes. What the hell?!

I could hear Tanc swearing and Rifus replying. Then Nera was at my side, pulling me up and I realised what had happened. The wall. The wall had blown in. No way had the workers done that. And as I straightened my clothes and turned to face the now rather larger hole, I saw I was correct.

Four mages, dressed in the black robes we’d come to associate with the Iasavites stepped through. Three were in a line, slightly behind the fourth who stood forward with a wand in his hand, pointed directly at Tanc, whose speed had brought him to the front of our little group before the dust had even settled. Rifus joined him there, standing behind him and a little to one side. Without a word, I stepped forwards, in front of Nera. I glanced at her over my shoulder, her face was grim and set in lines encrusted with dirt and bits of rubbish that still clung. I imagined I looked much the same. I grinned at her before turning my attention to the mages. I might have been speaking to no one or everyone; to the walls or the ceiling. But I knew they heard me and I knew they understood I was talking to them. Enough of this. It’s time.

“Let’s dance.”

And now that I'm no longer a working stiff, I'm also on dinner duty. Please excuse me while I go make Thai green curry for tea

24. - Top - End - #534

Enter the Iasavites
    Or Oh, You Know It's Going Down
    I'm glad you're doing this again. It all sounds significantly cooler when you retell it.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm going to try my hand again at making a snippet for a session I DM as opposed to one I'm playing in....

unfortunately, we're not gaming till sunday

26. - Top - End - #536

I like your party's style, Moreta...

This story is much longer, and told as a story rather than in Garrett's memory.
    Exonerated
    or, Still confused

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Candlekeep finally heard about our impersonation.

Still, all wasn't lost. Candlekeep forgave such trespasses in exchange for a contribution to their library-and I was fairly certain I had one. A tome I found in the flooded ruins had contained rather more than I thought-it described elemental summoning rituals that were well beyond my ability to cast. Still, I had been taking notes, so perhaps I wouldn't entirely lose the knowledge contained...the question was how we could get to the Keep before being attacked by bounty hunters.

That day, we walked into town and found that the former adventurers that ran and protected the town had arranged a information post in the town square. Among the more mundane things, we found a challenge. Each member of that party had placed an artifact in the deepest parts of the many so-called dungeons nearby.

More importantly, we found ourselves. We were WANTED FOR THE IMPERSONATION OF CANDLEKEEP SCHOLARS. The bounty on our heads was...well...shockingly high. It wasn't enough to tempt anyone we knew, and I was thanked Mystra for that, believe me! It's one of the few times I was grateful that the student wizards in the academy here thought I was more like a warlock than a sorcerer.

Eh? No, I'm not a warlock. Now hush.

"So...we have a price on our heads." Jack was looking at the price with an expression I wasn't happy with.

"Yes...we'll need to figure out how to get there without someone trying to take it."

After a few moment's thought, we made a plan, of sorts. We would meet back at the local bar.

So, Touchstone and Jack went on their errands. I, meanwhile went to check the armor shop that had opened in our absence. With a little luck, I could buy a robe or similar bearing a glamer. I was in for several more surprises that day. First, finding that the shop owner was a dwarf...one I'd met before...

"YOU!"
    "Oh no."
    "You're the one that stole for my camp! AND RAN AWAY!"
    "Ididn'tmeantostealthatbookI-"
    "Then give it back!"
    "Yes, yes, of course..."

He seemed mollified by that. A little.

"I lost my career because of you."
    "I know, I'm sorry that-"
    "So, you'll be paying half again the price of anything you buy here. You AND your friends. Now...what were you here for?"
    "An undershirt or robe with a glamer-spell."
    "And...you came to an armor shop for that?"
    "Well...yes."

Oh, don't look at me like that. I study the arcane, not the anvil.

He sold me what I needed. It cost me everything I had, though. I made the glamer appear as a robe with a hood and mask that covered my face. It would keep me from being identified easily.

So, Jack and I went to the bar and sat to discuss how we would proceed. The next thing I knew was blackness. All I could see was that I was standing in a magic circle of some kind, and a person in a robe covered with an eye motif.

"Do you know where you are?"
    "Well...no."
    "Good. We have heard that you can contribute to the library."
    Yes, I was in Candlekeep. Confused? So was I, believe me! In any case, I handed over my research. The book I keep my spell notes in he handed back with a contemptuous look. The elemental tome, however, he took away. I don't know how long I was down there, but it felt like hours. Eventually, I was taken before an circle of people in similar, but obviously more formal eye-robes. What did they do to me, you ask. Heh heh heh heh...they offered me a job! So, not only did they forgive our party of our crimes, they went and hired me to add too their library! Oh, what a day that was...I never did dare tell that poor dwarf I really was a scholar.

As far as how he got there...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Touchstone the monk went to the wizard that ran the academy. It was a Red Wizard who really hated the party, since we tended to interuppt either his class or his breaks...Anyway, the player changed his mind about paying him for a teleport when he heard the cost...so the wizard stole the money/goods that added up to the cost (plus a bit), then teleported him to Candlekeep against his will. From there, a Candlekeep mage grabbed Garrett. Oh, we had a ball that session...
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thumbs up Re: D&D Snippets

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I'm glad you're doing this again. It all sounds significantly cooler when you retell it.
    this is REEEEEALLLY off topic, but,

I just read your paladin stuff (and the alignment thing) in your signature.

good work man.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Awwww, you posted in the thread. I love you and yes, that would be why I write them

I like your party's style, Moreta...
    Why thank you We've been on the receiving end of two or three ass-whoppings from the Iasavites (homebrewed world, Iasav is the secret god of secrets) and now we're racing to find the big bad's stick. I probably should have anticipated it, but I honestly thought we'd have gotten there in plenty of time. Silly me.

This story is much longer, and told as a story rather than in Garrett's memory.
    I like it I like the little slice-of-life snippets sometimes more than the big battle ones. It flowed really well too, which is always helpful, except in a couple of places.

First - I would have made it clearer that Garrett was talking to someone and telling them the story. I honestly thought he was just narrating his actions until the first 'no, I'm not a warlock' bit. It would flow better to have just a quick sentence or two explaining that he's telling the story to someone.

It wasn't enough to tempt anyone we knew, and I was thanked Mystra for that, believe me!
    This sentence doesn't make sense. It should either be 'and I was thanking Mystra for that," or "and I thanked Mystra for that," - given that he's telling the story to someone else, I suspect the latter would be correct.

"So...we have a price on our heads." Jack was looking at the price with an expression I wasn't happy with.
    Not really a critisim, it's just - did anything come of this? It seems a little odd that you'd mention Jack had an expression Garrett didn't like - which leads me to think Jack was possibly considering turning you guys in for the money... and yet nothing else comes of it, Garrett doesn't say anything and in the snippet nothing happens about it. Makes me wonder if anything did in fact happen.

glamer
    I believe this is spelled glamour, just a minor spelling correction it doesn't interrupt the flow at all (save for the sudden 'oh that's not spelled right' part).

So, Jack and I went to the bar and sat to discuss how we would proceed. The next thing I knew was blackness. All I could see was that I was standing in a magic circle of some kind, and a person in a robe covered with an eye motif.
    So... you were standing inside the person as well? I realise that's obviously not what you mean, but that's essentially what you've written. Where exactly was this person? inside the circle, outside?

What did they do to me, you ask. Heh heh heh heh...they offered me a job! So, not only did they forgive our party of our crimes, they went and hired me to add too their library! Oh, what a day that was...I never did dare tell that poor dwarf I really was a scholar.
    This? This is funny perfect ending

this is REEEEEALLLY off topic, but,

I just read your paladin stuff (and the alignment thing) in your signature.

good work man.
    That's my boy (no really, Peregrine is my husband )

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

That's my boy (no really, Peregrine is my husband )
    I know, you keep reminding me every time I refer to him as "whats-his-face"

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I know, you keep reminding me every time I refer to him as "whats-his-face"
    I know It was for the benefit of others