New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: D&D Snippets

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Snippets

Heres a few.

Odd one out.
    (About a CG Pirate in a party of LN, CE and LE characters)
    Spoiler
    Show

It was getting bright, at the end of the tunnel there was what we assumed to be the prize. The artifact that Dayora wanted to destroy, she told us that only she could do it. Beasts and monsters had stood in our way but now me and my riotous allies near the goal.

"Hey Will, what do ya think the artifact is?"
    "Hmm.... something powerful obviously." Said the bearded mage.
    "Maaaan I hope the big boss man uses it against us I meen that would be FUN!"
    "Rered, remember what we said about fights?" Asked the paladin.
    "....If I say yes will you keep talking?"
    "RERED! Please, we need the element of surprise!"

As we near the the door William tells us to stand back, he then turns into a black dragon, not sure why he would do that. Copper is much better color but whatever, he's the smart guy he knows what he's doing. The door melts away with his corrosive breath, we all storm in to find....

A blue orb.

"YES YES I KNEW IT!" Yells William who at this point is human once more.
    Touching it his eyes widen and he flees.
    "What's wrong with him?" I ask as I touch the blue orb.
    "WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER!" Suddenly a GIANT BLUE DRAGON pops up in front of me, it's breathing lightning and has a aura of impossible power!
    "Oh I'm Rered Naw, CAPTAIN of the S.S.Silver" The dragon was kinda surprised and I don't blame it I mean I am Famous, to meet some one like me has got to be a shock right?

Then everything went dark.

William and the orb.
    (William is also a warlock, LE.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The idiot was easy to lie to, easy to manipulate but his power. It was disturbing. Rered was a strange case, was clearly a fighter yet he had the blessing of Kord. Immune to poisons and completely fearless in every sense of the word the boy was a enigma. If it weren't for the fact that Rered was a complete idiot then he would be a threat.

For the time being Rered was useful, he was the face of the group, a charismatic power house with blessings from his god which he was IGNORANT ABOUT! How does one gain power without even knowing about it! It reminded him of the time that Rered was given a wish but being the idiot he was he didn't hear. Months later in the desert he had accidentally used his wish.

"I wish you would leave me alone you stupid camel."

The camel was never seen again.

But now, now was when Rered would be most useful, if he completed this task then I would have no use for him any longer! I could dispose of him! The blue orb, so close! The blue dragon orb! It's power finally mine! THESE IDIOTS COULD BURN IN HELL! Even Rober the death knight could go suck it! I no longer have to be content with these IDIOTS!

"WHO DISTURBS M-" I was too afraid, as I touched the orb I felt only the urge to flee, it was too powerful it was too... why am I running? As I turn around I see that no one had followed me and THAT IDIOT was moving to touch the orb. Let him, he was a chaotic good soul, the orb was lawful evil, he would be utterly destroyed.

But then the unthinkable happened. Rered changed, he was now blue, he was now more draconian.

"Hey guys, I just beat this dragon in a battle of wills so what's going on? All the mind play got me thirsty, I'm gonna go to a bar." Then he teleported.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !!"
    "A knife can only bring true happiness in the hands of a chef."

"What if the other person was Masochistic?"

"........."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Heehee, oh dear hahaha

I read the first one and was going to comment on how it hadn't ended well. Then I read William's point of view. I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for him or not.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Ado - fuss, bother, busyness
    Adieu - French word, means 'goodbye'

-sigh- thankyou... I hate it when that happens =P happened with violtale violatile....-BAD WORDS-
    I digress...

spelling is not my thing...

Main criticism is that you haven't used proper sentences. Write full sentences and use fullstops, instead of ellipses, it'll flow better. Generally speaking, you should always use full sentences unless it's needed for dramatic or another effect. I find that using half sentences and the like works best when writing in first person, because people don't think in full sentences. At least, I don't. (and see there, I've just proved my point "At least, I don't" isn't a full sentence, technically it should have been attached to the previous sentence with a semi-colon. But I don't think in sentences so I didn't write in it)
    it was indeed, I cranked this out because he wanted a quick explanation of 'a day in the life' and given that this is a friend of mine, I didn't feel the need to write in an excessivly formal or edited manner, my future snippets (mostly drawing on my dwarven knight and my barbarian) will be much more thoroughly proof read.

Please don't feel like I'm nitpicking. I really enjoyed what you wrote, and as I said, I suspect much of this is because it's brief background get-into-your-character's-head writing for your DM. That makes you write differently. I think the second half was definitely better, your descriptive writing is good. I liked the 'All was as it should be' part. I like repetition like that I probably would have combined a few of the paragraphs so there weren't as many 'all was as it should be's' but that's really entirely up to the discretion of the author, so don't take anything from it if you don't want to. Entirely my personal preference, and an knowledge that I'm really bad at doing that all the time so I tend to be fairly conscious of it.
    by all means, nitpick away (just gently!) it helps me improve.

as for the excessive amounts of paragraphs.... thats my fault XD the way my mind works, whenever I have to describe something/somebody I build it in parts, so I described each part of Sohn's outfit, much as one would do in a mirror before you went out for the day.

that said, your criticism is appreciated and (hopefully) applied

until next time, where I shall type up a snippet from the perspective of Roche Smoulderbeard, Dwarven Knight of -censor block-
    Spoiler
    Show
    can't say what/who he represents, its an ingame and incharacter secret, and I don't know if any of my group members troll the forums

the snippet shall be 'The Death of Kelvar"

until next time!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

And now for the final bit! Do you remember Dayora? If not then read it from Rered's point of view first.

Just as planned....
    (From the orbs point of view)

Spoiler
    Show
    It has been so long, too long. Ever since the champion of Bahumat had trapped me in here I've done nothing but think. My power does not grow but my hate does. I am ever patient, ever ready to strike. Whatever comes my way I shall enslave but they need to be strong enough with a will of Iron able to contain my power. That is when I am set free.

I sense something, I am being moved. To bad whoever is moving me isn't using their bare hands. Warmth, something soft am I on a pillow? Some sort of pedastool perhaps? The light! GLORIOUS LIGHT! Some one has made contact with me! I have no use for weak hearted fools, let us see if they are brave enough to withstand my greatness!

"WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER!?" A rhetorical question but a question non the less. The dark figure before me doesn't stir, good some one strong but something is terribly wrong. This person is as strong as me perhaps even stronger. Their will is unbreakable I feel threatened, something is terribly wrong.

A green dragon? THIS IS WHAT STANDS BEFORE ME???
    "Greetings." Calls the green one. "I am Dayora and I come with a proposal."
    I nod then listen, what ever is going on I deem it interesting enough to give my full attention.
    "I have sent a group of foolish adventurers your way, one of which is the perfect vessel for you, when the chance arises take his body and come to me. Together with you age old wisdom and my power we can rule this world together."

"Dayora?" I wonder smirking at the name. "Very well, in return for giving me a new body I shall help you. Remember I serve no one we are but allies." Her nod means that she had accepted the deal. It would be a glorious piece of freedom, not only would I have my body once more but I would be a ruler!

Darkness once more over comes me as my future ally leaves, I calculate and make plans for eventual back stabs. After all why share power when you can have it all? Light, murky light some one evil, some one like me but significantly weaker. A warlock? Hmm a suitable vessel I suppose. Time for the test.

"WHO DISTURBS M-" Before I could even finish darkness over comes me once more. The man didn't even last through the entire sentence before he fled! BAH! USELESS! But soon after light, this light was different. Constantly dancing, hard to see yet so very bright and pure. BAH it was like the light of Kord but everyone who touched the orb should be dealt the test.

"WHO DISTURBS MY SLUMBER?" I roar, the man in front of me a sort of pirate just smiles. Is he excited?
    "Oh I'm Rered Naw, CAPTAIN of the S.S.Silver" He was not scared? Surprising, but what of his will power? Throwing my mind against his I find that he is indeed strong, that his power transcends even himself. But it is as if he is unaware of the power he wields. Though hard I manage to trap his soul within the orb, his body now mine.

I now have his memories, the idiot actually considered the warlock to be a good person, a champion of justice!? HA! Coincidentally the warlock was looking right at me now. What would be the best way to torment him? Scanning through Rered's memories I soon found it.

"Hey guys, I just beat this dragon in a battle of wills so what's going on? All the mind play got me thirsty, I'm gonna go to a bar." Then I teleported to Dayora, there she sat in a human form a female. "So which country are we going to conquer first?" I ask as I arrive.

------

Meanwhile in the orb.
    ".......... This is boring..........." Echoed a voice in the dark.

Post game notes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is just a alternate history of what would have happened if Rered failed his will save. What actually happened? He got the orb, went half insane, summoned an army of chaotic good creatures to protect him. Turned his ship into something equivalent to a warforged Titan and then because he couldn't find Dayora he gave the Orb to another NPC named Lao who was a TN half blue dragon sorcerer who then (Using gloves) picked the orb up and put it away to study (Eventually he destroyed it.)

Rered by the way is also my avatar. The boat was a folding boat, the forth command word turned it into a giant wooden robot XD William has been enraged ever since. The campaign has ended and Rered never found out that William or half the party was evil. Kord thought it was funny since he annoyed the hell out of the evil people in the group and he liked Rered since he technically kicked ass, liked to drink, had a strong sense of good, liked to fight and was too dumb too be corrupted. (He has a high int but a 7 for his Wisdom XD) Basically he could identify and tell you what snow is made off. Then wander off and lick a iron pole in the snow..

Basically Rered was the result of me thinking 'Why is Charisma a dump stat? Hmm.. Lets try wisdom.'
    Last edited by freebiewitz; 2010-09-05 at 08:03 AM.

"........."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Teehee, loved it!

Very funny. I liked the orb's point of view.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ladies Love Scars
    Or: Good Hits, Epic Misses

Spoiler
    Show
    Funny as it may sound, I don't hate drow. Oh, I know the stories and everything, but it's not exactly as though it's their fault at this point. They're raised to skin High Elf children for boot leather. I haven't mentioned this viewpoint to my master, who seems to hate them with an intensity that borders on actual glee, but I told Mythran about it.

"Mature viewpoint, kid," was his reply. "Totally wrong in every way, of course. But mature."

Lythan had jumped at the opportunity to volunteer for this mission - a rescue, of sorts. Someone - as it turns out, the drow - had been kidnapping entire border towns for months, but when St. Cuthbert's High Deacon's daughter showed up on the list, someone decided to care enough to send an experienced team of mercenaries after them. The hunt had taken weeks, and brought us here - a vast and open cavern filled with the sounds of open combat and ritual sacrifice. Sliced flesh makes a sound like crisp, wet melon, and we could hear the knifes slashing through innocent throats and the screams of the soon-to-die even over the clash of steel on adamantine.

Mythran was involved in some kind of magical contest with a pair of drow twins that were dressed...well. Harlots dress better. In fact, harlots practically look like St. Cuthbert's maiden aunt next to drow. I honestly think the mage's greatest problem was keeping his eyes off of their chests as he incanted.

Lythan, in the meantime, was holding the doorway against a growing tide of drow, trusting in his broad kite shield to ward off their crossbow bolts. I could hear him singing hymns to the Saint with every blow, the sound of his blade cleaving through drow plate like bells at the most violent church in the world.

I was only barely able to pay attention to either of them; the high priestess had stepped away from the altar to deal with us herself, and I was given the job of delaying her while Mythran's familiar spoiled the blood sacrifice. She fought with a wicked morningstar and a savage zeal that I was having difficulty matching. Parry after desperate parry, I fended off her weapon and lashed out with my own, skipping the dwarf-forged steel off of her adamantine plates. The fact that I was wearing mithral chain mail was of little comfort to me - bludgeoning weapons simply transmitted the force through and broke bone to the tune of adding insult to injury.

Our weapons met, sparks spraying wildly, and I thrust my shield hand into her face and screamed my fury out in an incantation. I knew the spell itself - a spray of color - would do nothing. I didn't care about the spell. I wanted the light.

The priestess reeled back, clutching her useless eyes, as I bellowed out the words to a knock spell I'd been saving. As the end of the incantation ("Let all your bindings fall!") echoed over the battlefield, every last scrap of armor, clothing, chain, or rope came loose and undone, leaving drow and surface humanoids alike completely nude.

"Lloth will taste your blood, half-breed!" the priestess shrieked. I was well past rational thought at that point.

And I hated being called half-breed.

I punched forward with my buckler, catching her in the face and knocking her exposed body to the floor. Stepping over my own armor and equipment, I raised my longsword high - and plunged it, hilt-deep, into my chest. It hurt and burned in my lung, but I stepped forward and planted a boot on the drow's chest, pinning her to the floor as I slowly drew the blade out.

As she struggled and writhed, I managed to spit out, "Send her a taste when you tell her how you failed."

I rammed my longsword through her mouth, and the struggling stopped.

Later, after much healing potions had been drunk and the hostages rescued, Mythran asked me why I did it.

"Ladies love scars?"
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2010-09-07 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Well. It makes for a fantastic story, but why did you do it?

Very well written, as always thoroughly enjoyed the idea of having to make a concentration check against perving

I would write something... I have a couple of ideas to immortalise my other character. But right now I'm thinking it's nap time again.

8. - Top - End - #38

I rolled a fumble and a critical. The fumble ended up being critical hit: self, which ended up being chest wounds - death in 4d6 minutes. The critical...well, you saw the critical :p

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think that's how knock works BUT HELL! It SHOULD XD.

"........."

10. - Top - End - #40

It worked like that in 2e, when I played him :p

My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

A scene from my current campaign featuring a completely mundane activity. It's just the juxtaposition between our having killed someone the previous night and our soon-to-be spelunking adventure that made it stand out to me. I dare say it's almost Tarantino-esque.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sun was rising in the City of Towers. Gar, too, raised his stout, Dwarven frame out of bed. The inn's choice in mattresses was not to his liking. There was much to consider. The night before, he and a ragtag collection of bystanders confronted a murderous Warforged--they killed it, but in doing so, may very well have plunged themselves into the web of plots and gambits that was Breland house politics. Maybe this was a good thing. Maybe this meant high adventure, fame, and fortune. Maybe his life was in danger.

But all that could wait until breakfast was done.

Now awake and making his way down the stairs to the inn's common room, he found his companions from the previous night. Leskar, the human Barbarian, Caleb, the human Swordsage, Rin, the Paragenasi Druid, and Kellor, the Elf Wizard were sitting on one side of a table. On the other side were a human woman in a dark blue cloak and what was most like likely her bodyguard. Gar pulled up a seat on his companions' side.

"I am Elaydren d'Vown of House Cannith," the lady introduced herself. Before she could exposit further, the inn mistress, a halfling, served up the breakfast portion of the 'bed and breakfast' advertised outside: a waffle and a sausage.

Kellor frowned and pushed the sausage on his plate aside. "I don't eat sausages."

Everyone turned silent. Gar, far from being the only one, raised an eyebrow at Kellor's seemingly peculiar dietary choice and began contemplating what exactly he meant.

Any attempts at over-thinking the situation were nullified when Kellor added, "You don't know what they're made of. They could be rat meat as far as we know."

With that, the soundproof veil that had fallen over the party disappeared. "Eh, if you're not gonna eat it, I will." Leskar reached his fork across the table and stabbed the sausage to take it back to his own plate.

Gar shrugged. "Long as it tastes good, I'll eat it."

Lady Elaydren sighed impatiently and massaged her temples in irritation. "Can we get on with your mission already?"
    Hi, Billy Mays avatar here by Ninjaman!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Oh, that was very good *much applause*

I was waiting for something to happen (and agreeing that I don't like sausages either), and then nothing did. Very good

Also, what on earth is a Paragenasi?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is not in the d20 system, but I think it should be ok.

Ok, so when I started this on tuesday, I had no idea it would be this long. It is, in fact, considerably longer than a snippet. But dammit I didn't type all this for nothing!

Spoilered for length.

Seriously. Get comfortable.

The Keep of Baron Faulker
    Or, Why I Flinch Every Time Someone Points At Me

Spoiler
    Show

Below us, the rolling foothills of die Weissbergen, and the small town where our caravan had stopped for the past week. Above us, the moon, pallid and bloated on the dreams of this once proud nation. In between, the modest manor of one Baron Faulker. The townsfolk had nothing but kind words for him. He kept the kobolds at bay. He made sure his people were fed. His taxes were more reasonable than most other men in his position. All he asked was that no one intrude upon his keep.

So inevitably, we must do that very thing.

Six inches to my left and a foot and a half down, ginger Daniel was peering through a hole in the fence that just happened to be at eye level for him. After about 5 minutes of this, I cleared my throat quietly. "Look, Dannyboy, I know this is important to you. I know I said that I would help you do this. But it's kind of cold out, and I'd like to get some rest tonight before we pack up and move on."

Six inches to my right and a foot and a half up, I heard rather than saw Dmitri's bushy eyebrow raise as he tilted his head, lightly rattling the multicolored beads in his hair. Even in this darkness, I could see his luminous green eyes, evidence of his Ussuran lineage. "We are leaving in the morning? I, uh, was not made aware of this."

"Well, if Des Gaulles has any sense, we are. I do not believe that the townspeople will buy our three-ringed farce much longer." I sighed, and began to rub my temples. "But then, this is Monsieur Des Gaulles we're speaking of." I sneered, then turned around and spat on the ground.

Without taking his eye away from the gap, Danny lilted back "Aye, Renaldo, but perhaps if you could actually FIGHT a bull like we said you could, the townsfolk just might have had an easier time swallowing this malarkey, ya think?"

I bristled, and my left hand sought out the hilt of my rapier. I hissed at him "Do not call me that! It is bad enough that Des Gaulles forces me to assume that name. I am Valiente Rafael Luis Zepata del Tor-"

"res de Castille de blah de blah de blah. Ye've got more names than I've got possible dads, an' that's sayin' somethin. Now hush up, will ya?"

I stewed in silence for about half a minute. "Besides, if Dmitri hadn't given the bull tactical advice, he wouldn't have gotten the better of me like that."

Smile playing at the edge of his voice, he gently demurred. "I do not know what you mean, friend. I was advising you to go for its legs. It is mere coincidence that it lowered its head at the last second. That looked painful, though. Are you sure you're ok?"

I jabbed my finger into his ribs. "Don't you give me that. I'm on to you. I've heard the stories about Ussurans, how you can talk to animals."

"We all can talk to animals. Even you. It does not mean they listen."

"But they DO! They LISTEN when you talk!"

"PIPE DOWN, lads! We can settle this later. The drug I slipped into their well earlier seems to be working. Only six guards on duty, and they all look pretty woozy, but they're not down. Dmitri?"

If Dmitri's eyes could have rolled all the way around, they would have. "I'll go get the bird and the monkey." And then, with more swiftness and silence than I would have believed possible of such a large man, he slid into the night, muttering to himself.

A minute passed in utter silence.

"...Bird and monkey?"

"Aye, it worked last night. They created a distraction so I could slip in, figure out the layout of the place."

"...Bird and monkey?"

"Yep."

"You mean the bird and monkey he keeps in his wagon?"

"Well, I think the monkey followed him up here, but...Yep."

"I see."

Another minute.

"You're not going to explain further, are you?"

"Nope. Ruins the surprise."

One more minute.

"You know, Daniel, I'm not quite sure why I'm doing this."

"Cuz you're my friend, and you can't resist helping a friend."

"Oh. Right."

Yet another unbearable minute.

"So, uh, are we waiting for something, or..."

A shadow with a wingspan only a foot shorter than Daniel passed over head, blotting out the moon for a second. Was...that a monkey being carried by an enormous raven? A moment later, I heard a monkey screeching, followed by shouting in Eisen and metal clanking on metal as the guards began to run after it.

"Yeah. That. Come on, we've not got long." The slight Inishman picked up the length of rope on the ground beside him and began spinning it, and a few seconds later the claw was firmly attached to the top of the wall. "You first."

"Why me?"

"Because, if it can hold your weight, than it can definitely hold mine and we've got nothin' to worry about."

"Excuse me?"

"It wouldn't kill you to ease off the steak. Just sayin." I sighed in disgust, but indulged him and began climbing, taking care not to snag my cloak on the barbs on top. Soon, we were both over the wall and in the courtyard. In the distance, I could see the six brutish guards falling over themselves as they tried to catch the elusive beast. I did not speak Eisen, so I asked Daniel what they were shouting about.

"Oh, somethin' about 'it's that flyin kobold again' and 'we're all doomed' and 'kill it quick before it leads the rest here'...usual Eisen nonsense, nothin' important. Come on, quick."

Like most of this forsaken country, the ground between the wall and the front door was completely barren, marked only by the footprints of the guardsmen. Nonetheless, we crossed without incident thanks to the ruckus caused by the "flying kobold". Once inside, I followed Daniel's lead through twisting corridors and winding passages, coming at last to a set of stairs flanked on either side by oaken double doors.

Pausing for a second, I rubbed my chin and reflected on the route we'd just taken. "Strange. This isn't like any Eisen building I've ever been in, all twists and curves. Most Eisen architecture is marked by utility and directness."

"Yah, well, Faulker isn't like any other Eisen. Now come on, the library should be just up these stairs."

"Wait. Library? You're risking my life for a damned book?"

"Grimoire, actually, but you don't know how right you are."

"Look, Daniel, this book can't be that important. We'll go to a library in Freiburg, they'll surely have a copy."

"No, this book is the last of its kind. And hopefully, it...Wait. You hear that?" I didn't. "Crap, guards are comin' round! Quick, hide!" He rattled the handle on one set of doors, and when it turned out to be locked, he swore under his breath in a language I'd never heard before. Now I could hear voices from above us, and they didn't sound like they were coming down to greet us with fruit-filled baskets. I dashed to the other set of doors and tried the knob. Yes! It opened. I waved Daniel over and shut and barred the door behind us.

The voices grew louder, accompanied by heavy footfalls and the jangling of swords. There was a great deal of shouting right outside the door, and for one horrible moment I thought they'd found us; but soon, their voices faded and we were left in peace. I realized I was holding my breath, and sighed in relief.

"I assume they were shouting about the kobold?" Daniel merely nodded.

Danger passed, I took a second to look around the room I found myself in. It was a woman's room...technically. In one corner, there was a lumpy bed scarcely big enough for one, and in the other, a small desk adorned with what appeared to be a toolkit and a worn, slumped candle, burning gloomily. 'Martha' was inscribed on the box in broad, crude letters, as those written by a child. Against the far wall, there was a wardrobe filled with dresses that, while the right shape and color, were too hole-ridden to be proper potato sacks. Above the bed was a small, barred window, plain and heavy curtains tied on either side.

"This room, it lacks...color, it lacks life. Look at those, Daniel. How could she wear those?"

"This ain't Castille, Rafael. Wearing bright colors just makes it easier for the monsters to see you."

"I suppose, but still...This is a joyless room. It's more a cell than anything." I wandered over to the desk; something about the toolkit caught my eye. "A joyless room in a joyless land. Hey, check this out." I picked up a tiny screwdriver.

"...It's a tiny screwdriver."

"Right, but what I mean is, it's too small to have any use for most people. I believe this woman has a panzerhand, and she does her own maintenance."

"Pansiewhat?"

"A panzerhand. It, uh, it's sort of like an iron glove. Like a gauntlet, but they're supposed to be almost as articulate as a real hand, and a hell of a lot more durable. Taking care of one is almost as complex as caring for a clock. Whoever she is, she's smart." I lightly rummaged through the box, and at the very bottom, I found a very small iron key. "Odd; that's not part of a standard kit. Won't fit a door..."

"You can drool over her tools later. Come on, let's get up those stairs before the guards return."

We were on the landing before I realized I'd taken the key with me. Crap. Well, can't really put it back now. I slid it into my breast pocket and promptly forget about it.

Atop the stairs, there was only one hallway, straightforward for once, leading to yet another set of double doors about 50 yards. Small barred windows lined the length of the otherwise bare western wall, interspersed with ensconced torches lighting our path.

I don't know what it was, but something about that door filled me with dread, the likes of which I'd never felt before. No...Not the door. Whatever was behind it.

But I'd promised my friend. If nothing else, I must go through those doors for him. By my side, I could see Daniel steeling himself similarly. There was something in those blue eyes of his, as though he was on a holy mission.

Perhaps we were.

Daniel nodded at me, and without a word we began to creep down the hall. Treading lightly on the hardwood floor, step after step, hardly daring to breathe. Every step I took was more difficult than the last, but still, we pressed on.

Halfway down the passage, the floor suddenly raised up an inch and I didn't catch it in time. I kicked the floor, and though I managed to keep from falling the noise seemed louder than a gunshot in the stillness. We froze, Daniel glaring at me with accusation in his eyes. We held for a minute, counting the seconds with heartbeats, but no sound came from the library doors. The only noise I could hear was yet more shouting in Eisen from outside, confused and angry.

We continued on, relieved that my misstep had gone unheeded, and too soon we were at the door. We both cautiously pressed our ears against it, listening for signs of life. For thirty seconds, all was silent...And then, a click.

Daniel planted his hands in my stomach and shoved me away from the door, actually lifting me off my feet. Just before I slammed into the wall behind me, I only had two thoughts. First, What the hell?? And second, why was that midget so thrice-damned strong?

As I hit the wall and my lungs bid farewell to the air within them, there was a deafening roar followed by a splintering crack and a fist-sized hole appeared in the space over Daniel's head, the space that had just been vacated by my chest. I threw up my arm, trying to keep the oak shards out of my eyes.

As it turns out, kicking the floor is in fact not louder than a gunshot.

Knocked off its hinges by the force of the ball, the door swung loosely into the hall. I drew my rapier and neatly sidestepped the door as it collapsed, unfastening my cloak and wrapping it about my right arm. Daniel however stood still, staring into the library, transfixed by what he saw. I couldn't blame him.

Staring down the barrel of a still-smoking musket stood a woman about my height in a shapeless brown dress. The way she carried herself suggested she was in her 30's, but the lines on her face told me she'd aged much more than she lived. Light blonde hair pulled back into a no-nonsense bun and eyes the color of her dress, the only things that really stood out were the broadsword at her hip and the metal glove on her left hand. Well, that and the fact that she was pointing a now-decorative musket at us. At her side stood a man who was a full ebon-topped head and shoulders taller than her, holding a pistol in one hand and an enormous longsword that was as long as Daniel. Swathed in black robes, he was as pale as the moon, and he looked as though he hadn't had a meal since before the War of the Cross. If eyes were the window to one's soul, he did not have one. As he leveled the gauntlet-clad hand holding the pistol at Daniel's head, I saw a glint of metal as his robes shifted. Was this fool wearing plate? For what purpose? Armor's been obsolete since before I was born.

On a table behind them rested a tome on a stand, bound in leather and covered in strange symbols that seemed to rearrange themselves as I watched. I found myself both fascinated and disgusted by it, and I could almost hear a faint whispering emanating from it. Ten yards behind that was a hearth providing reading light, and stretching out to the east were rows upon rows of bookshelves, with another entrance at the far end. The western wall had only a larger than average (though still barred) window obscured partially by curtains.

And then the Baron spoke. Just the thought of his voice still sends shivers up my spine today...Flat, emotionless, rasping, as though he were already dead, he paused often as if words were alien to him. It was mockery of all that was good and right.

"You...are trespassers. Leave...and...tell none...of what you've seen ton...ight. And you...shall live."

Daniel answered, charm-filled voice giving lie to the fear he must have felt at that moment. "I've got a counter-proposition for ya, Faulker. You give us that book and let us walk out of here, and YOU shall live."

At that moment, there was a rustling of feathers behind me, followed by a huge black bird swooping into the room. It alighted on a bust above the window. It preened itself for a second, smoothing out its wings, then turned its green eyes at the Baron and cawed. "Nevermore." The monkey was nowhere to be seen.

Daniel raised an eyebrow. "Cute."

"This...creature...it is...yours."

"Aye, he's on my side."

"This...the so called fly...ing kobold."

Daniel merely smirked.

Without even turning his gaze, faster than I could blink, the pistol left Daniel's head and fired. The raven shrieked, blood splattered on the wall, and there was a wet thud as it hit the floor. I gasped, and Daniel cried out "NO! You're gonna pay for that, you son of a -"

"I...know what it...is. I know...it is not as it app...ears. And it...is not dead."

Sure enough, the bird began to rustle. Somehow it regained its feet, and it fluttered back to its perch, shedding blood and feathers as it went.

That is one tough bird.

"Last...warning. Leave."

"Oh, I intend to." With that, Daniel reached into his vest and pulled out his own pistol. "But WITH the book, thanks." He aimed, and fired. There was a noise almost like the ringing of a bell as Baron Faulker jerked backwards from the force of the impact, but you wouldn't know it to look at him; his expression, like his voice, was completely dead. The acrid stench of gunpowder filled my nose as Dmitri's raven screeched and took flight, and I fully expected the Baron to keel over at any second.

But he didn't. He simply shrugged, and his robes puddled around his feet, revealing an almost patchwork assortment of armor with a luster unknown to any other metal; Greaves on one side of his body, a shoulder-length gauntlet on the other, and an unmarked breastplate in between. Of course! Dracheneisen; unique to the Eisen lands, four times as strong as steel and only a fifth of the weight, it was so rare that only Eisen nobles could afford it.

Eisen nobles. Like, say, Baron Faulker.
    Duh.

Still emotionless, the Baron assumed a two-handed grip on his sword. "Destroy."

In a voice more tired than I would have thought possible for her age, Martha answered "Yes, my love." She dropped the musket and drew her broadsword in her unprotected hand.

"Ok, Raf, you take her, and I'll handle Baron von Scaryguy."

"You sure about that?"

"No." Quick as a mongoose, Daniel chucked his pistol at Faulker and started running at him, drawing his knives. Unflinching even as it struck him on the temple, Faulker swung his sword in a wide arc that Daniel nimbly dodged. He tried to get in close, but was interrupted by another slash; that weapon was deceptively fast.

Meanwhile, Martha began to walk towards me, broadsword at the ready. I shifted my stance, cloak forward. "Come now, Senora. Surely we can talk thi-WHOA!" I neatly sidestepped an overhand chop and flicked my cloak at her face, circling to the right. "Careful! You could have hurt someone!" She turned to face me and thrusted. I sidestepped again and wrapped my cloak around her sword hand, slashing at her face. She brought her panzerhand up to deflect, scraping the edge of my blade and sending up sparks. She pulled free, and we began to dance. I never stopped moving, always circling to her right, disguising my outline behind my cloak and whipping it about her limbs, but she never grew tired, and any opening I could create was immediately filled by her metal hand.

From behind me, I heard the Inishman yell "The fire! Put it in the fire!" I had a brief moment to wonder what he was talking about before...

Have you ever heard a rabbit scream? It's perhaps the most heart-wrenching sound a man can hear in his lifetime, a high pitched grating shriek, the last sound a living creature makes when it knows it shall surely die.

This was worse. This was the sound of a rabbit dying, a pigs last squeal, a child screaming in agony, a mothers anguished wail, and a hundred, a thousand voices more, as though the world itself was dieing. I could hear my father crying in his sickbed, my sister's gurgling last gasps as she was held under, Yvette's shrills at the stake. Martha and I both clapped our hands to our ears and fell to our knees, bellowing along in a futile attempt to drown out the voices. Though I wanted more than anything to close my eyes, I forced myself to look at the source of the cacophony.

The grimoire we'd come to retrieve was in the hearth, flames dancing around it, and yet like my sister it did not burn. The symbols on its cover were furiously boiling and shifting, glowing the same color as the fire. Above us, the raven spun in erratic circles, obviously having difficulty staying aloft. Daniel and Faulker, however, seemed not to be affected.

Struggling to be heard above the din, I yelled "Daniel! Shut that thing up!!!! Get it out of the fire!"

"I'd love to, but I'm sorta tied down at the moment." he called back, dodging another swipe.

With tremendous effort, I forced myself to my feet and took my hands away from my ears. "Go! I've got your back." The rogue's eyes darted from me to the book to Faulker, and I could tell he was having trouble trusting me...but he nodded, and without another word he darted past the Baron. The gaunt man turned to follow him, but I wrapped my cloak about his head and pulled him backwards. "Oh no you don't you bastard! You're with me!"

Uncomplaining, he simply raised his sword and pressed the attack. Wild and unpredictable, I was barely able to keep ahead of him as he changed stances and grips fluidly, mixing wide devastating slashes with quick, spear-like thrusts. One such thrust I was too slow in dodging, and it scraped along my ribs opening a shallow but painful gash on my chest. In the heat of battle, I was only dimly aware that the unholy noise had stopped, replaced with a sound that reminded me of bacon sizzling on a grill.

Martha regained her senses, and immediately came to the aid of her husband. Now unable to do anything but defend, I was quickly backed against a wall. I parried a strike from her broadsword, but she pinned my sword down as Faulker lifted his arms above his head to deliver a blow I could not avoid.

Suddenly, a knife sprouted in his armpit. He froze, then wandered back a few steps, confusion finally on his face, something black and...chunky spewing from the wound. I took the opportunity to pull my sword free, entangling Martha's metal hand. Poised to deliver the finishing blow, I hesitated just a second...She was, after all, still a woman. Just a second. But it was enough.

"Give me that!" She grabbed the cloak with her iron glove and yanked me off balance, ripping it out of my hands. She threw it into the fire, and while I was still reeling off balance the last thing I saw was her iron fist filling my vision.

There was a sickening crunch as my nose shattered YET AGAIN, and any reservations I had about killing a woman promptly vanished. Unfortunately, I could no longer see her to do so. I stumbled away, hand flailing out for something to hold on to, and I grabbed onto the curtains on the window. I ripped them down and wiped the blood out of my eyes in time to see the raven flying back into this room the way we'd come in, book in its talons, six VERY angry guardsmen with pikes coming up behind it.

"Rafael! You and D...The bird have to go out the other door! I'll hold these dingleberries off."

I spat out a tooth and looked up at Daniel. "Don't be an idiot! You can't-"

"But I will! No matter what, that book MUST leave the building! GO!!" Still unsure, I nodded anyway and sprinted across the room, wrapping the curtain partially around my hand, Martha and the bird at my heels. Lucky for me, the far doors opened outward, as I discovered at the cost of a bruised shoulder. I swung behind the door as it opened, and when the bird and the woman came through I slammed it shut, threading my scabbard through the handles. Not the best bar, but hopefully it would buy us a minute if someone tried to follow us. I wished Daniel luck, then turned to face my adversary...

Who was already halfway down the corridor, completely ignoring me and chasing the bird. I followed them down, watching helplessly as she managed to clip the raven with the flat of her broadsword and throw it into the wall with such force I heard its frail bones crack. It fell to the floor, book clattering on the wood. I was halfway there when she raised her sword; half again when it turned its bright green eyes on me and croaked out in a fading voice "Sergei...Yu...Yulia..."

The names of Dmitri's brother and his wife.

It was then I realized; The birds size, its eyes, Faulkers comment on its true nature...This was not Dmitri's bird.

This was Dmitri.

I wouldn't be able to make it to her in time, the way I was running. Her sword was already coming down. So, I did the only sensible thing; I dove, lashing out with the end of the curtain. It barely reached, but enough of it wrapped around her wrist that I was able to pull her aside at the last second so that her sword slammed into the floor beside Dmitri. At the same time, a shrieking capuchin jumped off a windowsill and darted between her legs and began dragging the book that was almost as big as it was down the hall, though it wasn't going very quickly. Martha moved to give chase; I grabbed at her ankle.

She turned around and kicked at me. I rolled out of the way and stood up. We exchanged some strikes, but she seemed to be as fresh as when we started, whereas I...wasn't. I grew sloppy and with a thunderous blow she knocked my rapier out of my hand. I defended myself as best I could with the curtain, but soon she slipped past my guard again and I was being held against the wall, her metal fingers crushing the life out of my throat. My vision began to tunnel until all I could see was her lined tired face, and I knew...this was the end. I'd failed, and we were all going to die here. I clutched my hand to my chest, seeking solace in the Cross of the Prophets in my final seconds.

What the...That's not my cross.

The key.

I reached into my pocket and pulled it out, blindly forcing it into what I hoped was the locking mechanism at the base of her hand and turning it with what little strength I had left.

click

Immediately I was able to breathe again. I fell down, gasping and coughing and prying the fingers off my throat while in the distance I heard a woman shrieking in torment. I flung the panzer hand away, and half walked half crawled towards where my rapier lay. I armed myself, and turned to face her.

She was the woman screaming, crying wordlessly at the stump where her hand had been.

Oh.

Well, I didn't do that.

She suddenly charged at me roaring like an animal wounded, no longer paying heed to anything else. Her rage made her clumsy, and I easily avoided her attack, and the next one, and the next. She was tireless as ever, but where before she was calculated and efficient she was now crude and reckless. I'd seen this look before, on every bull goaded into a frenzy by my sword. Somewhere within myself I found the strength to fight on, and I led her back, neatly sidestepping each wild attack until I found myself against a banister; I'd led her to the landing. Finally breathless, she rushed me again, shouting curses in Eisen; I swirled my makeshift cloak around her head and pulled her forward, using her momentum to throw her over the railing.

She was suspended for an instant, weightless...And then she plummeted, cursing me until she smashed against the floor below. I peered over, half afraid that she'd already be on her feet, but no; although she was still breathing, she was unconscious and her knee was bent the wrong way. She couldn't get up if she tried. I drew the sign of the cross in the air above her, then walked back down the hall, taking note of a window whose bars had rusted away and not been replaced.

I sniffed, surprised I could smell anything with my nose the way it was. Was that...Burning fur?

Sure enough, when I reached the monkey (who was barely 10 feet from where he started, poor fella) his hands were raw and blistered. I shooed him off, and bent to pick up the book.

"SON OF A....GYYAAHH!!"

Ok, so that would explain the fur and the sizzling sound I heard earlier. Daniel was right; this was an evil book. I wrapped it in the curtain and picked it up; there we go.

I knelt over the bird; He squawked miserably, but Dmitri was still alive, thank Theus, and could even fly on his own.

The doors rattled, then shook as though hit an axe, reverberating down the hall.

No...Daniel...

They shook again, the impact even louder than a gunshot, but the doors were built to withstand rams, and no matter how strong Faulker was, he couldn't break them down this soon.

That's when the doors dissolved.

They didn't break, or splinter, or shatter, or even explode. They simply...disintegrated as I watched, noiselessly warping and aging into sawdust. The metal handles clattered to the floor, my scabbard still holding them together. There in the portal stood Baron Faulker with his hand outstretched, the whites of his eyes gone pitch black.

****. **** **** **** **** ****.

I scooped up Dmitri and his monkey. The last thing I saw before I turned was Faulker extending a single finger in my direction.

I made it about three steps before the pain hit, pitching me forward onto the floor. Spasms wracked my body and I convulsed as I felt my limbs desiccating; but I took my feet again and I continued on, holding on to the wall for balance. I nearly fell again when my hand dipped into a window well...

Hold on a second. Hadn't one of the windows lost its fortifications?

Yes, it had. It was too small for me to fit through - and too far of a drop anyway - but right now, I wasn't worried about myself. I smashed the glass in with my elbow and bid Dmitri, the monkey, and the book farewell. I turned to face the Baron...

Who was already gazing out a window, arm extended beyond the bars. I looked out mine, and saw Dmitri plummeting to the earth, body withering and feathers turning grey as I watched. The monkey screeched helplessly as they fell...

Into a pair of waiting, gloved arms. A middle-aged Montaigne man stood in the courtyard, long hair the color of clouds with silk gloves that ran all the way to his shoulders. Though it was after midnight, he was impeccably dressed, as always. My sister's husband, Francois des Gaulles. I'd never been so happy to see the old fop.

Come to think of it, I'd never been happy to see him at all.

He looked up at me and called out in Montaigne. "Ten minutes, Renaldo. I suggest you hurry." Then, with a sound like meat tearing, his arm sank into the air up to his elbow. The Baron began to scream with rage, and as I watched the very stone walls of his keep began to corrode away, but des Gaulles paid him no mind, apparently beyond the range of Faulker's evil sorcery. The Montaigne pulled his arm down, opening a wound in the flesh of reality. He placed his gloved hand over the monkey's eyes, who placed its own over Dmitri's, and then they were gone.

Howling with impotent fury, the Baron unleashed his blight, and everything within a 20 foot radius of him was consumed in his madness. At this point, I had two options; stay and cross swords with a man possessed, who could rip the very essence of my life away with a glance; or get the hell out of there.

I turned, and I ran like I'd never run before. I somehow found my way out of the manor and I careened down the mountainside counting the seconds. I made it back to camp in exactly 8 minutes and 23 seconds, and the wagons were already on the move, mine included. I climbed on board, hobbled in the general direction of my bed, and collapsed halfway unable to continue. I had to trust in des Gaulles and my driver to lead us to safety.

This was not to be the last I saw of Baron Faulker, but that is a story for another day.

tl;dr That guy is seriously scary. Also, a monkey.
    Last edited by Marillion; 2010-09-10 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

14. - Top - End - #44

Also, what on earth is a Paragenasi?
    I had no idea when our DM posted a list of our character sheets. I kinda feel like a dummy for not having looked it up until now, despite playing with the character for two whole sessions.

Anyways, Paragenasis are a plane-touched race, being descended from outsiders of one of the elemental planes. Their obscurity probably comes from the fact that after 3.5E's release, no sourcebooks or articles were published about them. Also, they have pretty nice ability score modifiers for LA+0 races.

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion
    stuff
    Nice job! Writing natural-sounding dialogue and delivering the dialogue with distinct character voices is quite the feat.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Wow. That was epic

Also, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Ye've got more names than I've got possible dads, an' that's sayin' somethin. Now hush up, will ya?"
    Pure utter brilliance made me laugh out loud.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hehe, thanks.

Some fun facts:

-Daniel's heroic last stand came about because his player had to leave. He will be missed.
    -Martha lost her hand in an accident involving her husband's new-found powers. Honestly, she might be scarier than Faulker just because she's batguano crazy enough to still love the Baron.
    -Nobody calls The Baron by his name, IC or OOC. Instead, he's "THAT ****ING GUY." Yes, we say it in caps. Yes, every time.
    Last edited by Marillion; 2010-09-11 at 09:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

17. - Top - End - #47

Bumpage, FOR GREAT MIGHT!

My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Okay, I'm gonna try my hand at this. Most of these will be re-written elements of previous games, starting with an alternate Dragonlance history where a rather... different group recovered the Discs of Mishakal...

The Kender of Infinite Capacity
    Although the details are better unknown...

Spoiler
    Show
    It has been a difficult time thought Sir Ebor, blowing air through his copious mustache as he sat at the campfire. War begins to spread across the land, and we are the land's only hope of returning the Gods to the world... He looked around. At the failed cleric turned gambler, the kender who identified himself only as Dimble ("Just Dimble!" he'd cheerily introduced himself), and at the mysterious red mage who had come to their aid against that thrice cursed Black Dragon. Paladine have mercy on the poor sods.

Sir Ebor looked again at the Kender... it had been uncharacteristically well behaved for one of its thieving ilk, and he did not believe for one second the typical Kenderish lies of "Is this yours? Sorry, I completely forgot I had it" for a moment. Something was very wrong here, and he intended to discover what... after all, if those strange lizard creatures could masquerade as pilgrims, who knew what lies the Dark Queen could unleash?

"DIMBLE!" he roared, his chestplate vibrating beneath the force of the cry. He was unafraid of people hearing him, for nothing could stand 'neath the blade of Paladine's chosen and live! Dimble daintily minced his way over to the fire. Something was definitely different. For a start, Kender generally do not mince, or flounce, or indeed do anything but strut. Sir Ebor became, if anything, more suspicious.

"What" he growled, stressing each syllable "Are you doing?" The Kender, seemingly oblivious, if looking slightly pained, was a picture of innocence. But Sir Ebor was not convinced, even less so when Dimble's reply of "Nothing!" was of an even higher pitch than usual. Sir Ebor then realised, and the horror of such desecration almost made him faint. However, wrath triumphed over horror, and, without further ado, Sir Ebor bodily hauled the kender over to a nearby clearing...

...When he had retrieved the Disks of Mishakal from his "companion", he looked at them and almost fainted once more. While unharmed, he was not looking forward to explaining this to his fellow knights. Better not to mention it, he thought. Turning it over in his now grubby hands, he added ...especially not the sandwashing.

EDIT: For those who worked out exactly what Dimble had done, yes, this actually happened in a game I ran... Don't ask.
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-18 at 10:19 AM.
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"
    - Darkpuppy, on Wizards in his DnD games.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

All The Kings Men IC (DEAD)
    All The Kings Men OOC (DEAD)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

due to me starting a new group on campus "the death of Kelvar" is on indefinite hold, instead,I plan to begin to regale you all with tales of my new group...

I imagine with a great amount of creative liscense until they get a handle on roleplaying....

until then, I await more snippets from the rest of you with great anticipation.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by darkpuppy View Post
    EDIT: For those who worked out exactly what Dimble had done, yes, this actually happened in a game I ran... Don't ask.
    What did- Oh. Oh wait. I just realised... That is so wrong...

Well written though I have a wonderful image in my head of Sir Ebor swelling his chest and roaring mightily.

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    due to me starting a new group on campus "the death of Kelvar" is on indefinite hold, instead,I plan to begin to regale you all with tales of my new group...

I imagine with a great amount of creative liscense until they get a handle on roleplaying....

until then, I await more snippets from the rest of you with great anticipation.
    I read that as 'kevlar' at first *facepalm*

I am in the middle of writing another snippet as we speak (only we're not speaking, and I'm not actually writing it right now.). I started it on my laptop and forgot to save it to my email drafts so I could access it at work. Of course, I'll have to resave it as a Word doc, since I use Open Office at home. This one is from our alternative campaign. The monk from our usual campaign has DM'd on occassion when our usual DM doesn't have the time to run the game. This snippet will be from my character in that campaign.

Also, we had our usual game yesterday and had a truly lovely fight - that um, didn't go quite as planned. We were expecting it to be really hard, DM confessed afterwards that he fully expected a couple of us to die during the fight. Instead - we wiped the floor with them. Oops

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Replying to myself I know... but I finished my latest snippet

My other character, as I said, in a letter to her Mama.

Letters Home
    or I Told You I Was Having Fun

Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Mama

You said you wanted me to write and tell you any news I had – well, I’ve been promoted! My whole team was in fact, we are now members of Regdar, Regd-, Redgon – oh I’m not sure how it’s spelt and Ron isn’t here to ask (obviously not, as I’m in the female barracks and he’s male). I’m really very lucky he’s around, I’m sure my reports wouldn’t make very much sense if the CO had to read them as I write it. Sometimes big words confuse me.

Anyway, after our last two missions, we were told that there was an opening in Red- the Rangers, and we were offered those places! You can tell Papa that he was worrying for nothing, I’m fine. Okay, there was a bit of trouble after our last job, but I’ve been completely healed and Beda said there wouldn’t be any scars. Oh! You won’t know who Beda even is; I haven’t told you about my new team have I? Beda is a cleric of Perha, she’s very pretty and awfully nice. Last time we were in the barracks she told me she used to go around giving last rites to people who were dying. That’s how we met actually, she’d been sent by the Temple to give last rites to one of the important men who was dying. I’m sorry Mama, I know you like to have details, but I simply can’t remember what his name was. Beda said there might be a problem with my memory for a while. Maybe you shouldn’t tell Papa that. Anyway, Beda is good to have around, she was really nice about patching me up and she seemed grateful that I’d been there.

Ron was definitely happy that I was there. He’s a gnome, and he’s really short (obviously!). He is a wizard, he was talking about his training and all the spells he learnt, and honestly it gave me a bit of a headache. I think he’s much much smarter than I am. Still he was really nice about helping me with my report writing, so I don’t mind so much. He was also really happy that I was able to get in the way of the fighting. Wizards don’t seem to be very tough, some of the other fighters have laughed at him and called him a ‘squishy wizard’. I’d have to say that they’re right, but I wonder if they’ve seen the sort of things I’ve seen Ron do. He’s really very clever. I do wish he’d shut up sometimes though, he talks an awful lot. And he’s really annoying whenever he gets anywhere near Kregg. Kregg is a kobold, you know they don’t get on well with gnomes. Kregg and Ron are very good at proving that. They constantly nag at each other. I got so sick of it last time we were out that I yelled at them both to shut up. I don’t think they really listened to me. No one ever really listens to me, unless I’m telling them to get out of the way of my swing.

The last member of the group – well, he’s gone AWOL. Osserc is an archer, and he’s really good. He can get two arrows in the air at the same time, it’s neat to watch. He’s been helpful, softening things up until I can get there to do the real damage. But he’s also vanished. I wonder if I should mention that to our CO? I mean, I’m sure he knows about it, but maybe we should be looking for him. What do you think Mama?

Does Rikad want details of all our fights? He probably does. You can tell him the first big thing we fought was a pastry! Well, it wasn’t really – it was a golem, but it had been created by the wife of a baker, so it was made out of calzone. It was really tough, which surprised me; but it tasted pretty good afterwards. I know what you’re thinking – that wasn’t very nice, but the baker didn’t seem to mind. He was a bit upset, but he seemed to realise that it was his fault that it had gone all wrong in the first place. Well, maybe more his wife’s fault – he’s just a baker, she’s the wizard. Or would that be wizardess? She’s the one who animated it, and I guess it was her spells going crazy that sent it crazy. Ron explained it, but well, you know me Mama, most of it went in one ear and out the other. I’m not worried though, they don’t pay me to think. I [u]was[/i] impressed though, did you know Mama, she had animay she’d made a poker that thought. Ron called it something, but I’m not sure how it’s meant to be written, so I’m not going to try. It talked at us, and tried to keep us out of the house though. It was surprisingly hard to stop. In the end Osserc did it with his bow. He’s a really good shot.

Our second mission was scarier. Don’t tell Papa, but I nearly got knocked out. It’s a good thing Beda was around, because I’m not sure any of the boys have any idea about healing. I’m running out of room on this paper, and I don’t have any more, so I’d better keep it short. But we had to investigate this old guy, who’s really well known in Dandanagan, but was getting really sick and old looking. Which apparently he wasn’t supposed to. We went and investigated, and it turned out that his nephew (nephew? I think that’s who he was, either that or his son) had gotten himself involved in some sort of cult nonsense. The silly idiot even stabbed his own sister. She was rather pissed off about that.

Maybe you shouldn’t tell Rikad that part. He doesn’t need to get any ideas, and I’d rather not have to fight him off next time I visit home.

We sorted it out though – eventually. And I got my first taste of magic! Ron cast a spell he calls enlarge person on me. And well, that’s exactly what it did. I quite like being huge, it was fun. It didn’t really help much in the fight though. It threw my balance off, and I wasn’t expecting it to be that way, so I ended up almost tripping over my own feet, and I couldn’t get my sword swinging properly. Made me very effective at standing in front of people though. The silly idiot apologised in the end, and his uncle (father?) forgave him, so it all turned out okay.

So you see Mama, I’m doing all right. It was after that mission we got promoted, so you could say I’m doing really all right. We even get to keep what we find, if we can’t find any owner for it. I’m going to enjoy belonging to this new ranger unit I think. I’m wondering what else I can do to be more helpful. I wonder if a dog would help? I wonder if they’d let me have one? I think I’ll ask.

Give my love to Papa and Rikad, and have heaps of it all to yourself.

Love Lirrin

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

that was cute =]

Now I kinda wanna post up a letter my dwarf knight sent back to the master of his order.....

but its from my campaign that I try not to talk about because I'm scared people will spoil things for me =[ (pre made module)

thoughts?

anyways, I really enjoyed that snippet

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

that was cute =]
    Thank you to be honest, I wrote it like that because I didn't have my notes with me and couldn't remember the specifics of each fight, so I made it mostly fluff.

but its from my campaign that I try not to talk about because I'm scared people will spoil things for me =[ (pre made module)

thoughts?
    If you really want to, go ahead, just ask people not to spoil anything for you

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thank you to be honest, I wrote it like that because I didn't have my notes with me and couldn't remember the specifics of each fight, so I made it mostly fluff.

If you really want to, go ahead, just ask people not to spoil anything for you
    I liked it, it seemed..... I dunno, almost more personal.

anyways, I've been really 'eh' about posting the name of the module because I was worried people would spoil it for me anyways....

but I digress.

very well, I give you "Roche's letter to the order" #1, this takes place after the death of Kelvar, and is a summary of the events that have happend since session one (arriving in the village) and the last session we played.

this is meant to be an extremely conscise summary and evaluation of the situation, as Roche does not have access to a courier trusts.

anyways, without further ado (got it right this time!)

*note, this is exactly as it was when the DM got it.... the handwriting font I used may not carry over, but I'll try to make it so
    **note, these forums do not have the font I used.

Spoiler
    Show
    The following message is written in Terran

To Snorri Glitterbeard, Master of The Order Of The Shield Of The Mountian, also known as The Shield of the Mountian, hold-renowned smithy and warrior

A message from The Smoulderbeard.

Grungi’s blessings upon ye. I have arrived at the town to which I was dispatched, in order to investigate the temple of the elemental evil, below is a recounting of the events that have transpired since my arrival.

Since being sent forth to investigate the temple of evil, I have begun to travel with several other adventuring folk, an odd group of misfits to say the least, I travel with a half giant who calls himself “Mongo”, a worshipper of Dragons known as “Kelvar”. He’s an odd lad, even for a manling, but he seems solid enough in a fight. Next is “Verad” a Human Druid, and his pet bison…”fluffy”, tree worship and …’unique’ naming habits aside, he seems to be dependable…. For a manling.

Upon the day of my arrival, along with my … compatriots, sought refuge within the ‘Welcome Wench’ a tavern that possesses not an ounce of proper beer, not even by manling standards. After settling in, we explored the town a bit, including a errand run into the local potion shop, we then discovered that the potion-master was missing, and the shop was being run by his daughter and her dwarven bodyguard in his absence. I pledged myself and my companions to retrieve the girl’s father. My companions and I then set off forthwith for what is known as “the moat house” about these parts. Within the moat house, we encountered a youngling blue dragon, Kelvar, spirits rest him, was slain in the battle with the beast by its lightning breath, Verad and I proceeded to cut the dragon to pieces, I’m having its head stuffed and mounted in the local taxidermy, should make a fine mantelpiece upon my return to the hold. After giving Kelvar a proper burial, we headed back the next day with a new companion in tow… He be an elf by the name of Glyff, he’s an odd one right enough, even by the standards of the manlings I’m surrounded by, he claims to have been cursed by a wizard some time ago and that is the cause of his ‘unique’ appearance, the elf has bright red hair and a few other ‘distinguishing’ features. I’d appreciate if you set a scribe or three to doing some research to see if they can find tale of any such wizard, curse, or elf. I have known him only for a few days, and while he has stood his ground in combat, I’ve yet to take his measure. Upon our return to the Moat house, we discovered t he girls father and returned him immediately to his home. The day after that, we went forth to the moat house once again, as it is our only lead to the temple. On This trip, we encountered several gnolls that quickly fell in combat to our blades. Beneath the moat house is a vast tunnel complex, I have not had time to explore this complex yet, but I my companions and I leave with a local paladin in the morning to explore it further… which brings me to the purpose of this missive…

Beneath the moat house we encountered several ghouls, and as I mentioned before, discovered a cavern and tunnel complex that seems to spread out beyond the moat house, within this complex we discovered something…vile, it is a shrine to, what I have been informed, is “the temple of the evil eye”, I tell ye, This place offended every fibre of my being. I cannot stress this enough, this place was evil, and unholy far beyond my knowledge to deal with. Knowing this, we retreated immediately back to the town to seek the aid and guidance of the local clergy in purging this place from the realm. We have sought aid from the clerics of Pelor, Ehlonna, and St. Cuthburt, at this time the head clerics of all three temples are currently researching and communing with their gods as to the best course of action, as of this writing, The alter has not been destroyed, I have been convinced by the combined wisdom of the clergy that wanton destruction could awaken…something, I have also recruited a paladin to my efforts to destroy this place, but his hand too, is held in check by the clerics, we eagerly await the conclusion of their research so we may purge this place, it offends the both of us to our souls. In the meantime, another development has arisen that may stay my hand from the destruction of the alter further yet, my companion , Verad, has disappeared. And we cannot find him. I am honorbound to find him before I destroy the temple, I cannot leave my companion to whatever fate might befall him.

At the time of this writing, I am not in need of assistance, however, I realize this place could hold my doom, or worse, so I do request that you place 5 Battle Brothers on alert that they may be sent here, if resources permit. If they do not, especially if they do not, I pray you would consider putting out the call to the Slayers, something tells me there is many a fell deed and mighty doom to be found here.

Praise be to the Ancestor-Gods, Grimnir, Grungi, and Valaya! For they have placed weapons in our hands, and foes before us, surely we are blessed in their sight.

May the ancestors’ eyes be upon you
    Khazak un Uzkul
    Roche Smoulderbeard, Knight of The Shield of the Mountain

for those of you who didn't guess it
    the module we are running is the temple of elemental evil

PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL THIS FOR ME!!!

25. - Top - End - #55

While we're on the subject of Dwarves, I'm currently working on what was more or less the defining moment of great kickassery for my first character, but college is in the way.

I'm hoping to have it up by this weekend.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I liked it, it seemed..... I dunno, almost more personal.
    Thank you, that was the plan

I'm thinking the rest of her snippets will be in the form of a soldier's report to their CO. She's the fighter of the group, and intelligence was her dump stat (hence all the crossed out words she couldn't spell), so I'm thinking a report to a superior should work. And it gives me a chance to try something different to what I'm doing with Silver.

As an added bonus, it forced me to decide how to spell her name. I had about five different variations of Lirrin and I couldn't decide which one I liked best. At least I've had to make up my mind now!

very well, I give you "Roche's letter to the order" #1, this takes place after the death of Kelvar, and is a summary of the events that have happend since session one (arriving in the village) and the last session we played.
    I'm still reading this as kevlar, I'm afraid Name is Kelvar...

To Snorri Glitterbeard, Master of The Order Of The Shield Of The Mountian, also known as The Shield of the Mountian, hold-renowned smithy and warrior
    Snorri is a wonderful name, I love it and I love the use of 'manlings' it sounds so wonderfully diminutive, and coming from a dwarf, it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetPizza View Post
    but college is in the way.

I'm hoping to have it up by this weekend.
    College is evil, I understand. Ohh, and I'm going away this weekend, I won't be able to read it

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thank you, that was the plan

I'm thinking the rest of her snippets will be in the form of a soldier's report to their CO. She's the fighter of the group, and intelligence was her dump stat (hence all the crossed out words she couldn't spell), so I'm thinking a report to a superior should work. And it gives me a chance to try something different to what I'm doing with Silver.

I'm still reading this as kevlar, I'm afraid Name is Kelvar...

Snorri is a wonderful name, I love it and I love the use of 'manlings' it sounds so wonderfully diminutive, and coming from a dwarf, it just works.

College is evil, I understand. Ohh, and I'm going away this weekend, I won't be able to read it
    ye're welcome, =]
    I look forward to seeing her try to sound 'official' it promises to be very amusing.

kevlar vs kelvar.
    my sincerest apologies, in the group this happend in, it's typically my job to prevent terrible names (typically by pointing out an easy joke that can be made off of them) I obviously failed in this task by either a) not making the obvious kevlar joke or b) not making it obvious enough that it'd needed to be changed...

don't worry, you'll get it eventually.

I wish I could take credit for coming up with "snorri" on my own, but I read too much warhammer for that. same thing with manlings.... but it DOES flow well from a dwarf doesn't it? ^_^

and yes, college is evil
    except when you get a wonderful gaming group together comprising of your felllow students AND faculty.

I"m afraid I don't know when the next installment of "Roche's letters" will be, I haven't gamed with that group since I left for college back in august.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by big teej
    except when you get a wonderful gaming group together comprising of your felllow students AND faculty.
    Le gasp. Where do you go to college? I haven't been able to find a group like this despite about 40,000 students on campus and who knows how many faculty members and clubs (didn't see any tabletop gaming-related ones at the club fair, though ).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Wingate University, NC

student populatin less than 5000

a few weeks back I put up fliers all over campus (class buildings, dorm halls) and got 2 players from that, then, exasperated and desperate for players, I asked my faculty advisor about students/faculty/staff on campus that played, and he sent me too my sociology teacher, who sent me to the 3 teachers that are now in my group

session 2 is this weekend and the party has ALOT of money to spend do to me rolling the highest possible for random treasure.

40 platinum in one roll is ALOT for newbies
    Last edited by big teej; 2010-09-22 at 02:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

ye're welcome, =]
    I look forward to seeing her try to sound 'official' it promises to be very amusing.
    Promises to do my head in more like it

She's a pre-rolled character, and intelligence was her dump stat (it's an 8 I believe), but charisma is a 10. I'm trying to play her as big and solid, and a hard hitter (she is a fighter after all), friendly and open, but not overly bright. Not stupid (I figure 8 is only just below average), but a bit of a slow thinker, not great with words or spelling, and prefers to let others do the thinking for her. She's not smart, but at the same time, she's smart enough to know that she's not.

Unfortunately, I have two university degrees, one of which is post-grad - so my natural intelligence would be somewhere like a 16 or 17. Trying to write someone not-that-smart is doing my head in (as arrogant as that sounds ).

I wish I could take credit for coming up with "snorri" on my own, but I read too much warhammer for that. same thing with manlings.... but it DOES flow well from a dwarf doesn't it? ^_^
    It really does. Snorri makes me think that he snores really badly and that's where the name came from

session 2 is this weekend and the party has ALOT of money to spend do to me rolling the highest possible for random treasure.

40 platinum in one roll is ALOT for newbies
    Yikes! I don't think we've ever been given that much in one go, and we're Level 12!