Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XI

Swa cwæð eardstapa,_________So spoke the wanderer,
    earfeþa gemyndig,____________mindful of hardships,
    wraþra wælsleahta,___________of fierce slaughters
    winemæga hryre:_____________and the downfall of kinsmen:

-From "The Wanderer," as preserved in the Codex Exeter

Quote Originally Posted by Raakhama'karma
    Raakhama’karma The Wanderer
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Swashbuckler|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |20|Weapon Finesse(b), Weapon Focus - Rapier|

2nd|Monk|
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |5|Stunning Fist(b)|Flurry of Blows, UNarmed Strike, AC Bonus

3rd|Monk|
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |5|Feiry Fist(b, phb2), Combat Expertise|Evasion, Fast Movement +10ft

4th|Monk|
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |5||Still Mind

5th|Monk|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |5||Ki Strike, Slow Fall (20ft),Unarmed Strike (D8)

6th|Stone Blessed|
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |3|Improved Disarm|Stonebond(gnome)

7th|Stone Blessed|
    +5
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |3||Racial Battle Technique (Gnome)

8th|Stone Blessed|
    +6
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |3||Stoneborn (Gnome)

9th|Ranger|
    +7
    |
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |7|Track(b), Dodge|Favoured Enemy – Aberrations, Wild Empathy

10th|Blade Bravo|
    +8
    |
    +11
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |5|Goad(RoS)|Flourish

11th|Blade Bravo|
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |5||Mobile Fighting

12th|Blade Bravo|
    +10
    |
    +12
    |
    +10
    |
    +6
    |5|Mobility(b), Spring Attack|

13th|Ranger|
    +11
    |
    +13
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |7||Combat Style (ranged)

14th|Blade Bravo|
    +12
    |
    +13
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |5||Melee Sneak attack(D6)

15th|Blade Bravo|
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |5|Combat Tactician(Phb2)|Size Advantage

16th|Blade Bravo|
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +13
    |
    +7
    |5|Improved Trip|

17th|Blade Bravo|
    +15
    |
    +14
    |
    +13
    |
    +7
    |5||Small but Deadly

18th|Blade Bravo|
    +16
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +7
    |5|Ki Blast(phb2)|Melee Sneak Attack(2D6)

19th|Blade Bravo|
    +17
    |
    +15
    |
    +14
    |
    +8
    |5|Improved Critical(b)|

20th|Blade Bravo|
    +18
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |
    +8
    |5||Lethal Riposte[/table]

Race: Githzerai

32pt buy
    Str 12 (4)
    Dex 16 (10)
    Con 12 (4)
    Int 15 (8)
    Wis 12 (4)
    Cha 10 (2)

Racial Modified Stats at level 1
    Str 12 (+1)
    Dex 22 (+6)
    Con 12 (+1)
    Int 13 (+1)
    Wis 14 (+2)
    Cha 10 (-)

PSI-like and SP Abilities
    3/Day
    Feather Fall
    Shatter (DC 12)
    Daze (DC 10)
    1/Day Plane shift (at level 11)
    1/day speak with animals (from Stone Blessed)

Levels 1-5
    Beginning his life aboard a AEther vessel amongst a raiding group, Raakh quickly adapted to a violent and unsafe life living by taking from others. However when stranded on the material plane after a failed raid he quickly sought refuge with a small, local, monk temple where he settled into the time honoured traditions of both his people and the monks therein.
    During this time he became friendly with a number of gnomes who shared his outlook on life, and his lust for action against the aberrant threats in the world.

Mechanics: At these levels, he functions as a back up fighter, held back a bit by his level adjustments, but hopefully the massive racial dexterity and inertial armour still allowing him to contribute. Feiry fist at these levels is awesome, as is flurry, allowing him multiple attacks in a round. When using the rapier (I’m sure someone will prove me wrong on this) he can use his unarmed strike as a secondary natural attack, giving him that little extra oomph in tough corners.
    Skills wise, the character will probably focus on Tumble with some ranks in bluff and craft to help with the prestiges later on.

Levels 6-10
    Traveling to his friends lands deep inside a mountain, they discover a mindflayer nest, and after defeating the creatures he is honoured and invited formally to join the Gnomish Community, with precious few opportunities in the material world he gladly accepts, If only so as not to feel like an outcast any more.
    Life amongst the gnomes is peaceful and tranquil, but with everpresent threats from the dark underground environment, Raakh takes up hunting in the darkness to dispatch the creatures who might otherwise prey on his new home. Whilst doing this, he encounters a duelling club, hidden from the eyes of outsiders within the city. This brings back strong memories of the beginning of his life, and he begins duelling with his peers (although at a slight disadvantage because of his size) and tales of his skill starts to spread throughout the community.

Mechanics: Using the rules in the Unearthed Arcana (Page 18) to buy off the level adjustments from the Githzerai Race affords a fast development at these levels. Levelling up in Stoneblessed allows for some really strange RP as you get into gnomish styles other bizarity. The boosts on listen checks are always handy, and the gnome stoneblessed get the very skills they need in order to qualify for the secret ingredient.
    Combat bonuses are also handy, ac boosts vs giants, and bonuses to hit goblinoids (and if your dm doesn’t mind being mocked for running them, kobolds) topped off with a decent con boost makes for a lot of bonus power (and much needed hp).
    Moving on into Ranger… I’ve never been sorry to have track on my list of feats, and the skills are a nice bonus too, but it also gives you the change to take a very characterful favoured enemy, either to customise yourself for what your DM is happiest throwing at you, or to shore up your weaknesses against enemies you hate fighting, its all good.
    And of course Blade Bravo!

Levels 11-15
    Years pass and his skills improve, eventually he leaves the gnomes to search for a way back to the monasteries of his own people in limbo to retire in, picking up several new skills and undertaking great achievements on the way.

Mechanics: Theres not too much to say here, Melee Sneak attack, bonuses against anything bigger than you… The feats I’ve chosen so far get doped up with more tricks, and I noticed Combat Tactician earlier today, it looks fairly solid for a mobile fighter, and Blade Bravo itself seems to poke you toward spring attack, so I took it. The increased movement from the monk class comes in real handy here.
    The second level of ranger looks a little out of place, but I noticed that the class lacks any ranged abilities, so a longbow and rapid shot I figured might be useful and help round out the character.

Levels 16-20
    Raakh eventually finds his place and retires, although he keeps his sword in practice, training a new batch of pirates and duellists as a master of the blade. Occasionally setting out to test the mettle of other sword masters as their reputation reaches him…

Mechanics: Finishing the Blade Bravo class off. Theres nothing I’d really want outside this class with the progression I’ve had so far, I’ve chosen trip in these levels, mostly to give me a few extra options. Plus its really funny to go on a spring attack run tripping people along the way. Disarm and trip work really well with Lethal Riposte, allowing you to put your enemy on the floor, or loose their weapon when they attack you each round. Slight weirdness from me here – Ki Blast(phb2). All I can say is “Habdoken”!
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-09 at 02:31 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"A monstrous fish that is afloat in a fathomless sea. A giant Bull, Kujuta, rides upon it.s back and upon the bull is a Ruby Mountain. On top of the Ruby mountain is an Angel, over which lay the 6 hells, then the earth and then the 7 heavens, at the very top."
    The Story of Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ssejkosjth
    The Story of Ssejkosjth "Seth" Tibur Hedwann Ux Bahamuti
    Spoiler
    Show

Hello, my friend. Sit, rest, have an ail. They just tapped a keg of the summer brew, and it is a warming draught on this chill night. Oh? You think I'm a bit small to be drinking, do you? Well, I will bet you good money that I can drink you under the table, twice my size or no! Not only am I Dragon Born, but once I was a Gnome!

Why the change, you ask? Well, that is a sad tale, but I am willing to tell it if you would care to hear it.

My first life is a little like a pleasant dream to me now. I can remember my wife, my daughter, our home, our village. Our days were filled with joy and laughter, hard work and good company. It was only at the end that it became a nightmare, but that was enough to change me forever.

It was kobolds. It's always the kobolds, or the lizard folk, or dragons. But that first time, it was Kobolds. They came suddenly, without warning. Burst up out of the basement of the village guard tower, having tunneled up from beneath. A stroke of exquisite luck, or a masterful strategy I shall never know, but they swept through the village guards first, while all were still abed. Our greatest warriors, each a Bravo, taken before the fight began!

The din raised the alarm, and all able bodied men roused themselves to the fight, but with all of our best slaughtered in the first moments and the heart of our defenses taken, we were already doomed. I fought alongside my friends and watched them die at the hands of the Kobolds. I was stabbed through the chest by a Kobold spear, and lay dying as I watched them begin killing the women and children. I tried to get up, tried to help them, but the effort cost me my remaining grip on the world and I slipped into the peaceful black.

I know not why I was spared. Perhaps the kobolds mistook me for dead, or mayhap one thought it would be fitting for a single survivor to remain to tell the tale. Whatever the case, I awoke the next morning to find all in the village dead, save me. I was spared from any uncertainty in the survival of my wife and daughter when I found their bodies, laying on the path outside the village where they had attempted to flee. From the facing of her still form, my dear, sweet Raerchik, who had never raised her fist in anger in her life, turned to hold of her pursuers to give our child more time to flee. It was not enough.

I mourned the dead, buried them, observed the rites and pointed their spirits to the final path. It took me three days, working alone. And in that time I prayed, for some sign or message or some help. On the fourth day, I got my answer.

Spoiler
    Show

A travelling monk of unguessable years, dressed simply but carrying the finest sword I have ever seen, came to my village as I was digging the final graves. He looked upon me and my nearly completed work, and said not a word. Instead, he took up his own shovel and set to work beside me.

He had the aspect of an elf, but also one of the lizard folk. I did not comment, for our land is full of those who are different, and his willingness to help me unasked was perhaps the kindest thing any has ever done for me. We worked in silence until it was done, the last of my people returned to the earth, and only then did I speak. "Thank you, stranger, for your help. Please, come inside. I have little food, only what the raiders could not find or despoil, but what I have is yours to share. A fire and a bed are the least I can offer for your aid."

Then the stranger and I talked. Long into the night, we talked about my village, the raid, how everything happened, and my survival. I told him of the traditional style of my village, since he seemed curious, a style geared towards the use of the rapier against a larger foe. But I could not bear to talk of my lost home any longer. So instead I asked him about himself. I found out that this man was a travelling sage, the great Elwin of the Eternal Blade if you have ever heard the name - no? Not surprising, he is a humble man for all his might, and he prefers to be remembered as half-elven rather than half-dragon. Indeed, that is whence he got the appearance of the saurian folk, from his father. We spoke of his vocation, that of a follower of the nine martial paths, and of his other passion, dragons. It turns out that he was not just a master of the blade but also a scholar of dragon lore.

Eventually, we slept. In the morning, we rose. I left my home with him, unable to bear the thought of staying there alone. I had nothing left. Elwin taught me the language of the dragon, and many of their secrets. I discovered the link between the kobolds and the evil dragons. I swore to destroy them, not out of a desire for vengeance, but to prevent this from happening to others. At Elwin's recommendation, I prayed to Bahamut. And to my astonishment, I received an answer - a great silver dragon, flying unseen in a cloud above, roared and spewed silver light before disappearing again into the clouds.

With Elwin's lore and my newfound determination, I built myself a shell. That is the way of it - to be properly reborn one must have a shell and the blessing of Bahamut. I was reborn, now with a new purpose, in a new life, all ties to the old one severed. Yet, I have never felt more like a gnome in my life than I do now - my purpose is to serve my people.

It has been many years since then, and a very long road. In that time I have learned many things, harnessed skill and power I could not have dreamt of in my last life, and even taken up the fighting style of my home village to honor them. And so I use their traditional methods and styles, even while I make use of the unorthodox learning I acquired from that strange old monk and others along the path.

Life is hard and strange, my friend. But a warm beer on a cold night - doesn't that make it worth living?

The Build:
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Ssejkosjth "Seth" Tibur Hedwann Ux Bahamuti
    (Translated from Draconic: Silentshrink known as Seth, once Hedwann, of the Dragonborn)
    Race: Dragonborn (Heart) Whisper Gnome
    Starting Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 10

Spoiler
    Show

Seth
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features
    1st|Swordsage 1|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Hide 4, MS 4, SoH 2, Bluff 4, Tumble 4, Concentration 4, Sense Motive 4, Listen 4|Dragon Wings|Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Diamond Mind) - Grants Weapon Focus Rapier
    2nd|Psychic Warrior 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Autohypnosis 2, Hide 5|Weapon Finesse|Power: Compression
    3rd|Psychic Warrior 2|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Move Silent 5, SoH 3|Combat Reflexes, Practiced Manifester(Psychic warrior)|Power: Hammer
    4th|Psychic Warrior 3|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 5, Autohypnosis 5||Power: Skate
    5th|Psychic Warrior 4|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Know Psionics 4||Power: Concealing Amorpha
    6th|Shadowmind 1|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Bluff 5, Sense Motive 5, Tumble 5, SoH 5, Psicraft 1|Improved Dragon Wings|Power: Psionic Lion's Charge, Read Thoughts
    7th|Swordsage 2|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Listen 5, Tumble 10, Concentration 7||Wis to AC
    8th|Shadowmind 2|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Psicraft 5, Concentration 9||+1d6 sneak attack
    9th|Blade Bravo 1|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |Escape Artist 5, Concentration 10|Craven|Goad, Flourish
    10th|Blade Bravo 2|
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +10
    |
    +7
    |Concentration 12, Tumble 12, Escape Artist 7||Mobile Fighting
    11th|Blade Bravo 3|
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 14, Tumble 14, Escape Artist 9|Two Weapon Fighting|
    12th|Blade Bravo 4|
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +11
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 15, Tumble 15, Escape Artist 13|Improved Combat Reflexes|Melee Sneak Attack +1d6
    13th|Blade Bravo 5|
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +11
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 16, Tumble 16, Escape Artist 15, Sense Motive 7||Size Advantage
    14th|Shadowmind 3|
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +8
    |Psicraft 8, Know Psionics 8||Power: Damp Power, Cloud Mind
    15th|Blade Bravo 6|
    +12
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +9
    |Concentration 18, Tumble 18, Escape Artist 17|Underfoot Combat, Improved Two Weapon Fighting|
    16th|Blade Bravo 7|
    +13
    |
    +7
    |
    +12
    |
    +9
    |Concentration 19, Tumble 19, Escape Artist 19, Sense Motive 9||Small but Deadly
    17th|Blade Bravo 8|
    +14
    |
    +7
    |
    +13
    |
    +9
    |Concentration 20, Tumble 20, Escape Artist 20, Sense Motive 12||Melee Sneak Attack +2d6
    18th|Blade Bravo 9|
    +15
    |
    +8
    |
    +13
    |
    +10
    |Concentration 21, Tumble 21, Escape Artist 21, Sense Motive 15|Confounding the Big Folk, Greater Two Weapon Fighting|
    19th|Swordsage 3|
    +16
    |
    +9
    |
    +13
    |
    +10
    |Concentration 22, Tumble 22, Escape Artist 22, Sense Motive 18||
    20th|Blade Bravo 10|
    +17
    |
    +9
    |
    +14
    |
    +10
    |Concentration 23, Tumble 23, Escape Artist 23, Sense Motive 21||Lethal Riposte[/table]

Powers:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Level|Powers gained|Power points
    2|Compression|1 PP
    3|Hammer|5 PP
    4|Skate|9 PP
    5|Concealing Amorpha|12 PP
    8|Psi Lion's Charge, Read Thoughts|~27 PP
    14|Damp Power, Cloud Mind|~46 PP
    20||~66 PP[/table]

Maneuvers:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Lvl|Maneuvers gained|Initiator Level
    1|Island of Blades, Shadow Blade Technique, Burning Blade, Distracting Ember, Saphire Nightmare Strike, Clinging Shadow Strike, Moment of Perfect Mind|1
    7|Assassin's Stance, Shadow Garrote|5
    19|Five Shadow Strike|17[/table]

Equipment:
    Spoiler
    Show

Weapons: While you normally attack using touch attacks, it's a good idea to keep a rapier or a dagger or both on hand for when you run out of PP. It should only need some mild enchantments. After you get two weapon fighting and an animated shield (these should happen roughly at the same time), the dagger can be used as an off-hand weapon, and you may want to pick up a second for the main hand. When it becomes affordable, all of these should be made into Manifester weapons (MIC), for the bonus PP/day.

Armor: A Mithril chain shirt should last until you've got a +4 dex item, at which point you'll need to upgrade to Celestial Armor. That should be good enough to last until very late in the build. Keep a heavy shield on hand. Get it animated just before you hit level 11.

Other Equipment:
    Buying/choosing equipment is pretty simple, just follow this formula:
    Wisdom > Dex > AC > Extra PP > Useful > Weapons
    If you can upgrade one of these with available cash, do so in the order stated. Exceptions to this: buy Deathstrike Bracers, a Greater Truedeath Crystal and a Greater Demolition Crystal (all from the magic item compendium), and a Ring of Blinking (DMG) ASAP.

A Tome of Understanding (Wis) +1 should be used at around level 12, with a +5 (or wishes) being used to over-ride/enhance that bonus at higher level. A +4 dex book might also be a good idea at higher level, but it may not be worth it.

A couple of tatoos of the fully-augmented compression power (manifester level 15 - 1pp + 2pp for minutes/level +6pp for 2 size categories, +6pp for quickened) should be available at all times once you hit level 13, for those really nasty fights. They'll only set you back 375gp a piece for 15 minutes of an awesome buff - a bargain, even if you can cast it yourself.

Tactics:
    Spoiler
    Show

You're a tank. The smallest tank ever. You won't be doing huge amounts of damage, but your enemies will fear you for being nearly invulnerable to their attacks.
    Use Combat Expertise at full value every round. Don't worry, you're still going to hit things.
    Compression yourself before the fight starts. Make it last minutes if the fight looks at all tough.
    Use the Hammer power every round you're making a melee attack (or once for several rounds if you need your swift actions for something else, like changing stances). Even if you're using a maneuver - this power just lets you make attacks as touch attacks, and lets you ignore your horrible strength while in melee combat, thanks to weapon finesse. Otherwise, treat the hammer power as your primary weapon. Since it's a weaponlike spell/power (there's an attack roll), you can use sneak attack and all of your other damage boosts to improve your damage output.
    At lower levels, use Island of Blades to ensure that you're flanking whatever you want to hit. Once you get a Ring of Blink, you can switch to Assassin's stance and never look back.
    If you plan on using a strike maneuver (most are standard actions), Goad something. Same with using a breath weapon attack. If you're running low on PP, you can move out to the long range of your breath weapon and start flying around and kiting your enemies. Rounds between breath weapons can be used to recover and execute maneuvers.
    Other than that, standard melee tactics should work just fine, although remember that thanks to your small size, you can not only fly over, but also RUN THROUGH any blocking enemies squares to get to whoever you want. And with your AC, you should be able to soak up AoOs without even blinking.

Build Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

This was a difficult build for me, because I kept wanting to do a ton of 1-2 level dips. In the end, I decided to go with just Psywar and Swordsage because that was always the heart of the build. Unfortunately, the only way to keep Shadowmind - and therefore 9th level maneuvers, was to ignore multiclassing penalties. So, if you play with multiclassing penalties (or without ToB), replace swordsage with Rogue, the Whisper Gnome's favored class (still a favored class after the Dragonborn ritual). It's not as powerful or as versatile, but it's not a terrible change either. If you have to go this way, you can easily add 'trapmonkey' to your list of abilities by putting skill points into search & disable device instead of concentration. On the up side, this allows you to take Craven much earlier, and more sneak attack damage.

Sources: Races of the Dragon (Dragonborn), Races of Stone (Whisper Gnome & Blade Bravo), Tome of Battle (Swordsage & Maneuvers), Complete Adventurer (Shadowmind), Complete War (Improved Combat Expertise) and the SRD (everything else). Most equipment mentioned comes from the Magic Item Compendium.

Capabilities by level:
    Spoiler
    Show

These are estimates based on the assumption of standard WBL and equipment being bought as described above, and standard self-buffs (compression, mostly) being cast.

{table=head]Lvl|#Attacks|Damage|AC|Special Abilities
    5|1|1d8|26|Compression, Hammer, Glide speed & Breath weapon
    10|2|1d8+3d6+10|36|Lion's Charge, Flight, Goad
    15|5|1d8+4d6+15|67*|Damp power
    20|7|1d8+5d6+20|85*|Counter attack, Confounding the Big Folk[/table]
    *Assuming medium enemy
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153

GnomeWizardGuy

Monkeys are superior to men in this: when a monkey looks into a mirror, he sees a monkey.
    -Malcolm de Chazal

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Jack the Dread Capuchin
    Forest Gnome Weremonkey (Natural)
    32 point buy
    Str: 14, Dex: 17, Con:13, Int: 14, Wis: 10, Cha: 8
    Ending Stats
    (Gnome Form) Str: 12(18), Dex: 26(32), Con:15(21), Int: 14(20), Wis: 12(18), Cha: 8(14)
    (Monkey/Hybrid Form) Str: 4(10), Dex: 30(36), Con:15(21), Int: 14(20), Wis: 12(18), Cha: 8(14)
    Progression:
    Spoiler
    Show

Jack the Dread Capuchin
    {table=head]ECL|Class|Base Attack |Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|IL/MK/MR|Skills|Feats|Class Features |Maneuvers

4th|Swordsage 1|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    1/6/4
    |(32) Balance 4, Climb 4, Hide 4, Jump 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Sense Motive 4, Tumble 4|Shadow Blade, Iron Will(b)|Quick to act +1, discipline focus(Weapon Focus[Diamond Mind])| Maneuvers: Burning Blade, Wind Stride, Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Charging Minotuar, Stone Bones, Stance: Child of Shadow

5th|Monkey|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    1/6/4
    |(4) Spot 4|Agile(b), Weapon Finesse(b) |Low-Light vision, Alternate Form, monkey empathy, scent, Curse of Lycanthropy, damage reduction 10/silver, +8 racial bonus to Balance and Climb, Climb speed (always take 10 and retain dex), uses dex instead of strength for Climb checks.|

6th|Swashbuckler 1|
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    2/6/4
    |(6) Bluff 4, Climb 2|Combat Expertise||

7th|Swordsage 2|
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    3/7/4
    |(8) Balance 2, Climb 1, Jump 2, Tumble 3| |AC Bonus|Manuever: Cloak of Deception, Stance: Flame’s Blessing

8th|Swashbuckler 2|
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    3/7/4
    |(6) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1 Skill Trick: Extreme Leap| |Arcane Stunt(Feather Fall)|

9th|Swashbuckler 3|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    4/7/4
    |(6) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1 Skill Trick: Twisting Charge|Shape Soulmeld(Shadow Mantle)|Insightful Strike|

10th|Swordsage 3|
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    5/8/5
    |(8) Balance 2, Climb 1, Jump 2, Tumble 1 Skill Trick: Speedy Ascent | ||Maneuver: Shadow Jaunt

11th|Blade Bravo 1|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    5/8/5
    |(4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1||Flourish, Goad|

12th(11th*)|Blade Bravo 2|
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    6/8/5
    | (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1|Giantbane |Mobile Fighting|

13th(12th*)|Blade Bravo 3|
    +8
    |
    +7
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    6/8/5
    | (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1|Two Weapon Fighting(b) |New Class Abilities|

14th(13th*)|Blade Bravo 4 |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    7/8/5
    | (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1||Melee Sneak Attack +1d6|

15th(14th*)|Blade Bravo 5 |
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    7/8/5
    | (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1|Impoved Unarmed Strike |Size Advantage |

16th(15th*)|Blade Bravo 6|
    +11
    |
    +8
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    8/8/5
    | (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1|Improved Two Weapon Fighting(b)||

17th(16th*)|Blade Bravo 7|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    8/8/5
    | (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1||Small But Deadly|

18th(16th*)|Blade Bravo 8 |
    +13
    |
    +8
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    9/8/5
    | (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1|Open Chakra (Shoulders) |Melee Sneak Attack +2d6|

19th(17th*)|Blade Bravo 9 |
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    | |
    9/8/5|
    (4) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Tumble 1|Greater Two Weapon Fighting(b)||

20th(18th*)|Blade Bravo 10 |
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |
    10/8/5
    | (4) Climb 1, Tumble 1, Skill Trick: Back to Your Feet||Lethal Riposte|

NA(18th*)|Uncanny Trickster 1 |
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +14
    |
    +7
    |
    10/8/5
    | (10) Balance 1, Climb 1, Jump 1, Spot 6, Tumble 1|Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots)|Bonus Trick(Point it Out), Favorite Trick(Extreme Leap)|

NA(19th*)|Uncanny Trickster 2 |
    +16
    |
    +9
    |
    +15
    |
    +7
    |
    11/9/5
    |(10) Balance 2, Climb 1, Hide 1, Jump 2, Move Silently 1, Spot 2, Tumble 1|| Bonus Trick(Clarity of Vision), Favorite Trick(Clarity of Vision), Sword Sage Abilities(Discipline Focus(Insightful Strike[Stone Dragon]))|Maneuver: Dancing Mongoose, Shadow Stride(replaces Shadow Jaunt)

NA(20th*)|Uncanny Trickster 3 |
    +17
    |
    +10
    |
    +15
    |
    +7
    |
    12/10/6
    | (10) Balance 1, Climb 1, Hide 3, Jump 1, Move Silently 3, Tumble 1|| Bonus Trick(Spot the Weak Point), Favorite Trick(Back to Your Feet), Sword Sage Abilities(Quick to Act +2)|Maneuver: Elder Mountain Hammer, Stance: Assassin’s Stance[/table]
    * if using LA Buyoff

Background
    Spoiler
    Show

Growing up on the secluded forested island in the middle of the “Pirate Sea” was hard on little Abel. His people, the rarely seen forest gnome were-capuchin, lived disciplined lives of simple scholarly training in a long abandoned Temple of the Nine Swords. They are simple folk and being the only intelligent creatures on the small island did not lead to much instances of high adventure. They had lived in the derelict temple for ages with only dusty half understood scrolls and ancient relics to interest them. This was intolerable for young Abel who wanted nothing more than to see the world and plunder the high seas. So when a rather unlucky pirate got stranded on the isle he did all he could to befriend the strange new visitor. Seeing only a strangely dressed little monkey gesturing wildly the pirate known as Jack Snowfinch decided that with no one else to conversate with he would lament about the lack of rum to the little fellow. When Jack was rescued some weeks later little Abel joined him and took on the name “Jack” from his new friend.
    Spoiler
    Show

ECL5 Forest Gnome Weremonkey Swordsage 1

Jack the Dread Capuchin served as First Monkey on the pirate ship the Ebony Pearl, pirating the high seas while battling the royal navy, undead pirates after woebegone booty, and squid men from the deep reaches of the oceans. This was all well and good for little Jack, although he quickly grew to feel unappreciated by the crew. Fetch this and fetch that…Jack began to want a little more respect from his peers. It all came to a head when his rather cruel compatriots fired him out of a cannon onto an enemy ship. Jack could take the indignation no longer and hopped off the ship at the next port to find his own fortune and glory.
    Spoiler
    Show

ECL510 Forest Gnome Weremonkey Swordsage 3, Swashbuckler 3

Jack became the local mascot of several local watering holes delighting the patrons with mock sword fighting and little monkey jigs. This was were he saw his first gnomes since leaving home so long ago. He was enthralled by the gnomish street bravos who fought with just grace and bravado. None ever noticed the little monkey on the roof watching them while fencing with shadows.

At ECL 20
    Spoiler
    Show

Forest Gnome Weremonkey (Natural)
    Swordsage 3, Swashbuckler3, Blade Bravo 10,(Weremonkey 1 + 3 LA)

Tiny Humanoid (Gnome) ( Shapechanger)
    Hit Dice: 3d8+15 + 3d10+15 + 10d8+50 + 1d8+5 (164 hp)
    Initiative: +14
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), 30 ft climb
    Armor Class: 44 ( touch 24, flat-footed, 31)
    Base Attack/Grapple:+15/+7
    Attack: Tiny short sword* +35 melee (1d3+23 +2d6(Sneak attack) +1d6(Acid) +1d6(Frost))
    Full Attack: Tiny short sword* +33/+28/+23 (1d3+23 +2d6(Sneak attack) +1d6(Acid) +1d6(Frost)) and unarmed +31/+26/+21 (1+21 +2d6(Sneak attack))
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Maneuvers, Curse of Lycanthropy, Melee Sneak Attack +2d6, Insightful Strike(Int to Damage), Small but Deadly, Lethal Riposte, Soul Meld: Shadow Mantle(Bound to shoulders)
    Special Qualities: Scent, damage reduction 10/silver, alternate form, monkey empathy, low-light vision, size advantage, mobile fighting, flourish, gnome traits
    Saves: Fort +14, Ref +26, Will +13
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 36, Con 21, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 14
    Skills: Balance +43, Bluff +6(+16 to feint),Climb +53, Hide +33, Jump +25, Listen +22,Move Silently +21, Sense Motive +8, Spot +16, Tumble +34
    Feats: Shadow Blade, Iron Will(b), Agile(b), Weapon Finesse(b), Combat Expertise, Shape Soulmeld (Shadow Mantle), Giantbane, Two Weapon Fighting(b), Improved Two Weapon Fighting(b), Greater Two Weapon Fighting (b), Open Lesser Chakra (Shoulders), Improved Unarmed Strike
    Challenge Rating: 20

Possessions: tiny +5 keen, acidic, frost, blindsighted short sword (158,000), belt of magnificence (200,000), Ring of Improved Climbing (10,000), ring of protection +5 (50,000), Amulet of mighty fists +3 (54,000), Boots of Striding and Springing (5,500), Manual of Quickness Action +5 (137500), Bracers of Armor +8 (64,000), Gloves of Storing (10,000), Potion of Fly x4 (3,000), Potion of Reduce Person x4 (1,000), Masterwork Climbing tool (50) {66950 gp left over}

Maneuvers: Burning Blade(r), Wolf Fang Strike(r), Wind Stride, Sudden Leap(r), Charging Minotaur, Stone Bones, Cloak of Deception(r), Shadow Stride(r), Dancing Mongoose(r), Elder Mountain Hammer
    Stances: Flame’s Blessing, Child of Shadow(active)

Forest Gnome Traits:
    Low-light vision, weapon familiarity(hooked hammers), +2 racial bonus on saves vs illusions, +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds, golbinoids, orcs and reptilian humanoids, +4 dodge bonus to ac vs giants, +2 racial bonus to listen checks, pass without trace (su), +4(8 in woods)racial bonus to hide

Tactics
    Spoiler
    Show

The goal here was to avoid taking confounding the big folk and titan fighting as those seemed too obvious.
    Jack stays in monkey form almost all of the time. He only switches to a hybrid form if he is fighting with allies that require flanking from his new found reach from being small size. His combat tactics revolve around using Giantbane’s climb aboard tactic on anything and everything. If he happens to find himself fighting small creatures he just chugs a potion of reduce person and goes to town. While using one hand to hold on he attacks with a short sword and offhand unarmed attacks. His damage is fueled by Shadowblade and Insightful Strike with a little bit of sneak attack damage if it is available. Against flying targets he either uses a potion of fly to get close enough to latch on or uses the 50ft teleportation maneuvers. Once he climbs aboard he is along for the ride until the creature dies. With a +53 climb check only the most massive of creatures have a shot at dislodging him. The feather fall arcane stunt(feather fall) is there in case he falls off a dragon. He is fairly difficult to hit with “size advantage”, the -4 to attacks for the target of climb aboard, and the globe of darkness from shadow mantle. If need be he can switch stances to flame’s blessing in order to get immunity to fire.
    The maneuvers are mostly used for movement or to boost full attacks. Burning blade adds 1d6+10 fire damage to every attack. Shadow Jaunt/Stride can be used to get out of grapples. He loses some damage against creatures immune to crits, but the majority of the damage is from Shadow Blade which still works. Fitting in adaptive style would help his swordsage powers, which should be grabbed if flaws or other options are available.
    He uses the Shadow Mantle soul meld bound to his shoulder chakra to make a globe of darkness in his targets square. He has 30ft blindsight from the blindsighted weapon (from Underdark) to pinpoint where creatures are to get within “climb aboard” range while using the darkness effect. Combat basically ends up being a tiny screeching ball of fur leaping at targets, climbing to their face, popping a globe of darkness, and proceeding to stab and pound the target into submission.

Sweet Spot:
    Spoiler
    Show

Jack really starts his thing at ECL12 when he gets Giantbane. Everything he does in combat involves “climb aboard”. He does decent damage at all levels with Shadowblade. The power doesn’t really come in until he’s finished Blade Bravo and gotten the two weapon fighting feats and sneak attack. Of course using LA Buyoff, flaws, and other options make him much more powerful for a full power-gaming group.

Options:
    Spoiler
    Show

Using Level Adjustment Buyoff Jack could get 3 levels back and take Uncanny trickster to improve his sword sage levels. This would net him a high level stance (Assassins for 2d6 sneak attack) and some higher level maneuvers without hitting an xp penalty for his base classes.

If the unarmored swordsage variant is allowed he could save a feat on improved unarmed strike.

Flaws would also allow him to get some more feats allowing him to get 2 bonus feats likely being shape souldmeld(impulse boots) and open chackra(boots) to get uncanny dodge and evasion.

I looked into using warshaper to grow a tail attack and qualify for prehensile tail. Thus getting multiattack feats, but that ended up being inelegant and rather cheesy.

I almost added a level of Dread Pirate but acquiring Appraisal got too wonky.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154

GnomeWizardGuy

"For what I want of Dulcinea del Toboso, she's every bit as good as the noblest princess on earth."
    Don Quixote, V1, Ch25

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea

Dulcinea, the Dancer's Daughter

In which our hero forms her first pact

Our hero, Dulcinea, but a girl,
    Learned young the ancient art of binding souls.
    She, orphaned, walked the beach gathering pearls.
    Split wide a shell, mused "Two halves make a whole."
    A woman watching whispered, "That's not all.
    Where two meet, something beautiful is made.
    You'll find your other half with but a call
    Into the darkness, child, be not afraid."
    Young Dulcinea then learned how to bind
    By writing in the sand with a small stick.
    "Just trace these lines," her teacher said and signed.
    "The bargain that comes next, now that's the trick."
    A set of awkward lines, then drawn around,
    And Dulcinea's first vestige was bound.

In which our hero binds Paimon to herself, and herself to him

Our hero, Dulcinea, grows in years
    And power, binding souls with grace and ease.
    But one new soul spins circles and appears;
    He spits out, "Tell me, are you one of these
    Harlots who seek me out for but a song?
    They bind me, find me lacking and are done.
    Like those who changed my limbs for blades, I'm wronged
    Once more by selfish men who've been outdone."
    Our hero weeps and sobs, "Your story's sad.
    You are no foul immortal, evil soul,
    Bust just a man, and one whom I'd be glad
    To share my life with--Let these halves be whole."
    And so she binds herself in boundless love
    Unto the one ensnared and bound by love.

In which our hero creates the Knights of Paimon's Seal

Our hero, Dulcinea, and her man
    Blend seamlessly together as if one.
    When she steps forward, rapier in hand,
    Then hordes of hundreds all turn tail and run.
    She takes the Dancer's cause up as her own,
    Enlisting aid of gnomish paladins.
    No heretic, but friend of the disowned,
    They welcome her as if she was their kin.
    Appalled at human actions void of love,
    They seek out evil, slay it by the blade.
    With strength found not in size, but lack thereof,
    Their enemies in shallow graves are laid.
    The Knights of Paimon form The Bladed Hand,
    An order feared--revered--across the land.

In which our hero fades into violence

Our hero, Dulcinea, at the helm
    Led knights bound twice (by both their oath and pact).
    They fought with zeal, protecting the whole realm.
    Their souls stayed bound, their swords raised, ranks intact.
    Until Tenebrous followers arrived,
    With plans to resurrect the evil dead.
    A skeletal barbarian deprived
    The order's chief lieutenant of his head.
    But as his body crumpled to the ground,
    Our hero Dulcinea, fiercely cried
    A call to arms heard miles and miles around,
    "Not even death can stop The Dancer's stride.
    For Paimon!" shouting, leapt into the fray
    And not a soul has seen her to this day.

In which our hero endures forever

Our hero, Dulcinea, now a myth
    Shall go on dancing centuries untold.
    Though some may question whether she exists,
    Just ask the binders--Paimon's now twofold.
    They draw the sign to summon forth the Blade,
    But two old souls spin circles and appear:
    In swirling waltz, the Dancer and his maid,
    Locked in a spinning dance for countless years.
    An orphaned gnome found family after all,
    And safety in Paimon's cold arms of steel.
    The two, they dance at the Undying Ball,
    At once both fictional and truly real.
    Wherever you hear music in slaughter
    Is Dulcinea found, Dancer's Daughter.

The Build:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnome Binder 3/Paladin 4/Blade Bravo 10/Knight of the Sacred Seal 2/Marshal 1

{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features
    1st
    |
    Binder 1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge: religion 4
    |
    Combat Expertise
    |
    Soul binding (1 vestige)

2nd
    |
    Binder 2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    Bluff 1, Diplomacy 1, Intimidate 1, Knowledge: religion 1
    ||
    Pact augmentation (1 ability), suppress sign

3rd
    |
    Binder 3
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    Bluff 1, Diplomacy 1, Intimidate 1, Sense Motive 1
    |
    Improved Binding, Weapon Finesse (from binding Paimon)
    |

4th
    |
    Paladin 1 (Shadow Cloak Knight)
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    Bluff 1 (cc), Hide 1, Move Silently 1
    ||
    Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day

5th
    |
    Paladin 2 (Shadow Cloak Knight)
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    ||
    Divine grace, lay on hands

6th
    |
    Paladin 3 (Shadow Cloak Knight)
    |
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    |
    Weapon Focus (rapier)
    |
    Aura of courage, divine health

7th
    |
    Paladin 4 (Shadow Cloak Knight)
    |
    +6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    |
    Power Attack
    |
    Holy Warrior replaces spellcasting, Turn Undead 3+CHA/day, Favored enemy: human (from Shadow Cloak Knight)

8th
    |
    Blade Bravo 1
    |
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    Bluff 1, Perform: dance 3, Tumble 2
    |
    Goad
    |
    Flourish, Goad

9th
    |
    Blade Bravo 2
    |
    +8/+3
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    Bluff 1, Perform: dance 2, Sense Motive 1, Timely Misdirection
    |
    Divine Might
    |
    Mobile Fighting

10th
    |
    Blade Bravo 3
    |
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Perform: dance 1, Sense Motive 1, Group Fake Out
    |
    Improved Feint
    |
    Bonus feat

11th
    |
    Blade Bravo 4
    |
    +10/+5
    |
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 3
    ||
    Melee sneak attack +1d6

12th
    |
    Blade Bravo 5
    |
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 3
    |
    Staggering Strike
    |
    Size advantage

13th
    |
    Blade Bravo 6
    |
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 2
    |
    Dodge
    |
    Bonus feat

14th
    |
    Blade Bravo 7
    |
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 1, Never Outnumbered
    ||
    Small but deadly

15th
    |
    Blade Bravo 8
    |
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +9
    |
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 1, Acrobatic Backstab
    |
    Mobility
    |
    Melee sneak attack +2d6

16th
    |
    Blade Bravo 9
    |
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +10
    |
    +8
    |
    +7
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 1, Back on Your Feet
    |
    Improved Trip
    |
    Bonus feat

17th
    |
    Blade Bravo 10
    |
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +10
    |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    Bluff 1, Intimidate 1, Perform: dance 2, Sense Motive 1, Tumble 1
    ||
    Lethal Riposte

18th
    |
    Knight of the Sacred Seal 1
    |
    +17/+12/+7/+2
    |
    +12
    |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    |
    Elusive Target
    |
    Aligned strike, patron vestige (Paimon), soul binding +1

19th
    |
    Knight of the Sacred Seal 2
    |
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +13
    |
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    |
    retrain Improved Binding for Law Devotion
    |
    Vestige's protection, soul binding +2

20th
    |
    Marshal 1
    |
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    Bluff 1, Diplomacy 1, Intimidate 1, Perform: dance 2, Sense Motive 1
    |
    Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
    |
    Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Minor Aura (Art of War)
    [/table]

ATTRIBUTES

{table=head]Attribute|Points|Base|Racial|Levels|Special|Enhanc ement|Inherent|Total|Modifier
    STR|6|14|-2|+1|+0|+2|+0|15|+2
    DEX|10|16|+0|+0|+4*|+6|+4|30|+10
    CON|0|8|+2|+0|+0|+0|+0|10|+0
    INT|6|14|+0|+0|+0|+0|+0|14|+2
    WIS|0|8|+0|+0|+0|+0|+0|8|-1
    CHA|10|16|+0|+4|+0|+6|+4|30|+10[/table]

*From Paimon's Dexterity.

Tactics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Levels 1-5: At this point, Dulcinea enjoys the versatility of the low-level vestiges (see Quirp's List of Vestiges) along with the survivability that two levels of paladin affords. She can even use heavier armor, since none of her abilities are dependent on light armor. She is less of a skirmisher at this point, and more of a fifth (wo)man, using her vestiges to fill in whatever role the party needs. Because of her high CHA, she also makes a great party face. At level 3, she learns how to bind Paimon (thanks to Improved Binding) and doesn't look back. This makes her a skirmisher, a role in which she specializes for the rest of her days.
    • Levels 6-10: Dulcinea's main tactic begins to unveil itself. She now binds Paimon exclusively, allowing her to qualify for Blade Bravo. Power Attack and Divine Might allow her to increase her damage output to respectable levels. Dulcinea takes the Timely Misdirection and Group Fake Out skill tricks, leading up to 10th level, where she acquires Improved Feint. Now, she can feint against multiple foes as a move action, deny them their AoOs, and run past all of them, attacking each once for a decent amount of damage. The great thing is that this isn't even a true nova--she can use the dance of death 1/5 rounds, and the skill tricks can each be used 1/encounter.

As a secondary tactic, she can goad melee types to engage only her, unless they make a Will save (DC 15+CHA at level 10). A good way to combine these tactics is to dart past a group of foes with the Feinting Dance of Death, then Goad the closest melee foe the next round. You can lock in melee combat with them, making full attacks and taking 5-foot steps until the Dance of Death recharges, then unleash it again.
    • Levels 11-15: Dulcinea's main tactic continues to develop, and hits its sweet spot around level 12. Not only is she darting past a group of flat-footed foes who can't strike her, but now she has the opportunity to leave each of them staggered, robbing the opposing forces of valuable actions. Also, while she can only use her group feint 1/encounter, around this level of play she can afford a pair of Slippers of Battledancing and a Belt of Battle. Along with Divine Might, she can run past a group of enemies and attack each of them using her CHA to attack, adding her CHA to damage twice (Divine Might and Slippers of Battledancing). Also, the need to stop foes from taking AoOs lessens, since Dulcinea picks up Mobility at 15th level for another dodge bonus to AC.

Her secondary tactic becomes even stronger when she reaches her sweet spot. At level 12, the Will save against Goad is 16+CHA, which is hopefully boosted by some items (not to mention level boosts). She will use the Feinting Dance of Death to stagger a group of foes, then Goad the closest staggered melee foe. They'll be forced to make only one attack against you, while you can full attack them until your Dance of Death recharges. Now that you have slippers of battledancing, your second dance of death won't be a feinting dance, but will use CHA to attacks, and the damage will add CHA twice (Divine Might + Slippers).
    • Levels 16-20: The icing on the cake. Vestige Protection and Law Devotion ensure that Dulcinea can't be hit, while Elusive Target, Improved Trip, and the marshal's Art of War aura provide some nasty options to use against foes that even try. Her main tactic is still to move and attack, but now she has more options.

The secondary tactic now merges seemlessly with the primary tactic. Start with a feinting, staggering dance of death. Aim for flanked squares--because of Elusive Target, you can cause opponents that try to strike you could strike their flanking buddies instead. Goad the closest staggered melee foe for the usual staggered attack vs. Dulcinea's full attack. However, once this opponent misses with their one attack (which they will), you can use Lethal Riposte to attack them, and you have the option to trip them, allowing you to make your full attacks against a prone target. They can get up with a move action, but that provokes more attacks from you, and they may just miss you again with their standard action on their next turn. If they're down before your dance of death recharges, you can still zip about the battlefield, provoking AoOs. Thanks to Elusive Target, you can trip anyone who misses you for free (using your CHA to attack and adding CHA to your trip attempt), then Improved Trip allows you to hit each of them (CHA to attack and CHA to damage twice), possibly shutting down an entire enemy battallion.

The Perks of Being a Blade Bravo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Flourish: given the large bonus to Bluff checks to feint in combat, it only made sense to make it a cornerstone of the build. One of the bonus feats was used to take Improved Feint, and with the inclusion of skill tricks, Dulcinea can feint against multiple foes as a move action that can also prevent them from making AoOs against her if she wishes. Then, she can use her standard action to move and attack the foes she feinted against, possibly leaving them staggered. For more information, see "Mosh Pit" in the HIGHLIGHTS section.
    • Goad: The DC of this might not be much for most melee-types, but for a character like Dulcinea with a CHA focus, it can be brutal. 10+1/2 character level+CHA translates to a DC of 32 at 20th level. Though it doesn't really hamper casters too much (given the Will save and the clause that they can still cast spells at whoever they like), it's perfect for the big brutes who likely won't have a +13 Will save, meaning they've only got a 5% chance of succeeding against this. Goading a staggered enemy stacks the deck in your favor--they get one attack vs. your full attack, and if they miss, you get a sneak attack against them to stagger them for the next round.
    • Mobile Fighting: Even though it's only a small bonus to AC, it's activated whenever Dulcinea moves at least 5 feet (which is always). Keep in mind that you can make a 5-foot step while taking a full attack (as per page 143 of the PHB). It's essentially a free +1 to AC at all times. Since Paimon grants Uncanny Dodge, you always retain your DEX to AC, so you also retain your dodge bonuses.
    • Bonus feats: Dulcinea has Improved Feint, Dodge, and Mobility to fuel her feinting tactics and to keep stacking dodge bonuses to AC.
    • Sneak attack: While +2d6 isn't really much to brag about, my first thought was to add Craven for an easy damage boost. However, the paladin's immunity to fear means that Craven is not an option. Instead, I found Staggering Strike--a feat that allows us to impose the staggered condition on foes if they fail a Fort save with a DC equal to the damage dealt. The inclusion of Divine Might means that Staggering Strike is essentially another CHA-based DC, driving it up to respectable levels. Something that seems like a footnote in this class becomes a part of the character's main tactic (see "Mosh Pit," below).
    • Size advantage: While I was looking for a way to make Dulcinea smaller, I realized that any size reductions would mean a STR penalty. This would disqualify her from the benefits of Power Attack, which would then disqualify her from the benefits of Divine Might. However, a small boost to Strength along with a Ring of Reduction means that Dulcinea is Tiny whenever she wants to be. While a permanent scroll of Reduce Person would have the same effect, Dulcinea can command the ring to return her to small size in scenarios where being Tiny is not to her advantage.
    • Small but deadly: A bonus to confirm criticals on a character that uses a rapier is a no-brainer. When you use Divine Might, you get 2xCHA to damage on a critical, and if you use Divine Might and the Slippers of Battledancing in the same round, that becomes 4xCHA to damage on a critical hit. Confirming threats is very important, so every little bit helps.
    • Lethal riposte: Foes will miss you quite often with the AC focus of this build. When they do, you have a few options. Since your opponent is rendered flat-footed, you can sneak attack them to leave them staggered. Alternatively, you can make a trip attempt against them, and Improved Trip allows you a free attack against them once they are down.

Highlights/Combos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Early to the Dance: At third level, Dulcinea takes Improved Binding, which allows her to bind Paimon two levels early. Paimon's abilities provide great synergy with Blade Bravo, and also help us enter the class in the first place. Here's what I'm talking about:
      • Dance of Death: move up to your speed and attack every enemy you move past once. Usable 1/5 rounds. See "Mosh Pit," below.
      • Paimon's Blades: proficiency with shortsword and rapier, and you enjoy the benefit of Weapon Finesse when you wield either. Free feats are always good, especially when they're an entry requirement of the Secret Ingredient.
      • Paimon's Dexterity: a +4 untyped bonus to Dexterity. Bonuses to attributes are always great, but untyped bonuses are even better.
      • Paimon's skills: you can tumble untrained, and you get a +4 untyped bonus on Tumble and Perform (dance) checks. Untyped bonuses once again, and the bonus to Tumble can help us move in combat when we don't want to provoke AoOs.
      • Uncanny Dodge: retain DEX bonus to AC, even when flatfooted or surprised. Since DEX and AC are focuses of this build, this is a very good thing. Since Dulcinea relies on Dodge bonuses (Dodge, Mobility, Mobile Fighting, and Size Advantage), this is a great thing.
      • Whirlwind Attack: While not incredibly useful given Dulcinea's tactics, it's always good to have multiple options in combat.

Keep in mind that you still can bind other vestiges if you're in a tight spot, but doing so would cause you to lose access to the abilities of the Blade Bravo as well as the vestige's protection abilities of the Knight of the Sacred Seal.
    • Belle of the Ball: CHA synergy is the name of the game for Dulcinea. She gets to add her CHA bonus to:
      • Turning attempts: 3+CHA/day
      • Damage [uses a turn attempt] (Divine Might)
      • Attack 2/day (smite evil--extra attempt granted by Mighty Smiting rapier)
      • Attack and damage with light/one-handed weapons as long as she moves 10 feet (Slippers of Battledancing)
      • Saves (divine grace)
      • Healing 4*CHA HP/day (Lay on Hands)
      • AC and Reflex saves 1/5 rounds (Vestige's Protection)
      • Disarm, Trip, Bull Rush, and Sunder attempts (Marshal 1's Art of War minor aura)
      • CHA*d6 extra damage on ranged damage [uses a turn attempt] (Larethian Protector)
    • Mosh Pit: As mentioned above, Paimon's abilities provide great synergy with Blade Bravo. You can take a free action to switch Law Devotion (which you activated before the enemies were in range) to AC for a scaling bonus, a swift action to activate Vestige's Protection for a +CHA to AC, a free action to activate Divine Might (mmm, CHA to damage), then use Improved Feint to feint as a move action (with a +10 bonus from Flourish) against multiple opponents (thanks to the Group Fake Out skill trick). You're going to move through each enemy's threatened space, but you have the option to deny opponents you feint their AoOs (via the Timely Misdirection skill trick). Even if you don't, you have all of your regular AC bonuses, plus extra from Law Devotion and Vestige's Protection at higher levels.

Now it's time to bust some heads. You attack each enemy once (with Paimon's Dance of Death). You unfortunately can't take any extra attacks while moving, but you can still use Elusive Target to negate their power attack bonuses or cause them to strike their allies if you move through a flanked square. Each attack you make is a sneak attack thanks to the feint. They have to make a Fortitude save (DC=damage) or be staggered, meaning that they can only move or take a standard action. They can't close in on your party and attack, and none of them can make a full attack on you. The Dance of Death can be used once every 5 rounds, while the skill tricks are only 1/encounter. However, feel free to dart around your foes on your turn--you can still use Acrobatic Backstab to flatfoot somebody, and sneak attack them as well. At higher levels, Lethal Riposte ensures you a sneak attack when a foe misses you 1/round. That's a lot of staggering.

While it's usually suboptimal to dart about making one attack per round, this is where Elusive Target comes in. As your opponents try to take AoOs against you (which is difficult, see "Not that Kind of Party," below), not only can you use the same Elusive Target tricks as before, but now you can also try to trip each person that attacks you for free! Improved Trip offsets your -4 penalty for being small, and Marshal 1's Art of War aura lets you add your CHA mod to your trip check. This is also supplemented by your gear. Finally, because of Improved Trip, you get a free attack versus the downed foe.
    • Not that Kind of Party: Always ladylike, Dulcinea isn't fond of random men laying their hands on her. As such, she has multiple ways to boost her AC through the roof, as outlined below:
      • Light armor (Blade Bravo bonuses and mobility are hampered by anything heavier)
      • Animated shield (it's always good to have a free hand)
      • Sacred bonus from Law Devotion (scales with levels, rechargeable with Turn attempts)
      • +CHA Insight bonus from Vestige's Protection
      • High DEX
      • Dodge bonuses (Dodge, Mobility, Mobile Fighting, Size Advantage)

Furthermore, Dulcinea retains her DEX bonus (as well as dodge bonuses) while flatfooted, since Paimon grants Uncanny Dodge. Also, the only bonuses that do not apply against touch attacks are the armor and shield bonuses, making Dulcinea a tough target even for casters' touch attacks. Lastly, Elusive Target and Lethal Riposte allow you some nice options when attacks miss you, which should happen frequently.
    • A Lovely Parting Gift: For most of this build, you need Improved Binding in order to bind Paimon. However, once you reach level 19, your effective binder level is already 5, thanks to the boost from Knight of the Sacred Seal. Feel free to retrain that feat to anything useful--I picked Law Devotion because of its versatility, flavor, and the fact that you can use turn attempts (which Dulcinea has plenty of) in order to recharge the feat.

Possible Gear List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Helm of Tactics: adding +1 to your minor aura means +1 to trip attempts
    • Goggles of Foefinding: no need to worry about cover
    • Hand of Glory: an extra ring for 8,000 gp is always a steal
    • Cloak of Charisma +6
    • Armbands of Might: another bonus to trip attempts, not to mention damage with Power Attack
    • Brute Gloves (w/ +6 DEX enhancement): more trip bonuses
    • Ring of Freedom of Movement: you always move, so you want to make sure you always can move.
    • Ring of Protection +5
    • Ring of Reduction: constant Reduce Person
    • Vest of Resistance +5
    • Belt of Battle (w/ +2 STR enhancement): extra move actions mean you can feint, move to activate the Slippers of Battledancing, and still use Paimon's Dance of Death
    • Slippers of Battledancing: CHA to attack and damage as long as you move 10 feet or more as part of a move action. Paimon's dance of death alone isn't enough, but in conjunction with a Belt of Battle, these are nasty.
    • The Hand of Paimon: +1 Fierce Keen Bloodfeeding Bloodstone Mighty Smiting Stunning Surge Sudden Stunning Rapier.
      • Fierce: You can apply some of your DEX mod to damage, if foes are missing you by a long shot. Make sure to leave at least a +1, to keep your Dodge bonuses active.
      • Keen: A higher chance of critical hits is always a good thing, especially with the rapier's range.
      • Bloodfeeding: free extra damage is always a good thing
      • Bloodstone: your party caster (or friendly merchant caster) casts Vampiric Touch once, allowing you to use it later (empowered) for free.
      • Mighty Smiting: bonuses to your smite attack and damage, along with another smite per day, help when you don't have many paladin levels.
      • Stunning Surge: CHA-based save DC that stacks with level? Yes please!
      • Sudden Stunning: CHA-based save DC that stacks with level? Yes please!
      • Truedeath Crystal, Lesser: extra damage against undead, and functions as a ghost touch weapon, all for 5,000 gp.
    • The Stinger: +1 Sweeping Stunning Surge Chain and Dagger (A&E): the trip attempts you get from Elusive Target will be made using this weapon--follow up with a melee attack from The Hand of Paimon
    • Latherian Protector: the only ranged weapon you'll ever need, you can add CHA*d6 damage against evil humanoids (who happen to be your favored enemies) for the low cost of one turn attempt.
    • Mithralmist shirt w/ Lesser Iron Ward Diamond: Concealment and damage reduction are both nice.
    • Shield of the Seal: +1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield w/ Moderate Fortification: chance to negate extra damage, and both hands free to use both your rapier and chain-and-dagger
    • Vestige Phylactery: For those instances where you NEED to bind another vestige, you can still keep Paimon at the ready.
    • Manual of Quickness in Action +4
    • Tome of Leadership & Influence +4
    • ~8,521 gp "fun money" left over

Build Notes/Additional Cheese:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Setting-specific material: The Shadow Cloak Knights are found in the Champions of Valor web enhancement. If your DM doesn't allow Forgotten Realms (or online) material, nothing is lost by taking levels of standard paladin except favored enemy (or see below for variants).
    • Multiclass penalties: if multiclass penalties are in effect, the build should progress as Binder 2/Paladin 2/Binder +1/Paladin +2/Blade Bravo 10/Knight of the Sacred Seal 2/Marshal 1. This way, the only time you incur a multiclass penalty is once you reach level 20, which makes it negligible.
    • Fractional BAB and saves: If fractional BAB and saves are allowed, Dulcinea would have a +19 BAB and saves of +10/+10/+9.
    • Traits and flaws: If allowed, Dulcinea would take the Quick trait, as the extra land speed translates into extra attacks for Paimon's Dance of Death. The flaws she would take are Shaky and Vulnerable, providing two feats that would be used to acquire Martial Study (any Shadow Hand) and Martial Stance (Child of Shadow). This would provide her with a 20% miss chance whenever she moves (which is always), and opens up the possibility of taking Shadow Blade instead of another feat later, allowing her to add her DEX modifier to damage with Shadow Hand weapons.
    • Racial/class variants: if race and class variants from Unearthed Arcana are allowed, Dulcinea would be a Desert Gnome Paladin of Tyranny. The +2 to Bluff would be nice, and the -2 debuff aura would be useful for foes attempting to save against Staggering Strike or Goad.
    • LA buyoff: if available, Dulcinea would start with the Phrenic template, with level adjustment bought off at levels 6 and 9. While this delays her early development, it provides a boost to her CHA (which translates to a boost in many areas), as well as a wide array of psychic abilities to complement her combat prowess. Phrenic psi-like abilities have two great things going for them:
      1. The save DCs are CHA-based.
      2. Psi-like abilities are always fully augmented, with a manifester level equal to the character's HD, or character level.
      The abilities provide Dulcinea with some ranged prowess, healing ability, defensive buffs, and psionic dominate, with its limitless possibilities. The only reason LA buyoff wasn't assumed in this build is that the phrenic template brings so much to the table, it is rightfully considered cheesy for a paltry 2 levels. If your DM doesn't allow psionics, but does allow LA buyoff, consider starting Dulcinea with the half-fey template, for some great spell-like abilities and flight.

Sources:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Arms & Equipment Guide (Chain-and-dagger, Fierce, Latherian Protector)
    • Champions of Valor Web Enhancement (Shadow Cloak Knights)
    • Complete Adventurer (Staggering Strike)
    • Complete Champion (Law Devotion, Holy Warrior)
    • Complete Warrior (Divine Might, Elusive Target)
    • Dungeon Master's Guide II (Slippers of Battledancing, Sudden Stunning)
    • Lords of Madness: Ring of Reduction (pg 130)
    • Magic Item Compendium (most gear)
    • Miniatures Handbook (Marshall)
    • PHB (paladin, feats)
    • Races of Stone (Blade Bravo, Goad)
    • Tome of Magic (Binder, Knight of the Sacred Seal, Improved Binding, vestige phylactery)

RECOMMENDED READING (sources mentioned only in BUILD NOTES/ADDITIONAL CHEESE):
    • Unearthed Arcana (desert gnome, paladin of tyranny, variant rules)
    • Fiend Folio (half-fey template)
    • Expanded Psionics Handbook (phrenic template)
    • Tome of Battle (martial study, martial stance, shadow blade0)
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-09 at 01:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias9 View Post
    That's the last of them. Judges, start your scoring-engines.

Because I posted these very early in the day and have two posts sandwiching the entries that can be edited, I'll still except entries till early afternoon my time (about 10 hours from when I edited this post).
    Is that really fair since they can see those builds?

That said I've given a once over on the crunch, I will actually read through everything today. However since it is my father's birthday, tommorrow is probably when I will get to actually judging them for my 2nd thorough read. Not to mention look at late entries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.
    Question about this - is Dragon Magazine Compendium counted as "any official 3.5 rulebook"? How about the Dragonlance Campaign setting or other "3rd party" books stamped as official WotC products?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

I read through a the entries as they were being posted. I have to say that I was very impressed. I'll mull over things for a while, then begin scoring in a couple of days.

I have a few questions about some of the rules interpretations used by a couple of contestants, though It could be a misunderstanding of RAW by me. I will re-read the relevant books and if I am not satisfied I'll think of a delicate way of phrasing these concerns, as I do not wish to affect the rulings of other judges, or unfairly penalise a build over a minor mistake.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was a bit surprised to see builds posted before what had become the customary 9pm Eastern on the due date. Hopefully any stragglers won't be discouraged from entering before the actual deadline. I know Prinny often remarked on the last-minute rush of entries.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also, am shocked to see builds posted at what is ** 5am ** my local time (western US) on the date the contest is due. From reading of previous builds/contests, I had assumed we had until tonight, and frankly, I work a mon-fri 8-5 job.

ESPECIALLY since at least one build looks vaguely similar to my own... no matter how I spin this, I now look like I'm copy catting someone's build after putting in a lot of thought and effort this last week.

edit: after reading these entries, I'm not even going to bother posting mine. It's obvious my simple build that actually uses a *gasp* basic gnome isn't going to cut it.

in the future, can we please have a definite date and TIME of when the posts are do in? I for one assumed I had another several hours yet and have been completely discouraged from competing by the builds I've seen.
    Last edited by Greyfell; 2010-09-09 at 07:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Question about this - is Dragon Magazine Compendium counted as "any official 3.5 rulebook"? How about the Dragonlance Campaign setting or other "3rd party" books stamped as official WotC products?
    Dragon Magazine isn't allowed, so I doubt the compendium would be. However, settings are fair game as long as they are 3rd ed, or been updated to 3rd ed.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Dragon Magazine isn't allowed, so I doubt the compendium would be. However, settings are fair game as long as they are 3rd ed, or been updated to 3rd ed.
    We've been through this before and Dragon Compendium was officially stated as IC-legal.

12. - Top - End - #162

Okay, somewhat cross about the early deadline

Still, my build was similar to some of those up there already...
    Not a formal submission, I think it's really quite unfair to do so after some have been posted.

Spoiler
    Show

Winged Murkdweller

Tiny Monstrous Humanoid
    20ft land, 20ft swim, 40ft fly (perfect)
    Str -6, Dex +10, Cha -2
    LA+2
    +3 Natural Armour
    Bite attack (1d3)
    Squirt (Ex,free action, 25ft range, DC10+dexmod reflex save or be blinded for 1 round)
    Weapon Finesse

1| Ninja 1 | Weapon Finesse, Flyby Attack
    2| Psychic Warrior 1 | Quick Draw (for skill tricks)
    3| Drow Fighter 1 | Weapon Focus, Combat Expertise
    4| Stoneblessed 1 |
    5| Psychic Warrior 2 | Practised Manifester
    6| Stoneblessed 2 | Craven
    7| Psychic Warrior 3 |
    8| Stoneblessed 3 |
    9| Blade Bravo 1 | Goad, Underfoot Combat
    10| Blade Bravo 2 |
    11| Blade Bravo 3 | Improved Feint
    12| Blade Bravo 4 | Confound the Big Folk
    13| Blade Bravo 5 |
    14| Blade Bravo 6 | Improved Trip
    15| Blade Bravo 7 | Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus)
    16| Blade Bravo 8 |
    17| Blade Bravo 9 | Improved Critical
    18| Blade Bravo 10 | Practised Manifester?

Being a Murkdweller allows one to get down to Fine size with a super-compression. Plus unlimited blinding with a super-huge Dex bonus...
    Last edited by IdleMuse; 2010-09-09 at 11:22 AM.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I think people who go caught by the early deadline should send their creation nonetheless.

It's a friendly contest after all. Maybe next time gives a clear GMT/CET deadline.

Don't blame the chairman it's his 1st time and it's kind enough of him to take care of it.

On a related subject, wouldn't it be better if the judges send their rating to the chairman who proceed to post them once he got them all (like the entries) rather than one by one on the thread ?

14. - Top - End - #164

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I was a bit surprised to see builds posted before what had become the customary 9pm Eastern on the due date. Hopefully any stragglers won't be discouraged from entering before the actual deadline. I know Prinny often remarked on the last-minute rush of entries.
    I had never noticed that there was a regular time. I'd always assumed it was by the beginning of the day listed. In hindsight, 9 eastern does seem more sensible.

I'll eat crow on this one an apologize to the contestants inconvenienced.

Sorry everyone.
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-09 at 01:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Banned

I had never noticed that there was a regular time.
    ...*snrk*

I just thought I hadn't noticed you changing it. But yeah, they've been posted within 1-15 mins of 9 every time

16. - Top - End - #166

GnomeWizardGuy

The Dragon Compendium (and only the Compendium) is fair game. The Dragonlance Campaign setting is WOTC, the other Dragonlance books are not (though they are licensed).
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-09 at 01:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167

NecromancerGuy

I had never noticed that there was a regular time. I'd always assumed it was by the beginning of the day listed. In hindsight, 9 eastern does seem more sensible.

I'll eat crow on this one an apologize to the contestants inconvenienced.
    No worries. I managed to finish and submit one of the three builds I was working on, at any rate. The second seems like it would have received a low score from at least one of the judges based on comments made as we built, while the third seemed dangerously close to the OKG.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DanReiv View Post
    On a related subject, wouldn't it be better if the judges send their rating to the chairman who proceed to post them once he got them all (like the entries) rather than one by one on the thread ?
    Why would that be better? It's just trouble for nothing, methinks.

19. - Top - End - #169

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Why would that be better? It's just trouble for nothing, methinks.
    At a guess, I'd say the concern is that judges can potentially be influenced by the opinions of the other judges, just as entrants can potentially be influenced by the ideas and entries of other contestants (which may be part of the assumed rationale for having them all posted at once).

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

The Dragon Compendium (and only the Compendium) is fair game. The Dragonlance Campaign setting is WOTC, the other Dragonlance books are not (though they are licensed).
    Guess I was wrong on all accounts.

Not that I have any of them, but if we can use Forgotten Realms and Eberron what's different with Dragonlance?

21. - Top - End - #171

GnomeWizardGuy

Guess I was wrong on all accounts.

Not that I have any of them, but if we can use Forgotten Realms and Eberron what's different with Dragonlance?
    The FR and Eberon books were published by WOTC. Of the Dragonlance books, only the Campaign setting is WOTC published. The rest of the Dragonlance books are licensed, but not published or imprinted, by WOTC (which makes them a little more official than Ravenloft, which was licensed by the people that WOTC licensed to maintain Ravenloft).

Edit: There is also one more entry to follow. Sorry again about the mess
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-09 at 02:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

GnomeWizardGuy

Hitler goes to a fortune-teller and asks, "When will I die?" And the fortune-teller replies, "On a Jewish holiday." Hitler then asks, "How do you know that?" And she replies, "Any day you die will be a Jewish holiday."
    -Jakob the Liar, 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob
    JAKOB THE LIAR
    A "Killer Gnome"-killer

"Damned gnomes."

The kobold sitting across the table from you scowls as he curses an entire race, flicks a match, and lights a tiny cigarette. Small tendrils of smoke waft through the air as he sits back, his narrow reptilian eyes scanning you over.

"It goes way back, before any of us. You humans wouldn't understand, but kobolds and gnomes? We go together like mustard and chocolate. Most times, it's simple stuff. We set some traps here or there, they pull some hocus-pocus tricks...child's play. But a few decades back, it got serious, see? A war broke out between the two, except there were no big battles.

This war was secret--the gnomes would send their best, sneaky little quiet bastards who would knife you before you even learned their names. Oh, heheh, by the way," he stammers, "my name's Jakob." He extends a scaly hand to you.

"Anyway, like I was saying, they started sending over these quiet guys to spy on us. We caught one of the bastards, me and my guys, and we tortured him until he told us everything he knew. We learned a lot from the little guy...mostly combat styles, the occasional gnomish secret. Well, my boys in R&D took the info I gave them, and they made some potion--one hell of a stink! They asked me to down it, said I was going in the field. Well, I listened, stupid me. I wish I hadn't; the potion gave me some kind of psionic powers, and my ears still ring to this day from it.

Anyway, they sent me out against the gnomes, to spy on them just like they'd done to us. I was green, I didn't know any better, and I got caught. Man, I thought what we did to that gnome we snagged was bad. They ran all sorts of tests on me, made me "one of their own," and trained me in the art of killing kobolds. The art, can you believe it? They brought in guys that I knew, and made me murder them. Desensitization or somesuch.

Well, apparently, I was good enough at that, because they put me in some elite training program, the Bravos. We only used rapiers, and they taught us all sorts of tricks--how to deceive your enemies in combat, how to use smaller size to your advantage...actually, it was a pretty solid program.

As soon as I finished training with them, I played the part. Good soldier, always followed orders. But I knew that I needed to bust out. I waited, and I studied everything that went on. Eventually, I found a gap in the guard patrols every Tuesday around dusk. I just started running, and I never went back--good riddance, I say. I couldn't go back to my people, though. The damned gnomes had turned me into some kind of serial killer. So I took up with whoever didn't ask questions, even stayed with some drow for a while. Did odd jobs, here and there, you know? Just an honest lizard trying to stay good in a world gone wrong."

With this, he smiles, and his forked tongue spits out from behind his lips for a second. His eyes never stop scanning you. "So, yeah," he continues, "I don't know why you wanted to know, but that's my whole story. God's honest truth. Oh, and by the way," he stammers, extending his hand to you once again...

"My name ain't Jakob. Nothing personal, kid." The last thing you see is the tiny kobold shrinking in size until you can't find him anymore. You clutch your side in agony and close your eyes as you feel a small puncture wound. How could something so small hurt so much? you ask yourself, before collapsing into the waiting arms of death.

1st
    |
    Lurk 1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    Bluff 4, Disguise 4, Escape Artist 4, Hide 4, Move Silently 4, Psicraft 4, Speak Gnome
    |
    Combat Expertise
    |
    Lurk Augment

2nd
    |
    Lurk 2
    |
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    Bluff 1, Craft: stoneworking 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1, Tumble 1, Speak Terran
    ||
    Psionic Sneak attack +1d6

3rd
    |
    Lurk 3
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    Appraise 1 (cc), Bluff 1, Craft: stoneworking 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1, Tumble 1
    |
    Dodge
    |

4th
    |
    Swashbuckler 1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    Appraise 1 (cc), Bluff 1, Craft: stoneworking 1, Escape Artist 1, Move Silently 1 (cc), Tumble 1
    |
    Weapon Finesse
    |
    Weapon Finesse

5th
    |
    Swashbuckler 2
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    Bluff 1, Craft: stoneworking 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Tumble 1
    ||
    Arcane Stunt (blur) replaces Grace +1

6th
    |
    Swashbuckler 3
    |
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    Bluff 1, Craft: stoneworking 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Tumble 1
    |
    Practiced Manifester
    |
    Insightful Strike

7th
    |
    Stoneblessed 1
    |
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    Bluff 1 (cc), Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc)
    ||
    Stonebond

8th
    |
    Stoneblessed 2
    |
    +6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    Bluff 1 (cc), Hide 1.5 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc)
    ||
    Racial Battle Technique

9th
    |
    Stoneblessed 3
    |
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    Bluff 1 (cc), Hide 1.5 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc)
    |
    Weapon Focus (Rapier)
    |
    Stoneborn

10th
    |
    Blade Bravo 1
    |
    +8/+3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    Bluff 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Tumble 1, Easy Escape
    |
    Goad
    |
    Flourish, Goad

11th
    |
    Blade Bravo 2
    |
    +9/+4
    |
    +7
    |
    +8
    |
    +5
    |
    Bluff 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Tumble 1, Escape Attack
    ||
    Mobile Fighting

12th
    |
    Blade Bravo 3
    |
    +10/+5
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Tumble 1, Quick Escape
    |
    Darkstalker, Improved Feint
    |
    Bonus Feat

13th
    |
    Blade Bravo 4
    |
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Open Lock 1 (cc), Tumble 1
    ||
    Melee sneak attack +1d6

14th
    |
    Blade Bravo 5
    |
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Disable Device 1 (cc), Escape Artist 1, Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Tumble 1
    ||
    Size advantage

15th
    |
    Assassin 1
    |
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Escape Artist 3, Hide 1, Move Silently 1, Tumble 3
    |
    Underfoot Combat
    |
    Sneak attack +1d6*, poison use, death attack, spells

16th
    |
    Drow Fighter 1
    |
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +10
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1 (cc), Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc), Open Lock 1 (cc)
    |
    Surprising Riposte
    |
    Bonus feat, Hit and Run Tactics (+2 initiative, +DEX competence bonus to damage against flatfooted foes) [replaces Heavy Armor Prof]

17th
    |
    Drow Fighter 2
    |
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1 (cc), Disable Device 1 (cc), Hide 1 (cc), Move Silently 1 (cc)
    |
    Titan Fighting
    |
    Bonus feat

18th
    |
    Factotum 1
    |
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +13
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Disable Device 3, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1, Open Lock 2, Search 2, Tumble 1
    |
    Confound the Big Folk
    |
    Inspiration 2/encounter, cunning insight, cunning knowledge, trapfinding

19th
    |
    Factotum 2
    |
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |
    +6
    |
    Bluff 1, Disable Device 3, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1, Open Lock 2, Search 2, Tumble 1
    ||
    Inspiration 3/encounter, Arcane Dilettante (1 spell--Insightful Feint)

20th
    |
    Factotum 3
    |
    +16/+11/+6
    |
    +12
    |
    +14
    |
    +7
    |
    ||
    Brains over Brawn, cunning defense
    [/table]

STR: 8 base-4 racial-1 age+6 enhancement= 9 (-1)
    DEX: 18 base+2 racial-1 age+6 enhancement+5 inherent= 30 (+10)
    CON: 8 base-2 racial-1 age+6 enhancement=11 (+0)
    INT: 18 base+1 age+5 levels+6 enhancement+4 inherent=34 (+12)
    WIS: 8 base+1 age+6 enhancement=15 (+2)
    CHA: 8 base+1 age+6 enhancement=15 (+2)

KEY ITEMS
    1. Belt of Magnificence +6: +6 bonus to all stats
    2. Collar of Continual Umbral Metamorphosis: grants the Dark template
    3. Manual of DEX +5
    4. Tome of INT +4

Highlights/Tricks:
    • Extra damage: Jakob can add INT to his attacks (from Swashbuckler 3), as well as DEX against flat-footed foes (from Drow Fighter 1). Though it doesn't stack (and should only be used against non-flatfooted foes), Factotum 1 provides the ability to use an Inspiration point for INT to damage (among other things). Lastly, the lurk augment functions as an improved sneak attack, allowing you to spend power points to do more sneak attack damage, or to STUN your target for one round, with an INT-based DC. Excellent.
    • Stealth: At 20th level, assuming only the key equipment listed, Jakob has a maximum Hide bonus of +95 (+23 ranks+14 DEX [boosted due to augmented compression and augmented Adrenaline Boost]+12 INT [Brains over Brawn]+8 racial [Dark template]+16 size [treated as Fine due to augmented compression and Slight Build]+10 enhancement [Chameleon]+12 INT [cunning skill]). When combined with Darkstalker and Hide in Plain Sight, this should mean that the targets of Jakob's death attack will never even see it coming.
    • Size: Jakob starts as small, but thanks to the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement, has Slight Build, which allows him to be treated as tiny when it benefits him. He can use Compression to shrink to Tiny (and count as diminuitive), and then at later levels he can use Practiced Manifester to augment it to shrink to Diminuitive (but be treated as Fine). This carries the benefit of a +16 size modifier to Hide, a +4 attack bonus, and a +4 size bonus to AC. Furthermore, anything Diminuitive or bigger is treated as larger than you, so you get your sweet bonuses from Blade Bravo. Also, anything Tiny or larger (including the Other Killer Gnome) is two sizes larger than you, so you can use Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk against shrunken gnomes. Talk about a taste of their own medicine!
    • The Feint of Heart: While the level of assassin may seem out of place, it is there to provide Jakob spellcasting access (mostly from bonus spells) of one spell--Insightful Feint. This gem from Spell Compendium gives you a +10 to your next feint, and allows you to feint as a free action if you have Improved Feint. Though it takes a swift action to cast, this means you can feint and full attack to your heart's content without relying on a Belt of Battle or similar tricks to get extra move actions. Hooray! Also, Factotum's Arcane Dilettante extends to 1st-level spells at 3rd level, allowing us to snag one more casting of Insightful Feint per day.
    • The Dark Template: the more expensive collar of umbral metamorphosis can grant us this template all day, which provides a 10 ft bonus to speed (which isn't changed by our shrinking tricks), darkvision out to 60 ft (a little better than kobolds usually get), cold resistance 10, a +8 bonus to Hide and a +6 bonus to Move Silently, along with Hide in Plain Sight. With our ungodly hide modifier and Darkstalker, this ability basically functions as a get out of jail free card.

Sources:
    Complete Psionics: lurk, Practiced Manifester, Adrenaline Boost
    Complete Warrior: Swashbuckler
    Expanded Psionics Handbook: Compression, Chameleon
    Lords of Madness: Darkstalker
    Races of Stone: Blade Bravo, Stoneblessed, Goad, Titan Fighting
    Races of the Wild: Underfoot Combat, Confound the Big Folk
    DMG: Assassin
    Drow of the Underdark: Drow Fighter ACF, Surprising Riposte
    Dungeonscape: Factotum
    PHB: feats
    Monster Manual I: kobold stats
    Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement: Slight Build and kobold natural weapons
    Miniatures Handbook: Belt of Magnificence
    Tome of Magic: Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just thought I hadn't noticed you changing it. But yeah, they've been posted within 1-15 mins of 9 every time
    To be fair, I was late on my presentation nearly every time. The 9 PM standard was for two reasons.

1. It presented a much clearer deadline.
    2. That's when I was home.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    At a guess, I'd say the concern is that judges can potentially be influenced by the opinions of the other judges, just as entrants can potentially be influenced by the ideas and entries of other contestants (which may be part of the assumed rationale for having them all posted at once).
    That was my point yeah.

Bear in mind I'm no judge nor contestant, just a lurker who spend hours on builds that doesn't work in the end

Good luck to all playa anyways. Some fun stuff here. Heavy on the stoneblessed but that was expected.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Banned

Very interesting the abundance of psionics in this one.

27. - Top - End - #177

Very interesting the abundance of psionics in this one.
    Compression ftw? Also, Psionics tend to be more conducive to flexible gishy builds.
    Last edited by IdleMuse; 2010-09-09 at 04:35 PM.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

28. - Top - End - #178

Phew, managed to get 2 out of 3 builds in. Upon further review, I think they were the two best out of my lot. The third...well, it was a fun trick, but didn't really put Blade Bravo to much use. I may keep it in reserve for a more suited challenge in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I'm kinda glad I didn't submit one...my first thought was Catfolk Swashbuckler 3/Binder 4/Stoneblessed 3/Blade Bravo 10...

Binder was mainly for Dance of Death, Swashbuckler to get INT as damage on rapiers...dual wielding rapiers, taking Catfolk Pounce and Double Hit...but all in all, the build was just messy, didn't have any real synergy with Blade Bravo, and was quite MAD.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Just my personal opinion, but I really like Jacob the Liar. Great use of a variety of ACFs and small dips in several classes to achieve a really solid 1-20 build with a twist on the killer gnome
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!