New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default One Piece -- Discussion

Recent Chapter Spoiler ahead!

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, as some of you are sure to know, One Piece is on a time skip, with author Eiichiro Oda taking a 4 week break.

Thoughts? Predictions?
    Thanks for the awesome avatar goes to Djinn_In_Tonic. Thanks!

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    -Voltaire

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Luffy will actually get way better, unlike a certain other shonen hero we know of.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Luffy - Learning how to use Haki under Silvers Rayleigh. Will possibly acquire another Gear.
    Zoro - Training under Mihawk. New techniques, and explorations of Haki and his "demonic" asura abilities are likely. It would be funny if Perona's ghosts were used in this "spiritual" training.
    Nami - Learning weather patterns on the floating island. An upgraded Clima Tact, and new navigational skills.
    Usopp - Training under Hercule. New bamboo-technology gadgets are expected, as well as his simply becoming more formidable, physically.
    Sanji - Learning how to use Okama Kenpo under Emporio Ivankov. New techniques are expected, as well as further increased MANLINESS.
    Chopper - Learning tribal medicine. Improved Rumble Balls and medical skills expected (likely some less "traditional" medicine too, to keep up with his Blackbeard counterpart), perhaps with some improved understanding of Monster Chopper.
    Robin - Working with Dragon and the revolutionaries. Likely improved connections and perhaps some skills/weapons gained from studying ancient tablets. Combat training under him is also possible.
    Franky - Studying at Vegapunk's lab. Improved weapons and armour, as well as more futuristic tech, a la Bart "It's a laser!" Kuma.
    Brook - Undertaking the role of a performing demon. Broadened and enhanced musical skills, perhaps with some demon-instrument (a solid gold fiddle?) to go along with it, courtesy of his summoners.

I wonder if Jinbei will be joining the crew once they reunite? After all, after the timeskip of training they should each be on a closer par with him, and the one thing they don't have is a fish man... Still, his character is quite similar to Zoro/Brook/Robin, so I don't wonder if he might be left out or this might be the final lineup of the Straw Hat Crew.

Buggy will likely become one of the new Shichibukai. I have no idea what Crocodile's up to, but it's likely awesome, especially with his ambition rekindled. Doflamingo's likely gathering forces for whatever nasty sh*t he's up to... I don't know if Gecko Moria is in his employ, or if he's going to try for the New World once more (if the latter, I expect him to show up looking for Mihawk and end up reuniting with Perona). I look forward to seeing Jewelry again, and wonder what the other Supernovas are going to get up to (especially Basil Hawkins, that guy's cool).
    Last edited by Revlid; 2010-08-31 at 05:37 PM.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My bet is on Jinbei dying during the timeskip, or dramatically moments after their reunion. I somehow feel he's doomed to suffer some horrible fate.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    Luffy - Learning how to use Haki under Silvers Rayleigh. Will possibly acquire another Gear.
    Zoro - Training under Mihawk. New techniques, and explorations of Haki and his "demonic" asura abilities are likely. It would be funny if Perona's ghosts were used in this "spiritual" training.
    Nami - Learning weather patterns on the floating island. An upgraded Clima Tact, and new navigational skills.
    Usopp - Training under Hercule. New bamboo-technology gadgets are expected, as well as his simply becoming more formidable, physically.
    Sanji - Learning how to use Okama Kenpo under Emporio Ivankov. New techniques are expected, as well as further increased MANLINESS.
    Chopper - Learning tribal medicine. Improved Rumble Balls and medical skills expected (likely some less "traditional" medicine too, to keep up with his Blackbeard counterpart), perhaps with some improved understanding of Monster Chopper.
    Robin - Working with Dragon and the revolutionaries. Likely improved connections and perhaps some skills/weapons gained from studying ancient tablets. Combat training under him is also possible.
    Franky - Studying at Vegapunk's lab. Improved weapons and armour, as well as more futuristic tech, a la Bart "It's a laser!" Kuma.
    Brook - Undertaking the role of a performing demon. Broadened and enhanced musical skills, perhaps with some demon-magic to go along with it, courtesy of his summoners.

I wonder if Jinbei will be joining the crew once they reunite? After all, after the timeskip of training they should each be on a closer par with him, and the one thing they don't have is a fish man... Still, his character is quite similar to Zoro/Brook/Robin, so I don't wonder if he might be left out or this might be the final lineup of the Straw Hat Crew.

Buggy will likely become one of the new Shichibukai.
    I have no idea what Crocodile's up to, but it's likely awesome, especially with his ambition rekindled. Doflamingo's likely gathering forces for whatever nasty sh*t he's up to... I don't know if Gecko Moria is in his employ, or if he's going to try for the New World once more (if the latter, I expect him to show up looking for Mihawk and end up reuniting with Perona). I look forward to seeing Jewelry again, and wonder what the other Supernovas are going to get up to (especially Basil Hawkins, that guy's cool).
    I dilike your character predictions, but YES YES YES. That would be hilarious (Buggy I mean). Though it's highly unlikely. Daflamingo would kill him too easily, look what happened to Gecko.

As for Jimbei, nah. I think it'll e an unknown. I was actually thinking Crocodile and Jinbei for a while, but I changed my mind. If it's any introduced character, it'll be Oars Jr. (This is a joke. Sort of)I mean, "Hello!" they don't have a giant yet now do they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #6

Buggy will likely become one of the new Shichibukai. I have no idea what Crocodile's up to, but it's likely awesome, especially with his ambition rekindled. Doflamingo's likely gathering forces for whatever nasty sh*t he's up to... I don't know if Gecko Moria is in his employ, or if he's going to try for the New World once more (if the latter, I expect him to show up looking for Mihawk and end up reuniting with Perona). I look forward to seeing Jewelry again, and wonder what the other Supernovas are going to get up to (especially Basil Hawkins, that guy's cool).
    Isn't Moria dead?

I think plenty of the supernova will be wiped out a la Blackbeard, as he already got Jewelry and Capone.

-Voltaire

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Erts View Post
    Isn't Moria dead?

I think plenty of the supernova will be wiped out a la Blackbeard, as he already got Jewelry and Capone.
    Doflamingo informed the World Government that Moria suddenly vanished just before the killing stroke could be dealt. To me, this means that either Moria had an ace up his sleeve (and will be rejoining the New World race) or Doflamingo has recruited him for whatever plan he's cooking.

I don't think it was Blackbeard that got Capone - Capone was sucked into one of the many weird and exotic dangers of the New World (likely not for good) while Blackbeard had yet to re-enter it (he was trying to get a ship from the Marines in exchange for Bonney).

I think each of supernovas has an arc ahead of them - they're no redshirts. (and it's not "a la", as in this context that means "like", or "just as")

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Feet
    My bet is on Jinbei dying during the timeskip, or dramatically moments after their reunion. I somehow feel he's doomed to suffer some horrible fate.
    I am, depressingly, going to agree with the idea that Jinbei has an Obi-Wan fate ahead of him. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll
    I dilike your character predictions, but YES YES YES. That would be hilarious (Buggy I mean). Though it's highly unlikely. Daflamingo would kill him too easily, look what happened to Gecko.
    Buggy already got the call to become a Shichibukai, as I recall. That's the only thing I can think of that the call might have been. As for power levels - well, he can bluff pretty well, he's lucky, and now that he's got his ambition back it's entirely possible he'll undergo another power boost - he wasn't that far off Luffy before, lack of protagonism aside.

I'll also note that Doflamingo was backed up by a couple of Kumabots when he took on Moria. I'll also also note that Moria's "dismissal" wasn't due to power levels - it was due to the fact that he'd suffered an embarrasing defeat and lost his crew. Buggy, on the other hand, is right in the center of the world's eye, tagged as a potential future Yonkou, in charge of a whole crew of bloodthirsty former-Impel-Down inmates. Get him on-side, and you're getting a lot more than just another beatstick.

How do you mean you dislike my character predictions? For the Straw Hats? That's what they're doing. I mean, that's where we last saw them. It's canon. The only speculation is regards what abilities they'll pick up beyond the obvious (Brook getting something devil-themed, for example).
    Last edited by Revlid; 2010-08-31 at 05:40 PM.
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

8. - Top - End - #8

How do you mean you dislike my character predictions? For the Straw Hats? That's what they're doing. I mean, that's where we last saw them. It's canon. The only speculation is regards what abilities they'll pick up beyond the obvious (Brook getting something devil-themed, for example).
    I agree with you on all the powers, as what is most likely, except for Brook. Devil themed magic? There isn't magic in One Piece, the summoners just happened to have him crash down at the same time. It's more "sci-fantasy," but even that doesn't describe it accurately.

-Voltaire

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll also also note that Moria's "dismissal" wasn't due to power levels - it was due to the fact that he'd suffered an embarrasing defeat and lost his crew.
    Maybe, but I remeber that Daflamingo said that Moria was too weak becuase of what happened.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I was thinking that Bonney could join the crew... just a thought.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I was thinking that Bonney could join the crew... just a thought.
    She has her own crew, why would she do that?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    She has her own crew, why would she do that?
    I kind of got the impression that Blackbeard and co. killed all of them... might of misread though.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I read it untill onemanga.com took all the mangas down, don't know where to read them now

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I got to the part just after Ace's dead and the flashback, and then there were like two chapters of Luffy being depressed

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I read it untill onemanga.com took all the mangas down, don't know where to read them now
    There are at least 2 other major sites where you can find the serie, though we are apperently not allowed to mention them.

Well, one of them have the word fox in its name, you should be able to find that one on google.

That aside, it seems clear Blackbeard is going to be a rival and dark mirror to Luffy, where he even got a crew of the apropriate size now.

But what about Smoker, it does seem like he is trying to do the same, though so far we havent seen many potential menbers for him.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But what about Smoker, it does seem like he is trying to do the same, though so far we havent seen many potential menbers for him.
    Smoker
    Tashigi
    Coby?
    Helmeppo?
    Black Cage Hina?
    Jango & Fullbody?
    T-Bone?

Yeah, I expect he'll be getting some more named crew members over the timeskip.

Quote Originally Posted by Erts
    Devil themed magic? There isn't magic in One Piece, the summoners just happened to have him crash down at the same time. It's more "sci-fantasy," but even that doesn't describe it accurately.
    True, I realised that sounded a bit out of theme just after, and changed it to "demon instrument". Whether that's an instrument that's been fed a Devil Fruit (like Mr.4's gun) or an actual demonic instrument (like Zoro's swords).

However, there certainly are things that can't easily be classed as science. Zoro's swords, Balloon from romance Dawn 2, even the Devil Fruits themselves. For the most part, I think One Piece works similarly to Exalted - everything is magic, which makes all magic quantifiable like science. They don't have to be one or the other. If you can come up with a realistic explanation for Den Den Mushi, Devil Fruits, Cursed Swords, super-Hypnosis, Haki, Rokushiki, Life Return, or a dozen other things that doesn't use the phrase "and then some magic happens", I will applaud.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Sooo...

Can someone tell me what's the appeal? This is supposedly one of the big 3, so, one of the best mangas around. And yet...

I picked this up, only to find the art absolutely horrible (ok, I guess it is skilled, just not suiting my taste), characters shallow, toilet-like humor... I just don't know. Is there something wrong with me, did I picked wrong chapters (my friend lent me one of the middle books), or is it something not for me?

I don't know, I always search for something new and unique, yet this was one of the first mangas I couldn't (literally) stomach. So, which one was it?
    Above Us Only Sky

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Smoker
    Tashigi
    Coby?
    Helmeppo?
    Black Cage Hina?
    Jango & Fullbody?
    T-Bone?
    Ahh, i did not count Hina because she seems to pretty high in rank, and not the type who would suddenly serve under Smoker.

And i kinda think Jango and Fullbody is a bit to weak.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

One Piece's biggest appeal is that it runs the whole gamut artistically. It goes from wacky toilet humor to great drama and from poor sketches to awesome scenes while making sense all the way through.

It also keeps moving, much faster usually than Naruto or Bleach. One Piece has shorter, more self-contained arcs, meaning you can effectively read a part of the story and enjoy it without knowing what happened prior or later. It hasn't stalled in any one arc, ever, unlike Bleach.

Also, unlike Naruto and Bleach, One Piece keeps much better track of its large cast. It manages to give development and importance to a much greater share of non-protagonists than many other mangas.

I can understand if it didn't appeal to you, though. The series has very high Holy **** Quotient and often raises the question "What is the author smoking?" It is very high on humor and often goes to reaaaally low places with it. Chances are you picked up one of the more comedic chapters - if you can't stomach that sort of thing, the series might not be for you. XD
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

There are at least 2 other major sites where you can find the serie, though we are apperently not allowed to mention them.

Well, one of them have the word fox in its name, you should be able to find that one on google.
    That ain't working for me either

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Sooo...

Can someone tell me what's the appeal? This is supposedly one of the big 3, so, one of the best mangas around. And yet...

I picked this up, only to find the art absolutely horrible (ok, I guess it is skilled, just not suiting my taste), characters shallow, toilet-like humor... I just don't know. Is there something wrong with me, did I picked wrong chapters (my friend lent me one of the middle books), or is it something not for me?

I don't know, I always search for something new and unique, yet this was one of the first mangas I couldn't (literally) stomach. So, which one was it?

1. The art definitely gets better as time goes on, and although Oda does have a few problems here and there, I think he often makes up for it by really putting his all into putting a lot of stuff in his panels;
    He'll always add stuff like backgrounds, ships and all sorts of other important details that really help with the general setting;
    You can obviously argue with his "style", but I feel that it, especially near the later chapters, really stands on it's own as an unique style.

2. The characters are hardly shallow, I'm not sure what chapter you read, but I generally see Oda's character templates a bit like this:
    1. make the base idea behind a character extremely simple and easy to understand, they often have a power or running gag that can be summarised in a single sentence however
    2. story wise he adds a lot of depth to a lot of characters, and not in the "oh look I'm conflicted and emotional boohoo"-type of way, a lot of his story arcs directly relate to the main cast and their emotions/place in the world.

One thing that makes most OP fans love the cast is that you have somewhat "shallow" first impressions of characters that are quite similar to an old cartoon show you might remember yet at the same time these characters do get affected by things that happen around them and do have their own fears, ambitions and all that.

3.The "toilet-like humour" I can't really comment on much, the humour in OP is often fairly "in your face" but hardly entirely toilet-humour, some jokes are a bit hit or miss at times, but there's a lot of humour in OP that I'd consider witty enough to stand firm above toilet-like humour.

Either way, considering the journey is a very important part of OP I think it's generally "best" to look through it from the start if you do want to get into it, I've seen people advice the "Arlong arc" (one of the earliest one) as a good summary of what One Piece is generally like/about, so if that arc doesn't fit your tastes at all, the whole of OP might not be your thing.

Hope this helps.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Sooo...

Well, what exact chapter and story arc did you read? Like many mangas, the beginning of One Piece isn't so good, except for the Arlong Arc and the parts with Buggy in the very beginning. I suggest one piece wiking a bunch of early arcs, past Baraque Works, and really when the crew get's into the Grand Line, it really picks up for the better.

One Piece has a very unique style; it's a manga which simultaneously takes itself seriously and very seriously. It has no wangst, no "single tear falling down the face," and a very well thought out world and characters.

-Voltaire

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The fact that it's publshed in JUMP means it's big, just being their. Also, the characters. Oda has a cast of 100's all of them are unique, and all of them are likeable. He brings back the ones that are interesting in new and inventive ways.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

for jewelery bonney. i think the government is probably going to use her to deage the old marines to be their prime age. imagine garp a ripe 20 year old.

on the steep end of that thought
    de age the gorosei and maybe they are really uber in strength.

my current bets on the supernovas:
    hawkins survives
    Kid survives
    capone is dead
    apoo runs out the new world
    Xdrake gets merged with kaidou
    Urouge gets beat in new world
    Law survives

straw hats.
    luffy learns all three haki
    zoro learns armor type
    sanji i hope mantra type but probably armor type
    everyone else powers up some other way.

@Iribis

art syle in One piece is hard to get by. it kinda grows on after sometime. it get very distinctive. there tons of different characters in the manga and most of them are easily recognizable just with a silouette.
    it best to view the series in an absurdist view. people with weird qiurks going to weird islands and having wacky adventure that turns serious than wacky again. just look at zoro he is guy that uses three sword style 1 in each hand and one in his mouth. he pretty much explains the series. it is wacky and yet serious.

it is also internally consistant and level of detail that Oda goes through with manga is surprising. a charcter is just shown a little in a flash back in book 4. he then appear prominantly in book 56. wanted poster in east blue showed the next few villans without you knowing it. he even has all the commander's names in white beard's crew.

devil fruit powers are explained perfectly and fit with in the series existing physics. luffy is rubber man. all his attacks are consistant with a use of his stretching power from the basic gum gum pistol to gear 2. there are no ass pull techniques that thrown around in this series.

the narrative is also very good. you get a good backstory for all the characters and their motivations. I still mist up going through the arlong arc. or for Vivi in alabasta arc. (Btw favorite villian crocodile).

i also like that luffy breaks the shonen tradition of having the most hax ability or that he is the strongest in the world. no demon fox no hollow mask bankai. rubber is probably some where in the middle with the bomb fruit and the wax fruit.

24. - Top - End - #24

Ahh, i did not count Hina because she seems to pretty high in rank, and not the type who would suddenly serve under Smoker.

And i kinda think Jango and Fullbody is a bit to weak.
    Ah, but Hina is a Captain, while Smoker is a Commodore, so he is a higher rank than her.

I can't wait to see more of Smoker, as he's my favorite character.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post
    Ah, but Hina is a Captain, while Smoker is a Commodore, so he is a higher rank than her.

I can't wait to see more of Smoker, as he's my favorite character.
    He could of advanced over the time skip

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The fact that it's publshed in JUMP means it's big, just being their. Also, the characters. Oda has a cast of 100's all of them are unique, and all of them are likeable. He brings back the ones that are interesting in new and inventive ways.
    To say that One Piece is big in Japan is to say that the ocean is slightly damp. There is nothing bigger than One Piece. Nothing. This year alone, 20 million volumes of the manga were sold.
    Last edited by Rogue 7; 2010-09-01 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    To say that One Piece is big in Japan is to say that the ocean is slightly damp. There is nothing bigger than One Piece. Nothing. This year alone, 20 million volumes of the manga were sold.
    I know I wasn't scratching the surface, but Naruto and BLEACH are hot competition.

28. - Top - End - #28

True, I realised that sounded a bit out of theme just after, and changed it to "demon instrument". Whether that's an instrument that's been fed a Devil Fruit (like Mr.4's gun) or an actual demonic instrument (like Zoro's swords).

However, there certainly are things that can't easily be classed as science. Zoro's swords, Balloon from romance Dawn 2, even the Devil Fruits themselves. For the most part, I think One Piece works similarly to Exalted - everything is magic, which makes all magic quantifiable like science. They don't have to be one or the other. If you can come up with a realistic explanation for Den Den Mushi, Devil Fruits, Cursed Swords, super-Hypnosis, Haki, Rokushiki, Life Return, or a dozen other things that doesn't use the phrase "and then some magic happens", I will applaud.
    Explain to me the Force. Just saying, it's not magic. It's not a fantasy story. It is sci fantasy. There is a differences.

Maybe they follow different physical laws?

-Voltaire

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I wasn't scratching the surface, but Naruto and BLEACH are hot competition.
    No, really, they're not. I just spent three months there studying abroad. You have to go looking for Naruto and Bleach swag, but you trip over One Piece stuff. Salarymen my friends were drinking with insisted that they read One Piece. One Piece is used to advertise a whole bunch of things- the weirdest I saw was, I think, for some travel agency plastered all over the trains. That same place I saw One Piece selling 20 million had Naruto, the next biggest, selling 5 million. Still a lot, but 4x less.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    No, really, they're not. I just spent three months there studying abroad. You have to go looking for Naruto and Bleach swag, but you trip over One Piece stuff. Salarymen my friends were drinking with insisted that they read One Piece. One Piece is used to advertise a whole bunch of things- the weirdest I saw was, I think, for some travel agency plastered all over the trains. That same place I saw One Piece selling 20 million had Naruto, the next biggest, selling 5 million. Still a lot, but 4x less.
    I saw more Naruto then One Piece in Japan, but whatever (and more Death Note then Naruto, but whatever). Anyway, my point was htat being in JUMP automatically makes you a hit.