New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CorrTerek View Post
    That's not a fish thing, that's a mermaid thing.
    I know, but she does have a fish-type. Neptune did. He's like a Great Shark or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I know, but she does have a fish-type. Neptune did. He's like a Great Shark or something.
    She's a smelt-whiting type, apparently. Though I don't think that has anything to do with her size...I was under the impression that smelts and whitings were smaller fish.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wonder if she was born that big (woe to her mother if that's the case) or she just had one of those insane 'Grand Line' growth spurts. Or maybe her mama was a giant...?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    I wonder if she was born that big (woe to her mother if that's the case) or she just had one of those insane 'Grand Line' growth spurts. Or maybe her mama was a giant...?
    Neptune's that big, (I think.) so his wife should be pretty darn big too. And presumably, she wasn't, you know, born that size.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

New chap and Oda keeps it coming.
    The introduction confused me a bit, was actually about to believe the guy with his 'forced marriage' lecture. Would have been an interesting plot but I guess it works either way. Seems giant beauty gets a major part in the plot (new crewmember ftw ;) ) and TargetTarget fruit is... uh... well, guess it's pretty useful if you know what you're doing.
    Also OMG LOOK AT HOW BADASS USOPP LOOKS! Sorry, but... it just totally caught me off guard. Forgot how much they have developed. It's nice watching them kick ass. (Also, shame on anyone who honestly thought they had been able to capture Zoro)
    Finally: The evil alliance is forged, muahahaha.

Can't wait for the next chapter.
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-02-04 at 12:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, to give them some credit, they did capture him. They just failed to keep him down...
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think "brought him to a jail cell where he sat around until he got bored" counts as a capture...

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Nre chap and Oda keeps it coming.
    The introduction confused me a bit, was actually about to believe the guy with his 'forced marriage' lecture. Would have been an interesting plot but I guess it works either way. Seems giant beauty gets a major part in the plot (new crewmember ftw ;) )
    Well, given how sheltered she's been, she'd need some serious levelling in badass first. Though a giant crewmember would be fitting as a counterpart to Blackbeard's pirates (my money's still on Laboon, however).

I can totally see her falling for Luffy, though. Imagine that, the two most beautiful women in the world falling for him. Sanji will like that

And yay for Straw Hat badassitude! Good to see Oda slowly showing how much more powerful they've become.

Also, a fishman who ate a devil fruit? I think that's a first. Certainly an unorthodox choice, he's much more inconvenienced by it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    I don't think "brought him to a jail cell where he sat around until he got bored" counts as a capture...
    I think he probably just fell asleep, then was placed in a cell. Then he woke up...

That shot is the first time I see how large Neptune actually is. Wow. He's enormous. At the very least the size of a giant.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Well, given how sheltered she's been, she'd need some serious levelling in badass first. Though a giant crewmember would be fitting as a counterpart to Blackbeard's pirates (my money's still on Laboon, however).
    I was not really serious there. Not that I'd mind but still. And yeah, being a giant with the strenth of probably a few dozen people doesn't really cut it if you are going for Straw Hat material. Maybe she has some special ability? Nah, I don't know. We'll see.

Also, a fishman who ate a devil fruit? I think that's a first. Certainly an unorthodox choice, he's much more inconvenienced by it after all.
    Hu, didn't think of that... maybe it works differently for them? If not, living underwater surely is a pretty bad idea, especially on a ship which keeps moving around.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice to see the pace pick up again, things are getting interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hu, didn't think of that... maybe it works differently for them? If not, living underwater surely is a pretty bad idea, especially on a ship which keeps moving around.
    I don't think so, since he was in a bubble. Do you think he still can breathe underwater? Also, what could have been the glove's purpose?

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

(my money's still on Laboon, however).
    Laboon? As in the Animal with NO super-powers? I doubt it. Chopper's already practically the Crew's pet. I'm still hoping fo Ha-chan myself.

12. - Top - End - #342

Laboon? As in the Animal with NO super-powers? I doubt it. Chopper's already practically the Crew's pet. I'm still hoping fo Ha-chan myself.
    Laboon, as in an absurdly gigantic mega-whale, by definition has way superhuman strength because of his sheer size. His PUPIL was bigger than the Going Merry. In fact, even with all the sea kings around, I'm not sure if we've ever seen any creature bigger than Laboon. Anywhere. He would be a great match size-wise for San Juan Wolf (though we'd really have to see them next to each other to see who's bigger, Oda's consistency about Wolf's size is somewhere below his consistency concerning Nami's breasts...), and it would be a great closure to his own backstory (he was too young and vulnerable to go out with Brook and the Rumbar Pirates, so if he finally got to see the New World along with the Straw Hats and Brook, that would likely fulfill his own dream). The main problem with Laboon is how he would get to the Straw Hats. But he definitely has the power to go along with them.

Hachan? Don't see it happening. Does not fit. Lacks the strength. We already have two swordsmen. Besides, he's already living his dream of running a successful fried octopus stand. The Straw Hats need people still longing to fulfill their dream.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    I don't think so, since he was in a bubble. Do you think he still can breathe underwater? Also, what could have been the glove's purpose?
    Another forum I frequent thinks that Dekken's fruit power only works on things he's touched, and may in fact be a "one target at a time" sort of thing. If that's true, he wouldn't want to accidently switch targets to Hodi Jones, thus the glove.

Of course, that's just one theory.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Laboon, as in an absurdly gigantic mega-whale, by definition has way superhuman strength because of his sheer size. His PUPIL was bigger than the Going Merry. In fact, even with all the sea kings around, I'm not sure if we've ever seen any creature bigger than Laboon. Anywhere. He would be a great match size-wise for San Juan Wolf (though we'd really have to see them next to each other to see who's bigger, Oda's consistency about Wolf's size is somewhere below his consistency concerning Nami's breasts...), and it would be a great closure to his own backstory (he was too young and vulnerable to go out with Brook and the Rumbar Pirates, so if he finally got to see the New World along with the Straw Hats and Brook, that would likely fulfill his own dream). The main problem with Laboon is how he would get to the Straw Hats. But he definitely has the power to go along with them.
    Yeah, but who would he actually fight? Oda would need to give all crews from now on stupid pets to fight Laboon when it comes to the final show down bits of the arc.

Hachan? Don't see it happening. Does not fit. Lacks the strength. We already have two swordsmen. Besides, he's already living his dream of running a successful fried octopus stand. The Straw Hats need people still longing to fulfill their dream.
    Didn't say it was a realistic hope.

I do think they'll get a Fishman though.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-02-06 at 06:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

I would say that so far Jimbei is the most realistic fishman to join the crew, he is about the same power level, and he has some reason to join them.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I would say that so far Jimbei is the most realistic fishman to join the crew, he is about the same power level, and he has some reason to join them.
    A few things of note:

#1 If Jimbei would be that prone to join another crew, wouldn't he have been a Whitebeard pirate already? There's no denying that he was so close to them that he was practically a crewmate in ways.

#2 What exactly would his reasons be? He gets along just great with Luffy, but his vow to protect him ended with the marineford arc, I don't exactly see any other reason that couldn't apply to many of the other friends Luffy made over the years.

#3 Obviously there's always a chance it'll be revealed later, but every straw hat has a big dream of some sort, right? Jimbei doesn't seem to have what I'd consider the straw-hat- type of dream based personality.

Obviously it'll be very difficult to predict what will happen after the timeskip, because everything we've seen since the end of thriller Bark has just been unprecedented in One Piece.

Still, a lot of people expected every single Marineford/ID character to join the crew at some point (buggy, croc, jimbei, mr.2, boa hancock, mr.3 etc etc); The only real reason Jimbei would still be considered "likely" is the fact that he's the only one not officially left in the strawhat's wake.

But that alone really doesn't seem like a solid reason at all.

Of course, time might prove me wrong, but I don't see any reason to claim he'd be the most likely fishman.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

But that alone really doesn't seem like a solid reason at all.

Of course, time might prove me wrong, but I don't see any reason to claim he'd be the most likely fishman.
    I made that claim because it is the most logical.

To start with, if you list all the fishmen seen so far with the power level to fight side by side with the straw-hats, then it will be a very short list indeed.

Then, if you remove from that list those fishmen who have stronger obligations to do something else, like King Neptune, and those who are moraly to corrupt to be acceptet by the straw-hats. then the only name left on the list would be Jimbei.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I made that claim because it is the most logical.

To start with, if you list all the fishmen seen so far with the power level to fight side by side with the straw-hats, then it will be a very short list indeed.

Then, if you remove from that list those fishmen who have stronger obligations to do something else, like King Neptune, and those who are moraly to corrupt to be acceptet by the straw-hats. then the only name left on the list would be Jimbei.
    Well yah, certain characters would be completely excluded, though I'd shorten this list to only those who have a morality questionable enough to just be entirely off-limit (Which would be the Hodi Jones and VandenDecker and most likely their servants, taken they don't get unexpected character development);

Although I don't find it likely, I don't necessarily want to entirely exclude characters like Neptune cause, although I do not at all think he'll be a new nakama, I have seen no clear evidence that he will have to stick around by necessity.

He'd be a weird addition, so I feel fine excluding him, but Oda's done crazier stuff in the past.

------------------------------------------------------------------

A big reason I find Jimbei unlikely is the fact that we've seen so much of him that if he'd have real strawhat potential, we would've had some sort of strong suggestion of it, I don't see any real reason for him to join other than him and Luffy getting along, the power stuff seems fairly incidental. (aside from Buggy, almost every guy from ID was shown as fairly on-par with the others)

You can call me crazy here, of course, but there's quite a few characters in this arc who we know very very little about or who we haven't seen in an actual fight yet.

For almost all strawhats their actual show of skill came much much later in the arc they represented, so any situation where we have barely any information can, in my opinion, be considered "more likely" than a character we have potentially damning information about.

To cite a very specific example: Aside from her absurd size (which isn't necessarily a negative thing, considering the straw hats are meant to mirror the blackbeards); why would the mermaid princess be excluded from the list by necessity? Her dialogue (interest in worldly things like the sun, trees etc) reveals potential for a dream of sorts and we don't have any real evidence that she'd be entirely incapable of fighting on a level that's at least similar to the straw hats.

Remember, her brothers and father all seem pretty potent at fighting, and she's the 2nd biggest ouf of that entire family.

Does this mean she's gonna be the next straw hat? I don't really expect it, but I see more signs that feel similar to a regular straw hat joining than anything we've seen with Jimbei.

Truth to be told, I think we're much too early into the arc to make any judgement, I could even imagine one or two other characters showing up that we haven't seen before, or some sort of twist that we didn't expect changing the way we look at characters.

On that note, I can't wait for this week's chapter, It's really fun to have some classic One Piece again.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

The main reason i exclude both Neptune and the princess isnt power or morale, because its not like they wouldnt both fit into the crew, but the obligations both of them have towards their kingdom.

Duty has been a strong theme before, like when Vivi left the crew because of her kingdom, and thats why i dont think any member of the royal family will join the SHP.

AT the same time, Jimbei is one of the few people we know is around the nececary power level to be a part of the crew, and he suddenly has a strong motivation to team up with Luffy, since there is a very good chance (in his eyes, we know its 99% sure) that he will clash with blackbeard.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

So... new chap. Pretty decent. Four Straw Hats take out a whole palace of soldiers in the New World. Chopper has a weird new form, or is it just me? Sanji is ready to give his life to see the Mermaid princess. (Unless Brook... 'gets in first'... O~kay)
    Messages from Jinbei. New attack strategy: THrow your soldiers into the enemy headquarter?! Or not?
    Finally: The giant princess gets herself swallowed by her giant shark friend to escape... Oda's final words summarize it quite nicely, 'Are you kidding?' But in a rather good way. (OP is allowed to be ridiculous)

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

The princess is almost guranteed a crew membership pass. She has a dream, and judging by what Jinbei's words are it isn't an easy one.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

This arc is turning out to be ridiculously awesome and hilarious. I think we all needed that after Marineford.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    The princess is almost guranteed a crew membership pass. She has a dream, and judging by what Jinbei's words are it isn't an easy one.
    Another Princess in their crew? Great. And nah, they need to go to the Palace to go meet Jinbei anyway.

And does Chopper have a new form? The Hell.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-02-11 at 10:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Banned

And does Chopper have a new form? The Hell.
    Yeah the Kung Fu point.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

i am looking forward to see Sanji meeting the princess myself now, since we havent milked the situation enough

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Yeah the Kung Fu point.
    When was that learned?

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

There was a 2 year time jump between marinford and here...

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    There was a 2 year time jump between marinford and here...
    Think he was talking about the name of it, not the fact that Chopper could do it.

I think...

I'm wondering how long his particular arc will be. I don't think it'll be as long as Water 7 or Marinefold... but then, Oda does turn out some long arcs. I'm just wondering if Mermaid Isle will be long or short. I hope short, because I don't want Luffy to wreck the place if that vision was true.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Think he was talking about the name of it, not the fact that Chopper could do it.

I think...
    This.

I'm wondering how long his particular arc will be. I don't think it'll be as long as Water 7 or Marinefold... but then, Oda does turn out some long arcs. I'm just wondering if Mermaid Isle will be long or short. I hope short, because I don't want Luffy to wreck the place if that vision was true.
    Who knows. I'm thinking sort of long. At least Albasta length.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Banned

When was that learned?
    Newest chapter, Page nine, last panel.