New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

So we are getting to the end... Not really much happening but setup for the next week. (Okay, stuff was happening but nothing we couldn't really expect)
    I feel a bit sad for Otohime, though.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can't wait for this arc to end. Theres so many characters I want to see now post-timeskip and fishman land really isn't doing it for me.
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

3. - Top - End - #423
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

you know the next chapter is just going to be horrific.
    the celestial dragons(tenryubito).... and you know otohime is gonna die. please oda be gentle with her death. I don't need more reason to hate the Celestial dragons (tenryubito) to death and my heart would break if her idealism is cruely destroyed.

4. - Top - End - #424

Quote Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
    you know the next chapter is just going to be horrific.
    the celestial dragons(tenryubito).... and you know otohime is gonna die. please oda be gentle with her death. I don't need more reason to hate the Celestial dragons (tenryubito) to death and my heart would break if her idealism is cruely destroyed.
    This is a One Piece flashback. Isn't everyone already bracing for the inevitable brutal tear-jerker in which horrendous injustice is perpetrated against the family and loved ones of a major character?

Which also adds a nice +1 to the princess as a Straw Hat theory, although I'm not sold on it.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    This is a One Piece flashback. Isn't everyone already bracing for the inevitable brutal tear-jerker in which horrendous injustice is perpetrated against the family and loved ones of a major character?
    Heck, Tai died, wasn't that enough!?

Which also adds a nice +1 to the princess as a Straw Hat theory, although I'm not sold on it.
    I wont be sold till it's happening. She cant do anything, and taking her anywhere would be a giant (no pun intended) pain. I'm still hoping on Ha-chan, though I know that wont happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, don't get me wrong, but I sart to effing hate Oda...

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not that the arc is so bad but he keeps dragging it out for soooo long. Urgh, I'm sorry Otohime, but I really wish you had died and the flashback would be over so we could continue with... important stuff. Instead off 'Don't kill the person who might as well be the biggest ass this world has ever known'. Seriously, there and then I'm not sure whether I had just kicked him until he was dead. Well, at least Oda still knows how to influence us, unless we were supposed to like that guy. But Oda never really failed at such things.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

To be frank, I'm really disliking this arc. I just don't feel like we're learning anything important. I don't care about any of the characters whose backgrounds are being explored.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    To be frank, I'm really disliking this arc. I just don't feel like we're learning anything important. I don't care about any of the characters whose backgrounds are being explored.
    Well, last chap gave slight hints concerning Shiyatoshi possibly joining the Straw Hats or at least about her relation to Van Der Decken and overall it's not terrible but that flashback feels so dragged out *insert appropriate curse*

9. - Top - End - #429

I must admit I'm surprised that Queen made it back in one piece.. er intact from going top side to meet the Government boys.

I'm thinking Vander Decken had a hand in Otohime's death.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

10. - Top - End - #430

I wonder how the average citizen would feel knowing that the pirates the marines keep them safe from are more intelligent and morally upright than the world nobles the marines invest a disproportionate amount of effort into protecting so that they don't just Stupid themselves to death in accordance with natural selection.

I have never seen characters so clearly too dumb and selfish to possibly live without powerful people saving their asses when people refuse to stand for their obscene behavior, and on top of it all, it turns out they're ungrateful wretches, too.

Seriously, that Tenryubito was such a Darwin Award candidate that it would've been a lot more satisfying to just watch him get pumped full of lead, unfortunate implications or not. It really says something for Oda's writing that he's able to universally make the World Nobles some of the most detestable, stupid monsters in fiction. Still, as interesting as it is to see human beings so pampered and selfish basic logic and empathy are alien to them, it gets grating that only once has any of them gotten any comeuppance, and that was Luffy's punch in the face. I hope something horrible happens to the entire class soon.

Still, I was interested to see Shiraboshi does in fact have a unique talent, which is the reason Vander Decken's after her so obsessively. I was thinking maybe he just liked 'em big. I get the feeling the flashback's almost over, though.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

To me, this feels like perhaps the deepest arc One Piece has had... pretty much ever. I very much like the setting building Oda's doing here. We're getting to see a very vivid picture of the world's history, and I'm glad of it.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

yes, i have been sick of the current flashback arc for a while now, we dont really care about most of the people in it, and we have a pirate crew we care a lot about, and that we hasnt really seen for a very very long time.

Seriously, that Tenryubito was such a Darwin Award candidate that it would've been a lot more satisfying to just watch him get pumped full of lead, unfortunate implications or not. It really says something for Oda's writing that he's able to universally make the World Nobles some of the most detestable, stupid monsters in fiction. Still, as interesting as it is to see human beings so pampered and selfish basic logic and empathy are alien to them, it gets grating that only once has any of them gotten any comeuppance, and that was Luffy's punch in the face. I hope something horrible happens to the entire class soon.
    Indeed, i gotta say, i do wonder why Dragon is letting them live, if i was leader of the world revolution i would have had them assasinated years ago.

Actualy, i do wonder why that hasnt been happening a lot more, a singel man with nothing more to lose, and a pistol is all it would take to make the world a much better placer.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Um... we can discuss the Anime here, right?

Because I'm about to commit a cardinal sin...

I think I liked the 4Kids English dub better than the Funimation one.

Oh, wait a minute...

Sub purists? Please leave me alone. This is an action oriented show. I don't want to have to stare at subtitles when people are kicking ass. Thank you.

Not the dub in and of itself, but I think that the 4Kids dub did some things right. I had no complaints about the funimation Dub until the arc that they meet Sanji. I like Deep-voiced Brooklyn Accent Sanji over the other guy. As well as Zeff calling him "String Bean" as a pet name. And I don't want to start on Krieg and Ghin's voices. If not for the digitally erased blood, poison suction cups, Sanji's lollipop, the opening theme rap and constant spouting of puns, the 4Kids dub would have been pretty decent.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Sub purists? Please leave me alone. This is an action oriented show. I don't want to have to stare at subtitles when people are kicking ass. Thank you.
    I really don't understand this, it takes a fraction of a second to scan and comprehend a subtitle, especially in a kids show like One Piece. Are there people whose reading skills are so atrophied that they can't take in simple sentences without actually concentrating on them?

Really, if you're having to stop to read subtitles then read more, because it's really not that hard to process subtitles alongside the rest of the action on screen.

15. - Top - End - #435

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Indeed, i gotta say, i do wonder why Dragon is letting them live, if i was leader of the world revolution i would have had them assasinated years ago.
    Relevance?

Beyond the Gorousei, the Tenryuubito don't actually seem to do anything. Striking at them would be a purely symbolic gesture and when someone did so (Fisher Tiger) it didn't really seem to matter much to the outside world.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I really don't understand this, it takes a fraction of a second to scan and comprehend a subtitle, especially in a kids show like One Piece. Are there people whose reading skills are so atrophied that they can't take in simple sentences without actually concentrating on them?

Really, if you're having to stop to read subtitles then read more, because it's really not that hard to process subtitles alongside the rest of the action on screen.
    It's the opposite problem actually. Whenever the subtitles are on the screen, my eyes are automatically drawn to them, and I can't focus on what's actually going on.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Banned

I have a better than collage grade reading level, I can read an entire paragraph before someone speaking has a chance to get a sentence of summary out. And I still have trouble keeping up with the action on subbed anime. Subtitles are that distracting.

18. - Top - End - #438

Relevance?

Beyond the Gorousei, the Tenryuubito don't actually seem to do anything. Striking at them would be a purely symbolic gesture and when someone did so (Fisher Tiger) it didn't really seem to matter much to the outside world.
    Given the insane lengths the World Government's willing to go to to protect the bloated swine, they're probably quite useful as strategic pieces to Dragon.

He can basically deliver some karma to them and pull Admirals off of much more important duties any time he wants, and it's perfect for setting up to trap and kill an Admiral.

When the enemy is willing--nay, obligated--to send their best men to save a bunch of useless creeps, they have left a gaping hole in their strategy that their enemies ought to exploit for all it's worth. Think the Government would be stupid enough to send TWO admirals into a trap to try and save a noble? More? How dedicated are they to protecting the lumpy buggers?

19. - Top - End - #439

Flumph

He can basically deliver some karma to them and pull Admirals off of much more important duties any time he wants, and it's perfect for setting up to trap and kill an Admiral.
    If only killing the Admirals were that easy, eh? Just knowing that an Admiral will turn up at a particular place isn't really sufficient unless you've also got a plan to do something about that (and planning for a specific admiral might not work if the wrong one shows up). No-one we know of in the Revolutionary Army barring possibly Dragon himself has a chance at standing up to the Admirals.

20. - Top - End - #440

If only killing the Admirals were that easy, eh? Just knowing that an Admiral will turn up at a particular place isn't really sufficient unless you've also got a plan to do something about that (and planning for a specific admiral might not work if the wrong one shows up). No-one we know of in the Revolutionary Army barring possibly Dragon himself has a chance at standing up to the Admirals.
    There's ways around that, depending on their size and resources...it's helped that typically it seems the admirals don't generally bring a lot of backup, although they might have some Pacifista to deal with.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I still have to say that my issue with this arc is that it isn't introducing much that is new. And that's the last thing I expected from "fishman island." All this business with the tenryubito (or however it's spelled), we already know they're loathsome. Ugh, I don't know why we're wasting time on all this.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

I have a better than collage grade reading level, I can read an entire paragraph before someone speaking has a chance to get a sentence of summary out. And I still have trouble keeping up with the action on subbed anime. Subtitles are that distracting.
    Practice makes perfect, with a bit of work you can get to the point where you convince yourself you understand japanese, because you read the subtext uncounciously.

Given the insane lengths the World Government's willing to go to to protect the bloated swine, they're probably quite useful as strategic pieces to Dragon.

When the enemy is willing--nay, obligated--to send their best men to save a bunch of useless creeps, they have left a gaping hole in their strategy that their enemies ought to exploit for all it's worth. Think the Government would be stupid enough to send TWO admirals into a trap to try and save a noble? More? How dedicated are they to protecting the lumpy buggers?
    Yeah, i can see that, it is a great way to pull a admiral away from an important battle, if you fx kidnap 2-3 of them at the same time, and sail in 3 different directions.

Of course, there is the chance the job of resquing them would be given to CP9 instead.

Well, actualy all you need for a admiral trap is to get your hands on some seastone handcuffs, then you can make a trap that would work on any of the current ones.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, the Princess (Shiba-whatever, I'm not learning it) can control Sea Kings. It's looking more and more like she'll be joining.

Though I'm majorly surprised Queen Otohime didn't die when she was shot.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-05-21 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

24. - Top - End - #444

Flumph

There's ways around that, depending on their size and resources...it's helped that typically it seems the admirals don't generally bring a lot of backup, although they might have some Pacifista to deal with.
    Notice that we've gone from "lone man with nothing to lose" to "significant force infiltrating Mariejois.

25. - Top - End - #445

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well, actualy all you need for a admiral trap is to get your hands on some seastone handcuffs, then you can make a trap that would work on any of the current ones.
    You're missing an important second step. Getting the cuffs on an Admiral. I very much doubt they'll just slip their hands in there on a bet.

26. - Top - End - #446

You're missing an important second step. Getting the cuffs on an Admiral. I very much doubt they'll just slip their hands in there on a bet.
    Well, Smoker has proven that forging Seastone WEAPONS is also entirely possible.

Seastone bullets. It'll be all the rage once somebody figures it out. Turn the Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort on its head by instantly killing Logia users expecting the bullets to harmlessly pass through.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Smoker has proven that forging Seastone WEAPONS is also entirely possible.

Seastone bullets. It'll be all the rage once somebody figures it out. Turn the Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort on its head by instantly killing Logia users expecting the bullets to harmlessly pass through.
    Have to be slow moving or they'd blow through just to have the user recover once it was gone.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Have to be slow moving or they'd blow through just to have the user recover once it was gone.
    That im pretty sure Logia only gives an allmost unbeatable defence, it doesnt offer regeneration as well.

Also, bullets are only the top of the iceberg:
    Grind the seastone up really well, mix it with sugar, and voila, you got a great poison for use against DF users.

Or just throw the dust at the DF user, and beat him up before he can wash it off?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

If my memory serves right, Impel Down had seastone bullets, and even tried to use them against a fruit user. They also had a seastone net.

The problem is, you still have to hit, and hit well. There are characters who can tank bullets even if their powers are turned off. Plus, seastone is expensive, and it seems they need most to go in and out of Grandline. I can understand them not being happy to spend such precious material on munitions.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

30. - Top - End - #450
    Pixie in the Playground

Strategically speaking, if the Tenryuubito are such an obligation, than you don't need to actually fight the Admirals at all. Just make sure they are split up and well away from a target that's actually important. A munitions depot, or a major shipyard, or government bigwigs that actually do stuff immediately come to mind.

Granted, we don't know what the Revolutionaries actually are doing. For all we know, that's been a major modus operandi for the entire war. For all we know, some enlightened Tenryuubito is/are actually in on the whole thing and have been scamming the World Government the whole time. Pure speculation certainly, though, but that's the whole point of discussing things "for all we know" of.

As for the current arc, well, the flashback is a flashback. They were all tragic in their way, but I personally never really got all that interested in them. The primary arc with fishman island however, is pretty-kickass. With any luck, we'll see this "Big Mama" that's now "protecting" the region fairly soon. The real question is what capacity she'll fulfill. Enemy? Ally? Comic Relief? As one of the four most powerful individuals in the known world (or so we are led to believe), she can't just be a bit character like Zeff or whatever.

But then you've got the question of who the big bad for this arc actually even is, if there really will be one. I mean, Hody has already been punked by Zoro with a minimum of effort, so unless he was holding a lot back, it's really hard to take him as any sort of threat. Van der Decken hasn't actually revealed the full extent of his power either, but there's been no indication as of yet that he's any more powerful than a steroid pumped Great White Shark fishman. Sure, we could totally be surprised, this being Oda we are talking about, but it would seem kind of cheap to me if these two are actually supposed to be taken at all seriously. Big Mama certainly is an option, but, well, aside from having her name dropped, she hasn't done anything at all.