New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I get the feeling Chopper's giant form has only gotten bigger, and its certainly bigger than Shirahoshi already.
    Maybe. But not as big as San Juan. You realize he's literally too big to be on any ship when Doryy and Brogy could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Have either of you seen San Juan Wolf? Bigger then Oars Jr. OARS JR.
    I still don't see a viable reason to add a giant character to the Straw Hats.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the way to go is to contrast the Straw Hats versus the Blackbeard Pirates. The Blackbeards seem to be shadowy counterparts to the Strawhats (Luffy to Blackbeard, Shiliew to Zoro, etc).

The mermaid princess doesn't seem to fit against any of the other Blackbeard Pirates. But admittedly the ones released from Impel Down haven't gotten much development yet.

And Luffy hasn't even asked her if she wants to join up, he's usually forthcoming about new crew members except for Robin and Franky. So, time will tell and until then my guesses shall remain so.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvandemon View Post
    Besides, everyone knows that in order to fight huge opponents, Franky (if he hasn't already) will upgrade the Sunny so that it can transform into a giant mecha to battle. It will also be capable of manly combining with the smaller mechas held within the Soldier Dock system, all of which would otherwise be individually piloted. Not even Nico Robin will be exempt from participating in this combination attack.

But seriously, ever since the end of Impel Down, I have wanted Jinbei to join the Straw Hat crew. While my opinion of Shirahoshi joining the crew may be biased because of that fact, I really do not see her as being anything more than a burden at this point. She can't really control her ability to summon Sea Kings yet, and I think that even if she learns to control it, she would want to stay on Fishman Island and use that power to protect her home.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dvan
    demon;11177438
    Ignoring the fact that the Blackbeard Pirates are all corrupted versions of the Straw Hat Crew, I somehow got the idea that Luffy needs a member of each species. Yeah. So nothing cannon.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We've finally gotten to the good stuff people. 628 is out, and the action is here.

7. - Top - End - #487

New chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is looking like Hodi is really the one who killed Otohime. He was the only "witness" to the supposed killer, and the way he was distraught at the death of the queen is very inconsistent with his attitude toward her memory today.

My biggest question is how in the world did Hodi manage to capture Zoro? Although, I like how even Usopp is not taking the fact that they were captured seriously. His Nico Robin impression was priceless.

One way or another, we are going to see Luffy in action soon.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    New chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show

My biggest question is how in the world did Hodi manage to capture Zoro? Although, I like how even Usopp is not taking the fact that they were captured seriously. His Nico Robin impression was priceless.
    Seriously, how did that happen??? Cheaters... well, it'll stop soon one way or another... I almost feel sorry for Hody.
    Otherwise not really much jappening, I guess...

But next time another fight may be waiting for us (thoug I don' think it will happen)
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-06-15 at 06:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489

Zoro and the rest ran out of air. Simple as that.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned

I just want to say that I've always loved the cover's Oda does for chapters. This one, along with the one with Brook and the fashionista dogs are my favorites. Hodi is becoming one of the villains I care enough to despise. Also, did anyone else notice, in the Crew splash page in the beginning, what appears to be a new form for Chopper?

11. - Top - End - #491

I just want to say that I've always loved the cover's Oda does for chapters. This one, along with the one with Brook and the fashionista dogs are my favorites. Hodi is becoming one of the villains I care enough to despise. Also, did anyone else notice, in the Crew splash page in the beginning, what appears to be a new form for Chopper?
    I agree; that cover page is fantastic.

Chopper's form looks like a hybrid of Horn Point (arms and back), and brain point (keeps his normal face). Perhaps Chopper has perfected rumble balls to the point that he can control the best aspects of his forms and combine them together.
    Also, am I the only one who thinks that picture of Chopper looks like Beast Boy from the Teen Titans cartoon.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hodi is becoming one of the villains I care enough to despise.
    Well yeah. Villains are suppose to be hated, no? Though, OP villains do tend to be ... endearing.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Banned

Well I would expect him to get some new tricks, after seeing Kung-Fu Point
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Well yeah. Villains are suppose to be hated, no? Though, OP villains do tend to be ... endearing.
    This is probably the reason why. Obviously villains are supposed to be hated, but a lot of writers tend to make them so "villainous" they're too unreal. Hodi's not entertaining like Xykon though, he seems to have righteous intentions but has turned out a lot like Arlong. I think what I don't like about him is he doesn't seem very wise and is rather self-destructive. The racism hits close to home for me as well.
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-06-21 at 11:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Arlong (especially with revelation of his backstory) and Hodi are good villains, I think, because they aren't "saturday morning cartoon" type antagonists. They're motives and actions stem from reasons that are (unfortunately) relatable to a good portion of ordinary people, and they are just as petty and misguided as you'd expect based on that.

And still, you can kinda see where they're coming from - their point, so to speak. Which makes the whole deal as bitter as it is.

I feel it's the same deal as with Joker - despite ostensibly being "ordinary joe" of the criminal world in a setting where superpowers abound, he's chilling partly because he represents the kind of insanity and crime that could actually happen. In the same vein, Hodi and Arlong, despite their superficial character design as superhumans, represent a kind of evil that could exist, and exists, in real life.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Brook... Seems like a useful ability.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #496

New Chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    We get an explanation of how Fishman Karate works, and interestingly, Jinbei does not need to use haki to hurt Luffy. I wonder if that technique can work on logia users as well.

Suddenly, Robin interrupts the fight with Flower Clone No Jutsu. How many full body clones can she maintain? And, if her showing in chapter 605 is any indication, can she also alter the size of her clones as well?

Brook steals the show with his new ability though.

Edit: Also, Hodi seems to be very short sighted if he honestly believes that some water is all it will take to keep the Straw Hat crew out, especially given the existence of the personal bubble armor.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-06-22 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Banned

I notice One Piece has dropped a couple ranks in popularity.
    With Fishman Karate, you could figure as much, kind of like if Aquaman developed martial arts. Good thing Robin stopped them both before they did something really stupid.

EDIT: How dare Hodi call Zoro conceited D:<
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-06-22 at 06:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498

I notice One Piece has dropped a couple ranks in popularity.
    With Fishman Karate, you could figure as much, kind of like if Aquaman developed martial arts. Good thing Robin stopped them both before they did something really stupid.

EDIT: How dare Hodi call Zoro conceited D:<
    It's not conceit if you're that BADASS.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

New Chapter:
    We get an explanation of how Fishman Karate works, and interestingly, Jinbei does not need to use haki to hurt Luffy. I wonder if that technique can work on logia users as well.
    Only if they have water in that form.
    It will not work on fire form, no reason for it to work on Kizaru, not sure about ice and lava thought.
    One thing is for sure, the person who ate the "water water fruit" is completely screwed against Jinbei

Suddenly, Robin interrupts the fight with Flower Clone No Jutsu. How many full body clones can she maintain? And, if her showing in chapter 605 is any indication, can she also alter the size of her clones as well?
    I was very glad to see that it wasn't just an upgrade of strength.
    Her powers open the door to MANY good uses, and this is certainly one of them.

Brook steals the show with his new ability though.
    No argument here.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Well... I'd think Jinbei's skill might be useful but I don't think it will have any impact on the story after fishman island (could be wrong though) unless Jinbei is going to join the crew. I'm actually starting to consider it.

Robin's new skills... uh... *coughhentaiofoddercough*

Sanji is being useful! To soften the blows... but well, he took the attacks rather easily it seems. I always like to watch Sanji do stupid things.

Brooks new skill is pretty neat though I wonder how useful it would be in battle. Seems to be incorporeal so the best he can do is scare people. (On purpose or not) But it was definitely funny... Hope the guys will get out there and free the palace soon. With Hodigone it's just a matter of seconds. (Why can't Zoro just bend the cage, though?)

Oh, btw who's that new villain guy? Can't recall seeing him earlier. Looked pretty annoying, though. One of Hodi's pals, apparently.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Banned

EDIT:@^: are you talking about the chompy guy? That's Daruma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    It's not conceit if you're that BADASS.
    EXACTLY! Jeez Hordy, get over yourself.

On a completely unrelated note Daruma is now my favorite character. As a child he is so very adorable.

I kind of want to draw fan art of Brook doingthe Jackson lean with his soul coming out.
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-06-23 at 05:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Brooks new skill is pretty neat though I wonder how useful it would be in battle. Seems to be incorporeal so the best he can do is scare people. (On purpose or not) But it was definitely funny... Hope the guys will get out there and free the palace soon. With Hodigone it's just a matter of seconds. (Why can't Zoro just bend the cage, though?)
    The last character in OP that had a similar talent (ghost girl) could create exploding ghosts.
    So I guess this is only the surface of Brook's new talent.
    Who knows what he can do and what he will be able to do?
    Be a poltergeist? Possess people? Get into their bodies and make them stronger?

As for Zoro, his strength increases if he has his sword next to him.
    What, are you waiting for me to explain this?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

Uh, I'm pretty sure Zoro is just planning to cut the bars with the sword. You know, a feat he's had since Alabasta.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Brooks new skill is pretty neat though I wonder how useful it would be in battle. Seems to be incorporeal so the best he can do is scare people.
    I don't see why he has to use it in battle. It could just be one of those passive abilities only for outside of battle. I mean, unless all spirits work like the ones Perona makes what use is making yourself drop dead unable to do any damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    The last character in OP that had a similar talent (ghost girl) could create exploding ghosts.
    So I guess this is only the surface of Brook's new talent.
    Who knows what he can do and what he will be able to do?
    Be a poltergeist? Possess people? Get into their bodies and make them stronger?
    First things first, her name is Perona second, I think his abilities should be closer to the possession kind, since exploding would most likely destroy him. Maybe he could inflict emotions on people?

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Possesion seems likely.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506

Nice, Zoro wounded Hordy so bad he's overusing those drugs his gang has. Wonder what's going to happen next.

27. - Top - End - #507

...I know One Piece has its quirky villains and all that, but the New Fishman Pirates really don't strike me as very hot stuff. This chapter sorta paints the entire group as incompetent bunglers that are only winning because they have steroids and are picking on people that can't fight back.

Hordy tried taking on Zoro and got owned so badly in one move he needs to take steroids constantly just to stay standing...I can't imagine these guys putting up much of a fight against the Straw Hats besides Hordy's implied 'roid rage coming up.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    ...I know One Piece has its quirky villains and all that, but the New Fishman Pirates really don't strike me as very hot stuff. This chapter sorta paints the entire group as incompetent bunglers that are only winning because they have steroids and are picking on people that can't fight back.

Hordy tried taking on Zoro and got owned so badly in one move he needs to take steroids constantly just to stay standing...I can't imagine these guys putting up much of a fight against the Straw Hats besides Hordy's implied 'roid rage coming up.
    Being underwater is a huge advantage to the Fishmen, but my guess is that this arc is mainly to show the new techniques developed in the last two years, and to show that with their strength they are more than ready for the new world.

29. - Top - End - #509

Whoo! New chapter is out.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's nice to see some of the talents of the other major New Fishman Pirates.

Let's see... do the steroids affect Dosun more than other fishman or is that the kind of strength boost always supplied by those pills? If so, just having the advantageous underwater environment and being near Arlong's strength normally would still be enough to make these guys into scary combatants.

Hyouzou as a drunken swordsman makes him a nice foil to Zoro whom I distinctly remember saying in Whiskey Peak that a true swordsman never lets himself be overcome by drunkenness.

Zeo was my favorite so far, though.

And then we have... A Giant sea bear attack! Don't these fishmen (and mermen) know that you can easily protect yourself from a sea bear with an anti-sea bear circle.

Lastly, who wants to speculate on what's gonna happen to Hodi? Personally It's looking like it might lead to a Monster Point style transformation. Well, either that, or it'll just kill him.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #510

Spoiler
    Show
    Hodi could always transform... THEN die.

I don't believe the Straw Hats will be on Mermaid Island for too long, generally the longer story arcs don't show the Big Bad right away.... unless Oda is setting us up.