New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Uhm... abou every second arc showed the Big Bad early-ish... Kuro, Arlong, Mr Three (if we take Little Garden as a seperate mini-arc), Rob Lucci... sure, they don't show their evil all the time but saying Oda's not telling us isn't universally true.

Anyway, new chap. I din't like it much. I guess it was kind of funny but all the sudden swaps of location confused me and just throwing these baddies at us because the Strawhats will need some decent asses to kick... meh.

As for Hodi... uh...
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd love to say he just dies but... I guess he'll grow a bit (or a lot)? Dunno, really, would be weird to change into some other species, except a sea beast, maybe.

Oh, oh, he could become human for some weird reason!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Anyway, new chap. I din't like it much. I guess it was kind of funny but all the sudden swaps of location confused me and just throwing these baddies at us because the Strawhats will need some decent asses to kick... meh.
    I agree, though I think that this chapter will translate better to the anime where we can get a little bit more time at each location and get a better general sense for how fishman island is laid out.

This severe lack of a threatening Big Bad is really throwing everybody for a loop. And I think that this is just the way that Oda likes it.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-06-30 at 01:07 PM.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I don't know...

Van der Decken or Hodi could easily step up to full big-bad status depending on what happens next.

In other news...

Taking bets!

Which Straw Hat will be paired up with which fishman in the coming battle (assuming we're still following that tried and true formula)?

4. - Top - End - #514

Let's see...Assuming super Hodi transformation of DOOM!

Luffy vs. Hodi
    Sanji vs. Van der Decken ("You dare to try and harm a Lady?!")
    Zoro vs. Hyouzou

Usopp vs. Zeo
    Franky vs. Dosun
    Nami and Chopper vs. Daruma
    Robin and Brook vs. Ikaros Much

I can't wait to find out just how wrong I am.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe it's just me but...

Spoiler
    Show
    I doubt the Steroids are gonna kill Hordi. Chances are they'll make him go into a Mega Roid Rage or something. It'd be a bit anticlimactic if he just dies right then and there. He might die near the end of his fight with Luffy or something where his heart blows up or whatever crazy thing those Roids do.

Also I know this is probably late to discuss this, but is it just me or did Shiraihoshi's assassination feel kinda like a set-up?
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

6. - Top - End - #516

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also I know this is probably late to discuss this, but is it just me or did Shiraihoshi's assassination feel kinda like a set-up?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shirahoshi wasn't assassinated; only Queen Otohime.

But seriously:
    I actually mentioned that it seemed like Hodi is the real assassin when the chapter first came out.

This was based on the fact that Hodi was the only witness to the assassination, and that his attitude towards the Queen immediately after her death is completely at odds with his attitude toward her today.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-06-30 at 11:27 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #517

Yeah, I got mixed up with the names. Damn me and my suckiness with names.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it just seemed suspicious how it was just "HEY GUYS I FOUND THE KILLER IT'S TOTALLY A HUMAN WITH A GUN!" which sounds like just part of a villainous plan to sow further resentment for humans.
    Last edited by hanzo66; 2011-06-30 at 01:56 PM.
    In real life that is.

8. - Top - End - #518

Spoiler
    Show
    No reason that Hodi won't 'roid rage for a while, THEN die suddenly. It shaves life for power, so Hodi's life is reduced to a few minutes or so and he gets a lot of power from stacking too many steroids at once. It's like a candle flickering brightest right before it goes out.

9. - Top - End - #519

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, though I would think that he'd go out when it's Dramatically Appropriate. Like when Luffy's on the ground and he's about to finish him off...

"THIS IS FOR ARLONG YOU FILTHY HU-nfewqahgfdjksanfisahfjkdsa <BARF>"

Then again, he might just go out anticlimactically as part of a "Don't rely on drugs for power" kinda message.
    In real life that is.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Banned

Now Hodi's got me on the edge of my seat. They better reveal it next week.

EDIT: I really wish One Piece would jump back up in popularity over at mangareader
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-07-02 at 12:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by Dvandemon View Post
    Now Hodi's got me on the edge of my seat. They better reveal it next week.

EDIT: I really wish One Piece would jump back up in popularity over at mangareader
    Have you ever really, REALLY cared what the other kids thought? Though it is a bummer that One Piece doesn't always get the props it deserves, it's still a quality story.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

12. - Top - End - #522

All this talk about Hodi and the steroids reminded me of the incident of Hero Water in Alabasta. I went on an archive binge just trying to find exactly when it happened.

Rereading the Zoro vs Mr. 1 battle was every bit as awesome as when I saw it for the second time. (first time doesn't count as it was the 4kids version )

Anyway, One Piece may not be the most popular manga outside of Japan, but at least you can take comfort in knowing that those who don't follow One Piece will never know the joy of finding Sniper Island.

Edit: Hint: It's in your heart!
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-07-03 at 09:49 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Have you ever really, REALLY cared what the other kids thought? Though it is a bummer that One Piece doesn't always get the props it deserves, it's still a quality story.
    It's just...I don't do anything unless it's popular =p

But honestly, I'm just being lazy about scrolling to see it still joking

14. - Top - End - #524

Chapter Read.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's pretty cool seeing the princes take down an entire force of Sea Kings with incredible ease, but sadly Mega-Hody is probably going to hold them up until the Straw Hats show up to kick ass and take names. Either that or the New Fishmen Pirates are going down HARD now that they're up against an enemy that doesn't consist of mooks, old men, and civilians, and Vander Decken is going to take center stage.

I liked how the princes called out the New Fishmen Pirates on how weak and pathetic they really are compared to the innocent people they despise so much.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked how the princes called out the New Fishmen Pirates on how weak and pathetic they really are compared to the innocent people they despise so much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really? I didn't. Yeah, Oda has his moments (long moments) of idealistic speeches but in terms of 'who can kick who's ass' strength their victims have nothing against the pirates and however strong their mind may be it doesn't save them from getting slaughtered at all. So... no, I don't like this stuff happening.

Meh... I'm disappointed by new!Hody... But yeah, I don't see any light in the princes' future, to be honest. But maybe I'm wrong.
    Though I guess it was kind of cool for them to show off a bit.

16. - Top - End - #526

Spoiler
    Show
    It could be worse, Hody could've played the Princes like Crocodile did to those guys that drank that forbidden water stuff.

I'd imagine that the pirate guys will trounce the princes then the Strawhats pop up for round 2. As for Luffy, bet he used his gum-gum abilities to sling shot himself toward the place. Or Jinbei tied him up and left him behind.

17. - Top - End - #527

Later than usual for me, but, shiny new chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    Van der Decken continues to be silly. A random thought somewhat unrelated occurred to me though. If there is an artifact that can manipulate a person's age at Ryugu Palace, then doesn't that make Jewelry Bonney's devil fruit ability slightly redundant?

Anyway, Super Hody Transformation! Impressive, in a span of about 4 pages, Hody suddenly became a relevant threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Meh... I'm disappointed by new!Hody...
    But, I really like the new Super [that's Franky's thing] Mega-Hody. He now actually seems to have the strength to back up his earlier threats.

Anyway, with the Princes showing up and beating the sea beasts, maybe we'll get to see the skills of the New Fishman Pirates when up against non-fodder targets. It doesn't look like the Princes defeated the Kraken yet though.

Now where is Luffy? Inside Megalo's mouth, maybe?
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-07-07 at 12:49 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #528
    Banned

The new Hodi looks interesting. His new Water Drop is ludicrous I hope the Princes can at least make a dent.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Here's something for One Piece fans.

I don't normally scour Youtube for AMV's, but there's one particular artist, goes by the username Gia Secando.

Mostly does the major fights in One Piece anime done to bands like Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Heavenly, etc. The editing is pretty good too.

The result is something so epic, I actually prefer watching these AMV's to watching the fight in the anime or the manga.

Watching One Piece has actually gotten me interested in some of these European metal bands (if that's the appropriate genre title) to the point where I organize playlists based off of One Piece arcs.

Gia Secando apparently doesn't post full videos to Youtube anymore, just links to it now, but that doesn't stop a horde of fans from reposting and giving credit to him.

It really is something that One Piece fans should experience.

20. - Top - End - #530

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Later than usual for me, but, shiny new chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    Van der Decken continues to be silly. A random thought somewhat unrelated occurred to me though. If there is an artifact that can manipulate a person's age at Ryugu Palace, then doesn't that make Jewelery Bonney's devil fruit ability slightly redundant?

Anyway, Super Hody Transformation! Impressive, in a span of about 4 pages, Hody suddenly became a relevant threat.

But, I really like the new Super [that's Franky's thing] Mega-Hody. He now actually seems to have the strength to back up his earlier threats.

Anyway, with the Princes showing up and beating the sea beasts, maybe we'll get to see the skills of the New Fishman Pirates when up against non-fodder targets. It doesn't look like the Princes defeated the Kraken yet though.

Now where is Luffy? Inside Megalo's mouth, maybe?
    Presumably Bonney's fruit has more range, usability, and all of that, and she doesn't need a tool to do it. Sort of like how in Naruto, there's a pair of legendary swords charged with lightning to give them incredible cutting power, even though any schmuck with lightning element can do that with an ordinary sword.

21. - Top - End - #531

You're right. After looking into it a bit, the Tamatebako artifact, like the one in the legend it is based on, can only age a person forward. We've seen that Jewelry Bonney can make people younger or older however she wishes.

Wait... I don't think her actual age has been revealed. She could actually be much older or younger than she appeared to be on Sabaody Archipelago.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-07-07 at 12:48 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #532

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    You're right. After looking into it a bit, the Tamatebako artifact, like the one in the legend it is based on, can only age a person forward. We've seen that Jewelry Bonney can make people younger or older however she wishes.

Wait... I don't think her actual age has been revealed. She could actually be much older or younger than she appeared to be on Sabaody Archipelago.
    Mhm. I've heard some people suggest that Bonney's actually closer to Whitebeard's age, or at least old enough to have known him well given how she reacts to him being stabbed.

I personally think she's a little younger than she looks, but that's just me. I do get the feeling she's important, given that she apparently ran away from the government in some capacity and has since been reclaimed.

23. - Top - End - #533

Mhm. I've heard some people suggest that Bonney's actually closer to Whitebeard's age, or at least old enough to have known him well given how she reacts to him being stabbed.

I personally think she's a little younger than she looks, but that's just me. I do get the feeling she's important, given that she apparently ran away from the government in some capacity and has since been reclaimed.
    Wouldn't you want to keep the fountain of youth around?

That does make me wonder if there's a limit to Bonney's powers though.

24. - Top - End - #534

Wouldn't you want to keep the fountain of youth around?

That does make me wonder if there's a limit to Bonney's powers though.
    Come to think of it, everyone in the World Government at a management level is ANCIENT...

I would say "the WG wouldn't do something as petty as make a woman a slave to keep their leaders young", but the WG is EXACTLY that petty.

25. - Top - End - #535

Come to think of it, everyone in the World Government at a management level is ANCIENT...

I would say "the WG wouldn't do something as petty as make a woman a slave to keep their leaders young", but the WG is EXACTLY that petty.
    You're talking about the Tenryubito, those bunch of old guys that are incredibly badass looking, but haven't been seen since their group introduction?

And some of the folks in the WG have feed their slaves Devil Fruits. Just because they could.

26. - Top - End - #536

You're talking about the Tenryubito, those bunch of old guys that are incredibly badass looking, but haven't been seen since their group introduction?

And some of the folks in the WG have feed their slaves Devil Fruits. Just because they could.
    Tenryubito don't actually manage anything; as far as I can tell, their primary purpose in life is to act abhorrent so that Dragon has a good reason to be in rebellion against the government. I'm talking about that group of old guys.

27. - Top - End - #537

It's kinda sad that we can pretty much agree that the Gorosei would pretty much actually be petty enough to enslave a woman to keep themselves young. With the Tenryubito, I really want to believe that they have some elders or something that are actually extremely powerful to justify their important positions.

After all, given that the Void Century likely contains some incredibly dark secrets of the government, Dragon likely doesn't even need the Tenryubito to justify his rebellion.

And that reminds me, Robin mentioned that the Poneglyph on Fishman Island was an apology letter to someone called Joy Boy. Anyone want to speculate on this? My first thought was that perhaps Joy Boy was the original possessor of the "Will of D."

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #538

Tenryubito don't actually manage anything; as far as I can tell, their primary purpose in life is to act abhorrent so that Dragon has a good reason to be in rebellion against the government. I'm talking about that group of old guys.
    Darn it, I forgot the nobles are the Tenryubito... what's that group of old guys called again? >>

Gorosei, should probably read before posting. Bad habit of mine. Though, I'm wondering which of the Supernovas the Strawhats will run into first again? My money is on the gangster pirate. Because he's a gangster that's a pirate!
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2011-07-08 at 12:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #539

Before I talk about the new chapter, I might as well put in my prediction for which Supernova the Straw Hats will run into first. I think they will see X Drake first and the encounter will lead to the confrontation with Kaidou. (yes, I think that he has allied with Kaido) I don't think that most of the other Supernovas will be encountered again until even further into the story because they will reunite near (but not quite at) Raftel just like they reached Sabody Archipelago at the same time.

Anyway, new chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't believe that Shirahoshi actually headed for that...thing that obviously was not Gynocorde Plaza.

And the Princes all lost, and even worse, it happened off-panel. Since it is clear that the New Fishman Pirates are all relying on the steroids to even stand a chance, do you think that they will all have a steroid transformation like Hody? I hope not, since they seem like they could be a threat without some super (still Franky's thing) mega transformation.

I'm starting to wonder if Jinbei actually enjoys spending so much of his time in chains.

What's this? Hody has 100,000 men under his command? The Straw Hats already beat 10,000 at Enies Lobby, what difference will 90,000 more make?

Madame Shirley's prediction continues to raise the question of just how Luffy will destroy Fishman Island, but from the way fish-people trust her, she must have a track record as good as the oracle.

And, Hody finally confesses! Too bad that Shirahoshi (and all us readers) already knew.

Lastly, OH MY JOLLY ROGER! THAT SHIP IS HUGE! I seriously don't think that I can come up with words to describe just how ridiculously large that ship is. Just look at a size comparison of Wadatsumi and the Sunny, and then look at how big that ship is compared to Wadatsumi; and remember, he is in the foreground for that. When Blackbeard said that there was no ship large enough for San Juan Wolf, He was wrong. This ship is big enough to hold San Juan Wolf, and comfortably at that!

Anyway, Oda is sick so no chapter next week.
    Maybe he is suffering from the very deadly "I'll die if I finish this chapter" disease.

One more thing; we still don't know where Luffy is.

Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-07-12 at 09:59 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #540

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, wasn't it obvious. Interesting that Shirahoshi knew.

Now we just wait for Luffy to slap the mans*** out of him. Or let the Roids do it as his heart explodes or something.
    In real life that is.