New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I saw more Naruto then One Piece in Japan, but whatever (and more Death Note then Naruto, but whatever). Anyway, my point was htat being in JUMP automatically makes you a hit.
    Man, I didn't see any Death Note stuff. When were you over there, and what part of Japan were you at?

But your point does stand. And Naruto's certainly more popular over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    Man, I didn't see any Death Note stuff. When were you over there, and what part of Japan were you at?

But your point does stand. And Naruto's certainly more popular over here.
    Tokyo, in June through July of 2008.

Yep. JUMP gets all the big stuff. FMA is the biggest non-JUMP competition as I see it. Anywho, One Piece. Anyone think 3DX2Y will turn into a Shippuden, or will they keep the name the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Tokyo, in June through July of 2008.

Yep. JUMP gets all the big stuff. FMA is the biggest non-JUMP competition as I see it. Anywho, One Piece. Anyone think 3DX2Y will turn into a Shippuden, or will they keep the name the same?
    When did Death Note come out? I had thought it was earlier than that, since that's when you'd expect to see all the swag

Well, that depends, I think. K-On set some sort of record for DVD sales, didn't it? And shows like Gundam have 30+ years behind them. It's tough to judge what's super-popular over in Japan, because there are a lot of different metrics- DVD sales, fans talking about them, figure sales (hell, going by that, Nanoha and Fate/Stay Night are up there).

But I'm rambling. I highly doubt Oda will change the name of the manga, but the Anime might do it. Given that they'll probably do some filler leading up to if not during the timeskip*, they should have time to see where Oda's taking the manga by the time they've got to rebrand the show. If they do change it, One Piece: New World would be my guess.

*Though I'm sure they won't do it the way Naruto did. I actually heard the reason they rebranded post-timeskip Naruto as Shippuden was because they'd lost so many fans with all the filler, and had to signal to them that they were done with the crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

I saw more Naruto then One Piece in Japan, but whatever (and more Death Note then Naruto, but whatever). Anyway, my point was htat being in JUMP automatically makes you a hit.
    Really? Tell that to Double Arts.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    When did Death Note come out? I had thought it was earlier than that, since that's when you'd expect to see all the swag

Well, that depends, I think. K-On set some sort of record for DVD sales, didn't it? And shows like Gundam have 30+ years behind them. It's tough to judge what's super-popular over in Japan, because there are a lot of different metrics- DVD sales, fans talking about them, figure sales (hell, going by that, Nanoha and Fate/Stay Night are up there).

But I'm rambling. I highly doubt Oda will change the name of the manga, but the Anime might do it. Given that they'll probably do some filler leading up to if not during the timeskip*, they should have time to see where Oda's taking the manga by the time they've got to rebrand the show. If they do change it, One Piece: New World would be my guess.

*Though I'm sure they won't do it the way Naruto did. I actually heard the reason they rebranded post-timeskip Naruto as Shippuden was because they'd lost so many fans with all the filler, and had to signal to them that they were done with the crap.
    True, but I was being specific and didn't say much. I meant more Shonen in the same time frame.

One Piece doesn't do much filler as it is, or a least make up it's own arcs (in the Anime). Anyway your probably right. The Naruto manga didn't change it's name, but for some reason I really want a name change for One Piece. REALLY want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Never heard of it. (Assuming it's non-JUMP) Even if it isn't in JUMP it can still be a competitor, but it'll go through hell to get their.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-09-01 at 08:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Not to side track the thread to much. Double Arts was in Jump but was dropped. The point being being in Jump dosn't always mean your a hit. They drop plenty of manga all the time due to their exacting standards.

On One Piece though, it's easily my favorite manga. Great mythos, great...everything. I mean...really...the whole world is just amazing.
    My Current Works

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not to side track the thread to much. Double Arts was in Jump but was dropped. The point being being in Jump dosn't always mean your a hit. They drop plenty of manga all the time due to their exacting standards.

On One Piece though, it's easily my favorite manga. Great mythos, great...everything. I mean...really...the whole world is just amazing.
    OK. Well, everything that stays in JUMP is a hit due to the afformentioned standards.

And yeah, I wish they developed the countries a little more, but I love everything about it. The (art) style really grows on you.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not sure if they will change the characters as much as they did in Shippuden. The main cast are older than Naruto, so I don't think they will change as much over 2 years. Plus, the characters already have a great appeal, I'm not sure how it will work...
    Thanks for the awesome avatar goes to Djinn_In_Tonic. Thanks!

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    -Voltaire

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ah, the old "are they popular because they're in JUMP or are they in JUMP because they're popular"?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    My bet is on Jinbei dying during the timeskip, or dramatically moments after their reunion. I somehow feel he's doomed to suffer some horrible fate.
    Personally, I think Jinbei is way too keen on saying how he expects/accepts/wishes to die to actually let him. I look forward to him having a long life ahead of him

Other than that, mostly agree with the OP, though the fact that Sanji's food will get even better needs extra pointing out.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I liked every arc except the one with the desert kingdom and crocodile. Ok, so once we actually got to crocodile, things were interesting again, but up until that point it was so emo I just couldn't take it.

I actually stopped reading there, and didn't pick it back up until a friend of mine insisted that it got better.
    Last edited by Thrawn183; 2010-09-02 at 12:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

One Piece is pretty much proof that everything popular isn't terrible, considering it's the best selling manga of all time.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Hard to say something bad about OP, most of the time. What I usually ignore are the flashbacks... I know, they are important for the character development, and some are good, as well, but e.g. Robin's youth? Or Brook's story? (Or most recently Ace&Ruffy) They were just so 'meh' to me. I like OP for the action and the fun, not some horrible childhood stories, sorry.
    Though, I'm looking forward to what will be new after the two year skip.
    Last edited by Kato; 2010-09-02 at 08:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Which brings to mind, for a series with such silly an upbeat exterior, One Piece must have some of the most horrifying pasts ever for some of its characters...
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Honestly, I'm still not done gushing over the fact that Oda deliberately set up the running joke that no one ever died in One Piece (outside of flashbacks), just so he could sucker-punch us way down the line.

Not cool, Oda.

(but really amazing!)
    Last edited by VanBuren; 2010-09-02 at 12:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

The old guy was totally expected, but the hot head dying... that came seriously out of the left field for me.

Also, Luffy's subsequent breakdown must be one of the more realistic ones I've seen in Shounen as a whole.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I liked every arc except the one with the desert kingdom and crocodile. Ok, so once we actually got to crocodile, things were interesting again, but up until that point it was so emo I just couldn't take it.

I actually stopped reading there, and didn't pick it back up until a friend of mine insisted that it got better.
    I don't beleive this. Crocodile is awesome, and the Alabasta arc was a great step in Oda's story telling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's going to be a real pirate again.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

So, OP is on a month long hiatus. I think it'll probably skip right ahead 2 years later without showing the specifics of the training that the SH crew until they unveil they're brand new techniques.

If I had to give OP a single flaw, it would have to be that its build up and pacing can be rather slow (Skypeia, IMHO the worst arc, was way too long), Oda himself has acknowleged this by commenting that he had to cut out parts of the Enies Lobby arc since it was too long (namely a greater expansion of Lucci's past), but I think Oda is improving on that as well, Thriller Bark quickly stepped into high gear, the same can be said for the Sabaody arc, and the Impel Down arc could only be called frenetic in its insane pace.

Not only that, OP isn't as bad with pacing as other series are *coughberserkcoughreborncough*. Although I will admit that the earlier arcs don't match up to the later ones (The Baratie arc being the second worst arc of the series, plus Don Krieg wasn't nearly as awesome as Kuro or Eneru were).

One Piece is good because of how well thought out the plot is. It can be very silly but when it comes down to it, it can be very intelligent and the world is both very consistent and believable. It is unabashedly shonen and takes pride in both the silly and serious aspects of it.

Off topic but,

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who still remembers Double Arts.
    Last edited by Zodiac; 2010-09-02 at 04:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

^

Don Krieg was after Captain Kuro, and was much better (IMO).

Anywho, who thinks that someone will grow a beard? I'm betting on Zoro

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

^

Don Krieg was after Captain Kuro, and was much better (IMO).

Anywho, who thinks that someone will grow a beard? I'm betting on Zoro
    Then he'd look too much like Mihawk. I'm betting on Usopp or Franky. Franky, probably.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post

really? the alabasta arc was one of my favorites. once you hit sandy island. it becomes epic. crocodile is one of the best one piece villians. there is much manipulative bastardy. and some very awesome battles.

Thriller bark and skypeia arcs both bored me. almost left the series slogging through thriller bark. Their main villians just didn't do it for me and the motivations were generic villiany.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seriously? making a super zombie army (with luffy as the crown piece when it was shown that oars Jr was fodder to the marines). and enel saying i am god this islands existance is an eye sore. yeah how much more generic can you get
    then Sabaody went up and bam! then it was epic chapter after chapter till the latest break.

i rank the arcs:
    Sabaody arc
    Marineford arc
    Impel Down arc
    Alabasta arc
    Arlong Arc
    Water 7 arc
    Skypeia Arc
    other East Blue arcs
    Thriller bark arc
    Davy back fight arc

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

One of the reasons I found Ener's god complex interesting was that it was pretty darn well justified. Think of it - the man could control thunder. Build things way ahead of the world's comprehension. He was damn near immortal, and could hear the thoughts of other people.

I'm rooting for him to come back at some point. There are so many interesting directions his development could go to.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

^

I hate it when it's spelled Ener, it sounds so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Then he'd look too much like Mihawk. I'm betting on Usopp or Franky. Franky, probably.
    No he wouldn't he doesn't have the hat. My other guess was Ussop (if someone does).

Can Franky grow a beard?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-09-02 at 04:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Can Franky grow a beard?
    I doubt it. Which is exactly why it would happen.

Think about it.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    I doubt it. Which is exactly why it would happen.

Think about it.
    Well, I admit, in its own freaky way, that makes sense, but that would take away from his already freaky chin.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Whether Franky could grow a beard is irrelevant.

Because he could build one.

From steel wool.

Why am I thinking "invincible afro beard!" right now?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think Ener will come back. He's on the Moon right now... So...

I think one of the overall best arcs is the last one, the Amazon-Impel-Marine Ford one. So much happening so fast.

Water 7 is another favorite of mine. Very cool characters, and finally the rest of the Straw Hats actually got to do something.
    Thanks for the awesome avatar goes to Djinn_In_Tonic. Thanks!

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    -Voltaire

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Erts View Post
    Water 7 is another favorite of mine. Very cool characters, and finally the rest of the Straw Hats actually got to do something.
    I havn't actually gotten past the point when Iceberg's been stabbed. JUMP brought me to Impel down, but I've neglected to fill myself in since a certain site went down. OP Wiki's done a decent job explainng the goings on.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    So, OP is on a month long hiatus. I think it'll probably skip right ahead 2 years later without showing the specifics of the training that the SH crew until they unveil they're brand new techniques.

If I had to give OP a single flaw, it would have to be that its build up and pacing can be rather slow (Skypeia, IMHO the worst arc, was way too long), Oda himself has acknowleged this by commenting that he had to cut out parts of the Enies Lobby arc since it was too long (namely a greater expansion of Lucci's past), but I think Oda is improving on that as well, Thriller Bark quickly stepped into high gear, the same can be said for the Sabaody arc, and the Impel Down arc could only be called frenetic in its insane pace.

Not only that, OP isn't as bad with pacing as other series are *coughberserkcoughreborncough*. Although I will admit that the earlier arcs don't match up to the later ones (The Baratie arc being the second worst arc of the series, plus Don Krieg wasn't nearly as awesome as Kuro or Eneru were).

One Piece is good because of how well thought out the plot is. It can be very silly but when it comes down to it, it can be very intelligent and the world is both very consistent and believable. It is unabashedly shonen and takes pride in both the silly and serious aspects of it.

Off topic but,

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who still remembers Double Arts.
    Double Arts took to long to set up, so it makes sense it was dropped. It was great though, otherwise and really should get a second chance. As for Berserk...the thing updates 2 times a year. It's pacing is because of that fact, nothing else

I aslo thought the Thriller Bark Arc was awful and thought it dragged to long (though I also thought Skypia was pretty crummy to)
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2010-09-02 at 06:46 PM.
    My Current Works

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Erts View Post

Zolo calling Luffy out over Usopp at the end was my favorite bit. I kept sitting there thinking, "Wait, doesn't it kinda invalidate this whole since you're basically giving Luffy an ultimatum?" Favorite arc has to be Impel Down, simply for the pure awesome crazy.

As for the time skip, I think we'll get a chapter or two more of Luffy training, then go right back to them all meeting up. Luffy punches the same Celestial Dragon again, they all go roaring off, come across some bastard crew that needs to be put down, and each whips out some new technique based on what they learned. Its much more the One Piece way. Though Chopper will be taller.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450