New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Spoiler
    Show
    I never knew heroes had it that rough. Sharing their meat? What a world!

"Nothing can stop The Smooze."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Haven't read the chapter yet, will edit for my reactions in a moment but first a comment: Is it bad that when I open up a chapter labeled "100000 vs 10" in OP I think to myself "I feel bad for all those mooks" rather than "Oh geez, how will the strawhats win THIS one?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not surprised that Zoro pretty much echos my opinion of this with "We don't even need to count, it's not like these are elite marines" Luffy can now kill large groups of people with a stern look, good for him, he was easily the most underpowered of the crew . Franky is about to break out some sort of weapon that can turn the tide of battle in their favor even more, at this rate Zoro might as well just sheath his swords and call it a day...
    Last edited by Fjolnir; 2011-08-03 at 02:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

I really hope Vander Decken is tough and puts up a long and spectacular fight but is eventually clearly outclassed by the strawhats. This arc is a return to adventure for the Straw Hats and I want to see just how ridiculously overpowered they are before we head out to darker and more hax seas.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #574

I think Hody will now slowly start to realise just how outmatched he is by Luffy and the Straw Hats.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can totally see him losing it, trying to compete by downing more and more steroids, and eventually overdosing and vegetabling himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Haven't read the chapter yet, will edit for my reactions in a moment but first a comment: Is it bad that when I open up a chapter labeled "100000 vs 10" in OP I think to myself "I feel bad for all those mooks" rather than "Oh geez, how will the strawhats win THIS one?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not surprised that Zoro pretty much echos my opinion of this with "We don't even need to count, it's not like these are elite marines" Luffy can now kill large groups of people with a stern look, good for him, he was easily the most underpowered of the crew . Franky is about to break out some sort of weapon that can turn the tide of battle in their favor even more, at this rate Zoro might as well just sheath his swords and call it a day...
    Yeah, 100.000 mooks are nothing to the Straw Hats. One of my favorite moments in the series was Luffy's extended battle through Enies Lobby, mowing down thousands of mooks all by himself, and now they're all on a whole new level, so of course even more mooks will suffer

Spoiler
    Show
    Haki means Luffy now doesn't even have to bother fighting the weakest of the mooks anymore. So I guess more elite mooks will have to step in for them
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Haki means Luffy now doesn't even have to bother fighting the weakest of the mooks anymore. So I guess more elite mooks will have to step in for them
    I'm looking forward to the point when the new mooks will be called 'Marine admirals' and we will need a few thousand of them for the Strawhats to even bother...

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

New episode is up on One Piece Official.

Watching this ep made me wonder if Oda had seriously considered adding Perona to the crew, or if he was just trying to mess around with all of the people who are constantly speculating on who the tenth will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I really hope Vander Decken is tough and puts up a long and spectacular fight but is eventually clearly outclassed by the strawhats. This arc is a return to adventure for the Straw Hats and I want to see just how ridiculously overpowered they are before we head out to darker and more hax seas.
    I can't really imagine Vander Decken being much of a threat to the Straw Hats physically. He might be a little stronger than Hodi was when they met, but the real variable here is how Vander Decken will (ab)use his devil fruit. I'd imagine that the most obvious thing that he'd try would be to throw an arsenal of small weapons at whomever he battles. Taking advantage of his homing ability, he could ensure that the attacks are coming from all angles.

One unusual idea that I had would be for Vander Decken to take one of those human sized coating bubbles, fill it with water instead of air, and throw it at a devil fruit user. If the bubble isn't popped before it reaches its target, the devil fruit user should slide inside the bubble, and be rendered helpless by the water. (I admit that there is the very real possibility that such a bubble would be too frail to actually survive being thrown, but, I'm just trying to come up with ideas.)

I'm actually pretty curious about how his devil fruit can be used creatively. I just hope that throwing that giant ship wasn't really the absolute best he's capable of. Wait a minute... If we put Vander Decken on the Ark Maxim and flew him to the moon, could he then throw the moon at the Earth?
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

No because he's clearly medium size, therefore cannot qualify for warhulk OR hulking hurler....
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #578

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    No because he's clearly medium size, therefore cannot qualify for warhulk OR hulking hurler....
    Well, we know that Zoro is roughly 6 ft. tall (technically 5'10'') and when he fought Hody, Hody seemed to be at least a foot or two taller than Zoro. We also know that Vander Decken is a full head taller than Hody is, which might be just enough for him to qualify as large. Plus, Decken's a quadruped, which means that he's optimized for Hulking Hurling.

Well, that or his devil fruit grants him a size category and strength score of "yes" for determining what sized objects he can throw.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #579

New episode is up on One Piece Offical.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sanji's continued torture in Kamabakka Kingdom was definitely the best part of this episode.

Since filler before the timeskip is inevitable, here are a few things that I'd like to see in the anime:

1) Some more fleshing out of the Straw Hats timeskip training, in particular, Robin's time with the Revolutionary Army, Franky with Dr. Vegapunk's equipment, and (mostly because it would be hilarious) Sanji being turned into a woman by Ivankov.

2) Animating some more of the cover stories. I think that Eneru's Great Space Mission, in particular, would be an excellent way to put in canon filler.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #580

Well, if they want Elite Mooks, I guess there's always the Kumatrons for the Marines.

That or they do something like Supersoldiers who have artificially-induced Devil Fruit powers or something that they made with Ace's remains or something. Still, One Piece is pretty good at making Hax Characters balance each other out. I dunno, they could even have characters based on some tangential thing. Hell, One Piece is the kind of series that would know how to use the Heart Ring from Captain Planet right (aside from brain washing, they could do something like make the user tap into Hot Blooded strength or something ridiculous).
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Well, so we DO get some action from the other guys. Showing up some new skills to get rid of the mooks, Sanji proves evolution right (or powers as personal safety demands) and we get some cool new mechas. Yay! Well, fishmen pirates... you are screwed so bad you better run right now or you will just suffer.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

And this is what happens when a pirate campaign goes to epic level.

Yeah, the fishies are pretty much screwed. At this point if it was any individual Straw Hat VS all 10,000 fishman troops + the named lieutenants + Hodi + Van der Decken + the various sea beasts, I would still put my money on the Straw Hat sweeping them all with relative ease.

Now I want to play a post time-skip One Piece Unlimited Cruise, but that probably won't happen.

13. - Top - End - #583

New Chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    From cover to end, this chapter is outstanding!

Speaking of the cover page, Wapol has really made a name for himself. Seriously, he's rich enough to buy himself an entire kingdom, and now he can finally be a king... again.

First panel of the chapter, and I have absolutely decided that Zeo is my favorite of the New Fishman Pirates.

The way that Zoro and Sanji are always trying to outdo eachother reminds me of that rivalry between Legolas and Gimli.

Jimbei's bounty is over 400 million!? That's the highest bounty revealed in the entire series! Also, Hodi may have gained incredible strength, but his technique is still pretty weak.

Brook really hasn't had many opportunities to show his skills, but he's got some interesting techniques that he can use with just his music, and that's in addition to his skills as a swordsman.

Zoro, you are scary... and FLIPPIN' AWESOME!

Sanji can use Geppo now! What other awesome techniques is he hiding?

Robin, meanwhile, seems to be about a dozen different fetishes rolled up into one person now.

Franky made a Rhino Bike. This means that he honestly thought that the Sunny being on dry land would be a common enough occurrence that the rhino bike would actually be needed. Still waiting for the Sunny to transform into a mecha now.

Also, somebody needs to edit that image of chopper commanding the tank to say "Drive me closer! I want to hug them with my hooves."

Finally, Hodi gets fed up with losing men by the thousands, and decides to have the Kraken attack the Straw Hats. The same Kraken that already lost to them underwater. Too bad for Hody, that plan backfires because Luffy already tamed the Kraken.

One random thing I noticed: Luffy didn't go to Chibi mode after using third gear last chapter.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

though honestly, who can expect that the hero has already encountered and defeated your ace in the hole?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #585
    Banned

When I read the chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought, "Hooray for Wapol!"
    Zoro is official the Bad Ass of the crew.
    Brook can hypnotize with his music now?
    Sanji...lol, "Oda doesn't know french and neither do we"
    Oh...Robin O.~

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder, did we actually see in this series someone that gets the reward money for pirates?

It seems like the only ones who can catch high caliber pirates are either marines, or other pirates. In both cases no one will get the money.

The only exception I can think of are the bounty hunters from the filler right before thriller bark, but even with them, is there only one known group of strong bounty hunters in the first part of the grand line?

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    The only exception I can think of are the bounty hunters from the filler right before thriller bark, but even with them, is there only one known group of strong bounty hunters in the first part of the grand line?
    Wasn't Baroque involved in pirate hunting? Officially, that is. Also, Zoro used to be a bounty hunter. I can only guess we don't get to see many of them but they are still around. *shrug*

18. - Top - End - #588

I really liked this chapter. It was a pretty good demonstration of what the crew's been learning, displayed with a good tempo and well-driven pacing.

Brooke in particular got pretty freaking epic, since I wasn't really sure what his abilities were going to be like after his life of rock stardom. His new abilities will really help distinguish him from Zoro, but I'm also very happy that he's keeping his sword-cane involved in his fighting style.

It's pretty cool to see Sanji's gone so far towards perfecting his legs, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to use Soru and that leg blade thing CP9 can do at some point, as well. If Sanji didn't consider knives too sacred to use for anything besides preparing food, he'd be an absolute terror with just his legs and two good kitchen knives. As it is, he's settled for just being an absolute badass with his legs. XD

19. - Top - End - #589

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wasn't Baroque involved in pirate hunting? Officially, that is. Also, Zoro used to be a bounty hunter. I can only guess we don't get to see many of them but they are still around. *shrug*
    Yeah, as far as I can remember, Baroque Works is the only canon group that acted as bounty hunters. There's also Yosaku and Johnny, who were bounty hunters with Zoro. Plus, I think that this is also technically part of the job of the Warlords of the Sea, however, it's not clear if they can even collect bounties because they work for the government.

Also, Blackbeard presumably collected Ace's bounty when he turned Ace in. No wonder the government has no problem with issuing high bounties when pretty much anyone who would actually be powerful enough to defeat high caliber pirates wouldn't be able to collect on the bounties anyway.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #590
    Banned

I can't help but wonder what would happen if somehow someone captured and turned in all high-bounty criminals. Would that destroy the world economy?

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    I can't help but wonder what would happen if somehow someone captured and turned in all high-bounty criminals. Would that destroy the world economy?
    Nah... apart from no one being able to do so I'm sure that'd be just a jew billion berri and a berri seems to be of little worth on it's own.

Though, I am watching the OP movies while I have nothing better to do and I just arrived at movie 7. And I'm just five minutes in and... what is up with Nami's breast?! Not the size, I know they kept getting bigger but they start bouncing for no reason. I... don't recall it ever being that obvious before o.o

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Nah... apart from no one being able to do so I'm sure that'd be just a jew billion berri and a berri seems to be of little worth on it's own.

Though, I am watching the OP movies while I have nothing better to do and I just arrived at movie 7. And I'm just five minutes in and... what is up with Nami's breast?! Not the size, I know they kept getting bigger but they start bouncing for no reason. I... don't recall it ever being that obvious before o.o
    It's the animation. Since the movies have a better production quality than the series, they get to spend more time on details like that.

23. - Top - End - #593

Since you mentioned it, I started watching movie 7 to see it for myself, and I actually started laughing because of how ridiculous it was.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    It's the animation. Since the movies have a better production quality than the series, they get to spend more time on details like that.
    Well, there's that. But, there's also the much more important reason for it: Oda's a pervert.

For my evidence, I submit: every SBS section ever.

Edit: Watched episode 511, and it was excellent. The episode was well paced, and the filler added was just to add detail to that event that was only mentioned in the manga.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-08-22 at 10:05 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594

Super Awesome chapter is out:

Spoiler
    Show
    Daruma showcases his absolutely incredible ability to create pitfalls, which Chopper and Franky proceed to fall into. I don't know what's worse: the fact that his only contribution here was to make an easily escapable pitfall, or the fact that those pitfalls were still the most effective thing that any of the New Fishman Pirates have done.

Alright, so we don't quite have a Thousand Sunny Mecha... yet, but we do have IRON PIRATE: FRANKY SHOGUN!!! It has a drill! On its head! (Also of note is the design on it indicating Battle Franky 38. This means that this must have been completed after Franky made those modifications to himself.) I hope the other Soldier Dock vehicles will be capable of combining like this!

Now we know why we revisited Wapol last week; to remind us that Wapol made himself rich by creating a new type of metal. I'd probably even guess that Wapometal is being incorporated into newer Pacifista models, which would explain why Wapol was recognized by the World Government: for creating Wapometal, and not for just being a successful businessman.

Chopper has developed the greatest mastery over a zoan type fruit ever demonstrated so far. No other zoan user has ever shown more than 3 forms and Choppper can now access 6 forms without the rumble ball! I really want to know what monster point looks like now.

"How many have been taken down?!"

"Zero!!"
    For some reason, I just find that really funny; probably because it reminds me of the Area 6 level in Star Fox 64.

Okay Oda, I'm trying really hard to take that panel of Surume starting to crush Shirahoshi innocently, but, darn it, why'd you have to make her be blushing, too?

Looks like I was completely wrong about who would be fighting who of the NFP, but these guys are really nowhere near the strength of any of the Straw Hats.

I find it kinda funny that King Neptune's reaction to that giant ship (I'm still not sure what to call it; Noah, Noir, Noa? I'll probably just go with Noah) coming toward Fishman Island isn't that it'll destroy the island, but that it musn't be moved until the day-whose-explanation-will-be-the-perfect-cliffhanger comes.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the new chapter as well. It's another round of Strawhats kicking ass without even taking names. Of course Franky Shogun looked kind of stupid but... it was still amazing
    Chopper... meh, okay, he looks badass with his new Horn Point (at least looks different from before to me) but being the only Zoan to have more than three forms without any real help... feels kind of cheap. But I'll excuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Okay Oda, I'm trying really hard to take that panel of Surume starting to crush Shirahoshi innocently, but, darn it, why'd you have to make her be blushing, too?
    I'm proud of myself because for once I didn't think of that at this point

As for Noah... uhm... well, I guess they need SOME challenge to the arc, don't they?

26. - Top - End - #596
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Chopper... meh, okay, he looks badass with his new Horn Point (at least looks different from before to me) but being the only Zoan to have more than three forms without any real help... feels kind of cheap. But I'll excuse it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I kinda feel it's excused by Chopper having used SCIENCE to destabilise his forms in the first place.

We surpass the impossible and kick reason in the curb, because that's the way of the Dai Gurren-Dan!
    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Point of order regarding the Zoan users.

Spoiler
    Show

There's one other Zoan user I can think of (off the top of my head) who has more than 3 forms: Lucci. He has the human, full leopard, big leopard-human hybrid, and the lean leopard-human hybrid. Also, you could argue Kaku has several different Zoan forms, though those might be closer to "stances" than actual forms. Still not as much as Chopper, but it's still necessary to mention.

28. - Top - End - #598

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Point of order regarding the Zoan users.

Spoiler
    Show

There's one other Zoan user I can think of (off the top of my head) who has more than 3 forms: Lucci. He has the human, full leopard, big leopard-human hybrid, and the lean leopard-human hybrid. Also, you could argue Kaku has several different Zoan forms, though those might be closer to "stances" than actual forms. Still not as much as Chopper, but it's still necessary to mention.
    However, that extra form was the result of the Kami-e technique Life Return. That fourth from was an extension of his Rokushiki techniques, and not an extension of his Zoan devil fruit powers.

Granted, I did forget that Lucci had demonstrated four separate forms. Good catch on remembering that one.

Also, beware Kaku, and his perfect Zoan mastery! No others have demonstrated the ability to transform into an animal, an animal-hybrid, and (most deadly of them all) a box!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    However, that extra form was the result of the Kami-e technique Life Return. That fourth from was an extension of his Rokushiki techniques, and not an extension of his Zoan devil fruit powers.

Granted, I did forget that Lucci had demonstrated four separate forms. Good catch on remembering that one.

Also, beware Kaku, and his perfect Zoan mastery! No others have demonstrated the ability to transform into an animal, an animal-hybrid, and (most deadly of them all) a box!
    That box will f*** you up though.

Should it really matter that Lucci unlocked his other form through Life Return though? Isn't it still a matter of training and counts just as much as a proof of mastery over his Zoan form? After all, Chopper's alternate forms didn't occur naturally, but as a result of SCIENCE!

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Seriously though, i do kinda think Kaku is the Zoan user who has demonstrated the best control over his own of shape.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar