New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

How to get a strong devil fruit power: Be good at bull**** justifications for your powers that are at best tangentially related to what your power does in its basic form!

We surpass the impossible and kick reason in the curb, because that's the way of the Dai Gurren-Dan!
    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?

2. - Top - End - #602
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbird View Post
    How to get a strong devil fruit power: Be good at bull**** justifications for your powers that are at best tangentially related to what your power does in its basic form!
    But what do you do if your power is to vomit, or to tell unfunny jokes?

I think the Samu Samu no mi would be much easier to get a BS justification for being really powerful: tell jokes so bad, that they can break opponent's fighting spirit!

Also, your sig makes me really want to see a Drill Drill Fruit. It grants the power to turn parts of your body into drills and it grants the ability to pierce any barrier! BS superpower: you can pierce through the barrier of what is actually possible, and possibly, the fourth wall!
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

3. - Top - End - #603
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    But what do you do if your power is to vomit
    ...The ability to expel your emotions as substances? Vomit fear on someone? Maybe? (I dunno)

We surpass the impossible and kick reason in the curb, because that's the way of the Dai Gurren-Dan!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Well... I guess every fruit can be abused with enough imagination. Luffy ddin't get the most powerful fruit by far but he's making the best of it.

On another note, after not having watched the anime for... ever I'm catching up and am kind of amazed what Robin is wearing in her 'Where the Strawhats are' episodes... not that it'd be... not expected of whoever put her in it but still... reminds me of Emma from the X-Men anime adaption.
    Anyway, soon I'll have caught up and apparently they're not far from the manga by now.
    Last edited by Kato; 2011-10-23 at 03:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What was it, 3 months w/o a chapter? That's like, 12 chapter. I hope we don't start getting a lot of filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Bugbear in the Playground

But what do you do if your power is to vomit, or to tell unfunny jokes?
    1. Breath Weapon. AKA IMA FIRIN MY LAZER BLAAAAAAAGGGHHH

2. In 8-Bit Theater, Black Mage killed a boss just by making a bad pun. So something like that? A joke that's so bad the target loses the will to fight. That or Dashing Swordsman.

One Piece is pretty good at making seemingly stupid/pointless powers useful just by how much it pushes the boundaries of said powers. It's all a matter of being creative.
    Last edited by hanzo66; 2011-08-27 at 08:20 PM.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Nothing yet on the new chapter? Okay then...

Spoiler
    Show

So Luffy's going to go off and fight Hodi and Van der Decken on his own on the ship which hopefully has air in it. I guess they needed something that could pose a threat to Luffy in this arc. (Hint: It's not Hodi or Van der Decken)
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the ocean.

Also, Van der Decken's projectiles could be blocked before reaching their target, so theoretically if Luffy somehow "blocks" the ship, then that should solve that little problem. Also, someone needs to give Van der Decken a high-five so the princess can go outside once in awhile.

Speaking of which, I know this is extremely silly and not likely, but I keep getting the impression that Shirahoshi is somehow going to be the next Straw-Hat member, at least of anyone in this arc. Childhood past shown, definitely unique both in powerset and personality, not sure if there's a "position" she could occupy, or even how she would fit on the ship. One idea is that Van der Decken mentioned something about artificially altering her age, and that could maybe somehow change her to human size as well?

I don't know, I'm reaching here a lot.

8. - Top - End - #608

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    What was it, 3 months w/o a chapter? That's like, 12 chapter. I hope we don't start getting a lot of filler.
    It was only a month for the timeskip, but considering how many weeks we've missed since because of sickness Oda's wife demanding breaks, it might add up to three months. As for filler, I'd prefer the anime to do a couple of filler arcs to improve the pacing of the actual story arcs. It's not like they don't have much material to work with for filler. (Seriously, nearly half of each episode during the Marineford war arc was filler)

In related news, the anime is set to start post-timeskip story on Oct 2.

And now, on to the new chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice callback to early One Piece right at the start of the chapter.

The way that Luffy dodged Hody's "Yabusame" attack was really similar to how Zoro dodged those rocks when he fought Mr. 1. This theory has probably been suggested at least a dozen times before but Zoro in Alabasta: first usage of observation Haki in the Straw hat crew?

This looks like an interesting setup for the final battle; Luffy vs. Hody and Van der Decken underwater on the great ship Noah!

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Nothing yet on the new chapter? Okay then...

Spoiler
    Show

Speaking of which, I know this is extremely silly and not likely, but I keep getting the impression that Shirahoshi is somehow going to be the next Straw-Hat member, at least of anyone in this arc. Childhood past shown, definitely unique both in powerset and personality, not sure if there's a "position" she could occupy, or even how she would fit on the ship. One idea is that Van der Decken mentioned something about artificially altering her age, and that could maybe somehow change her to human size as well?

I don't know, I'm reaching here a lot.
    Not to burst your bubble, but:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aren't you forgetting about a certain other fishman, who has also had a tragic past revealed. The one who told Shirahoshi's story to begin with, and was counted among the Straw hats by both Hody and a chapter title.

Then again, I've been hoping for Jinbei to join since he helped Luffy in Impel Down.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-08-31 at 02:01 PM.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #609

Chapter read.

I'm having a lot of fun seeing Hody getting curb-stomped. It's always such fun when Oda builds up these arrogant scumbags and then brings them crashing down in such glorious ways. I'm curious what sort of comeuppance would be massive enough for Akainu, though...

Jinbei does seem to have more to contribute to the crew as a member and a more manageable size if he were to join, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm not sure someone new should join the crew at this point, to be honest, but I'll roll with it if either of them does.

10. - Top - End - #610

Chapter read.

I'm having a lot of fun seeing Hody getting curb-stomped. It's always such fun when Oda builds up these arrogant scumbags and then brings them crashing down in such glorious ways. I'm curious what sort of comeuppance would be massive enough for Akainu, though...

Jinbei does seem to have more to contribute to the crew as a member and a more manageable size if he were to join, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm not sure someone new should join the crew at this point, to be honest, but I'll roll with it if either of them does.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Not to burst your bubble, but:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aren't you forgetting about a certain other fishman, who has also had a tragic past revealed. The one who told Shirahoshi's story to begin with, and was counted among the Straw hats by both Hody and a chapter title.

Then again, I've been hoping for Jinbei to join since he helped Luffy in Impel Down.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not happening IMO. Jimbei's a veteran, not a protagonist. Shirahoshi is young, wants to see the world, and has a lot to prove. Jimbei lived his career already.

Of course I sincerely doubt Shirahoshi as well, and frankly I don't trust myself to predict Oda's plots. He's the one Shounen author left I actually enjoy reading.

At this point, I doubt anyone new will join, but Oda is unpredictable...

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

I'll just spoiler everything ... because I'm lazy.

Spoiler
    Show

[Oda]'s the one Shounen author left I actually enjoy reading.
    Well, imo Hiro is still doing a pretty nice joc, if you never had a look at Fairy Tail.

It's the ocean.
    Am I the only one who had to think of Mako Tsunami when reading that?
    But yeah, water, the mortal nemesis of most Devil Fruit Users... Well, in a high sea campaign that is kind of a problem but still.

It was only a month for the timeskip, but considering how many weeks we've missed since because of sickness Oda's wife demanding breaks, it might add up to three months. As for filler, I'd prefer the anime to do a couple of filler arcs to improve the pacing of the actual story arcs. It's not like they don't have much material to work with for filler. (Seriously, nearly half of each episode during the Marineford war arc was filler)
    I'd just like them to make more episodes for the Crews training... maybe one per person or so. But I guess that won't happen? Filler after this... maybe one, maybe.

The way that Luffy dodged Hody's "Yabusame" attack was really similar to how Zoro dodged those rocks when he fought Mr. 1. This theory has probably been suggested at least a dozen times before but Zoro in Alabasta: first usage of observation Haki in the Straw hat crew?
    They did? Never heard of it. I just took it as skill... Didn't Lucci did something like that as well against Luffy the first time? Was he using Haki? Not that I'd mind another team mate using Haki, not at all.

This looks like an interesting setup for the final battle; Luffy vs. Hody and Van der Decken underwater on the great ship Noah!
    Nah, don't see it happen. I almost got a Heel Face Turn vibe from Hody if only because of his anger against Decken to go up and save the island... both of them teaming up again... dunno.

In the chapter: It was nice. I guess I should have seen Shirahoshi's action coming long ago but I only gig a page or two early. Shame on me.

The debate over a new Strawhat has been going for a while... Even if Jinbei would me more logical for many reasons I see Shirahoshi happening if any of them. She's younger, she had the sad childhood, she is unique, problem is a) the size (which I guess can be fixed) and b) the position. Uh... a noew mean of propulsion?! But yeah... I like Jinbei as a character but as a crew member....

13. - Top - End - #613

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbird View Post
    I had a similar thought on this a couple days ago. I would want the Enter/Exit fruit soooo bad. With proper application of it's powers, you would be unto a God like Enru.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yes, I re-ordered this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Am I the only one who had to think of Mako Tsunami when reading that?
    But yeah, water, the mortal nemesis of most Devil Fruit Users... Well, in a high sea campaign that is kind of a problem but still.
    Actually tried to fit a YGOA Mako Tsunami reference in there, but nothing quite fit.

Well, imo Hiro is still doing a pretty nice joc, if you never had a look at Fairy Tail.
    Fairy Tail's actually my second favorite right now, I just think the author has pacing problems and rushes through the good parts. That and building up really good villains and utterly curb-stomping them. At least Oda's villains are threatening for a good, long while before the climax (current arc nonwithstanding).

EDIT: As far as potential new recruits are concerned, I don't think it'll be anyone from this arc, but I REALLY want the next, potentially final member to be a fishman of some kind with fishman karate.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2011-08-31 at 03:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Well, i have been suggesting it before as well, though i was more basing it on Zorro's Asura tecknique, that he used vs kaku.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #616

Spoiler
    Show
    Not happening IMO. Jimbei's a veteran, not a protagonist. Shirahoshi is young, wants to see the world, and has a lot to prove. Jimbei lived his career already.

Of course I sincerely doubt Shirahoshi as well, and frankly I don't trust myself to predict Oda's plots. He's the one Shounen author left I actually enjoy reading.

At this point, I doubt anyone new will join, but Oda is unpredictable...
    Hmm... Predict the unpredictable? Alright, I got it; the next crewmate will be:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Caribou! See, he fills the gap of the token Belkar of the crew, and Luffy will eventually convert him into joining for real just like Whitebeard got Ace to join his crew. Plus, he's a Logia, so he, by default, has unique skills to lend to the crew.

I'll just spoiler everything ... because I'm lazy.

Spoiler
    Show

They did? Never heard of it. I just took it as skill... Didn't Lucci did something like that as well against Luffy the first time? Was he using Haki? Not that I'd mind another team mate using Haki, not at all.

The time the Lucci dodged Luffy's gatling attack, he was using Kami-e, which functioned similarly to Luffy's Gum Gum idiot. It doesn't grant them any precognitive abilities, just the ability to roll with the punches.

The main reason I suggested Haki for Zoro there though was because of how similar Zoro's "Breath of all things" sounds to Gol D. Roger's "Voice of all things". Of course, they are probably all completely unrelated, and I'm just coming up with random insane theories.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, don't see it happen. I almost got a Heel Face Turn vibe from Hody if only because of his anger against Decken to go up and save the island... both of them teaming up again... dunno.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hody may be angry at Decken for being crazy, but I don't think that he'd turn down an opportunity to double team against Luffy, especially not in an environment that benefits him most. But, this is Hody, and he just might be arrogant enough to think that he could take Luffy alone as long as he's underwater.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-08-31 at 04:54 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe Zoro's "breath of all things" is related to Haki too, specifically Mantra, which is also one of the "colours" as well.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

18. - Top - End - #618
    Banned

My question is does the projectile have to hit with damaging force, or just touch the target?

There are a number of options, kill Decken, guard Shirahoshi or more awesomely, destroy the whole ship into splintery rubble and deflect any debris still flying.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    My question is does the projectile have to hit with damaging force, or just touch the target?

There are a number of options, kill Decken, guard Shirahoshi or more awesomely, destroy the whole ship into splintery rubble and deflect any debris still flying.
    We know the projectile can be blocked. Shirahoshi was kept safe for many years just by staying in a tower where the weapons couldn't reach her.

From what I can tell, the projectile doesn't miraculously maneuver around obstacles, it just goes on the trajectory towards its target until its blocked or otherwise.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Banned

I imagine it would make sense for lighter objects to hit with considerable force, since they already have considerable force to move that fast and far. I'm guessing there's an upper limit to how fast his projectiles go, maybe directly linked to how hard he can throw them. We haven't seen him throw Noah, and it seems to be more of a looming meteor than a direct bullet, so it probably doesn't have that much force behind it.

Also, from the last chapter, I'm wondering how his horns make it easier for Chopper to dig (although I absolutely love the new look).

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

I assume he spins like a drill through the ground using his FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    His are the horns that will pierce the heavens!
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Yadda, yadda, new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

Action in the ocean. Princes to the rescue. Anticlimatic death.

That's about it... Well, that was pretty close for Luffy I guess, too bad for Hodi he's so dumb not to go all out on him...

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Action in the ocean. Princes to the rescue. Anticlimatic death.

That's about it... Well, that was pretty close for Luffy I guess, too bad for Hodi he's so dumb not to go all out on him...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't count him out yet. Flashbacks and Failed Rescue arc aside, people who "die" in One Piece don't tend to stay dead.

Though maybe the Death itself got more competent after the timeskip.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't count him out yet. Flashbacks and Failed Rescue arc aside, people who "die" in One Piece don't tend to stay dead.

Though maybe the Death itself got more competent after the timeskip.
    Well, we did have Ace die on us, something that were proberly the biggest shock/surprise of the entire serie.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

26. - Top - End - #626

Well, read the new chapter, and all I gotta say is that it looks like I was dead wrong about what would happen.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a good thing that mermen were established as the fastest swimmers in the One Piece universe, otherwise the fact that she managed to swim halfway around a ship half the size of Fishman Island in such a short amount of time would just be ridiculous.

I'm wondering what will happen to Noah when Van der Decken dies or at least passes out. Obviously, devil fruit users can't use their powers if they are unconscious, but Van der Decken's power ends after a condition is met and doesn't require any effort on his part. I may have been wrong in my prediction for the last chapter (), but I think that Noah will continue chasing Shirahoshi even if Van der Decken dies.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Technically, couldn't Shirahoshi lightly tap the front of Noah and the condition would be met? It would have "reached" its target.

That or something could always try to block it, like a mountain or Luffy or something.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The ship's gonna fall is my guess. It was shown to be right above fishman island just as Decken died, so... Crash.

29. - Top - End - #629

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    That actually seems possible. If I remember, Zoro is able to speak with a sword with his mouth because of pretty much the exact same reason or something about willpower/heart.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

30. - Top - End - #630

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    That actually seems possible. If I remember, Zoro is able to speak with a sword with his mouth because of pretty much the exact same reason or something about willpower/heart.
    Also, the Marine officer coats that have "Justice" emblazoned never fall off the officer's shoulders despite not being fastened in any way because to them, Justice Never Falls! As long as that feeling stays in their hearts, the coats will never fall either!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show