New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Just a few things I'd like to say about recent chapters:

Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, Van der Decken is still alive. I didn't notice at first, but last chapter, when he first passed out, he lost his footing because the ship was changing course, and he hit his head on an outcropping.

Secondly, that theory of the steroid pills being the true force of evil this arc is both really a longshot and surpirisingly similar to another theory that I really like: The theory that I like is that the steroid pills augment the "fish" part of Fishmen at the cost of their human-like minds. It replaces reason with feral rage, making Hodi more and more shortsighted, but much more powerful to make up for it.

Lastly, I would still find it kind of funny if Caribou actually ends up joining the Straw Hats.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Lastly, I would still find it kind of funny if Caribou actually ends up joining the Straw Hats.
    If it's anybody it's Shirahoshi. Though, I'd be pissed with either of them joining. Here's hoping for Hatchan. (Not gonna' happen, I know. I don't care.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

It'd be kinda funny to have a Token Evil Teammate onboard.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but Caribou is just a bit to evil, his scale might be a bit smaler, but he is up there with the most horrible people of the manga.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah, but Caribou is just a bit to evil, his scale might be a bit smaler, but he is up there with the most horrible people of the manga.
    Err ... What? He's nothing, nothing next to Borsalino or Sakuzuki.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

But he fits right in with bastards like Crocodille, Hodi or the world gouverment.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But he fits right in with bastards like Crocodille, Hodi or the world gouverment.
    I'll give you the World Government, but not Crocodile ... Maybe Hodi, but we really don't know a whole hell of a lot about Hodi yet.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Sakazuki, I'll agree with, but Borsalino? I don't think that we've even seen him lift a finger against anyone that was not already a notorious pirate, aside from his own carelessness with his power. I'd say that's nowhere near as evil as Caribou actively kidnapping mermaids for the sole purpose of selling them into slavery.

But, then when I think about it, an Admiral's responsibility to protect those horrible Celestial Dragons comes with it an implicit acceptance, if not outright support, of the entire slave trade itself!

By the way, I don't really think that Caribou will be the next crew member. I'm mostly joking about that. I'd say that he has a roughly Oda% chance of actually joining.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest... I don't see where the hate for the admirals is coming from Given, they are not nice guys (well, maybe Aokiji, gotta see about that) but the others didn't ever do anything for the evulz or anything like that. They are doing their job even though I guess they are reckless at that, or am I forgetting something?
    The worst in the series yet... definitely the Heavenly Dragons. Worst kind of people, the whole bunch apparently. Enel was quite a jerk, too, though. Or Moria. Or... well, there were quite a few. I forgot his name, the CP 9 boss.

Caribou came up as a pretty evil character as far as we have seen... he just doesn't have the power to follow through with it. I have really no idea where Oda is going with him... But surely not 'new crew mate'. That would be... too weird. I'm still not entirely sure in Shirahoshi about that, though... we'll see.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    To be honest... I don't see where the hate for the admirals is coming from Given, they are not nice guys (well, maybe Aokiji, gotta see about that) but the others didn't ever do anything for the evulz or anything like that. They are doing their job even though I guess they are reckless at that, or am I forgetting something?
    Sakazuki is what put the General Ripper trope on the One Piece TVTropes page.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Sakazuki is what put the General Ripper trope on the One Piece TVTropes page.
    To be honest, he's much more defined to my by the fact the Straw Hats are still alive after they met him before the CP 9 arc. If he was such a monster he could have just erased them, there and then. Given, blasting your own allies is not a nice move by any extent.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Caribou came up as a pretty evil character as far as we have seen... he just doesn't have the power to follow through with it. I have really no idea where Oda is going with him... But surely not 'new crew mate'. That would be... too weird. I'm still not entirely sure in Shirahoshi about that, though... we'll see.
    I'd rather see no one join the crew. I think by some definitions the crew is full. Luffy wants 10 people right?

1: Luffy
    2: Zolo
    3: Nami
    4: Ussop
    5: Sanji
    6: Chopper
    7: Robin
    8: Frank
    9: Brooks
    10: The Going Merry

It's been explicitly stated that the Straw Hats count their ship as a member, and I see no reason why Luffy wouldn't count himself.

13. - Top - End - #673

To be honest, he's much more defined to my by the fact the Straw Hats are still alive after they met him before the CP 9 arc. If he was such a monster he could have just erased them, there and then. Given, blasting your own allies is not a nice move by any extent.
    He's talking about Hot Pants McLavaFisty, not Cool Cat McLazyJustice. Those nicknames are mine, and I freely give permission for them to be used. Sakazaki has only met Luffy briefly and hasn't met the Straw Hats as a group yet. The other two Admirals have, and both times the Straw Hats got crushed.

Edit: Whoops, serves me right for only checking the last post. You forgot about Hot Pants McLavaFisty ordering that evacuation ship sunk from Robin's home island and killing Marines during the Whitebeard War bit. Desertion has been punished by death, but the charged usually get a trail for that...
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2011-10-08 at 02:07 PM.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

I'm talking about Admiral Akainu (or, as TPAM put it, Hot Pants McLavaFisty). Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru are their nicknames, Sakazuki is Akainu's name.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-10-08 at 02:54 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So what're y'all's favorite arcs? I think my favorite is Impel Down.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

Tough question, i think either CP9 or Thriller park for me, though the Crocodille arc will allways stand out as the place where the manga startet to get good.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Tough question, i think either CP9 or Thriller park for me, though the Crocodille arc will allways stand out as the place where the manga startet to get good.
    If it wasn't good before Alabasta, why did you read it? Anyone else think that the secret Ivankov is hording over Crocodile is that he used to be a girl?

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Simple, i started with Alabasta.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

If it wasn't good before Alabasta, why did you read it? Anyone else think that the secret Ivankov is hording over Crocodile is that he used to be a girl?
    So... are you saying this is a canon picture? Not sto say it doesn't hold some charm but... no.

So what're y'all's favorite arcs? I think my favorite is Impel Down.
    Uhm... dunno, to be honest. Many had some great stuff going on. Alabasta had a great finishing battle setup but it kind of took too long. The Water Seven/CP 9 arc had also great fights but too be honest the drama around Robin got a bit too much at times. Meh, I might as well decide on the Davy Back Fight. pure, mindless fun, even though the crew wasn't complete then.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    I'm talking about Admiral Akainu (or, as TPAM put it, Hot Pants McLavaFisty). Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru are their nicknames, Sakazuki is Akainu's name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    He's talking about Hot Pants McLavaFisty, not Cool Cat McLazyJustice. Those nicknames are mine, and I freely give permission for them to be used. Sakazaki has only met Luffy briefly and hasn't met the Straw Hats as a group yet. The other two Admirals have, and both times the Straw Hats got crushed.
    Oops, sorry. Somehow I must have misread there and I have hardly any collection of the minor stuff in the battle. Though, I guess Aikanu...meh. Yeah, he comes of as quite a **** but I feel a lot of hate he gets is for Ace. (But again, killing your allies is pretty cold hearted)

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

I do think all the flak Aikanu caches are well deserved.

To start with its him who orders the navy to open fire upon innocent civilians during robins flashback, and we also got him burning his own allies to death.

Anyway, what i do think makes caribou fit to stand shoulder to shoulder with men like this, are mostly his habbit of burying people alive.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So... are you saying this is a canon picture? Not sto say it doesn't hold some charm but... no.
    I'm not saying it is, but given Ivankov's Devil Fruit, as the fact that only s/he seems to know Crocodile's secret ...

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not saying it is, but given Ivankov's Devil Fruit, as the fact that only s/he seems to know Crocodile's secret ...
    Well, it really is an interesting idea, though Ivanko made it sound like it were something he could use to subdue Crocodille.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, it really is an interesting idea, though Ivanko made it sound like it were something he could use to subdue Crocodille.
    Hmmm. Hmmm. Good point. Maybe he thinks his crew would leave if they knew the truth? Unlikely, I know, and I'm not saying I'm right, but I do like my pet theory.

24. - Top - End - #684

While I said that it'd be funny to have a Token Evil Teammate around, it has to be a low-level evil. Nothing as bastardly as most Big Bads and more an Ineffective Sympathetic Villain/Butt Monkey than anything (more comical like Buggy) or a Belkar-like Blood Knight who likes fighting more than he really should yet still stay relatively amusing.

Not that I forsee one happening in a series as idealistic as this one. Really, about the best is a really surly and cynical character or one of the crew members on a really bad day.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Firbolg in the Playground

A small question may have been asked already: what in the name of the Grand Line is Gekko Moriah, anyway? While this series can and has streched the limits of what a human can do and look like to hights like no other, that still does not explain the fact he is a conical giant that is utterly huge when compared to even the largest human seen so far. He looks like some sort of demented fish-man/demon thingy than anything close to human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

A theory was proposed that he belongs to the briefly-mentioned tribe of Snakenecks.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

I've been wondering the same... though there were quite a few other people who did not really look human... maybe he has some giants in his ancestry? And then... just some really ugly parents.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you look at the SBS picture of him as a child, he looks pretty normal (aside from the horns, but this is OP, what you gonna' do?). And really, even as a giant human, his height isn't unheard of ... Kuma for example.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you look at the SBS picture of him as a child, he looks pretty normal (aside from the horns, but this is OP, what you gonna' do?). And really, even as a giant human, his height isn't unheard of ... Kuma for example.
    I think I know what you are talking about, and even normal humans have features that would make them mutents in any other world (ex. the varying exaggerated noses.) Here is a pic of him before his crew was wiped out. There are fish-men who look more human than him, and his neck only got that extended when his chin was torn off, so him being a snakeneck would be a mite odd.

A presonal guess after noticing something: the only horned humanoids seen so far have been giants. While thats not important in itself, they are also huge compared with the rest of there race. How much of a strech would it be for there to have been some sort of gigantic oni-type thing to have gotten around alot pre-story?
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-10-10 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    A presonal guess after noticing something: the only horned humanoids seen so far have been giants. While thats not important in itself, they are also huge compared with the rest of there race. How much of a strech would it be for there to have been some sort of gigantic oni-type thing to have gotten around alot pre-story?
    Erm, what? Are you saying Onis go around mating with female humanoids, and the kids end up huge?