New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Actually, no. Nami's always been slightly stronger than Usopp. Usopp was always intended to be the weakest member of the Straw Hats, even after all the character growth according to the Word of God.
    I think it's a bit debatable. I don't think that there's much doubt that Usopp can and has withstood far more powerful attacks than Nami, which leads me to believe that he has better physical durability than Nami.

However, both of them are severely lacking in the physical strength department. And if we look at things like speed, ability to dodge, and overall dexterity, they'd probably come out about equal. Ultimately, I think that an assertion that Nami is stronger than Usopp comes from Nami's attacks being more effective against foes with even extraordinary durability, physical strength, and defense than any of Usopp's attacks.

Edit: I don't mean the word of God being debatable, just what being "stronger" than Usopp really entails.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-10-19 at 07:41 PM.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    SBS said so huh? I still don't believe it. Ussop's been in far more fight then Nami.
    Yeah, but that's kind of the point. Usopp is supposed to be the ultimate underdog, someone who, despite the rest of the crew reaching ridiculous levels of strength, still manages to fight and win some of his battles.

Remember, Nami can one-shot Luffy AND Zoro simultaneously.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    However, both of them are severely lacking in the physical strength department. And if we look at things like speed, ability to dodge, and overall dexterity, they'd probably come out about equal. Ultimately, I think that an assertion that Nami is stronger than Usopp comes from Nami's attacks being more effective against foes with even extraordinary durability, physical strength, and defense than any of Usopp's attacks.
    Ah, ah, ah. No ... Were.

Remember, Nami can one-shot Luffy AND Zoro simultaneously.
    No, no, you mean Sanji.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

No, no, you mean Sanji.
    Nah, Nami doesn't even need one shot to KO Sanji. Her mere presence is enough to incapacitate him.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nah, Nami doesn't even need one shot to KO Sanji. Her mere presence is enough to incapacitate him.
    She really doesn't have an effect on Zolo or Luffy though. Zolo is too dedicated to his training and Luffy is just oblivious to women.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nami has limited weather control. Usopp is the Green Arrow with a slingshot as well as a bunch of other tricks and gadgets. I'd say the former counts as "stronger".

And the revelation of Hody just being an evil and psychotic bastard for no reason, well it's completely believable to say the least.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

She really doesn't have an effect on Zolo or Luffy though. Zolo is too dedicated to his training and Luffy is just oblivious to women.
    Wasn't referring to that aspect of Nami's character.

Look at Luffy and Zoro's battle at Whiskey Peak again and how it ended.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo66 View Post
    Nami has limited weather control. Usopp is the Green Arrow with a slingshot as well as a bunch of other tricks and gadgets. I'd say the former counts as "stronger".
    We have yet to see the full potential of the Green Pops. I'd say the Kabuto was more useful then the Climatact. Nami may now have the ability to take on mooks. Multiple mook. Multipne NEW WORLD mooks even. But Ussop is getting a 1 VS 1 fight.

Wasn't referring to that aspect of Nami's character.
    Sure you weren't.

Look at Luffy and Zoro's battle at Whiskey Peak again and how it ended.
    Are you talking about how they decimated everyone?

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

We have yet to see the full potential of the Green Pops. I'd say the Kabuto was more useful then the Climatact. Nami may now have the ability to take on mooks. Multiple mook. Multipne NEW WORLD mooks even. But Ussop is getting a 1 VS 1 fight.

Sure you weren't.

Are you talking about how they decimated everyone?
    /sigh...

Actually I was talking about the one person to stop their rampage and stop them from killing each other was Nami who took them both out with one shot by punching them in the face. Nami beating the crap out of Luffy occurs on a regular basis whenever Luffy's hijinks gets them into unnecessary trouble (read: all the time).

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Actually I was talking about the one person to stop their rampage and stop them from killing each other was Nami who took them both out with one shot by punching them in the face. Nami beating the crap out of Luffy occurs on a regular basis whenever Luffy's hijinks gets them into unnecessary trouble (read: all the time).
    Oh. I don't remember that. At all. And unless I know the chapter exactly, I'm not going to go on an archive binge. Anyway ... Can't speak to that specific event, but Nami's beating up Luffy is ... Comedic. As in, the damage goes away near instantaneously.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. I don't remember that. At all. And unless I know the chapter exactly, I'm not going to go on an archive binge. Anyway ... Can't speak to that specific event, but Nami's beating up Luffy is ... Comedic. As in, the damage goes away near instantaneously.
    Well, the comment about Nami being the strongest was obviously for comedic purposes....
    Also, I remember a certain scene towards the end of the Whiskey Peak arc when Luffy and Zoro were fighting.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So... something's been bugging me for awhile now.

Recently in the manga, the cover pages have been the "Decks of the World" showing what life has been like around known One Piece locales and characters after the timeskip. I thoroughly enjoy these. My favorite so far was Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday (Mrs. 9?) at Whiskey Peak with an infant.

The one I was looking forward to the most was the rest of Baroque Works, especially after their cover arc story a while back which led to the rescue of most of them from Impel Down. But after several cover pages devoted to Alabasta, Oda jumped straight to those salvage crew guys from Mocktown.

The hell? What happened to Baroque Works? Are they still together? Do they still run the new Spider Cafe? Is this a hint that Oda's planning to do something bigger with them? Maybe reunite with Crocodile and tour the New World as a legitimate pirate crew? I must know!

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

So... something's been bugging me for awhile now.

Recently in the manga, the cover pages have been the "Decks of the World" showing what life has been like around known One Piece locales and characters after the timeskip. I thoroughly enjoy these. My favorite so far was Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday (Mrs. 9?) at Whiskey Peak with an infant.
    Eh? Where was this picture?

Although now that you mention it, I remember Mr. 9 and Ms. Monday. Ms. Wednesday is Vivi.
    The one I was looking forward to the most was the rest of Baroque Works, especially after their cover arc story a while back which led to the rescue of most of them from Impel Down. But after several cover pages devoted to Alabasta, Oda jumped straight to those salvage crew guys from Mocktown.

The hell? What happened to Baroque Works? Are they still together? Do they still run the new Spider Cafe? Is this a hint that Oda's planning to do something bigger with them? Maybe reunite with Crocodile and tour the New World as a legitimate pirate crew? I must know!
    Oda is proficient with Chekhov's Gun.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We know Crocodile is going to the new world and we know that Mr. 1 is coming with him.

*remembers something else* FOR THE LOVE OF THE MARINES, PLEASE LET MR. 2 LIVE!!

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Eh? Where was this picture?

Although now that you mention it, I remember Mr. 9 and Ms. Monday. Ms. Wednesday is Vivi.

Oda is proficient with Chekhov's Gun.
    Oh, like I can be bothered to remember which day of the week is which Baroque Works member.

Although both the final fate of Mr. 2 and Mr. 3 is also a mystery. Last we saw Mr. 3 was working under Buggy the Clown (who I'll wager is a shichibukai by now.)

16. - Top - End - #736

Oh, like I can be bothered to remember which day of the week is which Baroque Works member.

Although both the final fate of Mr. 2 and Mr. 3 is also a mystery. Last we saw Mr. 3 was working under Buggy the Clown (who I'll wager is a shichibukai by now.)
    I think that the most recent One Piece Data book has Mr. 3 listed as a member of Buggy's crew. I'd be honestly surprised if they weren't still working together now.

You know what would be awesome? If Blackbeard's shenanigans in Impel Down forced Magellan to rush down to Level 6, so Mr. 2 is just re-incarcerated in Level 5 instead of being executed. He then escapes once again to lead the New New Kama Land!

...Okay. That's kinda stupid. But darn it, I want Mr. 2 to live!
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    I think that the most recent One Piece Data book has Mr. 3 listed as a member of Buggy's crew. I'd be honestly surprised if they weren't still working together now.
    Buggy becoming a Shibukai wouldn't mean losing Mr. 3. Mr. 3 would be the Hogback to Buggy's Moria.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

*remembers something else* FOR THE LOVE OF THE MARINES, PLEASE LET MR. 2 LIVE!!
    As much as I share the sentiment for Bon Clay... what love for the Marines?!

Though... it would be good if Bon was the new leader of New New Kama land but... how would he survive Magellan's attack? I mean... Dunno... Well, I hope we will learn of him at some point...

Yeah, pretty sure the mysterious letter was a proposal for Buggy to be Shichibukai after the events at Marineford. And why should 3 leave him, now that he is so powerful? Buggy is gathering a whole host of people more powerful than himself...

As for the other Baroques... dunno. Maybe we'll see them again but I don't think they are with Crocodile or otherwise back to evil. But that's just random guessing.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure this question was raised before, but still: Why in the manga are all the citizens so terrified from bursting the bubble around the city? It's not like they will drown, actually they will be able to move faster and better in water.

And related to that, why was this city built that way in the first place?
    If I'm not mistaken it was built before any thoughts of making contact with humans, so why bother creating a protective shell for creatures who are not there?

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

I've been wondering the same, actually... Maybe the houses and stuff aren't build to sustain the pressure and their fear for their homes? Or I guess even if they can swim the sudden rush of water still carries a massive force that would harm them. Just guessing, though.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I've been wondering the same, actually... Maybe the houses and stuff aren't build to sustain the pressure and their fear for their homes? Or I guess even if they can swim the sudden rush of water still carries a massive force that would harm them. Just guessing, though.
    The Noah ship itself, whatever it's for, survived all this time underwater, so there is no reason for other buildings to fall apart.
    And if the sudden rush of water can harm them, then that's a reason why not to build the bubble in the first place.

Anyway, this point sort of bugs me, but I like the arc so I file it under "pointless nitpicking".

22. - Top - End - #742

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    The Noah ship itself, whatever it's for, survived all this time underwater, so there is no reason for other buildings to fall apart.
    And if the sudden rush of water can harm them, then that's a reason why not to build the bubble in the first place.

Anyway, this point sort of bugs me, but I like the arc so I file it under "pointless nitpicking".
    If I had to make a guess about why all of the Fishmen and mermen are scared by the bubble breaking, I'd think that it is because we are talking about a bubble that is several miles in diameter. The fishmen and mermen might be able to survive the water pressure at the bottom of the ocean, but the currents of rushing water would probably crush nearly all of them on rocks or something. Not to mention, it would absolutely destroy everything on Fishman Island, including the coral that most of the buildings are sitting on.

Also, the reason that Noah was around all of this time underwater is because it was coated. Remember, Hodi was trying to prevent Luffy from having the advantage of air on Noah, so he started to slice the bubble around Noah. The reason that Fishman Island was surrounded by a bubble in the first place is still unknown, but I'd guess that it's because the buildings wouldn't be able to withstand the pressure without it.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Just because the fishmen and mermaids can breathe underwater does not mean they'd want to build their society in actual water. I would assume there are logistical problems with trying to build and run an actual underwater city, not to mention that anyone who'd want to trade with the outside world is SOL.

And they couldn't survive the bubble bursting and the rushing water any more than you could survive a tornado.

24. - Top - End - #744

I figured the Noah was something similar to the Ponglyphs (crap, did I spell that right? Too lazy to check out the One Piece wiki), in that it was neigh indestructible. The rest of Fishman Island wouldn't hold up nearly as well I imagine. If they collide...
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Just because the fishmen and mermaids can breathe underwater does not mean they'd want to build their society in actual water. I would assume there are logistical problems with trying to build and run an actual underwater city, not to mention that anyone who'd want to trade with the outside world is SOL.

And they couldn't survive the bubble bursting and the rushing water any more than you could survive a tornado.
    I agree that the bubble bursting will cause damage and kill whoever remains inside, but I don't see any advantage on building an underwater city like that.

- It is risky because of what might happen if it fails

- Fishmen are not humans that can breath underwater, they are intelligent fish that can also breath above water. They are faster and stronger in water, and regard the ocean as a natural habitat.

- Logistically, it takes a lot of effort to build a city like that.

- While underwater, they can "fly". Having a three dimensional city sure sounds better than relying on transportation and elevators.
    It should also be more natural for them compared to being forced to walk.

- From what I can see, their desire to trade with humans is relatively new.
    Even if it isn't, to trade a human would still have to have a coated ship and a risky dive. So why not simply trade on the ship itself?
    I can understand a dedicated building for trade, but the entire city?

26. - Top - End - #746

They seem to enjoy cooked meat. So there's that. :P
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Several technologies are extremely hard or just fail if you try to do them while submerged. Cooking is one example, many kinds of metal working are others. There are a lot of tool-based things that are easier to do on land, in air.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

Lets not forget the few devil fruit users among the fishmen.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So, new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

The real enemy is indeed racism... and more indirectly Arlong.

I guess this does show us that Hodi and his crew were never just innocent or well-intentioned, they've always been that hate-filled. Thanks, Uncle Arlong for educating us on them air-breathers.

I really think this situation calls for the Ultimate Diplomat.

Also, apparently Luffy's fists can explode now.

Ever since Gear 2nd, I've always thought that Aokiji is in for a new awakening if he has to go against Straw Hat one-on-one again, but now he'd just be completely screwed.

And once again, no Decks of the World for Baroque Works, but at least we get to see what those damn birds are up to.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Well... what did I get from this new chapter? Arlong was a **** (wow, that's new and lots of talking... but in the end we got

Spoiler
    Show

That's pretty much it... so.. dunno, not that amazed this week.