New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

It was a simple chapter, sure, but it was a good one.

Though I'm confused now. How did Luffy ever manage to take down Arlong in the first place? Not only was Arlong from the Grand Line, he was practically in the New World. Arlong should easily be as tough if not tougher then many leading members of the Baroque Works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Conclusion is that Luffy was just that strong, even back then. He didn't get any significant power-ups before CP9 arc, if I recall right. He fought everyone up to that point with pretty much the same weapons.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post

Though I'm confused now. How did Luffy ever manage to take down Arlong in the first place? Not only was Arlong from the Grand Line, he was practically in the New World. Arlong should easily be as tough if not tougher then many leading members of the Baroque Works.
    Couple possibilities:

1) Arlong had grown soft over the years: Relaxing in East Blue, dominion over one tiny little island, paying off human marines to leave him alone. Guy didn't even have anyone worth fighting for exercise.

2) He was never at New World level of awesome. He was just charismatic enough to have his own fishman groupies. By your logic, Buggy the Clown should've been as powerful as Shanks if not stronger and we all know the massive power gap there. Not to mention the drugs the fishmen and their home turf advantage is supposed to make up for the fact that everyone else in the area is leaps and bounds ahead of them in terms of power.

3) He was actually as powerful as we'd expect, and that just made Luffy's underdog victory all the sweeter.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

The same way he beat Creek.

Plot armor made from force of will.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guys, I was on the Mild Mass Guessing page for One Piece. I can explain "Red Hawk" ...

Spoiler
    Show
    In response to Blackbeard taking Whitebeard's devil fruit power, Luffy will take Ace's.
    It's implied the reason Blackbeard has the ability to possess two devil fruit powers is because there's something abnormal about his body. Since Luffy is Blackbeard's Good Counterpart, it's not that farfetched that his body might have the same abnormality. Plus, it would be awesome.

It ... actually makes some sense.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Bugbear in the Playground

Guys, I was on the Mild Mass Guessing page for One Piece. I can explain "Red Hawk" ...

Spoiler
    Show
    In response to Blackbeard taking Whitebeard's devil fruit power, Luffy will take Ace's.
    It's implied the reason Blackbeard has the ability to possess two devil fruit powers is because there's something abnormal about his body. Since Luffy is Blackbeard's Good Counterpart, it's not that farfetched that his body might have the same abnormality. Plus, it would be awesome.

I believe that the window of opportunity has passed. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the Devil fruit that Ace used pops up again.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I thought it had something to do with the nature of Blackbeard's Logia power, in that it controlled other logia devil fruit powers and therefore could sub host others. Not saying it won't happen, just that it seems a bit unlikely.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2011-10-29 at 05:19 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I thought it had something to do with the nature of Blackbeard's Logia power, in that it controlled other logia powers and therefore could sub host others. Not saying it won't happen, just that it seems a bit unlikely.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was stated the yami yami enabled Blackbeard to get a second power and that it is unique in that way. So no, I'm pretty sure Luffy won't get any other powers, most of all that from a dead person.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Well, firstly Whitebeard didnt have a Logia, though what type it was i cant say, Paramecia?

But i though the reason for why BB were able to hold 2 DF's in his body, were because he was from the D. line?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... okay, I checked, it's really not proven Blackbeard did it with the Yami Yami... but since she can absorb other stuff I though it made sense she could also absorb another power... well, whatever.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

While it's never been confirmed that Blackbeard got Whitebeard's DF power through the Yami Yami no Mi, it's implied that's the most likely possibility.

Up until that point, everything we knew about Devil Fruits said that it was impossible for a person to have 2 Devil Fruits, and the concept was unprecedented. All we know is Blackbeard did something with Teach's body that was hidden, and all of a sudden he had a second Devil Fruit power, something that should've been impossible.

Either he just knows more about Devil Fruits than the rest of the world and knows a loophole to the one-per-person clause, or it's a side effect of his Yami Yami no Mi. After all, he did go through an awful lot of trouble orchestrating his acquisition of the Yami Yami no Mi, and practically arranged the whole battle of Marineford just to take the shot he needed at Whitebeard.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say that the main reason that Arlong seemed so weak compared to what you'd expect from such a pirate is that he pretty much sat on his hands for about a decade at Arlong Park. He obviously hasn't seen any challenging fight in his entire time in the East Blue, so he probably just got weaker from lack of exercise (He does seem to have more muscle in the flashback.)

The real question about Arlong though, is: Why in the world did he stop wearing that awesome bandanna?

Y'know, to be honest, (not to start another power level debate) I think that Arlong might have a pretty good chance at defeating Crocodile. And Crocodile is an actual confirmed former New World Pirate!
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-10-30 at 01:06 AM.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

13. - Top - End - #763

So, am I seeing this right, did Luffy in fact
    Spoiler
    Show
    blow a hole through Hodi's torso with his Kung Pow Enter The Exploding Fist technique?

Thor's Duodenum!

That aside, he seems to have added an animal theme to his attacks. We've had Elephant Gun, Snake Gun and now Red Hawk.

On Blackbeard: As far as I remember, during the war, Marco mentioned that there was something "unusual" about Blackbeard's body that was apparently common knowledge among the Whitebeard pirates. Not sure what it was, but it didn't sound like it was the Yami Yami no Mi, but rather a condition that was known among his co-pirates when he was still among them. I'm sure there's gonna be a reveal up ahead...
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So you know how we've avoided a One Piece Z/Shippuden? We haven't. One Piece chapters are now under the billing of One Piece New World ... Or, at least the official English translations are.

15. - Top - End - #765

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    So, am I seeing this right, did Luffy in fact
    Spoiler
    Show
    blow a hole through Hodi's torso with his Kung Pow Enter The Exploding Fist technique?

Thor's Duodenum!

That aside, he seems to have added an animal theme to his attacks. We've had Elephant Gun, Snake Gun and now Red Hawk.

On Blackbeard: As far as I remember, during the war, Marco mentioned that there was something "unusual" about Blackbeard's body that was apparently common knowledge among the Whitebeard pirates. Not sure what it was, but it didn't sound like it was the Yami Yami no Mi, but rather a condition that was known among his co-pirates when he was still among them. I'm sure there's gonna be a reveal up ahead...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think that it's Luffy's style to blow a hole straight through someone. I think that it's more like a shockwave, like Rob Lucci's Rokuogan attack. I do see that it does look like Luffy blew a hole clear through Hodi, so we'll just have to wait and see.

As for Blackbeard, my favorite theory about him is that he has eaten a Cerberus Zoan Devil Fruit. The mystery of what is so strange about his body is definitely one that I hope is answered soon; preferably if it also answers whether or not the fact that Blackbeard's teeth are very inconsistent is intentional or not.

So you know how we've avoided a One Piece Z/Shippuden? We haven't. One Piece chapters are now under the billing of One Piece New World ... Or, at least the official English translations are.
    On the bright side, I don't think that Funimation has any intent on doing that for the anime.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    ... preferably if it also answers whether or not the fact that Blackbeard's teeth are very inconsistent is intentional or not.
    Considering the changing bust size in OP, it's probably just Oda being Oda.

On the bright side, I don't think that Funimation has any intent on doing that for the anime.
    I suppose. New World isn't that bad of an addition to the title. I'm sort of confused though, why has on VIZ added it? I know Z is a strictly non-Japanese-transaltion/maketing-thing, but isn't the Shippuden addendum universal?

Question for y'all. I've been buying my way through One Piece (something my wallet will live to regret I'm sure) and I've hit a snag. I've been buying the 3-in-1 Editions, but so far only the first four are out (Volumes 1-12). My limited OCD wants me to wait until the next 3-in-1 comes out, but I realize that it's possible that a new 3-in-1 will not come. So what should I do? Wait and work on collecting a different series (ie: Bakuman and Shaman King) or buy Volume 13 and continue on in the regular releases?

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Question for y'all. I've been buying my way through One Piece (something my wallet will live to regret I'm sure) and I've hit a snag. I've been buying the 3-in-1 Editions, but so far only the first four are out (Volumes 1-12). My limited OCD wants me to wait until the next 3-in-1 comes out, but I realize that it's possible that a new 3-in-1 will not come. So what should I do? Wait and work on collecting a different series (ie: Bakuman and Shaman King) or buy Volume 13 and continue on in the regular releases?
    >.>

<.<

There's a site that allows you to read manga for free, except for licensed stuff like Yugioh. So Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and more are all free. Earlier in the thread, someone said we weren't allowed to say what it is, so just google "free manga".
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-10-31 at 08:41 PM.
    My Steam profile

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    >.>

<.<

There's a site that allows you to read manga for free, except for licensed stuff like Yugioh. So Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and more are all free. Earlier in the thread, someone said we weren't allowed to say what it is, so just google "free manga".
    I believe he's aware and buying the volumes to support the artists.

And I'd say just buy new volumes, it could take a while for the full series to come out in 3sets.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I believe he's aware and buying the volumes to support the artists.
    Very much so this.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if I could get a decent translation in Germany.......

anyway, new chapter is early it seems.
    Spoiler
    Show

Luffy curb stomps Hody and wrecks Noah. Hody's gang decides to kill random people so they can at least achieve something. The other Strawhats curb stomp the new Fishmen.... And as epected giant Chopper is sane now.

So... no real surprises and too much little bits from all around to really get something amazing done, imo. Meh. But not a bad chapter.

21. - Top - End - #771

New chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, after reading the chapter, I'm finding the conflict between Brook and Zeo to be the most interesting. I don't think that any of the other Straw Hats besides Brook have made such a declaration of being against any and all needless killing.

Now that Chopper has control over monster point, he really seems to be quite a bit similar to the awakened Zoan in Impel Down. I wonder if his monster point is related.

Edit: Also, Blackbeard makes a cameo in the Whitebeard flashback. Now we know what weapon he used to give Shanks that scar.

Edit: This. Everyone must watch this. The first half of One Piece in six minutes.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-11-02 at 11:11 AM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: This. Everyone must watch this. The first half of One Piece in six minutes.
    Entertaining as it was it severely lacked Franky and Brooks in it even though I'll admit they were the last to join... or Going Merry's death.... Well, I guess there was a lot of stuff I'd like to have seen but overall a pretty nice job.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

That were an epic resume of what have happend so far, and its interesting to watch the art evolve.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hot damn I like this chapter. Though, the fight with Hody was confusing. What with the sideways battles ... And did he punch through Hody?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, if I could get a decent translation in Germany.......
    Translation of what exactly?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-11-02 at 05:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

No Whiskey Peak, no Little Garden, barely any Alabasta, barely and Skypeia besides Luffy VS Enel, no Luffy VS Usopp, Blueno and Fukurou not even shown during CP9, barely any Thriller Bark, barely any Sabody.

I know it's a 6-minute summary of a god-knows-how-long series, but still, some of the best and most important parts were gone.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

What!? Are you telling me that except for that one panel, Zoro's fight happened OFF-SCREEN!?

NOOOOOOO!!!*

*Watched the original trilogy two days ago, except for the last third of IV which was finished yesterday

Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Berserk Chopper got bigger, no longer goes berserk, and likely requires one rumble ball.

I wonder what would happen if Luffy ate a rumble ball?

I fear what would happen if Blackbeard ate a rumble ball.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #777

What!? Are you telling me that except for that one panel, Zoro's fight happened OFF-SCREEN!?

NOOOOOOO!!!*
    C'mon, Zoro sliced up two of the guys swords last chapter and said that he can't even get rid of Zoro's boredom. Hody's crew just can't compete with the Strawhats.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Neither of those are Zoan type, so probably nothing.

Other zoan types might be affected though.

29. - Top - End - #779

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

NOOOOOOO!!!*

*Watched the original trilogy two days ago, except for the last third of IV which was finished yesterday

Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Berserk Chopper got bigger, no longer goes berserk, and likely requires one rumble ball.

I don't think there are swordsmen who can really challenge Zoro other than Mihawk and perhaps Shanks (and I seriously doubt he will cross swords with him), I am pretty sure Zoro's future enemies will have other kind of abilities, perhaps even being stronger fruit users perhaps even Logia types (of all his enemies the only one I recall being a Devil fruit user was Mr. 1, though I may be wrong)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC