New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

That's the power of Oda, baby. How else do you think he married one of his own characters?

Spoiler
    Show

I wonder if his kids will go into manga ... That'd be something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

That too. Everyone else on the crew has their own specific dreams and goals to work towards. I guess Jimbei could work to forward human-fishman relations, but it doesn't seem like he could do that on the Straw Hat crew.
    Or maybe Jimbei would like himself some nice revenge on the bastard who killed WB?

That aside, then i personaly think he would be a excellent fit for crew, the powerup that the strawhats got should more or less place him so close to the rest of the monster trio that i wouldnt think the outcome of any machout were desidet beforehand.

As for group dynamic, then i do think his serious nature would make him an excellent straight man to the more crazy members of the crew.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Or maybe Jimbei would like himself some nice revenge on the bastard who killed WB?
    That's a pretty gruesome dream compared to the rest of the Straw Hats. We should as remember that he was asked to watch over Luffy by Ace back in Impel Down.

That aside, then i personaly think he would be a excellent fit for crew, the powerup that the strawhats got should more or less place him so close to the rest of the monster trio that i wouldnt think the outcome of any machout were desidet beforehand.
    He's at least on par with Sanji. And honestly, I'm having trouble gauging the crews power these days. Luffy's still on top, but just about everyone else in the crew seems like they're all on equal ground.

As for group dynamic, then i do think his serious nature would make him an excellent straight man to the more crazy members of the crew.
    Robin's already a bit of a straight man, though I agree.

And while all of the crew has said no, we do have one example of someone who was asked to join and didn't ... Gaimon. Though, at this point, it's looking like he'll be joining IMO.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2011-12-01 at 04:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    That's the power of Oda, baby. How else do you think he married one of his own characters?
    Doesn't the rumour go that massive increase of fan-service in the series is because Oda has massive hots for his wife and is constantly horny...?

Cause I find that perfectly plausible theory now.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Doesn't the rumour go that massive increase of fan-service in the series is because Oda has massive hots for his wife and is constantly horny...?

I haven't noticed an increase in fan service. An increase in bust, yes, but that isn't exactly an increase in fan service ... Though it's entirely possible.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

That's a pretty gruesome dream compared to the rest of the Straw Hats. We should as remember that he was asked to watch over Luffy by Ace back in Impel Down.
    Nahh, gruesome would be to capture him and hand him over to the World gouverment, just throwing him into the ocean would be a nice thing to do compared to that.

He's at least on par with Sanji. And honestly, I'm having trouble gauging the crews power these days. Luffy's still on top, but just about everyone else in the crew seems like they're all on equal ground.
    Ahh yes, thats about the same thing i said in the text you highlightet?

I i still do think the monster trio (quartet?) is ahead though, mostly from the way they handled those pacifista.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

I still have issues with Jinbei... I just don't see him fit in with the crew even if we allow more serious characters such as Nico Robin or if we say his dream is to further the human/merman relations... He's too old, he's lived his life, he's served his purpose, as far as I'm concerned. No offense to him, just saying.

Equal ground? Seriously? I'm sure Zoro can curb stomped anything that's not Luffy or Sanji or Jinbei, probably while they team up on him. About the same for Sanji, except against the girls. I'm not sure how far ahaed Luffy or Jinbei are but Zoro and Sanji are still far beyond the others, I think.

Yeah, I think that's the shared opinion of the fandom. I can totally understand it, though. Just look at her.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Power Rankings Pre-Timeskip from what I can gather:
    Spoiler
    Show

Luffy
    Zoro
    Sanji
    Franky
    Robin - ((She's so hard to place because her fighting style at the time was never about brute force and always about subtlety and subterfuge. It's like trying to compare Batman to the rest of the Justice League.))
    Chopper
    Brook
    Nami
    Usopp

Post-Timeskip:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I got nothing... If the power scale isn't the same as before, I'm not sure what it'd be, probably because I get the feeling that even with this huge arc we've only seen a fraction of the new Straw Hats' power.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I mostly agree to that listing, but I think Brook was supposed to be stronger then Chopper; weren't Chopper, Nami and Usopp called the coward trio (or something similar)?

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    I mostly agree to that listing, but I think Brook was supposed to be stronger then Chopper; weren't Chopper, Nami and Usopp called the coward trio (or something similar)?
    True. I wondered about that myself. My positioning there was based on the fact that A) Brook hadn't joined the crew when the "weak" trio went to Thriller Bark, and 2) Chopper actually had quite a few battles under his belt by that point. Brook's track record pre-timeskip was finishing off the Spider Monkey that Nico Robin and Franky fought, losing against Ryuuma twice, and putting some people to sleep. Chopper at least could fall back on Monster Point.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

True. I wondered about that myself. My positioning there was based on the fact that A) Brook hadn't joined the crew when the "weak" trio went to Thriller Bark, and 2) Chopper actually had quite a few battles under his belt by that point. Brook's track record pre-timeskip was finishing off the Spider Monkey that Nico Robin and Franky fought, losing against Ryuuma twice, and putting some people to sleep. Chopper at least could fall back on Monster Point.
    Well, i dont think loosing against Ryuuma should be held against Brook, as the guy were tough enough to give Zorro a run for his money.

And as for chopper falling back on monster point, then i dont really think that should be considered as a power boost either, since doing so would have send him on a senseless and selfdestructive rampage before the power boost.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Well, i dont think loosing against Ryuuma should be held against Brook, as the guy were tough enough to give Zorro a run for his money.

And as for chopper falling back on monster point, then i dont really think that should be considered as a power boost either, since doing so would have send him on a senseless and selfdestructive rampage before the power boost.
    Well, no one ever said that Monster Point at the time didn't have major drawbacks. If it didn't have any drawbacks, that would've put Chopper much higher on the list.

But I guess the end result is Brook and Chopper's positions on that list are debatable, mostly because Brook really didn't have anything under his belt at the time (because he's a skeleton! Yohoho!).

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Well, no one ever said that Monster Point at the time didn't have major drawbacks. If it didn't have any drawbacks, that would've put Chopper much higher on the list.
    Much higher?

I could see it raising him above Robin, whose placement really is hard to determine anyway.
    But Franky did take him town first (second?) time that he used monster point

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Much higher?

I could see it raising him above Robin, whose placement really is hard to determine anyway.
    But Franky did take him town first (second?) time that he used monster point
    True. I guess when you're competing with the Top 4 there, even Monster Point isn't that big a deal.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If Monster Point is being ignored because it harms him, Luffy should ignore his Gear boosts. Which, honestly, would put him behind Zolo, if not Sanji pre-timeskip.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

If Monster Point is being ignored because it harms him, Luffy should ignore his Gear boosts. Which, honestly, would put him behind Zolo, if not Sanji pre-timeskip.
    Its not being ignored because it harms him, its being ignored because when he used it, he stopped being a member of the strawhats, and became instead a raging monster.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone else sort of disappointed by Franky's fight? Yeah, he kicked major ass, but he was in a Mecha. This isn't suppose to be a Mecha manga.

On that note, Oda apparently said in an interview that he wanted to do a (short) robot manga after One Piece ended.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else sort of disappointed by Franky's fight? Yeah, he kicked major ass, but he was in a Mecha. This isn't suppose to be a Mecha manga.

On that note, Oda apparently said in an interview that he wanted to do a (short) robot manga after One Piece ended.
    Its one piece, and Franky's always been heading in that direction. It seems like fairly natural character progression to me.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Its one piece, and Franky's always been heading in that direction. It seems like fairly natural character progression to me.
    I'd understand if he was the Mecha, sort of like a Pacifista ... But being inside one bugged me a lot.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

So new chapter guys

Spoiler
    Show
    Well Jimbei refused to join the Strawhats; but it seems that at some point in the future he will actually join, I really don't have much to say about that.

But most importantly...that is how you pull of a turn of events...whether this will be wham episode is still to be seen in my opinion; but I can say I never expected that Shiraoshi could be Poseidon, heck I was pretty sure Poseidon was located in Raftel.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #831
    Barbarian in the Playground

New chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HOLY CRAP DID NOT EXPECT THAT! Princess Shirahoshi is Poseidon! The mystery of one of the ancient weapons is finally solved! Not only that, but now Luffy has one of the ancient weapons as an ally. Take that Crocodile, and Spandam!

Oh yeah, Jimbei declined the invitation to join.
    But hey, so did Zoro, and Sanji, and Chopper, and Franky initially. I'm still hoping he'll come around; after all, now that Poseidon is fully awakened, he won't even really be needed to protect Fishman Island.

Lastly, a small bit of info on Joy Boy. I really hoped that we'd learn a little bit more about him, the promise that he made to Fishman Island, and the void Century, but I suppose the reveal of Poseidon is enough for now.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well... Jinbei does not seem to join (right now) I'm pleased.

But there's more to Shirahoshi than it seemed.... still a new Strawhat?! Well, she is a breathing ancient super weapon... for what threat a sea king is to a haki user anyway.

The partyinf was nice, I guess, though I enjoyed FT's party last week more. Meh, can't please everyone.

I wonder how much longer the Strawhats will be on Fishman Island, though.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

When Robin started talking, I was confident Noah was going to be the weapon. Funny how that turned out.

This chapter single-handedly justifies the whole damn arc and stops it feeling like filler.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Well... Jinbei does not seem to join (right now) I'm pleased.

But there's more to Shirahoshi than it seemed.... still a new Strawhat?! Well, she is a breathing ancient super weapon... for what threat a sea king is to a haki user anyway.

The partyinf was nice, I guess, though I enjoyed FT's party last week more. Meh, can't please everyone.

I wonder how much longer the Strawhats will be on Fishman Island, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess two or perhaps three more chapters at most, though I feel they still have to do something with that other pirate...the one who was kidnapping the mermaids.

When Robin started talking, I was confident Noah was going to be the weapon. Funny how that turned out.

This chapter single-handedly justifies the whole damn arc and stops it feeling like filler.
    I saw the arc more like a breather than a filler to be honest, it still advanced the story; but it wasn't as frantic or important as the last few arcs... but now I am not sure.
    Just call me Dusk

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

some thoughts and wild mass guessing:

loved the arc; as it's main job; show the full changes of the strawhat's growth was done quite well. The fact we got more meta plot and oda's foreshadowing (or is it pastshadowing) was gravy.

wild mass guessing
    Spoiler
    Show

With the revelation that came with with this chapter that the ancient weapons are not just mechanical, we got a tangible clue on what the "Will of D" is. It is the most terrible of the ancient weapons; as it brings about the most destructive force of all: Change.

One piece is either a weapon that uses the Will of D OR is the counter to the weapons; which either way would be why the world government wouldn't want it's name spreading.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

I guess two or perhaps three more chapters at most, though I feel they still have to do something with that other pirate...the one who was kidnapping the mermaids.
    Well, he did release the mermaids when he stole all the treasure, so i doubt there will be done anything else to him this chapter.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

True... perhaps he will try to catch up a ride on the thousand sunny?
    Just call me Dusk

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    wild mass guessing
    Spoiler
    Show

With the revelation that came with with this chapter that the ancient weapons are not just mechanical, we got a tangible clue on what the "Will of D" is. It is the most terrible of the ancient weapons; as it brings about the most destructive force of all: Change.
    Change, hu?
    Nah, I guess the theory kind of makes sense... at least the bit about what the "Will of D." actually is.

My issue with the recent arc... the whole racism thing was way overdone. I... dunno, I don't mind some emotional impact from the story or something but e.g. back when we got Robin's back story at Water Seven or wherever I also was bored out of my mind for it's entirety because we could see what was going to happen and it felt like it really dragged on...
    And now it was like a whole arc of it. Don't get me wrong, I don't like racism or anything but I feel like OP is not the place to make a statement against it.
    The action was fun, though.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Never doubt Oda's story-telling abilities. Aside from the Davy Back Fight, has there been any filler in the One Piece manga?

30. - Top - End - #840
    Banned

Of course, change is the most powerful weapon there is, it's the power to make your enemy not your enemy anymore.