New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    New Chapter, yoh.

Spoiler
    Show
    So Fishman island will be destroyed because of the Strawhats afterall. And did the dude from the Logleg tribe eat a Tortoise/Turtle type Zoan Fruit?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, from what I read (and the One Piece wiki supports this at the time of writing too), the tortoise shell was Pekoms (the lion-dude), not Mr. Long-Legs. Apparently it's a reference to some turtle-lion mythological creature. It also means either Pekoms' lion appearance does NOT come from a fruit, so either he's A) a lion who's somehow sentient and has another Devil Fruit to boot, or B) is just a guy with a very cat-like appearance aka Mohji or Absalom.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    aka Mohji or Absalom.
    Hu? Mohji's just wearing a costume and I thought Absolom looked like that because he was sewn together from all kind of creatures...

I guess I'm not that happy with the new chapter... t wasn't bad and seeing Smoker and Tashigi again was nice but it seemed like too little happened (to me at least)

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hu? Mohji's just wearing a costume and I thought Absolom looked like that because he was sewn together from all kind of creatures...
    It was more to point out the odd resemblance factors than anything else. You're right on Absalom, though Mohji's hair is his real, natural hair. It really does grow from a panda-style to a rabbit-style to a lion-style.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, from what I read (and the One Piece wiki supports this at the time of writing too), the tortoise shell was Pekoms (the lion-dude), not Mr. Long-Legs. Apparently it's a reference to some turtle-lion mythological creature. It also means either Pekoms' lion appearance does NOT come from a fruit, so either he's A) a lion who's somehow sentient and has another Devil Fruit to boot, or B) is just a guy with a very cat-like appearance aka Mohji or Absalom.
    Another possibility would be a mythical Zoan fruit of the Lionturtle variety.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Another possibility would be a mythical Zoan fruit of the Lionturtle variety.
    That would be something. He's certainly skill full whatever he is. I'm already thinking about who would win in a fight, him or Marco. Sort of stupid to be doing that now though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

6. - Top - End - #876

That would be something. He's certainly skill full whatever he is. I'm already thinking about who would win in a fight, him or Marco. Sort of stupid to be doing that now though.
    My money would still be on Marco. He stood his ground against every one of the three admirals. There's not really any indication that Pekoms is the number one of Big Mom's henchmen. Don't really see him being in Marco's weight class.

That said, still a decent show of what Big Mom's pirates are capable off. Definitely gonna make for some serious challenge to the Straw Hats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice to see Smoker and Tashigi again. G5 Marines seem kinda silly. Tashigi seems to have seriously levelled up. Smoker, we shall see - would be nice to get an impression of what he has learned in the meantime, and what his rank is now. Power-wise I'd not be surprised if he was Vice Admiral, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy Akainu would like to promote.

Also, Tashigi has gotten...bigger. Oda really seems to like using Nami's current build
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Tashigi has gotten...bigger. Oda really seems to like using Nami's current build
    Well, yes but I'd never think of complaining about that.

8. - Top - End - #878

Nice to see Smoker and Tashigi again. G5 Marines seem kinda silly. Tashigi seems to have seriously levelled up. Smoker, we shall see - would be nice to get an impression of what he has learned in the meantime, and what his rank is now. Power-wise I'd not be surprised if he was Vice Admiral, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy Akainu would like to promote.
    Smoker is Vice-Admiral, it says so on page 17.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

New Chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    FINALLY After I don't even know how much time, we are finally in the new world!!!
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    New Chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    FINALLY After I don't even know how much time, we are finally in the new world!!!
    Yeah... not really much else. I'm not complaining but it was pretty uneventful, wasn't it?

Spoiler
    Show

Though, not telling the Strawhats about the bomb seems dumb... And I wonder where the necessity for the new pose comes from.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So, not relevent to the new chapter, since everything to say has already been said, but I managed to pick up One Piece: Unlimited Adventure from GameStop.

Pretty good game so far. You technically only start off with Luffy, but it doesn't take long to recruit the rest of the crew up till Franky. Each character plays simply, but moves have to be unlocked by leveling the moves you already get.

Plot in case you didn't know is the crew's in the middle of the ocean with no island in sight when it's discovered that Luffy, Usopp and Chopper ate the entire food supply in an eating contest. Luffy goes fishing but only manages to hook a strange pearl (how that got caught on the fishing hook I don't know). Somehow the pearl summons an island from the depths and the entire ship gets sent flying. Luffy falls on the island near enough debris from the ship to make a campsite, and sets to work finding the rest of his crew, which doesn't take long. Apparently, there's some hidden treasure on the island guarded by seals which draw upon people's memories. So the bosses are clones of past bad guys. Already fought Smoker and Mihawk that way.

A lot of the game is spent foraging for materials to try and recreate certain items. Everything from a pickaxe and stove to repairing Nami's Climatact and Usopp's Kabuto. There's something of a grind as each character only gets the most basic of attacks until you unlock the rest of their moveset. You get all 8 crew members and can switch between them at will, and each has separate health bars, so if one guy gets low you can switch.

From what I've seen, you can set up multiplayer or even just exhibition matches with any of the characters from the game. The only downside is that the game is dated, as there isn't any material from past Impel Down. There's a sequel, but I don't think it was or ever will be released in America. There's a second sequel coming out for the 3DS I think, but that's not likely to get released in America either.

As far as criticism, besides the grind, the only real complaint I have so far is that no one, not even the non DF-users, can swim. Water is treated as a pit hazard, it's just that Luffy, Chopper, and Robin take more damage than the others. All in all, the game actually does feel like One Piece and the characters all handle well once you unlock their abilities. My highlight so far has been beating up Smoker with Nami and Mihawk with Nico Robin and Franky.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

New chapter folks.

Spoiler
    Show
    For a minute there I thought they had gotten pulled all the way back to the entrance of the Grand Line and that was balloon. Then I realized that'd be totally out of character for Oda. Poor Brook, his distress was palpable.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Weren't Laboon's scars caused by banging his head against a rock? Do all of these whales get trapped at some point in their lives?
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Weren't Laboon's scars caused by banging his head against a rock? Do all of these whales get trapped at some point in their lives?
    I think it was explained that it's a normal thing for their species at some point. Not getting stuck, but ramming with their heads.

EDIT: I think it was stated they all rammed the Red Line, I don't remember why, exactly.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-01-25 at 08:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

I think it was explained that it's a normal thing for their species at some point. Not getting stuck, but ramming with their heads.

EDIT: I think it was stated they all rammed the Red Line, I don't remember why, exactly.
    Not sure if that's the actual reason but someone says they want to get to their lost mate, Laboon...

Still, I felt there was too much hijinks and not enough... real stuff happening this chapter even if we got Nami fanservice.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

As a note, common sperm whales often have scars on their heads from fighting with giant squids. So it could be Oda's done his research and those scars are from fightin their last lunch other giant seacreatures?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

NEW CHAPTER!

Now with 100% more plot!

Spoiler
    Show
    So the Straw Hat gang is headed to Fire Island *snicker* with Vice-Admiral Smoker close behind. With Punk Hazard being something that the government went to this much trouble to cover up, it better be something awesome.

So the current party is Luffy, Zoro, Robin, and Usopp. What? No healer? This'll be tough...

Also, thar be dragons.

And Luffy's probably going to show us how to tame one!

If part of the island really is frigid like it's implied, then is this that one level from Banjo-Tooie that's half ice-world and half volcano-world?

And finally, the new secretary for Water 7 is adorable.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Why the heck does Smoker have such a terrible crew!?

And why can't we just get the total smackdown Zoro's going to give Tashigi over with? He was way stronger than her before, and nothing is better than training with the guidance of the strongest in the world.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Why the heck does Smoker have such a terrible crew!?

And why can't we just get the total smackdown Zoro's going to give Tashigi over with? He was way stronger than her before, and nothing is better than training with the guidance of the strongest in the world.
    Knowing Smoker's distaste for some of the more corrupt practices of the marines (mostly going off his reaction to receiving the credit for Alabasta), he's probably pissed off enough of the higher ups, including Akainu, that they just stuck him with the worst possible assignment.

Tashigi was never really a rival to Zoro, just a heartstring-tugging reminder of a lost loved one.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm calling it here: Smoker joins the strawhats. He got pissed off at the government's b.s., realized Luffy and the rest were actually pretty decent as he researched their activities, and played the marine command so he could track the crew down and tell the world government to sit and spin on it by hoisting the Strawhat flag. It is patently obvious that he follows his own sense of justice, and with the promotion of Akainu, he is fed up with the corruption and brutality.

That or an epic fight between him and Luffy, because let's face it, the fishmen pirates all got curbstomped.

I'm putting the odds at 65% and 25% percent, with a 10% Oda randomosity wild card. Takers?

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charninja View Post
    I'm calling it here: Smoker joins the strawhats. He got pissed off at the government's b.s., realized Luffy and the rest were actually pretty decent as he researched their activities, and played the marine command so he could track the crew down and tell the world government to sit and spin on it by hoisting the Strawhat flag. It is patently obvious that he follows his own sense of justice, and with the promotion of Akainu, he is fed up with the corruption and brutality.

That or an epic fight between him and Luffy, because let's face it, the fishmen pirates all got curbstomped.

I'm putting the odds at 65% and 25% percent, with a 10% Oda randomosity wild card. Takers?
    I like that theory; but I think it will be first and EPIC fight (with Luffy surprising him by being able to hit him) and the he will join the crew.

Also I believe your percentages are a bit off, Oda's wild card should be at least (if not more) 15% IMO
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No way. If Smoker leaves, he's reusing his X Drake story. And what would he do with Tashigi? She'd be useless in the Straw Hats. She's just another swordsperson and is vastly inferior to Smoker.

Honestly, I'm waiting for Jimbei to come back and join like he said he would. That'd be 10, which Luffy said is all he needs. And who ever joins makes 10, 11 if you assume Luffy meant 10 total. Also remember that he counts the ship as a member of his crew...

0: Luffy
    1: Zolo
    2: Nami
    3: Ussop
    4: Sanji
    5: Chopper
    6: Nico Robin
    7: Franky
    8: 1000 Sunny
    9: Brook
    10: ??? (Potentiaventually Jimbei)
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-02-01 at 11:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893

SolithKnightGuy

Just logging in to say this:

Spoiler
    Show
    OH NO, HERE THERE BE DRAGONS!

Also, I don't think Smoker will be joining the crew. As AtlanteanTroll said, what would happen to Tashigi in that case? I don't see her joining the crew. Besides which, respect for Luffy or not, Smoker has shown before that he hates pirates on principle, more so than Nami did before joining. I don't see him changing his point of view there. He's much better as an antagonist.
    The Ishka wiki. Check it out people, it's a cool little city.

My memorial spoiler. Please give a moment of silence for those who have died.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gary Gygax.
    1938-2008

Lord Shojo
    266-407

Miko Miyazaki
    120-464

Therkla
    484-593

Thanh
    511-827

Durkon Thundershield
    001-877

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

No way. If Smoker leaves, he's reusing his X Drake story. And what would he do with Tashigi? She'd be useless in the Straw Hats. She's just another swordsperson and is vastly inferior to Smoker.

Honestly, I'm waiting for Jimbei to come back and join like he said he would. That'd be 10, which Luffy said is all he needs. And who ever joins makes 10, 11 if you assume Luffy meant 10 total. Also remember that he counts the ship as a member of his crew...

0: Luffy
    1: Zolo
    2: Nami
    3: Ussop
    4: Sanji
    5: Chopper
    6: Nico Robin
    7: Franky
    8: 1000 Sunny
    9: Brook
    10: ??? (Potentiaventually Jimbei)
    Considering Oda I find it unlikely if that is all there is to it. I mean its possible but it could easily be ten crew members other than the Sunny, or Luffy could decide he wants more crew mates. Or 10 could be the little going merry row boat. Or Oda could have forgotten that original estimate. Or that could have applied to the first half. Its a pretty good theory but new crew mates is half the fun. And I'd be sad if they stopped coming.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Ill say i dont think Smoker will join either, despite how awesome it would be, mostly due to the Tashigi issue.

But the issue of Smokers awfull crew really is puzling, he has made it to the rank of vice-admiral, so i cant belive he wouldnt be able to chose less evil marines.
    And also, i do have trouble beliving that with his power he wouldnt be able to stop them commiting atrocities.

Also, thar be dragons.

And Luffy's probably going to show us how to tame one!
    Well, to start with its speaking, so it would more be a case of befriending it.

Also, im throwing my bet in on the Dragon being able to stomp Luffy flat in a fair 1 vs 1.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Considering Oda I find it unlikely if that is all there is to it. I mean its possible but it could easily be ten crew members other than the Sunny, or Luffy could decide he wants more crew mates. Or 10 could be the little going merry row boat. Or Oda could have forgotten that original estimate. Or that could have applied to the first half. Its a pretty good theory but new crew mates is half the fun. And I'd be sad if they stopped coming.
    Too many crew members would spoil the group dynamic. It's already getting so that characters don't get as much plot, character development, and screentime as before. Also, not as many decent battles. Half the problem with the fishman island arc was that all the one-on-one battles were rushed and all shown at the same time. Before that, we had Saobody which had anything but the traditional battle format, Thriller Bark which was less 1v1 battles and more giving the weaklings of the crew a chance to shine, and then pitting everyone VS one powerful enemy at once. The last time we had a decent arc for everyone plot and battle-wise was Impel Down.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Ill say i dont think Smoker will join either, despite how awesome it would be, mostly due to the Tashigi issue.

But the issue of Smokers awfull crew really is puzling, he has made it to the rank of vice-admiral, so i cant belive he wouldnt be able to chose less evil marines.
    And also, i do have trouble beliving that with his power he wouldnt be able to stop them commiting atrocities.

Well, to start with its speaking, so it would more be a case of befriending it.

Also, im throwing my bet in on the Dragon being able to stomp Luffy flat in a fair 1 vs 1.
    I'm not certain that Smoker's crew is actually incomptetent, just rowdy and perverted. Sure they don't necessarily feel like going to the Forbidden-No-Really-Don't-Enter-Here-Ever-You-Will-Die zone, but can you blame them? Not to mention they are still nameless mooks, so of course they're weaker than every named character ever.

It would be hilarious if Smoker caught up with Luffy and his troops actually put up a decent fight against post-timeskip Straw Hats.

And I'm not so sure about the dragon being able to take Luffy. We are talking about the same Luffy who was able to tame a Kraken single-handedly underwater.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not certain that Smoker's crew is actually incomptetent, just rowdy and perverted. Sure they don't necessarily feel like going to the Forbidden-No-Really-Don't-Enter-Here-Ever-You-Will-Die zone, but can you blame them? Not to mention they are still nameless mooks, so of course they're weaker than every named character ever.
    I newer called them incompetent, just awfull, and you forgot sadistic, evil and cruel in your description of them, even Smoker himself calls them lowlives and scum.

It would be hilarious if Smoker caught up with Luffy and his troops actually put up a decent fight against post-timeskip Straw Hats.
    Well they are operating in the new world, that alone would be a indicator of power.

And I'm not so sure about the dragon being able to take Luffy. We are talking about the same Luffy who was able to tame a Kraken single-handedly underwater.
    There wasnt anything singel-handedly there, he were with both Zorro and Sanji then.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2012-02-02 at 09:21 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I newer called them incompetent, just awfull, and you forgot sadistic, evil and cruel in your description of them, even Smoker himself calls them lowlives and scum.
    It's Smoker. Lowlifes and scum is practically a term of endearment for him. And other than make some lewd comments and gestures towards Tashigi, they really haven't done anything to make me consider them sadistic, evil, or cruel yet. Not to mention he called them scum when giving them a direct order, something that most captains, pirate marine or otherwise, do when giving a direct order.

EDIT: Okay, rereading the previous chapters with them. I'll give the sadistic and cruel thing as apparently they have a reputation of torturing prisoners. But considering most prisoners are probably just as horrible if not worse pirates, and except for one recent panel of a tied-up pirate, I'm not ready to say they're downright evil based mostly on the hearsay of a random pirate.

There wasnt anything singel-handedly there, he were with both Zorro and Sanji there.
    Re-read that as well. My bad.

Still not taking any bets on Luffy VS the Dragon. Could go either way.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... no, I don't really see Smoker joining. (nor Jinbei, but that's an old story) Not so much because of Tashigi, she might die for all we know but he works better as an antagonist and I really don't see it in him... yes, he hates a lot the government does but if he wanted to he could have left long ago. He's too much a soldier to just drop his position.

As for the recent chapter... was good. Was really good. I like how they limit the overpowered crew by having them draw straws. Or maybe the others will get their share of the action as well?
    Also... Dragons?! What the hell? We had a filler with dragons, I don't want anymore Oda dragons, no thanks.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Knowing Smoker's distaste for some of the more corrupt practices of the marines (mostly going off his reaction to receiving the credit for Alabasta), he's probably pissed off enough of the higher ups, including Akainu, that they just stuck him with the worst possible assignment.
    Combining and expanding these theories: Akainu hand-picked Smoker's crew. They have orders to kill Tashigi and Smoker (they're equiped with kryptoniteseastone weapons "to deal with the Strawhats") when they reach a sufficiently isolated location, and either make it look like pirates did it, or say that they were executed for treason. They successfully kill Tashigi (probably in view of Zoro), prompting Smoker to declare war on Akainu. /WMG

I don't see him actually taking up a crew slot, but he's certainly someone who could end up with some magma on his blade before the end of the series, even if the above scenario doesn't go quite the same way (which it probably won't, I'm not Oda :P )