New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    Combining and expanding these theories: Akainu hand-picked Smoker's crew. They have orders to kill Tashigi and Smoker (they're equiped with kryptoniteseastone weapons "to deal with the Strawhats") when they reach a sufficiently isolated location, and either make it look like pirates did it, or say that they were executed for treason. They successfully kill Tashigi (probably in view of Zoro), prompting Smoker to declare war on Akainu. /WMG

I don't see him actually taking up a crew slot, but he's certainly someone who could end up with some magma on his blade before the end of the series, even if the above scenario doesn't go quite the same way (which it probably won't, I'm not Oda :P )
    I actually hypothesize the opposite. If Smoker does go rogue, he'll earn the loyalty of the G5 marines just because he's that awesome. He might even whip them into something resembling a decent fighting force at some point.

I wonder if any of the G5 marines will actually end up being named characters, so Smoker has more than himself and Tashigi to actually fight the Straw Hats.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Too many crew members would spoil the group dynamic. It's already getting so that characters don't get as much plot, character development, and screentime as before. Also, not as many decent battles. Half the problem with the fishman island arc was that all the one-on-one battles were rushed and all shown at the same time. Before that, we had Saobody which had anything but the traditional battle format, Thriller Bark which was less 1v1 battles and more giving the weaklings of the crew a chance to shine, and then pitting everyone VS one powerful enemy at once. The last time we had a decent arc for everyone plot and battle-wise was Impel Down.
    This. One Piece is now half-way done according to Oda (or thereabouts). Let's look at Naruto. After the starts of Shippuden, how many truly important main, recurring characters have been introduced that have as much depth as not even Naruto, but let's say, Choji. The answer is, honestly, in the grand scheme of things, not many.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    (Nor Jinbei, but that's an old story)
    Why not? It's basically all but confirmed as it is now. (Then again, considering Oda...)

Also... Dragons?! What the hell? We had a filler with dragons, I don't want anymore Oda dragons, no thanks.
    This is why I don't watch the anime and no one should ever watch filler. Oda probably doesn't even bother to watch the filler himself, and he most certainly doesn't create it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Why not? It's basically all but confirmed as it is now. (Then again, considering Oda...)
    Well... Jinbei humbly declined and I'm mostly agreeing with 'his time is past and the Strawhats aren't for oldtimers'. I don't think there will be a point where he joins up with them. But I guess we will have to see about that.

This is why I don't watch the anime and no one should ever watch filler. Oda probably doesn't even bother to watch the filler himself, and he most certainly doesn't create it.
    Hm... not sure if Oda is totally unaware of the filler plot lines and I'm not blaming him for it either it's just... dunno... I don't want it. Especially not since it kind of appears the same kind of dragon from what little we could see.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

Well... Jinbei humbly declined and I'm mostly agreeing with 'his time is past and the Strawhats aren't for oldtimers'. I don't think there will be a point where he joins up with them. But I guess we will have to see about that.

Hm... not sure if Oda is totally unaware of the filler plot lines and I'm not blaming him for it either it's just... dunno... I don't want it. Especially not since it kind of appears the same kind of dragon from what little we could see.
    He didn't really decline as much as say "give me some time to wrap up my affairs and I'll be happy to."
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    He didn't really decline as much as say "give me some time to wrap up my affairs and I'll be happy to."
    Of course, he could have Jimbei all ready to join the Straw Hats then kill him off making him the second character to die on screen. I may cry if that happens...

6. - Top - End - #906
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh, dunno where you're gettign that from exactly. The dragons in that filler way back were feathered, bird-like eastern Dragons. This one, from the first picture at least, looks more like it could be straight out of Lord of the Rings or maybe D&D.

Btw as far as I remember the only filler arc that Oda was involved in was the Ice Hunter arc. He didn't have much of anything to do with the others, and the dragon arc was noted for outright contradicting Oda canon in various ways (Zoro cutting Metal and a high-ranking Marine that was pathetic and incapable of combat whatsoever being the most obvious and painful examples) so clearly he did not write it.

As a side note: Dragon. Did not see that coming. Maybe the island is divided between a fire dragon and an ice dragon?
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #907
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, if that's the case man, then I guess that ice dragon must be pretty happy right now.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think it's safe to assume that the guys using the sleeping gas to hijack the Thousand Sunny are not Smoker's men, considering they do not apparently recognize the crew. Also, anybody taking odds on whether the pair of legs really will join the crew later?

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yeah... this dragon, not even remotely the same as the one from the filler arc. For one thing, this dragon is actually threatening.

My first thought when it was just a pair of legs was Buggy the Clown, but now that it appears to be an entirely new character (or at least half a one) I'm legitimately confused, mostly because I'm not sure what kind of new power could give a man that ability. Unless he's only half in Logia form or something...

Looks like we get to see some Shichibukai action this arc. Either Donquixote Doflamingo or perhaps we get to see the replacement(s) soon.

Also...

Spoiler
    Show
    Why the hell is Brook affected by sleeping gas? He doesn't have any lungs! (Yo-ho-ho-ho...)

EDIT: And now I can't help but picture the dragon-slaying music from Skyrim whenever I reread the chapter.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2012-02-08 at 09:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone else feel like there was a subtle jab / reference to Fairy Tail this chapter? Also new potential crew member! With Jinbei that makes eleven! I told you I wasn't crazy!
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My first thought when it was just a pair of legs was Buggy the Clown
    This was my thought as well. Though, they aren't the same height, and I doubt he would have grown so much in 2 years if at all.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-02-08 at 06:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Huh, dunno where you're gettign that from exactly. The dragons in that filler way back were feathered, bird-like eastern Dragons. This one, from the first picture at least, looks more like it could be straight out of Lord of the Rings or maybe D&D.
    Yeah but it seemed to me like it was the same kind last week... meh.

As for today..I guess we got some interesting action... an interesting character (who also made me think of Buggy but I think we get something entirely new and I have NO idea what)
    Ad for the others... I almost missed Brooks there... Maybe he just pretends to be knocked out? Would be the most logical assumption I dare say.
    Also: Yay, Dragon slaying!

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So new chapter...

Spoiler
    Show

Suspicions confirmed about there being both a fire and ice half of the island. No word yet on whether a bear carrying a bird in a backpack are somewhere on the island.

Luffy and co. have shenanigans with the legs.

But more importantly, we see the rest of the crew in captivity. Along with the head of a samurai who's in pieces. Now it looks like Trafalgar Law's power, but I'm personally thinking it has to do with another samurai's special possibly DF-powered sword or something.

Brook's apparently missing. Though if he was unconscious, I'm betting whoever captured him probably didn't think he was alive to begin with.

Also, giant day-care.

And this may be a bit presumptuous, but my gut is telling me once the samurai is back in one piece, he might be a candidate for next crew member. Jumping the gun I know, that's just what my instinct is telling me (and why it will therefore never happen.)

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I bet the legs belong to the samurai.

Alright, we've got the head, we've got the legs, why do I feel there's something still missing?

Also, who else thinks the children are baby giants?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

But more importantly, we see the rest of the crew in captivity. Along with the head of a samurai who's in pieces. Now it looks like Trafalgar Law's power, but I'm personally thinking it has to do with another samurai's special possibly DF-powered sword or something.
    I dont think there are any other Samurai on this island, this guy did say how he were cutting up people because they had apperently kidnapped his son, but got hit by some weird weapon that reduced him to his current state.

And this may be a bit presumptuous, but my gut is telling me once the samurai is back in one piece, he might be a candidate for next crew member. Jumping the gun I know, that's just what my instinct is telling me (and why it will therefore never happen.)
    I dont think this will happen, again mostly because he has a son to take care off, it would be strange for him to then abandon whatever duties he have to run off and play pirate.

Also, both luffy eating the dragon, and playing with the legs were hilarious, though the leggs suplexing luffy were also funny

And as a final note, now that i think about it then we allready know about the existance of dragons from the thriller part arc, where the previous owner of Zorro's sword had slain one.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, was a fun chapter, if a bit much text in the prison scene... Sexist samurai is sexist... but still can't resist Nami's... charms.

I'm also curious what happened to the samurai... didn't think of Trafalger but... it seems unlikely.

Giant day care... I wonder why. And what's up with the place...

No... what Khaine said... and we got two swordsmen already. There are other weapons if we really want a new crew member...

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No... what Khaine said... and we got two swordsmen already. There are other weapons if we really want a new crew member...
    This is what I was thinking, but knowing Oda is probably just as likely to be wielding a, I don't know, 12 foot long baseball bat as opposed to a simple sword. Although, at this point, it looks like he doesn't have any DF powers that'd make him particularly unique so yeah. I'm saying he's not joining.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-02-18 at 11:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

One Piece has been licensed, so no more online manga scans (legal ones at least).
    My Steam profile

18. - Top - End - #918
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    One Piece has been licensed, so no more online manga scans (legal ones at least).
    This made me do a double take. For a moment I thought I went into a thread necro.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Is there even a scanlation out?
    Because i have been unable to find anything, even on those pages who still had Naruto and Bleach.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Is there even a scanlation out?
    Because i have been unable to find anything, even on those pages who still had Naruto and Bleach.
    I'm pretty sure it's on break this week.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh thanks.

Quite annoying though, they usualy announce it when the manga when it will skip a release.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

New chap, yoh.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gotta say, I really like the fact that Punk Hazard was Aokiji and Akainu's battleground.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This certainly puts a new scale on the true power of the Admirals, when they dont have to worry about collatoral damage.
    I guess the Strawhats do a bit further to go, before Luffy will be able to avenge Ace.

That aside, it looks like someone are taking people appart, and proberly putting them together again with other parts.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Yay, I found a new site that's still updating!

Spoiler
    Show
    They didn't bother to evacuate the people there. I guess they would think that except for that one super-protected fortress of bounty hunter, but the fact that there are houses there is kind of obvious. Maybe they picked a spot that had nobody in site... and still managed to wreak havoc to the island.
    My Steam profile

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

You missed a vital point, the island had allready been evacuated 2 years earlier due to Vegapunk playing around with dangerous chemicals.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    You missed a vital point, the island had allready been evacuated 2 years earlier due to Vegapunk playing around with dangerous chemicals.
    I did miss that. That explains why they didn't care about collateral damage despite there being a bunch of houses.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that reveal on the end was the one amazing bit about the chapter... I guess the kids aare kept to fuse them with animals as well? We'll see... Pretty sure the things are hibrids anyway, and it's probably the same thing as what happened to leggy... Maybe Law really is involved in the whole thing.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So what was the winged woman? A zoan user or some sort of chimera?

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    So what was the winged woman? A zoan user or some sort of chimera?
    I think the other guy was on to something, and they're fusing people with animals. She'd effectively be a harpy. Although since there was a dragon, it might just be that there's a lot of fantasy creatures and she's actually a harpy. Or there's just a lot of zoan users and the dragon is a mystery.
    My Steam profile

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Do remember that the leggs were stuck to the dragon, it seems clear someone had been trying to make a Dragon-centaur....