New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Im pretty sure that what Ceasar does is to fill his surroundings with CO2, its not something Luffy's poison resistance would work against, and it would make people suddenly fall asleep without noticing why.
    That was what I thought as well (or some other gas) but then I'm a bit surprised no one else got knocked out but kind of precision would probably be qithin the limits of a gas gas fruit.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    And it is finally revealed what is Trafalgarīs connection to Vergo. Finally, we see who is the man behing the plan. I never expected to hear that Joker was really Doflamingo but I expected a connection between Trafalgar and him due to the similar flags.

I suppose it is nice to see the place where the kids come from even if there isnt much of a point right now.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I never expected to hear that Joker was really Doflamingo....
    Honestly? It seemed so obvious to me I was surprised anyone even in universe would be surprised by it... Okaym maybe it's just me...

Well, we get some info on Vergo but still no idea how he easily took out Law... We get a look at some place we really don't care about and a possible new villain for the future who... we not yet care about. The children get 'saved' and the sowrdsmen and Sanji are still running around in the cold.
    I liked the bit about Luffy and Smoker being caught together again but apart from that... the chapter suffered from the same syndrome as Naruto this week... too many places were stuff happens and nothing really gets done. I'm not saying there has to be huge progress every week but... a little bit? Please?

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Honestly? It seemed so obvious to me I was surprised anyone even in universe would be surprised by it... Okaym maybe it's just me...
    Spoiler
    Show
    How did you find out or deduce it? Just curious.....
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Banned

Do you guys think the samurai dude will join the crew? He would fit a lot better than Jinbei, IMHO

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Do you guys think the samurai dude will join the crew? He would fit a lot better than Jinbei, IMHO

I like swords and all but that is way too many crew members that would use them. Yeah two of them would have fruit abilities so their powers wouldn't be exactly them same but still. And do they need another pervert?

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Troll in the Playground

Too many swordsmen!
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

In what role?

Jinbei can play the vacant role of First Mate or from piloting back from Impel Down Helmsman if need be. Zoro isn't really one so it is open (I believe Strong World labels him Swordsman) and everyone else has a defined role.

That said I won't be suprised if the crew is actually static and finished. While Jinbei has an open offer I suspect it will never be fulfilled but instead he will become the nucleus of a growing ring of allied pirates who will assist the Straw Hats in whatever the big drama arc to end the story is. In theory Jinbei still has a crew of his own out there after all. Or he could join after Big Mom goes down. I'm rather open there, but I'd be very suprised if the crew grew much if any beyond that. It would start to become unwieldy as a cast.

Also what reason does samurai guy have to travel with the Strawhats? His goal is singular and rather achievable, rescue his son. That's not something open ended enough to let him poke around the world with ease. And if he rescues his son what reason does he have?

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Too many swordsmen!
    This too.

(On a side note I guess it is true that every arc the fandom start speculating that some character will join the crew)

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Banned

Too many swordsmen!
    We already have 3 martial artists (Jinbei, Luffy, Sanji). 3 swordsmen doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    In what role?
    Robin doesn't have a role in the ship as well, she is the 'ship's historian' which doesn't really exist. Jinbei does not have a role as well. Having a role doesn't really matter anymore, they've got all the bases covered.

IJinbei can play the vacant role of First Mate or from piloting back from Impel Down Helmsman if need be. Zoro isn't really one so it is open (I believe Strong World labels him Swordsman) and everyone else has a defined role.
    I'm pretty sure Zoro has been caleed first mate officialy.

IAlso what reason does samurai guy have to travel with the Strawhats? His goal is singular and rather achievable, rescue his son. That's not something open ended enough to let him poke around the world with ease. And if he rescues his son what reason does he have?
    He could consider himself indebted to them, in true samurai fashion. Or he could fail in rescuing his son.
    I dunno, I kind of want him to join, but I can't see why he wouldn't. I can see plenty of reasons why he would, though.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

While I think the samurai guy would be a better fit than Jinbei as part of the crew, I don't think either will be full-time crew members. The samurai closer fits the usual theme for the type of person Luffy recruits, but he just doesn't bring anything to the table. His DF power is... strange to say the least, but while useful, I don't see him being anything but a 10th wheel.

I don't consider Jinbei a crew member any more than I consider Vivi or Bon Clay. They're allies, sure, but I sincerely doubt Jinbei will ever become a full-time crew member and I hope it stays that way. He's just not Straw-Hat material.

We might not see a 10th crew member ever. It's already getting hard enough to juggle nine main characters in each arc, and all the important crew positions are filled. Lookout and Helmsman can be filled by whoever's free at the time.

If we do get a 10th crew member, it probably won't be anyone with an official role. Maybe something like a Quartermaster/someone in charge of keeping track of supplies, a Trader to help sell loot, or an ambassador type person to help with those Diplomacy checks the Straw Hats keep failing. Maybe even something like a Butler or Maid to just clean up the place. I don't know, I'm reaching for straws. I do hope we eventually get a Fishman or at least a Merfolk as a crew member, just because I really like the race, though there are other races we could potentially see too (Dwarves, Minkmen, Longnecks, Long-arms, Longlegs, etc.)

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

We already have 3 martial artists (Jinbei, Luffy, Sanji). 3 swordsmen doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.
    Almost nothing connects Luffy, Sanji, and Jinbei's styles. Fishman Karate despite its name is as much hydrokinesis as it is unarmed combat now. And Luffy I'd extend a limited immunity to on the basis of being the main character.

Zoro and samurai guy are already closer then Zoro and Brook are.

I don't consider Jinbei a crew member any more than I consider Vivi or Bon Clay. They're allies, sure, but I sincerely doubt Jinbei will ever become a full-time crew member and I hope it stays that way. He's just not Straw-Hat material.
    However Jinbei does have an open invitation. I won't consider it official until it is fulfilled. And I strongly suspect it won't be. However I cannot ignore the open invitation and Jinbei's deferral, its a promise that I won't mind being broken by circumstance... but it has to be broken in story.

Robin doesn't have a role in the ship as well, she is the 'ship's historian' which doesn't really exist. Jinbei does not have a role as well. Having a role doesn't really matter anymore, they've got all the bases covered.
    Given that she's there to bring up all the serious underlying plot elements that role is more important then it would be in life. (And there's some precedent for scholars on ships like Charles Darwin

I'm pretty sure Zoro has been caleed first mate officialy.
    As far as I'm aware he hasn't. If you've got a specific reference I'll look it up. I have noted a counter example from the canonical Strong World movie

He could consider himself indebted to them, in true samurai fashion. Or he could fail in rescuing his son.
    I dunno, I kind of want him to join, but I can't see why he wouldn't. I can see plenty of reasons why he would, though.
    Sounds pretty weak to me.

And there is plenty of precedent for a character not joining. The Straw Hats tend to have at least one allied character each arc that has apparently had speculation on joining. Check out the list down this page a ways.

Really all samurai guy has going for him is a lack of other options in the arc.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    While I think the samurai guy would be a better fit than Jinbei as part of the crew, I don't think either will be full-time crew members. The samurai closer fits the usual theme for the type of person Luffy recruits, but he just doesn't bring anything to the table. His DF power is... strange to say the least, but while useful, I don't see him being anything but a 10th wheel.
    That's pretty much what I think as well. It just surprised me that a character that has Strawhat written all over him was introduced in such a way.

While I agree, Jinbei does have an open invitation. He even accepted it but asked them to wait. Vivi did get something of an invitation but I don't think Mr 2 ever did.

We might not see a 10th crew member ever. It's already getting hard enough to juggle nine main characters in each arc, and all the important crew positions are filled. Lookout and Helmsman can be filled by whoever's free at the time.
    Oda can do 10 characters easily enough.

If we do get a 10th crew member, it probably won't be anyone with an official role. Maybe something like a Quartermaster/someone in charge of keeping track of supplies, a Trader to help sell loot, or an ambassador type person to help with those Diplomacy checks the Straw Hats keep failing. Maybe even something like a Butler or Maid to just clean up the place. I don't know, I'm reaching for straws. I do hope we eventually get a Fishman or at least a Merfolk as a crew member, just because I really like the race, though there are other races we could potentially see too (Dwarves, Minkmen, Longnecks, Long-arms, Longlegs, etc.)
    You know, there was a point during the Marineford arc where I thought all of Franky Family would join the crew. Most pirate crews have a lot more members than the Straw Hats and I thought this would be stepping stone for them. It doesn't look like anything similar to this is ever going to happen though.

Almost nothing connects Luffy, Sanji, and Jinbei's styles. Fishman Karate despite its name is as much hydrokinesis as it is unarmed combat now. And Luffy I'd extend a limited immunity to on the basis of being the main character.

Zoro and samurai guy are already closer then Zoro and Brook are.
    Dude, we've seen one sword technique from the samurai guy. One that neither Zoro nor Brook can replicate. His style is different enought for Zoro to be interested on it (which is probably the first time since Mihawk this happened).

However Jinbei does have an open invitation. I won't consider it official until it is fulfilled. And I strongly suspect it won't be. However I cannot ignore the open invitation and Jinbei's deferral, its a promise that I won't mind being broken by circumstance... but it has to be broken in story.
    I kinda hope it is not fulfilled. Jinbei is fine but he is no Strawhat.

Given that she's there to bring up all the serious underlying plot elements that role is more important then it would be in life. (And there's some precedent for scholars on ships like Charles Darwin)
    Which is not relevant to my point
    Scholars and explorers sometimes were on ships because they needed ships for their expedition. Darwin was not a pirate, was he?
    All I'm saying is that 'there are no roles to fit in the ship' is not an argument against anyone joining, since we already have Robin and she fits no role.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't. If you've got a specific reference I'll look it up. I have noted a counter example from the canonical Strong World movie
    Checked around and it's not officially stated, but most people they meet assume he is. Well, if he is not, then it's another point towards roles in the ship having no weight regarding someone joining or not.

Sounds pretty weak to me.
    Like I said, my point is just the straw hat fits him.

And there is plenty of precedent for a character not joining. The Straw Hats tend to have at least one allied character each arc that has apparently had speculation on joining. Check out the list down this page a ways.
    ~
    That list is awful. I mean, people really did think those guys were gonna join?! The only ones that make sense are Paulie and Vivi.
    I remember wondering if Caribou would join, but knew it was very unlikely.

Really all samurai guy has going for him is a lack of other options in the arc.
    And fitting the Straw Hats. And not liking pirates.
    Really, all of the characters that joined had plenty of reaosn on why they should not join. Aside from Brook (well, and Robin, but she wasn't invited), they all rejected Luffy at first.

I don't know if he'll join or it's even likely, but I kinda want to see him in the crew.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Actualy i have seen him mentioned as the first mate a couple of times as well, ill give you a reference next time i read start over on the serie.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

This I don't understand. Because if Vivi or Bon Clay ever found themselves on the Thousand Sunny I almost guarantee they would be permanent straw hats. And What exactly about Jinbei makes him not a straw hat? He has a dream, a dream of fish men equality. That seems like dream enough.

First, I see what you did there.

Second, I'm pretty sure Nami is the quartermaster, as she's in charge of navigation and managing everyone else's craziness. She also has a firmer hand on the supply side than just about anyone else, and runs the day to day activities of the crew when Luffy is too busy being crazy. After all in true pirate style the Captain is in charge when it comes to battle, but he doesn't run the rest of their lives.

However I do hope we see more Strawhats. Because gaining crew members is part of what has made the story so much fun. And it would be a shame if the ship didn't pick up enough talent to fill the Sunny up after they switched ships and everything.

Dude, we've seen one sword technique from the samurai guy. One that neither Zoro nor Brook can replicate. His style is different enought for Zoro to be interested on it (which is probably the first time since Mihawk this happened).

I kinda hope it is not fulfilled. Jinbei is fine but he is no Strawhat.
    If I might ask what qualifies as a Strawhat to you? I always thought it was the dream, and Jinbei certainly has that. Samurai guy, unless his son get's taken to the far corner of the world... does not.

Which is not relevant to my point
    Scholars and explorers sometimes were on ships because they needed ships for their expedition. Darwin was not a pirate, was he?
    All I'm saying is that 'there are no roles to fit in the ship' is not an argument against anyone joining, since we already have Robin and she fits no role.
    Funny you should say that...
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Banned

If I might ask what qualifies as a Strawhat to you? I always thought it was the dream, and Jinbei certainly has that. Samurai guy, unless his son get's taken to the far corner of the world... does not.
    Jinbei is not quirky enough. We simply don't know enough about samurai guy yet.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guys, the cast is full. We have 10 members. Remember, Luffy counts the ship as a member. So unless he counts himself, it's full, and if he doesn't, my bet's on Jinbei.

1: Luffy
    2: Zolo
    3: Ussop
    4: Sanji
    5: Nami
    6: Chopper
    7: Nico Robin
    8: Franky
    9: The 1000 Sunny
    10: Brook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Guys, the cast is full. We have 10 members. Remember, Luffy counts the ship as a member. So unless he counts himself, it's full, and if he doesn't, my bet's on Jinbei.

1: Luffy
    2: Zolo
    3: Ussop
    4: Sanji
    5: Nami
    6: Chopper
    7: Nico Robin
    8: Franky
    9: The 1000 Sunny
    10: Brook
    You're basing this off of one quote that happened a very long time ago, and Luffy already invited Jinbei so obviously he doesn't consider the crew full. I mean, if you can find word of god that Oda won't add more crew members I'll believe it, but until then, speculating on potential crew mates is half the fun!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Banned

In the brazilian translation, Luffy says what amounts to "about 10 guys", meaning 11 is not impossible. Dunno about the original.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lots of stuff, so to save space I'm going to avoid all the separate quoting of excerpts.

@Soras Teva Gee: Zoro and Brook are different swordsmen because one is of the traditional eastern katana style and Brook is of the western fencing style. Not to mention that Brook's DF powers and musician abilities put entirely new twists on his skillsets.

While I wouldn't call "historian" an official pirate role, Nico Robin has proven to be pretty useful. Deciphering ruins, understanding new cultures, etcetera, not to mention all of her skills as an assassin. She definitely has her role on the ship despite it not being a very clearly defined role.

I was certain that Zoro was officially First Mate, but I can't find any evidence on the wiki and I certainly don't feel like pouring through the entirety of the manga for anecdotal evidence. The only thing I could find was Luffy referring to Zoro as his "first crewmate" which kind of implies it. At any rate, Zoro does fill the obligations of First Mate, that is being a second-in-command and keeping the captain in check. See Zoro's speech for why Luffy had to let Usopp go in Alabasta for the best example of his role as First Mate.

@ThiagoMartell: Oh no doubt Oda can do 10+ crew members if he so chose to. I'm just not sure he would. Then again, I've given up on predicting Oda's plot. He's the one mangaka who can regularly surprise me. I'm still kicking myself for not making the Joker-Doflamingo connection before it was revealed even though it seems obvious in hindsight.

The samurai still could be a possibility, but at this point I'm going to say he's just not developed enough. I remember way back in Baratie when they introduced the three chefs, my guess was that Patty would have been the Straw Hat cook before they did all of the development with Sanji. I know better than to place bets with Oda now.

@Xondoure: It's less that he'd be accepted in-universe and more that I don't see his tough, old, serious nature fitting that of the Straw Hat dynamic. He'd be awkward from a narrative perspective IMO.

Nami is the Quartermaster in the same way Usopp was the Shipwright before Franky came along. The idea that they'll ever get such a person is pure speculation, but someone to keep things better organized might be a useful role to consider.

It's more than just "having a dream." From an OOC-perspective, a new Straw Hat needs to be able to fit into the group dynamic. Being able to put up with severe incompetence in some areas and wild, crazy annoying shenanigans. To me, Jinbei just seems like he'd be a wet blanket if he were to join the crew. This doesn't have anything to do with his in-universe chances of joining, just from the writer's perspective.

@AtlanteanTroll: Even if Oda did count the Thousand Sunny as a crew member, you're still one short. Luffy is the captain, not one of the ten he expressed a desire for. But as Xondoure said, the whole "10 crew members" bit is based clearly off of one sentence said by Luffy very early in the story and not necessarily the foreshadowing we're hoping for.

I do hope we get a 10th crew member, and I'm personally hoping for a fishman/merfolk (just not Jinbei) just because it's such a cool race for characters.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Banned

Also, does Brook have a dream?

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Brook's dream is getting all the way back around the world and rejoining Laboon.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Also, does Brook have a dream?
    To go back and see Laboon of course.

There might also be something about becoming a world-famous musician, but mission accomplished there.

EDIT: Ninjas in a pirate thread? Scandal!
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2012-07-09 at 11:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: Ninjas in a pirate thread? Scandal!
    Damn ninjas in the playground!

I'll agree with... whoever says no. I've been against Jinbei joining the crew (as said I guess in the previous thread by now) and I don't see the samurai joining. Not because the crew is full but because they just don't fit in my opinion. They don't have a job, samurai guy has no dream, they just don't seem strong enough to me, really... About anyone who joined the crew Luffy knew it from the startm well most of the time. And with Samurai guy he apparently doesn't fell the need to recruit him. I might be wrong or I might not, we'll see.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In many navies, quartermaster is a non-commissioned officer (petty officer) rank for personnel responsible for their ship's navigation. In the US Navy, the quartermaster is responsible for the ship's navigation and maintenance of nautical charts and maps. Aboard merchant ships, quartermasters are usually the Able Seamen assigned to bridge watches. A naval quartermaster's main task is to steer the ship and apply the helm orders given by the Captain or watch officers.

Pirate quartermasters

Through a historical oddity, pirates during the Golden Age of Piracy elevated the rank of quartermaster to much higher powers and responsibilities than it had aboard any merchant or naval vessel.
    Pirate quartermasters (quarter deck masters), like pirate captains, were usually elected by their crews. It was the quartermaster's responsibility to lead the pirate boarding party when coming aboard another ship. This was usually done from the quarter deck which was the place where two ships touched during the boarding attack. The quartermaster ranked higher than any officer aboard the ship except the captain himself, and could veto the captain's decisions whenever the ship was not chasing a prize or engaged in battle. The quartermaster also was chiefly responsible for discipline, assessing punishments for crewmen who transgressed the articles. Several quartermasters, notably Calico Jack Rackham, became captains after the previous captain was killed or deposed.
    Now Nami doesn't lead the raiding parties or anything, but that's because Luffy does that. She does do everything on the management sides and almost certainly makes more decisions about things than anyone else. Couple that with the fact she's the navigator, and she's the closest fit for a quarter master I think you'll ever see for the straw hats (Usopp isn't a good shipwright, because he's a lookout, that's his roll. Nami's roll is navigation, which is the quartermaster's job.)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Brook's dream is getting all the way back around the world and rejoining Laboon.
    ...Why is he with the Straw Hats, then? They are going in the exact opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    And with Samurai guy he apparently doesn't fell the need to recruit him.
    Well, Luffy has yet to see Kinemon in one piece...
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-07-09 at 01:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Troll in the Playground

...Why is he with the Straw Hats, then? They are going in the exact opposite direction.

Well, Luffy has yet to see Kinemon in one piece...
    Because for some bizarre reason you can only ever move forward around the grand line. In order to reach Laboon he has to go around. (Yes, this has been contradicted quite a lot at this point... it's One Piece.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Banned

Because for some bizarre reason you can only ever move forward around the grand line. In order to reach Laboon he has to go around. (Yes, this has been contradicted quite a lot at this point... it's One Piece.
    Are you sure that was not a mistake in translation? Because this makes no sense. Hardly anyone ever gets to Laftel, and it's already been stated that it's at the end of the Grand Line. If you could only move forward it would mean that Don Krieg (who ran away from the Grand Line) actually managed to reach Laftel.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Troll in the Playground

Are you sure that was not a mistake in translation? Because this makes no sense. Hardly anyone ever gets to Laftel, and it's already been stated that it's at the end of the Grand Line. If you could only move forward it would mean that Don Krieg (who ran away from the Grand Line) actually managed to reach Laftel.
    It's been a very long time, I could be totally wrong. I know the compass will only ever point to the islands ahead once it has registered a previous island. I think the Marines get around this by sailing in sea king territory. Perhaps the really strong pirates do that as well. :shrugs: I don't know really.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Now Nami doesn't lead the raiding parties or anything, but that's because Luffy does that. She does do everything on the management sides and almost certainly makes more decisions about things than anyone else. Couple that with the fact she's the navigator, and she's the closest fit for a quarter master I think you'll ever see for the straw hats (Usopp isn't a good shipwright, because he's a lookout, that's his roll. Nami's roll is navigation, which is the quartermaster's job.)
    I think you're taking this too literally.

Navigation is the role of the Navigator. Nami is the Navigator.

I'm using the term "Quartermaster" to define the person in charge of taking inventory and making sure the crew gathers enough supplies for the voyage. Currently, Nami does that role as well as Sanji, Chopper, Robin, and whoever else needs specific materials for the time.

The Straw Hats don't necessarily need someone to take over as an actual full-time Quartermaster. It's just one possibility among many for a potential role for a new crew member.

Re: Brook: It's not just going to see Laboon, it's fulfilling the promise he and the other Rumba pirates made to Laboon: going around the Grand Line and reuniting with him at the end. No one ever said it was logical. Plus there's the whole "saving his bony ass" that kind of puts him in debt with Luffy and the Straw Hats.

EDIT: Re: Log Poses & Don Krieg.

There are regular Log Poses which let you go through the Grand Line the "right way" only going forward, and then there are Log Poses that are permanently affixed to one island, which is what most people on the Grand Line use. Presumably short-range travel between different islands for trade purposes for example, isn't actually that difficult.

Don Krieg came to the Grand Line unprepared, presumably by way of a Calm Belt. He had an armada when he entered, he left with barely one ship left. He did what you're not supposed to do and suffered his entire fleet for it.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2012-07-09 at 03:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Troll in the Playground

I think you're taking this too literally.

Navigation is the role of the Navigator. Nami is the Navigator.

I'm using the term "Quartermaster" to define the person in charge of taking inventory and making sure the crew gathers enough supplies for the voyage. Currently, Nami does that role as well as Sanji, Chopper, Robin, and whoever else needs specific materials for the time.

The Straw Hats don't necessarily need someone to take over as an actual full-time Quartermaster. It's just one possibility among many for a potential role for a new crew member.

Re: Brook: It's not just going to see Laboon, it's fulfilling the promise he and the other Rumba pirates made to Laboon: going around the Grand Line and reuniting with him at the end. No one ever said it was logical. Plus there's the whole "saving his bony ass" that kind of puts him in debt with Luffy and the Straw Hats.

EDIT: Re: Log Poses & Don Krieg.

There are regular Log Poses which let you go through the Grand Line the "right way" only going forward, and then there are Log Poses that are permanently affixed to one island, which is what most people on the Grand Line use. Presumably short-range travel between different islands for trade purposes for example, isn't actually that difficult.

Don Krieg came to the Grand Line unprepared, presumably by way of a Calm Belt. He had an armada when he entered, he left with barely one ship left. He did what you're not supposed to do and suffered his entire fleet for it.
    Well let's put it this way, Nami is as much of a quartermaster as Luffy is a captain.
    Spoiler
    Show