New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Banned

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

The Sanji situation was hilarious.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tashigi has no luck, the poor girl. And where'd Trafalgar disappear to?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I don't see Sanji winning this one.

This feels like one of those battles where the Big Bad beats up on one of the major characters to prove how awesome they are. Sad because that just seems to happen to Sanji more often than the others. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Although interesting connection here:

Sanji's going to save Tashigi, who looks exactly like Zoro's childhood friend, which causes some kind of dramatic tension between Zoro and Tashigi (possibly romantic depending on which fanbase you ask) giving Sanji and Zoro a convoluted sort of almost-love triangle.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

When else has Sanji been in that situation? Also, speaking of that sort of thing...

Spoiler
    Show
    Caesar and Luffy have an interesting dynamic. I guess Caesar never really flat out beat Luffy and showed he was more powerful, but ... He sort of did by having his poison actually work on him. It's funny Luffy was able to hurt him so bad on that last page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    When else has Sanji been in that situation? Also, speaking of that sort of thing...

Spoiler
    Show
    Caesar and Luffy have an interesting dynamic. I guess Caesar never really flat out beat Luffy and showed he was more powerful, but ... He sort of did by having his poison actually work on him. It's funny Luffy was able to hurt him so bad on that last page.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't poison, it was lack of oxygen. Now that Luffy knows the trick things will be different. Besides, it's not like Luffy hasn't lost then kicked ass before.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

I guess Caesar never really flat out beat Luffy and showed he was more powerful, but ...
    I suspect it will be quite awhile before Luffy fights someone who's actually a peer in true combat ability. Just it feels a little late in the game to me for him to be threatened by arc/island level baddies anymore. I expect quite a few stacked decks for Luffy's fights, I mean heck last arc gave Hody super-saiyan 'roids AND had a bunch of the fight in the damn ocean just to keep things interesting.

We want someone who can actually take Luffy in a straight fight we need to start looking at folks with a bit more weight behind them. The Shichibukai, the Supernovas, maybe even the Admirals or Yonko.

Though speaking of arcs... do we have enough villains to fill out the formula? Something is up there.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Eneru, Absalom, Kalifa...

Granted the latter two exploited his various psychological weaknesses but it is still a trend.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Eneru, Absalom, Kalifa...
    As i recall Eneru beat up Zorro to show how badass he was, and Sanji just flat out refused to fight Kalifa, so i dont think that situation counts.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... Eneru might be a case when he shortly showed up on the Ark(?) but neither Absolom nor Kalifa really suit the problem. I have no idea how powerful this guy is but I feel confident just from my guts that Sanji will protect Tashigi properly.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    As i recall Eneru beat up Zorro to show how badass he was, and Sanji just flat out refused to fight Kalifa, so i dont think that situation counts.
    First Eneru showed up on the boat and fried Usopp and Sanji.

Both Kalifa and Absalom are less perfect examples, because while Sanji tried to bluff and intimidate Kalifa into submission [/giggity] he couldn't bring himself to actually hurt a woman, which caused him to lose that fight so he could later redeem himself fighting Jyabura.

Sanji almost defeated Absalom, but because he was too busy trying to protect Nami, Absalom was able to exploit that and get away with Nami, effectively making it a loss.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    First Eneru showed up on the boat and fried Usopp and Sanji.

Both Kalifa and Absalom are less perfect examples, because while Sanji tried to bluff and intimidate Kalifa into submission [/giggity] he couldn't bring himself to actually hurt a woman, which caused him to lose that fight so he could later redeem himself fighting Jyabura.

Sanji almost defeated Absalom, but because he was too busy trying to protect Nami, Absalom was able to exploit that and get away with Nami, effectively making it a loss.
    Enel is the only one that fits your own description, but he, much like Zombie Oars, beat pretty much the entire Straw Hat crew to show how tough he was, not just Sanji. His fight against Kalifa had nothing to do with losing to show how tough she was and she was nowhere near the Big Bad (in fact, she was ecplicitly the weakest of the CP 9). It was pretty much clear he would have destroyed her were it not for his chivalry. And him vs. Absalom was less a fight and more an extraordinarily one-sided beatdown before Absalom managed to use his power to get away. If anything, it showed that Absalom wasn't anywhere near the strength of the top Straw Hats.

Back to the chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    Laughed like crazy at Sanji saving Tashigi. Still, sad that Tashigi, even after power levelling, only ever faces named opponents that outmatch her by far. Zoro, Robin, Law, now Vergo... would be nice to see her pull some kind of win at some point.

Smoker will have to beat Vergo for betraying the marines, by all logic of justice. So it should be interesting to see how this factors into Sanji vs. Vergo. I do not neccessarily think Vergo has Sanji outmatched.

Luffy going after Ceasar again is fun. Should be interesting to see how their rematch plays out. Clearly Luffy far outmatches him physically, but Ceasar's devil fruit power is extraordinarily powerful nevertheless.
    Last edited by Lord of the Helms; 2012-09-09 at 10:53 PM.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Enel is the only one that fits your own description, but he, much like Zombie Oars, beat prett much the entire Straw Hat crew to show how tough he was, not just Sanji. His fight against Kalifa had nothing to do with losing to shw how tough she was and she was nowhere near the Big Bad (in fact, she was ecplicitly the weakest of the CP 9). It was pretty much clear he would have destroyed her were it not for his chivalry. And him vs. Absalom was less a fight and more an extraordinarily one-sided beatdown before Absalom managed to use his power to get away. If anything, it showed that Absalom wasn't anywhere near the strength of the top Straw Hats.
    That's a fair counter-argument. It's just seemed like whenever they need one a Worf from the Straw Hats they seem to pick Sanji, and that his win record isn't anywhere close to Luffy and Zoro because of it.

Maybe I just like Sanji too much and want to see him rack up a few more wins.

I still say this coming fight doesn't seem like the type anyone but Luffy or Smoker would win. Vergo seems like too much of a big bad for it to be otherwise. I could be wrong though, and I very much hope I am.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, Zolo still has one of the biggest losses. The only other Straw Hat to be decimated by a Shibukai was Luffy, and he was able to avenge himself pretty quickly.

Also. The bounty system is effed. Luffy currently has 400 Million, Kid has 470, Doflaming had 340 and Crocodile had ... 81. Only 81. What.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Banned

Well, Zolo still has one of the biggest losses. The only other Straw Hat to be decimated by a Shibukai was Luffy, and he was able to avenge himself pretty quickly.

Also. The bounty system is effed. Luffy currently has 400 Million, Kid has 470, Doflaming had 340 and Crocodile had ... 81. Only 81. What.
    Bounties don't measure power, they measure threat level.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

the bounty system isnt a viable indicator of how powerfull a given person is, it only shows either their ability to tick the world gouverment off, or how dangerous they belive you to be.

Luffy's bounty is inflated because he has more or less declared the WG war, while also showing off his HAKI to most of the marine top.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Bounties don't measure power, they measure threat level.
    Right, right. But ... How exactly does one who is only deemed worthy of having a 81 million bounty even in consideration for Shibukai?

Original shibukai bounties at time of supposed resignation from piracy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mihawk - ???
    Doflamingo - 340,000,000
    Moria - 320,000,000
    Kuma - 296,000,000
    Jibe - 250,000,000 (+400,000,000 upon return to piracy)
    Crocodile - 81,000,000
    Hancock - 80,000,000

Total: +1,367,000,000

And, for comparison, Supernova Bounties upon introduction as such, and post time skip (if it is known).

Spoiler
    Show
    Kidd - 315,000,000 (470,000,000)
    Luffy - 300,000,000 (400,000,000)
    Hawkins - 249,000,000 (320,000,000)
    Drake - 222,000,000 (???)
    Law - 200,000,000 (440,000,000)
    Apoo - 198,000,000 (350,000,000)
    Killer - 162,000,000 (200,000,000)
    Bonney - 140,000,000 (???)
    Bege - 138,000,000 (???)
    Zolo - 120,000,000 (???)
    Urouge - 108,000,000 (???)

Total: 2,152,000,000 (+2,402,000,000)

Also, the Straw Hats as of there last known bounty, because why not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luffy - 400,000,000
    Zolo - 120,000,000
    Nami - 16,000,000
    Usopp - 30,000,000
    Sanji - 77,000,000
    Chopper - 50
    Nico Ronbin - 80,000,000
    Franky - 44,000,000
    Brook - 33,000,000

Total: 800,000,050
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-09-07 at 02:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Banned

Dude, Blackbeard became a shichibukai with a bounty of zero.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

Right, right. But ... How exactly does one who is only deemed worthy of having a 81 million bounty even in consideration for Shibukai?

Original shibukai bounties at time of supposed resignation from piracy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mihawk - ???
    Doflamingo - 340,000,000
    Moria - 320,000,000
    Kuma - 296,000,000
    Jibe - 250,000,000 (+400,000,000 upon return to piracy)
    Crocodile - 81,000,000
    Hancock - 80,000,000

Total: +1,367,000,000

And, for comparison, Supernova Bounties upon introduction as such, and post time skip (if it is known).

Spoiler
    Show
    Kidd - 315,000,000 (470,000,000)
    Luffy - 300,000,000 (400,000,000)
    Hawkins - 249,000,000 (320,000,000)
    Drake - 222,000,000 (???)
    Law - 200,000,000 (440,000,000)
    Apoo - 198,000,000 (350,000,000)
    Killer - 162,000,000 (200,000,000)
    Bonney - 140,000,000 (???)
    Bege - 138,000,000 (???)
    Zolo - 120,000,000 (???)
    Urouge - 108,000,000 (???)

Total: 2,152,000,000 (+2,402,000,000)

Also, the Straw Hats as of there last known bounty, because why not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Luffy - 400,000,000
    Zolo - 120,000,000
    Nami - 16,000,000
    Usopp - 30,000,000
    Sanji - 77,000,000
    Chopper - 50
    Nico Ronbin - 80,000,000
    Franky - 44,000,000
    Brook - 33,000,000

Total: 800,000,050
    Ok... what the hell did Kid do to have the highest bounty of the Supernovas? I mean Luffy declared war on the world government, busted out of Impel Down along with several of the most dangerous inmates there (including two former Shichibukai and the second in command of the rebel army), declared war Again on the Marine and is the son of the Revolutionary leader.

Dude, Blackbeard became a shichibukai with a bounty of zero.
    IIRC he became a Shichibukai because he was the one that gave Ace to the Marines and he had a bounty of Zero due not being known to the marines at the time.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Ok... what the hell did Kid do to have the highest bounty of the Supernovas? I mean Luffy declared war on the world government, busted out of Impel Down along with several of the most dangerous inmates there (including two former Shichibukai and the second in command of the rebel army), declared war Again on the Marine and is the son of the Revolutionary leader.
    Kidd killed a lot of people. They even say so when they talk about them - Luffy and Kidd both create a major ruckus, but Kidd leaves death on his trail.

IIRC he became a Shichibukai because he was the one that gave Ace to the Marines and he had a bounty of Zero due not being known to the marines at the time.
    Yes, another thing pointing to bounty not being equal to power. People with high bounties are dangerous, that's a fact. People with low bounties are not necessarily less dangerous, they could simply be new (like Blackbeard) or more cautious (like Crocodile).

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Kidd killed a lot of people. They even say so when they talk about them - Luffy and Kidd both create a major ruckus, but Kidd leaves death on his trail.
    I didn't remember that Kidd killed so many people. But I am sure the Strawhat have killed marines during all the bouts with them (I am sure that during the Buster Call they killed some of them)

Yes, another thing pointing to bounty not being equal to power. People with high bounties are dangerous, that's a fact. People with low bounties are not necessarily less dangerous, they could simply be new (like Blackbeard) or more cautious (like Crocodile).
    I am sure that NOT getting a bounty was part of Blackbeard's plans since the start. And frankly I think Crocodile has been one of the most dangerous foe that the Strawhats have fought (not counting the World Government/Marines).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Banned

I didn't remember that Kidd killed so many people. But I am sure the Strawhat have killed marines during all the bouts with them (I am sure that during the Buster Call they killed some of them)
    I'm not so sure. The only people that are officially mentioned as killed by the Strawhats are a pair of numbered agents that Zoro killed offscreen before the story started. I don't think it matters, though - marine are soldiers, so them dying is expected. Kidd killed civilians anf stuff.

I am sure that NOT getting a bounty was part of Blackbeard's plans since the start. And frankly I think Crocodile has been one of the most dangerous foe that the Strawhats have fought (not counting the World Government/Marines).
    Exactly. But he did very few against the World Government. In fact, all Crocodile did against the government was only so he could become a Shichibukai and put his plain in motion.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

Bounties have always meant one thing; how much a threat the World Government thinks you are to THE WORLD GOVERNMENT. Robin wasn't a physical threat at all, yet at age 5 had a bounty in the tens of thousands because she could read polyglyphs (and potentially figure out the origins of the WG). While physical power can matter in a bounties amount, its what you do with it nets you one. Luffy could have had a bounty of 0 up until either letting Robin join or escaping the buster call except for the simple fact he called himself a pirate, meaning when he started taking down regional powerhouses the navy had to respond.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Bounties have always meant one thing; how much a threat the World Government thinks you are to THE WORLD GOVERNMENT.
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Robin wasn't a physical threat at all, yet at age 5 had a bounty in the tens of thousands because she could read polyglyphs (and potentially figure out the origins of the WG). While physical power can matter in a bounties amount, its what you do with it nets you one. Luffy could have had a bounty of 0 up until either letting Robin join or escaping the buster call except for the simple fact he called himself a pirate, meaning when he started taking down regional powerhouses the navy had to respond.
    Exactly.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Dying in One Piece is like romance. It happens sure, just off screen where we the reader never see it. Or in flashbacks.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-09-08 at 05:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Dying in One Piece is like romance. It happens sure, just off screen where we the reader never see it.
    Agreed, Ace seems to be the only exception.
    Even Pell somehow survived what would have been the most badass death in the manga.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dying in One Piece is like romance. It happens sure, just off screen where we the reader never see it. Or in flashbacks.
    Ah-ah-ah. It also happens in flashbacks. And that was your white text. Dammit.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Agreed, Ace seems to be the only exception.
    Even Pell somehow survived what would have been the most badass death in the manga.
    Yeah it's not like they'd kill off Whitebeard or anything. He seems like the kinda guy who would die standing up, but I doubt we'll ever get to see that.
    Last edited by turbo164; 2012-09-10 at 09:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

This is Timmy. Timmy used to be a regular boy with a regular family. But then Timmy's brother became an anime protagonist and pre-emptively killed his own parents in a dramatic flashback. Timmy barely survived by supposedly being killed off-screen. Now Timmy is in foster care, moving from home to home until the writers decide whether or not Timmy should stay dead, or come back as a tragic nemesis to Timmy's brother. The chances of Timmy leading a normal life are less than one in six.

This year alone, flashbacks killed over a thousand supporting characters between two years and two decades ago, pre-emptively snuffing out many lives just so a few protagonists can feel special.

Does losing a loved one really make you feel special? No. It doesn't.

Friends don't let friends have flashbacks. Especially when said friends could have you killed five years ago via those flashbacks.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    Yeah it's not like they'd kill off Whitebeard or anything. He seems like the kinda guy who would die standing up, but I doubt we'll ever get to see that.
    Whitebeard didn't die he just became too badass for the world to contain and ascended to the over-plane of supreme awesome that us mortals cannot even properly comprehend.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Banned

Whitebeard didn't die he just became too badass for the world to contain and ascended to the over-plane of supreme awesome that us mortals cannot even properly comprehend.
    Exactly. What is dead awesome may never die.