New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

There is quite a huge leap from not recognising someone with a mask that conceals his entire face, to actualy mixing 2 very different faces up.

Also, at page 18 he seems to be tapping the ground in front of him with a stick, like sight impaired people sometimes do.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And that chopper cant see its not Zorro and Sanji he has been following, he has newer had any trouble telling people appart before.
    As has already been pointed out, he was one of only two people (out of the entire crew and anyone else during the arc who'd ever met Usopp) who didn't realize that Sogeking and Usopp are the same person.

He's like a little kid. And he's a reindeer. He might have trouble telling the difference between humans. As long as "Zoro" and "Sanji" have the right features and look similarly to when he last saw them, it's definitely possible for him to get confused.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is quite a huge leap from not recognising someone with a mask that conceals his entire face, to actualy mixing 2 very different faces up.

Also, at page 18 he seems to be tapping the ground in front of him with a stick, like sight impaired people sometimes do.
    Page 19 :P And he was just tapping a stick on the ground. Kids do stuff like that all the time.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CorrTerek View Post
    As has already been pointed out, he was one of only two people (out of the entire crew and anyone else during the arc who'd ever met Usopp) who didn't realize that Sogeking and Usopp are the same person.

He's like a little kid. And he's a reindeer. He might have trouble telling the difference between humans. As long as "Zoro" and "Sanji" have the right features and look similarly to when he last saw them, it's definitely possible for him to get confused.
    Also, he actually says that they "sure have changed a lot" in the last two years. So he realizes they look different, but is naive enough to thing that it's just because of whatever happened to them in their prolonged absence.

I really like Zoro's new look and am very interested in learning what became of him under Mihawk - maybe the scar is from their final duel before Zoro left? I feel it would be too early for him to have defeated Mihawk and realized his dream already, but we'll see.

For the rest of the crew:

Franky's hair seems to be missing.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO!
    Still, badass new look. He seems to have built himself shoulders worthy of a Space Marine God-Emperor of Man.

Brook's rockstardom: AWESOME. If I ever learned to play electric guitar, I would want that model and only that model.

Usopp: MANLINESS.

Nami: Like the hair. Not too keen on her getting even more fanservice-y than before.

Sanji: Heh, he grew a beard. Compensating for the threat to his manliness by being stuck on transvestite island?

Robin: Hard to tell anything at all.

Luffy: Can it be...sleeves? Like the big new scar.

So, predictions?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The imposters will get their comeuppance, but the question is how - they don't really even seem worthy of fighting for the newly-powered up straw hats yet (on the other hand they do have notable bounties recruited, it'll be interesting to see if they have any power backing up their claim to being the straw hats - so far they just use guns, which is very unspectacular in One Piece unless your name is Yasopp, Van Auger or Ben Beckman). Maybe they'll get attacked and locked up for their trouble by the marines instead? It seems more appropriate that Luffy and his crew will get to show off their new powers against a Marine force led by and Admiral or Vice Admiral who we know have to be highly badass, and it could be a chance to introduce a possible new Admiral if one of the previous three became the new Fleet Admiral. On the other hand, an Admiral would require a truly titanic battle with Luffy that may also be too early at this point of the story, whereas easily swatting a Vice Admiral or several aside would be a good demonstration of him and his crew's power (we know there's a few swordsmen among them that'd work well as opponents for Zoro) without raising the bar all too high yet.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

So... on the new team... I'm generally fine (expect for making us await until the last effing page to show Zoro).

Nami: Looks fine, nice development, though as much as there used to be already, it's hard to really notie a change.
    Robin: Seems very different to me, ut it's propably just the long hair. I guess she'll be the only one without amazing new skills, but I might be wrong there.
    Sanji & Usopp: Grew the beard, as mentioned before. Guess we'll have to wait what Sanji's new skills are.
    CHopper: Uh... the same, I guess. Except for the slight confusion, apparently.
    Brook: We'll have to see if he will even join again o.o
    Franky: THE HELL?! What happened to you? Sorry, but I'll really need to get used to this new look...
    Ruffy: I didn't really notice much, except for the big scar. But skillwise... damn, I'm sure his next opponent will not be happy.
    Zoro: Lost an eye. Looks kind of cool, though. And as we all know 'One eyed characters are not in the least handicapped by mere things as binocular vision' I wonder how, guess we'll not see in the manga. But he seems to have gotten stronger (not that he wasn't ridicilously strong last time we saw him)

I guess I'll agree with LotH's predictions... they need a chance to show off.

6. - Top - End - #156

I'm actually wondering if Zoro didn't actually lose the eye, but is just keeping it covered for some bizarre training purpose. It just seems...wrong somehow for him of all people to be the pirate with a patch over one eye.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So... on the new team... I'm generally fine (expect for making us await until the last effing page to show Zoro).

Nami: Looks fine, nice development, though as much as there used to be already, it's hard to really notie a change.
    Robin: Seems very different to me, ut it's propably just the long hair. I guess she'll be the only one without amazing new skills, but I might be wrong there.
    Sanji & Usopp: Grew the beard, as mentioned before. Guess we'll have to wait what Sanji's new skills are.
    CHopper: Uh... the same, I guess. Except for the slight confusion, apparently.
    Brook: We'll have to see if he will even join again o.o
    Franky: THE HELL?! What happened to you? Sorry, but I'll really need to get used to this new look...
    Ruffy: I didn't really notice much, except for the big scar. But skillwise... damn, I'm sure his next opponent will not be happy.
    Zoro: Lost an eye. Looks kind of cool, though. And as we all know 'One eyed characters are not in the least handicapped by mere things as binocular vision' I wonder how, guess we'll not see in the manga. But he seems to have gotten stronger (not that he wasn't ridicilously strong last time we saw him)

I guess I'll agree with LotH's predictions... they need a chance to show off.
    Ruffy
    Ruffy
    WHY? Why? Seriously? Jump doesn't do it, VIZ didn't do it. Hell, 4Kids didn't even do it.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-10-06 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    I'm actually wondering if Zoro didn't actually lose the eye, but is just keeping it covered for some bizarre training purpose. It just seems...wrong somehow for him of all people to be the pirate with a patch over one eye.
    But he doesn't have a patch. He just keeps it shut.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    WHY? Why? Seriously? Jump doesn't do it, VIZ didn't do it. Hell, 4Kids didn't even do it?
    It's used in the official German translation, I believe.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2195 View Post
    It's used in the official German translation, I believe.
    I think in some other translations as well, but definitely the German one. I think they chose it because it sounds more badass (it's pronounced Ruffy as in rough-y).

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    I think in some other translations as well, but definitely the German one. I think they chose it because it sounds more badass (it's pronounced Ruffy as in rough-y).

I still like Luffy better. I guess Roughy would be OK, but I'm hearing it Roofy. lol.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

I find new!Franky to be awesome, personally. Also, yay for expert application of Haki. I love how Zoro pulled a Mihawk on that poor pirate crew.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Zoro with one eye closed brought me instantly to Shura No Toki(midshow)/Bleach(Kenpachi.) I'm not buying his lack of it one bit.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by CorrTerek View Post
    I find new!Franky to be awesome, personally. Also, yay for expert application of Haki. I love how Zoro pulled a Mihawk on that poor pirate crew.
    So, first demonstration of Zoro's Mihawkian sword skills. Also, as that Haki shot shows, the imposters really are weaklings. No way they'd actually fight the Straw Hats, it'd be about as one-sided as Luffy vs. Saint Charloss or Luffy vs. Bellamy. I can see Sentomarou and the Pacifistas getting a proper beating, though (Franky vs. Pacifista would make an especially good chance to show what level his new model is at). And since the Marines are coming from G1 and the new Marine HQ is on the other side of the Red Line, we're more likely to see Vice Admirals than an Admiral showing up.

Franky's design... will take some getting used to, to be honest. His hair shall be greatly missed.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry about the 'Ruffy' thing. Just been around the German translation too long and it's become a habit. I don't really prefer either, but generally try to stick with Luffy for your sake, okay? Just didn't pay attentionin the last post...

Anyway, I guess a few pacifistas, maybe one each would be a good enugh chance to show off. I'm not betting on admirals and am a bit on a loss as who are vice-admirals (except for Garb) so I'm not sure if it would be a good match. Guess we'll see in a week or two.

OMG, he's hiding a sharingan!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

I must say i liked the old Franky better so far, but there is allways a chance he will chance to a more human-looking model again i guess.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I must say i liked the old Franky better so far, but there is allways a chance he will chance to a more human-looking model again i guess.
    I'm with you, but he said: "First and probably last" unless I'm mistaken.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I'm with you, but he said: "First and probably last" unless I'm mistaken.
    Maybe it's a kind of "battle mode"? Not that I think it's likely. The new Franky looks too... weird for me.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Franky's design... will take some getting used to, to be honest. His hair shall be greatly missed.
    Well, that's true. I do miss his Ace Ventura hair.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Silver2195 View Post
    But he doesn't have a patch. He just keeps it shut.
    Eh, I meant in the stereotypical pirate form. One of the things I like about the Straw Hats is non-piratey they are for pirates. Yelling for meat and ale is one thing, but having them hobbling around on peg legs while waving their hook'd arms and ranting about the seagull that cost them their eye on their first day with the hook kinda kills it.

Two things to note:

1) I am no longer allowed to read One Piece at work, especially the end of Thriller Bark. People get confused when I get teary eyed over singing pirates.

2) No more reading One Piece, Berserk, and Bakumon at the same time. Oh, not because its difficult to keep track of the plots, but because after a while it looks like Zoro is battling Guts for control of the Shonen Jump editorial department...

Damned, that sounds like an awesome crackfic. I think I may have to write that one up tomorrow...
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

The hair is back, seemed Oda was saying "Oh you didn't like this about Franky? No biggie, he just TRANSFORMS!" On a more serious note Brook is awesome, and I'm tired of the fakes.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was wondering if Luffy would fall for the fakes like Chopper did. It's cool, though -- I'm pretty sure he's either gonna pound them into the ground or the rest of the crew is going to show up and help him pound them into the ground.

Also, I like how Brook managed to echo Whitebeard's defiance -- "One Piece exists!" sounds so much like "The pirate Straw Hat Luffy is alive!" Both broadcast to pretty much the entire world. So very awesome.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    The hair is back, seemed Oda was saying "Oh you didn't like this about Franky? No biggie, he just TRANSFORMS!" On a more serious note Brook is awesome, and I'm tired of the fakes.
    I just can't wait to see the Straw Hats utterly destroy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Oficially Zoro has become the most Badass! of all the Straw Hats

Badass normal? check
    Badass swords? double check
    Badass battle scars? check, check, check and check.
    Badass longcoat? CHECK!!!!
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

DAM YOU ONEPIECE! STOP BEING APPEALING TO ME! I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME AS IT IS! Sooooo want Luffy to clobber the fakes right about now.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

I have a feeling Luffy will beat all the fakes on his own.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's what I'm hoping. Though I'd really like to see what the other Straw Hats can do now.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And I have a feeling Luffy will beat all the fakes AND all the rookies with them on his own.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else think the caribou brothers are going to find themselves in danger of being stomped by a certain reindeer?
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Y'know, now that we can see Chopper's reindeer form actually does look different from before, is anyone else wondering if his human form and rumble ball forms have also grown, or changed in some way?

I figure it's gonna end up in a big showdown between the Marines, the fakes and the Straw Hats. Luffy gets to beat down Sentomaru, Franky and maybe Sanji get a Pacifista, and maybe Vice Admiral Momonga will show up in time to lose a swordfight to Zoro. The fakes and their rookies will be utterly crushed between them.

Alternatively, the real Luffy will beat all the fakes before the other Straw Hats or the Marine reinforcements even arrive, which would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Oficially Zoro has become the most Badass! of all the Straw Hats

Badass normal? check
    Badass swords? double check
    Badass battle scars? check, check, check and check.
    Badass longcoat? CHECK!!!!
    I refuse to accept "normal" as description of a guy who started out being able to wield a sword with his mouth and throw buildings around - and only went upwards from there. This is One Piece, anyone who can reasonably be described as "normal" is so far from Badass that they couldn't see it with the Hubble Telescope

Spoiler
    Show