New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: All The Kings Men... (Dark*Matter IC)

The first thing to go through Emrys' mind, oddly enough, is a slightly detached thought about Shawn of the Dead as he raises his aim point with a detached calm.

Right. Zombie goggle-wearing alligator lizards that walk as men.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The 9mm recoils into Emrys' palm, and a moment later, a small chunk of its abdomen is removed. The creature only turns toward Emrys, its deformed face in a silent rictus.
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"
    - Darkpuppy, on Wizards in his DnD games.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

All The Kings Men IC (DEAD)
    All The Kings Men OOC (DEAD)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

Nguyen Nguyen gapes at the shambling monstrosity. Its resemblance to a Kinori pulls at a deep and primal fear, but she masters it and takes stock of the situation. She looks at the pistol in her hand and then across the long yards to the creature. I can't do it. Its too far, she thinks. But its coming this way... just have to wait for the right opportunity... if the tranquilizer will even work on whatever that is...

Spoiler
    Show
    She's delaying all her actions this round so she'll go first next round. I read that I can do that. :)
    "Everyone may be ordinary, but they're not normal."
    — Haruki Murakami

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Isaac lifts his phone up and starts recording the action, focusing primarily on the creature, but also trying to keep Huntingbear and/or Thao in frame when he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Figure getting useful footage would probably need a Perception or Creativity—Cinematography check, so here’s a roll for ya. Apply whatever situation mods may be called for (Cinematography has base +1 due to use from broad skill):
    Camera work - (1d20)[19]—With Isaac’s Bad Luck, that’s a Crit Failure. At least it’s not a gun he’s shooting.

And next round’s action check…
    Action Check - (1d20)[17]—Marginal again.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-09-24 at 10:15 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, just Mordaenor, then the beastie until the next round. Shhalahr, I'm afraid that, when you review the footage, it's jumpy as all hell, and will provide very little, but you may get better footage next round. As to Psyke's crit fail, I'm going to rule that his gun jams, and will require at least a full round to unjam.

As a final note, Zanzabarb, you are quite correct in your reading, and that was well thought out.
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Michael keeps a cool head, raises his weapon, and fires, aiming for the creature's kneecap. "If its a live specimen they want...

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[6] I believe that's a Hit.
    Last edited by Mordaenor; 2010-09-24 at 11:13 PM.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ordinary Success, modifiers for range cancelled by called shot, doing (1d4)[3] + 2 Wound, (1d3)[1] of which is downgraded. So that's a total of 7 wound, 6 stun (forgot to account for wounds also causing stun)

The creature's left kneecap is entirely removed by the blast, and it awkwardly falls on one knee, one hand pulling it forward, the rest outstretched. It cannot turn very well, but still tries to turn towards its new target, Corporal Huntingbear.
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-24 at 11:28 PM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

8. - Top - End - #128

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we're on to the next phase, so its my go? Also, is it possible to close the distance at a walk? I don't want to take another penalty...also, do I get a bonus because its crawling feebly along the ground?

Nguyen Nguyen stands and walks briskly towards Huntingbear and the creature on the ground. As she strides forward, she calls out, "Hold on Corporal! Before you dice up our specimen, I'd like to try sedating it."

When she has got come as close as she considers safe (given the creature's current rate of movement) and gets the right end of the pistol pointed at the beast, she takes careful aim and fires.

untrained pistol - (1d20)[19]

Spoiler
    Show
    Ha ha! Unless I get one mighty, mighty situational bonus that's a miss, but not a Critical Failure because its not a 20? Let me know what happens and I'll RP it. oh man, at least some of us on this team can shoot... time to hit the pistol range.
    Last edited by Zanzabarb; 2010-09-25 at 05:49 AM.
    — Haruki Murakami

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, no situational bonus was gonna save that... But, as you say, it's not a crit fail, so you merely miss with a tranq gun from 5 feet away. And then the creature acts. Crawl forwards, then Melee attack on Corp H-Bear (1d20)[16] + (1d6)[3] . And, after that, Emrys' gun jams.

The creature, now on the ground, is almost pitiful as it tries to claw ineffectually at Corporal Huntingbear from a prone position. It growls, and hisses, but it is heavily injured, and can no longer seem to get up its strength.
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-26 at 07:54 AM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

10. - Top - End - #130

"Oh!" Nguyen Nguyen exclaims as the pistol recoils in her hands. Opening her eyes she thinks, Bother all, I missed. Although on second thought its not surprising as she had to open her eyes to check. She flips on the safety and offers the pistol, handle first, towards Huntingbear. "Perhaps you should do the honors, Corporal."

Although I wonder if we shouldn't just put him out of his misery. Nguyen scans her memory for anything she's ever heard that could account for the man's condition or if there may be any hope for him.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming there is a penalty on this roll because its something totally bizarre, but she's a smart cookie so I'll give it a shot. medical knowledge - (1d20)[5]
    — Haruki Murakami

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I shall save your action till the next Amazing phase, as it's actually Marginal now (Emrys took his action, his gun jammed), but yes, there is a modifier, rolling now... (1d8)[2] + 5 = 7 (Good Result)
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-26 at 11:10 AM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Isaac continues filming.

Spoiler
    Show
    Camera - (1d20)[16]
    Assuming this sort of thing can’t really fail (except on the creit) and would be a Marginal result, then, yes?
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-09-26 at 12:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

HalflingPirate

With the creature now with arms reach, Michael drops his pistol, and quickly draws a large combat knife and takes a swipe, aiming to disable the attacking arm rather than kill the creature outright.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[10] - my specialty (1d4)[3] = 7
    Last edited by Mordaenor; 2010-09-27 at 07:58 AM.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

Emrys doesn't react noticably to the creatures accumulation of wounds; he continues to aim his weapon at the creature, seemingly oblivious to his companions close proximity to it. The empty *click* as the weapon jams is perhaps a blessing as Huntingbear closes quarters.

Emrys pulls the trigger a second time, to no avail. The unfocused look in his eyes seems to be shifting to one of concern and lack of understanding as he tries to pull the trigger a third time.

His hearbeat and the rushing of blood in his ears create a dim soundtrack for the action scene playing out in front of him.

It's like a movie...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    *sighs* bloody roll mechanic. 4 wounds dealt, in the next post, will sort out how many were blocked. It was a good result, btw

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-27 at 12:48 PM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4)[4] were downgraded to stun. Hehe, so its at 7 wounds, 10 stun. Description follows.

Corporal Huntingbear's blade impacts with the arm of the creature, bruising it heavily, but not having its intended effect. The creature looks unhurt by the combat knife blow, and it shows no signs of having noticed.
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-27 at 12:51 PM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Since the beastie acts first, it shall continue to attack Corporal Huntingbear. Attack roll: (1d20)[15] + (1d4)[4], and base damage (in case it hits) is (1d4)[4]

The creature continues to claw at Corporal Huntingbear, mindless in its determination and ferocity as he nimbly avoids its flailing claws.
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-27 at 08:47 PM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Emrys bangs the butt of the gun ineffectively on the hood of the van, wrestles with the slide, and eventually, somehow, manages to eject the unusable round, which rolls down the newly-dented hood with a dull rattle.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Though visibly concerned for Huntingbear’s safety, Isaac continues his camera work.

[color=Camerawork]1d20[/roll] + Situation (??) (( D’oh. ))

Spoiler
    Show
    Action Check for Round 4: Action Check - (1d20)[19] Marginal again. I’m not gonna get any use out of my 2 actions per round at this rate.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-09-28 at 09:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Let’s try this again ))

Camerawork - (1d20)[1] (( Wow! Crit success! ))

(( Still not sure what the whole situation die is, though… ))
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-09-28 at 09:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, Isaac, the main sit mod is that you're a bit far away, giving you (1d4)[2] on top of your 1, but, with a 1 on your control die, I'm going to rule that a crit success. Your hand is steady, you get some clear indications of its behaviour and physiology on camera, so yeah, good one!

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

22. - Top - End - #142

Dr. Thao winces as the Corporal lashes at the beast with his knife. "Corporal," she says a bit louder, "do me a favor - restrain or sedate that thing so I can get a closer look.... please."

Hearing a sharp noise from the direction of the van, she turns and sees Issac filming. "Issac, come a bit closer. I'd like you to capture some detail shots for me."

Spoiler
    Show
    She'll delay her action(examination) until after the corporal has gone. Which brings up a question: How do you want to handle communication in action? Would this count as her first action or is there some amount of talk allowed without penalty? I know when playing face to face there is often a lot of table talk that sort of slips in and out of character.
    — Haruki Murakami

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    So long as it's within reason, I don't see talking as affecting actions. Anything detailed I'll assume is an action.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

24. - Top - End - #144

HalflingPirate

Michael accepts the tranquilizer gun as he switches the knife to his off hand. In one swift motion he snaps the safety off, brings the weapon to bear and squeezes the trigger. "Only one shot at this, Doctor."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[9] Ordinary, I think? Point blank against a crippled target.
    Last edited by Mordaenor; 2010-09-29 at 08:01 AM.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Because it's a pistol, it is, in fact, a fail without modifiers, but thankfully, as you note, a prone, crippled target, making a -2 bonus , which takes off (1d8)[6]. Damage, in order of success from Ordinary to Amazing, would be (1d4)[4]-1w/(1d4)[2]w/(1d4)[4]+1w , with the creature's natural armour downgrading (1d4)[1] (Think it was 1d4. Will modify the result downwards if not). If one wound gets in, it needs a CON check, no resistance modifier, so (1d20)[11]. Editing with results.

EDIT: 2 wounds (Good result), 1 wound gets through, 1 wound gets downgraded to stun. I will show the results in pure IC form.

Although not as familiar with pistols as a rifle, Corporal Huntingbear aims carefully at the base of the neck, and pulls the trigger. The dart sinks in with a sickening thunk, and over half of the vial within the dart empties. The creature quickly slumps to the floor, and, although it appears to be still breathing, it is neither moving nor showing any signs of consciousness, although, disturbingly, its eyes are still open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Realised I made a bit of an error in describing the lights being off as unusual. At around lunchtime, they certainly would be. :(

Benmann Farm, Nr. Yorkshire Moors, 12:10 (18 minutes elapsed since entry to site)
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-09-29 at 11:04 AM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

26. - Top - End - #146

HalflingPirate

Corporal Huntingbear looks at the slumped creature, as he returns the tranq to Doctor Thao. He recovers and re-holsters his pistol but keeps his combat knife at the ready, still not convinced that the tranq actually worked. He mutter to himself, "It uses the dead as its guardians."
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

(( If we’re doing Creativity—Cinematography, then it’s also by broad skill for me, so that’d be an additional +1 step.

Anyway, we’re out of combat now, right? So for the most part, shouldn’t need to roll for that? ))

Isaac gets closer, as Dr. Thao requested. “should probably also get some stills.”

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Emrys is hardly the first thing on anyone's mind, right now. There are bigger concerns.

So the next time someone looks around, he's nowhere in sight, although he is quickly and easily found... he seems to have sat himself down, right where he was, behind the tire of the van. At the moment, he's cleaning his weapon, staring at it intently as it sits in his lap.

The incongruity of doing so in the middle of a field of rotting animal carcasses, or of sitting down in the dirt rather than in the van, does not seem to weigh upon his mind... at all.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, you're taking photos, not in combat, have the broad skill... I'd agree there's not really a call for rolling here, especially since Dr. Thao will be directing Isaac exactly where to take the pictures, based on her medical roll which, I believe, will be resolved very soon.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

30. - Top - End - #150

After taking the tranquilizer back, Nguyen Nguyen wastes no time descending on the creature. She presses her stethoscope against its chest while her other hand crawls across its abdomen like a latex covered spider.

As per usual, she starts speaking to no one in particular and thinks absently, perhaps I should get a tape recorder.

"Stimulus-reaction response sets, but it displayed little to no sign of pain stimulus.... no blood from the wounds.... Hypostasis in the extremities and abdomen suggest time of death to be several hours ago. The lungs are still active, however without cardiovascular activity this is likely reflexive."

She pauses here and looks up at her colleagues with a very serious, almost apologetic expression, "Its difficult to say if this.. thing.. is sedated when by most accounts its already been dead for hours... I'll need to take it back to a lab for further analysis."

"Issac, can you take a few shots of these mutations in the limbs and face?"
    She picks up an arm and, by pressing, on a tendon, causes the dew-claw to flex. "Amazing. Complete functional mutation. I've never heard of anything like this. Look at the changes to the bone structure in the face...." Dr. Thao pulls back the upper lip with her thumb while she turns the head for Issac to get a better shot. "This snout-like protrusion and the shape of the teeth are distinctly reptilian. Such a drastic mutation must have been unbelievably painful. I hope he was dead before it began..."

"What's this then? Issac take a shot of this."
    She points to a hole in the back of the neck where the skin is the most scaly and thoroughly altered. "This hole would appear to be where the mutagen was injected. Strangely similar to those I found....on the.... livestock..." Her voice trails off as her mind pieces together a truly frightening possibility. "Gentlemen, can you help me get this thing into the van? I think it may be time to report back to the Institute."
    — Haruki Murakami