New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: All The Kings Men... (Dark*Matter IC)

"Sure, but wasn't it one of the Americans who said 'keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out'? Me for one, I'll be thankful if it's somebody taking the piss with an old fella."

Emrys directs his gaze back to Mr. Davies for a moment.

"Hey, nice to be workin' for someone... er... new." He seems to finish lamely, apparently rethinking whatever he was going to say about the director.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Another slight grin. Others may get the impression that any show of happiness or amusement from the Corporal is always the slightest bit forced. "Perhaps that's why the wisest among my people wear such elaborate headdresses. Helps keep their brains in."
    Last edited by Mordaenor; 2010-12-07 at 01:13 PM.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Isaac chuckles a bit before adding, “We’re sure he’s talking about literal faeries, right? Not using some, ah… colorful language?”
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Iain has been patiently listening to all of this, chuckling every now and again as he hears a particularly amusing comment, but finally interrupts. "Well, lads and ladies, let me deal with a few of those comments before I send you to the darling lads at requisitions, who will not be providing you with much more than the stuff you already have. No risk of biohazards here, I dare say, and possibly little risk of anything interesting, too."

Turning to the doctor "Doc, milady, while I would also love to consign this one to the rubbish bin and get on with some real work, suffice to say, the child is gone, he believes faeries, specifically sidhe, not the tinkly-wee folk, have nicked him, and he is both rich enough and tampin' enough to make sure you have a lot of trouble should you say he's crazy. To his face or anywhere he's likely to hear."

He continues "As for the comments of the gents, in order, say what you want, butt, the fact you're here means you're in **** with His Nibs anyways, and he asks me nothing 'cept 'Do you think they're bored out of their skulls yet?'... three weeks before he calls 'em back to normal duties. Next up, you've got a good sense o' humour, keep it up, and you'll do well. Finally, Mr. Thorson, i'nit? Yeah, problem is, when someone says 'faeries', they immediately think Tinkerbell and other victorian tinkly-wee-folk, when, in fact, it can mean a lot of things. For example, if the things he described wore very red clothing and had red hands, I'd have said we were looking for a forensics crew, as opposed to investigator/negotiators. But we're in luck, 'cos he describes bog standard sidhe... tall, high cheekbones, almond eyes, don't like cold iron, that sorta thing."

He looks around "And that's pretty much our briefing, because that's all we really know. Bloke's rich, approved building of a Tescos on green belt land, and now his son's missing and he says it's sidhe. You may now enjoy any non-alcoholic beverage with some biscuits of your choice for the next ten minutes and chat, before heading down to requisitions in prep for tomorrow."
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-12-08 at 02:38 PM.
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"
    - Darkpuppy, on Wizards in his DnD games.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

All The Kings Men IC (DEAD)
    All The Kings Men OOC (DEAD)

5. - Top - End - #245

HalflingPirate

"Tomorrow? It's barely 10 in the morning, why not take care of this today?"
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Emrys simply nods and gathers up his things for the trip down to requisitions.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Iain smiles, more gently this time "Well, butt, there are two reasons. One, your insurance policy, some cold-iron daggers, haven't arrived yet, and two, our client Mr. Jackson arranged the meeting with you lads and lasses for 3PM tomorrow... so you'll be leaving tomorrow morning to get there."

Suddenly remembering as people start packing up their things, Iain calls out "If you're forced to use those daggers, lads and ladies, don't forget that cold iron is actually fairly fragile, so be bloody careful with them! Luckily, they're not expensive, but they are requisitions, so don't use 'em unless you have to!"
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

8. - Top - End - #248

HalflingPirate

Michael nods and proceeds to help himself to a non-alcoholic beverage.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

9. - Top - End - #249
    Halfling in the Playground

Nguyen Nguyen concedes the point to Iain and talking only to herself says, "If a race of sentient reptilians can exist unknown to the modern world, why not a secret society of pre-Celtic humans..."
    Then smiling to her companions says a bit louder, "We'd better get some horseshoes too."

Then she stands and gathers her things. "I'm heading home to get some rest. I'll see you all tomorrow and we'll go deal with this rich nutter." Holding up a hand to forestall any further comments from Iain she adds, "Who will hence forth be known respectfully as Mr. Nutter."
    "Everyone may be ordinary, but they're not normal."
    — Haruki Murakami

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Isaac follows along with Michael in taking advantage of a drink before heading to Requisitions.

11. - Top - End - #251

HalflingPirate

Taking a cup of coffee, Michael turns back to Iain. "And what exactly should we expect from these 'sidhe' if they turn out to be exactly what Mr. Nutter says they are? Are they normally hostile towards humans?"
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Edited to allow Mordaenor's question... apologies!

Iain looks at Corporal Huntingbear, suddenly serious. "If it's genuine, and they're hostile... expect a short future, with sharp pointy things featuring prominently. Think of sidhe as eco-terrorists with mind altering pheromones, and you're as close to the truth as any rational mind can take it. Be careful."

April 1st, 2010, 07:30

Having arrived at the Hoffman Institute, the standard HI people carrier is waiting, along with the familiar figure of Iain Davies, looking uncharacteristically cheery for one of the dampest, foggiest mornings you've had since you arrived.

"Well, lads and ladies, I've got all the kit in the van, and the good boss at requisitions was nice enough to let me fill in all the details, just leaving you to put your Hancock down in the right places." he chuckles as he hands over a small plastic folder and four pens. "In any case, I hope you've got your ol' bang-tubes with you, and you carry the lovely little daggers supplied as well. Don't let on to Mr. Nutter that you've got the former, in case things get ugly with him, and do let on you've got the latter if there are the pointy-eared-types about, in case they get tampin'!"

as he says this, he looks at his watch, and laughs out loud "Oh, this is too funny! April Fool's, where you can't trust anything!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, I only just realised as I started typing, what day it was IC! Oh, my!
    Last edited by darkpuppy; 2010-12-13 at 04:18 PM.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

Emrys easily hands over the signed document, again exercising caution in checking over the firearm before placing it in the toolbox in the boot. He barely pays attention to the blade as he deposits it in the same place.

He seems to be doing his best to ignore the suspicious timing, apart from an involuntary grimace.

14. - Top - End - #254

HalflingPirate

Michael also signs the forms, and mentally notes that April 1st is yet another reason to regret the modernization of his tribe.
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

15. - Top - End - #255

"Well, that's apt." Nguyen Nguyen says as she takes the form to sign. "I'm sure it did not escape Parsons' attention."

She hands her firearm wordlessly to Emrys for a wipe down and storage in the boot. Its strange how things like this can become routine so quickly, she muses. The dagger she puts carefully into her leather shoulder bag.
    — Haruki Murakami

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

“I’m sure it didn’t,” Isaac agrees with Nguyen. He signs the form as well.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-12-15 at 08:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257

HalflingPirate

Michael picks up the dagger, and examines it with a carful eye, comparing it to his own combat knife. Definitely lighter, more like a toy compared to what he's used to. He turns it over carefully in his hand, then tucks it away. "Well, shall I go get the car?"
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give one more day for posts before the characters make the journey, just to make sure I don't **** up timed posts again.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

April 1st, 2010, 14:00-15:00

Bone tired from the long drive, the team head toward the nearest hotel, pay the exorbitant 24 hour parking price (Ł30), and pay the hotel costs. After a stiff coffee, they make their way to the requested meeting place, a large house near the town centre.

Mr. Jackson is a tall, athletic man in his early 40s, and is obviously english. Upon opening the door, he does not waste his time with introductions.

"So, you're the people the agency sent, hrm? Well, you're certainly an interesting group, but I want to know what you're going to do about my son!"

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

“Well, that’s what we’re about to find out,” Isaac reesponds. “May we come in and get to business?”

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Mr. Jackson stands aside and waves you in. Following him to the dining room, it is quite easy to note that Mr. Jackson is unafraid of showing his wealth. Several high quality paintings and wall hangings adorn the walls, along with what may possibly be genuine african tribal art from the Bennu tribe, and the furniture is also high quality.

He brusquely gestures for the group to sit, and asks each of the group whether they would like something to drink. "No point in discussing business without hospitality, after all." , he smiles slightly as he says this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone making a Perception - Awareness or Security Broad Skill check at Good or better will notice that the place has enough security to make a small bank seem inadequate. The Good result needed is due to the subtlety of placement. Anyone making a separate Awareness - Perception or Medical Science (Psychology) at Good will note that Mr. Jackson is in a state of acute stress, although he hides it well.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Security Perception - (1d20)[20]
    Anxiety Perception - (1d20)[19]
    That’s two crits. Does that mean anything in this case?
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2011-01-05 at 07:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately so, since they one is a fail, and the first is a crit fail... Isaac spots the glint of a security camera, but misunderstands it as a weapon barrel. As to the anxiety, he completely fails to notice... Ouch..

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    They’re both Crit Fails. Isaac has Bad Luck. Hence “two crits.”

As for the anxiety, Isaac will probably use Empathy to help direct the conversation, anyway.

25. - Top - End - #265

Nguyen Nguyen walks confidently into the room without speaking. She has decided to keep her opinions to herself until her skills are needed one way or the other. She's still a bit put off by the assignment and would much rather be investigating the Kinori. Her mind strays and she spends some time studying the African art.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been gone a couple weeks and I can't even remember the proper dice tags? Man. Posting in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Zanzabarb; 2011-01-07 at 01:55 AM.
    — Haruki Murakami

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    daaaamn, I am impressed with these rolls! Mord, I have a reply for your PM already done, I suspect H-Bear will be suitably impressed, and a watered down version for those who got a good or better (currently only Nguyen).

Shhalahr, double checked, and you are indeed correct, two crit fails, so you also assume that he is angry at you, and this gives you a +1 step penalty on your empathy checks for the rest of the scene, on top of the nervousness you already feel from feeling you have a gun pointed in your direction (no step penalty to empathy, but your reaction is your own).

Nguyen fails to notice the anxiety, but notices the security system, H-Bear notices the security system and the anxiety. As for the african art, Social Science is technically what you marked, and you may quote any fact about the Bennu tribe to get a 1-step reaction bonus from Mr. Jackson. Might have to double check the spelling, dimly remembering them and their busts from my humanities taster, two years back...

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

27. - Top - End - #267

HalflingPirate

Michael notes that Mr. Jackson seems tense, but disregards it. The man's son is missing, that would put most people on edge. That's why they were here. He takes a quick survey of the room before sitting, and accepting the offer of a drink. "Perhaps you ought to start to from the beginning, Mr. Jackson."
    O! For a muse of Fire!

Maxwell Stark

28. - Top - End - #268

Despite her decision to stay quiet, Dr. Thao cannot help but comment on the man's collection of African art. "This mask here is a rare piece. Quite lovely. Such bold abstraction in the form suggests a tribe along the Benue River - Nigeria... but further North near the Bauchi Plateau, unless I miss my guess."

Nguyen does not sit, but continues to circle the room and under the guise of examining the art looks for anything else of interest or out of place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Couldn't find Bennu Tribe. I found the Benue River or the Bantu peoples or the mythical Benu bird (that "came to be connected with three important gods consisting of Atum, Re and Osiris") and some other potential variations, but I figured it didn't really matter.
    — Haruki Murakami

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Isaac lets Mr. Jackson answer the questions while he tries to confirm his suspicions of Mr. Jackson’s state.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Empathy]1d20[/url] + [roll=Situation]1d4[/url]

Empathy: 1d20 + 1d4 = 9 + 3 = 12. An Ordinary Success.

Yay. Should correct Isaac’s initial impression and give him a -1 bonus on further encounter skills. Still has to worry about the “guns” though.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2011-01-12 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Why the hell did I end those with url tags?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

@Shhalahr You are somewhat confused when your empathic reading shows that he is not, in fact, angry, merely anxious. You're still worried about the gun barrel though.

@Everyone

Mr. Jackson is about to start his story, but he suddenly turns at Dr. Thao's voice, first anxiously raising his hand (as his collection is rather obviously expensive, and often fragile), but lowers it when he hears her expert appraisal. "Why, that's most intriguing. I must admit, I'd never checked the background myself, but it gives me a great respect for the artist. They used to trade with the dutch, apparently, but were then enslaved and maltreated by the english." He chuckles "As a welshman, I can sympathise with their plight."

He turns, his manner calmer, but he occasionally shudders and twitches as he remembers things, and has a nasty habit of stopping and starting. "It all started... must have been six months ago... when the planning was approved. Of course, those idiots in the town started talking about local business, loss of jobs, all the usual things... Don't they realise we'd actually gain jobs? ... But anyway... They came... that night... They were..." He pauses for a few seconds, as if confused, and then continues. "And they told me that if I wasn't to stop the construction, the... treaty with our family... whatever that means... would be broken..."

He stops, obviously unsettled, but takes a deep breath, and continues. "I... I can't tell you how they got my Liam, only when... the cameras... caught nothing... And my night security were..." he stops, and his face goes purple at the memory "THEY WERE ASLEEP... AND THEY DIDN'T REMEMBER A DAMN THING!" mastering himself somewhat, he continues bitterly "I fired them all, of course, and hired new staff. My..." He turns away from everyone, temporarily unable to continue.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC